PDA

View Full Version : Coach Spoelstra's "Reward System" will it continue working?

Swashcuff
12-13-2010, 09:21 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/13/1970663/big-3-given-free-reign-to-run.html

A simple reward system has contributed to the Heat's current run of eight consecutive blowout victories.

If Dwyane Wade grabs a defensive rebound, he has the green light to do whatever he wants offensively. If LeBron James makes a defensive stop, he controls his own game on the other end of the court.

These are the parameters set by coach Erik Spoelstra, and the chance for offensive freedom has helped spark the most dominant winning streak in franchise history.

``Our job is to defend and then we get rewarded with what we want to do on offense,'' James said.

The Heat (17-8) has defeated eight consecutive teams by double digits -- a franchise record -- and returned home early Sunday morning from a four-game road trip that concluded with a 16.5-point average margin of victory.

Two weeks after losing four of five games, the Heat is now riding high and ranked at or near the top of the NBA in several defensive categories:

IMPROVING NUMBERS

Second in the NBA in points allowed (91.3).

Tied for first with Boston in point differential (plus-9.7).

First in opponents' field-goal percentage (42.7).

First in opponents' three-point percentage (31.3).

``We wanted to be the best defensive team in the league when we first got together and that was a goal we set for ourselves and we've been working hard enough to accomplish that,'' said forward Chris Bosh, who had a season-high 17 rebounds Saturday against the Kings. ``As much work as we put in and as much focus as we bring to the game, it's really been helping us out.''

Spoelstra wants defensive stops and the Heat's players want to run. It's that simple. During its four-game road trip, the Heat outrebounded opponents 192-140, or 13 more a game. During that span, the Heat averaged 19 fast-break points.

``We start with defense and if we get stops, then it's open court for us,'' James said. ``We just try to put pressure on the opposing defenses also when we get stops.''

Said Wade: ``[Coach] said, `If y'all get stops, if y'all get rebounds, then y'all can do whatever y'all want,' so as players we enjoy that. When the ball goes through the basket, then we've got to do what he wants us to do.''

Why the spike in rebounds? Bosh said Saturday that it was just a matter of time before the new team became comfortable with Spoelstra's defensive schemes.

``When the defensive schemes are different than before, you're just in different areas of the court, you're in different position and you have to learn how to get in there and get your rebounds,'' Bosh said.

BACK ON TOP

The Heat's eight-game win streak, coupled with four straight losses by the Magic, rocketed Miami into first place in the Southeast Division.

And on Sunday, James had moved up to eighth in the league in scoring (24.2 points per game) while Wade was 11th (23.1).

``I think I'm getting more comfortable,'' James said. ``I had seven years of the same thing, knowing what to expect in Cleveland. I knew every night I went onto the basketball court I had to be great to give us an opportunity to win.

``This is a different situation for me and I'm still getting comfortable but I'm feeling good.''

Monday brings a new challenge. On short rest, the Heat plays the Hornets at AmericanAirlines Arena.

It's yet another chance at payback against a team that defeated the Heat earlier this season. The Hornets (14-9) have lost two in a row and seven of their last 10.

``We're a different ball club,'' Wade said. ``We know our identity now.''

Since it is being seen as the reason behind the Miami Heat's recent success and dominance do you guys think it will be able to motivate the big 3 over the course of the entire season?

Baller1
12-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Sounds very elementary, but pretty cool. And it's obviously working.

Sir Buckets
12-13-2010, 09:30 PM
We'll see.

What's more interesting than the system itself is the reason it had to be implemented.

dodie53
12-13-2010, 09:31 PM
nice system.
:)

SNYmets86
12-13-2010, 09:37 PM
what if u foul , whats ur reward

Tony_Starks
12-13-2010, 09:49 PM
I just heard about that this morning. You know what, it sounds really basic but if you think about it its really a good deal. For one its a defensive incentive and for two it takes some of the awkwardness away from Wade and Bron as far as who's going to shoot.

I could see a high school coach trying this but to try it at the NBA level coach Spo has really got some stones.

Gators123
12-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Poor Bosh doesn't get a reward :laugh2:

dnewguy
12-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Poor Bosh doesn't get a reward :laugh2:

He got a max deal and he also get to chill at his multi-million dollar house in South Beach.

Gators123
12-13-2010, 09:57 PM
He got a max deal and he also get to chill at his multi-million dollar house in South Beach.

haha true

dtmagnet
12-13-2010, 10:21 PM
lol and if you score a basket do you get a banana sticker? What is this pre-school?

Byronicle
12-13-2010, 10:21 PM
1 of the 8 wins were against good teams in Utah Jazz and 1 win against a Joe Johnson - Less Hawks

the rest of the 6 were against bad teams that are all under 0.500...

will this reward system work against the likes of Boston, Mavericks, Spurs, Lakers, Orlando, Chicago, and dare I saw New York?

people are easy on them now, but not so long ago when they were losing to good teams people were up and arms, and people are forgetting that they only beaten crap teams big time. once they start messing with the big boys I guarantee the hate and blaming will be back

Raph12
12-13-2010, 10:28 PM
I want to see them play someone a bit tougher (LA, Boston, SA, Dallas, etc...) before I can call the transition to elite status complete.

iggypop123
12-13-2010, 11:16 PM
it might just be them making their jumpshots

RulerSlick
12-13-2010, 11:29 PM
1 of the 8 wins were against good teams in Utah Jazz and 1 win against a Joe Johnson - Less Hawks

That same Joe Johnsonless team that beat orlando:D

kozelkid
12-13-2010, 11:31 PM
lol and if you score a basket do you get a banana sticker? What is this pre-school?

No kidding. Shows this team's maturity.

avrpatsfan
12-13-2010, 11:49 PM
That's a great idea actually. I feel bad for Spo. He doesn't deserve all of the heat (No pun intended) That being said this is a very good idea.

LAcowBOMBER
12-14-2010, 12:02 AM
The fact that this system has to be put in place is ridiculous to me. You're NBA players, maybe you should play defense and get rebounds because it's your job, not because it lets you do what you want on offense.

Sandman
12-14-2010, 12:03 AM
I think it works, at least for now, because it forces them to decide ahead of time and be definitive about who will dominate the ball and it also motivates them on the defensive side. It makes them play off each other.

This a pretty creative implementation on a team where the biggest problem has been and will be LeBron and DWade sharing the ball.

justinnum1
12-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Looks like it's working to me:D

kntresistheheat
12-14-2010, 12:15 AM
Man, I cant believe there still so much hate....No matter what they talk about the heat! At least its working.

The Flash
12-14-2010, 12:20 AM
The whole method teaches them how to play better...IT's working. we're getting so much better every day

Russollini
12-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Spo is an awful coach....try drawing up a damn play for a change. I read this last night and saw that they can play playground ball if they defend. That is crap, and against a good team will be squashed as they will put on a full court press.

justinnum1
12-14-2010, 12:28 AM
Guess we are going to have to beat ny, dallas, and la next week before we can shut some haters up. Thats fine, but the Heat are heating up, cle massacre part 2 on wed.

Geargo Wallace
12-14-2010, 12:39 AM
Incentive-based defence. That's cute :)

HiphopRelated
12-14-2010, 12:55 AM
*remembers Phil paying players for charges*

HiphopRelated
12-14-2010, 12:57 AM
and nowhere did they say they would be going iso if they get a stop

Spo wants them to run and he trusts Wade/Bron's decision making on the break. He wants them to run off steals and misses.

justinnum1
12-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Incentive-based defence. That's cute :)

Yea, you know what else is cute? having the best defense in the league.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-14-2010, 01:27 AM
Makes sense.

Do something on defense and you get to control the offense. Though that should be your mentality without being rewarded for it.

believeinNYK
12-14-2010, 01:45 AM
The fact that this system has to be put in place is ridiculous to me. You're NBA players, maybe you should play defense and get rebounds because it's your job, not because it lets you do what you want on offense.

X2 but I guess it's working for them ..for now

davids22
12-14-2010, 01:56 AM
Bron Bron!

Yeah it's working. I honestly feel like they have a shot against LA on Christmas now. And what if Miller returns that game like he says he might? I mean I guess he has NO chemistry with them yet, but if it's his first game back, he'll prob just come off the bench, AKA only be used as a 3 point threat. Which I'm sure will help Jones get a nice breather, he's been doing a lot from 3 for them.

I also say Haslems injury has helped Bosh so much. Bosh really had to step up and is doing a nice job of it. He's been getting double digit rebounds in this winning streak and it's finally looking like he might average his 20/10 that they desperately need out of him.

hgtiger32
12-14-2010, 02:16 AM
so will oppossing teams figure this out and know who has the green light and stuff? just a thought...

Fnom11
12-14-2010, 02:38 AM
Because knowing Lebron or Wade is going to be the one to shot is easy to stop

thekmp211
12-14-2010, 02:41 AM
makes sense with those two guys running the show. on basically every other team in the league, it would produce utter chaos.

interesting tone coming from lebron and wade, echoing bosh's thoughts on the players relationship with the coach. these guys seem to want independence on the court almost like childen, obeying spoelstra only when they concede failures. the relationship seems stable now but what happens when a disagreement arises?

i think coach needs to be careful not to let this team get too relaxed, especially in the event of injury.

THE MTL
12-14-2010, 02:47 AM
Its ******** and cannot work for that long and DEFINITELY WONT work in the playoffs.

James & Wade dont work out when u used them seperately. Ok, its Wade's turn and then okay its Lebron's turn. Its dumb and will not work out in the Heat's ultimate goal.

They really need to get Riley back there. Someone who demands respect and will have this team running proper offensive sets instead of this playground basketball will massive kickouts to shooters.

beasted86
12-14-2010, 03:03 AM

Bosh got a max deal?

When?

Byronicle
12-14-2010, 03:33 AM
ok...people are just ignoring the facts

2/8 wins came from GOOD TEAMS

6/8 from CRAP

of course it seems like they are on a roll, and this isn't hate, this is just the truth. People are thinking Spo is some sort of genious and that this is working? Sure its working against the crappy teams, but is it going to work against the great teams?

RulerSlick
12-14-2010, 04:38 AM
*remembers Phil paying players for charges*

Yes sir:D

Lakers take charge

ROAD TO REPEAT

ESPNLosAngeles.com chronicled the Lakers during the NBA playoffs with photos and game coverage. The gallery

The Zen Master has taken on a not-so Zen-like approach to motivate his players to sacrifice their bodies on defense and draw charges: pay them.

We actually even put out a reward for drawing charges so there's rewards involved in it," Jackson said, with the money coming from a "minor fine pool" that filled up throughout the year that the Lakers use to "reimburse these guys for various things they do."

According to Elias Sports Bureau, in the first round of the playoffs, Oklahoma City drew 12 offensive fouls on Los Angeles, while the Lakers collected just 10 on the Thunder. L.A. improved in the second round, drawing 10 to Utah's nine. Through four games against Phoenix, the Lakers have fared much better, drawing eight charges compared to just two for the Suns.

Derek Fisher drew an offensive foul on Leandro Barbosa on Tuesday, racking up his 12th offensive foul taken in the 14 games the Lakers have played in the playoffs. The next-closest Lakers player is Pau Gasol, who has drawn just four.

"We've asked them to [do it]," Jackson said. "I think we have thin-chested big men is what we have. Not so much meat up in the chest so they shy away from it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5221047

Aren't they already getting payed to play the game which includes taking charges?:D

DaVille
12-14-2010, 04:47 AM
I love how people calling it ****** and amateurish. Get over yourself people

Its working now. And when it runs its course, they'll make adjustments to the system. As long as the Divas are happy & winning, there is nothing to complain about.

THE MTL
12-14-2010, 04:58 AM
I love how people calling it ****** and amateurish. Get over yourself people

Its working now. And when it runs its course, they'll make adjustments to the system. As long as the Divas are happy & winning, there is nothing to complain about.

Im really shocked to hear this from a Celtics fan. You have the original Big Time of this era and you have experienced how Doc Rivers runs true offensive sets and plays that WORK!

This right here, what Miami is doing is ********! Lebron or Wade penetrates and they kick out. Thats it! Only reason they are winning is because of the sheer fact that u have Wade and Lebron. (not too mention Lebron & Wade could probably singehandedly beat a few of the team a part of that winning streak)

CowboysKB24
12-14-2010, 08:07 AM
Well we knew that they were going to be better than their start... 5-5? It is an odd system, but as we expected it isn't going to be hard to coach this team. They have three elite players.

To be honest, the regular season doesn't matter. As we saw last year. It doesn't matter if the Heat lose every game to the Celtics during the season or any other combination you can think of. It all changes when the playoffs come. That is what I am waiting for. It won't matter if the Lakers/Celtics/Heat finish 1,2,3,4,5 seeds. Whole different story when the real season starts.

CowboysKB24
12-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Its ******** and cannot work for that long and DEFINITELY WONT work in the playoffs.

James & Wade dont work out when u used them seperately. Ok, its Wade's turn and then okay its Lebron's turn. Its dumb and will not work out in the Heat's ultimate goal.

They really need to get Riley back there. Someone who demands respect and will have this team running proper offensive sets instead of this playground basketball will massive kickouts to shooters.

I understand what you're trying to say, but it is working right now. You can't hate. They are on a 9 game win streak. It all will change when the playoffs start, for better or worse. Riley is playing it smart. Let Spol get them going and if Riley wants it he can have it. He really might just not want to coach anymore. Maybe he doesn't want to deal with that type of pressure anymore, I don't know.

CowboysKB24
12-14-2010, 08:14 AM
Im really shocked to hear this from a Celtics fan. You have the original Big Time of this era and you have experienced how Doc Rivers runs true offensive sets and plays that WORK!

This right here, what Miami is doing is ********! Lebron or Wade penetrates and they kick out. Thats it! Only reason they are winning is because of the sheer fact that u have Wade and Lebron. (not too mention Lebron & Wade could probably singehandedly beat a few of the team a part of that winning streak)

Did you ever think that they are just too good and it doesn't matter what they do? I think that is what they can do to 85 percent of the teams out there. When they run into the Lakers, Celtics, Magic, Spurs, Mavs, it will be different. Some teams just don't have the defense to handle LBJ and Wade and Bosh. It is hard.

CHANGO
12-14-2010, 08:16 AM
You know what I think ... It seems stupid that no offensive plays, but I think Spoelstra just like all coaches do, pull the curtain of smoke ... I'm sure he told them that, but that's not his system, must be well prepared defensive play and offensive too (I hope).

Sly Guy
12-14-2010, 10:00 AM
it will stop working when say, the celtics see that wade rebounded the ball, and then focus their defense on him for the following possession.

Bornknick73
12-14-2010, 11:40 AM
While it is unorthodox i think its a good move to start to try to figure it out. By the time it runs its course they will know what to do and how to play together.

It all starts with defense anyway, if they can get turnovers and get on the break its a wrap. So as long as they got that going they'll be good. Im actually excited to play them this week, so in the event we pull a miracle and beat them I wont hear the " they're still learning to play with each other" excuse.

Bornknick73
12-14-2010, 11:42 AM
And to be fair, even if you knew Wade or LBJ was gonna shoot it it still tough as hell to stop them.

krest213
12-14-2010, 12:01 PM
ay
my late Grandfather Duke(R.I.P) use to tell me
if it ain't broke don't try to fix it

daleja424
12-14-2010, 12:18 PM
I think you guys are confused as to what is actually happening.

It goes like this... if we get a stop on defense and get the ball, Lebron or Wade push the ball hard and score easily in transition. If the team allows a score then the team cannot get out in transition and so they come down and run offense.

You are all taking this way to literally. It is exactly the same thing that a lot of teams do: Push tempo off of stops. It just happens that Wade and Lebron excel in the transition game so for them there is that extra reward to get a stop...if they know it will end up with free reign on the break.

mikealike305
12-14-2010, 12:20 PM
i love the idea...
1. it makes them WANT to grab a rebound knowing that they'll be free
2. they are having more fun being free and therefore playing better
3. it shows that spo is giving in a little but the big 3 needs to give 1st
i love it, might be a elementery, basic system but no one can argure that it doesnt work

MiamiWadeCounty
12-14-2010, 01:05 PM

he didnt get a max deal. he took less money (14.1mill i think) to come to Miami

Tony_Starks
12-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Bron Bron!

Yeah it's working. I honestly feel like they have a shot against LA on Christmas now. And what if Miller returns that game like he says he might? I mean I guess he has NO chemistry with them yet, but if it's his first game back, he'll prob just come off the bench, AKA only be used as a 3 point threat. Which I'm sure will help Jones get a nice breather, he's been doing a lot from 3 for them.

I also say Haslems injury has helped Bosh so much. Bosh really had to step up and is doing a nice job of it. He's been getting double digit rebounds in this winning streak and it's finally looking like he might average his 20/10 that they desperately need out of him.

Anybody has a shot at LA during the regular season. Lakers are famous for goofing off during the season and turning it on come playoff time.....

Jonathan2323
12-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Anybody has a shot at LA during the regular season. Lakers are famous for goofing off during the season and turning it on come playoff time.....

They will try their hardest to win this game though, thats for sure.

HeatBBall
12-14-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm just still shocked at all the hate while we have a better win streak than the majority of teams out there. Its like wow! Oh well, for Miami to be hated on like this they must be doing something that others wish!!! hahahaha gotta love hate!!!

Geargo Wallace
12-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Yea, you know what else is cute? having the best defense in the league.

Well I wasn't talking **** so moss dude.

kntresistheheat
12-14-2010, 03:08 PM
I think you guys are confused as to what is actually happening.

It goes like this... if we get a stop on defense and get the ball, Lebron or Wade push the ball hard and score easily in transition. If the team allows a score then the team cannot get out in transition and so they come down and run offense.

You are all taking this way to literally. It is exactly the same thing that a lot of teams do: Push tempo off of stops. It just happens that Wade and Lebron excel in the transition game so for them there is that extra reward to get a stop...if they know it will end up with free reign on the break.

I think the article explain it the right way, You are just putting in your opinion.

wtbaseball
12-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Im a Rockets fan and to all the Miami fans..
If they aint hatin, you aint doin nothin right!!!

Keep doin what your doin

John Walls Era
12-14-2010, 03:16 PM
I bet all the coach told them to do was: if you get a stop, get the ball and run.....

HeatBBall
12-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Im a Rockets fan and to all the Miami fans..
If they aint hatin, you aint doin nothin right!!!

Keep doin what your doin

Exactly!

BALLER71
12-14-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't know where people got the idea that if Wade gets a rebound, he shoots on the other end or if Lebron gets a stop, he takes the shot.
That's not how it works.

The "Pre-School" idea is working. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

killbumdeluxe13
12-14-2010, 03:43 PM
heres a good reward system. do what your supposed to do on court, earn your paycheck, win a championship, and everyone will hate on Miami less. Treating Wade and James like babies and saying if you do this then u get this is ridiculous. How about you just dominate anyways regardless of whether or not you got a defensive stop and learn to work together.

wtbaseball
12-14-2010, 04:52 PM
heres a good reward system. do what your supposed to do on court, earn your paycheck, win a championship, and everyone will hate on Miami less. Treating Wade and James like babies and saying if you do this then u get this is ridiculous. How about you just dominate anyways regardless of whether or not you got a defensive stop and learn to work together.

Well if thats gettin treated like a baby, isnt every athleted treated like a baby? If you play better, we will give you more money! Stop freaking hating alllllll the time. If you dont have something worth posting JUST DONT! The question said WILL IT LAST? Not is this childish or should they do it.:rolleyes:

DWills
12-14-2010, 07:50 PM
so will oppossing teams figure this out and know who has the green light and stuff? just a thought...

lmao......gl stoppin them

killbumdeluxe13
12-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Well if thats gettin treated like a baby, isnt every athleted treated like a baby? If you play better, we will give you more money! Stop freaking hating alllllll the time. If you dont have something worth posting JUST DONT! The question said WILL IT LAST? Not is this childish or should they do it.:rolleyes:

like i said ill stop hatin if they actually win. until then im gonna hate all i want. Why? Cuz i dont like the heat and its mad fun to talk sh**t about them.

Daze9900
12-14-2010, 08:04 PM

the rest of the 6 were against bad teams that are all under 0.500...

will this reward system work against the likes of Boston, Mavericks, Spurs, Lakers, Orlando, Chicago, and dare I saw New York?

people are easy on them now, but not so long ago when they were losing to good teams people were up and arms, and people are forgetting that they only beaten crap teams big time. once they start messing with the big boys I guarantee the hate and blaming will be back

Winning is winning.