PDA

View Full Version : Could be time to stop sleeping on the Spurs

DenButsu
12-13-2010, 06:19 AM
-#1 in offensive efficiency (110.3), which is a very strong +6.4 over the league average (103.9).
-Tied for first in highest scoring differential (+9.7) with the Cs and Heat, and are 3rd in off/def efficiency differential (10.6) after the Heat (11.8) and Cs (10.9).
-3rd in eFG% (52.5) after the Cs (54.3) and Suns (53.0). Also, 4th in free throw ratio differential (+6.64).
-3rd. in turnover rate (-1.96) after the Blazers (-3.15) and Bucks (-2.52)
-First team this season to 20 wins. (Albeit with an easier than average strength of schedule).

Manu's playing at an elite level, TP & RJ both seem to be playing better than last season, too, TD maybe slowing down a step but not enough to have too big a negative impact (and really, he's still playing great), they're getting some great, consistent bench play from George Hill...

As much as it pains me to say it, me having no love for the Spurs, I think they can hang with any team in the league right now, including Bos, LA, and Mia. Have to see how they hold up healthwise over the remainder of the regular season, but if they're still playing like this when the playoffs approach, they sure as hell look like legit contenders to me.

tangent12
12-13-2010, 06:34 AM
I'd rather sleep on them.

They'll be needing wheelchairs once the playoffs roll around, the ancient Spurs will not meet expectations... again.

JermMyG
12-13-2010, 06:34 AM
I think the mavericks can take them this year.

JayW_1023
12-13-2010, 06:49 AM

They'll be needing wheelchairs once the playoffs roll around, the ancient Spurs will not meet expectations... again.

Yawn. You do know the Mavs and The Lakers are older right? This dead beaten horse corpse is more rotten than the same unfunny Mike James-jokes over and over again.

The fact that Pop is saving duncan now more than ever this year makes that 20-3 start all the more scary. No one wants to face a healthy Spurs team with a healthy and fresh Duncan.

Our bench has been a big revelation. We have Dice playing the best defense of his life, we have BONNER! obliterating opponents defensive gameplans with his spot up shooting and George Hill has been marvelous. This kid is so versatile offensively...and his ability to guard both backcourt positions has been huge.

Rookie Gary Neal meanwhile is no ordinary rookie after seasoning his game overseas. He looks like a pro and is making veteran plays out there.

tangent12
12-13-2010, 07:11 AM
The Spurs show their age and outdated style of play come playoff time.

I will stand by my statements until they prove otherwise.

JayW_1023
12-13-2010, 07:13 AM
That 'outdated style of play' is currently the most efficient style in the NBA. 'U Mad'?

tangent12
12-13-2010, 07:18 AM
That outdated style of play has failed your team more than once and got you embarrassed last year once again against your pimp daddy, the Mavericks.

It's an old team with a boring style of play that gets crushed in playoff basketball. Just facts buddy, don't get mad.

JayW_1023
12-13-2010, 07:25 AM
That outdated style of play has failed your team more than once and got you embarrassed last year once again against your pimp daddy, the Mavericks.

It's an old team with a boring style of play that gets crushed in playoff basketball. Just facts buddy, don't get mad.

What facts? For what I recall, we beat the Mavs in the playoffs last year, despite being banged up really bad. Either way, this team is much better than last years, and more importantly, much healthier...the young players are much more familiar with the system...and RJ is playing like RJ again.

tangent12
12-13-2010, 07:35 AM
What facts? For what I recall, we beat the Mavs in the playoffs last year, despite being banged up really bad. Either way, this team is much better than last years, and more importantly, much healthier...the young players are much more familiar with the system...and RJ is playing like RJ again.

You can sell me on the Spurs all you want but like I said, I won't be convinced until they prove otherwise.

I'm just basing my opinion on what I've seen, not "ifs". They've looked old and tired when competition level is turned up against them during the playoffs and they're not getting any younger.

ewing
12-13-2010, 07:51 AM
everyone, except Tangent, knows the Spurs are good. Its just they have few fans nationally so they get talked about less. No one is sleeping on the Spurs

jezzyman05
12-13-2010, 08:04 AM
You can sell me on the Spurs all you want but like I said, I won't be convinced until they prove otherwise.

I'm just basing my opinion on what I've seen, not "ifs". They've looked old and tired when competition level is turned up against them during the playoffs and they're not getting any younger.

likewise with the mavericks, in fact here is my prediction

rock in the season, maybe get the best record in the league , dirk averages around 25 ppg....then make make the playoff and barely survive 1st round 4-3 and lose second round 2-4 (to the spurs :laugh: )

Regpheezy
12-13-2010, 08:25 AM
Why anyone would be sleeping on the spurs is ridiculous. They have the best 3pt shooting team. A really really fast and driving backcourt, and a solid would be starters on any other team bench. Not to forget Duncan who still plays like a beast because even though he's not flashy gets his job done and has been doing it for years. The young guns like Hill who is instant offense (IUPUI REPRESENTIN) and Dejaun Blair who is an undersized yet underestimated player, and Neal who people dont understand that he is a killer from beyond the arc. Oh yeah forgot to mention Tiago Splitter who is damn good already but will even improve more and more especially being mentored by Timmy D! Hmmm yeah there's no doubt this team should be overlooked

TornadoOfSouls
12-13-2010, 08:28 AM

Yeah, that outdated style of play that's won them four more championships than the Mavericks(or more than half the teams in the league)

Spurs>>>>>Bulls this year. Fact. Put the Bulls in the Western conference and they probably finish as an 8th seed.

Hawkeye15
12-13-2010, 09:01 AM
I don't think anyone is sleeping on them. They don't have a large fan base here on PSD, so we don't see a new thread everytime Manu sneezes. But everyone is aware of them.

Damnit. Wolves should have had them twice now.

LavelC
12-13-2010, 09:13 AM

Spurs eliminated the mavs 4-1 last yr. Have eliminated the mavs more times they have eliminated the spurs. And won 4 championships with their boring style of play. I wouldn't call wining 4 championships getting crushed in the playoffs. Were are u coming from with this post.

Shattered
12-13-2010, 09:15 AM
I actually wrote an article on this. I believe that the Spurs have shown that they are more than a playoff team this season, they are championship contenders. Of course its just the first quarter, but they are showing the discipline that won them 3 championships in the last decade. Duncan and Ginobli are playing like younger versions of themselves and Parker seems like he's not affected by his divorce with Eva!:mad: But they are playing great team basketball not flashy but efficient.:)

Hawkeye15
12-13-2010, 09:21 AM

what are you talking about?

kdspurman
12-13-2010, 09:21 AM

What youve seen is Spurs win multiple championships the past decade. No one else can say that except laker fans. Old and tired when competition steps up? are you crazy? They're beating teams by +10 points to this point, and 9-2 vs +500 teams. You dont need to be convinced on anything. Do we need to hope for no injuries? uh yea.. but so does Every Other team who is trying to win a title. Not just us. Keep sleepin and hating.. just means we put that fear in u and whatever team u like.

JordansBulls
12-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Yep, it would be nice for the Spurs to make the finals one more time for old time sake to see if they down in the finals.

Venomous88
12-13-2010, 09:45 AM
The v necks brought back the youth in them. I would love to see a Spurs - Heat finals

Shattered
12-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Yep, it would be nice for the Spurs to make the finals one more time for old time sake to see if they down in the finals.

I agree, it would be nice to see them win one before Duncan and Manu retire...

Hawkeye15
12-13-2010, 09:48 AM
I agree, it would be nice to see them win one before Duncan and Manu retire...

eh, they have 4. They have enough. But as long as Kobe doesn't win it all, I am fine with anyone else at this point.

MurderousPress
12-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Spurs eliminated the mavs 4-1 last yr. Have eliminated the mavs more times they have eliminated the spurs. And won 4 championships with their boring style of play. I wouldn't call wining 4 championships getting crushed in the playoffs. Were are u coming from with this post.

This.

Reggie Miller
12-13-2010, 09:51 AM
go spurs man. they were my #1 in the west

Meaze_Gibson
12-13-2010, 10:04 AM
I've been sleeping but i'm awake now. I love everything about their offense and tenacity. they're silent killers out there. Boston-Spurs matchup is lookin real nice.

JasonJohnHorn
12-13-2010, 10:06 AM
I stopped sleeping on them before the season started, when I put ten bucks on them at the Flamingo with 21-1 odds.... i cant wait to see them hoist another banner in the AT&T center so i can cash in on my $220!!!! :)

Hangtime
12-13-2010, 10:35 AM
They are healthy and back to championship form. The starters are playing well and they are getting contribution from the bench. And Pops is still the coach. I like them or the Lakers to come out the west.

Ezio
12-13-2010, 11:04 AM
They're the Celtics of the west or the other way around. I never sleep on them. Vet team that knows what they are doing and now their younger players know their role.

Mochalman
12-13-2010, 11:08 AM
until pop and td leave then you should never sleep on the spurs

beasted86
12-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I'll kinda continue sleeping on them as "best in the NBA" or "favorite to come out of the west"... never doubted they are a legit contender though.

I don't think they can maintain that good of 3PT shooting through the whole season. All of their rotation players are shooting over 36% from behind the arc including Parker, Jefferson, and Hill on career highs... and Ginobili on a career high attempts per game.

Raph12
12-13-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm sleeping on everyone but them out West... I truly believe that a healthy Spurs team is the only team in the West that can challenge LA with Bynum.

Yanks All Day
12-13-2010, 12:22 PM
The Spurs show their age and outdated style of play come playoff time.

I will stand by my statements until they prove otherwise.

Does that mean you have been proven otherwise 4 times in the last 12 years? When this team is healthy, it can compete with anyone. The problem is that they have not been healthy recently.

Sixerlover
12-13-2010, 12:31 PM
I always hated the Spurs "boring" term. Watching any two NBA teams play is exciting to someone like me. There's 5 great basketball players on both sides of the ball every play (except when Spencer Hawes is playing), nothing about that is boring.

DerekRE_3
12-13-2010, 12:47 PM
I always hated the Spurs "boring" term. Watching any two NBA teams play is exciting to someone like me. There's 5 great basketball players on both sides of the ball every play (except when Spencer Hawes is playing), nothing about that is boring.

Poor Spencer.

sep11ie
12-13-2010, 12:53 PM
But they are so darn comfy!

Lim
12-13-2010, 01:17 PM
is tim duncan done? or is it just because his minutes are limited?

Hawkeye15
12-13-2010, 01:24 PM
is tim duncan done? or is it just because his minutes are limited?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/duncati01.html

minutes are down, and he is hitting his decline a bit. Manu and TP are playing so well as well, that Duncan isn't needing to carry them at any time. But Pops is going to do whatever he can to keep Duncan's minutes limited, and keep him ready for the playoffs.
But there is no denying, the Tim Duncan of old is gone. The one playing now is still pretty damn good though

DerekRE_3
12-13-2010, 01:41 PM
And he has some depth behind him with Splitter and Blair being very capable players. I would mention Bonner...but all he does is shoot. And of course with George Hill, Tony Parker, Richard Jefferson and Manu playing well he doesn't have to carry such a load anymore.

tdunk21
12-13-2010, 01:56 PM

last i checked, the lakers are the ones looking old and losing to teams like pacers, grizzlies and bulls......

PennyMy#1
12-13-2010, 02:09 PM
People who sleep on the Spurs, haven't done their homework. They were and are, legit contenders.

daleja424
12-13-2010, 02:14 PM
I know they have been insane...and a 20-3 start is crazy good...BUT, I just can;t see them maintaining this kind of play. They were too old to win a title two years ago and too old to win a title last year...why should we expect this year to be different? As long as Manu + Duncan are the center pieces, this team is on th decline IMO.

Sadds The Gr8
12-13-2010, 02:47 PM
i think it just all depends on Duncan. Right now is he just chillin and waiting for the playoffs to dominate? or is he really declining? Because right now he's averaging career lows.

thekmp211
12-13-2010, 02:57 PM
uh...yeah. i believe i said in the offseason that the spurs are the only team i could really conceive beating the lakers out of the west this season. i may add utah to that list but so far, so good.

as for the guy bashing them cause they're old...all that matters is health. that's all that matters. if manu and duncan are healthy come playoff time, they will rise. it has nothing to do with age. manu is maybe having his best season this year.

splitter, blair, hill, neal, jefferson and tp aren't old. in fact, at the moment their team seems to be a nice balance of youth and experience. they are definitely dangerous.

DerekRE_3
12-13-2010, 02:59 PM
I know they have been insane...and a 20-3 start is crazy good...BUT, I just can;t see them maintaining this kind of play. They were too old to win a title two years ago and too old to win a title last year...why should we expect this year to be different? As long as Manu + Duncan are the center pieces, this team is on th decline IMO.

They didn't have George Hill playing the way he is this year. Tony Parker had an off year last year, as did Richard Jefferson. None of those guys are old. Then you add in Tiago Splitter. DeJuan Blair is starting to play better and has averaged 10 an 9 the last 5 games in 24 mpg (while shooting 60%). They will be getting James Anderson back later this season as well. The Spurs have depth, some nice young players, and experience on their side.

mrblisterdundee
12-13-2010, 03:18 PM
I don't know why anyone would ever 'sleep' on the Spurs. As far as I know, they've always been considered a contender when healthy. Health is about the only thing that could make you not believe in a team that has Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. I still fully expect a healthy Duncan to bust out for 23 points and 13 rebounds a game during the playoffs.

Giraffes Rule
12-13-2010, 03:20 PM
They didn't have George Hill playing the way he is this year. Tony Parker had an off year last year, as did Richard Jefferson. None of those guys are old. Then you add in Tiago Splitter. DeJuan Blair is starting to play better and has averaged 10 an 9 the last 5 games in 24 mpg (while shooting 60%). They will be getting James Anderson back later this season as well. The Spurs have depth, some nice young players, and experience on their side.

And Gary Neal as well. Fantastic 3-point shooter that can also drive and throw up a great floater if the defender bites on a fake.

Usually when people talk about the Spurs this season they say "Yeah they can compete, if they stay healthy." I don't understand this, because you could say the same of any team. If Kobe or Gasol goes down, are they still the favorites? If any of the C's big 3 (or 4 really) go down, are they still favorites? Every team has to stay healthy to win in the playoffs.

Joshtd1
12-13-2010, 03:22 PM

A Parker who was hurt allyear, and a Manu with a broken nose in the playoffs dinthelp against Phx. Then in 08 in the WCF there were a couple games Spurs could have won that would have changed the whole series around..and Manu was still playing on a bum ankle.

Injuries caught up. By the way we only have 3 guys over 30 on the team, so I dont see how were still cosidered old.

Chronz
12-13-2010, 04:35 PM

Didnt you just lie about the Spurs losing to the Mavs in your facts?

king4day
12-13-2010, 04:39 PM
How does Splitter look this year?

DerekRE_3
12-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Either that or he's ignorant of it.

210Don
12-13-2010, 04:46 PM

hasnt played much but when he does play he looks good

Joshtd1
12-13-2010, 07:17 PM

At times he's shown flashes of being a very good players, at other times he looks kind of lost. Pop isn't playing him a whole lot so far, just trying to get going along slowly.

He is great on the pick and roll, and great at pick and roll defense. Gets into position to take charges. Not really a shot blocker. Hasn't shown much in the post yet, but that can be worked on.

I will say though if Pop is expecting to beat a team like the Lakers with their size by playing Bonner/Dice/Blair a whole lot, he probably has another thing coming. Splitter will definately need to be ready by then to beat them IMO.

Supreme LA
12-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Spurs are playing great and it's what I have been hoping to see. They are playing with the type of chemistry that we are use to seeing from a team coached by Pop. The only team playing close to as good as they are the C's this far.

It's not gonna be easy getting out of the west for anybody this year.

chrisl17
12-13-2010, 08:23 PM
i love the spurs and ppl are sleeping on em its a fact

LeonFSU
12-13-2010, 09:08 PM

good job on being a douchebag and being wrong in the same post

ElMarroAfamado
12-13-2010, 09:22 PM

haha
Smart man
....the Spurs can have the best record in the league but it doesnt matter come playofftim i will be surprised if they make it passed the first round and least surprised if they get swept like last season

ElMarroAfamado
12-13-2010, 09:24 PM
And Gary Neal as well. Fantastic 3-point shooter that can also drive and throw up a great floater if the defender bites on a fake.

Usually when people talk about the Spurs this season they say "Yeah they can compete, if they stay healthy." I don't understand this, because you could say the same of any team. If Kobe or Gasol goes down, are they still the favorites? If any of the C's big 3 (or 4 really) go down, are they still favorites? Every team has to stay healthy to win in the playoffs.

Gary Who?
hahahah
oh man
:facepalm:

Giraffes Rule
12-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Gary Who?
hahahah
oh man
:facepalm:

Gary Neal, who has been a productive and valuable member of the Spurs bench so far.

haha
Smart man
....the Spurs can have the best record in the league but it doesnt matter come playofftim i will be surprised if they make it passed the first round and least surprised if they get swept like last season

You could, at the very least, get your facts right. Assuming you're saying what I think you're saying. It's hard to tell, since you can't seem to
A: Spell
B: Form actual sentences

dodie53
12-13-2010, 09:41 PM
the spurs are good..
but old.

Supreme LA
12-13-2010, 11:25 PM

It's has nothing to do with their age. The Spurs got bounced the past two years because they didn't have a bench and the role players didn't play up to the level Pop needed them to. The Spurs will continue to play well this season and remain a factor out west.

The team is on a roll and a mission this year and anybody who underestimates them will be singing the same sad tune when they lose to them in the playoffs. The same was said about the C's being too old and they will continue to play to their identity the same way.

kdspurman
12-14-2010, 09:39 AM
the spurs are good..
but old.

boston is older, miami is older, lakers are older, mavericks are older.. are you saying teams who are "Old" can't win it all? i didnt realize a teams average age of 27 was old. you must be like 6 calling them old