PDA

View Full Version : Mark Teixeira or Adrian Gonzalez?

xabial
12-13-2010, 03:32 AM
I've seen this debated millions of Times. After The Red Sox Lost Mark Teixeira to The Yankees for eight years $180M in the 08' Off-season, they make up for it By Trading Their Top Prospects for Adrian Gonzalez and agreeing to a seven year contract extension in the $150M-$160M Range.

Both Play Excellent Defense, Both Great Offensive Players, Both Play the Same Position.

So Now, i ask you people, Who's the better player? If you had to pick one,
Who would you rather have on your Team?

GoatMilk
12-13-2010, 03:35 AM
i guess im biased
i've been watching Adrian for years. i absolutely love him

xabial
12-13-2010, 03:44 AM
Im also Biased. I picked Mark. I've seen him play and i love him too.

Silent
12-13-2010, 03:57 AM
gONZALEZ

djeller1139
12-13-2010, 03:57 AM
I like Adrian Gonzalez better, but I hate all Yankees. I do think A-Gon is the better player (not by much though).

GoatMilk
12-13-2010, 04:04 AM
the past 3 years, they are crazy similar, although i havent looked at the advanced metrics. i'll let someone else do it

tex has 1784 AB's
Adrian has 1759 AB's

tex: .285/.386/.533/.919
adrian: .285/.387/.523/.910

tex: 105 HR, 120 doubles, 271 walks
adrian: 107 HR, 92 double, 286 walks

against lefties, even though Tex is a switch hitter, Adrian has more HR vs lefties as well. 30-26

Adrian has a ton more IBB's and has been doing it in a huge park with really no help. not the caliber tex has had in NY, Anaheim, Atlanta

both great gloves.
i still say Adrian

VRP723
12-13-2010, 04:05 AM
I'll take A-Gon, who played in PETCO, and basically had a AAA lineup around him.

More-Than-Most
12-13-2010, 04:14 AM
Give me tex... He can switch it right? Lol

daisuke4cy
12-13-2010, 04:24 AM
If you could put tex on te red sox he would be the 3rd best 1b on the team.

DodgersFan28
12-13-2010, 04:40 AM
I pick the one who was traded off the Texas Rangers.

Rangers traded Adrian Gonzalez and Chris Young, along with Terrmal Sledge to the Padres for Akinori Otsuka and Adam Eaton in 2005.

The trade was made because Adrian was handcuffed behind Mark Texiera at the time.

Texiera was later traded to the Atlanta Braves.

Nice going Rangers.

The_Jamal
12-13-2010, 04:50 AM
If you could put tex on te red sox he would be the 3rd best 1b on the team.

lol wut?

Swishalicious
12-13-2010, 05:00 AM
Adrian Gonzalez

Jeffy25
12-13-2010, 05:13 AM
There is already a thread about this in comparisons.

And Adrian, easily, and I have no bias toward either player....Adrian is simply the better player, not by a lot, but he is.

More-Than-Most
12-13-2010, 05:26 AM
I am curious about people picking agon. Everyone keeps saying it is extremely close but agon gets the edge... If its that close wouldn't the fact that tex can bat from both sides of the plate make him the better choice?

Jeffy25
12-13-2010, 05:34 AM
I am curious about people picking agon. Everyone keeps saying it is extremely close but agon gets the edge... If its that close wouldn't the fact that tex can bat from both sides of the plate make him the better choice?

not when A-Gone bats the same against lefties (the weakness for not being a switch hitter) as Tex does.

Adrian gets the edge because of his 1. age, 2. his overall play when you adjust to for park metrics, and 3. his defense is a slight edge.

Overall, their counting stats and slash line batting numbers are basically the same, when you adjust for park, Adrian has the slight edge....it isn't by a lot though.

The switch hitter argument is defeated when the guy that only bats from one side is just as effective as the guy from both sides. If he can hit lefties batting from the left side as well as a guy turning around and swinging the bat as a rightie can...it sort of defeats the value.

It's sort of like in St. Louis right now, everyone is talking about how the Cardinals are going to be able to hit lefties better this year because Berkman is a switch hitter..... well let me answer that.....those people (cards fans) don't know what the **** they are talking about...Berkman hasn't been able to hit from the right side for three years effectively. He has hit like complete and absolute ****, he should consider turning himself into a left handed hitter only and face lefties and righties as a lefty himself.

It's only a value to be a switch hitter if it actually improves your hitting...it probably does improve Tex's hitting (actually I am positive it does) but as long as Adrian is mashing lefties batting as a lefty, then the edge won't be drawn there.

Also, for what it's worth, I was simply comparing each playing throughout their careers....in 2010, Adrian actually hit lefties better than he hit righties...he was other worldly against them...while Tex hit worse than he has in several years against lefties.

More-Than-Most
12-13-2010, 05:49 AM
not when A-Gone bats the same against lefties (the weakness for not being a switch hitter) as Tex does.

Adrian gets the edge because of his 1. age, 2. his overall play when you adjust to for park metrics, and 3. his defense is a slight edge.

Overall, their counting stats and slash line batting numbers are basically the same, when you adjust for park, Adrian has the slight edge....it isn't by a lot though.

The switch hitter argument is defeated when the guy that only bats from one side is just as effective as the guy from both sides. If he can hit lefties batting from the left side as well as a guy turning around and swinging the bat as a rightie can...it sort of defeats the value.

It's sort of like in St. Louis right now, everyone is talking about how the Cardinals are going to be able to hit lefties better this year because Berkman is a switch hitter..... well let me answer that.....those people (cards fans) don't know what the **** they are talking about...Berkman hasn't been able to hit from the right side for three years effectively. He has hit like complete and absolute ****, he should consider turning himself into a left handed hitter only and face lefties and righties as a lefty himself.

It's only a value to be a switch hitter if it actually improves your hitting...it probably does improve Tex's hitting (actually I am positive it does) but as long as Adrian is mashing lefties batting as a lefty, then the edge won't be drawn there.

Also, for what it's worth, I was simply comparing each playing throughout their careers....in 2010, Adrian actually hit lefties better than he hit righties...he was other worldly against them...while Tex hit worse than he has in several years against lefties.

thanks Jeffy

Jeffy25
12-13-2010, 05:51 AM
:)

bagwell368
12-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Im also Biased. I picked Mark. I've seen him play and i love him too.

This thread isn't about "like", it's about what has been done - and what is going to be done.

Gonzalez has topped Teixeira easily (WAR, OPS+, wOBA) over the past two years. Youkilis has also topped Teixera.

Teixera is hardly bad, but he's ~5th best and Gonzalez and Youk fit in between 2-4.

todu82
12-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Extremely close but Texiera

bagwell368
12-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Extremely close but Texiera

Now I know I'm right....

Pinstripe pride
12-13-2010, 02:45 PM
i love me some mark teixera, but gonzalez is better

Madtown22
03-04-2011, 12:32 AM
A. Gon

yankeefan54
03-04-2011, 09:10 PM
I still think there pretty equal with agon a bit better going off of last year. Agon has monster expectations and is coming off shoulder surgery. my prediction Mark teixeria will have a better year.

Celtic AL
03-05-2011, 03:23 AM
Agon

Celtic AL
03-05-2011, 03:24 AM
I still think there pretty equal with agon a bit better going off of last year. Agon has monster expectations and is coming off shoulder surgery. my prediction Mark teixeria will have a better year.

i dont see it

sportzkid1503
03-06-2011, 11:44 AM
i dont see it

thats him praying it happens :D

yankeefan54
03-06-2011, 01:40 PM
thats him praying it happens :D

idk why its so unlikely agon is great but i just dont see why he is guaranteed to have a great year. while he prob will have a good year teix has had one down year where he basically still hit 250 33 and 100.

sportzkid1503
03-06-2011, 11:15 PM
idk why its so unlikely agon is great but i just dont see why he is guaranteed to have a great year. while he prob will have a good year teix has had one down year where he basically still hit 250 33 and 100.

im not saying he wont have a good year. its the fact that gonzalez does what teixeira does every year but at petco park. he might hit over 50 home runs at fenway...

bagwell368
03-07-2011, 12:19 AM
im not saying he wont have a good year. its the fact that gonzalez does what teixeira does every year but at petco park. he might hit over 50 home runs at fenway...

Maybe, but the 2B's are going up the most followed by his BA and OBP in Fenway with his swing and that line-up. He could hit 36 HR and 54 2B or 48 and 52.

Going to be fun to see...

yankeefan54
03-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Maybe, but the 2B's are going up the most followed by his BA and OBP in Fenway with his swing and that line-up. He could hit 36 HR and 54 2B or 48 and 52.

Going to be fun to see...

yea and unfortunatly for this argument there moving right field in by 10 ft.

Celtic AL
03-07-2011, 09:19 PM
hmm