PDA

View Full Version : Ty Cobb,Rogers Hornsby,Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Babe Ruth, Barry Bonds, Stan Musiel

JordansBulls
12-11-2010, 10:26 PM
How would you rank those players from best to worst?

NOTE: I'm not sure if anyone else belongs in that group, but if so, add them in the discussion as well.

homie564
12-11-2010, 10:42 PM
forgetting Hank Aaron at least... lol a few others belong in this conversation too.

Jeffy25
12-11-2010, 11:45 PM
How would you rank those players from best to worst?

NOTE: I'm not sure if anyone else belongs in that group, but if so, add them in the discussion as well.

Ruth
Bonds
Cobb
Mays
Hank Aaron
Honus Wagner
Tris Speaker
Rogers Hornsby
Stan MusiAl (no E)
Ted Williams

Reason Williams is lower is because of how much time he missed.

In terms of peak value...

Ruth
Williams
Bonds
Cobb
Hornsby

todu82
12-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Mays
Ruth
Cobb
Bonds
Williams
Musial
Hornsby

bagwell368
12-12-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't think that you can compare pre 1920 and post 1920 players very well, or at all.

Also according to Bill James, every decade on average the game gets about 10% harder.

I don't give Bonds anything after the juice, if you give him a decline similar to Musial, on paper Musial is better. But he came later.

In real life:

Bonds

Ted, Musial, Mays

Ruth, Cobb

Hornsby

F*(&"Next Year"
12-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Could argue why each is the best and each is the worst out of that group. I think Ruth will always have had the biggest impact on the game as we know it.

CAIN=FUTURE
12-13-2010, 01:57 AM
Ruth
Mays
Bonds
Cobb
Williams
Musial
Hornsby

crowdawg239
12-13-2010, 10:25 PM
Ruth will always be number IMO because of how much he changed the game, and his power numbers plus average in comparison to many in his era. However, you could always argue for anyone to be the best of that group. I would gladly start any franchise with any of those players

bagwell368
12-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Reason Williams is lower is because of how much time he missed.

How much time he missed?

I believe you're a fan of Bill James. Bill James gives credit for Negro League guys and for guys at war. Did you know Ted Williams is one of the very few people who wasn't in the military as a career that served in both WWII (probably the single most important even of the last 2k years), and the Korean War?

Even with all that he is 97th all time at 9791 PA's, and ahead of Hornsby in 110th place all time PA.

Well since the list is morphing, I'll give my own:

(peak + career) (- era weakness) (- juice) (- evil personality)

Mays
Aaron
Musial
Williams
Bonds
Mantle
Ruth
Schmidt
Ricky
FRob
Morgan
Gehrig
Wagner
Pujols
Mathews
AROD
Foxx
Speaker

off the top of my head....

The SF Giant
01-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Evil personality? Are you kidding me?

First of all, you don't know any of these people so you don't know what they're like personally.

Second of all, personality has nothing to do with how great of a baseball player you are.

bagwell368
01-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Evil personality? Are you kidding me?

First of all, you don't know any of these people so you don't know what they're like personally.

Second of all, personality has nothing to do with how great of a baseball player you are.

However arrest logs, times before a grand jury, teammates who snipe and tell.... and other reasons give a clear indication of what sort of teammate we are talking about.

As long as baseball is played by 9 vs 9, the effect of a personality is very real, like it or not. Ted Williams was far from a peach himself. Only Musial of the top group of LF'ers was any sort of ideal personality.