PDA

View Full Version : Should the NBA let high school players be eligible for the draft again?

LTBaByyy
12-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Simple question for a good discussion

Thoughts?

homestarunner93
12-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Yes, it's stupid to waste the time and resources of colleges when the players have no intent to get a degree or, in some cases, even go to class.

tangent12
12-11-2010, 09:54 PM
No.

Kyben36
12-11-2010, 10:05 PM
I dont think so. I actualy like the College, it makes players play up against the best of the best.

Corey
12-11-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm pretty split on it.

I think everyone should go to college, but I don't like how kids go to college without intent to get a degree.

It's an imperfect system.

Bluerapoileagle
12-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Might as well, they only go there for one year anyways. I mean, if you're gonna make them go to college, you have to at least make them get a degree or something.

Kashmir13579
12-11-2010, 10:20 PM
i think they should... Jennings proved that its easy to bypass that rule.

godolphins
12-11-2010, 10:21 PM
No, they should stay in college for at least two years.

LTBaByyy
12-11-2010, 10:24 PM
I dont think so. I actualy like the College, it makes players play up against the best of the best.

Wouldn't the NBA be the best of the best?

Sixerlover
12-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Being a current college student, I see absolutely no reason to force someone to spend a year in college. I always saw it as a handshake deal between Stern and the NCAA to generate more college basketball buzz outside of March Madness.

Chacarron
12-11-2010, 10:31 PM
being a current college student, i see absolutely no reason to force someone to spend a year in college. I always saw it as a handshake deal between stern and the ncaa to generate more college basketball buzz outside of march madness.

+1

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm pretty split on it.

I think everyone should go to college, but I don't like how kids go to college without intent to get a degree.

exactly. I will add, I am for no age restriction. Simply because the level of play in college basketball is a joke now compared to when I grew up. If you make a kid play 1 year, we simply get 1 year rental basketball with the great recruits. Just let them go to the NBA, or offer the following: Skip college for the NBA, or be forced to play at least 2 years in college.

sportscrazy34
12-11-2010, 10:33 PM
I agree with the two year ideal like the nfl.

JWO35
12-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Yes, allowing HS players to re-enter the Draft could make the talent gap a lot smaller in the NBA...

xabial
12-11-2010, 10:48 PM
They should all get their college degrees in the nba like shaq :D

pistonsfanomg
12-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Definitely

pistonsfanomg
12-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Half of the superstars came straight from high school

Kobe = The guy can speak like 6 languages
Lebron James
Kevin Garnett
Tracy McGrady
Rashard Lewis
Jermaine Oneal
Josh Smith
Amare Stoudemire
Monta Ellis
Dwight Howard
Kendrick Perkins
Al Jefferson
Andrew Bynum

I'm going to be completely honest

Ill rather feel confident with a #1 Consensus Pick from High School then a College Player.

PhillyFaninLA
12-11-2010, 10:56 PM
high school players no way....high school graduates 18 years old or older yes.

pistonsfanomg
12-11-2010, 10:58 PM
high school players no way....high school graduates 18 years old or older yes.

haha I didn't even felt the need to read the title properly

ccugrad1
12-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Yes, it's stupid to waste the time and resources of colleges when the players have no intent to get a degree or, in some cases, even go to class.

Sums up my argument well! Let's face facts, the moment John Wall set foot on Kentucky's campus, everyone knew he was there only for one year, just like Marbury, Oden, etc. It is a waste of time and a scholarship for someone you know is only staying one year!

Meaze_Gibson
12-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Well since that rule has been implemented, I think the amount of talent in the NBA has increased. Would Westbrook, Durant, or D-Rose be the same had they skipped out on the college pressure? Tyreke, Beasley, Mayo, etc. I think a year in college enables to see those who can handle pressure and diff attitudes better than going straight from high school. Was against it at first, but it was a good call.

MrfadeawayJB
12-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Just let them go pro if they want to..there would only be like 2 or 3 players each year that really beleive it is worth their while to enter the draft...the rest will go to college...also it may cut down on some of the dirt in college basketball as far as recruiting violations and paying recruits go

jkcronyn
12-12-2010, 12:00 AM
my dream is this... 2 year minimum in college, with a gpa requirement, or 1 year overseas

sargon21
12-12-2010, 01:33 AM
just like any other job, you turn 18, you want to put in an application, go for it, the NBA should let the GMs decide these kid's futures at a young age, not implement some communist rule

abe_froman
12-12-2010, 01:40 AM
why?

let college coaches teach the kids the game,no need for my team to waste that time on it.i like it because players produce more quality in their rookie contract compared to the old system when the drafting team basically missed out on the glory,as the entire length of the rookie deal was used for teaching him things that would have been taught by coach k

i use tmac as an example.tor drafted him and spent all the time and resources into developing him,only for when it came time for him to start producing from that training it was his f.a. year.so they did all the heavy lifting while barely got to reap any of the benefits.going to a good school the player will have some of that training done by the time they get drafted and the drafting team might have a shot of seeing something good

homestarunner93
12-12-2010, 02:09 AM
Also, to elaborate on what I said earlier, I think the NBA should adopt a system like MLB. Either you come out after HS, or you stay until after your junior year.

Supreme LA
12-12-2010, 03:14 AM
While I don't like the fact that these kids are forced into college when they have no intent on getting a degree, I will say the experience alone is something everyone should experience in their lives. I also see attending college a maturing experience for these kids and something they can use to prepare them for their adult lives.

I like the rule also for the fact that we have then come into the league more developed as players as well. Then again, everyone should have the right to make their own decisions in life. If you can join the army and put your life on the line for our country than you may as well be able to play basketball.

Crackadalic
12-12-2010, 06:12 AM
We do it in other sports hell rubio played PRO ball at 14 so why cant the high school kids in the states make the jump for the pros if their ready

The way the NCAA treats the college players is a joke. Its like slavery where you work hard but dont get paid for it its dumb. And the whole penalty for getting money from other people and being penalized for it is the biggest scam i have ever seen

Kyben36
12-12-2010, 06:59 AM
Wouldn't the NBA be the best of the best?

Yes, but having a high school player vs dominate is diferent then a College player dominating. example, some white kid leads his team to a high school championship, vs a bunch of nobodys. ( example, BJ Mullins ) with that said, looking at high school, they look dominate, but once they go up against he best of the best ( high school player every game ) it is easier to judge their true tallent. with this said, this is the only reason I like them having the play college ball. but if there was another way to take the best high school player in the states and pit them head to head to get an idea of true tallent, then i would be all for it, but as I see it and the nba sees it, college is the easiest way.

NYKalltheway
12-12-2010, 07:29 AM

I'll just use this phrase and give my view on this as a neutral (not a US citizen, don't have to pay for taxes that go to high school or university funding etc.. so I'm 100% neutral I'd say)

As for the Rubio myth... Many Americans don't seem to realize how things work over here.
Rubio was not a PRO at age 14. He featured in some games of the FIRST team at age 14, 15 and 16. He became a PRO at age 18. He wasn't under a PRO contract. A PRO is someone who gets paid to play basketball (and nothing else). Then we have semi-PRO, who are people with part-time jobs as well as part-time basketball contracts with teams(they don't live on basketball) and we have the YOUTH contracts, which are small binding contracts that say that the player(kid) until his 18th birthday, will train with the youth teams according to age or quality if he's better than people his age. If youth players are good enough, they get to sign PRO contracts. (semi-PROs apply only to small clubs)

As for this high school Vs college debate. I don't really get the hype about high school basketball. It's something that is never popular over here. College basketball does not exist, or at least is very amateurish and in the USA is something of a great event from March Madness and on. So I know there's a clash of culture from what I'll say.

But what I think should happen is pretty simple. Each team should have its own basketball academies. Not just in the city, but also in the state, or in neighbouring states. They can still play for their highschools but their priority would lie on being the best in their youth team so that they can advance further and have a chance to make it to the pros, in this case, the respective NBA team. High school basketball unaffected.

College game? Restricted to college students. Whatever their aspirations. It can be the other way in the NBA. The 2nd way though. Those who can't be in the "B" teams can play college ball but stick for the whole 4 years.

Basically. Draft exists, for college players only(and internationals). So anyone who aspires to play in the NBA must either go through the team's academies or get through college. And by college I mean graduate from college, like in the past. Those who fail their youth team programs(after being there for over 2-3 years or whatever) and don't make it to the respective NBA team, becomes a free agent.

As for the youth academies, teams would hire basketball coaches to guide the players from a young age, to teach them the fundamentals of basketball as well as show them ways to improve, teach them various tactics, offensive and defensive plays. Make them understand the game instead of make them fly to the hoop.

What do players learn by playing in high school besides maybe how to handle publicity? About BASKETBALL? Do they learn anything? Let them LEARN the game from actual professional coaches whose aim is to turn those kids into professional players instead of win some state championship at any cost. They can do that as well of course, one doesn't cancel away the other.

The star system in the USA will never allow this to happen of course, I'm just stating my opinion...

DodgerBulls
12-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Only with these conditions...

[x] Actually graduate high school
[x] Be in college for the first 4 years in the NBA to get at least an AA
[x] If they can't an AA, then they get ban from the NBA until they get their AA
[x] Don't let them play in international games so they can attend school

MiamiBoy77
12-12-2010, 11:12 AM
I like what the MLB does. You either go straight from HS to the Pros, or you have to stay in College for a few years.

h2r09
12-12-2010, 02:56 PM
not only should they not be allowed to come out of high school, they should have to stay a minimum of 2 years in college. every year the first round is litterred with guys who just have talent but have no game whatsoever. guys like jrue holliday and demar derozan and many many others shouldnt be in the nba after a mediocre year of college. they should be in college for at least another so they have a game other then being athletic. it is just ridiculous how every year it is just unproven guys being selected so high.

h2r09
12-12-2010, 03:02 PM
just look at the guys in the lottery last year alone who would be much improved right away coming out of college and would have improved the college game as a whole had they stayed for more then just a year.

cousins, favors, xavier henry
they year before that you have james harden, tyreke evans,
in 2008 you have oden, mayo, eric gordon, and anthony randolph.

the league is turning into nothing but 1 dimensional scorers because of all of these guys coming into the nba when they are so raw. it is just stupid for their future interest and the interest of the league.

Sixerlover
12-12-2010, 04:41 PM
not only should they not be allowed to come out of high school, they should have to stay a minimum of 2 years in college. every year the first round is litterred with guys who just have talent but have no game whatsoever. guys like jrue holliday and demar derozan and many many others shouldnt be in the nba after a mediocre year of college. they should be in college for at least another so they have a game other then being athletic. it is just ridiculous how every year it is just unproven guys being selected so high.

Jrue Holiday wasn't a high pick at all, and has probably played better than any player taken after him in that draft, AND a lot of players in front of him bad example. A mediocre year of college or not doesn't matter if a team sees potential and wants to try their luck.

mgeise
12-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Being a current college student, I see absolutely no reason to force someone to spend a year in college. I always saw it as a handshake deal between Stern and the NCAA to generate more college basketball buzz outside of March Madness.

I completely agree with this.

Players shouldn't have to spend a year in college when they have no intentions of staying more than one year. It's all about the $$$ for the NCAA IMO.

mgeise
12-12-2010, 06:30 PM
I like what the MLB does. You either go straight from HS to the Pros, or you have to stay in College for a few years.

I've definitely thought about this. It may cause players that otherwise would want to "give college a chance" to go straight to the NBA rather than be stuck in college for three years. I would like it better than the current system, though.

NBA teams are the ones at fault for continuing to draft athletic specimens without polished games high in the draft. If teams stayed away from these guys, who seem to have low success rates, it would deter young players from declaring before they are ready for the NBA game.

rickyk13
12-12-2010, 08:15 PM
NO they should just start paying college players what they deserve

Mplsman
12-12-2010, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't change it back. Just leave it the way it is.

Swashcuff
12-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Half of the superstars came straight from high school

Kobe = The guy can speak like 6 languages
Lebron James
Kevin Garnett
Tracy McGrady
Rashard Lewis
Jermaine Oneal
Josh Smith
Amare Stoudemire
Monta Ellis
Dwight Howard
Kendrick Perkins
Al Jefferson
Andrew Bynum

I'm going to be completely honest

Ill rather feel confident with a #1 Consensus Pick from High School then a College Player.

those are the only superstars I see there.

krest213
12-12-2010, 10:15 PM
nah
immaturity would be too high

imagesrdecievin
12-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Let the HS'ers play - it seems as if teams are starting to recognize the value of the D-league. One of those values is minimizing the risk in drafting young.

NYYCowboys
12-12-2010, 10:25 PM
I think they should be allowed to enter the draft out of HS. The rule is stupid to let kids who have no interest in college go to school for one year.

Swashcuff
12-12-2010, 10:30 PM
I think they should be allowed to enter the draft out of HS. The rule is stupid to let kids who have no interest in college go to school for one year.

This

Korman12
12-12-2010, 10:36 PM
No. The NFL model works extremely well. There's no point to one wasted year for a kid who would choose to bypass it all together if given the choice.

I know it's weird to say, but I feel like if pretty much everyone has to pass some qualification to get a job, than NBA players should go through exactly the same that NFL players do.

MLB players don't have to go the college route, but they have to go through the minor leagues before they're allowed to go "pro" as well. The D-League isn't used nearly enough to even qualify on a minute level of baseball's minor leagues.

WSU Tony
12-12-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm all for a free market... I also don't like the "attitude" the NBA players have. Handing millions of dollars to 18 year old kids creates that attitude.

Korman12
12-12-2010, 10:41 PM

Like I said, that's not true. MLB has an extensive minor league system that most players spend years developing in. It's not college, but they don't just leapfrog right to the MLB.

PrettyBoyJ
12-12-2010, 10:44 PM
No not the rule in placed now is good.. some H.S. players are not ready and haven't played in a competitive atmosphere like college basketball

Cubs Win
12-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Like I said, that's not true. MLB has an extensive minor league system that most players spend years developing in. It's not college, but they don't just leapfrog right to the MLB.

He said the Pros though, not MLB. The minors still are professional leagues since the players get paid.

Bigbadmoffo
12-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Of course not i mean don't we have enough problems getting give to get an education and what if they get injured early and where drafted low, what then. Wake up ppl these kids need an education. Some may get lucky and make it but is it worth the risk. Also what does this teach are youth, hey kid just play bball and screw school??? Seriously sports will be the first thing to go in an economy that is falling apart.

MacFitz92
12-13-2010, 12:33 AM
If it was my son, I'd make him get his degree first, but regardless, it shouldn't be the NBA's choice.

LTBaByyy
12-13-2010, 05:19 AM
Of course not i mean don't we have enough problems getting give to get an education and what if they get injured early and where drafted low, what then. Wake up ppl these kids need an education. Some may get lucky and make it but is it worth the risk. Also what does this teach are youth, hey kid just play bball and screw school??? Seriously sports will be the first thing to go in an economy that is falling apart.

Dude all the stars that would get drafted dont get an education, their basically college drop outs after a year if you think about it

And that year of "education" is full of classes like jogging and basket weaving haha

They do that to the players at my school and were just a mid major D-1

Basketball players take hard classes during the summer

Lakerfrk
12-13-2010, 05:40 AM
Dude all the stars that would get drafted dont get an education, their basically college drop outs after a year if you think about it

Sorry to do this.. but his is just too funny.. That sentence is hilarious.. its "they're" not "their"... ironic...

As for the thoughts....

I agree with an earlier poster that, if it were my kid, then I would make him go to college... but as it were, I have the money to support my family while sending a kid to school.. some of these kids don't..

I think its silly to jump directly to the pros, as I think school is important.. (says the 25 year old with a BA, MFA, and PHD)...

BUT... having said this... the NBA should not be setting the the age limit, though I do like the rule because it makes the players more mature... its quite the dilemma!

junion
12-13-2010, 05:53 AM
yes.

they're pretty much 18 or months away from it. they can make their own decisions, and make their own mistakes.

everyone gets to do what they're good at. some people are cut out of physical work - lifting, etc. some people are made for academic work - accounting, etc. some are made for health work - nursing, etc. and some are made for sports.

people go to college to learn a trade to earn a living. if a player goes straight to the NBA, then they can make their living. if they choose not to go to the nba, they know the risks, they make their own decisions and live up their own triumphs or consequences.

i wish they can SUGGEST going to college first (for the majority, but there's always those talents like kobe,lebron, dwight, kg who are an exception).. but i don't like the fact that it's MANDATORY to take a year off (meant for college) before they are allowed to go to the nba.

high school players should be eligible. i think they have to finish high school, but they don't have to have anything to do with college if they don't want.

going to college and playing there can help build a player's game, but that should be the choice of the player. they'll learn their lesson if they regret it, or they'll learn in the nba and that's how it goes.

some people aren't cut out of academics because their strength is sports. It's unfair to those people.

I know it's not mandatory to take that one year off to go to college, but that's the reason they put that rule in.

210Don
12-13-2010, 05:55 AM
of course they should

Two-3
12-13-2010, 07:10 AM
those are the only superstars I see there.

So Dwight Howard is no superstar right? Or Amare Stoudamire?

Supa
12-13-2010, 07:12 AM
I say let NCAA baby-sit the young players for at least one year, it's good for college basketball, and it's good for NBA.

---

203 Uconn LaL
12-13-2010, 08:24 AM
No atleast in college you can measure the talents against better competition. Look how many busts there was coming out of high school. Sure you have the kg the kobes the lebrons but more have not made it then the the ones who have. Their bodies are not ready most of the time and you have a darius miles case or Jonathan bender case.

moxie106
12-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Fabulous surprise. Our company has discount activities recent days. Nike shoes, Jordan shoes, High heel shoes, dress and so on. If u want, you can get your beloved thing at its lowest price.
Welcome to
=== http://www.************====

flashelement
12-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Why does this question always come up about basketball...but not baseball, or hockey? Where's the outrage over baseball players signing million dollar contracts at 17 years old? Hmmm...

X-New-Yorker
12-13-2010, 09:43 AM
I personally think they should all go to college for atleast 2 years, and try to get some form of higher education.Then, if they don't pan out in the NBA, they will have some sorta college education to fall back on.

BALLER R
12-13-2010, 10:02 AM
on the fence because always depends on the maturity, come one we don't need any more young players who are labeled to become superstars and because their young and immature they fuss bout everything. i think college gives them that one year to kinda grow up a bit

Sixerlover
12-13-2010, 11:48 AM
No atleast in college you can measure the talents against better competition. Look how many busts there was coming out of high school. Sure you have the kg the kobes the lebrons but more have not made it then the the ones who have. Their bodies are not ready most of the time and you have a darius miles case or Jonathan bender case.

There are MANY busts that come out of college as well. Adam Morrison, Hasheem Thabeet, Acie Law, Joe Alexander, Shelden Williams etc and that's just in the last 3 or so years. Players can sneak out of college and still become terrible players as well.

I say if they want to come out of HS, and a team wants to draft them let it happen. I mean these are GM's, scouts and directors who's jobs are on the line. It isn't like they won't have a massive amount of information and interviews about the player as well as face to face contact numerous times before they judge whether or not he's ready for the league.

203 Uconn LaL
12-13-2010, 07:14 PM
There are MANY busts that come out of college as well. Adam Morrison, Hasheem Thabeet, Acie Law, Joe Alexander, Shelden Williams etc and that's just in the last 3 or so years. Players can sneak out of college and still become terrible players as well.

I say if they want to come out of HS, and a team wants to draft them let it happen. I mean these are GM's, scouts and directors who's jobs are on the line. It isn't like they won't have a massive amount of information and interviews about the player as well as face to face contact numerous times before they judge whether or not he's ready for the league.

You are right about that but at the same time we pretty much saw how they measured up against players of a higher skill set than high school and therefore got a better sense of how their game would translate to the next level. Of course there's gonna be bust coming from any angle but just look at the rate of the high schoolers that make it and the ones who don't. And it can be avoided if they just go to school for a year. I never expected much out of any of those guys you mentioned aside from Adam Morrison and seeing thabeet against dajuan Blair his last year at uconn I didn't expect much from him and aside from that he didn't dominate how I expected.

psych-out
12-13-2010, 07:16 PM
either straight from high school or 2 years of college like the nfl. one and done is pointless.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Maybe Stern wants them to at least try for college because he doesn't want to see more kids wasting themselves if they cant make it.

WolvesJagsOs
12-13-2010, 07:23 PM
ehh, i dont think so. I think that they should have to get soem type of education in college, but than again, idk, woudlnt be a bad idea i guess.

arkanian215
12-13-2010, 07:25 PM
They should have academies and have their first pro signings at 17 if offered a contract.

rickyk13
12-13-2010, 07:37 PM
I like competetive college basketball more than the nba so maybe its a bit bias but if they just a had a minor pay structure. Like not huge bucks but realistically these big market teams are the ones signing the top recruited players so why shouldnt they be getting paid.

They should have the option to sign a two year deal with a player option for the junior and senior years. I dont want them making millions but most of these kids would would benefit from 10-30k a year. And thats nothing compared to the revenue they generate

It should be a set max and min amount. So that it is not the huge recruiting tool it could be viewed as.

Each Team should have
x # of paid players with scholarships
x # of scholarship players
x # of walk ons

The walk ons are already just happy to be there. The scholarship players will be happy to get scholarships and could possibly prove themself into paid players. The paid players will actually have some incentive to go to college, get an education and have motivation to win a national championship and if they dont they know they can just wait 1 more year and still make 25k and have a chance to win it all. I think the hype of the NCAA holy grail has fallen off in our youth and there isnt that passion to win it that there was in the 90s.

Give them the money they deserve and the great college basketball we deserve!!!!

masalex1205
12-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Its a great system for the NBA but horrible for college b-ball because it forces players to develop a little bit and players that don't want to be in college are forced to be there which is makes for a prime environment for them taking money or other ncaa violations

magichatnumber9
12-13-2010, 07:43 PM
why not, it did a lot for Lebron's maturation.

Korman12
12-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Why does this question always come up about basketball...but not baseball, or hockey? Where's the outrage over baseball players signing million dollar contracts at 17 years old? Hmmm...

Because those sports have extensive minor league systems that each team follows.

My argument isn't a money one, it's about throwing kids right to the top when no other sport does it.

thomass
12-13-2010, 08:05 PM
na... most "professsions" require a college DEGREE. So what if the NBA requires a kid to go to college? And those kids that are truly gifted enough to make it to the NBA will be millonaires with only one year of school... sounds pretty good if you ask me.

Rego247
12-13-2010, 08:16 PM
na... most "professsions" require a college DEGREE. So what if the NBA requires a kid to go to college? And those kids that are truly gifted enough to make it to the NBA will be millonaires with only one year of school... sounds pretty good if you ask me.

ya but a kid wont be getting a degree in one year, if goes the one and done route. only if he stays in college will he get that degree.

why wait wait one year, why not become a millionaire in hs, that sounds really really good to me :D

NYKalltheway
12-13-2010, 08:26 PM
They should have academies and have their first pro signings at 17 if offered a contract.

:clap:

been saying that for at least 5 months now on PSD :D

RedRicanoBx
12-13-2010, 08:30 PM
I think they should do 2 yrs college first... if not do what jennings did and go to the euroleague...

blacknell
12-13-2010, 08:37 PM
yes because they only go for 1 year anyway not like they learn anything

Tony_Starks
12-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Yeah the restriction should be lifted. The idea that the restriction was for the kids benefit is a insulting joke. Its all about putting some extra $$ in these colleges pockets. Now you have kids going to college with no intent on staying, and after the first semester they don't even have to go to class anymore. If you have enough game to make it there's no need to waste time and risk injury spending a year in college.

Especially if your coming out of the hood, someone like Jennings for example. You're trying to get that money to set your family up, there's literally no time to spare.

thekmp211
12-13-2010, 09:22 PM
yes. let the studs make their money earlier. and let nba front offices learn the hard way if they have to do that a lot of players aren't ready for that jump. the bust's are on them.

kingkenny01
12-13-2010, 09:38 PM
this one year rule is just so college hoops can make money off a superstar for a year

ttam68
12-14-2010, 10:37 AM
I personally think they should all go to college for atleast 2 years, and try to get some form of higher education.Then, if they don't pan out in the NBA, they will have some sorta college education to fall back on.

Right, just like when you're in college you also train to be a mechanic. Then, you have something to fall back on.

----

Of course they should be allowed in. College or no college there are busts and huge successes. Sending 18 yr old Lebron to Kansas/Duke/wherever for a year would be a joke, and completely unfair to him. It makes a joke of the college system, where actual student athletes lose spots to professionals. And, its absurd to take away millions of dollars and a year of their very short careers from these athletes.

If teams can't handle the risk and don't want to draft highschoolers, then don't draft them. If a guy busts out of the NBA at 19, he's left with the same options (college for another career or play minor league/overseas) that he had in the first place, but he's now left with millions of dollars to help out.

Rentzias
12-14-2010, 10:49 AM
yes. let the studs make their money earlier. and let nba front offices learn the hard way if they have to do that a lot of players aren't ready for that jump. the bust's are on them.

Exactly. The NBA shouldn't be the mandate on "maturity" or preparing kids to have a fallback career. A lot of NBA players finish their degrees while in the pros. There are enough examples of success stories and busts out there, it's not like it's a new frontier for high school students. The one year in college rule makes a total mockery of college ball. Chauncey Billups put in a year in college, but the guy needed two. Where do you draw the line on these things?

I say high school's fine.