PDA

View Full Version : OJ Mayo to the Knicks?

D Roses Bulls
12-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Didn't see this posted, if it is, please move it.

The Knicks could be involved in separate deals related to Anthony Randolph and O.J. Mayo.

The Daily News reported that the Knicks have fielded calls from “several Western Conference clubs” regarding the 6-foot-11 Randolph, now out of Mike D’Antoni’s rotation.

The Houston Rockets, according to the report, would trade back the 2011 first-round pick the Knicks surrendered in the Tracy McGrady deal in exchange for Randolph.

Knicks president Donnie Walsh has repeatedly said he regretted trading away his 2011 pick, which the Knicks now need in a potential Carmelo Anthony trade. Anthony and the Nuggets come to MSG Sunday to face the Knicks (15-9).

Randolph told the Daily News that he was aware of a “couple of teams” reaching out to the Knicks.

In a separate matter, Memphis Grizzles guard O.J. Mayo could be on the move soon, and a source close to his family thinks he could end up with the Knicks.

“They’re gonna move him next week and I think he’s gonna end up in New York,” the source said.

D’Antoni appears to have lost faith in shooting guards Andy Rautins and Kelenna Azubuike. Rautins is completely out of the mix and D’Antoni has said he doesn’t think Azubuike has recovered sufficiently from his knee surgery to contribute.

Still, a second source close to the Knicks said he thought the Mayo acquisition was unlikely.

“I don’t think we’re gonna get him,” the second source said. “We’re playing so good, you really don’t want to mess with it. You don’t want to tinker with it too much.”

After Friday’s victory at Washington, the Knicks have won seven straight. Amar’e Stoudemire has notched 30+ in seven straight games, tying Willie Naulls’ franchise record set in the early 1960s.

Mayo recently lost his starting shooting guard spot to Xavier Henry, a rookie out of Kansas.

After averaging 18.5 points as a rookie in 2008-09 and 17.5 last season, Mayo is now averaging 12.0 this season. As a bench player in the last 10 games, he’s averaging 8.6 points.

Mayo played 24 minutes and scored six points in the team’s win Wednesday over Phoenix.

Mayo is making $4.5 million this season and is under contract through the 2011-12 season.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/12/11/randolph-mayo-on-the-move/

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

nycericanguy
12-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Alot of rumors today, another rumor said NY was trying to get Melo AND Mayo in a 3 team deal.

Sactown
12-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Kings please!

what54!?
12-11-2010, 04:37 PM
even though I dont want to admit it the bulls could use him

fadedmario
12-11-2010, 04:44 PM
OJ Mayo = Ben Gordon

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 04:45 PM
OJ Mayo = Ben Gordon

I have been saying this since he was in college. You are totally right

Weezy
12-11-2010, 04:45 PM
OJ Mayo = Ben Gordon

Yea I think with better defense. He could help the Knicks for bench scoring.

PurpleJesus28
12-11-2010, 04:46 PM
mayo to the bulls please! i could see him fitting in with NY though, theyd be pretty damn good with him too

D Roses Bulls
12-11-2010, 04:46 PM
yeah i dont want the bulls to get him. he's undersized and we already dealt with a undersized SG before

fadedmario
12-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Mayo would be a great fit in NY. I bet he'd average 20 ppg if he started in their system

Raps18-19 Champ
12-11-2010, 04:47 PM
OJ Mayo is going to be sick.

AddiX
12-11-2010, 04:49 PM
No thx to Mayo.

I hate "combo guards" that are really just undersized SG's.

MagicBucsSox
12-11-2010, 04:50 PM
OJ Mayo = Ben Gordon

Mayo was never a good a player Gordon was pre-pistons

xabial
12-11-2010, 04:52 PM
No thx to Mayo.

I hate "combo guards" that are really just undersized SG's.

x2

ShadyTip
12-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Mustard

fadedmario
12-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Mayo would make your team better NY. (imo)

what54!?
12-11-2010, 04:54 PM
depending on what you would have to give up it wouldn't hurt

HOZ THE KNICK
12-11-2010, 04:57 PM
donnie is working hard to get melo + mayo but for now these are just rumors wake me up when something go down.........we won 12 of our last 13 games why mess chemistry up now when we are rolling.

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Mayo was never a good a player Gordon was pre-pistons

when Mayo came out of USC, I basically said his ceiling was Gordon at the time. Still sticking by that. Mayo had so much hype coming out of school. Fact is, he has gotten worse this year, and didn't improve at all basically in year 2. He will be a fine rotation player, but anyone expecting him to be a star in the league is going to be dissappointed.

Khalifa21
12-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Who would we give up for him?

I don't want us to ruin our chances of getting Melo by dealing for Mayo, although i'd be pretty happy with the acquisition. I think it's pretty clear he doesn't feature in their future plans though... Especially with Z-Bo and Gasol both needing extensions, they just don't seem to have the money to tie Mayo up as well.

thedfactor
12-11-2010, 05:00 PM
O.J. Mayo in NY would be awesome. Hope it happens

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Mayo would make your team better NY. (imo)

how? They shoot a billion three's a game already. They don't need another chucker who is undersized to guard 2's

SNYmets86
12-11-2010, 05:01 PM
if the knicks organization know something we dont , about melo going somewhere else...
and having mayo as their plan b am all up for it ....

John Walls Era
12-11-2010, 05:04 PM
He is similar to Ben Gordon. Thats not a bad thing though.

Kashmir13579
12-11-2010, 05:05 PM
yeah i dont want the bulls to get him. he's undersized and we already dealt with a undersized SG before
say what you will. but the bulls have not been as exciting of a team since they lost gordon. during that series with boston, gordon completely took the game over and put the bulls on his shoulders.

Blazers#1Fan
12-11-2010, 05:06 PM
azubuike :facepalm: get into these trade talks portland

Kashmir13579
12-11-2010, 05:07 PM
how? They shoot a billion three's a game already. They don't need another chucker who is undersized to guard 2's

honestly i doubt he is more of a chucker than Toney Douglas. and yea we shoot a lot of 3s... wouldn't mind actually having a GOOD shooter like mayo shooting some of those (instead of chandler, Douglas, Felton, etc.)

Sactown
12-11-2010, 05:07 PM

Mayo is a combo guard who can shoot the three, he'd fit in well with sac because he can play the two on offense and guard the ones in the league while tyreke can do the opposite

Draco
12-11-2010, 05:08 PM
say what you will. but the bulls have not been as exciting of a team since they lost gordon. during that series with boston, gordon completely took the game over and put the bulls on his shoulders.

Either you're a very silly knicks fan or you really, really like BG7. :p

xxplayerxx23
12-11-2010, 05:13 PM
honestly i doubt he is more of a chucker than Toney Douglas. and yea we shoot a lot of 3s... wouldn't mind actually having a GOOD shooter like mayo shooting some of those (instead of chandler, Douglas, Felton, etc.)

Td is on and offa good 3 point shooter. Chandler has improved and felton isnt bad at the three. mayo would add to that i think he is good at shooting the three

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Mayo is a combo guard who can shoot the three, he'd fit in well with sac because he can play the two on offense and guard the ones in the league while tyreke can do the opposite

Sac would make sense though. If Sac will not budge on having Evans as their PG, then Mayo could be a floor spacer for them, which they desperately need.

Kashmir13579
12-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Either you're a very silly knicks fan or you really, really like BG7. :p

probably a little of both... am i wrong though? did you watch that series?! ben gordon was flat out unstoppable. its a catch 22 though because if it weren't for that series, he would not be overpaid as much as he is.

Sactown
12-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Sac would make sense though. If Sac will not budge on having Evans as their PG, then Mayo could be a floor spacer for them, which they desperately need.

They're really being stupid lol, Tyreke can pass the ball.. when they demand it from him.. and they desperately need a 3 point shooter.. it would work out so well

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 05:28 PM
They're really being stupid lol, Tyreke can pass the ball.. when they demand it from him.. and they desperately need a 3 point shooter.. it would work out so well

agreed. Reke needs a shooter or two on the floor to really dominate games. It allows him to look at an honest defense, where he can use his dribble drive to have a layup drill all night.

I just don't think the Knicks are a good fit for Mayo. I do think he needs a fresh start

Sactown
12-11-2010, 05:31 PM
agreed. Reke needs a shooter or two on the floor to really dominate games. It allows him to look at an honest defense, where he can use his dribble drive to have a layup drill all night.

I just don't think the Knicks are a good fit for Mayo. I do think he needs a fresh start

I'm not sure what the kings would even give up, and Mayo could get open shots as a knick if Melo also goes there?

NYKnicks4511
12-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Only reason why I wouldn't want this to go down (at least right now), is because we're winning. **** man, this Knicks team is a pretty damn cohesive unit.

Though we haven't proven ourselves against many top caliber teams yet, I think we should let it be for now, although having a weapon like O.J. on the team would really help. I think he would fit in right away, a rich man's Leandro Barbosa given that Mayo's passing skills are overlooked.

If we move Wilson back to the 6th man slot and start

PG: Felton (6'1")
G: Mayo (6'4")
G/F: Fields (6'7")
G/F: Gallinari (6'10")
PF/C: Amare (6'10")

then I think it could work, given that Fields plays more like a SF than a SG anyway, and dude racks up boards. We would be giving up height though, which could bite us in the *** against teams that really slow down the tempo. If only Danilo could play opposite the low block . . . :sigh:

So... idk, lol. Would be happy if it happened, but as long as we keep getting those Wins, OJ or not, I'll still have a smile on my face.

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Only reason why I wouldn't want this to go down (at least right now), is because we're winning. **** man, this Knicks team is a pretty damn cohesive unit.

Though we haven't proven ourselves against many top caliber teams yet, I think we should let it be for now, although having a weapon like O.J. on the team would really help. I think he would fit in right away, a rich man's Leandro Barbosa given that Mayo's passing skills are overlooked.

If we move Wilson back to the 6th man slot and start

PG: Felton
G: Mayo
G/F: Fields
G/F: Gallinari
PF/C: Amare

then I think it could work, given that Fields plays more like a SF than a SG anyway, and dude racks up boards. We would be giving up height though, which could bite us in the *** against teams that really slow down the tempo.

So... idk, lol. Would be happy if it happened, but as long as we keep getting those Wins, OJ or not, I'll still have a smile on my face.

I would bring Mayo off the bench. Fields appears he will be a more productive all around player on both ends. Mayo could be a spark off the bench.

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm not sure what the kings would even give up, and Mayo could get open shots as a knick if Melo also goes there?

if he can get shots with Gay and Randolph on the floor, he can get shots anywhere...

el_primo_nano
12-11-2010, 05:37 PM
If they get both Mayo and Melo it would be orgasmic:drool:

JerseysFinest
12-11-2010, 05:40 PM
hope NJ can snag him b4 NY does. his potential is off the charts

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 05:41 PM
hope NJ can snag him b4 NY does. his potential is off the charts

never got why people think this

JB0B0
12-11-2010, 05:43 PM
I'd like to see the Bulls make a move on him as well. We're in desperate need of a 2 guard, whether that be OJ Mayo or a player like Nick Young.

STAT1
12-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Felton, Mayo, Melo, and Amare? That's pretty solid. I don't see how this can happen though.

Draco
12-11-2010, 05:45 PM
probably a little of both... am i wrong though? did you watch that series?! ben gordon was flat out unstoppable. its a catch 22 though because if it weren't for that series, he would not be overpaid as much as he is.

He had been negotiating with the Bulls for ~$50 mil for two years. I do give him credit for stepping up in that series.

tangent12
12-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Why don't we just create a thread titled "The entire NBA to the Knicks rumor thread"?

JerseysFinest
12-11-2010, 05:48 PM

u hav 2 admit that he is pretty good, and he's still pretty young, 23 i believe. Maybe a change of scenery would help his game, who knows

godolphins
12-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Another player supposelly going to the Knicks :speechless:, how i'm I not suprise.

JB0B0
12-11-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't see the Mayo-Gordon comparisons. You guys say Mayo is undersized for a SG but he's the same height as Dwyane Wade. Also, Mayo can run the point a lot better than Gordon.

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 05:52 PM
u hav 2 admit that he is pretty good, and he's still pretty young, 23 i believe. Maybe a change of scenery would help his game, who knows

he had a good rookie year. His second year he showed no improvement. This year he has been bad. I do agree, he needs a change. But I never got the hype. A 6'4" combo guard with limited athletic ability.

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 05:55 PM
I don't see the Mayo-Gordon comparisons. You guys say Mayo is undersized for a SG but he's the same height as Dwyane Wade. Also, Mayo can run the point a lot better than Gordon.

at this point, I would take Gordon over Mayo any day of the week

fadedmario
12-11-2010, 05:58 PM

I also think he has potential. It sounds like I haven't watched him as much as you. I noticed he has gotten worse every year in the league though. i just think he will be a 20+ scorer in Mike D's system

zambo4president
12-11-2010, 05:58 PM
****! My O.J. Mayo Grizzlies jersey is my favorite. Now it's gonna be outdated:sigh:

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 06:00 PM
I also think he has potential. It sounds like I haven't watched him as much as you. I noticed he has gotten worse every year in the league though. i just think he will be a 20+ score in Mike D's system

well, I never thought he had superstar potential. I think he has the potential to be a nice scorer on a good team for sure. But he was being compared to Kobe in 10th grade, and when I watched him at USC, I never understood it. Nothing in him says superstar. Will he be a terrific player? Its possible. Will he be 1st team all NBA at any point in his career. Hell no

el_primo_nano
12-11-2010, 06:01 PM

He knows how to score. He's been great since high school, sometimes its the system that doesnt allow the player to progress

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 06:04 PM
He knows how to score. He's been great since high school, sometimes its the system that doesnt allow the player to progress

how does being a good scorer cry out superstar potential?

Look, its not that I don't like Mayo, or think he will not be a good player. But this is a guy who by 10th grade, was being compared to Kobe, and had nearly as much hype as LeBron. He went to USC, and there were better players in the conference obviously. He came in and shot the ball well, but has regressed. He is limited on his size and speed, and I honestly never understand why he was ever hyped so much, and I for sure don't understand why there are fans out there who still think he is going to be a superstar. He has shown nothing of the sorts.
Good player? Yep.

Superstar talent? Nope.

Slimsim
12-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Don't believe all this ******** Rumors.

Evolution23
12-11-2010, 06:13 PM
I would bring Mayo off the bench. Fields appears he will be a more productive all around player on both ends. Mayo could be a spark off the bench.

x2

hugepatsfan
12-11-2010, 06:14 PM
I think a move to NY would be good for Mayo.

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 06:16 PM
x2

ladies and gentleman, the first time in PSD history that Evolution and I have agreed on something

:cheers:

nycericanguy
12-11-2010, 06:17 PM
NY doesnt NEED Mayo. I prefer Fields at the 2 guard. But if MEM is just looking to unload him for cheap NY has to listen. It all gets complicated though because we need to save our assets for Melo.

Sadds The Gr8
12-11-2010, 06:18 PM
he had a good rookie year. His second year he showed no improvement. This year he has been bad. I do agree, he needs a change. But I never got the hype. A 6'4" combo guard with limited athletic ability.

wrong. It's not off the charts like Eric Gordon, but it sure as hell isn't limited.

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 06:23 PM
wrong. It's not off the charts like Eric Gordon, but it sure as hell isn't limited.

when speaking about possible superstar, yes it is. I am not saying he is Kevin Love athletically. I am saying I never understood the Kobe comparisons from the first second I watched Mayo.
Again, Ben Gordon 2.0 probably. Not the worst thing though

Sadds The Gr8
12-11-2010, 06:24 PM
when speaking about possible superstar, yes it is. I am not saying he is Kevin Love athletically. I am saying I never understood the Kobe comparisons from the first second I watched Mayo.

i could agree with that...but i thought u meant he had no athleticism at all...like a Billups for example.

Sactown
12-11-2010, 06:25 PM

His ball handling is better than Gordons and he's a better passer.. they're both streaky shooters and both limited athletically and limited height at their positions

Sactown
12-11-2010, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if down the road a team tries to turn him into a true PG

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 06:28 PM
His ball handling is better than Gordons and he's a better passer.. they're both streaky shooters and both limited athletically and limited height at their positions

Gordon is a slightly better athlete, and at this stage of their careers, by far a better scorer. Gordon also has like 9' long arms, so his 6'4" size isn't much of an issue.
Gordon has outplayed Mayo big time this season so far.

Sactown
12-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Gordon is a slightly better athlete, and at this stage of their careers, by far a better scorer. Gordon also has like 9' long arms, so his 6'4" size isn't much of an issue.
Gordon has outplayed Mayo big time this season so far.

I think the upside on Mayo is better partly because I think Mayo can be a solid player with limited touches, as Gordon is a volume player.. I'd take Mayo over Gordon on my team

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 06:34 PM
I think the upside on Mayo is better partly because I think Mayo can be a solid player with limited touches, as Gordon is a volume player.. I'd take Mayo over Gordon on my team

not me. I like my scorers to be efficient.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=gordoer01&y1=2011&p2=mayooj01&y2=2011

Gordon also showed this summer that he can be effective as a limited touch player as well. Honestly, at this point its not even close between the two.

Evolution23
12-11-2010, 06:39 PM
ladies and gentleman, the first time in PSD history that Evolution and I have agreed on something

:cheers:

lol love u too bro haha

el_primo_nano
12-11-2010, 06:40 PM
how does being a good scorer cry out superstar potential?

Look, its not that I don't like Mayo, or think he will not be a good player. But this is a guy who by 10th grade, was being compared to Kobe, and had nearly as much hype as LeBron. He went to USC, and there were better players in the conference obviously. He came in and shot the ball well, but has regressed. He is limited on his size and speed, and I honestly never understand why he was ever hyped so much, and I for sure don't understand why there are fans out there who still think he is going to be a superstar. He has shown nothing of the sorts.
Good player? Yep.

Superstar talent? Nope.

I never said he was a superstar. Just said he has potential to drop points every night

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 06:41 PM
I never said he was a superstar. Just said he has potential to drop points every night

fair enough. I think he needs a change of teams badly.

Evolution23
12-11-2010, 06:42 PM
I used to love Gordon in Chicago but he fell off in Detroit. Mayo always had that Kobe camparison before he was drafted but I doubt he will ever be a superstar in this league, let alone Kobe. He is still a good scorer and a decent defender and he can benefit more in an opne mike D system. Also if he comes off the bench like Hawk Eye said, he can be that effectiive 6th man that can drop 15ppg.

Sadds The Gr8
12-11-2010, 06:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xduKGYYWoKw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6BQ3MmMrqE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSbOIp8B0H4

A 6'3 guard who can dunk off vertical is limited athletically?:eyebrow:

JB0B0
12-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Bulls fans want Mayo and Knicks fans want Melo. Imagine the Knicks getting Mayo and the Bulls getting Melo lmao

Mayweather&NYK
12-11-2010, 07:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xduKGYYWoKw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6BQ3MmMrqE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSbOIp8B0H4

A 6'3 guard who can dunk off vertical is limited athletically?:eyebrow:

They are talking about Ben Gordon :facepalm::facepalm::silly:

Mayweather&NYK
12-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Bulls fans want Mayo and Knicks fans want Melo. Imagine the Knicks getting Mayo and the Bulls getting Melo lmao

Its not gunna happen because, Den wants nothing to do with Deng, and the contract u guys gave Noah pretty much cancels u guys out bruh...NY is on its way to prominence in this league and they will soon be deserving of league wide Respect like LA, BOS, ORL, MIA, DAL, SAS

RZZZA
12-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Good for the Knicks. Honestly, New York deserves a great team.

Bulls still need a Sg though

JB0B0
12-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Its not gunna happen because, Den wants nothing to do with Deng, and the contract u guys gave Noah pretty much cancels u guys out bruh...NY is on its way to prominence in this league and they will soon be deserving of league wide Respect like LA, BOS, ORL, MIA, DAL, SAS

The Bulls landing Melo may be pie in the sky, but so was Miami landing LBJ, Wade, and Bosh.

B.JenningsMVP
12-11-2010, 07:50 PM
That'd be dope!
Or he would fit with the Bulls too, he'd be the perfect replacement for what Ben Gordon was to Chi.
Whatever it is get him outta Memphis b/c I've always been a fan of OJ but it's obvious the Grizz are Gay's team.

D Roses Bulls
12-11-2010, 07:50 PM

that's speculation. you dont know whats going to happen. first of all the bulls wont give up noah, second denvenr would still take noah cause im sure they would of gave noah a similar contract. plus the bulls still have more pieces to offer such as gibson, brewer and korver come december 15th along with 3 draft picks. two from this year and one from next year. also by the way, deng is only 25 who has been playing well this year on both offense and defense so im sure he looks more enticing then he did a couple months ago.

JB0B0
12-11-2010, 07:54 PM
If the Bulls really wanted Melo, I could see a trade like:

Deng, Bulls 2nd to Toronto or Cleveland (both teams have trade exceptions)
Melo to Chicago
Taj, JJ, Asik, Bulls 1st, Charlotte's 1st to Denver

D Roses Bulls
12-11-2010, 07:57 PM

Melo to Chicago

good point as well..... people forget the 3 team trades as well.

Khalifa21
12-11-2010, 08:08 PM

Melo to Chicago

Yeah, i'm sure the Raps and Cavs would both happily volunteer to have priceless cap space chewed up by Deng's horrible contract.

And Nuggets giving up Melo for a 25 year old, second year big man who's ceiling looks to be about 10/6 and two 1st rounders... What you smoking dude?

Mayweather&NYK
12-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Yeah, i'm sure the Raps and Cavs would both happily volunteer to have priceless cap space chewed up by Deng's horrible contract.

And Nuggets giving up Melo for a 25 year old, second year big man who's ceiling looks to be about 10/6 and two 1st rounders... What you smoking dude?

TTHHHHAAANNNKK YOUU!!!:laugh:

The Knicks have been Melo's Preferred Destination, and the closer we get to the Deadline the more obvious it will become.....im just waiting for when he does get traded to NY and all the Bulls fans start sayin how they did't want anyway, or that it doesn't makes the Knicks contenders....

We have been the biggest Surprise of the season, and ppl hate to admit it..Melo will turn us into a Championship team.....especially if we get Mayo too....wow.... its funny how ppl get all heated about reported trade rumors involving us...its like ppl think we are supposed to always be a mediocre team and never turn the corner.....The Bulls have been a team that was supposed to be Legit contenders back when they still had BG and TT...and im not taking anything away from u guys, because I think u have a really good team, but its as if u think only CHicago has what it takes to get a deal done, and only Chicago can sneak up on the elite of the east....:facepalm:

It's a new era of NY bball and it will only be a god thing for the NBA. Give respect to get it

pistonsfanomg
12-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Would be a nice acquisition for the Knicks

Dieheartjetsfan
12-11-2010, 08:34 PM
knicks should just play season out with what they have.....sign melo in the summer (cause its obvious thats where he wants to be) and next year they would be NBA title contenders.

JB0B0
12-11-2010, 08:39 PM
The Bulls don't need Melo to be title contenders. We need a 2 guard who can play defense and shoot the 3 ball consistently. Also, if the Knicks are serious about being title contenders, fire D'Antoni because his system does not succeed in the playoffs.

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 08:51 PM

actually we were referring to Eric.

BkOriginalOne
12-11-2010, 08:59 PM
The Knicks don't really need Mayo, (they still have Azubike who is due back) they need a backup point guard who can pass.

Mayweather&NYK
12-11-2010, 09:06 PM

I stand corrected sir :mad:

nystandup
12-11-2010, 09:11 PM
The Knicks don't really need Mayo, (they still have Azubike who is due back) they need a backup point guard who can pass.

by the sound of things, it doesn't look like Azu is the same player with his lateral movement yet and its gunna be tough for mike d to find him playing time right now so i think hes best used in a trade for a team looking to shed salary since his contract is up after this season.

Giaps
12-11-2010, 09:11 PM
I liked him before he was drafted but not a huge fan anymore.

commonsense12
12-11-2010, 09:20 PM
by the sound of things, it doesn't look like Azu is the same player with his lateral movement yet and its gunna be tough for mike d to find him playing time right now so i think hes best used in a trade for a team looking to shed salary since his contract is up after this season.

If he doesnt play by Jan 21st his insurance kicks in, which would be great for a team acquiring him. Basically it will allow them to recoup 80% of his contract which is 2.6 millish. So a team strapped for cash can shed a player and get a check back, not a bad deal for a team low on funds.

Sadds The Gr8
12-11-2010, 09:27 PM
not me. I like my scorers to be efficient.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=gordoer01&y1=2011&p2=mayooj01&y2=2011

Gordon also showed this summer that he can be effective as a limited touch player as well. Honestly, at this point its not even close between the two.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Mayweather&NYK
12-11-2010, 09:32 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

oH Saddler...lol...:rolleyes::up:
guess u had to get that in huh...

VillaMaravilla
12-11-2010, 09:34 PM
I've wanted this guy when he came out Mayo I'm mikes system wold be nasty and anytime you have a chance to picl up a player with kobe like worth ethic is a no brainer to me and we wouldn't have to give up any of our main guys to get gim even better

Kashmir13579
12-11-2010, 10:17 PM
how did we go from ben gordon to eric gordon? i'm a little confused.

KnicksorBust
12-11-2010, 10:20 PM
We need a center more than we need OJ Mayo.

fadedmario
12-11-2010, 10:27 PM
I used to love Gordon in Chicago but he fell off in Detroit. Mayo always had that Kobe camparison before he was drafted but I doubt he will ever be a superstar in this league, let alone Kobe. He is still a good scorer and a decent defender and he can benefit more in an opne mike D system. Also if he comes off the bench like Hawk Eye said, he can be that effectiive 6th man that can drop 15ppg.

Hamilton needs to go and Gordon needs minutes. he's playing about 9 minutes less than what he played in Chicago on most nights.

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 10:39 PM
how did we go from ben gordon to eric gordon? i'm a little confused.

no, they have both been involved. The comparison for Mayo for some has been BEN. But another convo started up on Eric vs OJ. That is all.

Hawkeye15
12-11-2010, 10:40 PM
We need a center more than we need OJ Mayo.

exactly

Sir Buckets
12-11-2010, 11:05 PM
He's definitely going to New York...

...on his way to Chicago.

ElMarroAfamado
12-11-2010, 11:09 PM
OJ Mayo is a chucker and he really sucks but i can see this style suiting dantonis style...

ElMarroAfamado
12-11-2010, 11:13 PM
haha at people thinking the Clippers would get rid of Eric Gordon.
we are the stupidest and most pathetic franchise in the history of sports but even then i dont think we would get rid of Eric Gordon or Blake Griffin besides that the knicks can go for anyone else...i think a guy like Rasual Butler is more suited for their style...

JB0B0
12-11-2010, 11:38 PM
I've wanted this guy when he came out Mayo I'm mikes system wold be nasty and anytime you have a chance to picl up a player with kobe like worth ethic is a no brainer to me and we wouldn't have to give up any of our main guys to get gim even better

I'm as big of an OJ Mayo fan there is but come on man...

Kyben36
12-12-2010, 12:04 AM
What do the knicks have to give up, dont they owe alot of picks to other teams, and I dont see them dealing anyone who would be worth Mayo .

JB0B0
12-12-2010, 12:08 AM
What do the knicks have to give up, dont they owe alot of picks to other teams, and I dont see them dealing anyone who would be worth Mayo .

They don't have any picks.

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Its funny Knicks fans laugh at us when we throw in a potential offer for Melo, yet they fail to counter with an offer of their own. The only thing I read is "we all know Melo wants NY"...uhhh ya, just like we all knew Lebron wanted NY as well, how did that turn out? All I know is, the Nuggets aren't gonna just let the guy walk without getting anything in return, they're gonna trade him to a team he'd be willing to resign with and where they can get back 1st round picks.

HeaTxRipZz
12-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Its funny Knicks fans laugh at us when we throw in a potential offer for Melo, yet they fail to counter with an offer of their own. The only thing I read is "we all know Melo wants NY"...uhhh ya, just like we all knew Lebron wanted NY as well, how did that turn out? All I know is, the Nuggets aren't gonna just let the guy walk without getting anything in return, they're gonna trade him to a team he'd be willing to resign with and where they can get back 1st round picks.

In the same token Bulls fans were hyped on Lebron as well as Knick fans....At different moments each fan base was made to believe he was closer to coming there....Hell what about Chicago and Wade? I'm a bulls fan first knick fan second but don't bring something up like that knowing everyone was on that hype train as well

Knicks21
12-12-2010, 12:29 AM
The Bulls don't need Melo to be title contenders. We need a 2 guard who can play defense and shoot the 3 ball consistently. Also, if the Knicks are serious about being title contenders, fire D'Antoni because his system does not succeed in the playoffs.

It succeeded enough to go to the Western Conference finals.

metspride21
12-12-2010, 12:31 AM
i d take mayo, but what are we talking here?
bill walker, second round pick, maybe rautins,..a package with Curry
im not giving up much for this guy,.. but id glady take him

JB0B0
12-12-2010, 12:43 AM
It succeeded enough to go to the Western Conference finals.

He had Nash, Joe Johnson, Quentin Richardson in his prime, and Amare, yet he couldn't win it all. That should tell you something.

xxplayerxx23
12-12-2010, 12:59 AM

Ok three team trade. memphis, knicks, and nuggets
Knicks get melo mayo
Nuggets get curry chandler 1st rounder from memphis,bukie
memphis gets.Anthony randolph Bill walker and toney dogulas. Good relif for memphis fair all around.. Memphis is a lottery pick this year i think it would be fair? thoughts

La lakers 24
12-12-2010, 01:08 AM
I think it would be good if it came somewhat cheap. He would be a good fit get more open threes.

Super.
12-12-2010, 01:16 AM
Mayo on the Knicks...is actually a pretty solid team. It all depends on what they give up

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-12-2010, 01:23 AM
Knicks get melo mayo
memphis gets.Anthony randolph Bill walker and toney dogulas. Good relif for memphis fair all around.. Memphis is a lottery pick this year i think it would be fair? thoughts

Anybody can make up a fantasy 3-team trade. I'm talking about coming up with something between the Knicks & Nuggets straight up. No? Of course not because the Knicks don't have 1st round picks for the next 2 years or w/e.

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-12-2010, 01:27 AM
In the same token Bulls fans were hyped on Lebron as well as Knick fans....At different moments each fan base was made to believe he was closer to coming there....Hell what about Chicago and Wade? I'm a bulls fan first knick fan second but don't bring something up like that knowing everyone was on that hype train as well

Sure we were hyped on Lebron. For like 2 MONTHS compared to 2 YEARS for Knicks fans. There wasn't a single Bulls fan who believed we could get Lebron until after Chris Broussard gave his "gun to the head" opinion and then people around the media started mentioning it and then finally after draft day when we traded Hinrich for more cap space.

Ebbs
12-12-2010, 01:28 AM

I disagree I think he could still be a star

xxplayerxx23
12-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Anybody can make up a fantasy 3-team trade. I'm talking about coming up with something between the Knicks & Nuggets straight up. No? Of course not because the Knicks don't have 1st round picks for the next 2 years or w/e.

Fine curry, Chandler fields. 2nd round pick and Anthony randolph i think theyd take that. then we can get mayo and be better then ever with out giving up galo

Robbw241
I'll kill Billy King if he trades for him. Want him nowhere near this team.

JB0B0
Sure we were hyped on Lebron. For like 2 MONTHS compared to 2 YEARS for Knicks fans. There wasn't a single Bulls fan who believed we could get Lebron until after Chris Broussard gave his "gun to the head" opinion and then people around the media started mentioning it and then finally after draft day when we traded Hinrich for more cap space.

Plus the Bulls already have a top 10 small forward in Luol Deng so it didn't hurt as much.

sintaks12
12-12-2010, 01:35 AM

And where exactly is that again? Melo holds ALL the cards and has ALL the leverage. So he'll go where he wants to, period. God willing, it's to NY.

SluggeR
12-12-2010, 01:37 AM
NYK: Mayo/Thabeet/Jaric's contract

Griz: Randolph/Bill Walker/Curry

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-12-2010, 01:40 AM
Plus the Bulls already have a top 10 small forward in Luol Deng so it didn't hurt as much.

Deng has been balling this year with his 3-point shooting revelation. I'd love to have Melo, but I won't give 2 ***** if he goes to NY either. We just need a SG.

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-12-2010, 01:41 AM
And where exactly is that again? Melo holds ALL the cards and has ALL the leverage. So he'll go where he wants to, period. God willing, it's to NY.

He said Knicks or Bulls. So either of those 2.

29$JerZ
12-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Mayo would be a great 6th man for NY, Landry pretty much is our perfect SG and to change that now is dumb.

ChI_ShIzzLe
12-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Fine curry, Chandler fields. 2nd round pick and Anthony randolph i think theyd take that. then we can get mayo and be better then ever with out giving up galo

More like hang up the phone. :facepalm:

MTar786
12-12-2010, 01:48 AM
combo guard is the worst hybrid postion you get in the nba. infact.. combo gurad is the worst u get in the nba period. combo guards are only good if its a PG in a SG's body like a ron harper.. not a SG in a PG's body

the allen iversons of the nba, oj mayos wont get anywhere.. they are great 6th men at best.. to get u that scoring off the bench ie bobby jackson, ben gordon etc..

sintaks12
12-12-2010, 01:57 AM

You say that, but leverage is a mofo. Get what you can now or lose him and get nothing at the end of the year. That's the bottom line here. No one is renting Melo. He doesnt move at the deadline without an extension. So like you said... Knicks or Bulls in a trade now... Or Knicks sign him outright in FA.

knicks=love
12-12-2010, 01:59 AM
NYK: Mayo/Thabeet/Jaric's contract

Griz: Randolph/Bill Walker/Curry

please tell me this would work :pray:

xxplayerxx23
12-12-2010, 02:18 AM

really as of right now he wants there. and thats a lot of talent there getting and salary relif. Dont worry he will b a knick either way

Hawkeye15
12-12-2010, 12:14 PM

why? What in him screams out possible star?

Slimsim
12-12-2010, 12:28 PM
why? What in him screams out possible star?

he has a cool Name ?

Hawkeye15
12-12-2010, 12:29 PM
he has a cool Name ?

dangit, never thought of it that way. You are right.

NYYCowboys
12-12-2010, 12:50 PM
he has a cool Name ?

:laugh:

lilojmayo
12-12-2010, 01:29 PM

OJ Mayo is a premier talents, their is a reason he was a top 3 pick in the NBA with just spending one year in college. Will be a perennial all-star once he leaves Memphis.

He will make all you Knick fans happy OJ Mayo, Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudamire is just a nasty big 3.

Let's hope a trade go through or any that gets him out of Memphis. Put it this way Knick Fans it is better he joins you, then let him torch you in his prime playing alongside Derrick Rose in Chicago.

JOSKOMANG4
12-12-2010, 03:44 PM
OJ Mayo for Jason Thompson?

Kings:

C) Dalembart/Cousins/Whiteside
PF) Landry/D.Jackson
SF) Casspi/D.Greene
SG) Mayo/Garcia/L.Head
PG) T.Evans/Udroh/Jeter

Grizzles:

C) M.Gasol/Thabeet/Haddidi
PF) Z.Randolph/J.Thompson/D.Arthur
SF) R.Gay/D.Carroll
SG) X.Henry/T.Allen/S.Young
PG) M.Conley JR/G.Vasquez

TrueFan420
12-12-2010, 03:58 PM
OJ Mayo for Jason Thompson?

Kings:

C) Dalembart/Cousins/Whiteside
PF) Landry/D.Jackson
SF) Casspi/D.Greene
SG) Mayo/Garcia/L.Head
PG) T.Evans/Udroh/Jeter

Grizzles:

C) M.Gasol/Thabeet/Haddidi
PF) Z.Randolph/J.Thompson/D.Arthur
SF) R.Gay/D.Carroll
SG) X.Henry/T.Allen/S.Young
PG) M.Conley JR/G.Vasquez

not a bad move for either team

scutch11
12-12-2010, 04:10 PM

Oh yea, and what exactly is your offer for Melo? Luol Deng, James Johnson and a first? Both the knicks and bulls can get Melo if they gave up everyone. The Knicks could trade gallo, chandler, randolph, fields and a 2014 1st...that would get it done just like if the bulls add Noah that would get it done. The thing is though, that both teams know they have leverage so they wont do deals like that. To say that the knicks have no possible way of getting Melo is just unintelligent. It just so happens that Denver thinks they can get better offers right now.

thekmp211
12-12-2010, 04:49 PM
i could see mayo fitting in nicely in new york, but as has been mentioned here don't really see him as a top-flight talent.

i think he was so hyped when he was younger because his game was very polished. he could have probably played out of high school had he had the option.

the problem is, he hasn't progressed all that much since then. he has a great shooting stroke, but is really an average scorer. doesn't drive or get to the line all that much, and isn't an elite athlete at the nba level.

lvlheaded
12-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Id love to get both Melo and Mayo. I think Mayo in the Knicks system can be a 20 ppg guy. Donnie will figure it out, I have all the trust in the world in him

sep11ie
12-12-2010, 05:38 PM
OJ Mayo = Ben Gordon

Yea I think with better defense. He could help the Knicks for bench scoring.

All this is true, but at a forth of the price...

Hawkeye15
12-12-2010, 05:57 PM
All this is true, but at a forth of the price...

for now anyways. Mayo will get a much bigger deal than a rookie contract after next season

Slimsim
12-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Just read on Hoopshype that Memphis was interested in Chandler For Mayo Swap

metspride21
12-13-2010, 02:11 AM
Knicks get melo mayo

I think this, alot
wish they thought like you up there

drobe86
12-13-2010, 02:24 AM
Mayos a baller and just needs more time in the NBA. The Knicks would be a great fit, and so would my Mavs...

PrettyBoyJ
12-13-2010, 02:55 AM
If Mayo accepts coming off the bench.. I like Landry Fields as a starter...

NBA-GMaster
12-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Want to see him going to Bulls or Thunder..
Mayo for Green
Kristic/Collison/Mullens
Ibaka/White/Aldrich
Durant/Sefolosha/Peterson
Mayo/Harden/Cook
Westbrook/Maynor/Ivey

Giving a chance for Ibaka to start and giving Aldrich and Mullens to play and develop in NBA..

Gasol/Thabeet/Haddadi
Randolph/Arthur/
Green/Henry/Young
Gay/Allen
Conley/Vasquez

other ideas:
Mayo and Thabeet for Maynor, Cook and Kristic plus 1st rd pick(the Clips pick for 2012)
Mayo and Thabeet for Harden and Kristic

Rndy
12-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Oh yea, and what exactly is your offer for Melo? Luol Deng, James Johnson and a first? Both the knicks and bulls can get Melo if they gave up everyone. The Knicks could trade gallo, chandler, randolph, fields and a 2014 1st...that would get it done just like if the bulls add Noah that would get it done. The thing is though, that both teams know they have leverage so they wont do deals like that. To say that the knicks have no possible way of getting Melo is just unintelligent. It just so happens that Denver thinks they can get better offers right now.

Although I want nothing to do with Melo and his terrible efficiency . Bobcats first round pick is better then anything you guys could offer. But I hope Melo goes to the Knicks, his antics are perfect for them.

lilojmayo
12-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Mayos a baller and just needs more time in the NBA. The Knicks would be a great fit, and so would my Mavs...

Exactly, he is going to be a player in 2 years where he makes almost every NBA team say why didn't I make a run for him when his stock was at an all time low, while supposively being on the block

akagiredsuns
12-13-2010, 02:04 PM
OJ Mayo = Ben Gordon

That is insulting to Mayo. Dude, please. :facepalm:

daleja424
12-13-2010, 02:07 PM
That is insulting to Mayo. Dude, please. :facepalm:

how? it is actually a pretty decent comparison. If anything...BG would be insulted by this...since he played at a high level for far longer...

The career stats are nearly identical...and both have been marginalized because their roles have been diminished.

Dr Cyanide 28
12-13-2010, 02:08 PM
dont you know, everybody is going to the knicks

daleja424
12-13-2010, 02:09 PM
maybe the Knicks are trying to get mao involved in a three way to send him to Denver to sweeten the Melo deal. If they intend to have Mayo, Melo, and Amare there will be ZERO defense played and they will have to give up a lot of their hustle guys...

xxxplicit69
12-13-2010, 02:12 PM
I would pretty damn pissed at this move. As a Bulls fan, I really want Melo but recent reports point to his passion for wanting to play for the Knicks. Fine, but damn the next best move the Bulls could make is getting either KMart or Mayo. If the Bulls sit back and watch Knicks get Melo and Mayo, that would suck. We couldn't compete with that team. I get the feeling teams just aren't willing to do fair trades with Chicago teams like they are with other teams. Whenever Chicago is involved or rumored in deals, counterparts want like half are squad but then you have deals like the Gasoltrade go down, or how easy it was for Ravens to get Boldin or Jets with Santonio Holmes.

And the Knicks seem to be the most rumored team in the NBA to get every star player available, From the LeBron James off-season along with Bosh and Wade, to Melo, Mayo, etc. etc. :mad:

td0tsfinest
12-13-2010, 02:12 PM
December 15th is two days away? Are we going to hear some noise? I don't think so but these rumours do keep things interesting.

daleja424
12-13-2010, 02:16 PM
I would pretty damn pissed at this move. As a Bulls fan, I really want Melo but recent reports point to his passion for wanting to play for the Knicks. Fine, but damn the next best move the Bulls could make is getting either KMart or Mayo. If the Bulls sit back and watch Knicks get Melo and Mayo, that would suck. We couldn't compete with that team. I get the feeling teams just aren't willing to do fair trades with Chicago teams like they are with other teams. Whenever Chicago is involved or rumored in deals, counterparts want like half are squad but then you have deals like the Gasoltrade go down, or how easy it was for Ravens to get Boldin or Jets with Santonio Holmes.

And the Knicks seem to be the most rumored team in the NBA to get every star player available, From the LeBron James off-season along with Bosh and Wade, to Melo, Mayo, etc. etc. :mad:

I know the feeling. I feel like the HEAT need to make a couple small moves to get better, but I get the sense we would have to overpay to get anything done. :mad:

daleja424
12-13-2010, 02:17 PM
December 15th is two days away? Are we going to hear some noise? I don't think so but these rumours do keep things interesting.

december 15th doesnt mean anything to these deals that are being rumored right now. december 15th only applies to players that were signed as FAs this year. most of the Knick deals could be done right now if the teams agreed.

cheetos185
12-13-2010, 02:19 PM
december 15th doesnt mean anything to these deals that are being rumored right now. december 15th only applies to players that were signed as FAs this year. most of the Knick deals could be done right now if the teams agreed.

buike and AR can't be traded together till dec 15th

mrblisterdundee
12-13-2010, 02:32 PM
That sounds awesome for the Knicks. I know Mayo might be in a slump, but he's damn good. I'd want at least Wilson Chandler for him. I wish Portland would make a move to get him. He could recreate Brandon Roy's production, if given the time.

daleja424
12-13-2010, 02:34 PM
buike and AR can't be traded together till dec 15th

I know... because they came over via trade... but the deals could go down without trading those two together as well... it would just have to be perhaps a slightly different deal.

td0tsfinest
12-13-2010, 02:34 PM

I know it does. Both teams and a lot of other teams do have guys that were signed but will be looked to move. Roger Mason could be one of them, for contract purposes.

Regardless, with the trade deadline a couple of months away, December 15th is typically the part of the season were teams become more active and start exploring more options.

hugepatsfan
12-13-2010, 02:38 PM
maybe the Knicks are trying to get mao involved in a three way to send him to Denver to sweeten the Melo deal. If they intend to have Mayo, Melo, and Amare there will be ZERO defense played and they will have to give up a lot of their hustle guys...

I Mayo could be a good defender on the right team. But I don't think the Knicks are that team. If he was on BOS, for example, I think he would be a good defender because of the culture.

daleja424
12-13-2010, 02:39 PM
I know it does. Both teams and a lot of other teams do have guys that were signed but will be looked to move. Roger Mason could be one of them, for contract purposes.

Regardless, with the trade deadline a couple of months away, December 15th is typically the part of the season were teams become more active and start exploring more options.

Thats certainly true... I just thought maybe you thought there was some kind of trade moratorium or something based on your comment.

Hawkeye15
12-13-2010, 02:39 PM
I Mayo could be a good defender on the right team. But I don't think the Knicks are that team. If he was on BOS, for example, I think he would be a good defender because of the culture.

I honestly think that could be said of 75% of the players in the NBA though.

daleja424
12-13-2010, 02:41 PM

ya... just like I cant imagine Melo becoming a better defender in NY. That is just not the culture. More hen likely they are going to have to give up a couple gritty guys who do play some defense and hustle to get guys like mayo or Melo...

sounds to me like the Knicks may be better the way they are right now...

Not sur how you can mix up a team that has won like 9 games in a row and start the gelling process all over again...

seems silly to me.

td0tsfinest
12-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Thats certainly true... I just thought maybe you thought there was some kind of trade moratorium or something based on your comment.

I understand. Looking back at my comment it does look that way. :p

daleja424
12-13-2010, 03:03 PM
I understand. Looking back at my comment it does look that way. :p

:D

(some people on this board are pretty oblivious to a lot of CBA stuff, so I generally operate under the assumption that people dont know what they are talking about and I try to point out the things I understand about the CBA)

thats why there was confusion there... :up:

fresh prince
12-13-2010, 05:31 PM

Mayo can also create his own shot off the dribble alot better than Gordon ever has. I really dont see any similarities between the 2 aside from the fact they are both undersized SG's who can hit the 3 ball. They have put up similiar #'s in their careers as... 18 3 and 3 type guys but they arrive there in different ways.

Hawkeye15
12-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Mayo can also create his own shot off the dribble alot better than Gordon ever has. I really dont see any similarities between the 2 aside from the fact they are both undersized SG's who can hit the 3 ball. They have put up similiar #'s in their careers as... 18 3 and 3 type guys but they arrive there in different ways.

Mayo is assisted on more of his shots than Ben is. And if Mayo is such a creator, why does he have one of the most pathetic foul draw rates in the NBA?
The similarities are pretty much there man

ewing
12-13-2010, 05:46 PM
I'll admit I haven't watch many Griz games lately but I had the impression since he came out that OJ was a decent one on one defender. It seems this is not the prevailing opinion. Can someone elaborate on OJ defensive game for me?

fresh prince
12-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Mayo is assisted on more of his shots than Ben is. And if Mayo is such a creator, why does he have one of the most pathetic foul draw rates in the NBA?
The similarities are pretty much there man

I've never thought being a creator would have a direct correlation to FOul draw rates but you could be onto something. IMO learning to draw fouls in itself is a skill set in the NBA. The way I see it Mayo could be use to initiate the offense at times like a Kobe, Tyreke , Lebron etc and create shots for others. He has that in his game.

My biggest difference for Mayo/ Gordon is Mayo can break dudes down off the dribble and although undersized he has the strength/athleticsm to create seperation and finish in traffic or rise up for a mid range J. Ben Gordon doesnt really have that in his game . The fact that in Memhpis for whatever reason Mayo is not doing this more is a laqrge part of why he has struggled. They are using him primarily as a spot up shooter. WHICH LIMITS HIS GAME imo.

jmoney85
12-13-2010, 06:14 PM
travis outlaw + 1st round pick for OJ... get it done billy king

Hawkeye15
12-13-2010, 06:20 PM
I've never thought being a creator would have a direct correlation to FOul draw rates but you could be onto something. IMO learning to draw fouls in itself is a skill set in the NBA. The way I see it Mayo could be use to initiate the offense at times like a Kobe, Tyreke , Lebron etc and create shots for others. He has that in his game.

My biggest difference for Mayo/ Gordon is Mayo can break dudes down off the dribble and although undersized he has the strength/athleticsm to create seperation and finish in traffic or rise up for a mid range J. Ben Gordon doesnt really have that in his game . The fact that in Memhpis for whatever reason Mayo is not doing this more is a laqrge part of why he has struggled. They are using him primarily as a spot up shooter. WHICH LIMITS HIS GAME imo.

well, I am not stating a creator MUST get fouled, Rose is below average at getting to the line. Mayo may be capable of creating, but he doesn't. That is the problem. And I can't buy into the "they aren't using him right" in Mayo's case. I have watched some Memphis games, and he literally refuses to drive.
I think you are selling Gordon short. He created fine in Chicago. Detroit isn't using him like that.

Kashmir13579
12-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Gordon completely took over in the 7 game series with boston a few years back. he was a stud at connecticut... always was a CUSE killer. i have a lot of respect for his game..

masalex1205
12-13-2010, 06:43 PM
I don't see the Mayo/Gordon comparisons. Mayo is a good defender imo and people are making too much out of his height...the guy is strong as an ox and he really bodies up whoever he's guarding.

fresh prince
12-13-2010, 07:04 PM
I don't see the Mayo/Gordon comparisons. Mayo is a good defender imo and people are making too much out of his height...the guy is strong as an ox and he really bodies up whoever he's guarding.

Yea this is what I was saying MAyo is a strong dude he needs to utlize his complete skill set more..

What I also find interesting is how much the SG postion has changed. 20 years ago guys like Byron Scott, Joe Dumars, Hersey Hawkins, Jeff Hornaceck, Jeff Malone, etc. were the normal standard for SG's. These Guys were all like 6'3 - 6'4 and under or around 200 pounds.

Now a days like MAyo/ BG they would all be considered under sized combo guards. Really interesting change.

29$JerZ
12-13-2010, 07:08 PM
ya... just like I cant imagine Melo becoming a better defender in NY. That is just not the culture. More hen likely they are going to have to give up a couple gritty guys who do play some defense and hustle to get guys like mayo or Melo...

sounds to me like the Knicks may be better the way they are right now...

Not sur how you can mix up a team that has won like 9 games in a row and start the gelling process all over again...

seems silly to me.

The best thing NY can do is just wait for Melo in the summer.
If Donnie could trade Ronny's cheap contract we could potentially retain Wilson or even trade for Mayo. It's nice to have these options.

Crackadalic
12-13-2010, 07:10 PM
This was posted in the knicks forum but i think mayo should be sent to denver for the melo deal.
Knicks get Melo
Denver gets Chandler or Gallo,Mayo,Eddy expiring, Anthony Randolph, Grizz 1st round pick
Grizz gets Toney Douglas kelenna azubuike(80% of his contract paid for because of the injury)

_Supreme_
12-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Why would Memphis want to trade Mayo and a first round pick for Douglas and injured Azubuike.

That part of it makes 0 sense.

But hey, we are talking about a franchise that sold Pau Gasol under the table, so who knows.

NYK_kidd77
12-13-2010, 07:25 PM
If he is going to be traded then I think the Nets should make a play for Mayo.

TO to the CHI
12-13-2010, 07:41 PM
really as of right now he wants there. and thats a lot of talent there getting and salary relif. Dont worry he will b a knick either way

I tend to agree that he will be a Knick. But I don't think the leverage is that cut and dry. If the Nuggets don't like what they are getting back (i.e. if it is the equivalent of nothing to them), then they might just decide to let his deal expire and play hard ball in the summer. Melo claims that he wants to go to NY, but the CBA and the possibility of not getting true max dollars (depending on the CBA) could throw a real wrinkle into the situation. I think Melo ends up in NY and during this season. But I think the offer won't be as lopsided as many Knicks fan believe.

I also think that an offense with Felton, Melo and Stat and coached by Mike D will be fun to watch. D not as good though.

lilojmayo
12-13-2010, 08:02 PM

The only fans who ever try to compare OJ Mayo to Ben Gordon are the fans who simply don't like his game for whatever reason, therefore don't watch him a lot or may just be stats comparing. You never hear a true Mayo fan that actually watches his games say this.

OJ Mayo is strong, but I wouldn't say as strong as an ox. He is a solid 6'4 and 210lbs. That does allow him to be able to body people up, but this isn't the 80's anymore if Mayo puts a hand on a defender they immediately call a hand checking foul. This is some Joe Dumars made a liven off of while guarding Michael Jordan. Therefore since Mayo isn't allowed to body up a lot of the taller SGs 6'6+ can literally rise over him easily, like Kobe, Joe Johnson, Stephen Jackson. That doesn't make OJ a bad defender. Mayo is a solid defender, that with leaner defensive rules could become a borderline 3rd team all NBA defense team during his prime.

In terms of skillset I am not talking potental, stats, ceiling ( although Mayo's is high). On just a skillset, if you took Brandon Roy's skillset and Ray Allen's skillset and fused it together to make one skillset O.J. Mayo skillset would come out.

OJ isn't the shooter Ray is, but Mayo can shoot the ball very well. He is also a better natural player maker than Ray, while is better off the ball. Mayo excels in the pick and roll situation and picks his spots when he wants to attack on the floor like Brandon Roy.

Mayo is going to be scary if a coach ever uses him the right way.

Crackadalic
12-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Why would Memphis want to trade Mayo and a first round pick for Douglas and injured Azubuike.

That part of it makes 0 sense.

But hey, we are talking about a franchise that sold Pau Gasol under the table, so who knows.

Because they need money to lock up gasol and zach is a question mark. Mayo is not playing well at all and lost his starting spot to a rookie. His value right now is lower then his potential so they should get what they can from him. I also meant 2nd round pick pick in my earlier post

JB0B0
12-13-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm pretty sure Memphis will want cheap, short-term contracts and draft picks for Mayo.

kingkenny01
12-13-2010, 09:32 PM
im calling it on december 15 the bucks make this trade