PDA

View Full Version : NBA, something should be done about the huge gap in talent btw the teams !!

Madness23
12-11-2010, 12:47 PM
i mean, take a look at the standings, there are 10 good to great teams and there is the rest !! in the east, the Bucks are in a playoff spot while playing 40% basketball :facepalm: something should be made about the huge gap in talent btw the teams !! Megamind Stern should make sure he reduces the gap btw the top teams and the rest !! discuss

nygiants242
12-11-2010, 12:48 PM
It is a bit crazy that the 8th spot in the East will be one of Charlotte, Milwaukee, Indiana, Philadelphia, etc. I doubt any of those teams finish over .500.. and they will still make the playoffs. Either way, a lot of the first round matchups in the East will be washes anyway.

tredigs
12-11-2010, 12:56 PM
i mean, take a look at the standings, there are 10 good to great teams and there is the rest !! in the east, the Bucks are in a playoff spot while playing 40% basketball :facepalm: something should be made about the huge gap in talent btw the teams and the league should make sure it reduces the gap btw the top teams and the rest !! discuss

^Commie ; ]

In all honesty, they already have a soft + hard cap and there is a distribution of wealth/talent in a variety of means (worst teams get the best chance at the #1 pick, Jersey sales are spread out through the entire league, etc).

Not all of the great teams are from major markets (ex: San Antonio is a perennial contender, while NY has never known what that's like). Great organizations know how to build well, and are willing to spend on the top talent. Then there's the fact that top players just prefer playing in certain cities, so what can you do about that? MAKE them sign lifetime agreements to whatever city they're essentially forced to play for initially? That'd be ridiculous.

Having ~10 good to great teams is plenty. That's a third of the league. And another 6 still get to make the playoffs and give it their best shot (which is plenty).

Do you actually have any contributive ideas to make, or are you just planning on hating the NBA's current course without any sound solutions of your own?

Geargo Wallace
12-11-2010, 01:00 PM
i mean, take a look at the standings, there are 10 good to great teams and there is the rest !! in the east, the Bucks are in a playoff spot while playing 40% basketball :facepalm: something should be made about the huge gap in talent btw the teams !! Megamind Stern should make sure he reduces the gap btw the top teams and the rest !! discuss

Easy there Karl Marx :)

Madness23
12-11-2010, 01:03 PM
^Commie ; ]

In all honesty, they already have a soft + hard cap and there is a distribution of wealth/talent in a variety of means (worst teams get the best chance at the #1 pick, Jersey sales are spread out through the entire league, etc).

Not all of the great teams are from major markets (ex: San Antonio is a perennial contender, while NY has never known what that's like). Great organizations know how to build well, and are willing to spend on the top talent. Then there's the fact that top players just prefer playing in certain cities, so what can you do about that? MAKE them sign lifetime agreements to whatever city they're essentially forced to play for initially? That'd be ridiculous.

Having ~10 good to great teams is plenty. That's a third of the league. And another 6 still get to make the playoffs and give it their best shot (which is plenty).

Do you actually have any contributive ideas to make, or are you just planning on hating the NBA's current course without any sound solutions of your own?

well i have an idea but i'm quite convinced it will never be accepted !! the league should adopt a rule that allow teams to only sign players for a max 5 year contracts, then it should adopt the same rule as the NHL=bury bad contracts in the minors (D-league) those contracts wont count against the cap, i mean why a team like the wizs would play arenas ? send him to he D-league and let him rot there (still get paid though)

JayW_1023
12-11-2010, 01:06 PM
the biggest joke is how the Spurs are 19-3 and still not getting the credit they deserve.

THE GIPPER
12-11-2010, 01:12 PM
^^ hahaha a little off topic but ok.

but actually i agree with the guy who mentioned the nhl. as far as teams being really close and competative the nhl is the best cuz really any team in the nhl has a shot at a championship whitch isnt true in the nba/

newenglandking
12-11-2010, 01:13 PM
blame that gap on expansion , enjoy sterns watered down drink. Ping pong balls should never tell a teams future unless your playing beer pong.

Vincent33
12-11-2010, 01:15 PM
It is what it is. Come playoff time, the likes of an Indiana, Charlotte, whoever gets the 7 and 8 seed in the east will be bounced out quick. The 7 game series in the first round have pretty much squashed chances for the 34-40 win "playoff" teams to do anything anyways.

tredigs
12-11-2010, 01:16 PM
well i have an idea but i'm quite convinced it will never be accepted !! the league should adopt a rule that allow teams to only sign players for a max 5 year contracts, then it should adopt the same rule as the NHL=bury bad contracts in the minors (D-league) those contracts wont count against the cap, i mean why a team like the wizs would play arenas ? send him to he D-league and let him rot there (still get paid though)

Interesting. In theory this would help the top-billionaire owners much more so than the other guys, though. Basically there's less accountability for them to make smart signings if they can just dump them to the D-League and free up there cap space again. There are already injury cap-exceptions to teams for guys that go down for a long stretch of time (we saw this most recently earlier this week when the Blazers and Heat were given cap exceptions equal to half of Oden and Haslem's contracts), so at least they're safe on that facet.

I'll agree on the 5 year max, because there just isn't enough accountability on the players if they aren't holding their own on a contract. But, unfortunately the players union never would. That's a very Republican/Conservative take by you, by the way And it's one that I agree with, because I'm big on accountability for these dudes; if they were to let themselves get fat or just generally stop working to improve their game, they definitely shouldn't still be allowed to rake in their ~15 million guaranteed per season. Funny/interesting that you have both that idea, along with the more "communist" ideals in your original post.

PS: PSD needs to get rid of these automatic-starting video ads. Pissing me off =/

Geargo Wallace
12-11-2010, 01:20 PM
blame that gap on expansion , enjoy sterns watered down drink. Ping pong balls should never tell a teams future unless your playing beer pong.

and even then you can blow or finger the ball out of the cup. A warped table can make bouncing almost useless, or a bad shot turn into a good one. geeeesh
I though beer pong was an exact science :cool:

Madness23
12-11-2010, 01:20 PM
It is what it is. Come playoff time, the likes of an Indiana, Charlotte, whoever gets the 7 and 8 seed in the east will be bounced out quick. The 7 game series in the first round have pretty much squashed chances for the 34-40 win "playoff" teams to do anything anyways.

True. but those teams might want more than just playoff appearance, i mean whats the last cinderella story that did happen in the NBA ? i can't even remember

Geargo Wallace
12-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Interesting. In theory this would help the top-billionaire owners much more so than the other guys, though. Basically there's less accountability for them to make smart signings if they can just dump them to the D-League and free up there cap space again. There are already injury cap-exceptions to teams for guys that go down for a long stretch of time (we saw this most recently earlier this week when the Blazers and Heat were given cap exceptions equal to half of Oden and Haslem's contracts), so at least they're safe on that facet.

I'll agree on the 5 year max, because there just isn't enough accountability on the players if they aren't holding their own on a contract. But, unfortunately the players union never would. That's a very Republican/Conservative take by you, by the way And it's one that I agree with, because I'm big on accountability for these dudes; if they were to let themselves get fat or just generally stop working to improve their game, they definitely shouldn't still be allowed to rake in their ~15 million guaranteed per season. Funny/interesting that you have both that idea, along with the more "communist" ideals in your original post.

PS: PSD needs to get rid of these automatic-starting video ads. Pissing me off =/

also what works for the NHL may not work for the NBA.
buddy's idea would create a lot of pissed off dudes. The NBA could stand to lose a lot of disgruntled players to Europe. These guys want playing time and to be loved just as much as they want the $$$$$$$$.

Madness23
12-11-2010, 01:26 PM
buddy's idea would create a lot of pissed off dudes. The NBA could stand to lose a lot of disgruntled players to Europe. These guys want playing time and to be loved just as much as they want the $$$$$$$$.

well if im the wiz for example, i would drive arenas to the airport to play in europe as long as he breaks his contract !! dream land i know :D

tredigs
12-11-2010, 01:26 PM

Yeah, fair enough point. But I still think that most players (especially being that most are black dudes from America) would rather stay in America and play in the NBA rather than play for a lesser league in Europe just because it offered them more guaranteed playing time. The spotlight would still be shone MUCH brighter on the NBA (even though some players would definitely book shop for the Spanish League), and I could see the argument that it would actually motivate them to work harder, and probably create a better NBA product as a result.

That said, the players union is strong, and there would be a lengthy strike by them before anything like this would be able to be set up.

netsgiantsyanks
12-11-2010, 01:27 PM
the biggest joke is how the Spurs are 19-3 and still not getting the credit they deserve.

that actually is funny. 'muttley laughter'

lol

NBAkYD
12-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Stern could try to reduce the number of playoff teams, but that would likely necessitate bye weeks and that could be bad. Implementing a hard cap instead of the current "cap" would also help and could lead to talent being spread more evenly.

MacFitz92
12-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Easy there Karl Marx :)

Amen.

Cubsfan365
12-11-2010, 01:39 PM
How is the Bucks being in the playoffs with a bad record in the NBA any different than the winner of the NFC West making the playoffs in the NFL??

Kenny
12-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Well looking at it positively I guess you can say every team in the east is in the race so the attendence should be pretty good.

Madness23
12-11-2010, 01:42 PM
How is the Bucks being in the playoffs with a bad record in the NBA any different than the winner of the NFC West making the playoffs in the NFL??

well its an NBA forum, wanna make another thread about the NFL, do it :D

topdog
12-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Say what you want, but the actual games being played aren't so disparate as the standings.

Minnesota had double digit leads heading into the Q4 twice against San Antonio (the West's best team) before failing to close it out. In a playoff series, who knows what an 8 seed can do?

papirico52
12-11-2010, 01:45 PM

They are THE most boring team in the NBA

Madness23
12-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Say what you want, but the actual games being played aren't so disparate as the standings.

Minnesota had double digit leads heading into the Q4 twice against San Antonio (the West's best team) before failing to close it out. In a playoff series, who knows what an 8 seed can do?

ok wanna talk about the playoffs !! lets see, a 7 games series is another hurdle for 7th & 8th seed, if you want to make it more interesting, lets play a 5 game series till the conferences finals !!! and the fifth game (if any) should be played on a neutral arena

Lakerfrk
12-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Boy.. this is all kinds of communism..

Cubsfan365
12-11-2010, 01:49 PM
What do you expect from a team whose colors are black, white, and gray?

Madness23
12-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Boy.. this is all kinds of communism..

what communism ? sorry but i want to see something less boring, i live in Europe and now no one gives a **** about the NBA because 90% of fans don't follow teams who win all the time !!! i would like to see David win for once against goliath (i mean for a title game not for a meaningless regular season)

JayW_1023
12-11-2010, 02:02 PM

The boring argument is a long beaten dead horse. Personally I think there are maybe two or three players who are more fun to watch than Manu, if any.

Giraffes Rule
12-11-2010, 02:02 PM

That's not true anymore, but feel free to keep believing that.

Madness23
12-11-2010, 02:07 PM
any suggestions guys to fix this thing ?

Lakerfrk
12-11-2010, 02:14 PM
what communism ? sorry but i want to see something less boring, i live in Europe and now no one gives a **** about the NBA because 90% of fans don't follow teams who win all the time !!! i would like to see David win for once against goliath (i mean for a title game not for a meaningless regular season)

You are proposing that the commissioner creates a rule or something that makes the rich get poorer, and the poor get richer, so that everyone is always equal....

That eliminates dynasty, parody, upsets, excitement...

this is EXACTLY communism.

shep33
12-11-2010, 02:17 PM

Yeah, Spurs are solid, if they stay healthy they are gonna be tough to beat. But I do have to say that the Lakers match up with them pretty nice at each position. That'll be a sweet series if both teams are healthy.

cardinals1226
12-11-2010, 02:21 PM

Why? Because they decide to play defense? Wow, you're right, the Spurs are boring. :rolleyes:

knickerbockerny
12-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Three reasons the NBA has became very top heavy the last couple of years.

1) is the length of the guaranteed contracts. The Gilbert Arenas contract will keep Washington away from the playoffs for a couple of seasons, just like Curry's did for NY.

2) Players taking less money to form super teams/lopsided trades. Ron Artest, Odom, Lebron, Wade, Bosh, etc. took less than their marketed values to play where they currently are. Boston and the Lakers getting away like bandates for the KG and Gasol trades. Irony is the T-Wolves and Grizz haven't been to the playoffs since those trades.

3) The draft lottery system. I believe the order should be determined based on standings, but that may hurt the integrity of the game. Truth be told I don't know how to fix it.

ink
12-11-2010, 02:29 PM

Agreed but it's always been that way and always will be that way with the Spurs. Luckily lack of appreciation hasn't stopped them from being the team of the last 15 years.

cardinals1226
12-11-2010, 02:31 PM
This idea has no chance happening, but I think it would help make the NBA more appealing to all fans.

Currently, there are 30 teams in the NBA. I would cut three teams from each conference, making 4 teams per division instead of 5, have a total of 24 teams. That way, the NBA cuts expenses, talent isn't spread as thin, and teams have a legitimate shot of competing every year. It would help bring in new fans when three-fourths of the league is watchable instead of maybe a quarter of the league.

Possibly contraction victims: Nets, Cavs, Wizards, Timberwolves, Clippers, Grizzlies

ink
12-11-2010, 02:33 PM
You are proposing that the commissioner creates a rule or something that makes the rich get poorer, and the poor get richer, so that everyone is always equal....

That eliminates dynasty, parody, upsets, excitement...

this is EXACTLY communism.

The word is PARITY. Parody is when you make fun of something. lol.

And no, it is not "exactly" communism either. I don't remember communism ever being defined as the elimination of "dynasty, parody (sic), upsets, excitement..." Besides you're contradicting yourself. You're saying parity is a good thing and yet you're saying that an idea that improves parity is a bad thing.

Other pro leagues use the ideas he's suggesting and they're the farthest thing away from communism. Communism does not equal anything not free enterprise. It's a LEAGUE ... i.e. a chain enterprise all under the same guidance. That's why they call the teams "franchises". They structure their own rules for the benefit of all teams because that's what they are in business for. The individual teams are not competing financially. You have your models mixed up.

newenglandking
12-11-2010, 02:42 PM
beer pong lottery thats how you fix it .Vin baker missed his calling

JasonJohnHorn
12-11-2010, 02:55 PM
The East has been like that for the last ten years.
There are some great teams out there that arent winning. The Pacers and the 76ers for example both have a lot of talent on their teams, as does Memphis. these teams, imo, talentwise can compete with anybody in a 7game series, but either coaching, or injuries, or the fact that all-stars take pay-cuts to play with contenders is making it hard for these teams to post decent records.

The Lakers arent even at a 100% (Bynum still on the shelf) and they STILL look like the best team in the nba. Spurs, Mavs, Celts, these teams are great, and the Bulls, Heat and Thunder have some real potential, as does Utah and Portland.

There isnt much stern can do himself outside of retraction of the league, and I dont think anybody wants to do that

when the CBA comes up, i believe there will be some cap rules that make it harder for teams to circumvent the cap, but nobody is going to agree to a hard cap

godolphins
12-11-2010, 03:01 PM
What is Stern suppose to do? Only allow one good player on each team :confused:

Bigbadmoffo
12-11-2010, 03:02 PM
^Commie ; ]

What's the point of the pick if he leaves as soon as he develops. The nba needs to make it so teams have a better chance of keeping a draft pick long term. Other sports are able to retain young players but in the nba they just go to the best team or biggest market as sooon as possible.

ldawg
12-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Yeah the nba has became boring. This will be the last year i purchase the nba Pass. Many nights i choose to watch something else and just watch espn in the morning because the games a predictable. The match ups lack competition the biggest reasons i hated Lebron joining D Wade is that it put the Second and Third best players on the same team that also has similar skills. In two years Heat will dominate the nba as Spurs, Lakers and Boston Aged. Thunder may rise but thats it.
How to fix the NBA, i don't know. But they can start with stop marketing one player, stop the star call B.S. and stop fixing games. What i think would help the most is hard to do. Long contracts should max at 4 years. Once a player get injured allow the team to replace him without penalty.

Madness23
12-11-2010, 03:43 PM
got a new idea her, again from the NHL !! what about selecting a player through the draft & not playing him automatically, i mean why the hell there is a D-league ? the league should develop that league & make sure teams put their rookies+young player+rehabing players+veterans (ala antoine walker) at least teams wont pay rookies 3+ mil to play 8 min a game !! after all its called D-league (D for development)
some guys talked about the problem of long term contracts, how the hell you want young teams to develop & get to the next stage if they cant sign a markee player just because he is signed for 5586315 year !! i mean look a baseball, guys are signed for 7/10 years, thats nuts !! the NBA is running head first into a wall (long contracts=same star players=same winning teams=same audience=same ratings=same boring games)

xabial
12-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Its the owners fault For making poor decisions, hiring bad GMs, Making bad trades,Drafting Poor Players.

East has always been like this. Heck We've sucked for the last Ten Years :shrug:

John Walls Era
12-11-2010, 03:59 PM

This guy is not joking. I was looking at the standings and I don't even remember the Spurs are 19-3. They don't even get talked about enough.

xabial
12-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Three reasons the NBA has became very top heavy the last couple of years.

1) is the length of the guaranteed contracts. The Gilbert Arenas contract will keep Washington away from the playoffs for a couple of seasons, just like Curry's did for NY.

2) Players taking less money to form super teams/lopsided trades. Ron Artest, Odom, Lebron, Wade, Bosh, etc. took less than their marketed values to play where they currently are. Boston and the Lakers getting away like bandates for the KG and Gasol trades. Irony is the T-Wolves and Grizz haven't been to the playoffs since those trades.

3) The draft lottery system. I believe the order should be determined based on standings, but that may hurt the integrity of the game. Truth be told I don't know how to fix it.

Completely Disagree. They used to have that in the NBA, but they took it away because Teams Tanked to try to get a High Draft Pick. I love this current system. Sure Teams get ***** sometimes and other teams get lucky, but thats the way it should work.

Imagine if LBJ were to declare for the Draft right Now. Guarantee you most Teams out of playoff contention now, would try to be like the 09' Nets.

knickerbockerny
12-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Completely Disagree. They used to have that in the NBA, but they took it away because Teams Tanked to try to get a High Draft Pick. I love this current system. Sure Teams get ***** sometimes and other teams get lucky, but thats the way it should work.

Imagine if LBJ were to declare for the Draft right Now. Guarantee you most Teams out of playoff contention now, would try to be like the 09' Nets.

Yea I agree

topdog
12-11-2010, 05:04 PM
The biggest thing I think that needs to be done is giving small-market teams an easier way to keep their players. Something akin to arbitration in baseball where they can pay fair value vs. having to give up their players because another team offers more.

Other than that, there is going to be some turn around in a few years as young teams grow up and older teams head toward the nursing home. Nets used to be a contender, and the Celtics had the Boston Teen Party. Where are they now? Right.

JabberJaw
12-11-2010, 05:31 PM
This topic should be addressed towards baseball, not basketball. Atleast basketball has a cap. Baseball is basically whoever can afford to the most will get the prize. Look at this year with the Yankees and Boston. It's nausiating what baseball has become. The fact that the Yankees are making a bid to Lee, and if they get him they would have the two highest priced pitchers in the game, A-Rods, Jeter's, Texiera and all of those other ridiculously large contracts. In basketball this couldnt happen. Everyone has the same cap and the same ability to create a team. There's always going to be destinations that are more attractive, so naturally they are going to garner a bit more interest. But the balance of the league, for the most part, is pretty good. The East is getting stronger, and the West has gotten a bit weaker. At the top half of each conference there are contenders. Lakers, Spurs, Mavericks, Utah and possibly the Thunder and Nuggets are all contenders in the West. The Celtics, Heat, Bulls and Magic could give any team in the league a run for its money. Its not as lopsided as TS makes it seem. The NBA has it way more under control that baseball and even football (with all these ridiculous rookie contracts being bigger than experienced pro-bowlers).
No sport is going to get it 100% right, but the NBA has it pretty well setup

The Senator
12-11-2010, 06:54 PM
I think the NBA would be crazy to try to mimic the NHL. The last thing we need is to have a league where nobody can maintain a strong team year after year without having to gut the franchise to maintain compliance with a cap. The way it is now, the NBA has the best constructed cap system in pro sports, far as I'm concerned. You can't just stockpile expensive talent(to an extent), but you can still create dynasties. If there's any single way I'd prefer to level things out, it'd be to have less teams, thus, having a higher level of talent on every existing crew.

True parity may be nice for small market teams, but it's not good for the league as a whole. It sounds great in principle, but I find it much less interesting when each team has an equal chance to win. There's no upsets if there's no underdog.