PDA

View Full Version : Kobe's Prime vs His Peers

Tony_Starks
12-10-2010, 04:04 PM
If you look at how long he's been at the top of his game vs his peers such as Vince, AI, TMac, Ray Allen... etc, its pretty amazing to really see what Kobe is doing. At one point in time some actually argued that some of those guys were better than Kobe! Now years later most are on their last leg and others while still quite serviceable are no where near Kobe's level of productiveness.

Pretty great when you really look at it. Im sure some would argue well those other guys carried their teams longer than Kobe but I would counter that Kobe has had way more years of going very deep in the playoffs and more wear and tear on his legs........

koreancabbage
12-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Kobe in his prime = 81 points. nuff said.

ManRam
12-10-2010, 04:16 PM
:worthy: Kobe

Raph12
12-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Well he came out of highschool, so I'd think his prime would last longer, sort of like the same thing with Lebron vs Wade; LBJ is a few years younger, so he'll likely last longer as well.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Sometimes I wish I didn't hate Kobe.

jkcronyn
12-10-2010, 04:25 PM
nah dude the high school argument is a horrible argument... look at the others who did it... tmac, garnett... both of them played too many minutes and are way less effective... kobe who probably played just as much as both of them for as many years is still great and thats where you really have to be impressed

albertc86
12-10-2010, 04:26 PM
The Kobe haters won't appreciate him until he's gone. Kobe is an incredible talent that doesn't come around too often. The same people that hate Kobe would probably hate Jordan if he played today because he was a cocky mofo. But I was thinking of this not too long ago. Players become irrelevant real quick and Kobe is still up there.

n83417
12-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Neat

Tony_Starks
12-10-2010, 04:30 PM
I know it has to burn Ray Allen up in particular that Kobe is not only still the man but that he got the last ring at his expense. They always had that same draft rivalry thing going but Ray is getting worse and Kobe is getting better.

macc
12-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Kobe is a player that has always worked hard his entire career. Kobe is really Jordanesk in that sense. When Jordan lost most of his athletism he still found ways to dominate and adjusted his game to do so. Same with Kobe.

I agree with the above poster who said he would be appreciated till he's gone. That's the truth. Same goes for Lebron now. People keep focusing on bashing the guy they forget how special of a talent he really is.

Good for Kobe. I see Kobe dominating until he retires. I don't see him having much of a drop off at all.

macc
12-10-2010, 04:33 PM
I know it has to burn Ray Allen up in particular that Kobe is not only still the man but that he got the last ring at his expense. They always had that same draft rivalry thing going but Ray is getting worse and Kobe is getting better.

There would be a pretty good debate on the other side of that. Ray Allen is still a stud. Ray Ray can still light it up for 20+ points any given night. On the team now he just doesn't need to due to 5-7 other guys who also can score 20+ any given night.

Tony_Starks
12-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Yeah I guess thats true. What I mean by "worse" is that he also has games now where's he's totally ineffective, no impact on the game. Kobe on his worst shooting night is still going to have a pretty big impact in other ways....

barreleffact
12-10-2010, 04:47 PM
T me, role has a lot to do with it. We all saw what happened to AI when his role was reduced. Will kobe ever allow a reduyction to his role to see if his efficiency spikes the way pierce or allens has?(of course personnel must be taken into account, but switch kobe with ray or pierce, does that team improve?)

icej
12-11-2010, 03:40 AM
Well putting it with the threads context if compared to his peers, Tmac and company - Its evident that kobe is miles away in achievements compared to them.

But fans should also put in consideration that Kobe is also very lucky that he end up as a Los Angeles Lakers not a 76ers or Bulls(no pun intended to other teams), But no one can deny the LA franchise ability to get great players to compete for them year after year and they got the means too.

I mean if Tmac or Ai would have been in LA with shaq and not kobe, it would have been Tmac or Ai having couple of rings now, and who knows if shaq would have left LA.

So yes I do think too that Kobe has bested his peers comparing their achievements throughout their career but not to take away anything from Ai or Tmac coz they also made their mark in the NBA as scoring champs during kobes time.

JordansBulls
12-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Yes it is obvious Kobe is better than these guys career wise. Only case these guys ever had was 1-2 years. Like Iverson 2001, Tmac 2003, Vince 2002, etc.

AIRMAR72
12-13-2010, 09:03 AM
well kobe has benifit from playing for topnotch franches took him 11 season to get MVP even though bron or cp3 shouldve gotten it that year but i guess da league felt sorry for kobe and gave to him bron wouldve had back to back MVP