PDA

View Full Version : Which NBA Finals matchup would garner the biggest ratings?

kArSoN RyDaH
12-10-2010, 02:18 AM
simple question.

_KB24_
12-10-2010, 02:19 AM
Lakers vs the Attention Whor.....I mean Heat :)

TopsyTurvy
12-10-2010, 02:27 AM
NY and anyone else... Give the mecca a reason get out. watch some games, and get out of the way. The Knicks would pull more views than any team in the league right now.

knicks_champ
12-10-2010, 02:31 AM
I think any of this would be big

Knicks Vs Lakers
Heats Vs Lakers

I think the Celtics Vs Lakers is getting pretty old for people.

Mochalman
12-10-2010, 02:33 AM
spurs v boston

ya

49erGiantLaker
Lakers Vs Celtics

SteveNash
Heat vs Rapi... I mean Lakers.

redsox0717
Lakers vs. Heat

Not going to happen, but it would draw the most ratings. Lakers vs. Celtics probably second.

Gootie42
12-10-2010, 02:35 AM
lakers vs lakers---I think Stern said that once.

In reality, Lakers v Heat

dikimbemutumbo
12-10-2010, 02:36 AM
Bulls vs. Jazz. The PG matchup plus old Jordan team finals., and the fact that half the Bulls used to play for the Jazz, and Jerry Sloan, former bull, hard nosed defensive coach vs. Thibedeau, hard nosed defensive coach.
Also, Bulls vs. Celtics in the ECF would be ridiculous, Thibedeau vs. Old team, Doc Rivers, the Chicago native, and anyone who watched the series a few years ago understands what I am saying, but heat or magic vs celtics would be great as well.
Bulls vs. Thunder. PG matchup, Durant, and two of the young up and coming teams.
Now that i am done being a homer,
LAL vs. Celtics is what I want to see, but watching Kobe make LeBron his *****, and cry on Wades shoulder while Wade gives Kobe the stink eye, and seeing Gasol, the white ostrich make Bosh his ***** would be awesome.

D Roses Bulls
12-10-2010, 02:36 AM
Lakers vs. Bulls....... two of the most popular teams since 1980. I actually read not too long ago that the bulls and lakers are 1 and 2 in the whole world when it comes to popularity of NBA teams. so that settles it right there.

Oh and let me make this clear, I don't think the Bulls will make the finals for the little kids out there that are gonna say that I believe the Bulls will make the finals.

jdmd3
12-10-2010, 02:38 AM
Lakers vs Heat without a doubt.

GSwarriors4LIFE
12-10-2010, 02:39 AM
Easy, T-wolves VS Cavs.

Lakersfan2483
12-10-2010, 03:00 AM
Lakers vs Miami followed by Lakers vs Celtics.

Baller1
12-10-2010, 03:13 AM
1. Lakers/Heat (LeBron vs. Kobe; simple)
2. Lakers/Celtics (Best rivalry of all-time)
3. Lakers/Knicks (Obviously unlikely, but would bring in money nonetheless)
4. Rockets/Insert Team (If Yao were to ever make it to the finals, the worldwide attention would be unmatched)
5. OKC/Bulls (Durant, Rose, Westbrook, Boozer, Ibaka, Noah; this series would just be a high octane fast paced matchup to watch)

No disrespect to the Magic who deserve some credit because Howard would definitely bring some ratings in, but I think the five matchups I mentioned would just be more appealing to the fans.

Raph12
12-10-2010, 03:21 AM
LA vs Boston >>>>> Anything else

bklynny67
12-10-2010, 03:23 AM
any of these

Knicks vs Lakers
Bulls vs Lakers
Heat vs Lakers

Time2Dieeee
12-10-2010, 03:34 AM
clippers vs bobcats

Red222
12-10-2010, 03:36 AM
any of these

Knicks vs Lakers
Bulls vs Lakers
Heat vs Lakers:clap:

Chacarron
12-10-2010, 03:37 AM
One thing for sure, it has to include the Lakers.

bklynny67
12-10-2010, 03:49 AM
1. Lakers/Heat (LeBron vs. Kobe; simple)
2. Lakers/Celtics (Best rivalry of all-time)
3. Lakers/Knicks (Obviously unlikely, but would bring in money nonetheless)
4. Rockets/Insert Team (If Yao were to ever make it to the finals, the worldwide attention would be unmatched)
5. OKC/Bulls (Durant, Rose, Westbrook, Boozer, Ibaka, Noah; this series would just be a high octane fast paced matchup to watch)

No disrespect to the Magic who deserve some credit because Howard would definitely bring some ratings in, but I think the five matchups I mentioned would just be more appealing to the fans.

come on homer!!! OKC are u kidding me? and u think the country would be excited to see Ibaka? Haha

Baller1
12-10-2010, 03:52 AM
come on homer!!! OKC are u kidding me?

That's all bias aside. If you don't think people want to watch Durant, Westbrook, Rose, and Noah go at it, you're delusional.

During the off-season, OKC was getting the some of the most unprecedented hype we've ever seen in this league. People like Kevin Durant. People like to watch Westbrook play. People like fast paced, athletic basketball. That's OKC Thunder basketball in a nutshell. This thread is simply about ratings; an OKC vs. Chicago series would bring that.

theLgndKllr35
12-10-2010, 04:09 AM
That's all bias aside. If you don't think people want to watch Durant, Westbrook, Rose, and Noah go at it, you're delusional.

During the off-season, OKC was getting the some of the most unprecedented hype we've ever seen in this league. People like Kevin Durant. People like to watch Westbrook play. People like fast paced, athletic basketball. That's OKC Thunder basketball in a nutshell. This thread is simply about ratings; an OKC vs. Chicago series would bring that.

People like the young underdog. Hell I normally don't like to follow basketball cause the Sixers are irrelavent, but I still watched the Thunder Lakers series last year because for the underdog factor, and them actually having a shot.

Baller1
12-10-2010, 04:12 AM
People like the young underdog. Hell I normally don't like to follow basketball cause the Sixers are irrelavent, but I still watched the Thunder Lakers series last year because for the underdog factor, and them actually having a shot.

Yeah, that was kinda my thinking behind it. And add in the fact that the Bulls are relatively similar from the East, it would make for a good series.

Tough loss tonight by the way. Iguodala looked like he was going to lead you guys to a win.

SteveNash
12-10-2010, 04:35 AM
please explain your "ratings that actually matter", because i for one, am quite confuzzled by your statement.

TV ratings are used by ad agencies to try to sell products. It doesn't matter if a television show is popular based on the number of viewers if their purchasing power is low. So an example, lets say the Bulls are extremely popular in India because of Hinduism. The extra 2 million viewers the Bulls would get would get in India wouldn't be as meaningful as 100,000 viewers the Knicks would get.

shep33
12-10-2010, 04:39 AM
Heat wont... it has nothing to do with how good they, if they're the best team it probably wouldn't happen. I think people overestimate the Lebron vs. Kobe thing... it's more about demographics. Biggest one would likely be

LA vs. New York---this would be huge, nothing would come close.
LA vs. Boston-pretty big last year
LA vs. Chicago

shep33
12-10-2010, 04:41 AM
If your looking for ratings/income generation... Lakers have to be involved out west.

Biggest would be LA vs. New York... I could imagine the entire state of New York watching every game of that series alone. Likely the most watched finals ever

beasted86
12-10-2010, 05:41 AM
Why are people playing games in this thread?

We all know you guys would watch the Heat vs. Lakers just to hope the Heat lose. Stop playing games. I'm not a homer, it's the truth. Right now this very second the Heat are the highest rated team in road attendance at 99.9%.

People watch right now and are obsessed with the Heat just hoping they lose.

millerandco
12-10-2010, 06:23 AM
lakers v heat

Spiderman 1nner
12-10-2010, 08:33 AM
theres a number of combinations that would generate huge ratings.

Knicks vs Lakers
Celtics Vs Lakers
Heat Vs Lakers
Knicks Vs Mavericks
Celtics Vs Mavericks
Heat Vs Mavericks

But as much as I don't wanna see this happen, I think Heat-Lakers would generate the most viewers. Anytime you have 3 of the top 5 players in the league in one game your boundd to get huge ratings and i'm pretty sure their game on christmas will prove that.

kingkenny01
12-10-2010, 08:34 AM
if the knicks went to the finals they would get blown out no one would want to see that

SteBO
12-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Whoever says Lakers vs Heat wouldn't generate good ratings are lying haters

DrJamesNaismith
12-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Heat vs. Cavs

ShakeN'Bake
12-10-2010, 09:36 AM
If your looking for ratings/income generation... Lakers have to be involved out west.

Biggest would be LA vs. New York... I could imagine the entire state of New York watching every game of that series alone. Likely the most watched finals ever

Only thing is that a LA vs New York series would only go four games.

ShakeN'Bake
12-10-2010, 09:37 AM
Whoever says Lakers vs Heat wouldn't generate good ratings are lying haters

This, well minus the haters part.

Tons of people will be drawn in just to see the Heat fail.

JordansBulls
12-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Celtics vs Spurs.

SteBO
12-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Celtics vs Spurs.

Hell no

Da Knicks
12-10-2010, 10:22 AM
New York vs Los Angeles thats a no brainer, however new york would have to have Melo and another big to make the series go longer.

chris34
12-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Lakers v NY
Lakers v Heat
Lakers v Boston
Lakers v Bulls

In that order. But that is somewhat dependent on what develops during the season (i.e. trade of Melo, DRose keeps playing like an MVP and gains some pub, etc.)

todu82
12-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Lakers/Heat

Basketash
12-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Right now
LA/Heat

LA/NY wouldnt be close beacuse it would be a sweep, why only have 4 when you can have 7 that being sad LA/Celtics is right there.

SNYmets86
12-10-2010, 11:34 AM
lakers - knicks
lakers - bulls
lakers - heat

bigsams50
12-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Lakers vs Celtics Their 1-1 against each other this decade, only right they end the tie

RaiderLakersA's
12-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Lakers vs. Heat

Not going to happen, but it would draw the most ratings. Lakers vs. Celtics probably second.

Agree with this. Lakers vs. whichever team comes out of the East is going to have plot lines galore and major interest from fans and casual viewers alike.

Other matchups that might garner high ratings:

*Thunder vs. Heat (The association's current golden boy, Kevin Durant, versus the fallen angel, Darth LeBron. A battle for the soul of the NBA.)

*Celtics v. Spurs (Shaq & Duncan's last stand.)

DaBUU
12-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Easy, T-wolves VS Cavs.

pow!
/thread

dnewguy
12-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Anything Vs Heat will draw the most attention in the play-offs.

Russollini
12-10-2010, 11:59 AM
I think it will be Lakers Heat, but I am looking forward to a first round Knicks Heat. I used to LOVE those series. Some of the best I ever saw. PJ Throwing Ward would be all over SC lol.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Knicks > Bulls when it comes to ratings that actually matter.

What ratings would that be? The NY ratings?

When it comes to fielding global icons, and winning teams over the last 30 some years, NY doesn't even come close to the Bulls.

ironman9518
12-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Yeah, that was kinda my thinking behind it. And add in the fact that the Bulls are relatively similar from the East, it would make for a good series.

Tough loss tonight by the way. Iguodala looked like he was going to lead you guys to a win.

i laughed at this a little. iggys gotta go

ironman9518
12-10-2010, 12:03 PM
but its gotta be lakers vs. knicks/heat or bulls vs. OKC

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Lakers-Heat
Laker-Bulls
Lakers-Knicks

PennyMy#1
12-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Miami-Lakers
Boston-Miami

yoseppii12
12-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Bulls vs. Jazz. The PG matchup plus old Jordan team finals., and the fact that half the Bulls used to play for the Jazz, and Jerry Sloan, former bull, hard nosed defensive coach vs. Thibedeau, hard nosed defensive coach.
Also, Bulls vs. Celtics in the ECF would be ridiculous, Thibedeau vs. Old team, Doc Rivers, the Chicago native, and anyone who watched the series a few years ago understands what I am saying, but heat or magic vs celtics would be great as well.
Bulls vs. Thunder. PG matchup, Durant, and two of the young up and coming teams.

Obviously Heat vs Lakers would have the most buzz. Young contenders against veteran champs.

But the Bulls have the most interesting road and matchups of anyone.

The Bulls definitely have a possibility of something like this happening. They could potentially play;

1.Bulls Knicks opening round. Big game. 2/3 Basketball Meccas.
2. Bulls vs Celtics 2 rd. Enough said above
3. Bulls vs Miami ECF. Wade vs hometown. Lebron chose Miami/Chicago.
4a. Bulls vs Lakers Finals. Phil vs old team HUGE.
4b. Bulls vs Thunder. PG matchup Durant vs Rose Best young stars in the league
4c. Bulls vs Utah. History reasons said above

But let me say something here.

1. Bulls aren't making it to the finals. Maybe in 2 years most likely not this year or next. Hopefully I am wrong some how.
2. Bulls aren't making it to the ECF. Maybe in 2 years most likely not this year
or next. Hopefully I am wrong some how.
3. Bulls are going to have a challenge winning their first playoff series in a while no matter who they play.
4. If Bulls did make it to Finals, I don't see the perfect storm matchup vs the thunder being an option. Odds of both teams making it, 1 in 500.

davidst.hubbins
12-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Lakers-Heat
Laker-Bulls
Lakers-Knicks

This.

People are on here trying to talk about matchups and stuff. That's BS, Market Size provides ratings.

Biggest Markets:

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. Philadelphia
5. Dallas
6. San Francisco
7. Boston

With that in mind, any teams from the top 3 cities meeting would provide the biggest ratings. Listen, people in New York wouldn't care what the odds were on NY winning the title, but I guarantee you that at least 80% of the 20,000,000 people that live there would be tuned in, and that's what you need, you need the casual fans to tune in. Mix that in with LA's population and TV rating prowess, I'd say NY vs. LA would bring in the biggest ratings.

RaiderLakersA's
12-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Heat vs. Cavs

I'd be all for this...if the Cavs could somehow pull off a multi-team trade bringing in Marc Gasol, Kevin Love, Monta Ellis, Carmelo Anthony, Steve Nash or Chris Paul or Tony Parker, Grant Hill and Dirk Nowitzki. :eyebrow:

RaiderLakersA's
12-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Miami-Lakers
Boston-Miami

Boston and Miami are in the same conference. They can't meet in the Finals unless one of those teams goes to the Western Conference. And if one of those teams had to play in the Western Conference, you'd hope it would be the Celtics. Miami at their current w-l standings wouldn't make the playoffs in the West.

Klivlend
12-10-2010, 12:26 PM
It's got to be Kobe vs. LeBron, doesn't it? Weren't most people last year hoping for a Lakers vs. Cavs finals?

OREcoast49er
12-10-2010, 12:30 PM

Thatd be the one Id want to watch the most actually. I get sick of seeing the same teams over and over. Well just the Lakers really. Id love to see Durant and co. take down the Lakers in the playoffs. They came close last year. And that was the one series I followed. Im a huge sucker for the young up and coming/underdog team.

beasted86
12-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Thatd be the one Id want to watch the most actually. I get sick of seeing the same teams over and over. Well just the Lakers really. Id love to see Durant and co. take down the Lakers in the playoffs. They came close last year. And that was the one series I followed. Im a huge sucker for the young up and coming/underdog team.

I think any series where the Lakers lose/are losing would garner more ratings than the actual Finals that include whatever team makes it past them.

Same thing goes for the Heat.

Don't be surprised to see a potential Celtics/Heat ECF out rating a Finals series that doesn't include them.

OREcoast49er
12-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Ya, in reality Lakers, Heat will be the bigggest. Im sure Sterns going to be "pulling" for that one. Imagine the ratings....

FadeAwayLikeMJ
12-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Lakers vs. Heat

Agreed

m26555
12-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Celtics/Lakers. I think people would want to see the trilogy.

DLeeicious
12-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Not choosing my own team who I would obviously prefer to watch the series I would prefer are:

Lakers vs Boston
Lakers vs Miami (I know I know, not realistic but would be fun to watch)
Spurs vs Boston

Kashmir13579
12-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Celtics Lakers obviously.... but Lakers Knicks or Lakers Heat would do great as well.

Hoopsadvocate
12-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Rings>Other Personal accomplishments when it comes to ratings that actually matter.

um no in terms of rating rings dont mean squat ask the spurs and pistons back in the early part of the decade.

Hoopsadvocate
12-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Theres another thread that someone linked that games against the HEAT have the highest % of attendence when playing at another teams arena and thats against any team match that up with the highest % attendence from the western conference (Lakers) and its obvious that Lakers v HEAT would be the biggest ratings and its not even up for debate after that. /thread

jmcelligott92
12-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Knicks > Bulls when it comes to ratings that actually matter.

Bulls> to everyone else when it comes to attendance

Chicago V Lakers would be the biggest Finals of all time
Phil Jacksons last year, the 20th anniversary of the the 91 championship
2 of the most popular teams in the world
it would be crazy

Lakerhead4ever
12-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Spurs have been a very good team throughout the years but lets get real, no one wants to see them.
Mavs are an exciting team as well but why go mavs when you can go lakers
its obvious, Lakers vs Heat will be the favorite match up, although basketball wise i rather see lakers and celtics. the heat hasn't shown the world anything worth cheering about yet

Sadds The Gr8
12-10-2010, 01:18 PM
bulls> to everyone else when it comes to attendance

chicago v lakers would be the biggest finals of all time
phil jacksons last year, the 20th anniversary of the the 91 championship
it would be crazy

boost.

jmcelligott92
12-10-2010, 01:19 PM
but also the Knicks v LA
and i feel like the heat vs lakers would just be the most overhyped finals ever and the ratings will be huge but not if as big as if it was a Huge market such as NY or CHI

Lakerhead4ever
12-10-2010, 01:24 PM

it would be crazy

Chicago and Lakers biggest finals of all time? lol yeah rite u must be kidding... lakers would win 4-1 easy. reason why u ask? boozer left the west cuz he cant get past the lakers, rose would be doing it all by himself again. bulls messed up by letting salmons and gordon go. that was so dumb

jmcelligott92
12-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Theres another thread that someone linked that games against the HEAT have the highest % of attendence when playing at another teams arena and thats against any team match that up with the highest % attendence from the western conference (Lakers) and its obvious that Lakers v HEAT would be the biggest ratings and its not even up for debate after that. /thread

the bulls are first at home
and 3rd on the road behind you and the Lakers,
so according to your logic the bulls Lakers would be bigger

el_primo_nano
12-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Celtics-Lakers
Lakers-Heat

jmcelligott92
12-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Chicago and Lakers biggest finals of all time? lol yeah rite u must be kidding... lakers would win 4-1 easy. reason why u ask? boozer left the west cuz he cant get past the lakers, rose would be doing it all by himself again. bulls messed up by letting salmons and gordon go. that was so dumb

It will be highly rated, thats what i meant when i said biggest of all time.
and yeah they were trying to make room for LBJ and Dwade.... it was was dumb but our team is solid now,

shep33
12-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Only thing is that a LA vs New York series would only go four games.

Yeah but theoretically if we're talking about potential.. like imagine if that series went 7 games it'd be huge, obviously it probably wouldn't. Lakers Celts always good... Lakers Bulls would be big too

justinnum1
12-10-2010, 01:56 PM

lol

PhillyFaninLA
12-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Lakers Vs Celtics

Yankees vs Red Socks
Red Wings vs Avalanche
Colts vs Patiots (or Dallas vs Giants/Eagles)
Lakers vs Celtics

Are the highest individual ratings in each of the 4 major sports year after year.

td0tsfinest
12-10-2010, 02:14 PM

I would like to think all playoffs games would be sold out, especially in the finals.

When it comes down to TV ratings, I couldn't think of a bigger matchup than Lebron vs Kobe. It's the dream finale David Stern and the NBA have been hoping for. The two best players in the league.

There are a lot of Heat hate but at the same time a lot of people are watching the heat. They've been the most trended team in the second half of the year.

And the Lakers are Lakers. They have fans everywhere. Almost every road game they play (especially the Clippers ;) :D), you can hear the Lakers support in the home team's arena.

If Lakers and Heat both make it to the finals, it will undoubtedly be the most watched series.

Hawkeye15
12-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Rings>Other Personal accomplishments when it comes to ratings that actually matter.

correct. Rings mean that player A was on a better TEAM.

kArSoN RyDaH
12-10-2010, 07:30 PM
correct. Rings mean that player A was on a better TEAM.

it is possible that that team was better because of that player. just sayin. :rolleyes:

footballer2369
12-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Except in Kobe's case. Then it's simply not possible ;)

John Walls Era
12-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Lakers and Heat easy. A finals match-up of Kobe and Lebron has been long anticipated. The bonus is the team they are on.

John Walls Era
12-10-2010, 09:07 PM

it would be crazy

Fine line between being proud and ignorant. Lebron and Kobe are the most popular players in the world. Who cares about home attendance, we are talking about tv ratings and millions of people watching this worldwide.

kArSoN RyDaH
12-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Except in Kobe's case. Then it's simply not possible ;)

:o

Hoopsadvocate
12-10-2010, 09:21 PM

No because in this case (the finals) u dont just want ur home crowd watching if that were the case then ya bulls v lakers would be the best. But like u said bulls are not 1st on the road the HEAT are. That means people want buy tickets to see the HEAT just like they would tune in to see them on tv and the Lakers respectively.

heathonater
12-10-2010, 10:16 PM
i would think miami versus the lakers would draw the biggest ratings. the star power in this series would be off the charts.

DaBear
12-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Lakers vs Bulls

For some reason, I don't think Miami would get high ratings. Even though they have the trio, no one cares about Florida teams.

Kenny Powders
12-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Raps and Nuggets. Getting a good preview tonight.

kArSoN RyDaH
12-11-2010, 12:18 AM
lakers/bulls game tnite was pretty intense.

Jewelz0376
12-11-2010, 03:12 AM
lakers/bulls game tnite was pretty intense.

Yea lucky for them they already got their two games in before Bynum comes back...

As far as the question goes...Its obviously La vs Mia... Lebron vs Kobe in the finals is something the league has wanted so badly the past 2 seasons...add Wade onto that...and I think that series could compete with some of the Bulls finals in terms of ratings..especially if it went to a game 7 :speechless:

kArSoN RyDaH
12-11-2010, 03:16 AM
Yea lucky for them they already got their two games in before Bynum comes back...

As far as the question goes...Its obviously La vs Mia... Lebron vs Kobe in the finals is something the league has wanted so badly the past 2 seasons...add Wade onto that...and I think that series could compete with some of the Bulls finals in terms of ratings..especially if it went to a game 7 :speechless:

if that game went to game 7. wow. that would be crazy. lol. but ill still take lakers in 4 ;)

ElMarroAfamado
12-11-2010, 08:19 AM
probably Lakers Heat
because everyone hates the Lakers and everyone hates Lebron james so everyone will tune in to watch....

Lakers in 4.