PDA

View Full Version : Under the radar, with potentially big upside

DenButsu
12-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Which players do you think aren't getting much love right now, but could turn into something special over the next few seasons?

Stunner
12-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Terrance Williams, Armon Johnson, Nick Young, Demar Derozan

Baller1
12-09-2010, 12:37 PM
I still don't think Love is getting the recognition he deserves for what he's been doing this season. His stats have truly been almost unrealistic for modern NBA players.

wtbaseball
12-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Kevin Martin gets NO love but is quietly one of the top scorers in the NBA.

Giaps
12-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Anthony Randolph

fadedmario
12-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Rodney Stuckey

jg1573
12-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Kevin Martin gets no love cuz he has one of the ugliest shots in the NBA and is hurt for at least 10 - 15 games a year

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Kevin Martin gets no love cuz he has one of the ugliest shots in the NBA and is hurt for at least 10 - 15 games a year

And cause he lets his man score more points than he scores himself

Madness23
12-09-2010, 01:10 PM
bargnani ?

LanceUpperCut
12-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Bargnani gets zero love, his rebounding needs work and his help D needs work also but this guy is playing out of position and keeps getting better every year. He can score from anywhere on the floor and matched up with the right front court partner could be one of the best big's for years to come, when he is on he's one of the top offensive guys in the league. Not to mention never misses time and a great teammate.

jg1573
12-09-2010, 01:30 PM
And cause he lets his man score more points than he scores himself

true words

Chronz
12-09-2010, 02:45 PM
LOL Bargs, he deserves all the hate he gets

beasted86
12-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Bargnani gets zero love, his rebounding needs work and his help D needs work also but this guy is playing out of position and keeps getting better every year. He can score from anywhere on the floor and matched up with the right front court partner could be one of the best big's for years to come, when he is on he's one of the top offensive guys in the league. Not to mention never misses time and a great teammate.
Do you really believe Bargnani would be any better at PF?

JermanJaysFan
12-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Do you really believe Bargnani would be any better at PF?

No, but he would be at SG :laugh2:

beasted86
12-09-2010, 03:01 PM
LOL Bargs, he deserves all the hate he gets

Yeah, I mean were not trying to hate or anything but he has holes in his game.

He's a terrible rebounder, a terrible help defender and only mediocre on ball (overrated for on-ball defense by most Raptors fans), doesn't pass very well, and despite the high scoring average gets assisted on the majority of his baskets. This year he's at a career low, and is still assisted on 63% of his field goals. In 09-10 he was at 75%, and 08-09 at 77%, 07-08 79%, 06-07 78%.

You can't be supposedly labeled a premier scoring option in this league and be assisted on that many baskets, and still only shoot something like 44% from the field over your career.

Bargnani is a pretty good player, just wish people would mainly stop with the Dirk comparisons.

tdunk21
12-09-2010, 03:07 PM
dejuan blair of the spurs

Hawkeye15
12-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Eric Gordon still gets little recognition

beasted86
12-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Anthony Randolph

:confused:

Mane
12-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Nick Young :)

Future 6th man of the year. 7 20 point games off the bench this year, to lead all bench players.. (closest is Hakim Warrick with 4), he's developed his defense a lot this year, and could be lock down next year.. He seems to have finally found a bit of consistency (despite a poor showing last night). This is of course my homer pick.. but i think he can be a damn good player, whether it's with the wiz or another team.

Raph12
John Wall

Byronicle

correction, he is getting better every game ;)

he has averaged 8 rebs/game in Evan's absence which is pretty good if you ask me

he can pass, just got 6 assists last night, and he would've been averaging more this season if we actually ran the offense through him, but clearly when we do good things happen and his assist just blossom

and he doesn't get love because well he has been under the shadow of Bosh for a very long time right now, that he has been forgotten, and guys who are mainly 2nd year are the ones being mentioned a lot in this thread

and he is durable, this guy will have a long career and can potentially prove to people that he is a great player

beasted86
12-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Eric Gordon still gets little recognition

:clap:

Byronicle
12-09-2010, 03:14 PM
John Wall

ya ok buddy, this guy gets tons of lovin' especially when people debate about ROY candidates

omdigga
12-09-2010, 03:15 PM
shannon brown..

mjqusoldier
12-09-2010, 03:20 PM
A guy named Amare Stoudemire. He plays power forward for the Knicks. Looking decent man.

Stunner
12-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Nick Young :)

Future 6th man of the year. 7 20 point games off the bench this year, to lead all bench players.. (closest is Hakim Warrick with 4), he's developed his defense a lot this year, and could be lock down next year.. He seems to have finally found a bit of consistency (despite a poor showing last night). This is of course my homer pick.. but i think he can be a damn good player, whether it's with the wiz or another team.

Hope its the Bulls! :pray:

Da Knicks
12-09-2010, 03:23 PM
timo mosgov

LeQuit James
12-09-2010, 03:24 PM
how can you like 3 cruddy detroit teams and you dont like the red wings who are good

LeQuit James
12-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Beasely

Chronz
12-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Gordan will catch on, I was worried after last years non-improvements but hes got the potential to be better than Mitch Richmond

Sadds The Gr8
12-09-2010, 03:51 PM

He's a terrible rebounder, a terrible help defender and only mediocre on ball (overrated for on-ball defense by most Raptors fans), doesn't pass very well, and despite the high scoring average gets assisted on the majority of his baskets. This year he's at a career low, and is still assisted on 63% of his field goals. In 09-10 he was at 75%, and 08-09 at 77%, 07-08 79%, 06-07 78%.

You can't be supposedly labeled a premier scoring option in this league and be assisted on that many baskets, and still only shoot something like 44% from the field over your career.

Bargnani is a pretty good player, just wish people would mainly stop with the Dirk comparisons.

who calls him Dirk? No1's called him Dirk since before he got drafted...obviously people are gonna compare their games because they're both jump shooting 7 footers. U guys are some haters...holy ****.

alencp3
12-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Hibbert, Favors, J Thompson, Harden, Belinelli ( not much upside, but he is under the radar), Ilyasova, Derozan, Batum, McGee and others

clutchski
12-09-2010, 03:56 PM

He's unguardable at times...like Dirk is. Watch his highlights from last night. And his rebounding isn't that bad since Reggie Evans got injured.

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_KN6l4BIfk)

td0tsfinest
12-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Ed Davis, cause I'm a homer like that. :D

I love Xavier Henry's game. I think he's got the tools to be a great perimeter defender in this league and his ability to hit the three ball, makes him a threat on both sides of the court. 7-foot wing span, a great basketball IQ and the guy is only 19, plenty of room to grow.

DerekRE_3
12-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Pooh freaking Jeter. Guy is so fun to watch. As far as upside goes, his ceiling is Bobby Jackson, such would be awesome.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
12-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Anthony Randolph

Let go man... He used to be one of my faves, and I used to always say how good he was gonna be in GS. then he went to NY thought he'd average atleaste a double double. syyyke! Anthony Randolph is a straight bum! I even drafted him on my fantasy team

Phenomenonsense
12-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Austin Daye. Before line up changes and when he was getting consistent minutes the kid made 12/14 3 pointers (and 10 in a row) over the course of 4-6 games.

Raph12
12-09-2010, 04:13 PM
ya ok buddy, this guy gets tons of lovin' especially when people debate about ROY candidates

Not really, people don't see that playing with Arenas has hurt his numbers, before Arenas, Wall was putting up 21-10... He'll get more recognition when Arenas leaves, is traded, is suspended, etc...

Dol-Fan
12-09-2010, 04:28 PM

Not to nitpick, but you take his yearly numbers for % of FGs assisted on, and then ignore the fact that he's shooting better than 47% for each of the past two seasons, and his career FG% is skewed by a terrible sophomore season where he shot 39%. And he hasn't been labelled as a 'premier scoring option' until this year - bringing up his career FG% is not only bringing up skewed data, but also irrelevant.

There are plenty of things to pick on in Bargnani's game, I suggest you choose something other than his offense.

DenButsu
12-10-2010, 03:52 AM
double post

Baller1
12-10-2010, 04:01 AM
I wish Harden would play to his potential. :(

xxcubs22xx
12-10-2010, 04:16 AM
I wish Harden would play to his potential. :(

agree.

Others on my list (there are more that i can't think of right now):
Landry Fields
Joakim Noah (still has a lot of room for improvement)
Ty Lawson
Amir Johnson

jdmd3
12-10-2010, 04:17 AM
Amare's not under the radar. There's been an inordinate number of threads started by knicks fans praising him as MVP.

Al Horford if is quite underrated. Very efficient on offense while putting up 17pts 9.5rbs 3.3 assists. Deadly midrange shooter, decent rebounder, underated passer. Heck he even leads all big men who atleast play 25 minutes a game in PER rating.

DenButsu
12-10-2010, 04:17 AM
Guys who I had in mind when I mare this thread:
The two Wesleys (Matthews and Johnson)
Aminu
George Hill

Aminu's still kind of raw, but he seems to have a nice skill set, and if he can develop it some, he could be solid.

Hill's recent consistency is encouraging. It would be interesting to see what he could do with the opportunity to play a more expanded role if TP went down for a few games.

... which is exactly what Matthews has done vis a vis Roy. And i think he's probably earned a starting spot for the season.

And Johnson is quietly putting in somev very nice production. I don't think it will be too long before he has a statement game or two that put him on the radar screen.

Can't finish without a homer pick: Gary Forbes. I'm worried about his defense somewhat, but he has been surprisingly efficient offensively, this season's annual diamond in the rough.

beasted86
12-10-2010, 05:17 AM
who calls him Dirk? No1's called him Dirk since before he got drafted...obviously people are gonna compare their games because they're both jump shooting 7 footers. U guys are some haters...holy ****.

He's unguardable at times...like Dirk is. Watch his highlights from last night. And his rebounding isn't that bad since Reggie Evans got injured.

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_KN6l4BIfk)

You got your answer right there.

There is a lot more where this poster came from.

Evolution23
12-10-2010, 05:27 AM
Bargnani needs to be considered. He is playing really well this year for the Raptors. Plus he's got more heart than Bosh ever did.

beasted86
12-10-2010, 05:29 AM
Not to nitpick, but you take his yearly numbers for % of FGs assisted on, and then ignore the fact that he's shooting better than 47% for each of the past two seasons, and his career FG% is skewed by a terrible sophomore season where he shot 39%. And he hasn't been labelled as a 'premier scoring option' until this year - bringing up his career FG% is not only bringing up skewed data, but also irrelevant.

There are plenty of things to pick on in Bargnani's game, I suggest you choose something other than his offense.

Maybe it's just me, but 47% is still not very efficient on 75%+ assisted field goals. He's been almost at 80% for the majority of his career and still only shoots mid 40s. For a guy getting that much offense created for him, he should be able to convert a higher percentage. That's just my take on it.

But you are right.... His lack of defense, rebounding, and passing is what mainly gives him questionable value amongst most NBA fans. I just wanted to point out his offense isn't exactly spectacular either. He hasn't really proven he can create his own shots to carry an offense. His 17-20 PPG is deceptive to how skilled of a scorer he is in this league. I consider guys like Zach Randolph and David West better scorers... and most Bargnani fans would probably disagree, and I don't consider those guys premier scorers in the league anyway.

ChiTownPacerFan
12-10-2010, 07:08 AM
Brandon Rush (please!). Seriously, he has the talent and has shown some flashes. He just needs to be consistently aggressive.

KnicksorBust
12-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Personally I don't think Javale McGee gets enough love. That the first name that popped in my head.

Bornknick73
12-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Landry "Butter" Fields

Slimsim
12-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Homer Pick

Wilson Chandler

Weezy
12-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Bargs
Hibbert
Wilson Chandler