PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox now offer Cliff Lee a 7-yr deal

MagicBucsSox
12-09-2010, 02:54 AM
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Red Sox were one of the teams with a seven-year offer out to left-hander Cliff Lee.

The offer contained a low average annual salary, ensuring that Lee would not immediately accept. The Red Sox wanted to give ammunition to Lee's agent in his negotiations with the Yankees -- driving up the price on their longtime rivals. That offer is off the table now, either because it has been exposed or because Boston just shelled out a seven-year, $142 million contract to Carl Crawford. The Yanks and Rangers remain the most serious suitors.

MagicBucsSox
12-09-2010, 02:56 AM
theo epstein is a BOSS lol. Scott Boras must be pulling an Inception. i wonder how much this will drive up Lee's price

MelanconMadness
12-09-2010, 02:58 AM
In before close.

This was before the Crawford deal, and it wasnt enough for Cliff Lee

robdizzle3
12-09-2010, 02:58 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! THIS WOULD BE GREAT ON EPIC LEVELS!!!! I would not stop laughing if this happened... Theo is bringing that rivalry to the Yanks front door... Can Yanks fans say Lowe? lol

Dol-Fan
12-09-2010, 03:00 AM
edit: I need to read articles because apparently thread starters don't like to.

bullocks
The title is misleading. It should be the Red Sox "offered", considering it says it's been pulled off the table.

I guess English isn't people's strong point.

papipapsmanny
driving up the price thats all, they are to interested nor should they be, lee would be an even worse deal then crawford and werth

redsox0717
12-09-2010, 03:02 AM
The title is misleading. It should be the Red Sox "offered", considering it says it's been pulled off the table.

I guess English isn't people's strong point.

I lol'd. I guess it isn't yours either.

Ty Fast
12-09-2010, 03:02 AM
dont be surprised to lee get a bigger contact than sabathia from the yanks

robdizzle3
12-09-2010, 03:04 AM
Damn.. This would've been great lol

1908_Cubs
12-09-2010, 03:05 AM
Did you not read this properly? It's not that the Sox are now offering Lee a 7 year deal, he did it before and then pulled it when they signed Crawford.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
12-09-2010, 03:11 AM
o man i thought this came out after cc haha that would have been crazy

More-Than-Most
12-09-2010, 03:30 AM
The way I am reading it makes Theo a genius... He got the best of both worlds... He helped drive up the price for Lee and basically made any chance of the Yankees getting him being contingent on a 7 year deal and then pulled out of the sweepstakes and made a quick offer to CC and grabbed him up and strengthened his team even further while forcing the Yankees to overpay or lose Lee all together. :worthy:

Melo15
12-09-2010, 03:37 AM
o man i thought this came out after cc haha that would have been crazy

Me too lol very misleading title.

NYSackExchange
12-09-2010, 03:49 AM
Well the Yanks said they had interest in Crawford and that definitely drove up the price for him. Angels offered him 7 yrs also, but at $108 million. <---------whixh is what he is worth at most. Now the Sox may have driven up the Yanks offer for Lee. This happens ALL THE TIME.

MacFitz92
12-09-2010, 03:57 AM
I lol'd. I guess it isn't yours either.

It's is a contraction for it is or it has. In that situation it is used for it has, therefore the grammar is correct.

oak2455
12-09-2010, 09:06 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! THIS WOULD BE GREAT ON EPIC LEVELS!!!! I would not stop laughing if this happened... Theo is bringing that rivalry to the Yanks front door... Can Yanks fans say Lowe? lol

You must laugh a lot by yourself....BTW Lee will be a Yankee...so keep laughing...ha ha ha

el_primo_nano
12-09-2010, 09:33 AM
He's driving up the price. Smart man. If Lee goes there the Sox are officially favorites for the title for the next 3 years

waffles
12-09-2010, 09:40 AM
This type of stuff happens all of the time. Cashman and Crawford met and had dinner on Tuesday night--what kind of effect do you think that had on the Red Sox signing their man? I'm sure it did something.

misterd
12-09-2010, 09:40 AM
The way I am reading it makes Theo a genius... He got the best of both worlds... He helped drive up the price for Lee and basically made any chance of the Yankees getting him being contingent on a 7 year deal and then pulled out of the sweepstakes and made a quick offer to CC and grabbed him up and strengthened his team even further while forcing the Yankees to overpay or lose Lee all together. :worthy:

Of course, now that everyone KNOWS that the offer was bogus, all of that extra leverage Lee gained has gone out the window. This only worked if 1) Lee signed before Crawford, and 2) no one knew the low AAV of the deal. Since neither happened, it seems like a wasted effort.

The bigger leverage came simply by signing Crawford, as he was widely viewed as NYY's "Plan B". With B off the table, the Yanks have to be that much more determined to get Lee, because I don't see a Plan C out there.

misterd
12-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Well the Yanks said they had interest in Crawford and that definitely drove up the price for him. Angels offered him 7 yrs also, but at $108 million. <---------whixh is what he is worth at most. Now the Sox may have driven up the Yanks offer for Lee. This happens ALL THE TIME.

I have to think the Nationals drove up the price more than the Yankees. As for the Angels, they couldn't seriously believe that a $15m contract would get it done in this market.

F*(&"Next Year"
12-09-2010, 10:18 AM
They offered him 7 years @ 140 million sticks of trident layers gum.

CostanzaNumba0
12-09-2010, 10:44 AM

are you high? the yankees did the exact same thing to the sox with crawford which resulted in a bogus contract

hugepatsfan
12-09-2010, 10:45 AM
This appears to be a case of driving up the price at its finest.

bringinwood
12-09-2010, 11:21 AM
If they sign Crawford and Lee away from the Yankees, this would be one of the more epic offseasons in recent history...

I've had the same feeling since this postseason began... Anyone, other than Yankees, would be great for baseball and Cliff Lee... It's pretty telling when I hope the Nationals sign him before the Yanks...

I'm a Phils fan...

SportsFan17
12-09-2010, 11:55 AM
are you high? the yankees did the exact same thing to the sox with crawford which resulted in a bogus contract

Prove it? Can you provide a link stating that anyone, let alone the Yankees, actually *offered* a contract to Crawford prior to his signing?

The only team involved in generating Crawford's market was the Nationals when they blew up Werth's deal.

Melo15
12-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Prove it? Can you provide a link stating that anyone, let alone the Yankees, actually *offered* a contract to Crawford prior to his signing?

The only team involved in generating Crawford's market was the Nationals when they blew up Werth's deal.

Just the fact that other teams knew the Yankees had lunch with him drove his price up. There have been a lot of people saying the Yankees were considering going hard for him, likely a planned leak from the Yankees front office. These two teams do it to each other all the time.

D1JM
12-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Yankees might not even get lee

The Rangers are sending a contingent to Little Rock, Ark., today to meet with Cliff Lee and his agent, Darek Braunecker

CostanzaNumba0
12-09-2010, 12:59 PM

They didnt even have to offer a deal, their mere prescence was sufficient to drive the deal to astronomical heights

but anyway

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5898434

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/for_yankees_it_all_about_TUzmTED3W4grMvypfpeKgN

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/12/03/yankees.crawford/index.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/12/03/2010-12-03_yankees_in_contact_with_former_devil_ray_curren t_freeagent_outfielder_carl_crawf.html

satisfied?

SportsFan17
12-09-2010, 03:37 PM
They didnt even have to offer a deal, their mere prescence was sufficient to drive the deal to astronomical heights

but anyway

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5898434

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/for_yankees_it_all_about_TUzmTED3W4grMvypfpeKgN

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/12/03/yankees.crawford/index.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/12/03/2010-12-03_yankees_in_contact_with_former_devil_ray_curren t_freeagent_outfielder_carl_crawf.html

satisfied?

We'll have to agree to disagree. The Red Sox did not need to sign Crawford, and the Yankees talking to him certainly did not push the Sox into offering contract of this magnitude to him. The Sox usually draw lines with players and follow a system.

Maybe another team, like the Angels, would have sped up things and gone a little nuts if the Yanks sat down with him, but the Sox deal with this process every year.

The Nationals made his market; call me a stubborn Sox fan, but I don't see how the Yankees sitting down with Crawford pushed the Sox' hand into offering a contract worth over 20m/year to a player with Crawford's credentials.

Crawford is a luxury for the Sox, and they had the press (and apparently most of baseball) thinking they were strongly pursuing Ordonez/Beltran.

Johann
12-09-2010, 03:47 PM
I have been mislead