PDA

View Full Version : Nash or Stoudemire

More-Than-Most
12-08-2010, 05:01 AM
I am not sure if this has been asked or if its thread worthy so I will ask in here... They are apart now and everyone said Nash would have a down year and Amare would as well... Which player is statistically more surprising right now? Nash or Amare?

Nash right now is at 18.5 ppg and 10.7 apg and shooting 51 percent from the field.

Amare right now is at 25.3 ppg and 8.9 rpg and shooting 53 percent from the field. Amare has played in 3 more games than Nash Currently.

Duncan = Donkey
12-08-2010, 05:15 AM
It has to be Amare, people have not seen him play in his prime without Nash before. So no-one really knew what to expect.

Nash has won an MVP putting up 19 and 10.5 without Amare. So its not that much of a surprise he is having another fantastic year.

Kyben36
12-08-2010, 05:20 AM
Prime or not, In their primes, I would take nash over alot of people in this leage, im still not convinced that Amare can lead a team, he isnt a #1 option as far as Im concerned. his team is triving on a good shooting streak, in no way is he carrying them.

cambovenzi
12-08-2010, 05:27 AM
Not really surprised by either. We all knew nash and amare were good.
Amare keep his averages as hes relied on a lot in NY

The Mecca
12-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Prime or not, In their primes, I would take nash over alot of people in this leage, im still not convinced that Amare can lead a team, he isnt a #1 option as far as Im concerned. his team is triving on a good shooting streak, in no way is he carrying them.

Yea, scoring 30+ in 5 straight, being a leader, taking over games in the forth quarter. Yea, not carrying the Knicks at all. SMH. Don't know if you've actually watched any Knicks games.

Evolution23
12-08-2010, 08:17 AM
The truth is both players compliment each other but neither really misses the other.

Mplsman
12-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Nash simply for his age.

Khalifa21
12-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Stoudemire.

People were claiming he was nothing without Nash, barely a 20 PPG scorer... He's proving them wrong.

John Walls Era
12-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Nash. I knew Amare couldn't avg 10 rebounds.

millerandco
12-08-2010, 09:46 AM
nash. amare is playing on a bad team so of course he will put up big numbers

ShakeN'Bake
12-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Amare. Alot of people thought he would fail without Nash.

Knicks Fire Dog
12-08-2010, 10:10 AM

Were 13 -9 ?

I know our schedule is soft but even the ESPN analyst are giving us some respect now. We are not a championship contender obviously but we are playoff bound and if we can sqeak out a couple of wins against the elite teams, we will be well over .500 in like over 5 years. So I think we are pretty good.

And even though we have had a soft schedule, arent good teams supposed to beat bad teams or average teams. Thats how you become good. Start by beating teams you should and then start beating teams you need to beat.

Swashcuff
12-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Though I chose Amar'e IMO none of them are surprising. I mean did you guys really expect to see Amar'e average anything less than 23 in that offense. Nash or no Nash the man is a quality player in this league.

Knicks Fire Dog
12-08-2010, 10:11 AM

He is averaging around 9 with more blocks and more buckets in his career and I even think his assists are up more as well. So he has improved so far in every category.

Knicks Fire Dog
12-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Nash is Nash! A hall of famer, great all around player. He is not getting any better because he is already one of the best. He is consistent every night. His defense kind of sucks but thats because of his size.

Amare is statistically more surprising. People might have predicted Nash's assists numbers dropping but thats it. Nash is a great point guard and will get his numbers any way any how. Its actually quite incredible with the lack of talent the Suns have right now (aside from j-rich and Hill and Nash of course) that he is still putting up crazy assist numbers but again, thats what great players do.

Amare is growing into that role where Nash has already been there. So its exciting. So the answer to your question is Amare, even though both are surprising.

Crackadalic
12-08-2010, 10:34 AM

Amare is playing on a winning team. if you want to talk about stats look at blake griffin. he puts up monster numbers without baron or kaman fully healthy so yea his stats are a little inflated.

Not saying Amare isnt the same but at least STAT has players around him blake has no bigs around him at all so his rebounding is inflated. our 2nd leading rebounder is Fields who is averaging 7.5 rpg so amare rpg is a little down

David lee was our best rebounder yet we were almost dead last in rebounding last season another player whos rebounding was a little inflated because he had no bigs or players that rebounded

Nash will be Nash but give credit to Amare for his play who is at times double team all the time and still is putting up those numbers

sunnydayin'zona
12-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Yea, scoring 30+ in 5 straight, being a leader, taking over games in the forth quarter. Yea, not carrying the Knicks at all. SMH. Don't know if you've actually watched any Knicks games.

limited sample size, soft schedule, and i dont know if YOU'VE actually watched amare that much, aside from these 20 games.

dispute it however you want, say you've had a lot of back to backs, close games, ect. you will see amare get back to playing no D and rebounding minimally for his paycheck soon enough. he's great half the time, and he's frustrating half the time. when you watch him for a season or two you'll realize this, i promise.

i love amare, but he's not a leader.

xbrackattackx
12-08-2010, 10:50 AM
The truth is both players compliment each other but neither really misses the other.

I like this, x2

sunnydayin'zona
12-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Were 13 -9 ?

I know our schedule is soft but even the ESPN analyst are giving us some respect now. We are not a championship contender obviously but we are playoff bound and if we can sqeak out a couple of wins against the elite teams, we will be well over .500 in like over 5 years. So I think we are pretty good.

And even though we have had a soft schedule, arent good teams supposed to beat bad teams or average teams. Thats how you become good. Start by beating teams you should and then start beating teams you need to beat.

i think his point was that the knicks arent as good as teams amare has previously been on (this knicks team is probably the worst he's been on talent-wise since before nash went to phx), so amare is asked to do more in every category. its not like he didnt have this in him before, its just that last years suns had tons of people who could put up stats, so STAT had the ball less

KnicksorBust
12-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Though I chose Amar'e IMO none of them are surprising. I mean did you guys really expect to see Amar'e average anything less than 23 in that offense. Nash or no Nash the man is a quality player in this league.

But he's still doing it effeciently. I have to say after the first week or two where they were learning to play together, he's been amazing. In the pick and roll, the PG has the harder job. His timing and passing are critical to the play. Nash has mastered the P&R and that's why guys like Hakim Warrick can slide into that lineup and throw up 20 point games. The bigman just has to catch and finish. It's a lot easier to find someone who can catch a basketball and dunk it then it is to find a PG who can time and place that pass at the perfect moment. Felton has done a very good job but Amar'e is still getting a ton of his points off jumpshots and 1 on 1 face ups.

sunnydayin'zona
12-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Amare is playing on a winning team. if you want to talk about stats look at blake griffin. he puts up monster numbers without baron or kaman fully healthy so yea his stats are a little inflated.

Not saying Amare isnt the same but at least STAT has players around him blake has no bigs around him at all so his rebounding is inflated. our 2nd leading rebounder is Fields who is averaging 7.5 rpg so amare rpg is a little down

David lee was our best rebounder yet we were almost dead last in rebounding last season another player whos rebounding was a little inflated because he had no bigs or players that rebounded

Nash will be Nash but give credit to Amare for his play who is at times double team all the time and still is putting up those numbers

uhh...who does amare have to help him rebound? certainly not chris kaman

amare has faced double teams for 5-6 years. he is that good of a scorer, and always has been.

nycericanguy
12-08-2010, 10:56 AM

really? I'm going to take a wild guess and say you haven't actually been watching the games... both of those statements could not be anymore false.

HOZ THE KNICK
12-08-2010, 11:32 AM
prime or not, in their primes, i would take nash over alot of people in this leage, im still not convinced that amare can lead a team, he isnt a #1 option as far as im concerned. His team is triving on a good shooting streak, in no way is he carrying them.

lmao.......watch some knick games read what you just wrote a then edit it, i didn't know hate can take it this far

todu82
12-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Amare

Slimsim
12-08-2010, 11:57 AM

amare has faced double teams for 5-6 years. he is that good of a scorer, and always has been.

Landry fields
Chandler
Gallo
Shawn Williams
Turiaf

Rebounding is a team Effort if Amare is not averaging 10 rebound it's either he tying to intimated the slasher or Blocking out a big.

Double_R
12-08-2010, 12:08 PM

Ha... I already knew that Amare was a bad defender.

king4day
12-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Nash has done this before with less talent so I'd pick Amar'e. Simply because he's rebounding better for some reason.

Crackadalic
12-08-2010, 12:29 PM

Wilson Chandler 5.9rpg
Gallo 4.5rpg
Fields 7.5
Ronnie3rpg
Amare 8.9rpg

Clippers
Blake 11.8rpg
kaman 7.1rpg(injured)
Deandre Jordan 5.2rpg
So outside of blake nobody on that team is averaging more then 5rpg so his stats are inflated

Suns
Frye 5.7rpg(leading rebounder:facepalm:)

You can knock about how Amare isnt averaging 10rpg but again he has teammates that rebound collectively so you cant knock him for that
You can even knock on him for his defense because theres times he makes me:facepalm: but at least the guy plays help defense and block shots

SteBO
12-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Amare, not even close. The chemistry between him and Raymond Felton has been stunning and he's rebounding way better than in the past. He's even becoming a better leader than anyone expected.

Knick_Fever
12-08-2010, 12:44 PM

:facepalm:

25 ppg (third in league), 9 rpg, 2 bpg- I think he's carrying them man

NYYCowboys
12-08-2010, 12:48 PM

We destroyed your lowly Bulls on the road, and will probably beat them again when we play in a few weeks at home.

Knick_Fever
12-08-2010, 12:50 PM

A bad team? We're one of the hottest team in the league right now- Winners of 10 of las 11 games. Get your facts straight.:facepalm:

I'm Seriously
12-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Easily Amare.

Nash carried a pretty bad team to the WCF, while putting 18.8/10.5/4.2 on 63 TS% leading the second best offense in the league.(winning the MVP)

Even if Nash has gotten older, his play right now isn't surprising.

It's just Nash being Nash.

SteBO
12-08-2010, 01:05 PM
A bad team? We're one of the hottest team in the league right now- Winners of 10 of las 11 games. Get your facts straight.:facepalm:
With the exception of @ New Orleans, they haven't played good teams during their win streak, but that doesn't matter at this point. 13-9 isn't a bad record imo

thekmp211
12-08-2010, 01:07 PM
the fact that nash is still plugging away at this level is pretty insane. i think we take it for granted

pebloemer
12-08-2010, 01:19 PM
It's actually not the stats of either that is surprising. And quite frankly, it is hard to be surprised by Nash anymore. He has adapted to many situations in his career.

The leadership shown from Amar'e and the ownership he has taken for his team has been most surprising for me. He is showing a lot fo poise and competitiveness which I definitely think has led to a confident Knicks team. His defense has been better than I expected it to be too. At least in the few Knicks games I watched...

BGeer091
12-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Yeah idk where the Amare isnt a leader is coming from. When we were about to go on a west coast trip. We had lost a few games in a row and looked like a horrible team with no chemistry. Amare called out his teammates, and showed leadership by getting his teammates heads on straight, and leading by example..

Amare is definitely having a better year so far. But its really one of those arguments where both are absolutely carrying there teams in their own ways.

NewKnicksFan
12-08-2010, 01:50 PM
limited sample size, soft schedule, and i dont know if YOU'VE actually watched amare that much, aside from these 20 games.

dispute it however you want, say you've had a lot of back to backs, close games, ect. you will see amare get back to playing no D and rebounding minimally for his paycheck soon enough. he's great half the time, and he's frustrating half the time. when you watch him for a season or two you'll realize this, i promise.

i love amare, but he's not a leader.

I live in Phoenix and have watched 100's of Amare's games as a Sun. I wasn't a huge fan overall of STAT because of his lack of leadership, defense and rebounding. But with the Knicks... he really has been a leader. Like another poster mentioned on here, they had a 3 game losing streak, and it was Amare who stepped up and called his teammates out. The NYC media is brutal and even they are giving props for Amare's leadership.

Amare's talent, production or leadership has been even more than the Knicks expected so far. The big question will be health over this five year $100 million dollar contract!

Giaps
12-08-2010, 02:28 PM
The fact that everybody criticized and questioned STAT playing without Nash and basically made it out to be like he was nothing without Nash...

You gotta tip your hat to STAT.

poleandreel
12-08-2010, 02:45 PM
neither. Nash is and has always been amazing with terrible players.

amare lost nash but has felton who is having an oustanding year. had felton not been signed and duhon was still there, i would expect amare to be having a very different year

Brooklyn Mets
12-08-2010, 02:47 PM
stat city

NYY 26 to 7
12-08-2010, 02:48 PM
With the exception of @ New Orleans, they haven't played good teams during their win streak, but that doesn't matter at this point. 13-9 isn't a bad record imo

Yea so we are beating teams we should. We are not saying that the Knicks are elite but the last time we were over .500 this late in the season Lenny Wilkens was the coach. Most road wins in the NBA. Pretty solid so far I would say and I didn't realize that there was still so much Amar'e hate. I think Amar'e is the most surpurising - I didn't realize he was this good. But for those who think for a second that the Knicks aren't riding on Amar'e's shoulders you need to actually watch a knicks game. The man is a beast and it is no fluke. December will be very tough for the Knicks with a hard schedule comming up but Amar'e has put them in a better position than they have been in a long time to win some of these games.

NYY 26 to 7
12-08-2010, 02:51 PM
neither. Nash is and has always been amazing with terrible players.

amare lost nash but has felton who is having an oustanding year. had felton not been signed and duhon was still there, i would expect amare to be having a very different year

Come on now. So Felton is now the reason for Amar'es success? How bad does it hurt people to give respect to a man doing work. Felton is having a great year and has been quite impressive but Amar'e is a great player regardless. The combo though together improves chances for W's for sure.

Giaps
12-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Come on now. So Felton is now the reason for Amar'es success? How bad does it hurt people to give respect to a man doing work. Felton is having a great year and has been quite impressive but Amar'e is a great player regardless. The combo though together improves chances for W's for sure.
It's always going to be something else... no point in arguing.

poleandreel
12-08-2010, 02:56 PM

lol bro i live in new york and have always been a fan of the knicks. i watch every game and its pretty obvious that without a play making pg amare cant create for himself. he has the worst handles and always forces shots. he relys on his jumper when felton is on the bench because he cant do anything by himself. he has been amazing no doubt but he is a horrendous rebounder. he should be up around 12-13 because the knicks have no center. and he gets no easy offensive put backs because all of his rebounds are defensive

Flustered
12-08-2010, 03:11 PM
I'm still quite confused why everyone passed up on Amare during free agency. Feels like the knicks were the only team interested despite how beastly he was during the regular season.

Ty Fast
12-08-2010, 05:34 PM

plus they are winning. it is one thing to put up numbers, but to do it while your team wins is another thing.

JordansBulls
12-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Nash because I knew Amare was already good before Nash came around.

sunnydayin'zona
12-10-2010, 12:38 AM
I'm still quite confused why everyone passed up on Amare during free agency. Feels like the knicks were the only team interested despite how beastly he was during the regular season.

i dont know that anyone really passed on him, suns and knicks were his first options. knicks gave him the max, made him THE guy, had his old coach, the big city, what else would he want?

JordansBulls
12-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Knicks gave Amare the max immediately so he took it.