PDA

View Full Version : Mets, Red Sox Talking Beltran

North Country
12-08-2010, 01:19 AM
#Red Sox-#Mets met again tonight on Carlos Beltran

http://twitter.com/nickcafardo/status/12367783127949312

Jakyle
12-08-2010, 01:25 AM
Boston's lineup would be just too dirty.

hugepatsfan
12-08-2010, 01:25 AM
Beltran would be a great fit. I know you like Cam, but he is not a daily #6 hitter. If he is part of a platoon, the problem of having too many lefty hitters in a row will still be there for BOS late in games.

abe_froman
12-08-2010, 01:28 AM
that could end up being on scary lineup ,wow

AI
12-08-2010, 01:29 AM
Projected Lineup w/ Beltran

1. Jacoby Ellsbury (CF)
2. Dustin Pedroia (2B)
3. Adrian Gonzalez (1B)
4. Kevin Youkilis (3B)
5. David Ortiz (DH)
6. Carlos Beltran (LF)
7. J.D. Drew (RF)
8. Jed Lowrie (SS)
9. Jarrod Saltalamacchia (C)

Looks real good and we still could get Russell Martin, he'd bat 8th with whoever is playing SS batting 9th.

Jakyle
12-08-2010, 01:30 AM
Beltran would be a great fit. I know you like Cam, but he is not a daily #6 hitter. If he is part of a platoon, the problem of having too many lefty hitters in a row will still be there for BOS late in games.

He is a SH, Theo said the bench can be his outlet for RH's.

redsox0717
12-08-2010, 01:31 AM
I wonder what NY's asking price is.

North Country

I like Cameron in a platoon role because he mashes lefties. I don't think he'd be able to play a full season though.

Jeffy25
Yeah, I saw this, it would be great for Boston

AI
12-08-2010, 01:36 AM
I wonder what NY's asking price is.

While appearing on MLB Network moments ago Peter Gammons revealed that the Red Sox “continue to talk to the Mets” about Carlos Beltran.

The relationship between Beltran and the Mets is not great. He’s not going to play in the outfield for 150 games and there are still hard feelings between ownership and Scott Boras because of the operation Beltran had a year ago.
Gammons speculated that the Mets could offer to cover about $10 million of Beltran’s salary in an effort to move him, either by sending cash in a trade or taking back another team’s unwanted contract.

If the Mets pay $10M of his remaining salary, I could see something getting done.

redsox0717
12-08-2010, 01:37 AM
If the Mets pay $10M of his remaining salary, I could see something getting done.

Yeah I realize that would be part of the deal, but I wonder what players the Mets are asking for. I wouldn't do Dice K. Maybe Bowden and Scutaro.

More-Than-Most
12-08-2010, 01:42 AM
Not sure why the Mets would do this... Maybe it would be better to wait for the trade deadline and hope he comes out on fire to up the price... Right now his value is pretty low and they might not get much back for him.

Nymfan87
12-08-2010, 01:43 AM
I'd imagine the Mets wouldn't be particularly interested in someone like Scutaro (older guys who won't help the team past 2011)--it wouldn't surprise me if the Mets are asking for Lowrie.

Pittz
12-08-2010, 01:49 AM
Is there any chance Beltran will be considered type A or type B?

AI
12-08-2010, 01:49 AM
Yeah I realize that would be part of the deal, but I wonder what players the Mets are asking for. I wouldn't do Dice K. Maybe Bowden and Scutaro.

We can't trade Scutaro, outside of him and Lowrie we have no real options at SS. Both are to valuable to trade.

Not sure why the Mets would do this... Maybe it would be better to wait for the trade deadline and hope he comes out on fire to up the price... Right now his value is pretty low and they might not get much back for him.

They are not trying to get equal value for the old "Beltran", they are looking for payroll flexibility.

I'd imagine the Mets wouldn't be particularly interested in someone like Scutaro (older guys who won't help the team past 2011)--it wouldn't surprise me if the Mets are asking for Lowrie.

As I said, they are looking for payroll flexibility. Beltran is due $18.5 million in 2011. Trading him to a team and eating a portion of his salary gives you that flexibility the Mets are looking for. I'm sure they have talked about bad contracts for bad contracts but our bad contracts - Dice K and Drew - actually play key roles for our 2011 team. (Dice-K is our 5th starter and Drew our starting RF)

Station 13
12-08-2010, 01:51 AM
Is there any chance Beltran will be considered type A or type B?

Can't be offer arbitration.

CityofTreez
12-08-2010, 01:51 AM
Would be a huge move from a new FO to move Beltran so quickly

F*(&"Next Year"
12-08-2010, 01:53 AM
We can't trade Scutaro, outside of him and Lowrie we have no real options at SS. Both are to valuable to trade.

They are not trying to get equal value for the old "Beltran", they are looking for payroll flexibility.

As I said, they are looking for payroll flexibility. Beltran is due $18.5 million in 2011. Trading him to a team and eating a portion of his salary gives you that flexibility the Mets are looking for. I'm sure they have talked about bad contracts for bad contracts but our bad contracts - Dice K and Drew - actually play key roles for our 2011 team. (Dice-K is our 5th starter and Drew our starting RF)
Dice-K is fairly replaceable with Doubront though.

IF we parted with a SS, i would assume Jose Reyes would be the next met on the block?

Celtic AL
12-08-2010, 01:53 AM
New Team + New Ball Park + Contract year + Scott Boras = Monster Year

AI
12-08-2010, 01:56 AM
Dice-K is fairly replaceable with Doubront though.

IF we parted with a SS, i would assume Jose Reyes would be the next met on the block?

I'm not so sure about that though, if deemed ready then go ahead but I wouldn't want to trade Dice-K for Beltran especially since Dice-K's value is at an all time low right now. I think we should keep on to Dice-K, he is a good #5 option for us right now, I wouldn't touch our rotation I would leave it as is.

I believe Lackey, Beckett and Dice-K are due to bounce back this year.

More-Than-Most
12-08-2010, 01:58 AM

Its still not a smart move by the front office considering they will end up paying 10 mill of the salary...Best bet would be to take a risk and hope he goes back to the pre injury beltran and trade him at the deadline for much more than they will get now... also trading him at the deadline they would owe him 9 of the 18 mill and another team could pick that up... Teams get desperate during the deadline. The risk of waiting might be worth it depending on the package they get back right now.

lavell12
12-08-2010, 02:01 AM
So can Beltran still play CF everyday? If So I hope the Braves are interested.

AI
12-08-2010, 02:01 AM
Its still not a smart move by the front office considering they will end up paying 10 mill of the salary...Best bet would be to take a risk and hope he goes back to the pre injury beltran and trade him at the deadline for much more than they will get now... also trading him at the deadline they would owe him 9 of the 18 mill and another team could pick that up... Teams get desperate during the deadline. The risk of waiting might be worth it depending on the package they get back right now.

I say payroll flexibility > the risk.

Beltran may return to the Beltran of old, but what if he gets injured? Then no team will want him and your stuck paying $18.5M for a declining player on the DL. That's a tough price to pay for hoping he returns to his old-self.

Nymfan87
12-08-2010, 02:03 AM

No, they're not looking for payroll flexibility. They aren't going to give away Carlos Beltran so they can sign a few average players with the $8.5 million they saved. This is a New York team we're talking about after all, not the Royals. They are simply looking for the most value they can get for him that can help the win in 2012 and beyond, not for money or a one year quick fix.

If you look at Beltran's September numbers, which is when his knee was finally getting better, you'll see that he's not washed up. He could very easily put up a 4-5 WAR season next year.

AI
12-08-2010, 02:08 AM
No, they're not looking for payroll flexibility. They aren't going to give away Carlos Beltran so they can sign a few average players with the $8.5 million they saved. This is a New York team we're talking about after all, not the Royals. They are simply looking for the most value they can get for him that can help the win in 2012 and beyond, not for money or a one year quick fix.

If you look at Beltran's September numbers, which is when his knee was finally getting better, you'll see that he's not washed up. He could very easily put up a 4-5 WAR season next year.

That's exactly what the Mets have been rumored to be wanting to do.

I know Beltran had a great September line, but he did get injured again. Face it, Beltran at this age is "injury prone" and at the price you guys are going to pay for an OF that can no longer be an everyday player, you should look to move him, create some payroll flexibility to bring in another player that may not be as talented as Beltran was, but he can be an everyday player and contribute whereas Beltran at this point in his career is none other than a platoon player. He could flourish in Fenway because we'd play in LF so he wouldn't have much ground to cover, but still, he'd play in a platoon role over here.

jetsfan89
12-08-2010, 02:12 AM

I know Beltran had a great September line, but he did get injured again. Face it, Beltran at this age is "injury prone" and at the price you guys are going to pay for an OF that can no longer be an everyday player, you should look to move him, create some payroll flexibility to bring in another player that may not be as talented as Beltran was, but he can be an everyday player and contribute whereas Beltran at this point in his career is none other than a platoon player. He could flourish in Fenway because we'd play in LF so he wouldn't have much ground to cover, but still, he'd play in a platoon role over here.

doesn't mean they'll actually do it.

i'd have to think sandy alderson will wait till the trade deadline to trade beltran where his value will likely be higher as opposed to simply trading him now to get a few average players for a year where everyone knows the mets won't compete.

Celtic AL
12-08-2010, 02:12 AM
all ik is he has a bad relationship with the team. but i wouldnt be surprise this rumor dies

Nymfan87
12-08-2010, 02:13 AM

I have not seen a single rumor stating that the Mets wanted to pay another team to take Beltran off their hands. If another team wanted to eat the entire $18.5 million salary, I'm sure the Mets would gladly give him away for free, but they aren't going to give him away and eat money.

Beltran did not get injured again in September, the Mets shut him down because his knee was swollen. So your plan is that the Mets should trade Beltran and $10 million dollars for nothing, then used the $8.5 million saved to get a replacement who is not as good as Beltran? For a player as washed up as you claim Beltran is, you sure seem to want him pretty badly. Most Sox fans are penciling him in as your starting LF and #6 hitter; I fail to see how that is a platoon player.

jetsfan89
12-08-2010, 02:14 AM
all ik is he has a bad relationship with the team. but i wouldnt be surprise this rumor dies

no he doesn't. what that report says is false imo. he's mentioned it plenty of times that he wants to finish his career with the mets, even though that likely won't happen.

hugepatsfan
12-08-2010, 02:14 AM
I think playing LF in Fenway as opposed to CF in Citi would be huge for Beltran.

Celtic AL
12-08-2010, 02:15 AM
no he doesn't. what that report says is false imo. he's mentioned it plenty of times that he wants to finish his career with the mets, even though that likely won't happen.

ok

tc2deuce
12-08-2010, 02:16 AM
his knees worry me

mttwlsn16
12-08-2010, 02:31 AM
New Team + New Ball Park + Contract year + Scott Boras = Monster Year

= injured and plays approximately 50 games, so if you want him by all means hes all yours

akay47
12-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Give me Ellsbury and you can have Beltran

byan04
12-08-2010, 03:33 AM
oh yeah guess whos still in the running for carl crawford.......THE REDSOX.!! but in my opinion..crawford may go to angels..angels are in the running to get lee..the sox just like to drive up prices to enquire about players....i dont see us signing lee or crawford.. although if we could get lee and get rid of dice-k that would be the most amazing rotation ever..

byan04
12-08-2010, 04:22 AM
do u think beltran would be a good fit with boston.. im thinking better off at fenway than with the mets..and it seemed to me he as starting to get going at the end of the year .. i wonder how hed do fully healthy

bklynny67
12-08-2010, 04:25 AM
i think he would be better with BOS, definitely. any player would put up better numbers in BOS than at Citi. i'm hoping the Mets at least get some good young player who can help for the next several yrs (Ellsbury, Bard, Lowrie).. just to name a few... doubt they will give up Ellsbury though..

byan04
12-08-2010, 04:27 AM
id like to see a beltran ellsbury outfield.... even ells and crawford that would be about maybe 150 steals per..

bklynny67
12-08-2010, 04:36 AM
id like to see a beltran ellsbury outfield.... even ells and crawford that would be about maybe 150 steals per..

150 steals btw ellsbury and crawford? thats 75 each.. lol i dont know about that. but i think Beltran would be great in BOS. i dont see any reason why the mets will keep him all yr. they wouldnt benefit at all by letting his contract expire. might as well get something in return.

byan04
12-08-2010, 04:45 AM
might as well trade dice-k or scutaro and bowden for him.. or trade dice-k and others for ethier

byan04
12-08-2010, 04:46 AM
haha well maybe 60 a piece. then .. i could see that being very dangerous .. running more than the rays did last year on the sox

metsbulls1025
12-08-2010, 04:56 AM

With the deal of Scutaro and Dice K coming to us ( which was the two names mentioned ) why would we also pay 10 million dollars? Beltran makes 18.5 million and Dice K and Scutaro make 15 million. In what world does it makes sense to send the Red Sox an extra 10 million dollars when we get a player that is just as injury prone as Beltran and Marco Scutaro who speaks for himself.

Kashmir13579
12-08-2010, 04:59 AM
Angel Pagan is much better.. good riddance.

daisuke4cy
12-08-2010, 05:00 AM
i think he would be better with BOS, definitely. any player would put up better numbers in BOS than at Citi. i'm hoping the Mets at least get some good young player who can help for the next several yrs (Ellsbury, Bard, Lowrie).. just to name a few... doubt they will give up Ellsbury though..

Only way you could get bard or ellsbury is if wright or reyes was involved. I dont think you want that.

metsbulls1025
12-08-2010, 05:00 AM
For the people that think we should wait to the deadline it is a bit risky don't you think? What if he gets injured in June. Then not only can't you trade him, but he won't get you a pick back because he can't be offered arbitration. If we can get something decent now I would take it. With his recent problems I wouldn't count on him just tearing the cover off the ball all year.

byan04
12-08-2010, 05:04 AM
u never know he could resurrect his career with the sox at fenway ..and be way better off platooning with someone ..like cameron.. in left or with ellsbury ..if he stays in left

RangersMets
12-08-2010, 05:30 AM
First off, no no and no to the person who brought Wright and/or Reyes into this conversation.

Beltran is not going to be fetched for some veteran players that hold little to no value for this team past the 2011 season.

My opinion, Alderson is testing the market and if he sees something that he absolutely likes then he will pull the trigger, otherwise he isn't going to throw someone like Beltran, or any Met for that matter, away.

He didn't come in here to make rash decisions from the get-go. If he can get a solid package to help this team build for the future then he is going to take it.

Alderson has never been the type of GM/Assistant GM/Anything to make an miscalculated move simply to 'shake things up a bit.' That is something that definitely needs to be taken into account since he just landed possibly the biggest job of his life and he does not want to squander his relationship with management and the fans by trading away what once was, and could still possibly be, a major piece of the organization.

All in all, unless the Red Sox are willing to part with a player or two that could help build the Mets for the future, and not just some salary dump, I do not see a trade happening this off season. However, the trade deadline is a completely different story.

byan04
12-08-2010, 05:41 AM
if the redsox didnt get agon.. they couldve had yook play first like the gold glover he is ..and maybe traded for david wright ...but i dont see the sox doing that now that yook is playin third.. prob.. and beltre gone.. who knows now..

RangersMets
12-08-2010, 05:44 AM
if the redsox didnt get agon.. they couldve had yook play first like the gold glover he is ..and maybe traded for david wright ...but i dont see the sox doing that now that yook is playin third.. prob.. and beltre gone.. who knows now..

You are awarded zero points for this post. Thanks for contributing.

bklynny67
12-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Only way you could get bard or ellsbury is if wright or reyes was involved. I dont think you want that.

WHAT???? Wright or Reyes for Bard or Ellsbury?? LOL

Wright > Bard
Wright > Ellsbury
Reyes > Bard
Reyes > Ellsbury

so no.. it would take less than Wright or Reyes to get one of those 2. maybe Beltran isnt enough, i can agree with that.. but u just talkin crazy if u think the mets wouldnt get raped in a deal that was Wright or Reyes for Bard or Ellsbury. plus, i dont care how good Bard is. so far he's just a middle reliever. u should be ashamed to even mention that it would take a perennial allstar caliber player who's top 5 maybe top 3 at his position for him.

magichatnumber9
12-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Queens NY New England is not done ****ing you yet.

daisuke4cy
12-08-2010, 07:49 AM

Wright > Bard
Wright > Ellsbury
Reyes > Bard
Reyes > Ellsbury

so no.. it would take less than Wright or Reyes to get one of those 2. maybe Beltran isnt enough, i can agree with that.. but u just talkin crazy if u think the mets wouldnt get raped in a deal that was Wright or Reyes for Bard or Ellsbury. plus, i dont care how good Bard is. so far he's just a middle reliever. u should be ashamed to even mention that it would take a perennial allstar caliber player who's top 5 maybe top 3 at his position for him.

I know a trade like that wouldent happen. It wasent a serious statement. But you even having a thought of bard or Ellsbury for Beltran is quite laughable.

AI
12-08-2010, 08:28 AM

Wright > Bard
Wright > Ellsbury
Reyes > Bard
Reyes > Ellsbury

Jose Reyes is 1 year away from becoming a FA and is owed $14M this year. I know you might "think" that Reyes > Bard & Ellsbury, but not really.

bagwell368
12-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Gammons said last night on the late NESN show that Beltran to NYM isn't happening at least for now. And that Theo doesn't want to deal Dice.

The proposed deal of Beltran + $M for Dice and Scutaro was ridiculous. Beltran has a what? 40% of being better then a 3.5 WAR player in 2011. Dice has a 70% shot at being a 4.5+ SP in the NL in '11 and '12 combined, and Scutaro was on his way to a 4.0 WAR season when he sustained two injuries and kept playing which diminished his line for the year. Take a look at Scutaro's first 100 games last year before anyone views him as a "toss-in".

j/m_ets
12-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Gammons said last night on the late NESN show that Beltran to NYM isn't happening at least for now. And that Theo doesn't want to deal Dice.

The proposed deal of Beltran + $M for Dice and Scutaro was ridiculous. Beltran has a what? 40% of being better then a 3.5 WAR player in 2011. Dice has a 70% shot at being a 4.5+ SP in the NL in '11 and '12 combined, and Scutaro was on his way to a 4.0 WAR season when he sustained two injuries and kept playing which diminished his line for the year. Take a look at Scutaro's first 100 games last year before anyone views him as a "toss-in".

I have ben saying to met fans how they under rate scutaro ... Alot of them dont even want them they are crazy this guy would be sick at 2nd for the mets imo.

NYYrdbest
12-08-2010, 10:29 AM

1. Jacoby Ellsbury (CF)
2. Dustin Pedroia (2B)
3. Adrian Gonzalez (1B)
4. Kevin Youkilis (3B)
5. David Ortiz (DH)
6. Carlos Beltran (LF)
7. J.D. Drew (RF)
8. Jed Lowrie (SS)

Looks real good and we still could get Russell Martin, he'd bat 8th with whoever is playing SS batting 9th.

> This line up is scary and better than the current Yankees!

GrkGawdofWalkz
12-08-2010, 12:37 PM
There is no basis for this. There has not even been more than looking into all options in anything Red Sox related. 33 year old outfielder with shakey knees. Pass, moving on.

el_primo_nano
12-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Yes please get him so you can have another hole in the lineup after he goes down because of knee problems..

Bo Sox Fan
12-08-2010, 02:08 PM

1. Jacoby Ellsbury (CF)
2. Dustin Pedroia (2B)
3. Adrian Gonzalez (1B)
4. Kevin Youkilis (3B)
5. David Ortiz (DH)
6. Carlos Beltran (LF)
7. J.D. Drew (RF)
8. Jed Lowrie (SS)

:drool:

That is exactly how I had it written up in the Red Sox forum, and it's absolutely downright nasty. The New York Yankees would get blasted everytime the Beantown Bombers were in town to play in the childs park of New Yankee Stadium.

There is a very good chance Theo scoops up Russel Martin as well to platoon with Salty as Varitek is simply a mentor/3rd string catcher at this point in his career.

Anyways this team is shaping up very nicely with or without Beltran. The starting pitching is set along with the starting line-up, last up.... the bull-pen! :up:

GrkGawdofWalkz
12-08-2010, 02:23 PM
People must be thinking of Astros, first two season Mets. This isn't the same player. :|

mr.mets stepson
12-08-2010, 06:12 PM
i was reading that the mets have mentioned dice k for beltran straight up, seeing they make similar money... i for 1 would rather keep beltran he is playing for a contract which usually means big numbers. give me your thoughts

nithanyo
12-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Dicek imo still can be a solid mid rotation guy

mr.mets stepson
12-08-2010, 06:19 PM
i hear ya but if we are giving up a possible game changer then i would want more back in return.

F*(&"Next Year"
12-08-2010, 06:19 PM
links? or are you just talking about old news?

The Jokemaker
12-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Yes but are these legs plagued by knee injuries?

F*(&"Next Year"
12-08-2010, 06:25 PM

They hell with that, this deal is crap unless they atleast include his arms.... His head might be asking a bit much though.

bosox3431
12-08-2010, 06:35 PM
i was reading that the mets have mentioned dice k for beltran straight up, seeing they make similar money... i for 1 would rather keep beltran he is playing for a contract which usually means big numbers. give me your thoughts

They don't make close to the same amount of money. Beltran has atleast 10'mil on him

yankkiller
12-08-2010, 06:53 PM
you know what would be better if we platoon ellsbury while he can give all three outfielders a rest here and there, and be a late inning guy if we need a SB, trade for beltran, and sign both maggs and martin that would be a sick lineup. here are some of the lineups you could see if that ever happened.

1 SS Scuturo LF Ellsbury CF Ellsbury CF Ellsbury LF Ellsbury
2 2B Pedroia 2B Pedroia 2B Pedroia 2B Pedroia 2B Pedroia
3 1B Gonzalez 1B Gonzalez 1B Gonzalez 1B Gonzalez 1B Gonzalez
4 3B Youkillis 3B Youkillis 3B Youkillis 3B Youkillis 3B Youkillis
5 DH Ortiz DH Ortiz DH Ortiz DH Beltran CF Beltran
6 LF Maggs CF Beltran LF Maggs LF Maggs DH Maggs
7 CF Beltran RF Drew RF Drew RF Drew RF Drew
8 C Martin C Salty C Martin C Martin SS Lowrie
9 RF Drew SS Lowrie SS Lowrie SS Scuturo C Salty

Bench
C salty/tek
INF Lowrie
OF Ellsbury
OF Cameron

The Jokemaker
12-08-2010, 07:03 PM
I really don't understand why the Mets would trade Beltran at this point. After being patient with him during his injuries why not at least give the man the season to play and see how he does? If the Mets are going to play well next season they need Beltran and need him to play well.

And I don't see Dice K as much of an upgrade. He has location issues and isn't a huge upgrade in the rotation, at least in my opinion.

The upside for Beltran seems higher than any upside of Dice K.

North Country
12-08-2010, 07:17 PM

He looked much better towards the end of last year when his knees had some time to heal from surgery. Sources with the Mets have said that his knees are in better shape than most people think and the Red Sox would be playing him in left field where he wouldn't need much range at Fenway.

It's definitely a risk that a knee issue pops up again. He only has one year left on his deal though so the risk is minimized quite a bit.

hugepatsfan
12-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Elsbury
Pedroia
AGon
Youk
Ortiz
Beltran
Drew
Salty/VTek
Lowrie/Scuturo

That would be one of, if not the best lineups in baseball.

North Country
12-08-2010, 07:27 PM
The upside for Beltran seems higher than any upside of Dice K.

Beltran is inherintly more valuable becuase he's a position player but I'd say their upside is pretty equal. Daisuke finished in the top 4 in Cy Young voting once and Beltran's finished in the top 4 in MVP voting once.

bagwell368
12-08-2010, 07:36 PM
i hear ya but if we are giving up a possible game changer then i would want more back in return.

Yeah, and 4 out 11 he spends 120 games or more on the DL... that's great.. I know, why don't you keep your injury riddled game changer in NY to go along with your injury riddled SS, and LF, and ace pitcher.

North Country
12-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah, and 4 out 11 he spend 120 games or more on the DL... that's great..

Huh?

Swishalicious
12-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Im glad this trade has legs, cause Beltran doesn't

North Country
12-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Im glad this trade has legs, cause Beltran doesn't

:laugh:

bklynny67
12-08-2010, 07:52 PM

i would definitely do a Beltran for DiceK trade straight up. my thinking is that in 2011 the Mets are not going to contend, and there's no way we have Beltran after 2011. DiceK has 2 yrs left so we would still have him for 2012 when we lose a lot of big contracts and can actually add some good players and try to make a run. plus, we're desparate for starting pitching and DiceK would benefit from pitching in the NL, especially at Citi.

it'd be sad to see Beltran go, but its inevitable after this yr anyway so i'd rather get a good player who could help in 2012.