PDA

View Full Version : NBA players vs other major sports

BoognishMN
12-07-2010, 01:40 PM
I don't want to sound like "square white guy," but why is the NBA such a player’s league? A few examples are Lebron bumping his coach, to a Rookie DeMarcus Cousins being a head case and fans saying it's the head coaches fault for not giving him more minutes, various head coaches being pushed out by the teams top player. My question is why the NBA is so different then other major sports? You'd never hear of that in the NFL or MLB, etc. There just seems to be a different vibe. Might not be thread worthy, but I was interested if others disagree or had a hypothisis as to why.

tbone2171
12-07-2010, 01:56 PM
The NBA has the smallest starting lineup (5)/game day roster (12) of the four major sports..Therefore it's the least "team"-oriented sport.

Korman12
12-07-2010, 02:03 PM
I don't feel, anymore, that NBA players do more (outside of trade demands, ugh) than players in the NFL. They bump heads, frustrate coaches and do those things too.

haggis
12-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't feel, anymore, that NBA players do more (outside of trade demands, ugh) than players in the NFL. They bump heads, frustrate coaches and do those things too.

but the NFL doesn't have guranteed contracts. so they'll just cut your ***...

Hawkeye15
12-07-2010, 03:07 PM
but the NFL doesn't have guranteed contracts. so they'll just cut your ***...

this. And for baseball, there are a ton more players on the field/roster. Basketball is the least of the major 4 in regards to "team" sport. So stars kind of run their teams in many cases. In the NFL, if someone messes up big time, they just cut him. Bye bye. In the NBA, when things are going bad, an owner see's he has cajillions locked up in the players, and only $2 million in the coach. Which one goes when a problem comes up? .............
Baseball as well. When a team is losing, losing, losing, the coach goes, and then in the offseason there are trades.

The NBA also has BY FAR the highest salaries for players. And we all know the more you get paid, the more control you have

ink
12-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Interesting thing is that basketball is less popular than the other team sports like baseball and football. I'm positive it's because the personalities in basketball are such a turn off. If you love the game, you're willing to plug your nose when you're watching a team with a jerk of a star or two. But a lot of people just find it stupid. The star factor dumbs down the sport in a huge way. Too bad.

n83417
12-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Because in Basketball, one player (LeBron in Cleveland) is the difference between being a contender, or a lottery team. If Cleveland wanted to trade LeBron for disciplinary reasons, it would be nearly impossible to work out a fair trade. You would get a good young player, a bunch of future picks, and some expiring salaries to make it balance out. Teams would rather stick with their problem child if they are winning, and deal with the off court issues.

LeBron in Cleveland was just an example. Substitute with Monta Ellis in GS, or whoever.

BoognishMN
12-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Interesting thing is that basketball is less popular than the other team sports like baseball and football. I'm positive it's because the personalities in basketball are such a turn off. If you love the game, you're willing to plug your nose when you're watching a team with a jerk of a star or two. But a lot of people just find it stupid. The star factor dumbs down the sport in a huge way. Too bad.

At some level this^ was in my thought process when I made the thread. The NBA has image issues with many people. The post Jordan generation: Antoine Walker, AI, Steve Francis, Stephon Marbury, Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, etc. really hurt the NBA.