PDA

View Full Version : Are the Utah Jazz good enough to come out the western this year?

TheHoopsProphet
12-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Al "colby-stopper" Jeffersin can't pick and roll the way Booze use too, but he has some very sobering post-moves that Booze didn't have, and is an overall better offending player and a bigger body for the playoff brackets. Sometimes when I see him do post moves I think "whoa, is that Hakeem Owolakandi out there? Sweet marian joseph!"

Deron has become mroe efficient with his assist to TO ratio too, and is still considered at worst a top3 point guard, probably not considered no.1 pg becuz of his not-sexy haircut.

And whatever Booze did, Paul "Gasol" Millsap is doing better, so they have the offensive and defensive prescencce downlow that most larry trophy contenders have plus the arguable best pg in the game.

Weak bench though. But lakers had weak bench last year too! What do u think guys? lets talk about this

John Walls Era
12-06-2010, 01:11 AM
Utah yes. Hornets no.

My Derron Williams better than CP3 bias aside; I just don't think the Hornets have good enough players. David West and Emeka are alright (borderline AS which are good when you have a good PG), but the rest of the team is meh.

210Don
12-06-2010, 01:12 AM
no no hornets definitely not lol jazz will always be a tough matchup. but cant beat the spurs lakers or mavs or even thunder

Baller1
12-06-2010, 01:16 AM
Hornets won't. They had a nice start, but they just don't have the talent to compete with LA, Dallas, OKC, Utah, or SA.

TheHoopsProphet
12-06-2010, 01:22 AM
can mods please delete new orleans in my title, i prefer naming all cities of franchizes, but they dont know utah is from new orealns. ok thks

210Don
12-06-2010, 01:24 AM
can mods please delete new orleans in my title, i prefer naming all cities of franchizes, but they dont know utah is from new orealns. ok thks

lol you were just talking about the jazz lmao!!!

LTBaByyy
12-06-2010, 01:28 AM

I know haha but he's from germany let's give him a break

He probably hasnt been on PSD since they moved to Utah

TheHoopsProphet
12-06-2010, 01:30 AM

u shut up!

210Don
12-06-2010, 01:31 AM
u shut up!

what i do? i found it funny...

TheHoopsProphet
12-06-2010, 01:41 AM
Utah yes. Hornets no.

My Derron Williams better than CP3 bias aside; I just don't think the Hornets have good enough players. David West and Emeka are alright (borderline AS which are good when you have a good PG), but the rest of the team is meh.

very true very wise very genius. but what about the jazz mr. wall?

Bruno
12-06-2010, 01:45 AM
They are great, but as of right now the Spurs look better than both of them. The Spurs spanked the Hornets tonight. IMO, only the Spurs have the talen, size and depth to seriously challenge the Lakers.

The Hornets would push a series with the Lakers to six, by default because of Chris Paul. Fast point guards burn the Lakers and Paul is the best of the bunch. The Jazz have been knocked out of the playoffs by the Lakers for three years in a row. I don't see that changing this year.

Jazz and Hornets are still behind the Spurs.

TheHoopsProphet
12-06-2010, 01:52 AM
They are great, but as of right now the Spurs look better than both of them. The Spurs spanked the Hornets tonight. IMO, only the Spurs have the talen, size and depth to seriously challenge the Lakers.

The Hornets would push a series with the Lakers to six, by default because of Chris Paul. Fast point guards burn the Lakers and Paul is the best of the bunch. The Jazz have been knocked out of the playoffs by the Lakers for three years in a row. I don't see that changing this year.

Jazz and Hornets are still behind the Spurs.

who was the last duke player to lead team to the pantheon of golden championships in the nba? thats right Sir Bruno, no one. Booze and the duke players that have precede him dont have the drive to win a titel, they play for contracts. business-minds. Alfred "colby stopper" Jeffersin is a nice change of paces, and he gives jazz new look to lakers. lakers may face same jerseys, but different players are wearing them.

thank you for your contributions to this thread, and keeping it on topic. i will buy u beer if u ever come to dusseldorf

shep33
12-06-2010, 02:00 AM
Jazz are solid. However, I can't put them up to beat the Lakers yet... I love Dwill but I believe the Lakeshow has beat them 4-2, 4-1, and 4-0 the past 3 years. Every team has a chance though. I think Utah matches up very well against the Spurs though. That series would be sweet.

Bruno
12-06-2010, 02:20 AM
who was the last duke player to lead team to the pantheon of golden championships in the nba? thats right Sir Bruno, no one. Booze and the duke players that have precede him dont have the drive to win a titel, they play for contracts. business-minds. Alfred "colby stopper" Jeffersin is a nice change of paces, and he gives jazz new look to lakers. lakers may face same jerseys, but different players are wearing them.

thank you for your contributions to this thread, and keeping it on topic. i will buy u beer if u ever come to dusseldorf

Don't get me wrong I enjoy Jefferson as a player over Boozer. But Jefferson shares the same weakness that Boozer does, height. Jefferson and Milsap are great, but I just don't think they have the size to over come the Lakers in a seven game series. 6'9 can only guard 7+ well for so long.

Jefferson, Bell, and whoever else is new to the team are nice additions, but they are large in part the same team, run by the same player, running the same system they've used for over 20 years under their coach.

TrueFan420
12-06-2010, 02:33 AM
^^^ jefferson is 6'10 or 6'11 not 6'9

eggy10
12-06-2010, 02:48 AM
Don't get me wrong I enjoy Jefferson as a player over Boozer. But Jefferson shares the same weakness that Boozer does, height. Jefferson and Milsap are great, but I just don't think they have the size to over come the Lakers in a seven game series. 6'9 can only guard 7+ well for so long.

Jefferson, Bell, and whoever else is new to the team are nice additions, but they are large in part the same team, run by the same player, running the same system they've used for over 20 years under their coach.

Jefferson has at least 2 inches on Boozer and is averaging over 1 block more a game than Boozer did last year. Also, Jefferson can actually score on Gasol unlike Boozer who would usually get shut down.... Then throw in having 6-11 Okur this year for the playoffs and we should have a WAY better chance.

TheHoopsProphet
12-06-2010, 03:16 AM
Jefferson has at least 2 inches on Boozer and is averaging over 1 block more a game than Boozer did last year. Also, Jefferson can actually score on Gasol unlike Boozer who would usually get shut down.... Then throw in having 6-11 Okur this year for the playoffs and we should have a WAY better chance.

yes, jazz flundered every playoffs because Booze was undersized and contending teams always have a big men to defend on their roster. And once Meme Ogor comes back and can space floor like Matt Boner then teams going to get raped. Drago is having comebacker year too.

This team is almost indensible if healthy.

The Will driving to the hole, sorry Derron Fisher youre a step to slow
You feel jiving and sound flow,
through Energy Solutions better than the Oracle.
Colby is buSY acting like he dont know me, wont guard me, wont show me respect just apathy.
He act like he dont owe me, but theres Meme on the corner for an open 3
Maybe it was skill, maybe Alfred Jefferson ate a four leaf clover,
either way, its okay, cause right now its GAME OVER

Bruno
12-06-2010, 03:18 AM

Jefferson is listed at 6'10, Boozer is listed at 6'9. It has been alluded to for years than Jefferson is shorter than he is listed. I'd agree that Jefferson is the better shot blocker, but he has never been that defensive anchor who opposing wings and guards are afraid to challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOZP_FJ7KvM

Footage of Jefferson vs. Utah. After the 1 minute mark there are examples of Boozer guarding Jefferson; they are essentially the same size, slight edge Jefferson.

I'd also agree that Utah would have a way better chance this year than last year. The Jazz haven't been full strength against the Lakers in the playoffs since 2007-2008. They were beat by the Lakers in six games, the Lakers didn't have Bynum or Ariza.

TheHoopsProphet
12-06-2010, 03:19 AM

p.s. thank u4 staying on topic and keeping this thread open. If you are in dusseldorf i buy you beer, and maybe let u pork my girlfriend. but it has to be Hefeweizen, and you cant do anal either.

Bruno
12-06-2010, 03:21 AM
^^^ jefferson is 6'10 or 6'11 not 6'9

He's listed at 6'10, they are essentially the same size. He might be slightly taller than Boozer, but Gasol and Bynum are seven footers.

jimbobjarree
12-06-2010, 03:22 AM
The Jazz never really start to get it together until after the new year, so whatever we do before then is a bonus. We've been playing some decent ball, but have some glaring flaws, especialy rebounding, that I dont expect to see come late season/playoffs. If thats the case once again this year, I think we can.

What I'm saying is, expect this team to get a lot better in the new year, so this thread is slightly premature. All the teams around them pretty much have the same roster as last season, while we had to completely gut ours and they're still getting accustomed....especialy Jefferson. Oh and Memo still needs to come back!

TheHoopsProphet
12-06-2010, 03:24 AM
Jefferson is listed at 6'10, Boozer is listed at 6'9. It has been alluded to for years than Jefferson is shorter than he is listed. I'd agree that Jefferson is the better shot blocker, but he has never been that defensive anchor who opposing wings and guards are afraid to challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOZP_FJ7KvM

Footage of Jefferson vs. Utah. After the 1 minute mark there are examples of Boozer guarding Jefferson; they are essentially the same size, slight edge Jefferson.

I'd also agree that Utah would have a way better chance this year than last year. The Jazz haven't been full strength against the Lakers in the playoffs since 2007-2008. They were beat by the Lakers in six games, the Lakers didn't have Bynum or Ariza.

a sertain big who was 69 also won 4 dpoyas, jeff may be same size but he players like hes a redwood tree, and Lumberjack Paul Gasol may have a blue ox in colby but he has no axe to chop down the Jefferson Airplane. Hite doesnt matter much, its mindset, Alfread plays like a legit seven feet, Booze plays like a baby

Bruno
12-06-2010, 03:29 AM
a sertain big who was 69 also won 4 dpoyas, jeff may be same size but he players like hes a redwood tree, and Lumberjack Paul Gasol may have a blue ox in colby but he has no axe to chop down the Jefferson Airplane. Hite doesnt matter much, its mindset, Alfread plays like a legit seven feet, Booze plays like a baby

Don't get me wrong, big Jefferson fan here. I'm just saying he's pretty much the same size as Boozer, with slightly better shot-blocking abilities.

Jefferson and Millsap:
http://www.tornbysports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/IMG_2633.jpg

Millsap and Boozer:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2499/3728897929_bb5fe33cbb.jpg

Both are slightly taller than P.M. Jefferson is slightly taller than Boozer, but not by much. My original point remains the same, can they defend two seven footers?

AK-47
12-06-2010, 09:13 AM
What about the lineup of...

PG: Dwill (6'3")
SG: AK47 (6'9")
SF: Millsap (6'8")
PF: Jefferson (6'10")
C: Okur (6'11")

I have been thinking about that, thats possibly the biggest quality lineup with Elson (7'0") and Fesenko (7'1") coming off the bench to help guard those 2 7 footers.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-06-2010, 10:42 AM
no, they still can't beat the lakers

John Walls Era
12-06-2010, 11:45 AM
very true very wise very genius. but what about the jazz mr. wall?

oops. Probably should've elaborated on my YES. I think the Jazz could certainly beat the Lakers. I don't think anyone can stop Al in the post and the Lakers could be in trouble without Bynum. Jazz have the PG and C advantage which could spell trouble for the Lakers. But then again, I would never doubt Kobe.

THE_FLASH_21
12-06-2010, 12:10 PM
no no hornets definitely not lol jazz will always be a tough matchup. but cant beat the spurs lakers or mavs or even thunder

Thunder and Mavs are having good years, The Thunder are too young still. One more year maybe. Mavs are good but Utah had that game. We match up good against them. Utah beats them 8 out of 10 times..

The West will go thru LA and maybe SA. But if Utah is ever going to do something it's going to be this year. Aging kobe ( but still the best player in the league IMO) , No Bynum, Gasol is not playing like he usually does.

If Utah gets out the west i hope people aren't shocked, cause they are super amazing this year! Dwill will make his case for MVP

THE_FLASH_21
12-06-2010, 12:12 PM
no, they still can't beat the lakers

Agreed but they wont dominate Utah with size no more.. Memo 7'1 K-El 7'0
Fez 7'0

Utah has a better chance this year then they have in a long time. If they meet in the WCF Utah might pull it off

D-Will4Prez
12-06-2010, 12:33 PM
We've got the potential to beat the Lakers, it's just a question of if we can pull it together come playoff time.

So far it seems like Al Jefferson actually plays better against better PF/Cs and has done well against Gasol in several games. Here is the Box Score (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201011260UTA.html) for the first Utah/LA game this season. Our problem with LA in the past was always giving up too many rebounds (especially offensive) and blocks. But as you can see in the box score we out rebounded them, Jefferson scored 20 on Gasol, and LA only had 2 blocks. None of these would have happened in ANY game vs LA in the past.

Dallas and San Antonio have been crazy so far this year though, I might be more worried about them than I am about LA. :hide:

tcav701
12-06-2010, 12:57 PM
We all know the Lakers are the favorites but I think the Jazz and the Spurs are HUGE threats to their crown.

The Jazz have some matchup nightmares for the Lakers and I refuse to count out the Spurs ANY year.

The Thunder and Mavs are popular picks and are very good teams. I think the Thunder are still one or two years away and I dont think the Mavs can get the defensive stops down the stretch to win playoff games IMO.

Either way, the Lakers can't win forever.

Punkindrublic03
12-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Jazz will win the west. They are finally winning on the road.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-06-2010, 01:39 PM
I think this one is precedented because the Jazz made a significant change to their roster overall.

not really

they lost boozer, matthews and korver and gained jefferson

tcav701
12-06-2010, 01:39 PM
What's with all these hype threads about proven playoff chokers recently?

They got rid of the playoff liability who know resides in Chi-town.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-06-2010, 02:01 PM
They got rid of the playoff liability who know resides in Chi-town.

not his problem that Gasol is a foot taller than him

b_russ
12-06-2010, 02:24 PM
I'd like to think so. Sloan has these guys overacheiving big time. When was the last time that anyone thought of Fransisco Elson as being productive or a good rotation player, or CJ Miles as a legit scoring threat, or Adrea Kirilenko as a 3-point shooter (42% on the season), or even Kyrylo Fesenko being decent? As a team they're beginning to learn how to play defense holding teams to low shooting percentages, something that they've never been considered good at.

I don't think on paper they're good enough to come out of the West, but if they continue to play their cards right it could happen.

TheHoopsProphet
12-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Jazz will win the west. They are finally winning on the road.

bold statement PunkinDublin!

is that u Charles?

TheHoopsProphet
12-06-2010, 08:51 PM
I'd like to think so. Sloan has these guys overacheiving big time. When was the last time that anyone thought of Fransisco Elson as being productive or a good rotation player, or CJ Miles as a legit scoring threat, or Adrea Kirilenko as a 3-point shooter (42% on the season), or even Kyrylo Fesenko being decent? As a team they're beginning to learn how to play defense holding teams to low shooting percentages, something that they've never been considered good at.

I don't think on paper they're good enough to come out of the West, but if they continue to play their cards right it could happen.

wasn't Ellison the guy who was given a 10 day contract by Jazz, then hit game winner shot against Lejams Cavs? the best comparison for the Jazz is to the NFLs Colts. both go by a system that makes it easier to insert guys in and owt of it without the whole plan being 2 badly comprimised

both Damian Williams and Pchove Manning have bad haircuts

TrueFan420
12-06-2010, 08:51 PM
if they had kept mathews then they would have won it all but they could still end up reppin the west

justinnum1
12-06-2010, 08:53 PM
No

TheHoopsProphet
12-06-2010, 08:53 PM
not his problem that Gasol is a foot taller than him

wont be alfred "colby stopper" jeffersin airplane's problem ether

drobe86
12-06-2010, 09:22 PM
No.... These guys have no size, and don't tell me about bums like Okur and Fesenko lol.... Jazz are the 2nd best team in the West behind the Mavs. It will be nice to see them in the WCF but they will bow out in 6

Ironman5219
12-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Its another year where the west is stacked: SA, Dallas, Utah, OKC, and LA are the top favorites but I could see Denver, Portland, New Oleans, or even Houston making a push. Its another Wild Wild West!

drobe86
12-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Its another year where the west is stacked: SA, Dallas, Utah, OKC, and LA are the top favorites but I could see Denver, Portland, New Oleans, or even Houston making a push. Its another Wild Wild West!

Houston, Portland and Denver are all garbage. New Orleans has already flamed out from their hot start....