PDA

View Full Version : Most Improved Player 2010

Bornknick73
12-05-2010, 02:22 PM
It is early but who would you guys pick as the MIP of 2010?

Trying not to be biased but im gonna have to go with...

Raymond Felton.

Hes exceeded all the expectations so far this year, and hes improved tremendously from last year.

Chacarron
12-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Roy Hibbert.

Niro
12-05-2010, 02:29 PM
hibbert, felton, the whole minny frontcourt and dorell wright (homer pick :D )

GodsSon
12-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Bargs?

Khalifa21
12-05-2010, 02:37 PM
I think Raymond Felton and Roy Hibbert are definitely two of the front runners if they keep up their play.

todu82
12-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Raymond Felton

KG4MVP
12-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Darko!! his entire nba career has been an afterthought and now he is a huge part of minnesotas starting lineup

knicks09
12-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Raymond Felton

lvlheaded
12-05-2010, 02:56 PM
The homer in me says Felton but Beasley has been very good this year also

jackdawson
12-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Michael Beasley. I think he is averaging ~22ppg from last year's ~14ppg and I see his numbers go up as the season goes by.

Khalifa21
12-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Damn, forgot about Beasley... Him and Love both deserve recognition.

sargon21
12-05-2010, 03:09 PM
westbrook, love, rose

NYKnicks4511
12-05-2010, 03:09 PM
sure Beasley and Love, Darko, etc deserve recognition, but right now I think Roy Hibbert and Ray Felton are two names that stick out more for MIP.

Both have led teams that have sucked weiner for the past few years to decent records thus far in the season.

Rego247
12-05-2010, 03:11 PM
the mansaap, lol.

Chucky Woods
12-05-2010, 03:17 PM
KEVIN LOVE
/thread

Khalifa21
12-05-2010, 03:23 PM
If you're gonna take records into account it's gotta be between Felton and Hibbert. Both have improved a huge amount and their teams are winning.

sargon21
12-05-2010, 03:26 PM
what about the players that made the jumps from stars to possibly superstars, like rose and westbrook?

THE GIPPER
12-05-2010, 03:28 PM
homer pick: arron afflalo

other: roy hibbert

Bornknick73
12-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Oh yeah Love and Beasley are beasting as well, they are definitely in the mix.

Bornknick73
12-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Rose and Westbrook are as close to established stars then MIP type players, so i wouldnt consider them

SanAntonioSpurs23
12-05-2010, 03:42 PM
I would go Roy Hibbert or Kevin Love TBH.

On the Spurs it is easily Richard Jefferson, and although his stats are not that much improved his play on both ends of the floor have been NIGHT and DAY. He is a HUGE rason why San Antonio has the best record n the NBA so far.

Bornknick73
12-05-2010, 03:44 PM
But if you take status and name recognition into account it would probably be Beasley.

J_M_B
12-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Michael Beasley

DwayneMVPwade
12-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Hibbert, Millsap, Beaseley, Felton

Hawkeye15
12-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Love is averaging 19.4/15.3 and on pace to average the most rebounds a game in a single season since Ben Wallace in 2002. I think it goes to him so far.

FadeAwayLikeMJ
12-05-2010, 05:01 PM
im goin wit Beasley

but i have a 'homer' pick too lol... Big Baby. his D has gotten better, so has the rebounding and his somewhat of an outside shot has gotten a lot better.

i vote Big Baby 6th Man of the Year too.

pujolsdabomb5
12-05-2010, 05:14 PM
beasley, i would say love and westbrook but they were up and coming stars who were destined to shine

asandhu23
12-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Dorell Wright. Jesus H Christ, he's improved

DeyAce
12-05-2010, 06:09 PM
felton, love, beasely

John Walls Era
12-05-2010, 06:11 PM
westbrook, love, rose

You do realize, getting the MIP isn't that good. You're basically spitting into the face of Rose's previous seasons. (exaggerated a bit)

dtmagnet
12-05-2010, 06:23 PM
If you're gonna take records into account it's gotta be between Felton and Hibbert. Both have improved a huge amount and their teams are winning.

This is an individual award records have nothing to do with it.

LakersMaster24
12-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Paul Millsap, DARKOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Felton,
homer pick: Shannon Brown, although he wasnt as good lately

NFLNBA
12-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Kevin Love, Shannon Brown, Hibbert

YankeeFan89
12-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Hibbert, Be easy, DJ Augustin

fadedmario
12-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Eric Gordon and Kevin Love

Baller1
12-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Kevin Love, Michael Beasley, Russell Westbrook, Darko Milicic, Raymond Felton, and Roy Hibbert.

Hawkeye15
12-05-2010, 07:16 PM
I would laugh soooooooo hard (at the situation, not any of you), if Darko continued this, and ended up a 16/8/2.8 center, and won MIP
It would just be ironic to the timeline of his criticism

wadecounty305
12-05-2010, 08:51 PM
dorrel wright or michael beasley

Chronz
12-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Beasley and Love? For what, theyve made modest strides in comparison to what MIP should stand for.

Mplsman
12-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Kevin Love.

what54!?
12-05-2010, 09:05 PM
kevin love
michael beasley
Dorrell Wright (two former heat heat players hahahaha :rolleyes: )
Roy Hibbert
Felton

Crackadalic
12-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Darko he went from bust to average thats a biggggggg improvement

checkit
12-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Hibbert, Wright, Beasley, Love...but I am really the most impressed by Hibbert.

s3antana5757
12-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Love

KnicksorBust
12-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Beasley and Love? For what, theyve made modest strides in comparison to what MIP should stand for.

He went from a 15ppg scorer to a 22ppg while raising his FG and 3pt percentages and getting to the foul line more consistently. That's significant.

Chronz
12-05-2010, 10:31 PM
He went from a 15ppg scorer to a 22ppg while raising his FG and 3pt percentages and getting to the foul line more consistently. That's significant.
Its not significant enough for MIP is what Im saying

What do you mean getting to the foul line more consistently? His FT/A per FGA are where they always have been, when you factor in how often he turns the ball over hes actually getting there less per possession.

Of course his PPG rose, hes chucking more than he ever has, that he raised his FG% is nice but his Off.RTG is only a point higher. I understand the fact that it didnt get worse with the increased burden is an accomplishment on its own but not the kind of leap an MIP gos through.

KnicksorBust
12-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Its not significant enough for MIP is what Im saying

What do you mean getting to the foul line more consistently? His FT/A per FGA are where they always have been, when you factor in how often he turns the ball over hes actually getting there less per possession.

Of course his PPG rose, hes chucking more than he ever has, that he raised his FG% is nice but his Off.RTG is only a point higher. I understand the fact that it didnt get worse with the increased burden is an accomplishment on its own but not the kind of leap an MIP gos through.

This would have been my reply. I always give #1 options like Kobe-Wade-LeBron-etc. some lee-way with their effeciency numbers because of the level of difficulty it takes for them to produce with defenses keying on them. Beasley's handling a greatly increased scoring load as the T-Wolves #1 option while shooting 47%/41%/71%. If he gets that FT% up where it belongs then he could end the year with a very nice TS%. Who would you prefer?

Chronz
12-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Guys who not only dramatically increased their scoring but their efficiency as well;

Horford
Hibbert
Milsap
Augustine
Westbrook
Eric Gordon
Rose

Guys who have blown up well beyond prior seasons output
Daniel Gibson
Scola

There are literally dozens of players who Id take before B-EZ and Love. These guys are making natural/gradual strides, its what I expected of them. True leaps are the kind of jumps that you dont see coming or at the least are statistically significant.

KnicksorBust
12-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Guys who not only dramatically increased their scoring but their efficiency as well;

Horford
Hibbert
Milsap
Augustine
Westbrook
Eric Gordon
Rose

Daniel Gibson
Scola

There are literally dozens of players who Id take before B-EZ and Love. These guys are making natural/gradual strides, its what I expected of them. True leaps are the kind of jumps that you dont see coming or at the least are statistically significant.

It's a good list. I'll take a thorough look at those tomorrow and reply. The bolded names actually caught me off guard so I'm interested to check them.

Hawkeye15
12-05-2010, 11:58 PM

Horford
Hibbert
Milsap
Augustine
Westbrook
Eric Gordon
Rose

Daniel Gibson
Scola

while I appreciate your injection of rational, since when have the voters of MIP given a **** about improved efficiency?

Love is a major candidate. We both know it was simply an increase in minutes and roll, and he has always produced efficiently. But going from 14-11, off the bench, to 19.4/15.3, with the first 30-30 game in 28 years, along with the first month in 19 years a player has gone for four 20-20 games, and the other ridiculous accomplishments Love has already produced, weigh in a bit heavier than somebody having an efficiency spike.

Remember how the awards in the NBA are given out. And put that into your thought process

Chronz
12-06-2010, 01:11 AM
while I appreciate your injection of rational, since when have the voters of MIP given a **** about improved efficiency?

Love is a major candidate. We both know it was simply an increase in minutes and roll, and he has always produced efficiently. But going from 14-11, off the bench, to 19.4/15.3, with the first 30-30 game in 28 years, along with the first month in 19 years a player has gone for four 20-20 games, and the other ridiculous accomplishments Love has already produced, weigh in a bit heavier than somebody having an efficiency spike.

Remember how the awards in the NBA are given out. And put that into your thought process
**** that, Im talking about the very definition of MIP. I could care less what the voters think, the MIP is a joke, every year there is more discreptancy among voters than any other award. Im not speaking to them, Im speaking to the posters who are making their own list. Believe me if I could I would talk to the voters about this issue.

But yes if you want to hear me say hes probably one of the names being mentioned among the ignoramus so be it.

Hawkeye15
12-06-2010, 04:21 AM
**** that, Im talking about the very definition of MIP. I could care less what the voters think, the MIP is a joke, every year there is more discreptancy among voters than any other award. Im not speaking to them, Im speaking to the posters who are making their own list. Believe me if I could I would talk to the voters about this issue.

But yes if you want to hear me say hes probably one of the names being mentioned among the ignoramus so be it.

then we agree. So start looking at real candidates. Voters don't care about efficiency spikes. They care about per game jumps, and espn mentions. You know this brother.

And don't act like Love isn't a worthy candidate in the slightest. Sure, both you and I knew Love was going to do this by just increasing his minutes, only his range and free throw percentage has improved. But with him leading the league in rebounding, and scoring nearly 20 a night, he is a shoe in for the conversation. Especially with that 30-30 game, and all the 20-20 records he is starting to meet/break

Baller1
12-06-2010, 04:28 AM
I still think Westbrook deserves it if I'm going to be honest, putting all bias aside. :shrug:

DerekRE_3
12-06-2010, 11:27 AM
It's a good list. I'll take a thorough look at those tomorrow and reply. The bolded names actually caught me off guard so I'm interested to check them.

DJ Augustin is actually leading the league in assist to turnover ratio, at least he was last time I checked. Now that I look at it, he probably isn't anymore. He was at over 5:1, now he's at 4.2:1.

allday823
12-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Love is averaging 19.4/15.3 and on pace to average the most rebounds a game in a single season since Ben Wallace in 2002. I think it goes to him so far.

How does it go to him so far he was the 5th overall pick everyone knew he was good and was going to get better and on top of that was expected to be the teams best player. For lack of a better word, the award has to go to someone that sucked or had less impact last year. I think Dorell Wright should win because he hasnt seen the light of day in miami, averaged like 5 points and 10 minutes a game and now averages 15 a game and is a solid starting small foward. Beasley has to be considered too hes been lights out this year. Felton really stepped his game up too.

omega raw
12-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Still pretty early.
Shannon Brown

Rex-Raptorz
12-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Eric Gordon nuff said end of discussion playing 1 extra minute and scoring 24.1, 3 and 4

PrettyBoyJ
12-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Kevin Love, Michael Beasley, Raymond Felton.. cant go wrong with either of them

Chronz
12-06-2010, 02:36 PM
then we agree. So start looking at real candidates. Voters don't care about efficiency spikes. They care about per game jumps, and espn mentions. You know this brother.

And don't act like Love isn't a worthy candidate in the slightest. Sure, both you and I knew Love was going to do this by just increasing his minutes, only his range and free throw percentage has improved. But with him leading the league in rebounding, and scoring nearly 20 a night, he is a shoe in for the conversation. Especially with that 30-30 game, and all the 20-20 records he is starting to meet/break
How about we focus on players who actually deserve the award instead of a mysterious criteria that doesnt appear to have any consistency to it.

PS Do you have a list of the voters? Im pretty sure some of them are statistically inclined so they arent all idiots.

ChiSox219
12-06-2010, 02:40 PM

Horford
Hibbert
Milsap
Augustine
Westbrook
Eric Gordon
Rose

Daniel Gibson
Scola

I vote Luis Scola

or Derrick Rose for developing a 3 ball :silly:

Sadds The Gr8
12-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Hibbert, Millsap, Augustine, Beasley, Love, Gordon, Felton (I know he's in D'antoni system and his stats are supposed to go up but still) should be the top candidates right now.

CityofTreez
12-06-2010, 02:44 PM

Horford
Hibbert
Milsap
Augustine
Westbrook
Eric Gordon
Rose

Daniel Gibson
Scola

All those mentioned are clear favorites to win the MIP. I would have to nominate either Millsap/Hibbert/Horford as the clear favorites.

Hawkeye15
12-06-2010, 03:53 PM
How does it go to him so far he was the 5th overall pick everyone knew he was good and was going to get better and on top of that was expected to be the teams best player. For lack of a better word, the award has to go to someone that sucked or had less impact last year. I think Dorell Wright should win because he hasnt seen the light of day in miami, averaged like 5 points and 10 minutes a game and now averages 15 a game and is a solid starting small foward. Beasley has to be considered too hes been lights out this year. Felton really stepped his game up too.

again, read above. It SHOULD go to someone who not only got more minutes, but was just flat out better. Love has certainly gotten better, but not to the degree some others have. He has always been good. But the award doesn't go to the right players most of the time. How did 28 year old Hedo Turdsofglue win it? Seriously?
You use the #5 pick theory on Love, and then add Beasley as one of your picks (when he hasn't really improved much, he is just getting a ton more shots).

With Love leading the league in rebounding by a huge margin, making every sports site's cover with 30-30 game, and countless other records he is starting to break (first player since Kevin Willis in 1991 to record 4 20-20 games in a month), etc, it will be tough to beat Love in this award if/when the Wolves get healthy and start winning some of these games they are losing last minute

Not saying its right. But you have to look at history of awards over what you feel the definition is.

Hawkeye15
12-06-2010, 03:58 PM
How about we focus on players who actually deserve the award instead of a mysterious criteria that doesnt appear to have any consistency to it.

PS Do you have a list of the voters? Im pretty sure some of them are statistically inclined so they arent all idiots.

I mean, I would rather focus on those who have a chance at it. I know its a panel of sportswriters, could find it I am sure, don't care to look it up.

But you nailed it dude. There is no consistency. Its another glamour award most the time. And when Love goes from being on the bench for the Wolves, to helping lead team USA to a gold (I know that isn't NBA, but its in their minds), and ends up all over the front of sports sites with a 30-30 game, and is grabbing rebounds like he is Ben Wallace from 2002, the sportswriters will get gaga over that.

Really, Love should win the, "I finally got some fkin minutes, so now everyone sees what I can do" award. But they don't have that one

Hawkeye15
12-06-2010, 04:03 PM
I vote Luis Scola

or Derrick Rose for developing a 3 ball :silly:

Don't get the Scola pick. He has had higher offensive ratings, and better rebounding years. Add into the fact that his team has turned into a pretty bad one, while he is supposedly having his "breakout year", and it doesnt bode well for him. He is also 30. They tend to give it to younger guys a lot of the time.

Not saying he doesn't belong in the conversation for knowledgeable NBA fans, just saying I doubt the national media picks up on him

Doogolas
12-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Are people seeing a different Darko than me or something?

He had three really good games, that's it. Since then he's played four games which have amounted to:

9.75/7.5/3.25/2.25
(PPG/RPG/APG/BPG)

That's not completely awful but it's not even remotely special. It's basically Taj Gibson.

FKNRUEHH925
12-06-2010, 04:58 PM
M. Ellis

ChiSox219
12-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Don't get the Scola pick. He has had higher offensive ratings, and better rebounding years. Add into the fact that his team has turned into a pretty bad one, while he is supposedly having his "breakout year", and it doesnt bode well for him. He is also 30. They tend to give it to younger guys a lot of the time.

Not saying he doesn't belong in the conversation for knowledgeable NBA fans, just saying I doubt the national media picks up on him

Who cares about the national media? They cater to the middle.

Scola's the #1 option for Houston his usage is way up and his turnover rate is the lowest of his career and among the best in the league.

He also went from having a negative APM last year to one of the best in the league this year.

VinceCarter
12-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Kris Humphries!!!!

Gotta show him some love especially if he keeps starting (and producing of course) if we end up trading Troy Murphy.

Hawkeye15
12-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Who cares about the national media? They cater to the middle.

Scola's the #1 option for Houston his usage is way up and his turnover rate is the lowest of his career and among the best in the league.

He also went from having a negative APM last year to one of the best in the league this year.

some of you are confusing my message. I am saying, its probably easier to talk about who WILL win it, not who SHOULD win. The voters have a history of not caring about efficiency spikes, and great years for older players unless it helps a team make a monster jump (see Hedo), and with Scola's team going from perennial playoff team to total lottery team with Scola as their #1 option, it aint gonna help the voters view on Scola. I am simply trying to inject some reality here, not arguing. I understand Scola is having by far his best year. But so is Kevin Love. While someone like you or Chronz would know, its simply gradual incline in a very good young player's career.

But think like one of the media drones that votes. Love is allllllll over every site nowadays for breaking records that havent been touched in years. He is averaging more rebounds than Dwight Howard ever has so far, while hitting three's, and chipping in nearly 20 a night.

I am honestly not being a homer here, but I think its Love's to lose at this rate. Long season ahead of us however. We shall see

Raph12
12-06-2010, 05:57 PM
If Westbrook keeps this up, he should win it hands down... Hibbert, Love and Scola are his competition.

jtrinaldi
12-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Luc richard mbah a moute!!!

jerz89
12-06-2010, 07:51 PM
love or brags

RedRicanoBx
12-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Beasley or felton

JJ_JKidd
12-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Beasley, Love, WestB

noteam
12-06-2010, 11:17 PM
beasley, love and westbrook are pretty obvious,

JaVale McGee is putting up some pretty good numbers, improving in all his stats except his awful free throw %.

nystandup
12-06-2010, 11:19 PM
rayyyymonnddd feltonnnnn

kurivaimu
12-07-2010, 04:01 PM
roy hibbert