PDA

View Full Version : Why Are The Spurs Still Starting Blair At Center?

JasonJohnHorn
12-04-2010, 02:14 AM
I'm a big fan ofn Blair. He had a great rookie season, and though he's been off to a slot start this year, I have confidence that he will come around and really contribute and make a difference in games down the stretch and even in the playoffs.

But that said, why are the Spurs starting him at center? He is too small to guard centers (and even some PF), and he's not getting starting minutes, and with McDysse, Bonner and Splitter all available to play center, why arent they rotating the minues at center and allowing Blair's energy to help the team coming of the bench?

Its hard to argue with their record right now, but I think they'd be even better if they changed up the rotation a bit.

Joshtd1
12-04-2010, 02:20 AM
Well I may be wrong, but my thinking is this: Bonner isn't starting caliber..he's not a very good defender or rebounder. McDyess is probably our best option right now starting next to Duncan, but Im sure Pop wants to limit his minutes as much as possible to keep him fresh for the playoffs. Splitter is the next most talented big man after TD, but Pop is trying to bring him along slowly so he can get used to the NBA and learn the defensive/offensive schemes. IMO he will probably be starting by after the all-star break, either him or Dice.

Also the reason Blair was so good last year was that he was coming off the bench with Manu, and that pick and roll was deadly. Now that both Blair and Manu are starting, Blair isnt going to get a lot of looks since he is their 5th option in that lineup. Plus last year off the bench, he was going against 2nd string bigs and he was able to play much better against them.

If/when Blair gets a respectable jump shot, he will be much better. He also needs to work on his pick and roll defense a bit...but he does have great hands at least.

Raph12
12-04-2010, 02:26 AM
When you're 16-3 you don't change anything, when the losses start pouring in, that's when you question your coaching decision.

OA SLAY
12-04-2010, 02:33 AM
What?

krest213
12-04-2010, 02:38 AM
I'm a big fan ofn Blair. He had a great rookie season, and though he's been off to a slot start this year, I have confidence that he will come around and really contribute and make a difference in games down the stretch and even in the playoffs.

But that said, why are the Spurs starting him at center? He is too small to guard centers (and even some PF), and he's not getting starting minutes, and with McDysse, Bonner and Splitter all available to play center, why arent they rotating the minues at center and allowing Blair's energy to help the team coming of the bench?

Its hard to argue with their record right now, but I think they'd be even better if they changed up the rotation a bit.

first off Are you a spurs fan?
if not.. then it's none of your biznes

I kidd

but on the real though. if it ain't broke
don't try to fix it.

jkcronyn
12-04-2010, 02:46 AM
this one time, i was a fan of the pistons. that summer we were like yo rasheed wallace, later champ. and then i was like hey this draft, hope we get a big man. then we drafted another shooting guard, and blair went second round. i was pretty excited about it

Geargo Wallace
12-04-2010, 03:19 AM
1. They're winning.
2. Duncan can guard other centers.

Sometimes we don't need to define positions so much.

dodie53
12-04-2010, 03:43 AM
duncan can guard the other team's center

Mavrix
12-04-2010, 03:49 AM
1. They're winning.
2. Duncan can guard other centers.

Sometimes we don't need to define positions so much.
This.

Storch
12-04-2010, 04:01 AM
There are very few teams with legit Centers that are scoring threats down low. Blair is good at what he does and that's hustling and rebounding. The spurs need that most. Even if they play the Lakers I can see Duncan on Gasol and Blair on Odom, no big deal.

Joshtd1
12-04-2010, 04:03 AM
There are very few teams with legit Centers that are scoring threats down low. Blair is good at what he does and that's hustling and rebounding. The spurs need that most. Even if they play the Lakers I can see Duncan on Gasol and Blair on Odom, no big deal.

Odom is too fast for Blair, Im sure Blair would get eaten. Last year Pop put RJ on him to cancel his speed advantage, Im sure he would do that again.

210Don
12-04-2010, 05:05 AM
we can match up with the lakers by the end of the year im sure tiago splitter will be starting hes 7 feet! lol

Blazers#1Fan
12-04-2010, 05:28 AM
Blair is starting because one word DEVELOPING!

JayW_1023
12-04-2010, 07:04 AM
Blair may not put up the same gaudy numbers as last year but he does alot of things well that doen't show up on the stat sheet. He gives us a great screener and has been great drawing charges this year.

ElMarroAfamado
12-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Blair is ok but any team with decent size up front is going to beat them the Spurs record is deceiving. i refuse to fall into the same ole season after season hype of "never count them out" because of their vets this n that...they are pretty done....when Matt Bonner is on your team that should tell ya something

Giraffes Rule
12-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Blair is ok but any team with decent size up front is going to beat them the Spurs record is deceiving. i refuse to fall into the same ole season after season hype of "never count them out" because of their vets this n that...they are pretty done....when Matt Bonner is on your team that should tell ya something

I would say the Magic have pretty good size up front, and the Spurs beat them.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kyby7pa0J81qzxzwwo1_500.gif

Joshtd1
12-04-2010, 04:27 PM
I would say the Magic have pretty good size up front, and the Spurs beat them.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kyby7pa0J81qzxzwwo1_500.gif

Don't pay attention to him, every time he posts about the Spurs its the same thing about how we are overrated and done and what not. I mean 16-3 is certainly overrated, specially with some of the teams we've beat that have had size.

bovice163
12-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Why not? It's only his sophomore season and he still has much room for improvement. He can rebound, bruise in the post, and isn't all that bad on defense. His post-game isn't bad, and having Timmy covering his flaws is just another reason why he starts. He's also quicker than any other big man the Spurs can put out at PF, so I don't really see why he wouldn't be starting.

JermanJaysFan
12-04-2010, 04:36 PM
You don't rebound with your head.

Hellcrooner
12-04-2010, 05:54 PM
splitter got hurt and they are developing him with patience like they did with tony and manu

Chronz
12-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Quick answer, they arent. Duncan starts at Center

As for your point, they have a plethora of bigs to throw out there depending on the matchups so one may get more PT than the other, I dont know why they settled on him as the starter but all of their bigs are near the same level of play from an impact standpoint so it doesnt really matter does it.

Chronz
12-04-2010, 06:22 PM
splitter got hurt and they are developing him with patience like they did with tony and manu

Didnt they start TP from day 1 as a teen?

mrblisterdundee
12-04-2010, 08:31 PM
He's better than McDyess, Bonner and Splitter at this point.

kblo247
12-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Odom is too fast for Blair, Im sure Blair would get eaten. Last year Pop put RJ on him to cancel his speed advantage, Im sure he would do that again.

You are correct as they would hide Blair on Artest like Utah did Milsap and Houston did Scola since he hasn't shown the ability to make them pay yet this year.

kblo247
12-04-2010, 08:51 PM

I know that he didn't start for 5 games as a rookie. I don't remember if those were the first 5 of his career though

Hawkeye15
12-04-2010, 08:56 PM
eh, Duncan guards opposing centers at times, and they have a rotation where who starts probably doesn't matter. As Splitter gets better, he will see more time there.

16-3. Its working

Giraffes Rule
12-04-2010, 09:57 PM

No, he backed up Antonio Daniels when he first got into the league. I don't think he was the starter until his second year.

Joshtd1
12-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Parker was actually backing up Terry Porter for a little while, then became the starter his rookie year.

DitchDat
12-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Realistically though, Blair is only starting at center on paper. Timmy is the center, Blair is the PF. But I agree, he is undersized and probably better suited as a banger off the bench, just like last year. I would like to see this different also, but it's hard to argue with the results.

SanAntonioSpurs23
12-05-2010, 04:04 PM
JoshTD pretty much summed up why Blairs starting.

Even with his height disadvantage he is still a better option over Bonner. Teams are exposing Blair on the defensive end though. Oposing PF's are taking it to Blair early and getting easy buckets. I'm sure Pop would like to start Dice but like Josh said he is limiting his minutes.

Hopefully Tiago catches on soon so he can be the starter.

jackdawson
12-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Because he's a great rebounder. And you don't worry about guarding other team's big-man when you have Tim Duncan on your team. I never question Pop's strategy. He is a genius.

tangent12
12-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Their record should provide you with the answer.

Ty Fast
12-05-2010, 04:30 PM
they have the best record in the nba so they must be doing something right.