PDA

View Full Version : NBA considers buying Hornets (ESPN)

Wade>You
12-03-2010, 11:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5881253
The NBA is weighing whether to buy the New Orleans Hornets from longtime owner George Shinn to have greater control over the permanent sale of the franchise, according to sources with knowledge of the league's thinking.

Two sources likened the NBA's potential involvement to Major League Baseball's purchase of the Montreal Expos before the team was ultimately sold and moved to the nation's capital as the Washington Nationals in 2005.

It's believed, though, that the NBA's intent -- if it went through with buying the Hornets -- would be to try to secure a buyer willing and able to keep the franchise in New Orleans. Shinn controversially moved the Hornets from Charlotte to New Orleans for the 2002-03 season, and the team was later forced to make Oklahoma City its home for two seasons in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

The New Orleans Times-Picayune reported earlier this week that the Hornets can opt out of their current lease with the state of Louisiana and have the freedom to move yet again if they average less than 14,213 fans during a 13-game stretch of home dates between Dec. 1 and Jan. 17. The Hornets averaged just 13,826 fans through their first nine home games despite the team's promising 13-5 start.Conflict of interest. There's no way a league that has integrity issues should be allowed to purchase a team. Even if it is temporary.

IDB Josh M
12-03-2010, 11:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5881253Conflict of interest. There's no way a league that has integrity issues should be allowed to purchase a team. Even if it is temporary.

Where is the conflict you speak of? If there is some evidence that the team is floundering because the owner is gutting the team, then the League has to step in. If the league simply wants to buy the team to keep the team in New Orleans, then I agree that there is a slight conflict of interest. Probably an Anti-trust issue as well. However, I think the NBA has an exception to the Federal Anti-trust laws.

Either way, I agree that the NBA has some integrity issues. From referees betting on the games, to David Stern being an idiot, to other things that I can't think of right now.

Super.
12-04-2010, 12:04 AM
NBA buys Hornets and then trades Paul :p

xabial
12-04-2010, 02:35 AM
No offense to Hornets fans but wouldnt the NBA taking over as Owner(s) be better for the Hornets, then your current owner? I Mean hasnt your owner's financial situation encouraged Paul to leave or has these reports been exagarrated?

Raph12
12-04-2010, 02:44 AM
NBA buys Hornets and then trades Paul :p

To Orlando! :clap:

kayface
12-04-2010, 02:50 AM
The NBA needs to back off and just let Gary Chouest buy the team. The man has money, is willing to spend, and has ties to New Orleans and has said he wants to keep the team in New Orleans.

I don't think another move for this Hornets team would do them any good..

John Walls Era
12-04-2010, 02:56 AM
To Orlando! :clap:

You wish. Stern is shipping him to the Knicks... unfortunately

saintdrew
12-04-2010, 03:30 AM
Ok,

Our current owner, George Shinn is pretty bad, as most of you know. This guy Gary Chouest who wipes his @$$ with $100 bills is trying to purchase the team from Shinn, and Chouests' plan is to keep CP3 and spend $ $ $....

And obviously there has been conflicting issues. I think if the NBA bought the Hornets then it would make it easier for Chouest to purchase the team.

Shinn hardly ever shows up at Hornets game, much less any kind of event. Chouest has courtside season tickets since they came to NOLA. Like Chouest 'wants' to make the Hornets better. Shinn I think, is having some sort of control issue with all of this. Shinn is suffering from bad health, and there was one point he was going to turn the franchise owner over to his son, THEN when that fell through he tried to make his son the General Manager and owner duties I think, but I know sole position as GM.

FYI - his son is in some music band.

It's been a crap-storm really. I just hope this all resolves. If CP3 leaves, then franchise needs to hurry and get some future all-star. I mean I think our team has better pieces than the likes of what LeBron left Cleveland with. But David West is already 30, and he's the focal point of the offensive side of things. He and CP3 mesh really well on the floor together.

I'm just crossing my fingers that Gary Chouest becomes owner.

If anyone hears that Gary Chouest is owner of the Hornets in the near future, then accept that as a good thing for Hornets fans and the franchise.

Raph12
12-04-2010, 04:10 AM
You wish. Stern is shipping him to the Knicks... unfortunately

Well then... Melo to Orlando! :clap:

nolafan33
12-04-2010, 02:48 PM
No offense to Hornets fans but wouldnt the NBA taking over as Owner(s) be better for the Hornets, then your current owner? I Mean hasnt your owner's financial situation encouraged Paul to leave or has these reports been exagarrated?

The NBA buying the Hornets would work nomore than as a bridge from Shinn to the next owner (Chouest?). Getting Shinn out, and the NBA in would be a very good thing. Believe it or not, if the NBA did buy the Hornets, that would mean the Hornets would be in New Orleans for a long time, no relocation.

Then again, there could be a badside. Stern has mentioned about contracting a team or two. Now the league owns the Hornets, and has control over 15 players jobs. League lands more leverage.

saintdrew
12-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Well,

Gary Chouest officially withdrew his name from candidates to buy the Hornets from current owner, George Shinn today.

Which means the Hornets won't be in New Orleans for long. Long-term it's bad news, I'd say within 2 years the NBA finds a new home for the Hornets.

Las Vegas?
Seattle?
St. Louis?

Who knows...

Rafters
12-04-2010, 05:05 PM
The NBA buying the Hornets would work nomore than as a bridge from Shinn to the next owner (Chouest?). Getting Shinn out, and the NBA in would be a very good thing. Believe it or not, if the NBA did buy the Hornets, that would mean the Hornets would be in New Orleans for a long time, no relocation.

Then again, there could be a badside. Stern has mentioned about contracting a team or two. Now the league owns the Hornets, and has control over 15 players jobs. League lands more leverage.

stern said those who are in risk for contraction are those who are trying to sell. if the nba buys it most likely thats good bye to basketball in the big easy.

magichatnumber9
12-04-2010, 05:07 PM
They should give the team to Rasheed Wallace. He paid for most of it.