PDA

View Full Version : D-League to rehab

Hawkeye15
12-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Jonny Flynn will play in the D League tonight, and for a few games, to get his timing, conditioning, etc back, while rehabbing from his hip surgery. We all know baseball does this all the time. Why doesn't the NBA? Do you think its a useful tool? It helps the players return 100%, versus putting a player in the game that you know WILL be better, but is hurting their team probably, in an NBA game when they first come back from injury. why doesn't the NBA do this?

Thoughts?

DerekRE_3
12-03-2010, 07:39 PM
So this makes Johnny Flynn a bust then. I mean Hasheem Thabeet went to the d-league.

LTBaByyy
12-03-2010, 07:46 PM
I think its a good idea but it wouldve been weird seeing Boozer in the D League lol

h2r09
12-03-2010, 07:52 PM
it is a very good idea and i dont understand why more teams havent done this for 2nd round picks and other young guys wasting at the end of benches. it will become a lot more popular in the coming years.

LTBaByyy
12-03-2010, 08:00 PM
They would have to put more money and marketing in the NBDL

So every team can have their own team, shoot MLB teams has 3 minor league teams

NYK_kidd77
12-03-2010, 08:08 PM
I think its a good idea. I don't think anyone past their 2nd year is aloud to be put in the D-league, so maybe thats why we don't see it happen as much?

CityofTreez
12-03-2010, 08:10 PM
So this makes Johnny Flynn a bust then. I mean Hasheem Thabeet went to the d-league.

:laugh2:

Plus, what if you went to the d-league to rehab, and then re-injured yourself? It would defeat the purpose and would bring alot of negative criticism towards the coach

h2r09
12-03-2010, 08:10 PM
They would have to put more money and marketing in the NBDL

So every team can have their own team, shoot MLB teams has 3 minor league teams

that is because there is a huge difference between the high school and college athletes in the sport and how there are 48 more rounds in baseball.

there is no need for each team to have their own team because you can only have 15 players on your roster to begin with and that is really all you need.

LTBaByyy
12-03-2010, 08:12 PM
^^^ Mavs have their own team and there hasnt been a problem?

I think a couple more do

TrueFan420
12-03-2010, 08:13 PM
its because the nba has become all about egos and it would be deflating to their oversized egos to go play in a d league game

BkOriginalOne
12-03-2010, 08:14 PM
It's great for younger players because court time is court time.
But when you have guys that are multi time all stars they have more experience are better adept to jumping back into the mix of things.
BUT! In some cases yes, I think that Tmac, Steph and maybe even AI could have got better conditioned and sharp playing a couple week in the D's.

h2r09
12-03-2010, 08:16 PM
^^^ Mavs have their own team and there hasnt been a problem?

I think a couple more do

but the mavs own very few if not only 1 or 2 of those players. i dont know their situation but you can only have 3 guys as most from your team on there. the other players have no affiliation to the mavericks. anybody can sign them without any problem.

LTBaByyy
12-03-2010, 08:20 PM
but the mavs own very few if not only 1 or 2 of those players. i dont know their situation but you can only have 3 guys as most from your team on there. the other players have no affiliation to the mavericks. anybody can sign them without any problem.

Exactly! Every team will only own 1 or 2 guys on each team whats the problem

That's why every team should have a D League affiliate for this to be smoothly

Or then the veterans would never do this (egos), especially when the arenas are half full and no money being thrown into it

Hustlenomics
12-03-2010, 08:26 PM
thought this was going to be about rashard mcants ..Flynn is still too good to be even practicing at the D-league

Hawkeye15
12-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Guys, remove the name. My question is, when you have a farm system right there, why not send a player who is rehabbing an injury down to the D League to play 3-4 games, and get their timing and confidence back in their respective injury?

Baller1
12-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Who's the starting PG for the T'Wolves right now? I can't even think.

LTBaByyy
12-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Who's the starting PG for the T'Wolves right now? I can't even think.

Ridnour?

Baller1
12-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Ridnour?

Yeahhh, that's it. Thanks.

beasted86
12-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Why doesn't the NBA? Do you think its a useful tool? It helps the players return 100%, versus putting a player in the game that you know WILL be better, but is hurting their team probably, in an NBA game when they first come back from injury. why doesn't the NBA do this?

Thoughts?

They probably don't do it because D-League teams more than likely don't have close to the medical expertise & training access that NBA teams do.

Most teams would rather just monitor the player closely through practice. In theory NBA practice scrimmages should still have greater competition than any D-League roster... and the player is close by to still learn and watch the game rather than be on a bus miles away only watching whatever footage he can get from the coaches.

Hawkeye15
12-03-2010, 08:39 PM
They probably don't do it because D-League teams more than likely don't have close to the medical expertise & training access that NBA teams do.

Most teams would rather just monitor the player closely through practice. In theory NBA practice scrimmages should still have greater competition than any D-League roster... and the player is close by to still learn and watch the game rather than be on a bus miles away only watching whatever footage he can get from the coaches.

this is easily the best answer, and made me think about something I forgot. In the MLB, you have so many games, and so few practices, a player rehabbing gets nearly zip opportunity to get any action.

BoognishMN
12-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Very underutilized system, when they implemented the D-League that was exactly how I thought it would be used. I think that teams should use it to develop raw players who will not get serious minutes in the NBA. If used properly I think it would have been great for guys like Gerald Green.

Kashmir13579
12-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Knicks have never used the d-league. not even once. there isn't as much middle ground as there is in the MLB when it comes to talent; either your an NBA player or your not. therefor the Dleague will never be the development tool that the minor leagues are. NBA prospects like Gerald Green/Sebastian Telfair didn't start out in the D-league, whereas David Wright, Jose Reyes, and everyone on the Braves was brought up through the farm system. with all that said, i still think the Dleague could be a useful tool to get back to game-speed coming off an injury. thats about it.

thekmp211
12-03-2010, 10:36 PM
a few things here...

thabeet did not go down for an injury, not comparable

as for the medical treatment point...at this stage there is no need for high-level medical care. the player is presumably healthy, lacking in-game conditioning and timing.

as for nba practice scrimmages...it's just not the same playing against your teammates.

i like the move, it makes sense, and as the franchises become more streamlined at the two levels i'd expect it to happen more. at the very least, for young/fringe players.

kblo247
12-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Guys, remove the name. My question is, when you have a farm system right there, why not send a player who is rehabbing an injury down to the D League to play 3-4 games, and get their timing and confidence back in their respective injury?

I get where you are coming from but I see 3 drawbacks with sending every guy down there

1. You risk a guy getting hurt by players who are trying to get noticed and make a name for themselves by hard fouling them or doing something stupid

2. You put a guy's health at risk, especially a vets when you take away their normal training staff who knows their bodies, the advanced equipment that the NBA teams have, and advanced travel methods since some guys have swelling on luxury flights let alone D League travel.

3. You hurt the pride of some players by even sending them down to the minor leagues let alone veterans who have been in the league before, especially if they get showed up there while coming off an injury

Rego247
12-03-2010, 11:12 PM
i think its a good idea. raps did it with ed davis. sent him down for a couple of games. get his timing back and conditioning. its not a demotion by any means. i think its a good idea.

sorta O/t but does OKC own their d league team?

Slimsim
12-03-2010, 11:38 PM
That's a good idea but that might Damage their Confidence Being Demoted.

Fnom11
12-04-2010, 01:25 PM
The Heat sent Pittman to the Dleague and he's playing pretty damn well. It's make a lot of sense to send him there to further develop instead of wasting on the bench. Every team should do this for picks that aren't used.

DerekRE_3
12-04-2010, 02:42 PM

I think it's a great idea. The D-League in general should be used more. If a young guy isn't playing or even suiting up every night, there is no reason why he shouldn't go to the D-League. That's where Gerald Henderson should have gone last year. And that's why I'm glad the Kings sent Hassan Whiteside there this year. I just wish they did it from the beginning. The Rockets have done a pretty good job of utilizing the D-League and are the only team I can think of to do so.

dtmagnet
12-04-2010, 02:43 PM
The Raptors did it with Ed Davis and it worked out great, he made an immediate impact in his NBA debut. I should mention the reason he hadn't played all season was due to knee surgery in the summer. It really is a useful thing to do, its like sending a pitcher for a rehab start in baseball.

boeknows
12-05-2010, 10:19 PM
The Heat sent Pittman to the Dleague and he's playing pretty damn well. It's make a lot of sense to send him there to further develop instead of wasting on the bench. Every team should do this for picks that aren't used.

Flynn and Pittman are actually playing on the same team in the D League.

Storch
12-05-2010, 10:24 PM
I think it's an excelent idea to send a player to the D-league for rehab and get his rhythm back. As long as the D-league team he plays for implements the same system as his NBA team, it can only improve his play barring injuries. :up:

boeknows
12-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Here are the D league teams and the NBA teams that are assigned to them.

Austin Toros ---- Spurs
Bakersfield Jam ----- Clippers and Lakers
Dakota Wizards ----- Wizards and Grizzlies
Erie Bayhawks ----- Cavs and Raptors
Fort Wayne Mad Ants ----- Pistons, Pacers and Bucks
Idaho Stampede ---- Nuggets and Blazers
Iowa Energy ---- Bulls and Suns
Maine Red Claws ---- Celtics and Bobcats
New Mexico Thunderbirds ---- Hornets and Magic
Reno Bighorns ---- Warriors and Kings
Rio Grande Valley Vipers ---- Rockets
Sioux Falls Skyforce ---- Heat and Wolves
Springfield Armor ---- Nets, Knicks and Sixers
Texas Legends ---- Mavs
Tulsa 66ers ---- Thunder
Utah Flash ---- Jazz and Hawks

Fnom11
12-06-2010, 03:10 AM
Flynn and Pittman are actually playing on the same team in the D League.

I saw that, also saw his 6 t.o.s