PDA

View Full Version : How is the Red Sox offer to Mariano Rivera going to affect Jonathan Papelbon?

Ty Fast
12-03-2010, 06:47 PM
With Papelbon set to become a free agent next season is this going to affect his decision?

Yankees Suck
12-03-2010, 06:55 PM
I hope it wakes him up so he does not blow 8 saves again this season. I would not mind if the Red Sox traded him and put Bard in the closer role.

The offer to Rivera is meaningless.

C-ross12
12-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Papelbon seems a bit emotinal, but its hard to say if it will affect anything really. I would be willing to bet Theo is looking to deal this guy. I dont think the market will be huge for him though.

iggypop123
12-03-2010, 07:06 PM
i think he already knows they dont want him and would trade him any second should they get a resaonable return

avrpatsfan
12-03-2010, 07:15 PM
It'll light a fire under his ***.

dtmagnet
12-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Who cares that guy is a douche and he knows it.

papipapsmanny
12-03-2010, 07:19 PM
who cares were not resigning him anyways, this is his last season as a Red Sox

Melo15
12-03-2010, 07:34 PM
It's going to make him pitch like an overrated and overpaid closer. So, it won't change anything.

Bos_Sports4Life
12-03-2010, 07:36 PM
I can't wait until Papelbon is out of this town, Hes the self proclaimed greatest closer in the world, yet, he blows 8 games or whatever it was..

NYYCowboys
12-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Bard is way better than Papelbon at this point in my opinion. When the Yankees faced Bard last year they looked overmatched, and not so much with Papelbon.

HansumJay
12-03-2010, 07:43 PM
I hate the face he makes. Almost as much as Philip Rivers' face.

Eagles4Lyfe
12-03-2010, 07:45 PM
wth sox fans are hilarious just a couple years ago everyone was on his nuts when they guy won them world series and did that dancing crap it was in everyones sig, now suddenly everythings changed..show some respect to the guy jeez

SoxRTattedOnMe
12-03-2010, 07:57 PM
The reason is because Bard has progressed....I luv paps regardless and hope he continues to be our closer

Lincecum4CY
12-03-2010, 07:58 PM
PapeLOLbon sucks. Redsox were smart in trying to snag Rivera and i agree Bard should be Boston's closer. Papelbon can keep asking for those huge aribitration raises. Once he leaves boston, i dont see many teams willing to pony up the money he wants for him.

Didn't he compare himself to MO or consider himself the best closer in the game?

I know being a Giants fan i shouldnt comment on other teams closers being a douche because well wilson comes off as a douche, but wilson is all fun and games. He doesn't show teams up he just doe his thing and puts on his little act during interviews

Papelbon is just a straight up douche and hes really not even that good.

SEATTLEredsox
12-03-2010, 07:59 PM
wth sox fans are hilarious just a couple years ago everyone was on his nuts when they guy won them world series and did that dancing crap it was in everyones sig, now suddenly everythings changed..show some respect to the guy jeez

to be fair, papelbon has been in a steady decline the past few years

bosox3431
12-03-2010, 08:01 PM

Ya and a few years ago he was very good. Since then he's regressed and became a giant douche.

North Country
12-03-2010, 08:09 PM
With Papelbon set to become a free agent next season is this going to affect his decision?

I doubt the Red Sox plan on bringing him back via free agency after this year. I'm surprised they didn't non-tender him this offseason. I hope this wakes him up. He's been talking about wanting to test the free agent market and get a huge contract for 3 years now so he'll be plenty motivated next year.

TragicallyHip
12-03-2010, 08:10 PM
I hope it wakes him up so he does not blow 8 saves again this season. I would not mind if the Red Sox traded him and put Bard in the closer role.

x2

Eagles4Lyfe
12-03-2010, 08:14 PM
i dunno i still fear facing the guy in the 9th inning i agree bard is a nice cheap good option for them and there may be decline in paps but i don't get what he did to warrant all the hating thats all

RayRay
12-03-2010, 08:14 PM
If he's a man he'll be motivated to prove them wrong... If he's a ***** he'll whine and request a trade.

JOSKOMANG4
12-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Padres & Red Sox Trade

- Rex Sox acquire RHP H.Bell & 1b A-Gonzo from Padres in exchanged for RHP's C.Kelly & J.Papelbon, OF J.Reddick, SS J.Iglesias, & 1b Rizzo.

Red Sox Lineup:

1) Ellsbury-CF
2) Pedroia-2b
3) Youk-3b
4) Gonzo-1b
5) Ortiz-DH
6) Drew-RF
7) Cameron-LF
8) Salty-C
9) Scutaro-SS

Bench:

OF R.Kalish
C Salty
1b L.Anderson
IF/OF E.Patterson
IF J.Lowrie

Rotation:

RHP Beckett
LHP Lester
RHP Lackey
RHP Dice K
RHP Buccholz

Bullpen:

H.Bell(closer)
# D. Bard
# S. Atchison
# T. Wakefield
# R. Coello
# M. Bowden
# M. Fox
# J. Tazawa
# F. Doubront

mttwlsn16
12-03-2010, 08:59 PM
He will cower down like the b!+ch that he is and have a repeat performance of last season...need to put Bard and closer and get what they can for Pap

mttwlsn16
12-03-2010, 09:01 PM
I hate the face he makes. Almost as much as Philip Rivers' face.

HAHAHA the butt hole mouth

Super.
12-03-2010, 09:03 PM
He's a ****ing doush. I'm friends with a guy on the Sox mascot staff, and he's met most of the players. He's said Paps is a cocky prick. He also said that 3 years ago.

And to top it off he's been steadily declining.

MelanconMadness
12-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Paps will not take this easy. Considering hes the guy that said he deserved to be the closer over Mo in the All Star game at Yankee Stadium, and then said he would love to go to the Yankees in 2012 and be the closer (over Mo)

Red Sox would be smart to give Bard the closing role now

hugepatsfan
12-03-2010, 09:28 PM
He's probably going to start Spring Training w/ a media hissy fit. But then he'll unbunch his drawers and then go have a great contract year.

bagwell368
12-03-2010, 10:30 PM
who cares were not resigning him anyways, this is his last season as a Red Sox

x2

Remember all the **** I took in 2008 and 2009 when I wanted to deal him when he was worth something?

He's a dead man walking in Boston. F him and his desire to be the highest paid closer ever, a false broken hope. Sox tried to tie him up long term and he refused, guess we laugh last.

el_primo_nano
12-03-2010, 10:51 PM
I love him, he does great against us. Lets us score and all that good stuff. :up:
:laugh:

hugepatsfan
12-03-2010, 10:52 PM
x2

Remember all the **** I took in 2008 and 2009 when I wanted to deal him when he was worth something?

He's a dead man walking in Boston. F him and his desire to be the highest paid closer ever, a false broken hope. Sox tried to tie him up long term and he refused, guess we laugh last.

Yeah. He really ****ed up on that one. lol He is probably going to get about 10 mil per. He should have re upped when he had the chance.

Bos_Sports4Life
12-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Yeah. He really ****ed up on that one. lol He is probably going to get about 10 mil per. He should have re upped when he had the chance.

I love when players get offered contracts and screw up, and costs themself millions bc there so damn greedy, Nomar cost himself 4 or 5 yrs at 15 per, he prob didn't even get 1/4 of that, some players are straight up morons

misterd
12-04-2010, 01:36 PM

I wouldn't say the offer is meaningless, as it obviously belies a lack of faith in Paps. But you are also talking the greatest reliever of all time, so it isn't like Paps can take it too personally.

What has more meaning is the rumor that the Sox would have just dumped Paps, rather than retain him and have that much stronger a bullpen. That is less easy to dismiss, and I would certainly hold it against the team when it comes time for free agency (if the Sox even have an interest). The best Paps can do is pitch his *** off so that the Sox have no choice but to bring him back at top dollar.

Yankees Suck
12-04-2010, 02:43 PM

Maybe you should watch the Red Sox...

Vthockeydad
12-04-2010, 05:19 PM
I too was frustrated at Papelbon last year, but I think it will motivate him to be a lot better. He is extremely competitive and it can do nothing but help the Sox. If he has a good year and wants a ton of money, the Sox can let him go for two first round draft choices and there should be a market for him as a closer. If he has another year like last year, let him go.
30 pitch ninth innings were painful to watch last year. I hope he takes it as a big challenge.

heathonater
12-04-2010, 08:42 PM
i think this has no affect on papelbon's future in boston. based on papelbon's bad season, boston should consider going with bard as their closer after this season.

fadedmario
12-04-2010, 09:02 PM
1 year deal. great sign imo