PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Resign A.J Pierzynski 2yr/4mil per yr.

WindyCityFlyer
12-02-2010, 11:36 PM
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the White Sox have agreed a two-year contract with catcher A.J. Pierzynski.
Quite a turn of events. Pierzynski was rumored to be close to a deal with the Blue Jays just hours ago, but he's heading back to Chicago on a deal worth around $8 million. Perhaps that earlier report sprung White Sox GM Kenny Williams into action. The 33-year-old Pierzynski batted .270/.300/.388 over 474 at-bats in 2010 and is likely to serve a similar role in 2011.

Heyman also reporting this.

keymax
12-02-2010, 11:45 PM
I didn't want AJ back at all costs but considering the lack of alternatives and the fact that our pitchers hated Olivo I can live with a 2/8 deal for AJ. I would have liked Russell Martin in case he will be non-tendered but I guess it's too late for that now.

Mell413
12-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Why don't they let Flowers play? I'd like to think he can put up similar numbers as A.J. for less.

ImDaBaron
12-02-2010, 11:47 PM
I didn't want AJ back at all costs but considering the lack of alternatives and the fact that our pitchers hated Olivo I can live with a 2/8 deal for AJ. I would have liked Russell Martin in case he will be non-tendered but I guess it's too late for that now.

Yeah....I honestly didnt want him back but as we got further into the offseason it became apparent that this would prob be the best option for us

ImDaBaron
12-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Why don't they let Flowers play? I'd like to think he can put up similar numbers as A.J. for less.

Flowers...still has alot of growing to do...and I dont think the Sox wanted to go through the growing pains

NYKnicks4511
12-02-2010, 11:51 PM
I wish I got paid 4 mil a year for hitting .270 and being a douche :/
Good for AJ

keymax
12-02-2010, 11:53 PM

AJ has a good chemistry with our pitching staff that is owed $70M, the Sox can't afford any issues and possible growing pains.

Ragun
12-02-2010, 11:56 PM
thank god jays didnt get him. id rather see archenbia

Mell413
12-03-2010, 12:00 AM
AJ has a good chemistry with our pitching staff that is owed $70M, the Sox can't afford any issues and possible growing pains.

That might be true, but couldn't you argue if you have a staff making that much that they should be able to pitch regardless who is catching? It's not like AJ has set the bar so high. I'd like to think Flowers would be able to beat a .688 OPS that A.J. put up.

akagiredsuns
12-03-2010, 12:07 AM
I like this move. Keeping AJ was smart. He knows the system and Flowers is still not ready for such a responsibility. Keep learning kid. Your time will come soon.

keymax
12-03-2010, 12:08 AM
That might be true, but couldn't you argue if you have a staff making that much that they should be able to pitch regardless who is catching? It's not like AJ has set the bar so high. I'd like to think Flowers would be able to beat a .688 OPS that A.J. put up.

Sure you could, but If you owe your pitching staff that kind of money wouldn't you try to prevent anything that could possibly distract them from a organizational standpoint?
AJ had a down year offensively but I think it's far from a safe bet that Flowers would outproduce him at the plate. His strikeout rate in the minors is alarming, I wouldn't expect it to come down in the big leagues. His bat is a question mark right now and his defense always was.

And at $4M/yr it's not like we're stuck with AJ, if he doesn't produce at all we can still find an alternative and cut him loose.

Knuckleball Rob
12-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Welcome back AJ - WOO HOO

Rdy2PlayBall
12-03-2010, 01:11 AM
Definetly a good choice. There isn't really any other better options besides a trade or V-Mart (and he's not a catcher). I'm glad they found a deal and found it soon. If PK really wants to be on a winning team, he's going to be back on the Sox.

sager729
12-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Flowers will be traded for bullpen help. And nobody say he will be involved in a trade for Rasmus, the Cards don't need him.

Sick Of It All
12-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Flowers will be traded for bullpen help. And nobody say he will be involved in a trade for Rasmus, the Cards don't need him.

Wonder if they would be interested in Maniac-Rod?

Kenny loves those big name vets.

Or is Thornton their closer?

Chi StateOfMind
12-03-2010, 03:03 PM
wished we coulda got russell martin but o well i guess

Pierzynski4Prez
12-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Well I for 1 am happy that my profile name will still be relevant for the next 2 years

Hunter48MVP
12-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Good deal for the White Sox. AL Central just got a lot harder. Doesn't look good for the Twins.

theslick1
12-03-2010, 06:10 PM
A relative bargain considering what John Buck got.