PDA

View Full Version : Most Surprising player this year so far.

eXpLiiCt
12-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Who's the most surprising player this year so far.

I pick Blake Griffin, didn't know he would be this much of a monster.

Minimal
12-02-2010, 08:02 PM
1. Blake Griffin
2. Russell Westbrook
3. Roy Hibbert

bigsams50
12-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Blake Griffin, Landry Fields, Hibbert, Mike Conley.

SA5195
12-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Griffin, Westbrook

knicks09
12-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Blake Griffin
Raymond Felton

northsider
12-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Griffin that kid is on beast mode I didn't realize how much of an athlete that big guy was.

justinnum1
12-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Richard Jefferson, I thought this guy was done.

And griffin...that mozgov dunk could be dunk of the year.

Hawkeye15
12-02-2010, 08:39 PM
why would rookies be listed? We had nothing to gauge them with previously.

Westbrook, Richard Jefferson (thought he was done), and Hibbert (turning into a dominant defensive force)

Baller1
12-02-2010, 08:47 PM
It didn't really surprise me necessarily because I knew he was guaranteed to break out, but not even I or Hawkeye would've expected the numbers he's putting up.

So my vote goes to Kevin Love.

Hawkeye15
12-02-2010, 08:50 PM
It didn't really surprise me necessarily because I knew he was guaranteed to break out, but not even I or Hawkeye would've expected the numbers he's putting up.

So my vote goes to Kevin Love.

I actually figured about 17-13, since that was what his per 34 mpg averages were last year. But he has played just a bit better even. His rebounding is amazing.

nycericanguy
12-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Griffin, Fields, Hibbert, Love & Noah get honorable mentions...i'm sure i'm missing someone though

Slimsim
12-02-2010, 08:58 PM
felton
griffon
beasley

kingbrentg
12-02-2010, 08:59 PM
In a positive way:

Kevin Love
Blake Griffin
Eric Gordon
Roy Hibbert

In a negative way:

Brook Lopez's rebounding
Chris Bosh's rebounding/slow start
Kevin Durant's eFG% (though he's had nagging injuries)
Joe Johnson

Just to name a few.

tredigs
12-02-2010, 09:03 PM
1. Blake Griffin
2. Russell Westbrook
3. Roy Hibbert

Not to be a know-it-all, but I expected all three of these guys to be playing at about the level they're currently at this season. Only thing that Westbrook has surprised me by was his increased aggression in attacking the hoop (I knew it would increase, but not this much) and his subsequent fantastic foul shooting.

To me, the most surprising player has been Landry Fields. Incredibly solid, smart rookie - and taken in the 2nd round. The team's flat out better with him on the court; great pickup for NY.

Hawkeye15
12-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Not to be a know-it-all, but I expected all three of these guys to be playing at about the level they're currently at this season. Only thing that Westbrook has surprised me by was his increased aggression in attacking the hoop (I knew it would increase, but not this much) and his subsequent fantastic foul shooting.

To me, the most surprising player has been Landry Fields. Incredibly solid, smart rookie - and taken in the 2nd round. The team's flat out better with him on the court; great pickup for NY.

you smug little know it all

:)

thekmp211
12-02-2010, 09:33 PM

tre speaking truth per usual. ive been preaching griffin since his college days. hibbert is slightly surprising, and westbrook has improved every year.

fields is an obvious choice, came out of no where. as for non-rookie contributors...

w. chandler has played very well so far.

but folks...

there is one name here that simply cannot be ignored...

nay...will refuse to be ignored...

i refer of course to the slow rolling force of nature that is ...

DARKO. dude's woken up (for the moment).

Hawkeye15
12-02-2010, 09:37 PM
tre speaking truth per usual. ive been preaching griffin since his college days. hibbert is slightly surprising, and westbrook has improved every year.

fields is an obvious choice, came out of no where. as for non-rookie contributors...

but folks...

how coud I forget Darko?????

BkOriginalOne
12-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Griffin has been great but he has not been the more surprising than...
ROy Hibbert
Darko Miliic
Kevin Love (30, 30)
Beasley
Landry Fields

KnicksorBust
12-02-2010, 10:12 PM

but folks...

You knew the #1 overall pick was going to be good? Damn you have the keen eye of a seasoned GM. Any other diamonds in the rough? :) j/k

My pick is probably Manu. He's 33, never played a full season, and he's having a career year right now. Fun fact about Manu that I didn't know until today. He's 8th all-time in Win Shares PER 48 minutes ahead of guys like Larry Bird, Tim Duncan, Charles Barkley and more. Pretty impressive.

Lim
12-03-2010, 03:13 AM
how can anyone be surprised about Westbrook?

Raph12
12-03-2010, 03:18 AM
Westbrook and Durant... For very different reasons.

aussie
12-03-2010, 03:20 AM
Willie Green, Jason Smith

papisupremo
12-03-2010, 03:49 AM
landry fields is my most surprising just because he's a rookie 2nd round pick and he's playing as seasoned as he is. many outside of new york may not see him, but he's is solid in all facets. a good work ethic will only strengthen his game.

hibbert is pretty surprising because indiana isnt terrible and he's a big reason why. indiana isnt terrible. think about that.

griffin im not so surprised. i knew he would be good, but damn. same thing with westbrook, damn. and i cant show the guys in minny any love until they start winning. it dont mean ***** if u dont win.

btw, ray felton is putting together a real solid season. with most of the good pg's being out west, dont be surprised if he makes an all-star appearance.

John Walls Era
12-03-2010, 03:53 AM
I can't say Kevin Love because I knew he would be this good. I also expected Roy Hibbert to be this good too. I guess I will go with Westbrook. I knew the guy was a top 10 PG, but hes been even better than just top 10.

Evolution23
12-03-2010, 03:58 AM
Westbrook, Felton

I always knew Griffin would be a beast.

Mochalman
12-03-2010, 03:59 AM
isnt rose 2nd in ppg? i wouldnt of thought that

central2003
12-03-2010, 04:31 AM
Blake Griffin all the way. I knew he would be good but I did not know that he would be a Beast. He is on Beast mode

YoungOne
12-03-2010, 04:48 AM
homer pick: glen davis - playing starter minutes of the bench with perk, JO and shaq injuries, he's scoring, taking the most charges in the nba, shooting like KG, posting up, even blocking some shots..

non homer: conley - thought he was overpaid, but there are nights where he looks like his teams best player

JiffyMix88
12-03-2010, 04:53 AM
Blake Griffin
Suprising Players Positive Way(not rookies)
D. Wright
M. Conley
Suprising Players Negative Way(not rookies)
Tyreke Evans
Chris Bosh

thekmp211
12-03-2010, 07:12 AM
You knew the #1 overall pick was going to be good? Damn you have the keen eye of a seasoned GM. Any other diamonds in the rough? :) j/k

My pick is probably Manu. He's 33, never played a full season, and he's having a career year right now. Fun fact about Manu that I didn't know until today. He's 8th all-time in Win Shares PER 48 minutes ahead of guys like Larry Bird, Tim Duncan, Charles Barkley and more. Pretty impressive.

ha ha i just remember lots of doubters surrounding griffin, especially after his injury. but, yeah, i could just smell the intangibles lol.

i stole manu in my fantasy league this year. he is playing incredibly this year and the minutes he's getting are letting him put up big numbers. RIGHT NOW, he's the 2nd best shooting guard in the league.

dorrell wright is a great one, too. conley has been surprising.

beasley is really not doing anything he hadn't already proven capable of, just getting minutes and filling an important role.

i've been waiting for love to blow up...but i don't think anyone expected him to be so dominant.

edit: negatively, tyreke doesn't look to have improved one bit. his team is dreadful, but he is essentially the same player he was last year. at his age, that is not a good thing

VANEXEL9
12-03-2010, 07:23 AM
My starting five:
Millsap (18ppg-8rpg) JaVale McGee (10PPG-8RPG) Taj Gibson (11PPG-6RPG) Holiday (13PPG-7APG) Dorell Wright(15ppg-5rpg)

Crackadalic
12-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Blake Griffin did not know this kid would be this beastly of a player

GrandpaPa
12-03-2010, 07:47 AM
D Rose baby! Son is killing this year!

farsouthside
12-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Blake Griffin
I really did not see this guy being this good this fast.

IndyRealist
12-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Landry Fields, Russell Westbrook, Roy Hibbert. Not necessarily in that order.

alencp3
12-03-2010, 10:47 AM
I said Griffin will be a beast and average 20/10 and lots of people were laughing back then

Most suprising im going with Westbrook, Millsap, R.Jefferson, Manu (i dont think anyone expected from him to play like an mvp candidate), Milicic, Love, E. Gordon, R. Evans, Brand...

Spiderman 1nner
12-03-2010, 11:15 AM
I don't kno why people are saying westbrook, it was so obvious last year that he is more important to tha success of tha thunder than kevin durant. I don't think he's a surprise at all, in fact, I expected him to be an MVP candidate this year.

My vote is for Raymond Felton, I thought tha guy was never going to be anything more than a bench player but then he comes to tha knicks of all teams and both him and tha knicks are having success.

Kashmir13579
12-03-2010, 01:57 PM
why would rookies be listed? We had nothing to gauge them with previously.

Westbrook, Richard Jefferson (thought he was done), and Hibbert (turning into a dominant defensive force)

when a second round pick leads all guards in rebounding that is without a doubt a surprise. blake griffin... i knew he was a beast since he dismantled Jonny Flynn's CUSE team in the sweet sixteen a few years back. dude is/was/will be a beast.

arkanian215
12-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Evan Turner (I thought he'd be more NBA ready)
Al Horford (The guy was solid but everyone said he had limited upside and yet for another year in a row, he continues to improve)
DeMarcus Cousins (I thought he would be a beast in the post w/ an NBA ready body and a good skillset, shooting .403 from the field)
Landry Fields (this kid makes me want that 31st pick back)
The Hornets and the Spurs (NOLA's D and RJ's resurgence)
The Rockets (What happened?)
The Clippers (Good mix of vets and youth but it just hasn't worked out, going young now).
Shaq (Very efficient with the little time he does play, essential piece to Boston's title hopes)

central2003
12-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Blake Griffin is what Portland wishes Greg Oden would turn out to be either freshman or sophomore year but too bad. Blake Griffin is what every #1 pick should be... A BEAST

Lil Rhody
12-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Shaq....... Seems like he is giving the Celtics good solid min every time he is out there and he has been hitting his FT

NYKNYGNYY
12-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Michael beasley he was supposedly a bust

zambo4president
12-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I thought Blake Griffin hands down before I even opened the thread and seeing that just about everyone said him, I don't really wanna pick him anymore, but Ill stay with it because he's absolutely proved me wrong. How bout Mike Beez? He hasn't surprised me, but most people had written him off as a bust.

koreancabbage
12-03-2010, 04:23 PM
reggie evans pre-injury

the guy is posting 4th best rebounding % (or something like that) ever after Rodman (who owns the first three records). Evans can be a great asset for anyone interested come trade deadline.

my vote would be Griffin

2nd Hibbert. Can't believe the Raptors would have had him if the Raptors didn't mortgage away their future in aging and broken down big men like O'Neal.

3rd Westbrook, not much pressure since Durant is shouldering the scoring load, but this guy has opened my eyes to where he belongs in the discussion of top PGs.

Hiphopopotamus
12-03-2010, 04:28 PM
The biggest to me is Hibbert, I really did not think he would be an average NBA player now he is looking like a very good one. Not so surprised by guys like Darko and Beasley cuz everyone always thought that they had a ton of talent, just didn't use it. My homer pick is Taj Gibson looking like a guy who could be a starter for a number of squads.

Wallace
12-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Wesley Matthews .

tredigs
12-03-2010, 04:58 PM

but folks...

Know-it-call anecdote #2: In my online draft when it finally came to rd. 12 and Darko was staring at me straight in the eyes, I swooped him up with a smile. One of my buddies writes in the comment section, "DARKO?? HAH!". My response was something like, "Dude's a fly-swatter. And watch out, cause he's starting this year and has the full backing of the owner to be given time to get it going. Monster possibilities there".

I still don't know that I'm going to be right when it's all said and done being that the season's so young, but we're seeing what he's capable of (I owned him in fantasy late last year also, and he showed this type of potential more than a few times when given starters minutes).

Hereeeeeeeee's hopin'!

PlezPlayDKnicks
12-03-2010, 04:59 PM
A majority of the last draft is making little to no impact or even looking like promising players. A majority of this years rookies look really bad.

MiamiWadeCounty
12-03-2010, 07:24 PM
love and beas. we all knew michael was good, but now hes getting the ball and excelling on offense

goose15
12-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Eric Gordon
Landry Fields
Westbrook

KingPosey
12-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Westbrook or griffin for me. DEFINITELY not LOve. Yah he is a beast on rebounding, but he is a PF/C barely shooting over 40%. Thats garbage.

Baller1
12-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Know-it-call anecdote #2: In my online draft when it finally came to rd. 12 and Darko was staring at me straight in the eyes, I swooped him up with a smile. One of my buddies writes in the comment section, "DARKO?? HAH!". My response was something like, "Dude's a fly-swatter. And watch out, cause he's starting this year and has the full backing of the owner to be given time to get it going. Monster possibilities there".

I still don't know that I'm going to be right when it's all said and done being that the season's so young, but we're seeing what he's capable of (I owned him in fantasy late last year also, and he showed this type of potential more than a few times when given starters minutes).

Hereeeeeeeee's hopin'!

You're so cool.

:)

I'm Seriously
12-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Definitely Blake Griffin.

I figured he'd be good, and maybe great down the line, but to be putting up 20/11 this early....It's absurd.

JayW_1023
12-04-2010, 07:28 AM
Rondo. He has become the best pure point in the NBA in my opinion. Watching him is far more exciting than just great athletes like Westbrook and Rose IMO. He always does something exciting, like yesterday when he turned an offensive rebound into a no look assist for a layup. Alot of players can dunk or cross up but how many players can do that?

PennyMy#1
12-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Griffin, Richard Jefferson, Hibbert, Love, Beasley (somehow), Westbrook (only a little, it was clear he will have a breakout someday) and Landry Fields.

I wonder, everybody is only talking about positive suprises ... no negative surprises here ?

Blazers#1Fan
12-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Wesley Matthews .

THIS

has anybody watched him the guy is killin he was on the bench for the start of the year now he's putting up numbers besides the Wizards game and games he didnt get alot of minutes! but he has been putting up 20-30ppg when he does get minutes and starts

tredigs
12-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Rondo. He has become the best pure point in the NBA in my opinion. Watching him is far more exciting than just great athletes like Westbrook and Rose IMO. He always does something exciting, like yesterday when he turned an offensive rebound into a no look assist for a layup. Alot of players can dunk or cross up but how many players can do that?

A lot of truth right here.

And good call on Mathews. He's actually earned himself a starting spot at this point, so we'll see what he can do for ~36 minutes night in/night out.

DitchDat
12-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Homer pick but I'd have to say Rondo. Honestly, did anyone expect him to become even better from last year?

Obvious picks: Blake Griffin, Landry Fields, Russ Westbrook etc.

Rafer17
12-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Matthews, Darko, Beasly

Gram
12-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Westbrook and Conley.

GIANTKNICK
12-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Bosh - didnt know he was that soft and that hes basicly a jump shooter

Felton - Knew he was all right but he has been playing at a alstar pace. Love the way he controlls the pace of the game and his shot is way better then what i thoght

Khalifa21
12-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Amar'e Stoudemire
Raymond Felton
Landry Fields

KingPosey
12-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Bosh - didnt know he was that soft and that hes basicly a jump shooter

Felton - Knew he was all right but he has been playing at a alstar pace. Love the way he controlls the pace of the game and his shot is way better then what i thoght

again, Love is shoting 40%. How bad did u think his shot was to begin with?

fadedmario
12-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Rodney Stuckey has improved and developed a signature move (blow by everyone before they get set). Pistons need to lock him up imo.

pebloemer
12-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Fields, Matthews, Gay, Scola

bovice163
12-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Gay, Eric Gordon, Love. I would put Felton on there too, but I expected him to do well in the Knicks system.

drobe86
12-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Dirk.... I didn't know he would continue to play at all star level in his 13th season. MVP of the league so far.

Slimsim
12-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Probably amare Didn't think he would be as good without Nash