PDA

View Full Version : Magic coach turns up heat on LeBron coverage

Cubs Win
12-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Stan Van Gundy, whose Orlando Magic are off to an impressive 14-4 start, chided the excessive media coverage of the Miami Heat and their celebrated triumvirate of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

"Isn't that all anybody cares about, the Heat? Was the chemistry good? Did they all get along?" Van Gundy said after the Magic's 107-78 trouncing of the Bulls on Wednesday at the United Center. "I mean (Thursday), the only thing that is going to be on ESPN is LeBron going back to Cleveland, right? Because we don't have a Brett Favre story (Thursday), and ESPN only covers two stories: Brett Favre and the Miami Heat ... and you've got about five minutes for the rest of the sports world."
Asked if his team uses the media's over-indulgence in the Heat as a motivating factor, Van Gundy said: "Just today, while I was doing my (pre-game) work, I had the TV on, and it's just funny. It's the whole story. You would think there is no one else playing in the league. I mean, they're a bigger story than the two-time defending champions. They're a bigger story than the San Antonio Spurs, who are off to a great start. They are a bigger story than the Boston Celtics, who went to the Finals last year. They're a bigger story than the NFL. They're THE story.

"It just seems like it's the only thing people are interested in. So, yeah, I am sort of having some fun with that. Not with (the Heat) and their problems. I don't have any problems with them. The coverage is a little crazy. And (Thursday) will be just absurd. It will be the only thing on ESPN the entire day. I don't understand it. Yes, LeBron is going to go back and play another game in Cleveland. Yes, we get that. They will interview people on the street. That's great sports journalism."

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/12/magic-coach-turns-up-heat-on-lebron-coverage.html

Edit: And just to be clear I'm not trying to bait Heat fans. I just thought it was an interesting take on ESPN, that I'm starting to agree with more and more.

D Roses Bulls
12-02-2010, 06:22 PM
"I mean (Thursday), the only thing that is going to be on ESPN is LeBron going back to Cleveland, right? Because we don't have a Brett Favre story (Thursday), and ESPN only covers two stories: Brett Favre and the Miami Heat ... and you've got about five minutes for the rest of the sports world."

He couldn't of said it any better......... ESPN is a ****ing joke

D Roses Bulls
12-02-2010, 06:24 PM
LeBron is going to go back and play another game in Cleveland. Yes, we get that. They will interview people on the street. That's great sports journalism."

Love that little shot as well at espn, lol

ManRam
12-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Probably not really thread worthy, stan is just speaking his mind, and isn't even really saying anything controversial. ESPN is successful for a reason; they know hire to cater to the masses. Just look any where, the water cooler, people walking around, here on psd...everyone is interested, so obviously espn is going to milk it for all its worth. Call ESPN a joke, but there's a reason they are basically a monopoly. They do their job well and appease the largest crowd.

again, nothing here. If I'm him, I'm happy they get all the attention. He's probably just saying this to feed the media storm even more.

Don't blame espn though...blame everyone for caring, which is something you can't really actually blame

D1JM
12-02-2010, 06:30 PM
the magic hold us to 21 rebounds last night which was a franchise low, and that wasnt a story on their impressive win.

westbrook and thunder beat the nets in 3ot= not a story

all i kept on seeing was lebron's return

D Roses Bulls
12-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Probably not really thread worthy, stan is just speaking his mind, and isn't even really saying anything controversial. ESPN is successful for a reason; they know hire to cater to the masses. Just look any where, the water cooler, people walking around, here on psd...everyone is interested, so obviously espn is going to milk it for all its worth.

again, nothing here. If I'm him, I'm happy they get all the attention. He's probably just saying this to feed the media storm even more.

Don't blame espn though...blame everyone for caring, which is something you can't really actually blame

I got a problem with two things you said. First of all ESPN is only successful because they really are the only 24 hour network that talks about sports. No one else does that which if comcast sports had a channel where all they did was talk about sporting news, id watch them to be honest, but they dont. we dont have no other choice but to watch ESPN, its the only one out there. for two, the only reason people talk about the heat on here is because its all thats in the media. I made a comment in the other thread to I believe INK the other day when he was saying about calming these heat threads down and If you had looked on ESPN basketball page that day, 5 of the top 10 stories were about the heat.

D Roses Bulls
12-02-2010, 06:31 PM
the magic hold us to 21 rebounds last night which was a franchise low, and that wasnt even a story lol

yea or like on the front page yesterday, they had the heat playing the pistons as a story because it was one night before the heat played the cavs. you didnt see the bulls who are in first place, playing the magic who are in first place with the addition of boozer returning and playing his first game with the bulls. they treated it like a non story.

D1JM
12-02-2010, 06:33 PM
espn didnt even care about the USA bid for the world cup. A lot of jobs would of been created

tcav701
12-02-2010, 06:35 PM
I wish Stan was my uncle.

D Roses Bulls
12-02-2010, 06:36 PM
espn didnt even care about the USA bid for the world cup. A lot of jobs would of been created

but they care about obamas stitches and what obama has to say about the heat, lol....... I really wish ted turner would start a 24 hour sports network. the turner networks have the best coverage anyways.

Cubs Win

Yeah, when I'm in my dorm I have ESPN on almost all the time and I didn't even know this was going on until I saw Facebook statuses about Russia and Qatar getting it this morning. Sure I'm not an avid soccer fan and don't follow it too much, but this is something I thought I would have heard about.

bringinwood
It's not just about what's going on in the entire world of sports, it's about what people are going to watch...

If it's determined that 65 % of the people would watch the LeBron saga religiously and only 12 % are going to watch continous coverage of the Thunder beating the Net's, guess who gets the time slot...

If Kevin Durant demanded a trade today, that would litter the headlines till it was settled...

TheHoopsProphet
12-02-2010, 06:38 PM
STD is a joke, ESPN is mor ov an marketin company than a sports jurnalism brass, everyperson knows this. Sports journeyism is scene more in local media and innernet sites. And how could he not see why lejams coveridge is impotent? this will be one of the greatest moments in sports histories, i should be studyin for finals but im just reading coverage on this match all day. and yah maybe its bcuz im lonelee, but stfu

D Roses Bulls
12-02-2010, 06:39 PM
It's not just about what's going on in the entire world of sports, it's about what people are going to watch...

If it's determined that 65 % of the people would watch the LeBron saga religiously and only 12 % are going to watch continous coverage of the Thunder beating the Net's, guess who gets the time slot...

If Kevin Durant demanded a trade today, that would litter the headlines till it was settled...

No I bet the heat-cavs game would still be the number 1 topic and then brett favre and they might have 2 minutes to talk about durrant then.

bringinwood
12-02-2010, 06:39 PM

How many people in the US watch the world cup... I'm guess the World Cup gets about 20 % of the viewing audience of a nationally televised basketball or football game...

ManRam
12-02-2010, 06:40 PM
I got a problem with two things you said. First of all ESPN is only successful because they really are the only 24 hour network that talks about sports. No one else does that which if comcast sports had a channel where all they did was talk about sporting news, id watch them to be honest, but they dont. we dont have no other choice but to watch ESPN, its the only one out there. for two, the only reason people talk about the heat on here is because its all thats in the media. I made a comment in the other thread to I believe INK the other day when he was saying about calming these heat threads down and If you had looked on ESPN basketball page that day, 5 of the top 10 stories were about the heat.

If espn is so terrible and sucks so much, some other chanel would theoretically surpass it. There are thousands of channels...many in direct competition with each other. ESPN is, again, the best at what they do because they appease the most people they can by reporting on stories that we are interested in, whether we admit it or not. More people care about the heat, favre, tiger etc. than the clippers, matt cassel, bubba watson etc.

I hate the heat coverage, but it sells and gets high ratings.

And blaming the media for us being so concerned with the issues we are is hilarious. The media feeds us what we want. We are what shapes them. There is some influence from them on us, but their main goal is viewers, so they have to make us happy. If we don't want it, they wont report it. If we do, they will gamer it to a pulp. ESPN or not, this heat story is a top 5 of all time.

Raph12
12-02-2010, 06:41 PM
It's true, but Stan needs to get over it, who cares?

TheHoopsProphet
i wish stan was my uncle.

bringinwood
No I bet the heat-cavs game would still be the number 1 topic and then brett favre and they migh have 2 minutes to talk about durrant then.

Why would you think that it is structured that way ???

Do you think that ESPN wants to turn their viewing audience away ???

They want to keep you plugged in... If they start covering the Nets religiously, they won't have a viewing audience for long...

People watch Favre and LeBron... They don't watch Brook Lopez and Sage Rosenfels...

dnewguy
12-02-2010, 06:42 PM
but they care about obamas stitches and what obama has to say about the heat, lol....... I really wish ted turner would start a 24 hour sports network. the turner networks have the best coverage anyways.

Republican in the HOUSE. Dude you better take your politics idiocy and stick it somewhere else. We get it already, you love Sarah Palin.

Back on topic, I find it funny that Van Gundy never pass up a chance to take a shot at the Miami Heat. He seems to be the only one always complaining.

ManRam
12-02-2010, 06:43 PM

well that's news that is over a decade from even mattering. Also, you know that the majority of americans aren't going to be interested in a soccer happening over ten years from now than they are in the hate fest that is taking place tonight. We love hate, scandal, tension, anger and emotion. That's why we love this story.

Hustlenomics
12-02-2010, 06:43 PM
i like how he says what's on his mind and doesn't sugar coat anything and be fake like another player in this league..

Cubs Win
12-02-2010, 06:45 PM
i like how he says what's on his mind and doesn't sugar coat anything and be fake like another player in this league..

As much as I don't like how he gets flustered and the way he coaches (not the style he coaches his players to play, but the way he does it seemingly), that's what I love about him. He says what he feels. He doesn't worry about how people will perceive it. I respect that.

D Roses Bulls
12-02-2010, 06:49 PM
If espn is so terrible and sucks so much, some other chanel would theoretically surpass it. They're are thousands of channels...many in direct competition with each other. ESPN is, again, the best at what they do because they appease the most people they can by reporting on stories that we are interested in, whether we admit it or not. More people care about the heat, favre, tiger etc. than the clippers, matt cassel, bubba watson etc.

I hate the heat coverage, but it sells and gets high ratings.

And blaming the media for us being so concerned with the issues we are is hilarious. The media feeds us what we want. We are what shapes them. There is some influence from them on us, but their main goal is viewers, so they have to make us happy. If we don't want it, they wont report it. If we do, they will gamer it to a pulp. ESPN or not, this heat story is a top 5 of all time.

dude tell me one other sports channel on basic cable because thats whatm most americans have that talks about sports 24/7. hell I have all the channels and I can't even think of another channel that has sports news on all day. the reason I leave it on is for the ticker at the bottom to be honest. then when comcast sports shows come on, i watch them.

Now everybody was so interested in the Miami thing when it first happen and even the first game, but its been a month since their first game. who the hell wants to know about the heat keeping their travel plans silent? seriously...... I dont know how often you go on daily dime on ESPN, but everytime I have been on there, they (a lot of people) always asked zach harper, matt mchale, and ect when ESPN will stop this heat hype and they give the same answer as you do, but a lot of people are like me, they dont watch ESPN for the heat coverage, they watch it because its basically the only sporting news network on all the time. and how can you not blame the media coverage for our topics on here? if someone doesnt post something the media says, and make up their own topic they get ridiculed on here and you should even know that. 50-60 percent of the topics that are made up off the top of peoples head arnt ridiculed on here. I mean come on manram, you talk about people posting heat threads on here and complain about it, but you think its ok that ESPN talks about it all the time? and please tell me one person that still gives a F about brett favre in this world? I know viking fans that are tired of him and they talk about him all the time. now how is brett favre in the best interest of the people or what people want when everybody i know even on here is sick of him.

D Roses Bulls
12-02-2010, 06:51 PM
well that's news that is over a decade from even mattering. Also, you know that the majority of americans aren't going to be interested in a soccer happening over ten years from now than they are in the hate fest that is taking place tonight. We love hate, scandal, tension, anger and emotion. That's why we love this story.

but they covered the 2016 Olympic bid by chicago and that was 7 years away when they were reporting it. soccer technically is the biggest sport in the world and ESPN goes all over the world. so how would that not bring in ratings? even if you dont like soccer, you are still interested and watch the world cup. I know I do.

jackdawson
12-02-2010, 06:53 PM
LOL...Stan sounds as usual, a big time cry baby.

ManRam
12-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Last thing. The media can corrupt our opinions...but sorts media especially is unable to corrupt significantly our desires. We dictate what they show. Espn now shows the nba twice a week instead of something like hockey or water polo because that's how they can garner the largest audience. The SEC is on CBS instead of the MAAC because that's what the majority of the viewers want. We dictate what they cover, they can dictate how we think to a certain extent, but most of us have spines. If ESPN treated the T-macs return to houston like they are treating tonight, they lose a lot of money and a lot of viewers

D Roses Bulls
12-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Republican in the HOUSE. Dude you better take your politics idiocy and stick it somewhere else. We get it already, you love Sarah Palin.

Back on topic, I find it funny that Van Gundy never pass up a chance to take a shot at the Miami Heat. He seems to be the only one always complaining.

dont ever call me a republican. I am not a republican. there are other parties besides republicans and democrats.

LeBitteNoir
12-02-2010, 06:56 PM
With an attitude like that, no wonder Stan Van Gundy has family issues.

ManRam
12-02-2010, 06:58 PM
With an attitude like that, no wonder Stan Van Gundy has family issues.

He has family issues...?

D Roses Bulls
12-02-2010, 07:00 PM
I wish Stan was my uncle.

+1 poopsprophet I guess doesnt like stan.

tcav701
12-02-2010, 07:02 PM
+1 poopsprophet I guess doesnt like stan.

It would be great to get him trashed and watch him freak out at family gatherings.

Constant youtube material.

D Roses Bulls
12-02-2010, 07:04 PM
It would be great to get him trashed and watch him freak out at family gatherings.

Constant youtube material.

LMAO........ +1 again

Durant is hype
12-02-2010, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=ManRamForPrez24;15766295]Probably not really thread worthy, stan is just speaking his mind, and isn't even really saying anything controversial. ESPN is successful for a reason; they know hire to cater to the masses. Just look any where, the water cooler, people walking around, here on psd...everyone is interested, so obviously espn is going to milk it for all its worth. Call ESPN a joke, but there's a reason they are basically a monopoly. They do their job well and appease the largest crowd.

Don't blame espn though...blame everyone for caring, which is something you can't really actually blame[/QUOT

End thread. :speechless:

D Roses Bulls
12-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Why would you think that it is structured that way ???

Do you think that ESPN wants to turn their viewing audience away ???

They want to keep you plugged in... If they start covering the Nets religiously, they won't have a viewing audience for long...

People watch Favre and LeBron... They don't watch Brook Lopez and Sage Rosenfels...

Favre........ I dont know anyone that gives a crap about favre anymore.

kswissdaf
12-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Just saying espn like any other news source is a reflection of the people. They show what the people want to see

Carey
12-02-2010, 07:25 PM

Hey, dont even joke like that :mad: lol