PDA

View Full Version : Quit shooting Kobe, get it to Pau

fadedmario
12-02-2010, 11:44 AM
First off this is not a bash Kobe thread (i'm a fan of his). I heard this stat this morning and found it interesting. When Kobe attempts 20 or more FG the Lakers are 6-6. When he attempts less than 20 they are 7-0. Thoughts on this?

Double_R
12-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Lakers forum

Baller1
12-02-2010, 12:02 PM
To me, it seems like Kobe is going back to his "ballhog" mentality that he did a good job of ridding himself of. I don't know why he'd be going back to a method that didn't work, but that's what it seems like he's doing. He's looked like complete **** in the ends of games, although the entire Laker team has lately.

ManRam
12-02-2010, 12:03 PM
I like to find ways to bash Kobe, I'll admit, but now isn't a time.

Sure, the Lakers are 7-0 when he attempts fewer than 20 shots, but it's not as simple as "shoot less, let Pay shoot more". Pau was great early on, but he's clearly fatigued. He's logged the third most minutes of any player in the league, he's playing almost 40 a game, and the Lakers really have no big men on the bench right now. I don't think that's entirely the case, and the sole reason the Lakers are struggling, because Gasol has averaged 37 a game the last few years. I think some of it has to be on Kobe, because quite frankly, he just hasn't been elite. But Gasol hasn't been capitalizing on his touches either. It's just not as simple as Kobe needs to shoot less and Pau needs to shoot more. It never is.

Kobe does lead the league in FGA, at 400. Pau is 20th at 285. Pau has made the 8th most (151) compared to Kobe's lead leading 171.

They're fine. No reason to panic. When Drew gets back, Pau can rest a bit more, and stay fresh. Right now, he really is just fatigued. But Kobe does look a bit like the Kobe when the Lakers failed to make the playoffs right now...just in terms of shots.

mikantsass
12-02-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm all for some good Kobe bashing, but cmon you cant be serious. Way to many people are jumping all over the Lakers.

Raph12
12-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Stop looking at the boxscore and watch a few games before posting, Pau is currently sucking ***, hard. Kobe and Odom have been carrying the team during Pau's struggles, did you know Kobe has a higher PER than Pau? No you didn't... The only reason Pau was putting up nice numbers early while Kobe's looked modest, was because Pau's been playing 39mpg while Kobe had been playing about 32mpg, if you look at stats per36mins Kobe leads the league in scoring.

Teeboy1487
12-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Watch the games. If couple does not attempts shots in those games, the lakers would have been easily blown out. I'm usually hard on Kobe but he on shoots when his teammates start struggling. I woud rather he shoots less but I would rather the team play a little better. They are garbage right now. It's early. Things can change.

sp1derm00
12-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Stop looking at the boxscore and watch a few games before posting, Pau is currently sucking ***, hard. Kobe and Odom have been carrying the team during Pau's struggles, did you know Kobe has a higher PER than Pau? No you didn't... The only reason Pau was putting up nice numbers early while Kobe's looked modest, was because Pau's been playing 39mpg while Kobe had been playing about 32mpg, if you look at stats per36mins Kobe leads the league in scoring.

While his FG% is horrible, his TS% is only a bit worse than last years. Also, partly why Kobe's FG% has been looking horrible is because of the time he sits on the bench. For those of you that have ever watched a Lakers game instead of just checking out the box score, Kobe actually starts off games pretty well, often shooting above 50%. Then he's taken out after the first and isn't put back in for about 4-5 minutes into the 2nd and it seems like his shot is always off after that point.

Pau is tired. Odom seemed tired after his awesome start, but is looking back to form lately, which I hope happens to Pau as well.

Our biggest problem is that we have no depth in the front court right now. Caracter, Artest, and Barnes are playing minutes at PF, and they don't have the size for it.

Haters are gonna hate, but for the others, please watch games before you pass judgment.

Raph12
12-02-2010, 12:41 PM
While his FG% is horrible, his TS% is only a bit worse than last years. Also, partly why Kobe's FG% has been looking horrible is because of the time he sits on the bench. For those of you that have ever watched a Lakers game instead of just checking out the box score, Kobe actually starts off games pretty well, often shooting above 50%. Then he's taken out after the first and isn't put back in for about 4-5 minutes into the 2nd and it seems like his shot is always off after that point.

Pau is tired. Odom seemed tired after his awesome start, but is looking back to form lately, which I hope happens to Pau as well.

Our biggest problem is that we have no depth in the front court right now. Caracter, Artest, and Barnes are playing minutes at PF, and they don't have the size for it.

Haters are gonna hate, but for the others, please watch games before you pass judgment.

That's exactly my point, Kobe's been right where he was for the last 3 years or so (~24 PER), Pau started well but has really struggled against big defensive centers (Noah, Marc, Hibbert, etc...), telling him to take more shots when struggling is just stupid.

Kobe's shooting has been justified, plain and simple.

mikantsass
12-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Noone is waiting for Bynum to come back more than Pau

BklynKnicks3
12-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Watch ur mouth when u speak about the GOAT

Geargo Wallace
12-02-2010, 12:50 PM
... seen this before. hahahaha

cambovenzi
12-02-2010, 12:54 PM
First off this is not a bash Kobe thread (i'm a fan of his). I heard this stat this morning and found it interesting. When Kobe attempts 20 or more FG the Lakers are 6-6. When he attempts less than 20 they are 7-0. Thoughts on this?

Ill break it down in three major points of why your conclusions are ridiculous.

1. Kobe is one of the best volume scorers of alltime and arguably the best player in the league. I have no problem with him getting a lot of shots.

2. Pau has struggled, moreso than kobe, in some of these losses.
5 of 13 and 5 of 15 in the last two games. one with 5 turnovers.

Now for the thread-breaking factor, which is overlooked and should be common sense:

3. When the lakers are in close games or losing, Kobe has to shoot more.
If they are winning, he can relax and watch the game from the sidelines or not worry about scoring.
So what ends up happening is he has more shots in losses than wins. its a misconception that the losses are BECAUSE of those shots, which they usually are not.

Niro
12-02-2010, 01:03 PM
lol i guess 4 or 5 games where kobe shoots under 20 shots are blowouts where kobe also only plays 25 minutes...

Avenged
12-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Kobe is the same player he has always been and is shooting at about the same percentage he did last year while averaging about the same amount of shots [last time I checked it was 1 less]

If you want an indication on how poorly Pau is shooting lately [the past 3 games]:

TS%
39%
49%
41%

eFG%
33%
38%
25%

OUCH..

After starting off so well, he has had a significant decline due to fatigue and from I've read he has a hamstring problem..

So for right now, I think it's best if Gasol shoots less since he's not converting.

fadedmario
12-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Kobe's one of my favorite players (I liked the way he handled himself after the Pistons beat him in 04 , he was classy). I didn't start this thread to piss off Laker fans. I enjoy watching the Lakers (always have since 1985). I just saw the stat and though it would be a good topic for conversation. And the thread title is just tongue and cheek. I didn't know Pau was also struggling.

Chronz
12-02-2010, 01:41 PM
From what Ive read Kobes been abandoning the triangle more frequently to get his shots so maybe he doesnt need to stop shooting but he needs to stop freelancing according to Phil.

Geargo Wallace
12-02-2010, 01:47 PM
this thread is about as good as Kobe's rapping career

Ollie Tabooger
12-02-2010, 02:28 PM
^^ Seriously. If a thread was made like this about Lebron, Daleja would come in here and close it in two seconds.