PDA

View Full Version : Landry Fields named Rookie of The Month

knicks09
12-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Thursday, December 2, 2010
By Charlie Zegers
MSG.com

Click this bar to view the full image.

Knicks guard Landry Fields has been named NBA Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month for November – the first Knick rookie to be honored since Channing Frye in November 2005.

Fields won the Knicks’ starting shooting guard job with a strong training camp and preseason, and has impressed with his heady play and excellent rebounding. Fields ranks fourth among NBA rookies in scoring (10.8 ppg), second in boards (7.1 rpg) and is in the top ten in steals, assists and three-pointers made. He’s also shown what Clyde Frazier would call an “uncanny” knack for put-back slam dunks off offensive rebounds.

Not bad for the 39th overall pick.

Of course, Fields’ candidacy was helped by the fact that John Wall – Washington’s excellent rookie point guard – missed six games with a foot injury.

Fields is just the fourth Knick to win Rookie of the Month honors. The others were Frye, Mark Jackson and Patrick Ewing. (Jackson was honored three times in 1987-88, Ewing twice in 1985-86.) Jackson and Ewing, of course, went on to win Rookie of the Year honors as well.

The last second-round pick to win was Detroit’s Jonas Jerebko, honored for his performances in February 2010.

The Clippers’ Blake Griffin was named Rookie of the Month for the Western Conference.
By far the steal of the draft considering he was a 2nd Round pick

Duncan = Donkey
12-02-2010, 08:08 AM
He won it by default. If John Wall is playing he doesn't get a sniff. Definitely Knick forum material.

KnicksorBust
12-02-2010, 08:33 AM
No one is saying he's better than Wall but won it by default? There are still a lot of other Eastern Conference Rookies drafted ahead of him who he's outperforming. Plus he's leading all NBA Guards in rebounds...Come on give some him some props. :) Sometimes I feel like people don't realize how much of a crapshoot the draft can be outside of the top 6-7 picks. To find a guy like him in the 2nd round... who can come in and contribute immediately is phenomenal.

GMEN4EVER
12-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Good to see him get the recognition here. Won't ever score a ton, but he's a great glue guy. Just does a little bit of everything, and does all of those things well. He's not someone who will lead a team, but role players like Fields are vital on a winning team.

goose15
12-02-2010, 10:12 AM
thats what Im talking bout... steal of the draft

BringBackOakley
12-02-2010, 10:17 AM
He won it by default. If John Wall is playing he doesn't get a sniff. Definitely Knick forum material.

Fine by me. What that tells me is he's the second best rookie in the east. I'll take that for a 39th pick every time. That's why they call it a "steal".

mjt20mik
12-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Wall is starting to get healthy now. On top of that Ed Davis played his first game yesterday, and it led to a Raps win. He had a pretty solid line for 24 minutes.

That being said, kudos to him for playing well. Well deserved.

Slimsim
12-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Well deserve lando Fields

PrettyBoyJ
12-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Fields is a stud.. Blue Collar kind of player.. wait til he develops fully he's gonna be a caron butler kinda of player

ball4reel
12-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Great drafting by the NY Knicks!!!!!!!!!!!

HOZ THE KNICK
12-02-2010, 11:23 AM
good job

king4day
12-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Good for him.
He's gonna make the rookie team this year and half the league still doesn't know who he is.

BklynKnicks3
12-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Suns fans is mad we got Amare. What hap i thought Amare wont be the same with out Nash

jmlbnks26
12-02-2010, 12:48 PM

Its funny how the first comment came from a notorius hater. Thats all you do. Give credit and move on.

yankeesown69
12-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Suns fans is mad we got Amare. What hap i thought Amare wont be the same with out Nash

Please don't give us knicks fans a bad name by trolling. Amar'e has nothing to do with this thread...and plus the suns fan had something nice to say about Landry.

Anyways, Landry has been really consistent and plays with his heart out on the floor every night. He may not be the most skilled but his will power is phenomenal.

Brooklyn Mets
12-02-2010, 01:31 PM
niceeee

NYKnickFanatic
12-02-2010, 01:32 PM

Dont try and start problems with Suns fans for no reason.

beasted86
12-02-2010, 01:48 PM
People might think I'm hating, but I don't get how he won over John Wall even with the injuries. Fields is averaging 10.8 PPG, 7.1 REB with no real impact on blocks steals or assists. Wall is averaging more points, steals, assists, blocks, 3PT%, FT%, etc.. He's had more of an impact on his team.

Slimsim
12-02-2010, 02:01 PM
People might think I'm hating, but I don't get how he won over John Wall even with the injuries. Fields is averaging 10.8 PPG, 7.1 REB with no real impact on blocks steals or assists. Wall is averaging more points, steals, assists, blocks, 3PT%, FT%, etc.. He's had more of an impact on his team.

Yes but wall is also the number 1 option as for fields is the 5th option on his team. And also people always talk about well they put up good stats on losing teams but Landry putting up good stats and is helping us win no matter who we are playing. And landry was a second round pick which people don't seem to understand.

fadedmario
12-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Congrats NY fans. Good young 2nd round talent. This year's Jerebko

PlezPlayDKnicks
12-02-2010, 02:15 PM

We have a second round pick bounding as well as ur max power forward. He has no plays called for him but just contributes to winning games. He's looking way better than any rookie not named Wall or Blake. And that's great for a 39th pick.

29$JerZ
12-02-2010, 02:18 PM

Leading NBA guard in rebounds, 39th pick vs. 1st pick, shooting extremely efficient, contributing to a winning team as of now. Why not? How is Landry not contributing to the knicks like Wall is to Washington? You do know he is our starter?

beasted86
12-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Yes but wall is also the number 1 option as for fields is the 5th option on his team. And also people always talk about well they put up good stats on losing teams but Landry putting up good stats and is helping us win no matter who we are playing. And landry was a second round pick which people don't seem to understand.
I understand the 'wow' factor of being a 2nd round pick, but he's still not playing better than Wall. That's my point.

We have a second round pick bounding as well as ur max power forward. He has no plays called for him but just contributes to winning games. He's looking way better than any rookie not named Wall or Blake. And that's great for a 39th pick.

In the 2nd highest paced team in the NBA, the Heat are the 20th. Aside from that you JUST alluded to the point I was trying to make. Even you admit Wall is playing better... yet Fields won the monthly award. Like I said, I'm not trying to hate on anybody. Wall is just playing better, simple as that.

beasted86
12-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Leading NBA guard in rebounds, 39th pick vs. 1st pick, shooting extremely efficient, contributing to a winning team as of now. Why not? How is Landry not contributing to the knicks like Wall is to Washington? You do know he is our starter?

So the award is given for how good a player is playing vs. where he was picked?

Wall is playing better. Everybody including Knick fans know this. I don't know why you guys think I'm hating on Fields or anything like that.

But anyway, I understand the reasoning I guess. They wanted to give Fields his 15 minutes of fame in recognition of playing so well as a 2nd round pick. I guess they figure Wall will get enough of these over the season and decided to give it to the other guy for now.

29$JerZ
12-02-2010, 02:28 PM

Wall is playing better. Everybody including Knick fans know this. I don't know why you guys think I'm hating on Fields or anything like that.

Saying a guard who has played all of his games, is healthy, contribuiting, and doing things well above average for a 2nd rounder vs. the 1st pick who is injured doesn't deserve some type of praise is the problem.

Landry was the best rookie in the East this month, its not a big deal if Wall loses out; he's injured.

NYY 26 to 7
12-02-2010, 02:30 PM

I don't think anyone is going to say he is the best rookie but to even be considering him as 2nd or 3rd is pretty impressive. If you watch him play he just does everything well. Nothing great but just solid all around and has a huge impact without needing the ball in his hands. We're proud of what this guy is doing and just because the #1 pick is better doesn't mean that he shouldn't be appreciated.

Plus your right I think they want to recognize others Wall will get plenty of these and prob ROY too so while hes hurt recognize someone who is really playing well. Basketball fans will appreciate watching a guy like Fields - not going to make you say wow but just does all the little things like Battier.

Giaps
12-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Easy guy. Keep it classy.

Giaps
12-02-2010, 02:34 PM
As for Fields vs Wall, it's not about who is better because that's obviously Wall. Fields is clearly playing the 3rd best ball of all the rookies and a lot of what he does doesn't show up in the box score (he is a great intangibles guy). Also Wall only played in 11 games vs Fields' 19 and he has contributed to all of the Knicks' 10 wins.

mjqusoldier
12-02-2010, 02:49 PM

But anyway, I understand the reasoning I guess. They wanted to give Fields his 15 minutes of fame in recognition of playing so well as a 2nd round pick. I guess they figure Wall will get enough of these over the season and decided to give it to the other guy for now.

ok but Wall isnt winning very much games

Tha Truth
12-02-2010, 02:57 PM
I love Landry Fields game. As of right now he is definitely the steal of the draft.

DoMeFavors
12-02-2010, 04:25 PM
I feel like there is a thread on Landry Fields everyday.

arkanian215
12-02-2010, 04:28 PM
I feel like there is a thread on Landry Fields everyday.

This one's thread worthy though, should've mentioned both ROTM's in the title but whatever.

PlezPlayDKnicks
12-02-2010, 04:57 PM
If it was Favors would u mind.... It's just a surprise for a dude not even on experts draft boards is playing this well.. I honestly don't like Knicks threads on the NBA forum bcuz it always turns into a bash thread.

Dnovakovic099
12-02-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't know what people are arguing about? Wall is better, yes. But guess what he didn't play and Fields won. Oden is better than many rookies drafted that year, but he isn't playing. I am not saying that Wall is the next Oden because lets hope that never happens, but give Fields credit. He has been playing well. One thing though, Knicks fans you are a little homer. You are one game above five hundred and have only beat one playoff team despite the fact that you have a top ten point guard, in your opinion, a stud and all-star, in your opinion, the next great European player that you compared to Dirk before the season started, the third best rookie in the draft, and a great sixth man of the bench. I believe you guys are over valuating your players immensely.

dtmagnet
12-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Congrats to Lando Calrissian er... Fields.

arkanian215
12-02-2010, 05:18 PM
One thing though, Knicks fans you are a little homer. You are one game above five hundred and have only beat one playoff team despite the fact that you have a top ten point guard, in your opinion, a stud and all-star, in your opinion, the next great European player that you compared to Dirk before the season started, the third best rookie in the draft, and a great sixth man of the bench. I believe you guys are over valuating your players immensely.

This might address what Giaps was talking about in the other thread.

AddiX
12-02-2010, 05:48 PM
I don't know what people are arguing about? Wall is better, yes. But guess what he didn't play and Fields won. Oden is better than many rookies drafted that year, but he isn't playing. I am not saying that Wall is the next Oden because lets hope that never happens, but give Fields credit. He has been playing well. One thing though, Knicks fans you are a little homer. You are one game above five hundred and have only beat one playoff team despite the fact that you have a top ten point guard, in your opinion, a stud and all-star, in your opinion, the next great European player that you compared to Dirk before the season started, the third best rookie in the draft, and a great sixth man of the bench. I believe you guys are over valuating your players immensely.

I'm pretty sure that can be said about any group of fans in any sport. Def not just Knick fans because if you go into our forums you'll see lots of us ripping our own players on a normal basis.

What's more concerning is the real truth that most of you who knock Fields never even watched him play. You don't know a thing about him, yet your in this thread ripping him because he doesn't have the highlights or the name recognition a Griffin or Wall does.

If you want to knock our record and use it as a reason as to why we suck than maybe you need to realize we have 10 new players and 2 rookies starting and 4 new players in the starting line-up.

We had our losing streak and have gone 7 for 8 since. So yeah, for a team who has had losing seasons for 9 straight years, were happy and maybe we do over-rate players.

But you can't argue against Fields as a top rookie and steal.
You can't argue that Felton isn't playing great basketball no matter where you want to rank him.
And You can't argue that Amare is not in the MVP running the way he's playing.
And Gallo may not be the next Dirk, but when his shots are dropping, your in trouble.

Dnovakovic099
12-02-2010, 06:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that can be said about any group of fans in any sport. Def not just Knick fans because if you go into our forums you'll see lots of us ripping our own players on a normal basis.

What's more concerning is the real truth that most of you who knock Fields never even watched him play. You don't know a thing about him, yet your in this thread ripping him because he doesn't have the highlights or the name recognition a Griffin or Wall does.

If you want to knock our record and use it as a reason as to why we suck than maybe you need to realize we have 10 new players and 2 rookies starting and 4 new players in the starting line-up.

We had our losing streak and have gone 7 for 8 since. So yeah, for a team who has had losing seasons for 9 straight years, were happy and maybe we do over-rate players.

But you can't argue against Fields as a top rookie and steal.
You can't argue that Felton isn't playing great basketball no matter where you want to rank him.
And You can't argue that Amare is not in the MVP running the way he's playing.
And Gallo may not be the next Dirk, but when his shots are dropping, your in trouble.

First off your 7 and 8 against **** teams. The Knicks are not a top 5 team in the East and would not make the playoffs in the West. Felton is playing great in a great system for stats. Amare is no MVP candidate considering his team only beat one playoff team and that is because Toney Douglas could not miss and they didn't have Boozer. I did not say anything negative about Fields and he is a steal, but your team is no good face it. Felton is nothing more than a 15 and 7 guy on any other team. Amare is a beast, but not an MVP candidate by any means, and no one is ever in trouble against the Knicks in a 7 game playoff series. I don't care if Gallo makes 50 percent of his shot because the Knicks allow to many points.

If you think the Knicks are soo good and that their player's stats aren't a product of their system. I will make you a sig bet. Here it is, the Knicks won't be a top five team in the east and will not advance past the first round of the playoffs.:)

PlezPlayDKnicks
12-02-2010, 06:35 PM
First off your 7 and 8 against **** teams. The Knicks are not a top 5 team in the East and would not make the playoffs in the West. Felton is playing great in a great system for stats. Amare is no MVP candidate considering his team only beat one playoff team and that is because Toney Douglas could not miss and they didn't have Boozer. I did not say anything negative about Fields and he is a steal, but your team is no good face it. Felton is nothing more than a 15 and 7 guy on any other team. Amare is a beast, but not an MVP candidate by any means, and no one is ever in trouble against the Knicks in a 7 game playoff series. I don't care if Gallo makes 50 percent of his shot because the Knicks allow to many points.

If you think the Knicks are soo good and that their player's stats aren't a product of their system. I will make you a sig bet. Here it is, the Knicks won't be a top five team in the east and will not advance past the first round of the playoffs.:)

Nobody is saying we are a contender. Its funny how so many posters hate the knicks and we havent been good in 10 years. People are scared to see us turning the corner. Like it or not the Knicks arent a door mat team anymore. Its not a guaranteed win on the sched. And guess what. This group hasnt even reached its full potential and we have talented people on the bench mending from injuries. Not to mention max money this upcoming summer. Make a sig bet when our team is complete... This is just the start:)

AddiX
12-02-2010, 06:56 PM

Aren't you a bulls fan?
Bulls 9-7
Knicks 10-9

I hardly think you should be going in threads about other teams players and ripping them with a bunch of ignorant *** comments.

Especially when we made your defense look like Swiss cheese. Dropped 120 on you, and you got the nerve to worry about our defense?

It's funny, before they were Knicks, they sucked and wouldn't do anything in NY. Than when they are here and playing well, we hear "It's the system."

You need to chill with all that hate, that's a female emotion, come to NY, I'll point you over to the homo thugs on W 4th. You'll feel right at home.:D

Kashmir13579
12-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Aren't you a bulls fan?
Bulls 9-7
Knicks 10-9

I hardly think you should be going in threads about other teams players and ripping them with a bunch of ignorant *** comments.

Especially when we made your defense look like Swiss cheese. Dropped 120 on you, and you got the nerve to worry about our defense?

It's funny, before they were Knicks, they sucked and wouldn't do anything in NY. Than when they are here and playing well, we hear "It's the system."

You need to chill with all that hate, that's a female emotion, come to NY, I'll point you over to the homo thugs on W 4th. You'll feel right at home.:D

I was gonna respond to it but i think you've done a much better job :D

Evolution23
12-02-2010, 07:16 PM
keep it classy fellas! and congrats to Landry Fields, proving the haters wrong everyday!

lvlheaded
12-02-2010, 07:30 PM
A thread congratulating a rookie for having a good month turns into a bash session. Sheesh can't we all just get a long. Good job Lando, keep up the good work :clap:

hugepatsfan
12-02-2010, 07:32 PM

Agreed. League awards are team specific and have no place in the NBA forum. This is where we discuss things like standings and league awards. Wait...

Daze9900
12-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Aren't you a bulls fan?
Bulls 9-7
Knicks 10-9

+1 I rarely comment but this was worthy of a response as well. Too many Knicks haters who hate without even having an understanding of the team. For him to make those comments made no sense. All fans praise the players playing on their own team. Knicks fans are the first to rag on a player when they are not playing well. They recognize when players are playing well. The Knicks are still in the process of putting it together and when Amare plays well, Felton plays well and Gallo's shot is falling the Knicks are becoming tough to beat. Provide that with Production of Chandler and Douglass at times we are becoming more deadly. Leave the hate alone guys, the Knicks are back. Nobody is saying that we will win the championship but give credit where credit is due. They have turned the losing around and now its time to become consistent and better on both ends of the floor. Oh yeah Landry Fields is rookie of the month anyhow you wanna slice it.

Duncan = Donkey
12-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Its funny how the first comment came from a notorius hater. Thats all you do. Give credit and move on.

Notorious Hater???. :laugh: I hardly ever hate on anyone. I just post what I feel is the truth.

He basically did win it by default, If John Wall was healthy for those games he missed, we would not have won it. That cant be argued. The truth is Fields has been the 2nd best East Rookie. So how am I hating On Fields buy stating a fact??

And no im not sad Amare has left. although we'd be a much better team with him. He doesnt deserve the type of money he is getting.

Duncan = Donkey
12-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Agreed. League awards are team specific and have no place in the NBA forum. This is where we discuss things like standings and league awards. Wait...

Haha, terrible sarcasm.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Cool.

But if both players are healthy, Wall and Griffin should win the R.O.T.M in their conference for the rest of the season.

knicksfan42
12-03-2010, 01:13 AM
And no im not sad Amare has left.
we'd be a much better team with him. He doesnt deserve the type of money he is getting.

We are a much better team with him. If you are saying your team would be a lot better with him right now, then you guys probably should have given him the contract he wanted. Is he overpaid? Yes. Is he terribly overpaid? No, he is a top 5 PF. His contract is the 15th largest this season behind players like Rashard Lewis, Michael Redd, Andrei Kirilenko, Yao Ming, Gilbert Arenas, Vince Carter, and Zach Randolph.

Duncan = Donkey
12-03-2010, 01:33 AM
We are a much better team with him. If you are saying your team would be a lot better with him right now, then you guys probably should have given him the contract he wanted. Is he overpaid? Yes. Is he terribly overpaid? No, he is a top 5 PF. His contract is the 15th largest this season behind players like Rashard Lewis, Michael Redd, Andrei Kirilenko, Yao Ming, Gilbert Arenas, Vince Carter, and Zach Randolph.

There would be no point though, We would not get past the Lakers. They are too big and always kill us on the offensive glass, Amare doesn't help us with that, he isn't a good rebounder.

Nash will retire in 2 years and we will be a lottery team. No point in having an overpayed player who is not worth it when your not competing the championship.

NYsFinest
12-03-2010, 01:49 AM
I don't see why theres even an argument. OBVIOUSLY Wall is better than Fields. However the kid deserves some respect and needs to be noticed since he was under the radar his whole life. This month, since John Wall was injured and the Wizards are struggling is a perfect month to do so. People need to stop saying he's not the best rookie and just admit the kid is a baller.

John Walls Era
12-03-2010, 03:55 AM
Agua right? Hes actually pretty good. Not flashy, so I can't say hes my favorite player.