PDA

View Full Version : Isnt this a double standard?

Hoopsadvocate
12-01-2010, 09:51 PM
First off the Lakers are a great team pretty much guarnateed to make it to the WCF and most likely finals. With that said they just lost 3 in a row to Utah,Indiana,and Memphis. The same teams Miami lost to and were suppose to be in supposed panic mode over losing. Yet when the lakers lose to them its not a big deal? Both team have injuries both teams even have a weakness at the point but for some reason their not measured the same. why?

Just more proof of a double standard in the NBA today? Thoughts

Minimal
12-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Lakers - Champions
Miami - not

Here is the difference.

Baller1
12-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Everyone despises the Heat. That's really the only reason for the double standard.

Hoopsadvocate
12-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Lakers - Champions
Miami - not

Here is the difference.

Agreed thats why i said lakers are a lock for wcf and most likely finals but shouldn't that fact work both ways. By that i mean since they are champs u figure its okay but since the HEAT are brand new dont u figure they will get it together and the loses are more excusable than one from a established team.

tcav701
12-01-2010, 09:59 PM
One of the two teams have PROVEN the are a champonship team.

/thread

TylerSL
12-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Everyone despises the Heat. That's really the only reason for the double standard.

this

Hoopsadvocate
12-01-2010, 10:01 PM
One of the two teams have PROVEN the are a champonship team.

/thread

and dont people usually judge champions harder than anyone else especially new teams cause they expect more? I mean since when do people expect the new guy to win so much yet not think theyll succede.

Like pick a side if u dont want them to win okay u dont expect them to go far but how can u not expect them to win then judge them like they are better than the champs when u supposedly hate them

tcav701
12-01-2010, 10:04 PM
and dont people usually judge champions harder than anyone else especially new teams cause they expect more? I mean since when do people expect the new guy to win so much yet not think theyll succede.

Every team loses games man.

The difference is, you have a potential 3 peat champion that has lost some games. Not a big deal.

A team starting 11-8 after tonight with 11 of 19 games against sub .500 clubs and 12 of 19 games at home is a little different dont you think?

davids22
12-01-2010, 10:08 PM
OP has a point. Everyone says the Lakers will be fine even though they lost 3 in a row to the same teams as the Heat. Lakers are fine because they're champions, and "nothing matters in regular season". But when Heat lost to those teams, it's "panic mode".

Let's be serious here. The Lakers AND the Heat are both going to make the playoffs. We could argue all day about how dominant (or not) one team looks in the regular season or not, but history will tell us over and over that as long as you make the playoffs, the regular season isn't THAT important. Home court is nice, yes, but look at the Celtics. They will most likely half the best record in the East half way through the season and then take the 2nd half off, giving them enough for at least a 4th seed. Then the Celtics will crush.

The Lakers will easily make the playoffs, and then turn on the burners. I expect no less from the Heat. You know Lebron Wade and Bosh will be determined and fire their teammates up during that time. But who knows how far ANY of the aforementioned teams will go. We've all seen the collapse of the #1 seed Cavs for years now.

davids22
12-01-2010, 10:08 PM

The difference is, you have a potential 3 peat champion that has lost some games. Not a big deal.

A team starting 11-8 after tonight with 11 of 19 games against sub .500 clubs and 12 of 19 games at home is a little different dont you think?

The Lakers had a cake-walk schedule to start the season, so no I don't think it's a little different.

tcav701
12-01-2010, 10:10 PM
The Lakers had a cake-walk schedule to start the season, so no I don't think it's a little different.

Ummmm the Lakers will be 14-5 if they win tonight...

Hoopsadvocate
12-01-2010, 10:11 PM

I understand the champs part believe me i tried to point that out in the op as i expect them to compete for it again. But the rest ehhhh..

We both lost to the same 3 teams mentioned now lets look at the rest.

LA : PHx and Denver

Miami: Boston (x2) NO (top 3 seeded team atm), Orlando and Dallas * all top teams in their conf.

So when u look at it like that maybe theyve been misjudged.

tcav701
12-01-2010, 10:16 PM
I understand the champs part believe me i tried to point that out in the op as i expect them to compete for it again. But the rest ehhhh..

Miami: Boston (x2) NO (top 3 seeded team atm), Orlando and Dallas * all top teams in their conf.

That being said,

going into the season, analysts and the overnight growth of Heat PSDers expected 70 wins. Dissapointment is based off of expectations. And wether you personally made these claims or not, the July PSD cult has set the bar on this site that has created this backlash.

hoopitup
12-01-2010, 10:21 PM

No you are just trying to make excuses for the Heat. Its okay the team is doing it so the fans should too..

Hoopsadvocate
12-01-2010, 10:21 PM
That being said,

going into the season, analysts and the overnight growth of Heat PSDers expected 70 wins. Dissapointment is based off of expectations. And wether you personally made these claims or not, the July PSD cult has set the bar on this site that has created this backlash.

I get what ur saying and i think thats a misconception as well. JVG was the one who brought up the topic initially and someone (non HEAT fan) made the thread and heat fans naturally chimed in and said they could win 70+ but very few specified during what season. (which is still posible but obviously not this season) JVG even went on to clarify that he thinks they would need time to gel first before these records could be accomplished. But i know what u mean and that would certainly justify some of it.

D1JM
12-01-2010, 10:24 PM
First off the Lakers are a great team pretty much guarnateed to make it to the WCF and most likely finals. With that said they just lost 3 in a row to Utah,Indiana,and Memphis. The same teams Miami lost to and were suppose to be in supposed panic mode over losing. Yet when the lakers lose to them its not a big deal? Both team have injuries both teams even have a weakness at the point but for some reason their not measured the same. why?

Miami is 1-7 with teams that are +.500

Miami is 9-1 with teams that are -.500

this is why.

Don Starks
12-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Why You Mad Bro?

tcav701
12-01-2010, 10:26 PM
I get what ur saying and i think thats a misconception as well. JVG was the one who brought up the topic initially and someone (non HEAT fan) made the thread and heat fans naturally chimed in and said they could win 70+ but very few specified during what season. (which is still posible but obviously not this season) JVG even went on to clarify that he thinks they would need time to gel first before these records could be accomplished. But i know what u mean and that would certainly justify some of it.

Well I dont consider you one of the fearsome four. I enjoy your posts for the most part so I'll try to explain it this way.

The Lakers, Spurs, Magic, Celtics will not be judged by their regular season performance. Everyonr knows they will coast through the regular season and turn it on in the playoffs.

The Heat have had alot of hype and talk and expectations to dominate every game they play. In the games that were not blowouts, the big 3 have played big minutes and every game they play has the atmosphere and physicality of a playoff game. (when on the road)

Spo knows he has to win nearly every game to keep his job so the fact they cant even keep him safe with this team is a concern.

KnicksorBust
12-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Lakers - Champions
Miami - not

Here is the difference.

I think it's this and the fact that before the Lakers had their losing streak after they were tied for best record in the NBA. If you asked me at the beginning of the year what record the Lakers and Heat would have after 18 games I would have said "They'll probably both be around 13-5." The Lakers are 13-5 and Heat are 10-8 after winning their last game. The Heat for the season are underperforming. Are there logical explanations why? Yes. But sports fans are fickle and tend to ignore things like strength of schedule and point differential. It's a bottom line debate and standings/record are king.

All of this will be irrelevant when the Heat rattle off a double digit win streak in about a month but until then let the debate rage on. No PG or interior D = No Chance ! :)

Hoopsadvocate
12-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Well I dont consider you one of the fearsome four. I enjoy your posts for the most part so I'll try to explain it this way.

The Lakers, Spurs, Magic, Celtics will not be judged by their regular season performance. Everyonr knows they will coast through the regular season and turn it on in the playoffs.

The Heat have had alot of hype and talk and expectations to dominate every game they play. In the games that were not blowouts, the big 3 have played big minutes and every game they play has the atmosphere and physicality of a playoff game. (when on the road)

Spo knows he has to win nearly every game to keep his job so the fact they cant even keep him safe with this team is a concern.

Okay, then let me ask u this. Just to make sure its not a double standard and its just a rookie hazing of sorts.

If the HEAT like the spurs,magic,celtics (obviously exlcuding the champs) make it deep into the playoffs and next year have similar struggles and start off lets say 14-7 with some loses to under .500 teams. Will u give them the same break as spurs magic,celtics since there now expected to make it deep into the playoffs again if not win?

Hoopsadvocate
12-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Miami is 1-7 with teams that are +.500

Miami is 9-1 with teams that are -.500

this is why.

The lakers lost to the same under .500 teams we lost to....

And didnt even play the higher ranked +.500 teams we played.

tcav701
12-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Okay, then let me ask u this. Just to make sure its not a double standard and its just a rookie hazing of sorts.

If the HEAT like the spurs,magic,celtics (obviously exlcuding the champs) make it deep into the playoffs and next year have similar struggles and start off lets say 14-7 with some loses to under .500 teams. Will u give them the same break as spurs magic,celtics since there now expected to make it deep into the playoffs again if not win?

Absolutely.

Once they prove they can go out and compete with the top teams in the postseason, they will establish themselves as a top team.

If Miami can't compete with the top teams now, I have no reason to believe they can in the playoffs untill they PROVE otherwise.

Hoopsadvocate
12-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Absolutely.

Once they prove they can go out and compete with the top teams in the postseason, they will establish themselves as a top team.

If Miami can't compete with the top teams now, I have no reason to believe they can in the playoffs untill they PROVE otherwise.

Great i just hope most people will also. though i doubt it.

Slimsim
12-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Better question is It seems like no one Hate the lakers even thought they are on a mini Dynasty run. Why hate the heats who haven't won anything and Not LA who are the favorites to win for the past few years i don't get it.

Slimsim
12-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Double post

jdmd3
12-01-2010, 10:52 PM

Most of the panic is really coming from the Heat fans or bandwagoners.

Lebron haters are just taking advantage of the situation to bash.

Sensible people realize its going to take time,and that the injuries are not helping the Heat's cause.

jdmd3
12-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Better question is It seems like no one Hate the lakers even thought they are on a mini Dynasty run. Why hate the heats who haven't won anything and Not LA who are the favorites to win for the past few years i don't get it.

Lakers are hated because they've won so many times.

Heat are hated because of Lebron and his antics, the big **** YOU that they gave to rest of the league when they did that big welcome party for the big three, and because of the restless trash talk initiated by Heat fans or bandwagoners after they got the big three.

kArSoN RyDaH
12-01-2010, 11:07 PM
I don't think people would have hated the Heat AS MUCH if they didn't have the big welcome party!

path2zion
12-01-2010, 11:09 PM

Like pick a side if u dont want them to win okay u dont expect them to go far but how can u not expect them to win then judge them like they are better than the champs when u supposedly hate them

The heat asked for it and earned it. They crowned themselves with that spectacle before the season. The decision, the documentary, the divorce, and now the whining about spoelstra. They make it to easy to hate them. Enjoy the primadonna drama for the next 6 years...

jackdawson
12-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Is that a trick question?

Anyway, to answer this thread: Because Miami Heat has LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh. They got top three free agents of the biggest free agent class of NBA history. Most teams would love to have one of them and Miami got all three. That's why people hate them and hence the double standard. Let's be honest, it's tough to swallow. I would hate on any team who would have got one of them, let alone all three.

Gootie42
12-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Is that a trick question?

Anyway, to answer this thread: Because Miami Heat has LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh. They got top three free agents of the biggest free agent class of NBA history. Most teams would love to have one of them and Miami got all three. That's why people hate them and hence the double standard. Let's be honest, it's tough to swallow. I would hate on any team who would have got one of them, let alone all three.

lol

Lakers: Been in the finals 3 years in a row, 2x champs. Proven they can play together.

Heat: 3 superstars who havent proven they can play together

/thread

whitemamba33
12-01-2010, 11:25 PM
NBA FORUM:

The only place in the world where people don't understand the difference between an 11-8 record and 13-5...and the difference between two time defending champions and 19 games of dissapointments.

BTW: Maybe people would be a little easier on the Heat if they didn't act like idiots during the summer. "U MAD...U MAD!!!!"...lol. Yep...i'm pissed hahaha. Although I have loved watching the sigs change over time. Now all i see is "panic mode" hahaha.

hotpotato1092
12-01-2010, 11:26 PM
The Lakers have an 11 ring coach, a 5 ring star, and are a 2 time defending champ. I think it's as we all suspected in the preseason, they really just don't care about the regular season. They proved their point to Miami and the rest of the league when they started 8-0, now I think they're on cruise control, expect them to win 58-62 games and turn it on come playoff time when they're at full strength with Bynum back.

ecorrea
12-01-2010, 11:28 PM
the reason is heat fans, espn, lebron, wade, and bosh crowned themselves before the season even started.

i mean no one woulda cared as much if that wasnt the case. so when the heat dont go 73 and 9 why cant it be thrown back in the face of those who claimed it was a lock.

whitemamba33
12-01-2010, 11:30 PM
The only double standard I see is from Heat fans. They spent the summer talking about how great they were going to be, and now they talk about how all these losses are a "good" thing.

You know you have a great team when you have to try and make excuses for them all the time.

GspLAL
12-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Maybe because Lakers have proven that they are champs with 2 titles and 3 finals? I dunno, maybe :rolleyes:

Crackadalic
12-01-2010, 11:45 PM
The lakers are proven champions
3 finals appearance 2 championships
Players thats been playing together for years with one of the best 2 guards and best big man in the league
Hall of fame coach
Can turn it on anytime
Bynum is hurt

Heat:
Everyone had them as the self-proclaim 2010-2011 nba champions where the lakers had to earn theres yet the heat doesnt?
Everyone had them beating the Buls record which is said about every team every year but for some reason the so called experts were so sure of themselves that they would beat it
All the heat fans were talking smack how they could beat anybody when they bearly beat any good teams yet and now that they are losing they want to use the "they have to gel" excuse
They had a concert for the big three which was dumb in itself instead they should have shut up and stop the talking and just do they walking. So far there there just talking and walking on crutches

Im not a heat hater and i know there gonna get better but all the high expectations for that team that didnt even have a full roster to begin with made me sick to stomach

arkanian215
12-01-2010, 11:51 PM

What? I don't...

Bruno
12-02-2010, 12:14 AM

When you're a the back to back defending champion you don't have to prove **** to anybody. The Lakers are proven, the Heat are not.

There is no double standard.

daleja424
12-02-2010, 12:20 AM
this doesnt seem to be going anywhere fast...