PDA

View Full Version : Report: Cavaliers probing Heat's signing of James

d00d
12-01-2010, 06:46 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-gilbertlebron120110

CLEVELAND – The Cleveland Cavaliers have poured hundreds of thousands of dollars into a high-powered Midwestern law firm to investigate their suspicions that the Miami Heat broke NBA tampering rules while pursuing LeBron James(notes), and owner Dan Gilbert has privately vowed he won’t relent until he has a thick binder of findings to drop on the desk of the NBA commissioner, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The NBA won’t launch an investigation into a tampering case without a formal request from a team, but sources say Gilbert’s plan is to give commissioner David Stern a detailed case that includes meetings, phone calls and contingency plans that date as far back as 2008. Gilbert will implore Stern to use his powers as commissioner to get access to phone records and testimony of key people surrounding Heat president Pat Riley, James and others potentially involved.

Gilbert has spent several hundred thousand dollars on the investigation and will spare no expense to uncover whatever evidence he can to take to the league office, two sources with direct knowledge of the probe told Yahoo! Sports. The law firm staff includes several former prosecutors with backgrounds in investigating and constructing cases, sources said.

Prior to the start of free agency on July 1, no Miami Heat representative – including star Dwyane Wade(notes) – was allowed to discuss with James the specific circumstances around Wade, Toronto’s Chris Bosh(notes) and James joining together with the Heat.

One focus of the law firm’s probe includes an alleged Riley-James meeting in Miami in November 2009, and a meeting of James’ inner circle with Wade in Chicago in June 2010, sources said.

Riley, James, Wade and Bosh have denied there was a predetermined collusion in the historic free-agent binge, although the players have admitted to discussing the possibility of playing together as far back as the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

When approached about the story on Tuesday night at Cleveland’s Quicken Loans Arena, Gilbert declined to answer questions from Yahoo! Sports.

As one league source told Yahoo! Sports: The Cavs are “determined to get everything out there. They’re not letting go of this. They’re not going to just let this die.”

Potential penalties for tampering could include front-office suspensions, fines and losses of draft picks. Many teams are suspicious of the league office’s desire to investigate these kind of cases because of the potential embarrassment to the league.

This revelation makes for one more dramatic storyline to James’ return to Cleveland on Thursday night. Gilbert escalated Cleveland’s fervor over losing James when he issued a scathing email about James on the night of the two-time MVP’s television decision. For that diatribe, Stern fined Gilbert $100,000.

John Walls Era
12-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Dan Gilbert is still crying himself to sleep every night. Which I would do too for the 1st week or so since its Lebron. But maybe he should focus on the present and future or use that money for a good cause.

d00d
12-01-2010, 06:49 PM
getting draft picks from the Heat is a good cause

Hoopsadvocate
12-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Hilarious too bad even if he finds something it wont matter since he techniquly traded him to us. SO im glad hes pouring his money down the drain. Keep crying

Jonathan2323
12-01-2010, 06:55 PM
When he traded LeBron to the HEAT he essentially waived his right to investigate tampering. Didn't know a billionaire could be so stupid, guess he just likes to waste money.

d00d
12-01-2010, 06:56 PM
when did you guys get a law degree?

prash
12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
What they did was probably against NBA rules. IF they're able to build a case where they can prove it we'll see...

Kenny Powders
12-01-2010, 06:59 PM
When he traded LeBron to the HEAT he essentially waived his right to investigate tampering. Didn't know a billionaire coulbd be so stupid, guess he just likes to waste money.

There are plenty of dumb billionaires.

justinnum1
12-01-2010, 06:59 PM
:laugh2: How pathetic

Gootie42
12-01-2010, 07:02 PM
And what happens if something is proven? Do the Cavs get LBJ back? No. Heat have no draft picks until 2050. Gilbert is full of ******* saying he got over the decision.

The L Train
12-01-2010, 07:03 PM
It would be great to see some of this sort of corruption exposed and dealt with in the NBA. I hope Gilbert is serious and he causes a huge stink until something is done. I'm always in favor of exposing the truth.

It reminds me of when Pat Riley was coaching the Heat years ago and kept complaining about how the refs were being unfair to the Heat because they didn't like him. And at first people made a joke out of it, so Riles went to work and compiled all kinds of stats and semi evidence and at least did enough to make people look twice. I was all for that too.

And who knows, maybe that made it easier for people to accept when the Tim Donaghy scandal came out. There is tons of shady stuff and corruption in the NBA and I would not be surprised at all if these guys broke the rules and planned on creating this 'superteam' for years before it happened. Not surprising at all.

Dol-Fan
12-01-2010, 07:03 PM
It would be NICE to see the HEAT give up draft picks and CASH but realistically all Gilbert can expect is have the heat PAY for his lawyer FEES, if in some wild circumstance HE is successful

heat fans, am I getting the HANG of this random capitalization of words? or are there only certain WORDS that are supposed to be capitalized when discussing the HEAT? I am uncertain on the pattern HERE

The L Train
12-01-2010, 07:08 PM
It would be NICE to see the HEAT give up draft picks and CASH but realistically all Gilbert can expect is have the heat PAY for his lawyer FEES, if in some wild circumstance HE is successful

heat fans, am I getting the HANG of this random capitalization of words? or are there only certain WORDS that are supposed to be capitalized when discussing the HEAT? I am uncertain on the pattern HERE

You're probably right about Gilbert ending up getting nothing of value, but sometimes the real value is just exposing corruption. It's like if your wife cheats on you and leaves, you might report her for tax evasion, even though YOU won't get anything out of it other than the satisfaction. Petty? Yeah, kind of, but it's the only recourse you have. I fully support Gilbert.

bovice163
12-01-2010, 07:09 PM
:horse: :violin:

Dol-Fan
12-01-2010, 07:12 PM
You're probably right about Gilbert ending up getting nothing of value, but sometimes the real value is just exposing corruption. It's like if your wife cheats on you and leaves, you might report her for tax evasion, even though YOU won't get anything out of it other than the satisfaction. Petty? Yeah, kind of, but it's the only recourse you have. I fully support Gilbert.

I was surprised you were actually able to take my post seriously with all of those dumb capitalizations.

But yeah, I agree - I'll admit, I'd be interested to see if anything comes of it. The effects would be permeating as well, obviously they would lose draft picks and cash which are concrete assets, but they would also lose credibility and teams would refuse to do business with Pat Riley and the organization in the future. I guess it just struck me at first that he's pouring in hundreds of thousands of dollars into this situation...and I posted my reply not considering that he's a billionaire.

dnewguy
12-01-2010, 07:14 PM
damn, that owner is really hurt.

Rego247
12-01-2010, 07:28 PM
its gibert's money he can do with it what he wishes. i'd be interested to see if they actually find something.

jackdawson
12-01-2010, 07:29 PM
When he traded LeBron to the HEAT he essentially waived his right to investigate tampering. Didn't know a billionaire could be so stupid, guess he just likes to waste money.

Yesssir!!!

prodigy
12-01-2010, 07:33 PM
I think it is important for Dan to get this out there. So it can prevent other teams from doing the same. Its best for the NBA.

Young2Kinsler
12-01-2010, 07:37 PM

I don't believe he lost any right. You can get fined for tampering whether you sign a player or don't, so I don't see how a trade would "waive" his rights.

mlisica19
12-01-2010, 07:41 PM
I really hate this part about sports.

I SAY WHO CARES HOW ONE GETS A PLAYER, IF THEY GOT HIM THEY WERE GOOD ENOUGH SALES PEOPLE TO DO THEIR JOB.

Goes for colleges recruiting 8 year old, goes for top paid athletes.

It was obvious, Lebron James wanted change.
He was not happy being the only go to guy in Cleveland. The cavs put to much pressure on him that he could not handle. So he left to a team that could give him everything he asked for. A team with some big names and superstars, who happen to be his close friends, and GM who was has some resume.

Face it, Pat Reily did not have to do much.
He signed Chris Bosh, ressigned Wade and he easily got Lebron to believe that this team has so much potential. WHICH IT DOES, yet to bad the team is led by immature young superstars, a rookie coach that they wont listen to cause hes too strict and wont let them play their game (which is goofing off). And he gave them millions of dollars, alot of incentives and BAM you get yourself a childs mind in a grown ups body. That body just happens tohave the best basketball gift.

Too bad,

But yea i really hate this. If a coach or owner or Gm (a team) can acquire a player should it really matter how?

Draco
12-01-2010, 07:45 PM
I think it is important for Dan to get this out there. So it can prevent other teams from doing the same. Its best for the NBA.

X2 but I'm not sure how an investigation works. Spiking Wade's gatorade with truth serum? Hacking into Riley's gmail account?

Young2Kinsler
12-01-2010, 07:47 PM

I SAY WHO CARES HOW ONE GETS A PLAYER, IF THEY GOT HIM THEY WERE GOOD ENOUGH SALES PEOPLE TO DO THEIR JOB.

He was not happy being the only go to guy in Cleveland. The cavs put to much pressure on him that he could not handle. So he left to a team that could give him everything he asked for. A team with some big names and superstars, who happen to be his close friends, and GM who was has some resume.

He signed Chris Bosh, ressigned Wade and he easily got Lebron to believe that this team has so much potential. WHICH IT DOES, yet to bad the team is led by immature young superstars, a rookie coach that they wont listen to cause hes too strict and wont let them play their game (which is goofing off). And he gave them millions of dollars, alot of incentives and BAM you get yourself a childs mind in a grown ups body. That body just happens tohave the best basketball gift.

Too bad,

But yea i really hate this. If a coach or owner or Gm (a team) can acquire a player should it really matter how?

It matters because it's a rule. Whether one agrees with a rule is their choice, but they must know when they break a rule, no matter what they think of the rule, there is a chance of consquences.

nysportsfan02
12-01-2010, 07:47 PM
As much as I hate LeBron and the Heat (well I still like Wade lol), this is truly PATHETIC.

I mean seriously Gilbert, get over it. Leave it up to the NBA higher offices and Stern invstigate (if they want to).

Draco
12-01-2010, 07:49 PM
As much as I hate LeBron and the Heat (well I still like Wade lol), this is truly PATHETIC.

I mean seriously Gilbert, get over it. Leave it up to the NBA higher offices and Stern invstigate (if they want to).

You think the NBA is going spend $100k + on an investigation?

jim51990
12-01-2010, 07:50 PM
as someone else said the fact that he essentially traded james he gave up the rights for anything except bad publicity for the heat, james , and riley

LeBitteNoir
12-01-2010, 07:51 PM
At first I was convinced the "high-powered Midwestern law firm" was Squire, Sanders & Dempsey, as it was founded in Cleveland and both Gilbert and Squire Sanders Managing Partner Fred Nance sit on the Board of Trustees of the Cleveland Clinic. But then I remembered that Fred Nance is LeBron's agent. Whoops.

Bubba17
12-01-2010, 07:54 PM

"The NBA won’t launch an investigation into a tampering case without a formal request from a team"

haggis
12-01-2010, 07:56 PM
LOL at Dol-Fan

WELL done BUDDY

dtmagnet
12-01-2010, 07:59 PM
X2 but I'm not sure how an investigation works. Spiking Wade's gatorade with truth serum? Hacking into Riley's gmail account?

I bet there are people who will be willing to come forward if they can get some money out of it, how do you think TMZ breaks all the stories they do?

Da Knicks
12-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Hope Gilbert finds something out, but sorry it happens all the time! New York is getting accused of practices with college kids, Los Angeles got Pau, Artest, Odom, for nothing and Miami gets this. How crazy that the big markets get the help... and i love my knicks...

oak2455
12-01-2010, 08:02 PM

I agree its comical:clap: Go Dan:clap:

Teeboy1487
12-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Let it go Gilbert. It's over. Lebron is gone. Get over it.

hotpotato1092
12-01-2010, 08:07 PM
There is absolutely no question that there was some level of tampering here, to think otherwise is just naive, but I don't know how much of it can be traced, I'm very curious to see where this investigation leads.

Draco
12-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Might as well lock the "will the Cavs retire Lebron's jerse" thread.. Dan's not letting this one go. ;)

DodgerBulls
12-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Some posters here just don't understand the magnitude of the outcome of this investigation. It's not just about LBJ leaving, it's about how the NBA works and the image they try too hard not to tarnish. Even with the lottery, there's a huge problem with it.. Bulls getting Rose with that odds, really? And I'm a Bulls fan.

Dol-Fan... very creative with your post, gave me a good laugh. Now off to studying... :(

central2003
12-01-2010, 09:17 PM
If he does prove something is up it will cause a investigation and people could loose their jobs , money and rights to ever work for the NBA. My guess is that Gilbert is aiming for a law suit against the Heat for money and also Riley's job, which the commissioner would have to fire riley and god knows what other kind of punishment would be handed down to the Heat organization. This could also prove if any corporate NBA Exc's were in on it like maybe stern him self. As a Kings fan I am always for finding the truth esp after the 2002 western conference finals Kings Vs the Lakers. Kings should have been champs but instead they were raped by the officials and got screwed. I hope Stern gets fired and this makes the NBA change its rules in every way from drafts to trades. The whole 9 yards

Trouble87
12-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Cavs/Dan Gilbert are coming off like the crazy stalker ex-g/f

just let the loser enjoy his underachieving new team

zambo4president
12-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Umm alright. Not sure what you guys are really gonna prove, but it is anti-LeBron so by default I support this movement.

davids22
12-01-2010, 10:03 PM
lol u mad gilbert?

FlashMacker
12-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Hope Gilbert finds something out, but sorry it happens all the time! New York is getting accused of practices with college kids, Los Angeles got Pau, Artest, Odom, for nothing and Miami gets this. How crazy that the big markets get the help... and i love my knicks...

Lakers didn't get Odom for nothing:confused: They got him in the Shaq trade and Shaq was still good back then.

fadedmario
12-01-2010, 10:24 PM
The Heat and pat Riley are ****ed

Knowledge
12-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Let it go Gilbert. It's over. Lebron is gone. Get over it.

this.

Funny how Gilbert sent out that letter calling Lebron a fraud and saying the Cavs will win a championship before the Heat but he is still hung up on Lebron. Move on and focus on rebuilding the Cavs.

"Tampering" happens all the time and in every sport when it comes to FAs. Teams and their players find ways around the rules to let potential FAs know their is interest.

whitemamba33
12-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Wow...this guy is like a bad ex-girlfriend. What does he think is going to happen? He's going to get back LeBron?...someone who doesn't even want to play on his team?

All I get from this is that he has ZERO faith in the team he has now. He'd rather cry about the past then have faith in the future. This is what seperates winning teams from teams that are only on the map because a superstar player USED to play for them.

HeaTxRipZz
12-01-2010, 11:28 PM
ehh happens all the time....as much as I would want to know the truth on the matter it's honestly beating a dead horse......Things like this happen all the time in every professional sport.

Look how Melo, Amare & CP3 made that toast at Melo's wedding. Or how apparently the knicks are using back channels to contact Melo and such. I'm sure Amare is always talking to him about coming to the team etc.....The Jets were caught talking to Micheal Crabtree last year I think it was.....and I'm sure it happens with plenty of other teams. Point is it happens all the time.

The league has a rule but it turns a blind eye as long as you don't get caught red handed breaking these rules. Most GMs and front offices don't even sweat it anymore once the players are gone because what is it gonna do for them and their team by dragging on a whole process and investigation to get the truth? Look at the Nuggets, I'm pretty damn sure they know people are contacting Melo through back channels but it is what it is. One way or another they understand he is as good as gone via trade or FA. Gilbert's biggest mistake was being in denial and thinking Lebron was actually going to stay to play another season with a old Jamison, Shaq and Mo Williams.

All in all let the Heat be and concentrate on your team Gilbert. You should be evaluating talent and thinking about how you can market in a rebuilding era

zo649117
12-01-2010, 11:30 PM
get over it!!

mjqusoldier
12-01-2010, 11:31 PM

Maybe you're the dumb one because Lebron was never traded:facepalm:

HeaTxRipZz
12-01-2010, 11:32 PM

Lebron was signed and traded I believe Bosh was as well they both got Trade Exceptions from it

whitemamba33
12-01-2010, 11:34 PM

:facepalm:

prodigy
12-01-2010, 11:37 PM

many ways. Snitches etc... People get alot of money to track down this kind of info.

daleja424
12-01-2010, 11:52 PM

lmao...yes he was. Miami traded 3-4 draft picks for him actually...

metsbulls1025
12-02-2010, 12:01 AM
I am surprised to see no one brought up this important detail. The Heat and Cavs play in just 2 days and this information is just getting out now. I think this is more to mess with LBJ head and stir more **** up for this game than anything. Also who cares if he investigates?

LayZbone
12-02-2010, 12:02 AM

lol ouch. do research before you try to burn someone.

But to respond to the thread, I think Dan Gilbert is wasting his time and money, which is fine by me.

I am surprised to see no one brought up this important detail. The Heat and Cavs play in just 2 days and this information is just getting out now. I think this is more to mess with LBJ head and stir more **** up for this game than anything. Also who cares if he investigates?

could be.

The L Train
12-02-2010, 12:06 AM
lol ouch. do research before you try to burn someone.

But to respond to the thread, I think Dan Gilbert is wasting his time and money, which is fine by me.

could be.

To be fair, it really wasn't a straight up trade. We all, as NBA fans, heard about Lebron's free agency for years before it happened, and then he signed, as a free agent, with Miami. Yeah, TECHNICALLY, they did a sign and trade at the last minute, but all that means is that the Cavs got a couple draft picks. And most people don't even know that happened.

For all intents and purposes Lebron was signed as a free agent, so dont be a dick to somebody that doesn't know the last minute sign and trade that went down and meant nothing.

whitemamba33
12-02-2010, 12:10 AM
To be fair, it really wasn't a straight up trade. We all, as NBA fans, heard about Lebron's free agency for years before it happened, and then he signed, as a free agent, with Miami. Yeah, TECHNICALLY, they did a sign and trade at the last minute, but all that means is that the Cavs got a couple draft picks. And most people don't even know that happened.

For all intents and purposes Lebron was signed as a free agent, so dont be a dick to somebody that doesn't know the last minute sign and trade that went down and meant nothing.

Everything you said would be true if the guy wasn't being a dick with the facepalm in the first place.

He asked for it, and he got it.

"Maybe you're the dumb one because Lebron was never traded"...if he is going to respond like this, he at least better be correct.

The L Train
12-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Some posters here just don't understand the magnitude of the outcome of this investigation. It's not just about LBJ leaving, it's about how the NBA works and the image they try too hard not to tarnish. Even with the lottery, there's a huge problem with it.. Bulls getting Rose with that odds, really? And I'm a Bulls fan.

Dol-Fan... very creative with your post, gave me a good laugh. Now off to studying... :(

I hope something comes of this too, but if it's one of those 'internal investigations' then we all know it's just gonna be covered up. I hope Gilber twas smart enough to get some people far enough outside the NBA to investigate this. The level of corruption is incredible, and there's no way David Stern is gonna do anything about it, no matter how thick Gilbert's binder of evidence is.

He needs to be smart enough to get an outside organization to look into this. There's no way David Stern is gonna admit anything, or allow any kind of negative light to be shone on his league. All he cares about is the bottom line. You have to think, Miami's "big 3" is probably good for ratings, and Stern is not gonna have any part in exposing them for the fraud they probably are, unless he is absolutely forced to.

Gilbert should go to that guy Mitchell who exposed the MLB a few years ago.

masalex1205
12-02-2010, 12:14 AM

didn't realize legal experts on the CBA posted on PSD

The L Train
12-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Everything you said would be true if the guy wasn't being a dick with the facepalm in the first place.

He asked for it, and he got it.

"Maybe you're the dumb one because Lebron was never traded"...if he is going to respond like this, he at least better be correct.

True enough, he threw up the face palm, but man, ALL of you guys are WAY too quick to use that. If you look through this thread, and the one about the Cavs one day retiring Lebron's jersey, and the one about the Heat retiring Shaq's jersey, you'll see that it's like 95% Heat fans throwing out the facepalm.

I can see why this guy did it tho, because like I said, for all intents and purposes, it was not a trade. Lebron was a free agent. It really wasn't a trade, it only technically was.

Kashmir13579
12-02-2010, 12:21 AM

:clap:

justinnum1
12-02-2010, 12:26 AM

:facepalm::facepalm: Lebron was sign and traded. So yes, he was traded, your wrong.

central2003
12-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Stern will cover this up just like the list of allegations by Tim Donahey. He admitted that the Kings were screwed out of the title in 2002 and Stern didn't do crap about it. If anything has his or any other NBA exec's finger prints on it expect it to be covered up. As long as Stern is in charge, you will never have teams like Kings, Wolves, Thunder, Warriors, Grizzlies, and Raptors ever win a title now matter how much talent they have or even the number 1 draft pick.

The L Train
12-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Stern will cover this up just like the list of allegations by Tim Donahey. He admitted that the Kings were screwed out of the title in 2002 and Stern didn't do crap about it. If anything has his or any other NBA exec's finger prints on it expect it to be covered up. As long as Stern is in charge, you will never have teams like Kings, Wolves, Thunder, Warriors, Grizzlies, and Raptors ever win a title now matter how much talent they have or even the number 1 draft pick.

EXACTLY :clap:

Sad but true

There is so much corruption in this league it's sick, but there's no way David Stern is gonna admit that or let it be exposed UNLESS Gilbert brings in the FBI and turns things upside down, which I hope he does.

Mcnabb_vision
12-02-2010, 01:08 AM

the truth hurts....so should i stop cheering for the raps?..lol

good luck to gilbert...n maybe B.C. should investigate on the trade also..:D

obcha22
12-02-2010, 01:21 AM

Yes you can investigate. If the claims happened before the deal and in an illegal manner. The Cavs didn't have a choice about the sign and trade. He was a free agent and pretty much screwed them. The only reason they got the deal was the Heat needed them to pay for him.

I hope the Cavs put the screws to the Heat. I hope they get first round picks for the next ten years. I still can't stand how he quit on that team and how he made the announcement and now that STUPID commercial.
I'm not a Cavs fan. But man did he act like an *** to that team. Not because of leaving, but how he left.
So i hope the investigation uncovers tons of evidence. And I hope the Cavs win a championship before Lefaun

infamous46
12-02-2010, 01:54 AM
i remember when Amare signed with the Knicks he said he had talked to Melo and CP3 and he said that they wanted to join him

many of these players are friends of coarse they talk to each other and tell each other how much they'd like to play with each other

and i dont think if the Cavs won their case that theyd get the draft picks Miami would most likely just forfeit those picks but i doubt its gonna happen

hugepatsfan
12-02-2010, 02:06 AM
This is stupid. His letter and the chant he wrote were funny. But this is petty and has 0 entertainment value.

hugepatsfan
12-02-2010, 02:06 AM
Oh and Bosh already admitted that they talked before the offseason. I remember at the pep rally he said "we've been talking about this for months... I mean weeks."

Young2Kinsler
12-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Oh and Bosh already admitted that they talked before the offseason. I remember at the pep rally he said "we've been talking about this for months... I mean weeks."

Yep, Stern just let him spit in the face of the NBA

hugepatsfan
12-02-2010, 02:17 AM
Yep, Stern just let him spit in the face of the NBA

Tampering probably happens on most signings. This isn't really a big deal. But because of how high profile the Three Stooges are and how bitter Gilbert is, it's getting talked about.

Mplsman
12-02-2010, 02:50 AM
There are plenty of dumb billionaires.

I wouldn't say plenty.

John Walls Era
12-02-2010, 03:05 AM

Its not tampering if its between players. I guess it is [in the sense of the word], but the Heat will not be penalized.

This situation is getting ridiculous. Dan Gilbert is like the girl that gets dumped by the popular athlete and is doing anything it takes (including making themselves look bad) in order to try to make the guy suffer and other people to pity them. The athlete will ignore this and continue to sleep with hotter women. As time goes by, the pity wears off as well and everyone is just calling her an idiot.

kikeyanez
12-02-2010, 03:06 AM
move on already dan!

mjt20mik
12-02-2010, 04:00 AM
Stern is absolutely the worst commissioner ever.

Raph12
12-02-2010, 04:23 AM
I understand Gilbert is losing millions with the loss of Lebron, but get over it already... If the Cavs win tomorrow, Lebron is gonna hear it lol.

hard_candy
12-02-2010, 05:47 AM
Wow, Dan Gilbert is really, really, really....really, bitter. Did I mention he's really bitter?

C_Mund
12-02-2010, 04:58 PM

Too bad,

It absolutely matters. You'd never be considered a good salesman if you're handing product out the back door. Rules are rules, and they're in place so that every team has the chance to be competetive. When both Bosh and Lebron quit on their teams (Toronto should have made the playoffs, the Cavs should have made a 'chip run) then it's ruining the balance that makes pro sports fun to watch.
Also...when they already knew that the players are coming over, it allowed Riley to make shady deals that emptied out their entire bench. No team has ever gone into free agency with only two players on their roster, and this was only possible because of the understanding of what would happen in the summer of 2010. It violated the trust of the fans, staff and teammates of everybody involved.

justinnum1
12-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Wow, Dan Gilbert is really, really, really....really, bitter. Did I mention he's really bitter?

This.

jackdawson
12-02-2010, 05:34 PM
LOL...I mean it's not rocket science. Players have talked among them (which is allowed by nba) weeks before July 8th. I personally think LeBron's decision was made in November 2009. Something happened around that time. There was a rumor LeBron was spotted in Miami when cavs had no game in Miami. Also, he threw a party for D-Wade's allstar mvp in February. Everyone knows these, but nothing suppress the fact that LeBron wanted to play in Miami. Why bother with it now after 5 months Mr. Gilbert? You are not gonna get anything out of it except losing some money. Also the fact that cavs agreed in sign and trade for LeBron makes it even more laughable now.

justinnum1
12-02-2010, 06:16 PM
I don;t believe a decision was made a long time ago...if lebron won a ring last season, your telling me he would have left?

Just like, if gilbert really thought something was fishy, he wouldn't have traded lebron to us and helped out the HEAT.

todu82
12-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I think if I was Gilbert I'd be working on ways to improve the Cavs instead of living in the past as he appears to be doing in probing this.

SportsAndrew25
12-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Let me just say, regardless of how angry people are by Lebron's Decision, lets all hope that nobody tries to do anything harmful to Lebron James. It is just a game.