PDA

View Full Version : What kind of contract should Derek Jeter get based purely on stats?

Cubsfan365
12-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Derek Jeter is 36 years old and his stats from last year were .270, 10 HR, 67 RBI, .340 OBP, .370 SLG, and .710 OPS. Now what kind of contract should a player of this age and these stats receive this offeason?

A player of comparable statistics IMO is Miguel Tejada. He is 36 as well, and his stats included .269 BA, 15 HR, 71 RBI, .312 OBP, .381 SLG, and .692 OPS. He just signed a 1 year, $6.5 Million contact with $500,000 signing bonus with the Giants.

TheRuckus
12-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Fifty cents.

zambo4president
12-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Giving contracts based off of stats is a really good idea(Sarcasm)

Humongo
12-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Well given his career stats he'd get a bigger contract than Tejada.

RedSox>Yankees
12-01-2010, 05:31 PM
1 year/ ten million.

redsox0717
12-01-2010, 05:44 PM

What the hell should you give contracts based off of then? Intangibles?

CAIN=FUTURE
12-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Uribe got 21 Million, so less than that.

Cubsfan365
12-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Wait, are you kidding? I hope your sarcasm is sarcastic.

Cubsfan365
12-01-2010, 05:50 PM
LOL exactly.

zambo4president
12-01-2010, 05:52 PM

Looks, Race, Popularity...

OneTuzSea
12-01-2010, 05:52 PM
6 years / $120 million obviously

Madness23
12-01-2010, 05:54 PM
stats : 8 mil/year

Jeter & NY : 20 mil/year

KingPosey
12-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Well given his career stats he'd get a bigger contract than Tejada.

I dont knowabout that. Tejada was a great hitter as well. They are pretty comparable.

12-01-2010, 06:04 PM
PSD's obsession with all things Yankees continues. I have never seen so many fans of other teams concerned so much with the Yankees offseason.

billybuck
12-01-2010, 06:10 PM
I think a reasonable contract for Jeter would be 1 year $8.5 million or 2 years $15 million.
Those figures are inclusive of the intangibles that he brings to the team. They could throw
in some performance bonus figures as well, but I'm not going to bother with them.

Young2Kinsler
12-01-2010, 06:10 PM
PSD's obsession with all things Yankees continues. I have never seen so many fans of other teams concerned so much with the Yankees offseason.

Welcome to life as a Yankees fan. Why waste your time crying about it?

As for the question, I would rather my franchise lose every game than to have him on my team.

JermanJaysFan
12-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I'd say "fair value" for Jeter is probably 2 years at about 8 million per. Or if Jeter really wants it- maybe a third year that brings the value of the total contract down- like 2 years/16 mill or 3 years/20 mill.

12-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Welcome to life as a Yankees fan. Why waste your time crying about it?

As for the question, I would rather my franchise lose every game than to have him on my team.

Who said I was crying about it? Nice way of making things up to give your post substance. I was simply making an observation. Seems odd that so many fans seem so interested on what is going to happen to one particular player that is not on their team. I to am interested about other things happening in the league but the obsession over Jeter seems weird.

LAcowBOMBER
12-01-2010, 06:22 PM

I know the cool thing to do is make the intangible jokes about Jeter and it is funny because it is blown out of proportion, but honestly his leadership ability and what he means to that team and the city certainly should be taken into account. Also the fact that he has been clutch and stepped up his performance in the playoffs most of the time should also be taken into account.

KingPosey
12-01-2010, 06:35 PM
^
I get really tired of all the Jeter is a leader, and Jeter is a pure winner stuff. He was a damn good ball player. But he was young and came into the PERFECT scenario.

papipapsmanny
12-01-2010, 06:43 PM

This really has nothing to do with the yankees, hell jeter isn't even on the yankees.

Its a solid question since jeter is coming from extremely different circumstances

BeantownBill
12-01-2010, 06:46 PM

Yeah, let's award him the 23 million or so a year that he's asking for because he's Derek ****ing Jeter. We should absolutely reward mediocre production so long as the name attached to that production sells pink hats and jerseys. (Not-so-much-sarcasm)

In all seriousness, it's not as if he's had a string of bad years. Then again, his already questionable defense is not getting any better and he is aging. Bottom line is he's gonna get overpaid regardless. It would be great to see him get paid what a player of his caliber is worth, but it won't happen because of who he is and what he's done in the past. Sadly, if Jeter had been drafted by the Royals and played there over the course of his career, no one would ever mention him as a hall of fame candidate.

Mr Haha
12-01-2010, 06:47 PM
What is this obsession all about? Haven't we talked about this enough already? On the open market, Jeter doesn;t get much. But to the Yankees, he is clearly more valuable from a business standpoint. Why is this still an issue for you people?

Mr Haha
12-01-2010, 06:47 PM
This is deranged obsession. Get over it!

papipapsmanny
12-01-2010, 06:48 PM
^
I get really tired of all the Jeter is a leader, and Jeter is a pure winner stuff. He was a damn good ball player. But he was young and came into the PERFECT scenario.

Basically, and he is 36 and declining, a concept he, his agent, and some yankees fans do not understand.

The yankees already offered him a very generous offer, not reason to move from their.

Hell he owes the yankees more than they owe him. People act like he is the sole reason the yankees won. When Production wise many other players are more responsible for those WS, if people are going to try and base them off individual performances.

If he had never been on the yanks, he would be a tejada trying to get a 2 year deal worth around 6-7 million per, for that he should have all the gratitude in the world towards the yankees.

Mr Haha
12-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Basically, and he is 36 and declining, a concept he, his agent, and some yankees fans do not understand.

The yankees already offered him a very generous offer, not reason to move from their.

Hell he owes the yankees more than they owe him. People act like he is the sole reason the yankees won. When Production wise many other players are more responsible for those WS, if people are going to try and base them off individual performances.

If he had never been on the yanks, he would be a tejada trying to get a 2 year deal worth around 6-7 million per, for that he should have all the gratitude in the world towards the yankees.

But here is the real question: why do YOU care so much?

BeantownBill
12-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Who said I was crying about it? Nice way of making things up to give your post substance. I was simply making an observation. Seems odd that so many fans seem so interested on what is going to happen to one particular player that is not on their team. I to am interested about other things happening in the league but the obsession over Jeter seems weird.

Since when is a discussion about one of the more popular baseball players of the last few decades an obsession? Especially when the player in question is clearly asking to be ridiculously overpaid based on past performance and his status in the city in which he plays? The Yankees and anything to do with the Yankees will always be a hotbed of discussion. The only person I see having any kind of an issue with that is you. /shrug

BeantownBill
12-01-2010, 06:56 PM
This is deranged obsession. Get over it!

Way to take someone else's misguided perception and run with it. Bravo! :p

Mr Haha
12-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Since when is a discussion about one of the more popular baseball players of the last few decades an obsession? Especially when the player in question is clearly asking to be ridiculously overpaid based on past performance and his status in the city in which he plays? The Yankees and anything to do with the Yankees will always be a hotbed of discussion. The only person I see having any kind of an issue with that is you. /shrug

But isn't this like the 5th thread of the offseason about it? And what do you care how much the Yankees pay a player? They have been over paying players for YEARS and they are still the most lucrative franchise in the game.

Mr Haha
12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
This is getting creepy. There are other things to discuss, right?

BeantownBill
12-01-2010, 07:00 PM
I know the cool thing to do is make the intangible jokes about Jeter and it is funny because it is blown out of proportion, but honestly his leadership ability and what he means to that team and the city certainly should be taken into account. Also the fact that he has been clutch and stepped up his performance in the playoffs most of the time should also be taken into account.

While there is definite truth in this (and I would tend to agree with you on the points you've made because of it) there are other comparable situations where the player isn't getting paid the way he wants to because the team recognizes that while he was once a great player, he is aging and on the decline, and at the end of the day it's bad business to lock up said aging, declining player to a long term, big money deal. Even if the team in question has deep pockets like the Yankees. Ask David Ortiz how his contract negotiations went this year hehe .. he wasn't happy either but he's still getting paid a nice amount of money to play, and hell .. he's a DH.

BeantownBill
12-01-2010, 07:02 PM
This is getting creepy. There are other things to discuss, right?

Feel free to go and discuss them then. Your attempts at being witty are just boring me here.

Mr Haha
12-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Feel free to go and discuss them then. Your attempts at being witty are just boring me here.

I'm not trying to be witty. I'm simply saying the fact that so many non-Yankees fans get so worked up over this is odd... What is really the issue here? Why would you ever care how much the Yankees pay a baseball player? It won't affect the market at all in this case.

papipapsmanny
12-01-2010, 07:05 PM
But here is the real question: why do YOU care so much?

I dont really care too much, just find it very interesting. Either way what is it to you?

RenegadeRiot36
12-01-2010, 07:09 PM
2 years at 16 mill would be my maximum. If you put his numbers last year up with all the other shortstops in the league, he would fit right in to the upper middle tier, or above average.

Mr Haha
12-01-2010, 07:09 PM
I dont really care too much, just find it very interesting. Either way what is it to you?

I'm just trying to find out the true source of the obsession over Jeter's contract by non-Yankees fans. My hunch is that you people just like to have a place where you can talk trash about the man and the team you dislike, and it's childish. If not that, I have no idea why five threads would be made on this topic.

User Name
12-01-2010, 07:12 PM
2 yrs/$14 million club option 3rd year $8 million with $500k buyout...maybe a vesting option if he reaches certain incentives such as gold gloves, silver sluggers, etc...at best

BeantownBill
12-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm just trying to find out the true source of the obsession over Jeter's contract by non-Yankees fans. My hunch is that you people just like to have a place where you can talk trash about the man and the team you dislike, and it's childish. If not that, I have no idea why five threads would be made on this topic.

Go back and read my posts, you'll see the last thing I'm doing is trashing Derek Jeter. He is one of the Yankees I truly respect as a player. That said, he's not worth what he's asking and to discuss it here isn't an obsession. It's fools like you trying to make something out of nothing that get threads closed. Once more time, for the comprehension-impaired, this is a discussion about a baseball player. Nothing more. There are threads about many, many other baseball players going on all around you at this very moment. You've simply chosen to come here and play the part of the troll because you have nothing better to do. For the record, I haven't started one thread on this topic, much less five, and this is the first one I've posted in. The fact that you know about the other four suggests the one with the obsession may in fact be you.

Mr Haha
12-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Go back and read my posts, you'll see the last thing I'm doing is trashing Derek Jeter. He is one of the Yankees I truly respect as a player. That said, he's not worth what he's asking and to discuss it here isn't an obsession. It's fools like you trying to make something out of nothing that get threads closed. Once more time, for the comprehension-impaired, this is a discussion about a baseball player. Nothing more. There are threads about many, many other baseball players going on all around you at this very moment. You've simply chosen to come here and play the part of the troll because you have nothing better to do. For the record, I haven't started one thread on this topic, much less five, and this is the first one I've posted in. The fact that you know about the other four suggests the one with the obsession may in fact be you.

But can this be the last one? PLease?

C-ross12
12-01-2010, 07:20 PM
2/12 with some incentives.

papipapsmanny
12-01-2010, 07:20 PM

not really, he is in a unique situation created by the yankees. It is an interesting dillema how many times do the yankees not give out what a player wants? Not many, especially for a guy that has been on the team since 95, my hunch is the yankees FO wouldnt care too much if he didnt return.

Either way you should have the balls to not get bothered when someone talks trash about ur team or player. It happens to everyone, everyone trash talks get used to it

BeantownBill
12-01-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm not trying to be witty. I'm simply saying the fact that so many non-Yankees fans get so worked up over this is odd... What is really the issue here? Why would you ever care how much the Yankees pay a baseball player? It won't affect the market at all in this case.

This is a sports-themed discussion site. People come here to discuss all things sports. That's all it is. We all talk about the Yankees, the Sox, the Dodgers, Pirates and Mets. All teams. It's not a conspiracy, *******. We enjoy sports and we enjoy talking about them. Get it?

I'll continue to discuss this for as long as I desire. If you don't like it, I don't know what to tell you. You're gonna be mighty disappointed.

Mr Haha
12-01-2010, 07:23 PM
not really, he is in a unique situation created by the yankees. It is an interesting dillema how many times do the yankees not give out what a player wants? Not many, especially for a guy that has been on the team since 95, my hunch is the yankees FO wouldnt care too much if he didnt return.

Either way you should have the balls to not get bothered when someone talks trash about ur team or player. It happens to everyone, everyone trash talks get used to it

I'm not bothered. I'm just curious. Consider this an anthropolgical study of PSD culture. Topic: Jeter/Yankee Obsession and/or hatred and the Underlying Causes.

C-ross12
12-01-2010, 07:25 PM

I cant speak for everyone, but I look down on these situations because it does effect other teams. If Jeter gets 20 a year what are other players of his caliber going to be asking? Because Rivera gets 18 whats Marmol going to shoot for? It gives other players the idea that because the Yankees give these guys these enormous deals, that they too are entitled to them. Not to mention if you compete with the Yanks for FA's, you will have to toss around big dough.

Mr Haha
12-01-2010, 07:28 PM
I cant speak for everyone, but I look down on these situations because it does effect other teams. If Jeter gets 20 a year what are other players of his caliber going to be asking? Because Rivera gets 18 whats Marmol going to shoot for? It gives other players the idea that because the Yankees give these guys these enormous deals, that they too are entitled to them. Not to mention if you compete with the Yanks for FA's, you will have to toss around big dough.

CRAZY argument. This will not affect the market. Jeter is a case all of his own. No player, unless they are at the end of a hall of fame career, such as Jeter or Mo, will look back at these deals as if they were a precedent.

BeantownBill
12-01-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm not bothered. I'm just curious. Consider this an anthropological study of PSD culture. Topic: Jeter/Yankee Obsession and/or hatred and the underlying causes.

:facepalm: I did take a moment to correct your atrocious spelling and grammar, though. Feel free to send me a PM thanking me later. :p

Fred
12-01-2010, 07:29 PM
um Yankees forum?

and, he should owe money back....he sucks...

Mr Haha
12-01-2010, 07:34 PM
:facepalm: I did take a moment to correct your atrocious spelling and grammar, though. Feel free to send me a PM thanking me later. :p

The first moment someone uses a facepalm to make fun of a spelling error, it is clear the argument is over. Enjoy making "intangible" jokes, everyone.

BeantownBill
12-01-2010, 07:36 PM
The first moment someone uses a facepalm to make fun of a spelling error, it is clear the argument is over. Enjoy making "intangible" jokes, everyone.

If there was ever any argument, it was over the first time you commented. You're welcome, btw. ;)

The_Mac22
12-01-2010, 07:46 PM
4 years/ 68 mil

cambovenzi
12-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Derek Jeter is 36 years old and his stats from last year were .270, 10 HR, 67 RBI, .340 OBP, .370 SLG, and .710 OPS. Now what kind of contract should a player of this age and these stats receive this offeason?

A player of comparable statistics IMO is Miguel Tejada. He is 36 as well, and his stats included .269 BA, 15 HR, 71 RBI, .312 OBP, .381 SLG, and .692 OPS. He just signed a 1 year, $6.5 Million contact with $500,000 signing bonus with the Giants.

Hes going to get overpaid, but hes been much better than tejada recently.

oak2455
12-01-2010, 07:55 PM

Agreed .. what these fans of other teams that are so obsessed with Jeter and the Yanks can add their Chips together and maybe equal what Jeter has:D

Young2Kinsler
12-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Agreed .. what these fans of other teams that are so obsessed with Jeter and the Yanks can add their Chips together and maybe equal what Jeter has:D

Says the guy who hijacks threads just to talk about the Yankees. Most of the time the Yankee stuff get's out of control is because it is fed by people like you.

theslick1
12-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Lately, it seems the MLB forum has become the Jeter forum.

The Jeter saga began with the ever popular "Yankees Likely to Offer Jeter $45-60MM" (323 posts) thread, in which most concluded that Jeter was not worth $45-60M.

Then we moved on to the lesser popular sequel, "Who would give 15 million a year to Derek Jeter?" (96 posts), in which most concluded only the Yankees would.

The sequel spurred a slightly less popular sequel, "Derek Jeter reportedly asked for $150M" (84 posts), in which the consensus was that Derek Jeter was still not worth $45-60M much less $150M.

And now we have this discussion, in which (surprise) most believe Derek Jeter's value is still not $45-60M or $150M.

ccugrad1
12-01-2010, 08:09 PM
I'll say this and it is just my opinion: Seeing an offer to Jeter even at 3 years, 45 million shows the issues MLB has with player salaries these days.

Rylinkus
12-01-2010, 08:22 PM
But isn't this like the 5th thread of the offseason about it? And what do you care how much the Yankees pay a player? They have been over paying players for YEARS and they are still the most lucrative franchise in the game.

The interesting thing is, despite overpaying several players over the years this will be the first time they double, or perhaps triple, market value for a player. At least with guys like Sabathia, Teixeira, ARod, Pavano, or most other players they've signed, there were semi comparable offers on the market. No team in baseball would sniff what's being offered to Derek, and yet they'll still raise their offer.

dtmagnet
12-01-2010, 08:28 PM
15 years 500 million dollars.

Moosie Doom
12-01-2010, 08:38 PM
For a player like this, stats would really have very little to do with his value to ownership. What matters is how many butts he puts in the seats, how his presence on the team impacts TV ratings and advertising revenue, how many jerseys he sells, and so on.

goose14741
12-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Uribe got 21 Million, so less than that.

jeter<uribe?
ur drunk

Mr Haha
12-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Lately, it seems the MLB forum has become the Jeter forum.

The Jeter saga began with the ever popular "Yankees Likely to Offer Jeter $45-60MM" (323 posts) thread, in which most concluded that Jeter was not worth $45-60M.

Then we moved on to the lesser popular sequel, "Who would give 15 million a year to Derek Jeter?" (96 posts), in which most concluded only the Yankees would.

The sequel spurred a slightly less popular sequel, "Derek Jeter reportedly asked for $150M" (84 posts), in which the consensus was that Derek Jeter was still not worth $45-60M much less $150M.

And now we have this discussion, in which (surprise) most believe Derek Jeter's value is still not $45-60M or $150M.

It's really something else...

oak2455
12-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Says the guy who hijacks threads just to talk about the Yankees. Most of the time the Yankee stuff get's out of control is because it is fed by people like you.

Hijacks threads go away little man and your losing team cry me a river:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Bye Lil man bye:D also your the same clown who cried during the WS your not a fan your a whiner....go away... all you do is whine:cry:

Young2Kinsler
12-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Hijacks threads go away little man and your losing team cry me a river:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Bye Lil man bye:D also your the same clown who cried during the WS your not a fan your a whiner....go away... all you do is whine:cry:

My losing team who dominated yours, feels good.

cambovenzi
12-01-2010, 09:47 PM

Irony and hypocrisy FTW

bringinwood
12-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Wait, are you kidding? I hope your sarcasm is sarcastic.

Actually, he has a very good argument...

You don't base contracts, soley, off of stats...

If that were the case, Adam Dunn would have been a multimillionaire years ago... Alex Rodriguez wouldn't have gotten half the money he did off of his 2nd contract extension...

Before statistics, you base contracts off of marketability... Winning is second...

If a player isn't marketable, it makes no sense to invest money into them...

bringinwood
12-01-2010, 10:20 PM
The better question would be, What should Jeter's contract be based solely on his marketability... Every other contract in baseball is based off of this...

ccugrad1
12-01-2010, 10:34 PM
People can talk about Marketability, stats, etc. What about factoring in some age in this equation? 37 year old athletes don't get 5 year contracts and they sure aren't getting 24 million per season. If Jeter was paid the 24 million he wanted, that would make him the 3rd highest paid player in the game.

oak2455
12-01-2010, 10:41 PM
My losing team who dominated yours, feels good.

You won this year? thought it was the Giants.. must have been reading something else...ok if you get off on winning playoffs and not Championships...cool:D

oak2455
12-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Irony sand hypocrisy FTW

Oh boy wonder why you have 20,000 post....lots of time I sure..

RDBK514
12-01-2010, 10:51 PM
I don't think you can put a player like Tejada and Jeter and the same category. Jeter has meant as much to this franchise as any other player wearing pinstripes in his entire career. Although Tejada had better power numbers than Jeter, those numbers mean nothing due to the steroid allegations. Jeter is a player who remained a role model to fans all over the world. Although last year was the worst statistical year of his career you can't doubt his ability to bounce back and have a decent season or 2 or 3. In the end the Yankees will realize that losing Jeter may actually make them look worse than giving him a big contract. With that being said lets all realize that they are the Yankees, and they overpay for everyone (I am a Yankee fan and I realize this) so Jeter will get what he wants. If I had to take a stab I say he gets a 76M/4year deal loaded with incentives.

cambovenzi
12-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Oh boy wonder why you have 20,000 post....lots of time I sure..

I just found it pretty funny that you call someone a whiner while at the same time you are whining about people posting yankee threads.

Also a yankee fan insulting a texas fan for losing in the WS is more ironic considering they beat the yankees to get there.

If that isnt irony or hypocrisy they should take those words out of the dictionary.

way to continually show your maturity by completely dodging the subject in every thread and turning it personal.

back on topic, id say he would get around 2/20 if it was based on production alone.

Hunter48MVP
12-02-2010, 01:00 AM
1yr/7-8MM

Yankees: 25-30MM per year/ 4 years

kmo429
12-02-2010, 01:03 AM

Based on stats alone (dumb) and age, I'd say Jeter is worth a 2 year deal with a 3rd option with a $7,000,000 base salary, yet with annual incentives that can increase the salary to 9.25 M per year.

kmo429
12-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Irony and hypocrisy FTW

I'm with you here... some people need to grow up, really.

And on topic now, Jeter is a legend, and because peopel are right by saying marketability and such is a huge part of contracts, a 4-5 year/70-90 million dollar contract is not out of the question, not out of the ordinary for the Yankees (and probably well worth it for them and Jeter too), and it would essentially lock up Jeter to be a life time Yankee, which is a thin gthat the Yankees really like to have. I mean you see it all the time, people have legendary careers, switch teams when they are showing signs of decline, and then they just keep coming back and get annoying (Brett Favre) lol....

Really though, the yankees need to keep him, and he's going to stay there no matter what he's paid, but the Yankees don't knwow that so if they can afford it, which they can, and get huge profits from all the revenue Jeter's name alone brings in, then they will give him more than 3 years and more than 15 mil a year.

oak2455
12-02-2010, 01:13 AM
This is why this thread is dumb.. hes worth more than just stats but not too many get that:D

oak2455
12-02-2010, 01:24 AM
I just found it pretty funny that you call someone a whiner while at the same time you are whining about people posting yankee threads.

Also a yankee fan insulting a texas fan for losing in the WS is more ironic considering they beat the yankees to get there.

If that isnt irony or hypocrisy they should take those words out of the dictionary.

way to continually show your maturity by completely dodging the subject in every thread and turning it personal.

back on topic, id say he would get around 2/20 if it was based on production alone.

dude what are you talking about? you have no Idea do you? you just butt in, this is why you have this many post? My maturity.. you were involved in a thread that lasted for ever... insulting each other and your gonna say who's mature:laugh::laugh::laugh: and you came in the Yankee forum once or twice so what am I missing? IDK but I just find it funny how everyone is so caught up in the Yankees and what they do....thats just my opinion sorry:D

cambovenzi
12-02-2010, 01:36 AM
Maybe if you had a little bit more experience with posting you'd see people occasionally like to talk about the topics.
No amount of emoticons will change what you've been doing.
If you dont want to talk about what jeter would get based on stats instead of magical intangible powers or his "legacy", get lost.

oak2455
12-02-2010, 01:49 AM
Maybe if you had a little bit more experience with posting you'd see people occasionally like to talk about the topics.
No amount of emoticons will change what you've been doing.
If you dont want to talk about what jeter would get based on stats instead of magical intangible powers or his "legacy", get lost.

only 17,000 more to go and I'll be a pro:D but its more than stats if you dont realize that:D

cambovenzi
12-02-2010, 01:52 AM
only 17,000 more to go and I'll be a pro:D but its more than stats if you dont realize that:D

You seem like a slow learner. it might take you a few hundred thousand more.

SO what do you think jeter should be paid based on production?

oak2455
12-02-2010, 02:04 AM
You seem like a slow learner. it might take you a few hundred thousand more.

SO what do you think jeter should be paid based on production?

slow learner hmmm continue with the barbs almost like KROD:D....btw off last year he doesnt have a leg to stand on over last few years thats different..... I say over all 3 years 55 million and done deal:D

Swishalicious
12-02-2010, 02:35 AM
It's hard to say what Jeter deserves to be paid while disregarding the factors like keeping a happy fan base, bringing people to the stadium, selling merchandise, getting endorsements.... because often times the owners sign players to make winning teams, but they also sign players because the players are an investment in terms of making $$.

For example, the Mets went out and signed Jason Bay... considered one of the "top free agents" of last year's offseason. Now did Jason Bay help the Mets win? Not really, due to injury of course, but even without the injury, I think we can all agree that Jason Bay's production was going to be a lot less in Citi Field and with a weaker lineup. Bay would help the Mets win... but was not going to be the all-star of that team by any means.

However, by signing a guy like Jason Bay, the Mets ownership was telling the fans "we care" and were attempting to erase the past nightmares of the 2009 season... start the new year off with a positive note, give the fans hope and reason to go to the ballpark.

So it's hard to talk contract value when most players are paid based off their investment factors... but if we are going to pretend like Jeter was NEVER a big name and NEVER played for the NYY.... if he was just an average player... then Id say he deserves $8 million a year

Pinstripe pride
12-02-2010, 09:30 AM
100 millions dollars.....

http://bradley.chattablogs.com/dr.evil.jpg

NoQuarter
12-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Why is it wrong for fans of every team to be talking about a FA's value?

At this point in time he is not a Yankee so this is not an obssession with the Yankees, though given the contract they have offered him he will probably go back there, but claiming him to be a Yankee and this converstaion being Yankee envy is a bit delusional.

BeantownBill
12-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Why is it wrong for fans of every team to be talking about a FA's value?

At this point in time he is not a Yankee so this is not an obssession with the Yankees, though given the contract they have offered him he will probably go back there, but claiming him to be a Yankee and this converstaion being Yankee envy is a bit delusional.

The simple answer is, it's not. Sadly, there are a few Yankee fans who are butthurt that fans of other teams find this interesting and are having a good time discussing it. Personally, I find it interesting because in the past you rarely (if ever) see the Yankees quibble when it comes to paying their aging star players. It feels like there's been a pretty significant shift in the way the Yankee F.O. views this, and it's caused a bit of controversy. Hence these discussions. I tried explaining this to one of them earlier in this very thread and it pretty quickly degenerated into a senseless debate about nothing. They're the exception, however, and not the rule, so let's not judge all Yankees fans in that light because a lot of them are pretty cool to talk baseball with.

That being said, when Oak2455 finally did answer he responded with something like 3 yrs./55mil.? That's not all that far off from what the Yankees offered and I think that's a pretty fair deal for Jeter.

thefeckcampaign
12-02-2010, 10:33 AM
I am curious to find out is why only '10 stats are being considered in most discussions when in '09 he had a pretty fine year overall.

ccugrad1
12-02-2010, 10:37 AM
The simple answer is, it's not. Sadly, there are a few Yankee fans who are butthurt that fans of other teams find this interesting and are having a good time discussing it. Personally, I find it interesting because in the past you rarely (if ever) see the Yankees quibble when it comes to paying their aging star players. It feels like there's been a pretty significant shift in the way the Yankee F.O. views this, and it's caused a bit of controversy. Hence these discussions. I tried explaining this to one of them earlier in this very thread and it pretty quickly degenerated into a senseless debate about nothing. They're the exception, however, and not the rule, so let's not judge all Yankees fans in that light because a lot of them are pretty cool to talk baseball with.

That being said, when Oak2455 finally did answer he responded with something like 3 yrs./55mil.? That's not all that far off from what the Yankees offered and I think that's a pretty fair deal for Jeter.

I agree 100%. Most people figured the Jeter-Yankees negotiations would go so smoothly that a week after the World Series, Jeter would be re-signed and ready to go. It hasn't gone that way and now people are wondering what is going on. I think you hit the nail on the head-- The Yankees want him back, but aren't going to go overboard in doing it. Things are a lot different when you are talking 36 as compared to 26. At 26, yeah, you give Jeter a 10 year contract worth 189 million no questions asked.

But at 36, now you start worrying about whether or not you extended him for too many years? What happens if he really declines?

Everyone knows Jeter is re-signing with the Yankees because even at 3 years, 45 million, I don't see him getting half that from anyone else on the open market!

NoQuarter
12-02-2010, 10:43 AM

After the way the Yanks threw themselves at AFraud and CC it's no surprise Jeter would expect them to fawn over him. Obviously I'm not a Yankee fan but I think it sucks how they decide to toe the line with Jeter when no one has done more to help the Yankees build their facade of "class, mystique and aura". Unfortunately for him, IMO, the 3/45 they have offered is not a deal he will come even close to seeing from anyone else. Is he that much better than Tejada? No.

Kinsm
12-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Just about any city other than NY: 8 mill per for 2 years w/ maybe a vesting 3rd year option.

In NY where I'll add a lot for a cost of living adjustment (though most players don't actually live there), the fact that he's going to hit 3K (which will sell seats), and his legacy: I'll bump it to 12 mill per for 3 years.

braves4829
12-02-2010, 11:37 AM
screw jeter he is putting up average numbers. look at all the ss around the league he isnt blowing them out of the water. He gets all this money from endorsments he should be happy with 5 or 6million a year and shut it. i feel bad for the yankees they wanna sign him so they dont give up the yankees leader but they dont wanna overpay(shocker) i lost alot of respect for jeter the guy that says he plays for the love of the game. Thats a big joke now

surfgurus
12-02-2010, 11:51 AM
All this BS about his goodwill, etc. means NOTHING to wins and losses. He had a gun to the Yankee's head with his last two contracts, and used Arod's contract as a "guide".
Well, now the shoe is on the Yankee's foot.

NOW he does not want any comparisons. If Troy gets 15.7 mil annual average salary, and he is BY FAR the best SS in both leagues, where does Jeter get off asking for anything NEAR that?

I say let him go into the real world, drink that reality, and see that he could get at BEST 6 mil a year for two years.

As a Yankee hater, I HOPE that he signs for four years at 22 mil per! But his real value, his WAR dictates 6 million. Like they have said, the Yankees haved made him a VERY wealthy man. Now it is all about greed.

misterd
12-02-2010, 12:09 PM

Albert Pujols thinks so.

Rylinkus
12-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I am curious to find out is why only '10 stats are being considered in most discussions when in '09 he had a pretty fine year overall.

I think it's probably because 2009 is the outlier. 07,08, & 10 all show decline, with 10 being the worst case. Add in his age and decline becomes a definite possibility. He's player whose offensive output has always carried his lackluster defense. What if his offense declines? What value does he have then? 2 SSs in the last 100 years have posted an OPS of .750 once they turned 37. And it hasn't happened in over 50 years. What are the odds Jeter puts up the offensive numbers needed to trump his defense and make his a valuable onfield asset?

bringinwood
12-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Albert Pujols thinks so.

No player in baseball gets a contract like Pujols without being a top 5 marketing dream...

If you think a baseball team, fortune 500 company, 7/11, or lemonade stand would invest that much money into a person without the thought that their return would be ten fold within a year, you're very very mistaken...

Contracts and stats are not correlatable in any way, shape, form, or idea...

Marketability is the first and sometimes only factor when teams are decided whether or not to engage in long term talks with an athlete...

A-Rod's 265MM extension paints a perfect picture of this...

Adam Dunn not recieving a multiyear contract after, arguably, being the best lefty slugger in baseball over the last 10 years also paints this picture...

The problem is the picture that has been painted for fans... Decent stats directly correlate into big contracts for players... This couldn't be further from the truth...

It's the marketing power to get ***** in the seats that gets these guys paid... In all honesty, 99% of the players in baseball are replacable with cheaper, sometimes better, alternatives... However, rookies that have never seen a major league field don't get people to the park...

If you need further evidence of this, just look at the Yankees... If any of you think that Mark Teixera, Curtis Granderson, CC Sabathia, Mariano Rivera, or Derek Jeter aren't replacable by better, younger, cheaper players, you need to watch more baseball...
However, the fans expect the Yankees to get every household name in baseball... It's what drives the marketing machine that is the Yankees...

cambovenzi
12-02-2010, 05:25 PM
No player in baseball gets a contract like Pujols without being a top 5 marketing dream...

If you think a baseball team, fortune 500 company, 7/11, or lemonade stand would invest that much money into a person without the thought that their return would be ten fold within a year, you're very very mistaken...

Contracts and stats are not correlatable in any way, shape, form, or idea...

Marketability is the first and sometimes only factor when teams are decided whether or not to engage in long term talks with an athlete...

A-Rod's 265MM extension paints a perfect picture of this...

Adam Dunn not recieving a multiyear contract after, arguably, being the best lefty slugger in baseball over the last 10 years also paints this picture...

The problem is the picture that has been painted for fans... Decent stats directly correlate into big contracts for players... This couldn't be further from the truth...

It's the marketing power to get ***** in the seats that gets these guys paid... In all honesty, 99% of the players in baseball are replacable with cheaper, sometimes better, alternatives... However, rookies that have never seen a major league field don't get people to the park...

If you need further evidence of this, just look at the Yankees... If any of you think that Mark Teixera, Curtis Granderson, CC Sabathia, Mariano Rivera, or Derek Jeter aren't replacable by better, younger, cheaper players, you need to watch more baseball...
However, the fans expect the Yankees to get every household name in baseball... It's what drives the marketing machine that is the Yankees...

Yea, actually, they are.
Production leads to wins, and winning is very marketable.

To say Arod got a massive contract and dunn did not due to image is ridiculous.
Arod is proven as one of the best players of all time.
Dunn hasn't had a WAR over 4 since 2004.

How many fans are saying "ooh im only going to see this yankee game if curtis granderson and mark teixera are there!" not many.

bringinwood
12-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Yea, actually, they are.
Production leads to wins, and winning is very marketable.

To say Arod got a massive contract and dunn did not due to image is ridiculous.
Arod is proven as one of the best players of all time.
Dunn hasn't had a WAR over 4 since 2004.

Most GMs with an IQ over 5 could pull players from a single A team that would win the WS numerous times...

Again, Adam Dunn, widely considered one of the best sluggers over the last 10 years, didn't recieve a multiyear contract proposal from any team 2 years ago...

How is A-Rod worth 25-30MM a year and Adam Dunn is worth 5MM ???

No player, in any way shape form or idea, is worth over 10MM based on production soley... No one is so far ahead of the field, talent and production wise, that they are worth 20 to 22 MM ( in some cases) more than the AAA prospect coming up...

ATL#22
12-02-2010, 05:48 PM
I'd take the minimum and divide it by 2 and pay him that

Kinsm
12-02-2010, 06:15 PM
The Yankees have increased their offer to Jeter by an unknown amount, according to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News.

djak
12-02-2010, 10:04 PM
I'd take the minimum and divide it by 2 and pay him that

WOW :facepalm:
You are a genius man! :clap:

cambovenzi
12-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Most GMs with an IQ over 5 could pull players from a single A team that would win the WS numerous times...

Again, Adam Dunn, widely considered one of the best sluggers over the last 10 years, didn't recieve a multiyear contract proposal from any team 2 years ago...

How is A-Rod worth 25-30MM a year and Adam Dunn is worth 5MM ???

No player, in any way shape form or idea, is worth over 10MM based on production soley... No one is so far ahead of the field, talent and production wise, that they are worth 20 to 22 MM ( in some cases) more than the AAA prospect coming up...
Im not sure if you are trolling or what that is..

dannybfast24
12-02-2010, 10:20 PM
9.75 an hour

Russollini
12-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Tulo is only getting 15

bklynny67
12-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Tulo is only getting 15

exactly... and Tulo is >>>>>>>>>> Jeter by a lot at this stage of their careers. with Tulo averaging 15m/yr, Jeter should get 8-10m/yr.

cambovenzi
12-03-2010, 01:13 AM
Tulo is only getting 15

Well, not exactly.
His extension was 18M+ on average a year.
he was previously under contract until 2014

Robbw241
12-03-2010, 02:16 AM
8ish million?

zo649117
12-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Jeter is worth wayyyy more to the Yankees than just stats. He is the heart and soul of the Yankees whether he bats 1st, 2nd, or 8th. Plus he showed up the final two months of the season. remember the last time the yankees gave up on a star player? I do. Reggie Jackson came back with the Angels to smash the Yankees. I believe Jeter has TWO solid seasons left in him, and his clutch, well, it can't be forgotten.

cambovenzi
12-03-2010, 04:47 AM
Jeter is worth wayyyy more to the Yankees than just stats. He is the heart and soul of the Yankees whether he bats 1st, 2nd, or 8th. Plus he showed up the final two months of the season. remember the last time the yankees gave up on a star player? I do. Reggie Jackson came back with the Angels to smash the Yankees. I believe Jeter has TWO solid seasons left in him, and his clutch, well, it can't be forgotten.
Thats nice and everything, but
Hearts and souls and little green men with cereal boxes don't get on base or play defense very well.

Also reggie jackson hasn't played for the yankees in 30 years.
Like all people to ever play the game, he declined when he was old too.

thefeckcampaign
12-03-2010, 06:07 AM
I think it's probably because 2009 is the outlier. 07,08, & 10 all show decline, with 10 being the worst case. Add in his age and decline becomes a definite possibility. He's player whose offensive output has always carried his lackluster defense. What if his offense declines? What value does he have then? 2 SSs in the last 100 years have posted an OPS of .750 once they turned 37. And it hasn't happened in over 50 years. What are the odds Jeter puts up the offensive numbers needed to trump his defense and make his a valuable onfield asset?I'll give you '08 but with an OPS+ of 121 in '07, which was higher than previous years, I cannot give you that year.

Being you all worship the almighty OPS+. I am slowly learning, see. Now if I could only grasp this WAR thing. ;)