PDA

View Full Version : Should Miami retire Shaq's number?

The L Train
12-01-2010, 04:15 PM
He promised and delivered the first and only championship to the franchise. He was very close to winning league MVP one year while he was there too, lost to Steve Nash by the closest margin ever.

He made the Heat relevant and brought them their first title. Do you think they should retire his number?

No poll, cuz I want people to say why or why not.

Kobes a Killer
12-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Face palm

Jemikz9Clutch
12-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Face palm

:hi5:

Jonathan2323
12-01-2010, 04:27 PM
No because he wasn't the main reason we won and he wasn't here long enough. The way he went out talking bad about the organization. NO WAY it happens.

eugene
12-01-2010, 04:27 PM
If Boston will kick Miami from playoffs this year with Shaq being very efficient, they will not retire his number :) :)

BeantownBill
12-01-2010, 04:33 PM
If Boston will kick Miami from playoffs this year with Shaq being very efficient, they will not retire his number :) :)

Miami needs to worry about making the playoffs first :p

HeatBBall
12-01-2010, 04:34 PM
No way he will get his # retired here.

sep11ie
12-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Face palm followed by another palm on the back of that hand.

The L Train
12-01-2010, 04:37 PM
No because he wasn't the main reason we won and he wasn't here long enough. The way he went out talking bad about the organization. NO WAY it happens.

He wasn't the main reason, obviously D Wade was, but still, no way they win it that year without Shaq.

I'm just trying to figure out what it takes to get your number retired. If you can go to a team and promise the fans their first championship, and you deliver that, to me you should be immortal.

You mentioned that he wasn't with the team for long enough. SO just for the sake of argument, let me ask you this. Lets say he had been with the team for seven years, and he became their all time leader in scoring. BUT he failed to deliver the championship he promised to the city.

Would you retire his number then?

And let me say, I'm asking this as a lifelong Knicks fan. Remember how horrible Marbury was with the Knicks? Well, if he would have been good ONE of those years and they won a ring, he'd be a hero forever in NY and it wouldn't matter what he said about the team after he left.

The L Train
12-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Let me also add that even if Marbury had become this Knicks all time leading scorer, but everything else was the same, meaning he did essentially nothing for the franchise, he still would not deserve to have his number retired.

Personal achievements that do not equal rings for your team shouldn't be honored by the team with a number being retired. IMO.

I'm Seriously
12-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Absolutly not. Shaq was great in Miami, and did help them win a championship, but Wade is the reason they have a championship.

dnewguy
12-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Yea we should retire his number and burn it, will remind Heat players not to ever be fat again.

The L Train
12-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Yea we should retire his number and burn it, will remind Heat players not to ever be fat again.

This is why people are always bashing Heat fans dude. How ungrateful can you be?

I mean, like I said, Wade was the main reason they won. But can you really say he would have won without Shaq? There's no way bro. Maybe eventually, but not that year. What has Wade done since Shaq left?

blue collar B
12-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Absolutly not. Shaq was great in Miami, and did help them win a championship, but Wade is the reason they have a championship.

Wade has no Championships without Shaq. Always hate these threads because people going to hate on Shaq.

Chacarron
12-01-2010, 04:49 PM
why or why not.

blue collar B
12-01-2010, 04:57 PM
I don't know if they should or not...they retired Jordan's, a guy that never even played for them. It's worth a discussion at least because he helped bring a Championship and for what he has done during his career as a whole away from the Heat. Again not saying they should but hate to see people jump in and take a shot at him. I doubt a lot of people here hating saw him through his prime. I loved watching Shaq over the years. I never saw anyone physically dominate better.

Double_R
12-01-2010, 04:58 PM
IS this really a thread or am I dreaming...

Should the Pistons retire Rasheed Wallace's jersey?

Hoopsadvocate
12-01-2010, 04:58 PM
This is why people are always bashing Heat fans dude. How ungrateful can you be?
I mean, like I said, Wade was the main reason they won. But can you really say he would have won without Shaq? There's no way bro. Maybe eventually, but not that year. What has Wade done since Shaq left?

I find the bolded part ironically hilarious. Where ungrateful for a guy who sucked in the finals and underperformed (numbers say so) and left literally talking trash about the organization and the fans are ungrateful YEt when lebron leaves and thanks the organization and was and unlike shaq has and always was best performer on the team, Cleveland fans are not considered ungrateful instead its all lebrons fault whom they bash to no end. Ya okay :rolleyes:

AND LOL at more irony u ask what did wade do since shaq left? what did shaq do since shaq left? LMAO

D Roses Bulls
12-01-2010, 05:02 PM
sorry but 3 and a half seasons doesnt deserve you to have your jersey retired.

The L Train
12-01-2010, 05:07 PM
I find the bolded part ironically hilarious. Where ungrateful for a guy who sucked in the finals and underperformed (numbers say so) and left literally talking trash about the organization and the fans are ungrateful YEt when lebron leaves and thanks the organization and was and unlike shaq has and always was best performer on the team, Cleveland fans are not considered ungrateful instead its all lebrons fault whom they bash to no end. Ya okay :rolleyes:

AND LOL at more irony u ask what did wade do since shaq left? what did shaq do since shaq left? LMAO

Look at it this way.

Shaq and Lebron both promised franchises their first championship. Only Shaq delivered.

They both left the franchise on bad terms and left a bad taste in the fans mouths.

Lebron did accumulate a lot more personal numbers for himself, but he didn't follow through on the championship. Some even think he stopped trying.

So, if there's any thought of Lebron's jersey being retired, Shaq should be a shoe in. Unless I'm wrong about basketball being about winning championships.

What did Shaq do after he left? Not a whole lot, because he's old now. Wade is still in his prime and has done just as little as Shaq without him. Why not ask what Shaq and Wade both did BEFORE they teamed up, to be fair... Shaq already had his rings, Wade had none, and he has none without Shaq. But I bet you'll say they should definitely retire Wade's number.

So what is it? What makes you worthy of having your number retired?

Russollini
12-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Honestly, the way that Shaq treats organizations and teammates upon leaving leads me to believe that he will not have it retired anywhere until people forget about all his wrong doings.

The L Train
12-01-2010, 05:10 PM
sorry but 3 and a half seasons doesnt deserve you to have your jersey retired.

Then what does? Like I asked someone else, if it had been 7 years, is that enough? Cuz people are talking about Lebron deserving to have HIS number retired in CLE, but that makes it seems like the amount of time you play is more important that the amount of rings you win for your team.

Given the choice between a guy who played a short time and won rings for the team vs a guy who played forever and won nothing, I'm going to honor the guy who won rings for my team.

Rndy
12-01-2010, 05:12 PM

They retired Jordans number and he never even played for them. At least Shaq played.

D Roses Bulls
12-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Then what does? Like I asked someone else, if it had been 7 years, is that enough? Cuz people are talking about Lebron deserving to have HIS number retired in CLE, but that makes it seems like the amount of time you play is more important that the amount of rings you win for your team.

Given the choice between a guy who played a short time and won rings for the team vs a guy who played forever and won nothing, I'm going to honor the guy who won rings for my team.

he won a championship, but he was good for what? 1 and a half seasons pretty much. its not like he was this dominate force and even so, look at someone like rodman who played for the bulls 3 years and hasnt had his jersey retired, or how about toni kukoc who was there for 5 years and has 3 rings and doesnt have his jersey retied. rodman put up better numbers then shaq his time in chicago and had more success. sorry, but i dont see it happening in miami.

hugepatsfan
12-01-2010, 05:14 PM
They do "honor" Dan Marino's # and he doesn't even play basketball. They also retired Jordan's #, even though he didn't play for them. Their standards are pretty low, so I guess Shaq has to have a chance to get his # retired.

Hoopsadvocate
12-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Look at it this way.

Shaq and Lebron both promised franchises their first championship. Only Shaq delivered.

They both left the franchise on bad terms and left a bad taste in the fans mouths.

Lebron did accumulate a lot more personal numbers for himself, but he didn't follow through on the championship. Some even think he stopped trying.

So, if there's any thought of Lebron's jersey being retired, Shaq should be a shoe in. Unless I'm wrong about basketball being about winning championships.

What did Shaq do after he left? Not a whole lot, because he's old now. Wade is still in his prime and has done just as little as Shaq without him. Why not ask what Shaq and Wade both did BEFORE they teamed up, to be fair... Shaq already had his rings, Wade had none, and he has none without Shaq. But I bet you'll say they should definitely retire Wade's number.

So what is it? What makes you worthy of having your number retired?

Your post arguments arent very good... i just explained a huge flaw in ur last post and ill do it again even though it looks like u just ignored the last one and just made up a different point of view to put ur point across.

And no Lebron didnt leave on bad terms Cleveland did, Lebron never said anything bad about them while cavs org did HUGE difference. People only think he stopped trying after he left before that i didnt see any cleveland fans saying he should leave because he quit, hmm what a coincidence.

SO the only small legit argument u have is that lebron couldnt keep his word on deilivering a title but shaq did and thats reason enough to retire his number. Thats still extermely flawed because again lebron the best performer and had less help than shaq did in his championship quest. So its still not even a very good one. Now if things had been much closer like shaq actually was the best performer on his team and didnt underachieve or if lebron played second best and won then this would be a good debate but none of that happened. Not close at all.

The L Train
12-01-2010, 05:19 PM
he won a championship, but he was good for what? 1 and a half seasons pretty much. its not like he was this dominate force and even so, look at someone like rodman who played for the bulls 3 years and hasnt had his jersey retired, or how about toni kukoc who was there for 5 years and has 3 rings and doesnt have his jersey retied. rodman put up better numbers then shaq his time in chicago and had more success. sorry, but i dont see it happening in miami.

Miami wouldn't have won without Shaq. MJ's Bulls would have still won some rings without The Worm. I don't disagree that Rodman was much more successful and all, but the Bulls were a much better team. Shaq's contribution to the Heat was essential to the only ring they have, where Rodman was awesome but they still would have had rings without him.

I do think he should have his number retired tho(Rodman).

Jamaal60
12-01-2010, 05:23 PM
They do "honor" Dan Marino's # and he doesn't even play basketball. They also retired Jordan's #, even though he didn't play for them. Their standards are pretty low, so I guess Shaq has to have a chance to get his # retired.

Agreed.

Klivlend
12-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Are you high?

The L Train
12-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Your post arguments arent very good... i just explained a huge flaw in ur last post and ill do it again even though it looks like u just ignored the last one and just made up a different point of view to put ur point across.

And no Lebron didnt leave on bad terms Cleveland did, Lebron never said anything bad about them while cavs org did HUGE difference. People only think he stopped trying after he left before that i didnt see any cleveland fans saying he should leave because he quit, hmm what a coincidence.

SO the only small legit argument u have is that lebron couldnt keep his word on deilivering a title but shaq did and thats reason enough to retire his number. Thats still extermely flawed because again lebron the best performer and had less help than shaq did in his championship quest. So its still not even a very good one. Now if things had been much closer like shaq actually was the best performer on his team and didnt underachieve or if lebron played second best and won then this would be a good debate but none of that happened. Not close at all.

Ok, if you want to nit pick, let's just say that both Miami and Cleveland's fanbases felt slighted by the way these guys left. You may not personally agree, but a lot of Cavs fans(and other fans) felt that it was classes the way Lebron left. Many people felt the same way about how Shaq left Miami.

So I ask you, if Shaq promising and bringing the only championship in franchise history isnt worth retiring his number, how is Lebron promising and failing to bring a championship to Cleveland worthy?

Also keep in mind that Lebron hurt Cleveland much more than Shaq hurt Miami. Shaq may have hurt some feelings, but he didn't prevent them from getting better by withholding his decision until the last minute.

I don't see how you can argue against the fact that overall, Shaq did more for the Heat than Lebron did for the Cavs. You have to take everything into consideration, the positives and negatives.

cambovenzi
12-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Dont think so. he barely played there and he wasnt the #1.

I'm Seriously
12-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Wade has no Championships without Shaq. Always hate these threads because people going to hate on Shaq.

True, but Wade was more important to the Heat's championship.

But the point is someone should not have there number retired for being great for two years, and being good for another one and a half.

Hoopsadvocate
12-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Ok, if you want to nit pick, let's just say that both Miami and Cleveland's fanbases felt slighted by the way these guys left. You may not personally agree, but a lot of Cavs fans(and other fans) felt that it was classes the way Lebron left. Many people felt the same way about how Shaq left Miami.
So I ask you, if Shaq promising and bringing the only championship in franchise history isnt worth retiring his number, how is Lebron promising and failing to bring a championship to Cleveland worthy?

Also keep in mind that Lebron hurt Cleveland much more than Shaq hurt Miami. Shaq may have hurt some feelings, but he didn't prevent them from getting better by withholding his decision until the last minute.

I don't see how you can argue against the fact that overall, Shaq did more for the Heat than Lebron did for the Cavs. You have to take everything into consideration, the positives and negatives.

Sorry but again not even close ur comparing apples and oranges. We did not go on national tv burning jerseys and writing booing cheat sheets and talking about his personal life and obsessing about him, once shaq left we knew it was done he wasnt providing much of a service here basketball wise after the championship year and it was time to move on he just then choose to talk trash and we then said fine if u wanna be that way good ridence thats all (which is what every lebron 'hater" should have done instead of what there doing now giving him so much attention and making themselves look foolsih, andagain is why its rediculous to say were the ungrateful ones).

to answer ur question that alone doesnt make ANYONE worthy. At least not that alone. It takes a lot of thing to get ur number retired in an organization big things. Miami was a playoff team for multiple years since the 90's only failing to make it a few years in between shaq basically put us over the hump meanwhile cleveland was nothing like that lebron took them from zero to hero. Meanwhile miami before shaq made it to the 2nd round and its future filled with 3 good young players (wade/caron/odom) looked bright regardless and again shaq just put us over the hump. Thats all he did nothing more and nothing less. Meanwhile lebron set new records for his franschise (which shaq didnt do for th HEAT) and won awards that the organization had never had a player win before (again which shaq didnt do on the HEAT). SO overall for better or worse lebron had a much bigger impact, your wrong.

Rndy
12-01-2010, 05:42 PM
True, but Wade was more important to the Heat's championship.

But the point is someone should not have thier number retired for being great for two years, and being good for another one and a half.

What series did you watch? In the playoffs that year Shaq posted a

Per of 19.9 ts% 571 eFG% 612 TRB% 17.6 DRTG 100. Yeah Wade was more important. Oh wait no he wasn't

His Per was better then Shaq but thats not the best stat anyways. Wade wasn't very efficient in the playoffs that year. Shaq was the man plain and simple.

abe_froman
12-01-2010, 05:51 PM
should they? no,will they? maybe

I'm Seriously
12-01-2010, 06:43 PM
What series did you watch? In the playoffs that year Shaq posted a

Per of 19.9 ts% 571 eFG% 612 TRB% 17.6 DRTG 100. Yeah Wade was more important. Oh wait no he wasn't

His Per was better then Shaq but thats not the best stat anyways. Wade wasn't very efficient in the playoffs that year. Shaq was the man plain and simple.

Wade put up 28 5 5, on 60 TS% in the 06 playoffs.
And in the finals put up 34 4 8, on 57 TS%.

Wade was the man.

John Walls Era
12-01-2010, 06:53 PM
No. It should only be MJ for now, which is kinda cool. Shaq being a journeyman kinda ruined his legacy imo, putting his Heat Jersey next to MJs would be a travesty.

Kashmir13579
12-02-2010, 12:23 AM

:facepalm:

RCarlson85
12-02-2010, 12:41 AM
HELL NO! He was only on the Heat for a few seasons and only good for 2 of them. He did not bring Miami a championship, Wade did. Anyone who says anything different doesn't know what they're saying and needs to go back and watch the finals again. Shaq sucked in the finals and Wade had to play out of this world to bring the Heat a championship. Sorry, no retired number for Shaq.

Vincent33
12-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Sure, why not retire Shaq's jersey for his run with the Heat. This is the same NBA franchise that retired the numbers for Dan Marino and Michael Jordan. Why not fill the rafters with other players who aren't in the same sport or on the same team.

I can't wait to see Hanley Ramirez jersey # retired or Kobe Bryant's # hanging up there someday.

Time2Dieeee
12-02-2010, 01:06 AM
Miami needs to worry about making the playoffs first :p

:facepalm: miami will make the playoffs buddy

blams
12-02-2010, 01:25 AM
While he was clearly the best player on the team, no chance. :laugh2: at the people that think Wade was better at that point.

quikslvr2269
12-02-2010, 01:28 AM
The only team who should retire Shaq's # is the Lakers. End of Story.

bigtony989
12-02-2010, 01:35 AM
this is bein asked cause of the queen wantin his number retired in cleveland right

ddhulett
12-02-2010, 01:38 AM
Yeah why don't you retire Haslem and maybe even Antoine Walkers while your at it! Don't put up threads just to put one up.:facepalm:

I'm Seriously
12-02-2010, 08:53 AM
While he was clearly the best player on the team, no chance. :laugh2: at the people that think Wade was better at that point.

Shaq was better in 05, but Wade was clearly better in 06. And when healthy Wade was better in 06/07 and 07/08.

thekmp211
12-02-2010, 09:16 AM
no. miami will retire udonis haslems number before shaqs.

kntresistheheat
12-02-2010, 10:55 AM
His number will only be retired as a laker, Where he won 3 rings.

KnicksorBust
12-02-2010, 10:57 AM

I agree with this. There really isn't much more to debate.

Brooklyn Mets
12-02-2010, 11:21 AM
no way.. he only played there for like 4 years and as good as he played there he was never the face of the franchise..

ShakeN'Bake
12-02-2010, 01:21 PM
absolutely not

footballer2369
12-02-2010, 04:17 PM

That explains why Shaq averaged more than 20 ppg less in the finals (34 for Wade, 13 for Shaq)...

Shaq wasn't even the best center on his own team in the finals... Zo dominated...

justinnum1
12-02-2010, 04:22 PM
HELL NO! He was only on the Heat for a few seasons and only good for 2 of them. He did not bring Miami a championship, Wade did. Anyone who says anything different doesn't know what they're saying and needs to go back and watch the finals again. Shaq sucked in the finals and Wade had to play out of this world to bring the Heat a championship. Sorry, no retired number for Shaq.

:nod: Zo was more valuable in the finals than Shaq.

mlisica19
12-02-2010, 04:23 PM
This is def a hard subject.

Im not too sure, i think he didnt do enough for this team but to win a championship is huge for any franchise. He may not have been the top star or the go to guy but he was extremely helpful...

Dnovakovic099
12-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by RCarlson85 View Post
"HELL NO! He was only on the Heat for a few seasons and only good for 2 of them. He did not bring Miami a championship, Wade did. Anyone who says anything different doesn't know what they're saying and needs to go back and watch the finals again. Shaq sucked in the finals and Wade had to play out of this world to bring the Heat a championship. Sorry, no retired number for Shaq."

You Heat fans do realize that you wouldn't have won a championship without Shaq? Sure Wade was the main player, but one player dosen't win championships. It is like Lakers fans saying **** Pau Gasol Kobe led us to a title! While his number should not be retired, give him the respect he deserves as a player.

He averaged 18 points and 10 boards a game and defended the post so don't go off saying he didn't do ****. IDC if he struggled in Finals you would have never gotten there without him. You can say he is a bad person and a ****en *******, but give him credit for what he did do.

As for the Shaq and LeBron comparison, it isn't even close. Shaq wasn't the face of the Heat franchise. He came in there said he would bring them a championship and he did. He shouldn't have left like an *******, but hey you got what you wanted and you get to credit Wade for all of it. While LeBron promised he would bring Cleveland and title, he did not. He also left without telling them in advance so they didn't get **** in return besides a roster that was made to help LeBron's stats and a chance to win his title. LeBron did them wrong and everyone knows that. Real team players are like Timmy and Dirk. When both of them had a chance to leave they took pay cuts to stay and make their current team better. If your gonna be a dick atleast do it like Melo and tell the team to trade you so they have more assets, but guess why LeBron couldn't do that? Then Miami would get worse cause they would have to trade away picks and young players. LeBron didn't want that. ****ing ungratful scrub that LeBron is. THANK GOD HE DID NOT COME TO CHICAGO. I was actually watching the confrence and hoping he didn't come her, and I think he is the most talented player in the game. That's how much I hate him.

Antipod
12-02-2010, 04:52 PM
no

jackdawson
12-02-2010, 05:01 PM
I will say we should because he helped us win our only championship. It was a sure call but his stupidity made it an unlikely one. He just burnt too many bridges. If they do, not anytime soon. Not before Wade and Haslem for sure.

king james
12-02-2010, 05:14 PM
hell no

thekmp211
12-02-2010, 09:25 PM
it has nothing to do with his production. shaq was an icon in orlando and la. he was a glorified gun-for-hire in miami. no legacy, no culture, nothing. came, won, left. worth it? yes. but not retired number material

Kevj77
12-02-2010, 09:31 PM
The only team he played for that has to retire his number are the Lakers. Orlando maybe should he made them revelant as an expansion team. He won a ring with Wade in Miami. Both of those teams could retire his number, but it wouldn't be wrong if they didn't.

SteveNash
12-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Miami should retire two numbers.

32 for Shaq.

3 to represent the officials that won Miami a championship.