PDA

View Full Version : Dan Shulman, Bobby Valentine and Orel Hershisher to take over Sunday Night Baseball

quiksilver2491
12-01-2010, 03:39 PM
ESPN Wednesday made it official: Dan Shulman and Bobby Valentine will join returning analyst Orel Hershiser to replace one of the longest-running national on-air TV teams ever as ESPN keeps a three-man booth on its marquee baseball coverage.

Jon Miller and Joe Morgan were dropped after 21 working ESPN's MLB games in Sunday primetime, which is a marquee TV slot because no other MLB games are played at the time and Sunday is TV's most-watched night. ESPN's Mike Soltys confirms that Shulman, a native of Canada who has called ESPN NBA and college basketball games as well as MLB games, will call play-by-play. Hershiser returns after two seasons on MLB Sunday games and is joined by former manager Valentine, who joined ESPN last year as a studio analyst.

-- Michael Hiestand

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/12/its-official-espn-names-new-sunday-night-mlb-team/1

Good News

bahama0811
12-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Very nice! Now I might actually watch it.

theslick1
12-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Well, anything is better than Morgan I guess. Is Shulman any good? Does he end all his sentences with "eh"?

Hunter48MVP
12-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't care who are the broadcasters. I just want to watch baseball.

TheShock45
12-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Wow it's going to be fun listening to Bobby Valentine call people by the wrong names and not knowing things that happened in the past few years. Bring back Jon Miller & pair him with Orel. It would be smart, exciting & good for the game.

CityofTreez
12-01-2010, 04:57 PM

Right here.

Hershiser is phenomenal in the booth, Valentine is meh, and Shulman is just a guy who they all talk down to

2009mvp
12-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Shulman>>>all. Oh Canada, ****es.

Mike Oxlong
12-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Well it's definitely better!

YanksNats1987
12-01-2010, 06:36 PM

This.

TheGiantYankee
12-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Wow it's going to be fun listening to Bobby Valentine call people by the wrong names and not knowing things that happened in the past few years. Bring back Jon Miller & pair him with Orel. It would be smart, exciting & good for the game.

:laugh2:

I logged in just to say that it is going to be hilarious listening to Bobby Valentine call someone by the wrong name, he usually ****s up the first name..Alex Pujols

Hustla23
12-01-2010, 07:54 PM
lol I guess Shulman is a versatile dude. He does NBA games for ESPN. Now, baseball! :clap: :clap:

RTL
12-01-2010, 08:48 PM
All terrible choices and none that are going to bring in more fans to watch.

iggypop123
12-01-2010, 08:52 PM
cant wait to hear stockton again with his erahhs!!

superabound
12-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Wow, am I the only one who is sad to see them go? I liked listening to Miller and Morgan, regardless of how irrelevant it sometimes got. Oh well. I'm sure they will land somewhere else.

Tabbert
12-01-2010, 10:27 PM
:clap:

shortfuze
12-02-2010, 08:32 AM
shulman = best announcer in sports period

The_905
12-02-2010, 12:49 PM
All terrible choices and none that are going to bring in more fans to watch.

Wow, care to elaborate why?

Shulman is one of if not the best play by play guys in sports, Bobby will bring some personality and Orel is as credible as you can get.

zambo4president
12-03-2010, 02:29 AM
God I can't stand Orel. It's mostly his voice, but he makes these gay little jokes every now and then and there not funny. Bobby V is solid though.

RTL
12-03-2010, 02:59 AM
Wow, care to elaborate why?

Shulman is one of if not the best play by play guys in sports, Bobby will bring some personality and Orel is as credible as you can get.

Schulman is ok, nothing special. Bobby's personality doesn't come through well on TV, only on the field where he belongs and Orel is as plain as you can get. Baseball needs more guys like Bob Uecker, Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow types. People who interject the fun and joy of baseball. I loved it when Uecker called World Series games. It made the games more enjoyable. I'm not asking for ESPN to bring in a Dennis Miller because that would be stupid, just people who stand out and make you enjoy the game of baseball. Bobby V stumbling over his own words isn't going to do that. Bringing some youth into the booth wouldn't hurt either. MLB is the worst at marketing their product and ESPN never helps. They rather show a college football practice than talk MLB baseball.

Matchstckman
12-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Schulman is ok, nothing special. Bobby's personality doesn't come through well on TV, only on the field where he belongs and Orel is as plain as you can get. Baseball needs more guys like Bob Uecker, Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow types. People who interject the fun and joy of baseball. I loved it when Uecker called World Series games. It made the games more enjoyable. I'm not asking for ESPN to bring in a Dennis Miller because that would be stupid, just people who stand out and make you enjoy the game of baseball. Bobby V stumbling over his own words isn't going to do that. Bringing some youth into the booth wouldn't hurt either. MLB is the worst at marketing their product and ESPN never helps. They rather show a college football practice than talk MLB baseball.

Wrong. Shulman is a machine. Best in the biz.

DodgersFan28
12-03-2010, 03:35 AM
I'm just glad that I won't have to listen to SF Giants announcers calling Dodger games under some pretense that it's a national broadcast.

todu82
12-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Don't see what the big deal with Shulman is. Guess different strokes for different folks. Wish they would have kept Miller in the booth, move Herisher to colour commentator and bring in a 3rd guy (Which is where Valentine would fit in)

RTL
12-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Wrong. Shulman is a machine. Best in the biz.

In your opinion I guess. I was hoping for Dave O'Brien if I had to pick an ESPN guy.

Something else I was think of was maybe have a former big leaguer in the booth from one of the two two teams that's playing. Like if the Yankees are playing (and of course ESPN will have them over 50 times) have a Reggie Jackson or David Wells in the booth. If its KC, George Brett. Baltimore, have Ripken. Seattle, Griffey jr and so on and so forth. It sure would cut down on some of the stupid **** like So and so hits .415 against lefties at night ********. I would rather here stories from guys like that than listening to Bobby V.

Mile High Champ
12-03-2010, 01:36 PM
lol I guess Shulman is a versatile dude. He does NBA games for ESPN. Now, baseball! :clap: :clap:

Well he started out in baseball when he was the play by play guy for the Toronto Blue Jays. He and his family still live in the Toronto area. He is the best broadcaster in sports in my opinion.

MJ-BULLS
12-03-2010, 02:25 PM
In your opinion I guess. I was hoping for Dave O'Brien if I had to pick an ESPN guy.

Something else I was think of was maybe have a former big leaguer in the booth from one of the two two teams that's playing. Like if the Yankees are playing (and of course ESPN will have them over 50 times) have a Reggie Jackson or David Wells in the booth. If its KC, George Brett. Baltimore, have Ripken. Seattle, Griffey jr and so on and so forth. It sure would cut down on some of the stupid **** like So and so hits .415 against lefties at night ********. I would rather here stories from guys like that than listening to Bobby V.

same here. O Brien is the guy i like watching broadcast games on espn. hes good. i watch shulman broadcast basketball games and he isn't all that good.

gocubs2118
12-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Damnit, should have been Gus Johnson. Stupid ESPN.

robdizzle3
12-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Shulman deserves it.. He knows what he's talking about... O'Brien is great, but Dan can get the job done.

kmo429
12-04-2010, 11:25 PM
I love Bobby V great Guy and he's enjoyabel to listen to, Morgan was horrible, i thought Miller was good, he'll het a job elsewhere anyway

Nuke
12-05-2010, 12:26 PM

I think he's been doing the radio for sunday night baseball for a couple of years.
Shulman is awesome and I can't wait to hear him again on TV. Valentine on the other hand :facepalm:

BigBlueCrew
12-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Dan Shulman really?

Cant admit Ive really heard about the guy, but a guy who has been doing NBA games is going to do Sunday night baseball, really?? ESPN the so called world wide leader in sports couldn't find anyone better?

Tmo440
12-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Jon Miller and Joe Morgan were one of the only reasons why I loved watching Sunday Night Baseball. More importantly, I loved watching the Cubs when those to were calling the games. Going forward it will just not be the same with out them

RangersMets
12-05-2010, 04:03 PM

Wow, you want 2 giants broadcasters! I'm so astonished and taken' back!

RangersMets
12-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Jon Miller and Joe Morgan were one of the only reasons why I loved watching Sunday Night Baseball. More importantly, I loved watching the Cubs when those to were calling the games. Going forward it will just not be the same with out them

Your grammar is the equivalent of what their broadcasting was.