PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Magic going for Agent Zero?

asandhu23
12-01-2010, 03:19 PM
The Orlando Magic and Washington Wizards are discussing a trade that would bring Gilbert Arenas to Florida, according to the reliable Orlando Pinstriped Post.

What Orlando would send Washington in return for the three-time All-Star is less clear, but the proposed deal likely includes shooting guard Vince Carter, according to a source. Wizards big man Andray Blatche, Magic forward Rashard Lewis, and Magic center Daniel Orton could also be involved. Both teams have a mutual understanding of what the trade might include, the source says, and itís unclear what factors are holding up the trade. What is clear around the league, however, is that Magic President of Basketball Operations Otis Smith has his eye on Arenas. If Orlando is to make a major trade this season, Arenas will likely be the target.

That the Magic are still looking for a move that will put them over the top of Boston, Los Angeles and ó theoretically ó Miami was reported earlier this week.

Still, this seems like a bit of a longshot.

First and foremost, Gilbert Arenas brings a major price tag ó he makes nearly $18 million this season and has three years, $61 million left after this season on his deal (if he picks up his player option, which he will). Carter can be a cost savings (which is why Washington would love this deal), Carter is scheduled to make almost the same as Arenas next year but the deal can be bought out for $4 million. With Arenas, you are on the hook for all of it.

The other question becomes ó are you really getting an upgrade? Compare this seasonís stats from Arenas and Carter and you see very similar production (to sum up, Carterís PER is 15.8, Arenas 15.7). I get Orlando may be thinking Carter canít be the secondary playmaker and creator they need ó but do they really think Arenas can be that guy?

Still, the talk is out there.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/01/magic-talking-trade-for-gilbert-arenas/

Minimal
12-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Would be a good trade. Vince is a choker and inconsistent. Arenas would be much more better for them.

mikantsass
12-01-2010, 03:30 PM
So the starting lineup would be

Nelson
Gilbert
Q Richardson
Blatche
Howard

I dont know what to think of that. It has the potential to be good, but I think just as much potential to blow up

ChiSox219
12-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Vince for Arenas is at best a lateral move this season.

The Blatche/Shard/other player talk is interesting.

I haven't watched a ton of Magic basketball this year but I don't Vince Carter is the main problem and the idea of an Arenas/Jameer Nelson back court isn't very enticing.

Jonathan2323
12-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Magic dont need Vince, they are probably better without him. Getting Arenas would be a good trade for them if he stays healthy.

Baller1
12-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Blatche and Arenas? That's ****ed up team chemistry in Orlando waiting to happen.

Kobes a Killer
12-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Why would Washington give up a good player in blatche dunno if he's young, but his game has been in the rise for sure, dunno why you give him up for Lewis who chucks threes like theres no tomorrow, doesn't rebound as well, and probably shoots a higher percentage than Lewis

Weezy
12-01-2010, 03:44 PM
They should just do straight up Carter for Arenas swap. I don't think they need Blatche, etc. involved. This would also let Wall develop better.

D Roses Bulls
12-01-2010, 03:45 PM
I dont like giving up lewis........ blatch is pretty good, but they have enough inside presence with bass, howard, gortat. they dont need him. keep the all star and the proven shooter. arenas is playing good so far, so i dont see how it would hurt the magic, only make them better

Giraffes Rule
12-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Why? They already have a scoring point guard in Jameer Nelson. Why trade for a player with injury problems, character problems, and a ridiculous contract too? Especially when Carmelo Anthony is on the trading block.

Da Knicks
12-01-2010, 03:46 PM
:puke:Arenas contract

ttam68
12-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Vince for Arenas is at best a lateral move this season.

The Blatche/Shard/other player talk is interesting.
I haven't watched a ton of Magic basketball this year but I don't Vince Carter is the main problem and the idea of an Arenas/Jameer Nelson back court isn't very enticing.

Agree entirely. If its big/bad/long contract in Arenas for Lewis, then Carter for some of the other pieces it could make sense. But if the main deal is just Arenas for Carter its bad for the Magic.

ChiSox219
12-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Why would Washington give up a good player in blatche dunno if he's young, but his game has been in the rise for sure, dunno why you give him up for Lewis who chucks threes like theres no tomorrow, doesn't rebound as well, and probably shoots a higher percentage than Lewis

Blatche really isn't that good, he fills the boxscore up but he has some significant flaws.

Magic dont need Vince, they are probably better without him. Getting Arenas would be a good trade for them if he stays healthy.

http://basketballvalue.com/topplayers.php?year=2010-2011&mode=summary&sortnumber=92&sortorder=DESC

If you look at that, the Magic have been very good when Vince Carter has been on the court. Seems like they do need him.

I think people expect Vince to be some super efficient 30ppg scorer like he showed the ability to be years ago. He's not that guy anymore but he still is a very good player.

Southsideheat
12-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Magic probably found out that there's no way of getting Melo next year with Vince coming off the books because that would be ideal.

macc
12-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I really don't see my team trading for Gil. I know Otis is close with him but just a couple weeks ago Otis stated that a reunion with Gil wasn't going to happen in the near future. Granted you can't take anything GMs say serious but I just don't see it happening. Besides it doesn't make our team better. Vince has been playing great this year and has been alot more effieint then years past.

As someone stated above me, it would be a lateral move at best.

knickerbockerny
12-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Wizards trade Gilbert Arenas + A. Blatche to the Magic for Rashad Lewis + Daniel Orton.

After that the Magic should keep Vince for depth off the bench and if he is really about winning he would be alright with that. If not you can trade him somewhere else.

Daniel Orton reunites with his former teammate in Wall...?

bovice163
12-01-2010, 04:19 PM
This could turn out to be a great deal for the Magic and could make them very dangerous. It gives them an actual starting PF (albeit one that plays little defense), and a solid starting SG whose game is really catered to the Magic's system.

Gibby
12-01-2010, 04:25 PM

Blatche is their so Orlando would take arenas big salary

xbrackattackx
12-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Orlando and Washington are basically switching Lewis and Arenas high contracts. And they save a little cause Lewis is like 2 million higher. But they get Carter a veteran for them to have a on young team or if he doesn't work buy him out next season for four million. And they are sending Blatche back for that nice little gift.

MagicBucsSox
12-01-2010, 04:43 PM
im torn on the deal, like Blatche coming, hate Arenas' deal. id rather take on baron davis' or iggy's.

How does this deal make dwight want an extention?

Blazers#1Fan
12-01-2010, 05:15 PM
im torn on the deal, like Blatche coming, hate Arenas' deal. id rather take on baron davis' or iggy's.

How does this deal make dwight want an extention?

this is a great deal for magic they get blatche,arenas save money on deal rashard lewis makes to much they save money 15mill and get a actual PF by trading him they trade carter who's dropped off and arenas can do the same thing this deal is perfect for the magic

Howard
Blatche
Pietrus
Arenas
Nelson

ARENAS NICKNAME ISNT AGENT ZERO ANYMORE ITS 9 GILLIMETER

Slimsim
12-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Blatche is over weight But Arenas been killing it. But his contract isn't so hot so that might be the reason Otis is hesitating

goose15
12-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Agent Zero is a zero

Blazers#1Fan
12-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Blatche is over weight But Arenas been killing it. But his contract isn't so hot so that might be the reason Otis is hesitating

yeah right look at blatche's gun's in this picture

http://www.wizznutzz.com/images/miami_blatche.jpg

iCOOKiE MONSTER
12-01-2010, 05:43 PM
What about Lewis & Nelson for Arenas

j-bay
12-01-2010, 05:50 PM
hey this could turn into something better melo back to dc anyone

Blazers#1Fan
12-01-2010, 05:50 PM
What about Lewis & Nelson for Arenas

nope there's no point in that trade they want to shed carter they want to shed lewis and they want a true PF

Jays Claw
12-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Both Arenas and Carter have been very similar in production this season. Would they really make that much of an impact on their new teams? Although I could see Washington giving Orlando their first-round pick as a thank you for taking on Arenas' horrible contract.

Kleonidas
12-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Blatche is a very nice piece... I'm curious about how Blatche and Howard would do against the Celtics/LakeShow front-lines... Blatche, Howard, Bass and Gortat would be special...

RayRay
12-01-2010, 06:20 PM
If they can dump Lewis' contract its a great deal for Orlando. Thats probably the worst contract in the league. At least Arenas is still productive when his head is right and he's healthy. I bet its being held up because Wash doesn't want Lewis and if you're Orlando he'd have to go. No way you have both of those contracts on your team.

leoncito
12-01-2010, 06:35 PM
I think the only way this is good for the magic is a Lewis, Neslos, for arenas and Blatche. Otherwise we will get killed defensively

Hoopsadvocate
12-01-2010, 06:41 PM
I dont like giving up lewis........ blatch is pretty good, but they have enough inside presence with bass, howard, gortat. they dont need him. keep the all star and the proven shooter. arenas is playing good so far, so i dont see how it would hurt the magic, only make them better

Lewis has been sucking since last year. His departure in the trade is the biggest upside for the magic not carter. Blatche could be great having a twin tower effect with howard but then again him and arenas may not be focused enough i dont think there what they need personality wise. But its a pretty good risk to take as carter and lewis probably wont do anything this year to win and will be that much worse next year as they have already been sliding.

KJ21.the.truth
12-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Kill the chemistry on a team where it is so high? Idk about that. I like Arenas but is he really THAT much of an upgrade for Carter. This seems like a bad move to me, like otis couldn't get Paul/Melo/Iggy so he goes and gets Arenas? Get me Wall and we will talk...

FinsSuperBowl
12-01-2010, 06:55 PM
1) Washington would have to trade their whole team to get both Carter and Lewis

2) Nobody is goin to trade for Lewis he makes over 21 mil next year (forget about it)

Realistic trade scenarios

1) Vince + Bass + Orton FOR Arenas + Blatche

2) Vince for Arenas

FinsSuperBowl
12-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Kill the chemistry on a team where it is so high? Idk about that. I like Arenas but is he really THAT much of an upgrade for Carter. This seems like a bad move to me, like otis couldn't get Paul/Melo/Iggy so he goes and gets Arenas? Get me Wall and we will talk...
Arenas is a better playmaker off the dribble than Carter is. When Carter has the ball he is 100% in score mode. Arenas is averaging 5 assist a game on a team where 2 other point guards get more minutes than him (and he is the teams leading scorer). I think a direct swap would benefit both teams. Carter can play with Hinrich and Wall and not feel too much oversized and the magic will have another playmaker off the dribble besides nelson. hurry up and get the trade done already!

jdmd3
12-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Arenas has been inefficient and has a bad history of injuries and offcourt problems. Vince has been efficient this year and matches up better defensively because of his size. Vince isn't the answer, but Arenas sure as hell isn't the answer either. His contract is also terrible.

If anything the only move that would be fair is Arenas for Lewis plus picks. Before anyone torches me about Lewis for Arenas, remeber that Arenas has had a number of injuries and off court problems. I've also mentioned that he's not efficient when it comes to his scoring or passing. His contract is also longer by a year (he has an early termination option on the same year that Lewis' contract expires, but you'd have to be crazy to think that he'll opt out of $22 million). With Lewis, Wall can set-up potent pick and pop combo. Lewis will also stretch the floor well for Wall and Blatche if he plays at the SF spot. Lewis' numbers are poor because he's the fourth option on the Magic offense. Perhaps he'll be more involved in Washington as a second or third option.

raptor fan
12-01-2010, 07:49 PM
the only way this deal makes sense is if lewis is heading back to washington. that might make sense for both teams as lewis' contract is really bad.

however, if they really wanted to improve their team moving forward, they could try and use vince as a trading piece to bring in andre igoudala (they might need to take on elton brand's contract).

raptor fan
12-01-2010, 07:50 PM
a lineup of:

PG: Nelson
SG: Arenas
SF: Igoudala
PF: Brand
C: Howard

That's pretty stacked but i'm not sure they would work well as a team

John Walls Era
12-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Maybe a new environment would be good for GIl. However this move won't make the Magic that much better... unless Gilbert goes back to the Gilbert in the playoffs.

drobe86
12-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Arenas has been a gy since 06 lol... I would give nothing of quality for him.