PDA

View Full Version : Shaq the best bang for your buck

Chronz
12-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Lets give the guy some credit, did anyone think he would be having a resurgent year? He currently leads the team in PER, Offensive RTG AND Adj +/-. He is also among the top 10 in both Off/Def rebounding% in fact this is the highest rebound rate since his rookie season. All of this while being paid the MINIMUM.

Raise your hand if you expected Shaq to dominate. Did Riley/Wade/Bron/Duncan/Pop make a mistake in not pursuing him? Is this the only team that could have gotten this out of Shaq?

bovice163
12-01-2010, 02:24 PM
I think all of the teams that passed on Shaq made a mistake. He's just another big body to throw at teams in the POs, the numbers he's putting up are just a bonus. I didn't expect Shaq to be this efficient, but I didin't expect him to fall off the map either.

ManRam
12-01-2010, 02:32 PM
I do think he should have garnered a lot more attention, but I also think Boston is the most ideal fit. They have such a good cast around him, including the right amount of depth and complementary big men to really allow him to do just what he needs to do and what he can most effectively do. He's got the perfect amount of minutes, he can be in the perfect position, he can feed off or Rondo's playmaking, and the offense's movement and spacing. It's just the perfect fit.

I do think he would have been a good fit in Miami and SA for sure...but Boston is just perfect.

Super.
12-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Win

kArSoN RyDaH
12-01-2010, 02:38 PM
This is coming from a team where 3 players got outrebounded by Kobe in game 7. I'm not well informed on how good of a rebounding team they are but considering they lack a true center he should be leading them in REB%.

bovice163
12-01-2010, 02:41 PM
This is coming from a team where 3 players got outrebounded by Kobe in game 7. I'm not well informed on how good of a rebounding team they are but considering they lack a true center he should be leading them in REB%.

What Boston lacks in talent, they gain in depth. Why do you think Orlando always has the most trouble against Boston, even when they have the best center in the game?

D1JM
12-01-2010, 02:42 PM
I wanted shaq with the bulls

D1JM
12-01-2010, 02:43 PM
What Boston lacks in talent, they gain in depth. Why do you think Orlando always has the most trouble against Boston, even when they have the best center in the game?

perkins handles dwight by himself and he doesnt need help.

TragicallyHip
12-01-2010, 02:52 PM

Since when is Perkins not considered a "true center"? Check your facts dude.

bovice163
12-01-2010, 02:59 PM
perkins handles dwight by himself and he doesnt need help.

Yes but in the playoffs when teams purposely try to get a key player in foul trouble, Boston has enough depth to be able to cushion themselves from that, while frustrating and getting the other player in foul trouble. I'm well aware that Perkins can handle Dwight, but Perkins has had games where he was either hurt or in foul trouble, and guys like KG and Big Baby stepped it up when he was out.

Jays Claw
12-01-2010, 03:03 PM
I predicted him to have a solid, but injury-riddled season. Never would have thought he'd be leading the team in PER, ORtg and Adj. +/- while having a career-high .675 FG%. He's definitely been worth the buck.

Joshtd1
12-01-2010, 03:05 PM
The offensive rating probably comes from getting so many wide open looks.I was checking earlier and unless Im wrong I saw Tyson Chandler is leading the league in ORTG right now with 141..so I don't know how I feel with Shaq's offensive game.

Either way he is doing better then I thought, I know I didn't want him here because we already have two old slow guys and didn't think an older/slower guy would help.

mikantsass
12-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Well us Celtics fans were hoping to get this kind of production out of him. Although I think he will take some time off come January

ChiSox219
12-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Too bad Lebron couldn't take advantage of Shaq's immense talent last year.

barreleffact
12-01-2010, 03:53 PM
LA should have pushed for him. not just because of his skill, but to prevent their biggest rival from signing him

edit: plus bynum is overrated and is always injured. shaq gets injured a lot but the more big men the better. especially when signed for the min

DodgerBlue22
12-01-2010, 04:10 PM
he's a guy that needed a spark to care about basketball again and Kobe winning number 5 last year and then Lebron leaving him hanging did the trick..He knows his role is 20-25 minutes a game and accepts it that's why he is playing so well..Look for him to take some time off at the end of the season and be ready to go after the Heat Magic and Lakers if they make the finals with all he's got left in the tank..

xbrackattackx
12-01-2010, 04:26 PM
I am glad. I have always liked shaq, Not gonna stop now!

redsox0717
12-01-2010, 05:30 PM
His stats are pretty gaudy right now because he is getting a TON of wide open looks and dunks, because the Celtics have a slew of very good passers as well as players that demand attention, starting with Rondo.

Chronz
12-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Too bad Lebron couldn't take advantage of Shaq's immense talent last year.
I was thinking about that too. Troubling but this also implies someone else on the Celtics is, so who do you most attribute Shaqs success to? Rondo, KG, RAY?

His stats are pretty gaudy right now because he is getting a TON of wide open looks and dunks, because the Celtics have a slew of very good passers as well as players that demand attention, starting with Rondo.
You are correct sir
Shaq is being assisted at a career high rate from 58% last year to 77% this year. Still to be able to finish all those plays created at a high rate is impressive. Who would you credit his success most to?

The offensive rating probably comes from getting so many wide open looks.I was checking earlier and unless Im wrong I saw Tyson Chandler is leading the league in ORTG right now with 141..so I don't know how I feel with Shaq's offensive game.

Either way he is doing better then I thought, I know I didn't want him here because we already have two old slow guys and didn't think an older/slower guy would help.
Its true you would normally expect the leaders in OFF.RTG to be low possession finishers rather than creators but it still speaks to their efficiency in that role. And when your accounting for as many possessions as he has, it speaks to your ability to get open as well. You didnt see Perk putting up these #'s, and what Tyson has been doing is impressive as well, but theres a key difference. Shaq accounts for a usage of 20.2%, Chandler a paltry 12%. You dont have to play 4 vs 5 basketball with Shaq on the court

Jays Claw
12-01-2010, 06:09 PM
I was thinking about that too. Troubling but this also implies someone else on the Celtics is, so who do you most attribute Shaqs success to? Rondo, KG, RAY?

Rondo and KG have been key players toward Shaq's offensive success, in my opinion. Rondo has been doing a great job finding him down low while KG's ablility to attract double-teams on the perimeter allows Shaq to operate comfortably in the paint.

shep33
12-01-2010, 07:37 PM
IMO... Shaq and Matt Barnes have been the best value free agent pickups.

Hustla23
12-01-2010, 07:49 PM
I sure am happy. I took Shaq with like my 7th pick.

gr824
12-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Since when is Perkins not considered a "true center"? Check your facts dude.

At the moment, Perkins is unavailable, due to his injury, so the Celtics do currently lack a true center other than O'Neal [ at least one with NBA experience -- J. O'Neal is a 'hybrid' PF/C and Erden is a 'rook' ] ...

TheHoopsProphet
12-02-2010, 06:46 AM
la should have pushed for him. Not just because of his skill, but to prevent their biggest rival from signing him

edit: Plus bynum is overrated and is always injured. Shaq gets injured a lot but the more big men the better. Especially when signed for the min

thekmp211
12-02-2010, 09:20 AM
it's a perfect fit. he is being asked to do exactly what he is capable of at this stage in his career -- sit in the paint, grab boards, and score on easy looks.

he was solid in cleveland last year, as well, but not for a #3 scorer on a championship contender.

magichatnumber9
12-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Shaq has been a blessing to the Celtics. Him and Garnett are like brothers

corky831
12-02-2010, 09:55 AM
hes been awesome this yr for us.....we rlly have a big 5

checkit
12-02-2010, 07:16 PM
I love how well Shaq is doing so far.

SteveNash
12-02-2010, 09:14 PM
He's still the best center in the game.

thekmp211
12-02-2010, 09:17 PM
He's still the best center in the game.

.......:eyebrow:

Raph12
12-02-2010, 11:30 PM
We all know he still has the capability to give any team a solid 20-30mpg, but it's upto him to play hard while he's on the floor, something he's willing to do for a very respected Celts team. Shaq is playing hard because he knows Doc, KG, Pierce and Ray wouldn't tolerate his bs. The Spurs may have been the only other team who could get this from him IMO... If he slacks he'll get benched and he wants to play, plain and simple.

drobe86
12-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Shaqs not a bang for anybodys buck. Shaq is old, and overrated. All he does at this point is go to the team he thinks will win a ring the next year while contributing nothing but 5 fouls per game to that team... Shaq was done in 06

LeonFSU
12-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Shaqs not a bang for anybodys buck. Shaq is old, and overrated. All he does at this point is go to the team he thinks will win a ring the next year while contributing nothing but 5 fouls per game to that team... Shaq was done in 06

This is the first team Shaq signed with since LA. Do you know what you are talking about? How was he "done" in 06? Yeah he was probably done averaging 20 pts 10 rebs for 13 straight years, but he was hardly done. He averaged 18 pts and 8 rebs in 2008-2009, and was easily the 2nd or 3rd best center that year.

You are correct sir
Shaq is being assisted at a career high rate from 58% last year to 77% this year. Still to be able to finish all those plays created at a high rate is impressive. Who would you credit his success most to?

I don't think you can attribute it to Rondo. Shaq has had his best games this year without Rondo playing. Not saying Rondo hasn't helped, but I think it is more about Shaq benefiting from playing in the Celtics' offense, and not playing with LeBron. The Celtics' players understand how to get Shaq the ball. When the Cavs' players penetrated they couldn't get the ball for easier layups. The Celtics' players know how to do this

Hustlenomics
12-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Shaq is a baller

Lim
12-03-2010, 03:02 AM
anyone who watches boston would realize that without rondo shaq would be HORRIBLE. he just stands around and is basically immobile on fast breaks and defense. and his PER is so high because all of his shots are literally right under the rim for easy layups/dunks

stawka
12-03-2010, 03:46 AM
anyone who watches boston would realize that without rondo shaq would be HORRIBLE. he just stands around and is basically immobile on fast breaks and defense. and his PER is so high because all of his shots are literally right under the rim for easy layups/dunks

You realize Rondo missed a few games over the last week or so, and Shaq has been playing great since then?

5ass
12-03-2010, 03:56 AM
i say roy hibbert is the best bang for your buck.
16-9-3-2 in 30 minutes and making only 1.6 million this year. Those are all-star type stats!

Lim
12-03-2010, 05:51 AM
You realize Rondo missed a few games over the last week or so, and Shaq has been playing great since then?

he just missed like 3 games and shaq only had 1 GOOD game without him. and even so in those games where rondo was out, i rarely saw shaq make his own shot. until he stops getting spoon fed the majority of his shots(easy *** dunks and oops night in and night out) i will not slob on his knob.

dodie53
12-03-2010, 08:10 AM
celtics are lucky to get something out of shaq

drobe86
12-03-2010, 10:11 AM
This is the first team Shaq signed with since LA. Do you know what you are talking about? How was he "done" in 06? Yeah he was probably done averaging 20 pts 10 rebs for 13 straight years, but he was hardly done. He averaged 18 pts and 8 rebs in 2008-2009, and was easily the 2nd or 3rd best center that year.

I don't think you can attribute it to Rondo. Shaq has had his best games this year without Rondo playing. Not saying Rondo hasn't helped, but I think it is more about Shaq benefiting from playing in the Celtics' offense, and not playing with LeBron. The Celtics' players understand how to get Shaq the ball. When the Cavs' players penetrated they couldn't get the ball for easier layups. The Celtics' players know how to do this

Lol... Shaqs been on a different team every year since 06. Heat, Suns, Cavs, and now the Celtics. Great players don't play on 4 teams in 4 years lol.... He's a Chris Gatling type journeyman

Dnovakovic099
12-03-2010, 10:47 AM
he just missed like 3 games and shaq only had 1 GOOD game without him. and even so in those games where rondo was out, i rarely saw shaq make his own shot. until he stops getting spoon fed the majority of his shots(easy *** dunks and oops night in and night out) i will not slob on his knob.

Look at Shaq's stats last year and the year before and tell me that Rondo makes him a good player. He played on Cleveland, Phoenix, and now Boston. All three seasons were very good for 23 mins a game and the one in Phoenix was very good. What are you going to tell me next, that LeBron, Nash, Rondo, Wade, and Kobe made his career? STFU dude you have no case.

Chronz
12-03-2010, 02:14 PM
According to a report I read on the C's +/-, Shaq and the C's have been at their best when he has Ray Allen on the floor. Ill keep an eye on this trend but it makes sense, great/prolific shooters always make players on the court better, and Ray even now is elite.

Why not? Hes finishing at an elite rate. Do not make the mistake that any bigman could be finishing all these plays that are being created for him.

Chronz
12-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Lol... Shaqs been on a different team every year since 06. Heat, Suns, Cavs, and now the Celtics. Great players don't play on 4 teams in 4 years lol.... He's a Chris Gatling type journeyman

Im not seeing your logic

thekmp211
12-03-2010, 02:34 PM

Chris Gatling??? Hahahaha what??

No, he isn't that type of player. He's changed teams for a variety of reasons that have had little to do with his production. He turned on the Miami organization, the Suns (despite their best efforts) simply were not a good fit for his game, the Cavs acquired him to compete with howard and give LeBron help, and now the Celtics are starting him and he's been very effective.

I understand what you're saying, but to equate the two is to completely ignore the production and circumstance. I don't recall any contenders bringing in Chris Gatling for the final push..

thekmp211
12-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Im not seeing your logic

chronz every time someone watches the video in your sig, an angel dies.

Bos_Sports4Life
12-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Id rank him above big baby on the c's roster and 3rd behind kg/when perks healthy, hes deff moved above jermaine

BkOriginalOne
12-03-2010, 03:08 PM
I don't think the Heat and Lakers had a chance.

I think the Celtics were great for Him because he could get to start for months and get in a groove.
Also, he is only playing about half the game. How could you not expect Shaq to not play with Allen, Pierce and KG, especially with a PG like Rondo and a coach like Rivers.

iCOOKiE MONSTER
12-03-2010, 03:35 PM
He's old, but..

He still gots game

beasted86
12-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Heat never wanted him, and still don't want him. He's not what we need.

But he seems to be a good fit in place of Perkins for now. He's not as good overall defensively, but he can finish the baskets Perk was turning over last season.

Patman
12-03-2010, 05:08 PM
i say roy hibbert is the best bang for your buck.
16-9-3-2 in 30 minutes and making only 1.6 million this year. Those are all-star type stats!

You have a good point here Hibbert plays really good at the moment but he is due to a big pay day if he keeps that production up.

Shaq definitely surprised me i didn't think he still could do it as a role player, but it seems he finally accepted his role and does not expect to carry an offense anymore. This could be helped by the veterans around him. If he stays healthy he is a great asset for the Celtics.

@Chronz
Your Sig illustrates an issue i have with most Team defenses against Boston they all overplay Rondo in my Opinion they try to take away the drive and Scoring but the guy just looks to pass even if he has an open layup. You should force him to be a scorer and finisher in my opinion and stay at home.

Lim
12-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Look at Shaq's stats last year and the year before and tell me that Rondo makes him a good player. He played on Cleveland, Phoenix, and now Boston. All three seasons were very good for 23 mins a game and the one in Phoenix was very good. What are you going to tell me next, that LeBron, Nash, Rondo, Wade, and Kobe made his career? STFU dude you have no case.

where the fk did i bring up anything about his production in previous seasons? i just said this season he is being spoon fed the majority of his shots and most of them are not contested. if u disagree with that statement then u are delusional or u arent watching many boston games i dont know what else to tell u.

Hustlenomics
12-03-2010, 09:47 PM

i watch all their games and you are absolutely right