PDA

View Full Version : Nets-Knicks Ads Feud

*Superman*
11-30-2010, 10:03 PM
N.J. -- Knicks-Nets may not be much of a rivalry on the basketball court, but it's alive and well in the teams' front offices.

The Knicks recently released a radio ad tweaking the Nets, stating "Hey Nets. You can walk like us, you can talk like us, but you ain't never gonna be like us." On Tuesday morning, hours before the Nets traveled across the Hudson River to take on the Knicks at the Garden, Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov responded to the radio spot.

"I don't think we want to be like the Knicks. I think we'd more like to resemble the Lakers," the first-year owner said in a statement released by the Nets.

"The Knicks seem to be spending a lot of time thinking about us lately," added Nets CEO Brett Yormark. "They must have seen the steel rise at the Barclays Center last week."

The back-and-forth between marketing departments has been going on since early July. On the eve of the free-agent signing period, the Nets unveiled a 227-foot billboard near Madison Square Garden that featured Prokhorov and part-owner Jay-Z standing underneath the headline "The Blueprint for Greatness."

A few days before their opener, the Knicks responded with billboards featuring Amare Stoudemire on buildings near the Nets' yet-to-be constructed arena in Brooklyn.

"We ran some ads, they ran some ads, it's just an ad-fest," Nets point guard Devin Harris said Tuesday morning.

Harris later added that he appreciated Prokhorov's response to the Knicks' radio ad.

"It gives us confidence. [You] know that he's going to back us no matter what," he said. "He's proud of his product and we want to give him something to be proud of."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5866744

I thought that was the funniest thing ever. Who would want to make there team like the Knicks? :laugh2:

Draco
11-30-2010, 10:08 PM
I thought that was the funniest thing ever. Who would want to make there team like the Knicks? :laugh2:

The plan for the Knicks marketing department appears to have been to give Prokhorov a great opportunity to respond.

D Roses Bulls
11-30-2010, 10:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5866744

THIS

No offense Knick Fans

Pete Dahh Sneak
11-30-2010, 10:11 PM
:laugh:

That's the Knicks 4 ya

*Superman*
11-30-2010, 10:13 PM
THIS

No offense Knick Fans

Haha. Yeah. Not trying to hate on them, but a bad move by there front office calling out the Nets like that when they haven't had any success to brag about. They have some nice pieces, but so do the Nets.

justinnum1
11-30-2010, 10:24 PM
lol

omdigga
11-30-2010, 11:14 PM
this is funny.. i think it will be a great rivalry when they get to brooklyn..

HeaTxRipZz
11-30-2010, 11:16 PM
classic rivalry not that any of the kids here would know about it....I think it's funny though cause the knicks are finally looking really solid but still haven't proven to be out of the losing slump but still very cocky to the ppl on the other side of the hudson LOL really is a true hate there between ny and nj ppl

blahblahyoutoo
11-30-2010, 11:27 PM
"I don't think we want to be like the Knicks. I think we'd more like to resemble the Lakers," the first-year owner said in a statement released by the Nets.

well said by the nets owner.

xabial
11-30-2010, 11:33 PM
lol its a turf war

Crackadalic
11-30-2010, 11:38 PM
the knicks players are better then the nets players yea i said it:)

mjqusoldier
11-30-2010, 11:46 PM
The Knicks just whooped them

Slimsim
11-30-2010, 11:47 PM
NJ and NY gang war

Robbw241
11-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Any man wearing orange near me, Ima kill him cause thats how hard this is

PatsSoxKnicks
11-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Well, the Knicks did get the last laugh today. And in the standings currently...

We'll see how the rest of the season plays out.

DoMeFavors
11-30-2010, 11:55 PM
the knicks players are better then the nets players yea i said it:)

I dont disagree

SNYmets86
11-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Any man wearing orange near me, Ima kill him cause thats how hard this is

:facepalm:

xabial
12-01-2010, 12:00 AM
I dont disagree

You are one classy Net Fan.

PC
12-01-2010, 12:04 AM
"Hey Nets. You can walk like us, you can talk like us, but you ain't never gonna be like us."
No offense to Nets fan, but this is true. Even when they move to Brooklyn, they'll always be second to the Knicks like the Mets are second to the Yankees (I'm a Mets fan by the way).

Well Prokhorov did try to buy the Knicks before he bought the Nets and failed so yeah, in a way he probably does want to be like the Knicks.

"The Knicks seem to be spending a lot of time thinking about us lately," added Nets CEO Brett Yormark. "They must have seen the steel rise at the Barclays Center last week."
Funny they say that. Like the article said, they were the ones who tried to start something before free agency with the billboard about their "blueprint for greatness." Obviously that didn't pan out and they ended up pulling that billboard a month later.

NYYCowboys
12-01-2010, 12:12 AM
No offense to Nets fan, but this is true. Even when they move to Brooklyn, they'll always be second to the Knicks like the Mets are second to the Yankees (I'm a Mets fan by the way).

Well Prokhorov did try to buy the Knicks before he bought the Nets and failed so yeah, in a way he probably does want to be like the Knicks.

Funny they say that. Like the article said, they were the ones who tried to start something before free agency with the billboard about their "blueprint for greatness." Obviously that didn't pan out and they ended up pulling that billboard a month later.

LOL Yeah like the Knicks actually care about what the Nets do... I've lived in NY my entire life and know of 1 Net fan. Even my family in NJ are Knicks fans. They are basically irrelevant in NY. You compared them to the Mets, but they are definitely lower than the Mets are in this town.

King P
12-01-2010, 12:15 AM
I feel like I'm one of the few Nets fans that doesn't hate the Knicks. This **** is more like a family rivalry to me :shrug:

King P
12-01-2010, 12:18 AM
And please don't compare the Knicks to the Yankees, and the Nets to the Mets.

That's a horrible comparison.

DoMeFavors
12-01-2010, 12:18 AM
LOL Yeah like the Knicks actually care about what the Nets do... I've lived in NY my entire life and know of 1 Net fan. Even my family in NJ are Knicks fans. They are basically irrelevant in NY. You compared them to the Mets, but they are definitely lower than the Mets are in this town.

When you say like Mets or comparing the Nets to people do you mean by fan base or winning? Because I heard people say the Nets are the clippers. The Knicks have more fans and get more attention but in terms of winnining I dont think the Nets and Knicks are like that.

NYK_kidd77
12-01-2010, 12:21 AM
That was just the promo for the Knicks vs. Nets game not really a big statement or anything just for the rivalry. I mean the Nets promo for the game was something like "Well show them who the real kings are."

Da Knicks
12-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Nice game tonight, Brook had a good game but knicks look like they are coming together...

PC
12-01-2010, 12:27 AM
When you say like Mets or comparing the Nets to people do you mean by fan base or winning? Because I heard people say the Nets are the clippers. The Knicks have more fans and get more attention but in terms of winnining I dont think the Nets and Knicks are like that.

Well the Knicks were pretty much irrelevant the past decade so I didn't mean it in terms of winning, I meant it in terms of how big the fan base is

NYsFinest
12-01-2010, 12:28 AM
the whole walk like us talk like us thing isn't necessarily about who won more basketball games in the past. its that the nets are not shy about declaring that they are moving to NY and attempting to claim knick fans and take over the region. Sure the knicks have sucked, but NY is Knicksland regardless how hard the Nets try to impersonate being a NY team.

DoMeFavors
12-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Well the Knicks were pretty much irrelevant the past decade so I didn't mean it in terms of winning, I meant it in terms of how big the fan base is

Well yeah, The Knicks play in the biggest city in the country, the Nets going there is not gonna gain them fans easily.

DoMeFavors
12-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Two ****** teams nobody should give a **** about.

Whos your team?

Giaps
12-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Ignorant posts, are ignorant.

The ad was about stature in New York. The Knicks are loved and the Nets want to steal Knick fans. Not about wins and losses.

Feel free to continue not knowing what you're talking about.

John Walls Era
12-01-2010, 01:48 AM
:laugh: At the Knicks. THe best part is how they tried to get back at them by having an Amare ad in NY next to the new building, lol. Is that their way of getting back?

NYsFinest
12-01-2010, 01:56 AM
:laugh: At the Knicks. THe best part is how they tried to get back at them by having an Amare ad in NY next to the new building, lol. Is that their way of getting back?

Nets are trying to become "NYs team" by talking a lot, however they remain irrelevant in New York. That's exactly what the ad says, the Nets are just harmless with a big bark.

OA SLAY
12-01-2010, 01:57 AM
They will forever try to get back to NewYork Nets status... they should just give us Harris, Lopez n Favors at cost, dis-continue the team n send the rest of players to the D.

29$JerZ
12-01-2010, 02:02 AM

NY signed Amar'e
NJ signed Outlaw

That Amar'e sign was pretty significant to me :shrug:

Hindy27
12-01-2010, 02:29 AM
lol at the Knicks fans using the Yankees-Mets comparison. The Knicks would kill for even a small fraction of the Yankees success.

When pointed out that they have been pathetic for the last decade, they say it's not about winning, it's about the size of the fanbase.
Fans don't win championships, obviously you guys know this already.

The Knicks will probably finish higher than the Nets this year, maybe even next year, especially if they get Melo. The Nets though are still slowly improving after the disaster of recent times and should start to be very competitive in 2-3 years time. That time frame, which will include the move to Brooklyn, will be when we start to see a proper rivalry take off.

The Knicks-Nets thing has never really taken off, mainly because when one team is doing well the other isn't, or they've been bad at the same time. As much as I'd like to see NY fail, it would be good to see both teams sitting in the top 3-4 of the East, that is when the rivalry will really good. Imagine when the Nets are in Brooklyn if these teams meet in the Eastern Conference Finals, it will be huge.:clap:

ink
12-01-2010, 02:30 AM
Please don't start threads like this. It just leads to petty baiting and feuding on the forum ... and infractions.