PDA

View Full Version : LeBron Hopes Cavs Will Retire His Jersey - Do you think they will?

JordansBulls
11-30-2010, 04:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/news/story?id=5867302

LeBron James saw images of his Cavaliers jersey being burned the night he made his free agency decision to leave Cleveland to sign with the Miami Heat.

Eventually, he'd like to see that jersey hanging from the rafters in Quicken Loans Arena.

"Wow. Of course," James said Tuesday after the Heat's practice. "If that's something that organization and franchise would do, I'm all respectful of that. I just tried to be the best player I could be every night, whether I was in that Cavalier uniform, that USA uniform. If that results in me having my jersey retired that would be great."

"I'm ready for whatever response I'm going to get," James said. "It's going to be very emotional. I give a lot of thanks to that city, a lot of thanks to those fans for giving me the opportunity to not only showcase my talent, but to grow from a young boy to a man during my seven years. So it's going to be very emotionally draining. I can tell already."

yanks19791024
11-30-2010, 05:02 PM
I voted no, and I dont think it will ever happen

kArSoN RyDaH
11-30-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm a little mixed on this. I think eventually down the line they will retire his jersey just because he was one of the greatest players to ever wear a Cavs jersey but it's going to be hard because of the fashion he left the team in. Maybe they will but not for a long, long time.

dtmagnet
11-30-2010, 05:10 PM
No, in retrospect what did he do to deserve that?

Minimal
11-30-2010, 05:10 PM
The guy did the best for their organisation, as the result they hate him.
After like 10 years or more I think they will eventually do that.

MacFitz92
11-30-2010, 05:12 PM
It shouldn't and it probably won't. He screwed the organization over.

MacFitz92
11-30-2010, 05:14 PM
The guy did the best for their organisation, as the result they hate him.
After like 10 years or more I think they will eventually do that.

They hate him because he went on national television and embarrased them. Not to mention he gave them until the last minute to tell them, and they found out when the rest of the world did, on an ESPN show.

BT601
11-30-2010, 05:15 PM
No they shouldn't he went to the Finals once and they got beat down. I don't have a problem with him leaving Cleveland, but the way he did it I don't think he deserves to have his jersey retired there.

IDB Josh M
11-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Probably. He'll go back to them and atone for wronging them.

Chucky Woods
They might, I mean we are still retiring Favre's number and look how he screwed us over.

Minimal
He made Cavs Eastern Conference champions the first and only time in franchise history all by himself basically.

ackar
11-30-2010, 05:17 PM
No

Minimal
11-30-2010, 05:18 PM
They hate him because he went on national television and embarrased them. Not to mention he gave them until the last minute to tell them, and they found out when the rest of the world did, on an ESPN show.
So u think if he didn't do "The Decision" they wouldn't be hating him?

MDfootball36
11-30-2010, 05:18 PM
they should burn it and then hang it from the rafters

Ebbs
11-30-2010, 05:19 PM
If he goes back and retires their then yes.

nightBULL
11-30-2010, 05:19 PM
:laugh:

Lebron's ego is ridiculous. Why would the Cavs retire the jersey of a guy who promised them the world, delivered nothing, and then split??

Lebron is an amazing basketball player but he has to understand he screwed the Cavs in the end.

d00d
11-30-2010, 05:20 PM
he didn't win a ****ing thing. NO!

Kenny Powders
11-30-2010, 05:20 PM
they should burn it and then hang it from the rafters

They should change the name on the back to "Sell Out" and then hang it from the rafters.

jimbobjarree
11-30-2010, 05:23 PM
they should have an olympic torch sort of thing, that never burns out, and is always fuelled by lebron cavs jerseys

dtmagnet
11-30-2010, 05:25 PM
He made Cavs Eastern Conference champions the first and only time in franchise history all by himself basically.

And being Eastern Conference champions means what in this league exactly? Nothing, that's what.

hgtiger32
11-30-2010, 05:26 PM
to the people who said no- because he completely changed around the city of Cleveland and he was a FREE agent so he could go wherever he wanted. As a Packers fan, #4 will be retired someday, us Packers fan will forgive him and such which i think Cavs fans will do as well

GW3 all day
11-30-2010, 05:27 PM
NO. If he won a championship there, sure, retire his jersey. But, he didn't win a championship.

No way.

Slimsim
11-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Yes they should and will

Sly Guy
11-30-2010, 05:28 PM
not until there's a new owner and the current generation of bball fans forget who he is. And even then it's a big 'if'

nyjets28
11-30-2010, 05:29 PM
to quote vince mcmahon... NO CHANCE IN HELL!

alencp3
They shouldnt but they will

Hawkeye15
he would have to return to the team and retire there, and even then I am not sure they would do it

stensley
to leave cleveland the way he did....no way

Pierzynski4Prez
I didn't realize LBJ did something that warranted getting your jersey retired. MVP I guess, but nothing else.

So should Phoenix retire Nash's jersey? Maybe Philly retire AI's, maybe Minny will retire Garnetts. Then I guess it would make sense for Cleveland to retire LBJ's.

rrude
11-30-2010, 05:33 PM
Is this a joke? Somebody needs to wake him up...I suppose he means after a long successful career, but at this point most of it will not have been with Cavs.

Pierzynski4Prez
11-30-2010, 05:34 PM
They should change the name on the back to "Sell Out" and then hang it from the rafters.

This

Thank you Kenny Powers

shamah115
11-30-2010, 05:35 PM
no.

Bubba17
11-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Nope, and with Dan Gilbert as owner that really doesnt help the slim chances. It's not like he won 3 championships there or anything either. Could you imagine them having a ceremony to retire the number? People would be booing and throwing things at him.

roshan3ai
11-30-2010, 05:36 PM
They won't retire his jersey, but I still think they should.

Mplsman
11-30-2010, 05:37 PM
With Lebron's blood on it maybe.

Cosmic_Canon
11-30-2010, 05:37 PM
After 10 years or so after he retires, they should do it, since you know he was their best player and all. That's not saying much right? :rolleyes:

KeithLBC
11-30-2010, 05:38 PM
If there's any debate about whether Shaq should have his jersey retired in LA after winning 3 straight championships, why is there debate over whether Cleveland should retire Lebron's jersey? If three rings and leaving as an "unwanted" free agent doesn't get your jersey retired then what did Lebron do for the city of Cleveland for them to honor him like that?

D Roses Bulls
11-30-2010, 05:40 PM
i didn't realize lbj did something that warranted getting your jersey retired. Mvp i guess, but nothing else.

So should phoenix retire nash's jersey? Maybe philly retire ai's, maybe minny will retire garnetts. Then i guess it would make sense for cleveland to retire lbj's.

this

nightBULL
11-30-2010, 05:40 PM
to the people who said no- because he completely changed around the city of Cleveland and he was a FREE agent so he could go wherever he wanted. As a Packers fan, #4 will be retired someday, us Packers fan will forgive him and such which i think Cavs fans will do as well

Favre only left GB because after his first retirment the team decided they wanted to stick with Rodgers.

Favre played 17 seasons with the Pack, thats a lot more history than Lebron's 7.

Favre won the Packers championship, Lebron didn't win one for the Cavs.

Are you suuuure you're a Packers fan????

Draco
11-30-2010, 05:42 PM
They should retire Delonte's jersey

D Roses Bulls
11-30-2010, 05:42 PM
anyone who thinks they will retire his jersey in cleveland doesnt know basketball. he didnt win nothing........ and its not like he spent his whole career in cleveland which would be the case for him not winning nothing and he left cleveland on a sour note. THEY WONT RETIRE HIS JERSEY

D Roses Bulls
11-30-2010, 05:43 PM
They should retire Delonte's jersey

they should, in actuality west did most of the scoring while with the cavs. ;)

Hunter48MVP
11-30-2010, 05:45 PM
They might but not likely. LeBron James was the best Cavalier in their history and he change that organzation to a winning team. But James screwed that team when he joined the Heat.

Cosmic_Canon
11-30-2010, 05:47 PM
If there's any debate about whether Shaq should have his jersey retired in LA after winning 3 straight championships, why is there debate over whether Cleveland should retire Lebron's jersey? If three rings and leaving as an "unwanted" free agent doesn't get your jersey retired then what did Lebron do for the city of Cleveland for them to honor him like that?

The Lakers will retire his jersey, since he was the key reason for those chip teams. With that said, you'd be a fool, if you said "Lebron didn't do anything"? From the moment he was drafted, he instantly gave hope to a struggling franchise, and became a star before playing. Couple that with becoming the greatest player in franchise player, and being a elite player in the league. Sure, he was a jerk, and he ran the Cavs. However, he helped revitalized downtown Cleveland, and took the Cavs to new heights. That whole "he didn't do anything because he didn't win" is bull. Since that's the case, what did that Marino guy do for the Dolphins?

Garden Faithful
11-30-2010, 05:59 PM
I doubt they will retire his jersey especially as long as the current owners own the team. Secondly along with the Packers/Favre thing he won a championship holds many records for qb's all time and is arguable one of the best ever even with as much of a ******* as he currently is. Lebron has not reached that pinnacle yet and may never if he succumbs to injury or some other unforeseen thing in the future. He was a great player that took his team far into the playoffs but he did not win anything and whether there was no one there with him is irrelevant in this conversation. And another thing just because he left Cleveland or screwed them over is not a reason not to retire it the reason is that he did not have the decency to tell the organization prior to telling the world which is a gigantic spit in the face an a complete lack of respect for his former team. He is a great player but his lack of class in handling that particular situation IMO is the reason not to retire it.

mjt20mik
11-30-2010, 06:01 PM
It is a Vince Carter scenario. What Vince did for the Raptors put them on the map. However, the way he left, left a bad taste with the fans. That is why I doubt they will retire his jersey. In retrospect, same thing with Lebron. They won't retire his jersey.

Pierzynski4Prez
11-30-2010, 06:01 PM
The Lakers will retire his jersey, since he was the key reason for those chip teams. With that said, you'd be a fool, if you said "Lebron didn't do anything"? From the moment he was drafted, he instantly gave hope to a struggling franchise, and became a star before playing. Couple that with becoming the greatest player in franchise player, and being a elite player in the league. Sure, he was a jerk, and he ran the Cavs. However, he helped revitalized downtown Cleveland, and took the Cavs to new heights. That whole "he didn't do anything because he didn't win" is bull. Since that's the case, what did that Marino guy do for the Dolphins?

He only started his career and finished it with the same team, without leaving in the meantime on some nationally publicized "Decision show" meant to do nothing but embarrass that city the helped build up. Marino also set about every QB record along the way.

What has Lebron really done besides pump some money into the Cleveland economy for 7 years, only to leave and put the Cleveland economy right back where it was before?

hotpotato1092
11-30-2010, 06:09 PM
The perfect answer to this question was in Bill Simmons' mailbag following The Decision so I'll just copy and paste it here:

"If I'm Cavs owner Dan Gilbert I immediately look at the schedule for when the Heat come to town the first time. I then arrange a ceremony where they retire jersey #23. Even have LeBron help raise it into the rafters. Do it up right and honor the accomplishments. I'd have an emotional speech put together honoring all the ups and downs that they've seen; bring up all the heartbreaks and near misses in the playoffs and regular season.

The name on the back of the jersey? Jordan."

Cosmic_Canon
11-30-2010, 06:18 PM
He only started his career and finished it with the same team, without leaving in the meantime on some nationally publicized "Decision show" meant to do nothing but embarrass that city the helped build up. Marino also set about every QB record along the way.

What has Lebron really done besides pump some money into the Cleveland economy for 7 years, only to leave and put the Cleveland economy right back where it was before?

off the top of my head:
RoY
Perinatal All Star and All NBA player
Best player in franchise history
led him to 60 win seasons
beat the Pistons in the ECF, had an epic game 5, and caused the city to be in ecstasy .
Accomplished all of these feats in 7 years. Add to that, one of the few players in his age bracket, that you can say"if his career ended today, he'd be a HoF'er"". I could understand if you don't like him(me, I'm indifferent to him), but to say Bron did nothing for the Cavs, is quite crazy if you ask me.

D Roses Bulls
11-30-2010, 06:18 PM
The perfect answer to this question was in Bill Simmons' mailbag following The Decision so I'll just copy and paste it here:

"If I'm Cavs owner Dan Gilbert I immediately look at the schedule for when the Heat come to town the first time. I then arrange a ceremony where they retire jersey #23. Even have LeBron help raise it into the rafters. Do it up right and honor the accomplishments. I'd have an emotional speech put together honoring all the ups and downs that they've seen; bring up all the heartbreaks and near misses in the playoffs and regular season.

The name on the back of the jersey? Jordan."

I remember this...... this is how you do it

Sadds The Gr8
11-30-2010, 06:20 PM
obviously they should cuz he's the best player ever in the franchise and he's the reason they were relevant...but they prolly won't. And i'm guessing most ppl here will say no cuz of the Lebron hate

pd1dish
11-30-2010, 06:20 PM
hahahaha....good luck lebron

Bigbadmoffo
11-30-2010, 06:22 PM

This

MrfadeawayJB
11-30-2010, 06:25 PM
They may retire it by not allowing anyone else to wear #23 in cleveland...so it won't remind them of the misery they went through

FairWeatherFan?
11-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Just to clear up a post from page one, Boobie Gibson is what got us to the finals in 07.

As a Cavs fan, #6 does deserve to have his jersey retired, after Z, but it will only happen when Gilbert is not the owner...and I can not hold anything against Gilbert for that.

Pierzynski4Prez
11-30-2010, 06:37 PM
off the top of my head:
RoY
beat the Pistons in the ECF, had an epic game 5, and caused the city to be in ecstasy .
Accomplished all of these feats in 7 years. Add to that, one of the few players in his age bracket, that you can say"if his career ended today, he'd be a HoF'er"". I could understand if you don't like him(me, I'm indifferent to him), but to say Bron did nothing for the Cavs, is quite crazy if you ask me.

You tell me, which of the feats above warrant getting your jersey retired? Even after he left the way he did, breaking promises he made to the city.

I can't seem to find 1. If we start allowing guys into the HOF based purely on what they did for a city (even if only over 7 years), hell start the voting for Danny Granger, Brandon Roy, Joe Johnson, etc. It just diminishes the value of the HOF.

Dan Marino when he retired was the all time leader in every relevant QB category. Had lebron left cleveland being the all time leading scorer or having at least a few relavant records, then sure. But all he has is what you listed above, which does nothing but deserve a round of applause.

29$JerZ
11-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Doubt it happens
The way he left wasn't exactly graceful/

dynasty7961
11-30-2010, 06:42 PM
The only was the 23 will ever be in the rafters there is if Jordan's number gets retired league wide.

Minimal
11-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Just to clear up a post from page one, Boobie Gibson is what got us to the finals in 07.

As a Cavs fan, #6 does deserve to have his jersey retired, after Z, but it will only happen when Gilbert is not the owner...and I can not hold anything against Gilbert for that.
Really?

In the Eastern Conference Finals, James led the Cavaliers from an 0–2 deficit against the Detroit Pistons to win the series in six games. His performance in Game 5 was especially memorable. James recorded a franchise-record 48 points on 54.5% field goal shooting, to go with 9 rebounds and 7 assists. In addition, James scored 29 of Cleveland's last 30 points, including the team's final 25 points in a double-overtime victory. He concluded the night with a game-winning lay-up with 2 seconds left. NBA analyst Marv Albert referred to James' performance as "one of the greatest moments in postseason history," while color commentator Steve Kerr called it "Jordan-esque.

avrpatsfan
11-30-2010, 06:49 PM
He's the best player the franchise will ever see but he won't have his number retired after what he did.

Lebron101
11-30-2010, 06:50 PM
The cavaliers need to retire his jersey!!!!!!!! they will never have such a great player again

Cosmic_Canon
11-30-2010, 06:50 PM
You tell me, which of the feats above warrant getting your jersey retired? Even after he left the way he did, breaking promises he made to the city.

To answer your question, future HoF'er and best player in Cavs history. With that said, it's obvious that we won't find common ground on this, so I'll agree to disagree. However, it's nice to see that most of this thread wasn't filled with lame Bron(Delonte, quitness, etc) bashing, and that most made valid points w/o flaming.

godolphins
11-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Because of the Cavs owner

Hoopsadvocate
11-30-2010, 06:52 PM

lets see. Brought them tons of money probably more recognition and profit than at any other point in their teams history. Hes there all time leading scorer only player to win an mvp award from the franchcise along with the many other accolaids. He pretty much made them relevant. I sometimes forgot they were even a team before lebron came in and for all we know if that kept up it could have been sold and moved somewhere else like what happened to the sonic.

He'll go down as the best player theve ever have. thats what he did. And a bucnh of other players have had their jerseys retired for much less by other franchises.

dannybfast24
11-30-2010, 06:55 PM
They might, I mean we are still retiring Favre's number and look how he screwed us over.

how did farve screw over the packers, he still wanted to play an they wanted to replace him. if i was him id want to shove it up the packers *** an break it off

jmtapia
11-30-2010, 06:57 PM
It should but im not sure if egos will allow that to happen.

tcav701
11-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Won't happen.

All the good he did for the team doesn't change the fact that he embarassed the franchise on national tv and went back on his promise to bring a title to Cleveland.

zambo4president
11-30-2010, 07:01 PM
No way. He said **** you to that organazation, why would they pay him the respects of retiring his number?

smith&wesson
11-30-2010, 07:21 PM
He took them to the finals once in 7 years, i dont see how thats enough to have his jersey retired in clevland. plus the fans hate him why would they want to tribute anything to him there.
maybe eventually in miami.

TopsyTurvy
11-30-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm sure his jersey should be retired in Cleveland, but I doubt it ever will.

Skippy15
11-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Doesnt deserve it. One finals apperance in 7 years isnt enough. MVP awards and accomplishments dont get your number unless you have at least 1 title.

OG "Dee" LOCc
11-30-2010, 07:52 PM
capital lol

RayRay
11-30-2010, 07:53 PM
The **** is wrong with him? his ego has gotten out of control.

Bos_Sports4Life
11-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Well, you could go either way i guess, i say no though, But not becaus he didnt win a title, thats an awful reason not to retire a #, if that was the rule, the redsox wouldn't of retired Ted Williams # (which is obviously just stupid) The reason i wouldn't do it is bc i don't think 7 yrs is quite enough time, for the standards id set personally. I honestly think a guy should have atleast a decade on a team. and for that decade to be in the players prime years

Raph12
11-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Should they? Definitely... Will they? Nope.

JayW_1023
11-30-2010, 08:03 PM
retired...then BURNED.

Kidd>>>K-Mart
11-30-2010, 08:04 PM
It wont happen as long as Dan Gilbert is the owner.

Blazers#1Fan
11-30-2010, 08:06 PM
will orlando retire shaq number if you say no then i say no to lebron.....lebron did nothing for cleveland but screwed em over unless he go's back and wins them a championship then no

elizur
11-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Yes, They will for sure. Obiously, not in the next few years ,but of coarse. He was so good.

The L Train
11-30-2010, 08:12 PM

Wow, totally different. Favre delivered a championship for one thing. He never quit on you guys in a big games either. Say what you want about Favre, but you know he's a guy who always gave his all. And he damn sure didn't go on national tv and disrespect your team either.

I could go on and on, to me there's just not really a comparison between these two guys and the way they left their teams.

I don't think they should retire Lebron's number, but they probably will one day years from now.

LegendX
11-30-2010, 08:21 PM
What has he done to warrant having his number retired?

RaiderBeNasty
11-30-2010, 08:23 PM
If he goes back and retires their then yes.

This

nightBULL
11-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Retiring his jersey would be the equivelent to retiring Iverson's jersey in Philly after his first 7 seasons.

el_primo_nano
11-30-2010, 08:36 PM
What has he done to warrant having his number retired?

exactly. Now if they retire his number, they should retire Big Z's, cause he's done just as much as Lebron has..

Melo4Mvp
11-30-2010, 09:01 PM

My thoughts exactly lol. I mean, he was the best Cavalier in history and took a struggling franchise to a new level. I think that they should and eventualy will retire his jersey.

RenegadeRiot36
11-30-2010, 09:09 PM
As long as Dan Gilbert is alive and breathing somewhere in this world, it will not happen. Should it happen, no.

Jaji
11-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Absolutely. He was the best player in franchise history. You can't just erase him from the books. He's their all time leading scorer and led them farther in the playoffs than they'd ever been.

m26555
11-30-2010, 09:29 PM
No. Why the hell should they? I mean, it's not like he was there THAT long. He spent seven years there and then embarrassed the entire city on national television.

Jaji
11-30-2010, 09:31 PM
will orlando retire shaq number if you say no then i say no to lebron.....lebron did nothing for cleveland but screwed em over unless he go's back and wins them a championship then no

Shaq was only in Orlando 4 years. LeBron spent nearly twice as much time in Cleveland. He's their all time leading scorer. Dwight Howard has done more for Orlando than Shaq did.

The L Train
11-30-2010, 09:42 PM
My thoughts exactly lol. I mean, he was the best Cavalier in history and took a struggling franchise to a new level. I think that they should and eventualy will retire his jersey.

I just totally disagree with you guys. Being the best player in franchise history really isnt saying that much in Cleveland. Who's the second best player in their history?

Also, his personal stats were better than any other player for them, but it's a team game and he didn't do enough to win. Plus, many people, including their owner, believe that he quit during the playoffs, during the biggest games of the franchises history. That cost them a shot at a championship, and that alone should be enough to say no way they retire his number.

tjlipford
11-30-2010, 10:02 PM
He did give us are best time as a basketball organization while he played here, but no I don't think he will have his jersey retired here. Just on the way he left and everything that took place over the summer I just don't see his jersey getting retired here. Maybe in Miami or wherever else he might play he might get his jersey retired, but not in Cleveland

albertc86
11-30-2010, 10:03 PM
LeBron didn't win anything in Cleveland and he went on television to ditch them. yeah, they'll retire his jersey.

Ray_R
11-30-2010, 10:14 PM
If he doesnt win anything in miami I think they will.

*Superman*
11-30-2010, 10:19 PM
No.

effen5
12-01-2010, 12:47 AM
Craig ehlo > Lebron
Mark Price > Lebron
Steve Kerr > Leron

lolwut

MJ-BULLS
12-01-2010, 12:48 AM
no way Cleveland retires Lebron's number.

ko8e24
12-01-2010, 12:51 AM
7 yrs, 2 league mvps, 2 all-star game mvps, 1 nba finals appearance, 1 scoring title, rookie of the year award, 1 olympic gold medal in 2008, 1 olympic bronze medal in 2004.

Uhhh, ya, he deserves to because he's the best player in franchise history. I mean whoz better than him?? Shawn fattbutt Kemp??? Bob Sura???? Big Z ???? Mo Williams???

Wellll...maybe Delonte ;)

Jaji
12-01-2010, 01:06 AM
I just totally disagree with you guys. Being the best player in franchise history really isnt saying that much in Cleveland. Who's the second best player in their history?

Also, his personal stats were better than any other player for them, but it's a team game and he didn't do enough to win. Plus, many people, including their owner, believe that he quit during the playoffs, during the biggest games of the franchises history. That cost them a shot at a championship, and that alone should be enough to say no way they retire his number.

Who's their 2nd best player? Probably Mark Price. And his number is retired :shrug:.

Anyways, not only is he the franchise's all time leading scorer, he led them farther in the playoffs than they'd ever been so what do you mean he didn't win enough? By your backwards logic no one should have their number retired. Ever. What more do you have to do besides be the best player in franchise history???

The owner says he quit... :rolleyes:. Then why'd he offer him a max contract? Why did he lose his mind once LeBron left? I mean the man literally went insane. When you think Cleveland Cavaliers you think LeBron James. To omit the only HOF player in team history from your team record books simply because you're mad at him is a bit extreme. He played out his contract then signed a new one. What's the problem?

SensandRaps
12-01-2010, 01:19 AM
20 maybe 30 years down the road there is a small chance then

Hangtime
12-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Of course they should. He has had the greatest impact of any player in that francise history. Cleveland will certainly move on from "The Decision" by the time he leaves the game. Life goes on. You honor the man for the time he was there. He made them relevant. Many superstars have left on bad terms but you can't change their contribution.

Melo4Mvp
12-01-2010, 01:51 AM

LeBron did do enough to win, it was the piece of **** roster he had around him that didn't. He gave his all to that franchise and took them deeper in the playoffs than they had ever gone before. Also as far as him quitting in game 6, he put up 29-20 and double digit assists, Id like to see what he could do if he didn't "quit":rolleyes:. And their owner is just bitter, he needs to get over it already.

Kyben36
12-01-2010, 02:05 AM
No I dont think so, he didnt do anything there to warrant it in my opinion.

JordansBulls
12-01-2010, 01:27 PM
7 yrs, 2 league mvps, 2 all-star game mvps, 1 nba finals appearance, 1 scoring title, rookie of the year award, 1 olympic gold medal in 2008, 1 olympic bronze medal in 2004.

Uhhh, ya, he deserves to because he's the best player in franchise history. I mean whoz better than him?? Shawn fattbutt Kemp??? Bob Sura???? Big Z ???? Mo Williams???

Wellll...maybe Delonte ;)

Kemp only played 3 years there. Kemp is known as a Sonic.

Only guys who are close are Price and Daugherty and they played together.

mlisica19
12-01-2010, 01:29 PM
You can hope all you want Lebron but lets face it. You really did nothing during your short stint with your home team.

I get it, you wanted to go on your path. You thought leaving the Cavs was the best thing for you because you wanted a better chance at winning a ring. Yet how selfish was that, how selfish was it to do it in the manner you did for. You are 26? And you felt your time and patience was done with in Clevland? Jordan (who i will continue to use as a guide) waited the same time as you did and waited until he was 28 to finally get everything he wanted. ONE RING. Then he got more than he could ever dream of. Lebron you left that respect behind you in Clevland, you went to a team a day after your two best friends decided they would go to Miami, the same friends who happen 2 be superstars in the world. You threw your hardwork and efforts whatever you had of those, out the window on your trip to Miami.

There is no way, one final appearance and a few top seeds during 6 years in the Cavs make up for going on ESPN and stating you would leave without talking to your owner first who is completely angry at your actions. Fine, you wanna leave GO AHEAD. But to go to a team for a better chance at a title, now look the Cavs look more motivated and more focused then ever.

You rely to much on your game, and one day you will realize your skills will only take you so far.

Pat Reily wont save you our your team. A team cannot be lead by immature young superstars, it must be led by fire and passion and determination.

A good coach who cares about the team and is playing the strict guy is pissing you off? cuz hes not letting you have fun? get over it. A good coach will be fired soon and its all becaue of the players who are immature.

Reily will step in or hire a new coach, either way the immaturity will continue due to Lebron James. They might deal with a higher seed by the end of the season but come playoff time. They will have to get through a lot of tough teams, until they go up against Boston.

ink
12-01-2010, 01:30 PM
I don't see any reason why they would.

mlisica19
12-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Do not get me wrong, fun is important and a key factor in sports.

But theres a differ in between having fun and goofing off.

Going out b4 a game with well prepared celebration, hnaging with friends prior to a game, laughing and joking and chatting away during a game with your friends or teammates.

Gooffing

Fun... Dunking it on another team, making a good play, winning a game. THATS FUN
THATS PROPER FUN AND ENJOYMENT FOR ME!

I laugh and joke in the locker room, but not until im well aware of who were facing, what i have to do and what everyone has to do on my team. Unless im fully prepared i wont be cracking a smile.

Winners win and enjoy the good memories
Dreamers die dreamers, and think about what could have happened even if they have billions of dollars

ElMarroAfamado
12-01-2010, 02:46 PM
why does he always say "myself" ALWAYS instead of me?

The L Train
12-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Who's their 2nd best player? Probably Mark Price. And his number is retired :shrug:.

Anyways, not only is he the franchise's all time leading scorer, he led them farther in the playoffs than they'd ever been so what do you mean he didn't win enough? By your backwards logic no one should have their number retired. Ever. What more do you have to do besides be the best player in franchise history???

The owner says he quit... :rolleyes:. Then why'd he offer him a max contract? Why did he lose his mind once LeBron left? I mean the man literally went insane. When you think Cleveland Cavaliers you think LeBron James. To omit the only HOF player in team history from your team record books simply because you're mad at him is a bit extreme. He played out his contract then signed a new one. What's the problem?

Ok, did Mark Price prevent the Cavs from getting better after he left by keeping them in the dark until the last possible second?

You have to realize, the franchise will take into consideration both the positive AND negative contributions of players. If you think of it that way, than Mark Price is the greatest Cavalier ever, because he didn't hurt them nearly as much as Lebron did, and he won the same amount of rings for them as Lebron.

Look what Shaq did in Miami. Went down there and promised the fans a title, won it that year, and then they all turned on him and accused him of faking an injury the next year.

Do you think Miami will retire Shaq's number? No, and he won a championship for them. But he talked a lot of mess about the franchise and a lot of people think he quit on the team. So even winning a ring gets balanced out by negative stuff.

You just don't retire a guy's jersey because he's a great individual player. Guys go to the hall of fame for great individual accomplishments. The franchise should honor guys who helped the franchise, not guys who simply racked up personal numbers.

The L Train
12-01-2010, 04:02 PM
LeBron did do enough to win, it was the piece of **** roster he had around him that didn't. He gave his all to that franchise and took them deeper in the playoffs than they had ever gone before. Also as far as him quitting in game 6, he put up 29-20 and double digit assists, Id like to see what he could do if he didn't "quit":rolleyes:. And their owner is just bitter, he needs to get over it already.

The Cavs were the best team in the league for like 3 years in a row I believe. They were at least the top seed in the east for 2 or 3 years. I know you'll say it was all because of Lebron, but if that's the case, why isn't Miami the top seed? The Cavs were a very good team whether anyone wants to admit that or not.

Having said that, there was really only one player on that team who could have changed the outcome of the Boston series, and that was Lebron. If he had done what he was supposed to do they probably would have won it all. Trust me, it's not just me and Dan Gilbert who believe Lebron quit on the team.

Lebron either quit or he just simply wasn't good enough in the pressure moments. Is there really anyone left who would say with a straight face that Lebron is a clutch player who thrives under pressure?

One of two things is true:

1. Lebron quit on the Cavs during the biggest games in franchise history

2. Lebron was trying his hardest to win and just wasn't good enough to get it done when it matters

So he's either a quitter or just not clutch. Either way, he should not have his number retired.

Moochman4life
12-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Jason Whitlock called Lebron a lost cause.....60-something percent of Sportsnation just agreed....lol, on Sportsnation. :)

daleja424
12-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Lebron James shares or holds 49 Cavs records... he is by far the greatest player to ever wear a Cavs jersey....

at some point people will need to remember the 7 amazing years he gave them...and forget about the one bad month...

daleja424
12-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Ok, did Mark Price prevent the Cavs from getting better after he left by keeping them in the dark until the last possible second?

You have to realize, the franchise will take into consideration both the positive AND negative contributions of players. If you think of it that way, than Mark Price is the greatest Cavalier ever, because he didn't hurt them nearly as much as Lebron did, and he won the same amount of rings for them as Lebron.

Look what Shaq did in Miami. Went down there and promised the fans a title, won it that year, and then they all turned on him and accused him of faking an injury the next year.

Do you think Miami will retire Shaq's number? No, and he won a championship for them. But he talked a lot of mess about the franchise and a lot of people think he quit on the team. So even winning a ring gets balanced out by negative stuff.

You just don't retire a guy's jersey because he's a great individual player. Guys go to the hall of fame for great individual accomplishments. The franchise should honor guys who helped the franchise, not guys who simply racked up personal numbers.

Marc Price didnt hurt the team as much when he left because he wasnt nearly as good of a player. The Cavs are in trouble b/c lebron left... period. They lost half of their offense and most of their swagger when he left.

Lebron is BY FAR the greatest Cav ever....

Using Shaq as an example is TERRILE. Shaq came to Miami a shell of his former self. He put in a couple average years and then whined for a year...

abe_froman
12-01-2010, 05:49 PM
of course they will,thats kind of a dumb question to ask.the bolting hurt sure and it will be be a long time after the scars heal a bit..but at the end of the day he still was the best and most important player in franchise history

prodigy
12-01-2010, 06:11 PM
The guy disrespected the franchise, team and fans. Why would his number be retired? really is no reason. What he did on the court does not make up for the crap he pulled off the court.

BTW- Reports are Dan Gilbert has proof the heat tampered including witnesses close to Lebron and Pat Riley. Not that i care anymore, But would be funny to see the heat get nailed.

THE MTL
12-01-2010, 06:18 PM
I can see Lebron going back to Cleveland for some reason. He is the best player to ever wear the Cavs jersey....and he has the majority of their records. They should retire his jersey.

Put in this way, should another Cavalier really wear #23? I dont think so.

JordansBulls
12-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Lebron James shares or holds 49 Cavs records... he is by far the greatest player to ever wear a Cavs jersey....

at some point people will need to remember the 7 amazing years he gave them...and forget about the one bad month...

So it would probably be when he retires. For instance, do you think Orlando will ever retire Shaq's jersey?

daleja424
12-03-2010, 12:40 PM
So it would probably be when he retires. For instance, do you think Orlando will ever retire Shaq's jersey?

maybe, maybe not...

Shaq is a different story though. Shaq only played his rookie deal in Orlando and then he bolted. In a little under 4 years time, Shaq didn't make the kind of impact on the Magic franchise that Lebron did over 7 full years and two contracts.

Draco
12-03-2010, 12:49 PM

I can see Cavs fans talking amongst themselves... "This ain't one body's story. It's the story of us all. We got it mouth-to-mouth. You got to listen it and 'member. 'Cause what you hears today you got to tell the birthed tomorrow."

TO to the CHI
12-03-2010, 12:50 PM
off the top of my head:
RoY

I know LeBron was a prodigy, but a perinatal all star????? I had no idea he got that good that young. Wow!

beasted86
12-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Brad Daugherty played 8 seasons and had his jersey retired. LeBron will for sure have his jersey retired someday. This guy owns so many records of the franchise.

Probably when Dan Gilbert no longer owns the team, and it will probably take longer than it should... but it will eventually happen.

beasted86
12-03-2010, 12:53 PM
i know lebron was a prodigy, but a perinatal all star????? I had no idea he got that good that young. Wow!

:D :clap:

Team*Chicago
12-03-2010, 01:03 PM
I don't think they will ever hang LeBron's jersey after they took his picture off the stadium, burned his jersey, chanting Scottie Pippen(the greatest SF ever), booed him way too much and was humiliated by him on national tv. That town has to much hate for Lebron and LeBron deserves it after he had his 1 hour special on ESPN of humiliating that whole town and possibly the state.

todu82
12-03-2010, 01:04 PM
In the way and the matter he left that team, no they should not retire his jersey.

farren.louis
12-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Lmao is this really a question!!! OF COURSE THEY WILL!!!!!!! i dnt like le'bron but i know they will retire his jersey

Antipod
12-03-2010, 01:44 PM
NO way ... i`d rather retire Big Z`s jersey then LeQueens` !

cle12152433
12-03-2010, 01:50 PM
I would say there would be a greater chance this would happen if he comes back as a player eventually (and I remain optimistic he will). It would be a great story, especially for someone who loves their ego as much as him.

Regardless, I think it will either way. The gay was a R.O.Y, 2X MVP, has the potential to go into the Hall as a Cavalier. This cannot be ignored nor forgotten.

This was a venting game for Cavs fans. It wont be like this in March. A few years down the line, yea some people will show up and boo him, but the town wont get together asd one like they did this time.

superabound
12-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Don't you have to accomplish something with a franchise before they retire your number? LeBron ditched that team well before he did anything worthy of getting his number retired. I always hate when franchises go back and start retiring numbers for players who simply played for their team at a stop in their career just because their number is retired someplace else. Stupid.

daleja424
12-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Don't you have to accomplish something with a franchise before they retire your number? LeBron ditched that team well before he did anything worthy of getting his number retired. I always hate when franchises go back and start retiring numbers for players who simply played for their team at a stop in their career just because their number is retired someplace else. Stupid.

how many championships do the Cavs have in their history? Thats right... zero

How many times have they made it to the Finals? ONCE (Under Lebron)

The Cavs have retired SIX numbers...and none of those guys even got the Cavs a conference championship. Lebron did more for Cavs basketball in 7 years than any other player in Cavs hisory.

In 40 years in the league... the Cavs have had 7 seasons with above .600 records... and 4 of them were in the last 7 years courtesy of Lebron.

And those are team accomplishments.

On a personal level, lebron has 49 team records, and was a 6 time all star and 2 time mvp while in a cavs jersey.

Vincent33
12-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Maybe, but I would think that the Cavs would not issue out his # again a la Boston Red Sox not issuing out Clemens' #21. After all, James is the Cavs' greatest player in franchise history, just as Clemens was one of Boston's best pitchers. Even though things ended badly in both cases between the player and the fans, the organizations could still show some respect for what they accomplished while playing there, just as Boston had done by not giving out Clemens' jersey # since he left.

daleja424
12-03-2010, 02:14 PM
It would be petty and foolish of cleveland to try to erase the best thing that has ever happened to Cleveland basketball. For SEVEN years Lebron was their king. Lebron was the chosen one. Lebron was the son of Akron. Lebron was the savior. All of Cleveland were witnessing greatness.

lmao that one hour long tv show and a childish letter from Dan Gilbert could erase that.

And let me say this... I already here Cavs fans talking about Lebron coming back.

Giraffes Rule
12-03-2010, 02:50 PM
As long as Dan Gilbert owns the Cavs, I don't think they will retire his jersey. I think they should retire his jersey though. He's the all time leader in points, 2nd in assists, and 4th in rebounds for the Cavs. All done in only 7 years! He's the best player they ever had, and though I hate what he did to that city I think they will still look back on what he did for their team.

JordansBulls
12-04-2010, 02:57 PM
NO way ... i`d rather retire Big Z`s jersey then LeQueens` !

Big Z's??? Is this serious?

ink
12-04-2010, 03:16 PM
It would be petty and foolish of cleveland to try to erase the best thing that has ever happened to Cleveland basketball. For SEVEN years Lebron was their king. Lebron was the chosen one. Lebron was the son of Akron. Lebron was the savior. All of Cleveland were witnessing greatness.

lmao that one hour long tv show and a childish letter from Dan Gilbert could erase that.

And let me say this... I already here Cavs fans talking about Lebron coming back.

But players don't get their jerseys honoured when they've dishonoured the city. It's about deserving the honour as a person, not just as a statistical machine. Obviously no one questions the stats, they question the character. Character matters when honours are being bestowed on you.

..wiLL..
12-04-2010, 03:29 PM
i think they'll retire big Z's though! :D as far as LBJ i dont think it'll ever happen, he dissed them like crazy on "the decision" like he was a political figure or something, not to mention the way he was talking **** to the whole team during the game and making a laughing stock out of their bench when the heat were up by 20 :facepalm:

homestarunner93
12-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Sure, Cleveland should retire 23...for Michael Jordan, as should the rest of the league. LeBron didn't win them a championship like he promised, then he bolted.

hugepatsfan
12-04-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't think they will ever hang LeBron's jersey after they took his picture off the stadium, burned his jersey, chanting Scottie Pippen(the greatest SF ever), booed him way too much and was humiliated by him on national tv. That town has to much hate for Lebron and LeBron deserves it after he had his 1 hour special on ESPN of humiliating that whole town and possibly the state.

Excuse me...

Let me guess - you think Rose is the best PG in the NBA and Noah is on par w/ Howard.

DCsports
12-04-2010, 03:56 PM

Not every player who had his number retired has won a championship. I just don't see how you don't retire the number of the greatest player your team has ever had.

ink
12-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Not every player who had his number retired has won a championship. I just don't see how you don't retire the number of the greatest player your team has ever had.

Because it's an honour. You don't honour someone who has dishonoured you. Pretty simple. Let's get real: they're investigating collusion regarding Lebron. Do you think they're going to honour the guy while they're investigating him? lol. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm saying it's extremely unlikely.

metsgiants5710
12-04-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm a little mixed on this. I think eventually down the line they will retire his jersey just because he was one of the greatest players to ever wear a Cavs jersey but it's going to be hard because of the fashion he left the team in. Maybe they will but not for a long, long time.

of course right after art modell receives a key to the city.

Joker117
12-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Im mixed

I say eventually they should they could use it n his play earned it

2 problems? he left mid career ( he has time left not like garnett when he left minn)

and he's been soo back n forth disrespectful / no i love them to cleveland I understand either way

but no matter what he's going down in history for them n the heat

Joker117
12-04-2010, 07:02 PM
also if he left in a better way this would sound like a good story.. he left by choice n made it a mockery n never once said sorry in that hour interview

I know ppl still thing hes so nice..n the charity ..but honestly look at him he knew what he was doin when he left

if he went ok my answer is this.. I am going to be leaving the cavaliers unfortunately , i never wanted to and I am very sorry to part ways with such great fans and such a great organization but I feel I have a better shot in miami and would like to play with my friends there

.. ppl wouldnt still feel so sick about what he did and to never mention them shows he wasnt thinkn bout them

.. n he mocked them all game?! r u kidding me .. n now u want your jersey retired..

thatd be like reggie miller asking the knicks to retire his jersey if he played his 1st year with us.. n honestly he would have a better shot lol .. we hated him bc of talent n it was a hate respect relationship with him...

lebron just was a d!ck ..

numba1CHANGsta
12-04-2010, 07:25 PM
yes they should retire his number, LBJ was the best thing to happen to that team and city since the dawn of day

NYYCowboys
12-04-2010, 07:32 PM
No way. It would be like if the US put Benedict Arnold on our currency because before he stabbed us in the back he was a great military man for us.

Draco
12-04-2010, 07:33 PM
LeBron Hopes Cavs will continue to add more greatness for himself.

ink
12-04-2010, 08:04 PM
LeBron Hopes Cavs will continue to add more greatness for himself.

:win:

That is my favourite Lebron quote ever.

BigAl25
12-05-2010, 04:23 AM
They have to, Lebron changed that organizatioon.

Rochesta
12-05-2010, 04:44 AM
retiring jerseys shouldn't be about stats so much as it is about community. Lebron plainly did not earn that level of respect from the Cleveland community. He's an immature idiot.

number1nykfan25
12-05-2010, 12:40 PM
it would be interesting to see latter in his career if he came back if cavs fans would forgive him or still hate him. Is it the owners decision to retire jerseys? because if so I dont think Gilbert would ever do it and if the fans hate him so much now why retire his number. Only if they forgive him one day they should retire his number.

millerandco
12-05-2010, 01:01 PM
definitely not