PDA

View Full Version : Are OJ Mayo and James Harden basically the same player?

DitchDat
11-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Thoughts

Blazers#1Fan
11-30-2010, 06:52 AM
no mayo is better!

i would like mayo on my team more then harden but i would take either on the blazers....wish theyd make a trade for mayo

alencp3
11-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Harden is better hard worker and defender
Mayo has more potential and athleticism

bbcmillionaire
11-30-2010, 07:16 AM
How can I say this without getting thunder fans riled up? Hmmm, O.J. mayo has to take that other step(like rudy gay) to become allstar material. While James Harden has to take 2 steps. Hardens game is more defensive oriented. While O.J Mayo game is more complete.
I'd take Mayo over Harden in a heart beat, because it seems like until Harden develops his jump-shot, he's just a good role player. Hate to say it but O.J. Mayo reminds me of a young Kobe, REALLY YOUNG. His ceiling is higher, IMO.

Cavs_Fan24
11-30-2010, 07:56 AM
^OJ Mayo reminds me of a younger Ray Allen. Ever since he entered the NBA mayo has turned into a pretty deadly shooter.

Furymaker
11-30-2010, 08:49 AM
No way :mad: OJ Mayo is far better than Harden .

Hawkeye15
11-30-2010, 09:23 AM
they have both been underwhelming this year, for sure. Mayo is having a pretty bad year, and can't hit the broad side of a barn. To make matters worse, 9 of 10 of his attempts are long 2's, meaning he isn't getting to the line at all, to help his scoring efficiency. Mayo may be the odd man out in Memphis come contract time (Its either him or Gasol that has to go).
Harden came into a situation where he went to immediate role player, only asked to create when guys miss time with injury.
I think Mayo has more potential, he has a slightly better skillset. But in reality, these are two high lottery picks not living up to expecatations.

and to those comparing Mayo to Kobe or Ray Allen, are you serious? Mayo has regressed every season, and has now turned into a shooter who can't shoot. That isn't a good thing.

Carey
11-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Mayo is a more explosive talent, more consistent shooter, i think Harden is a better defensively, getting to the rim and a better complimentary player while OJ has more star potential. With all that said i think Mayo is the better more productive player at this point

John Walls Era
11-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Mayo is better.

xbrackattackx
11-30-2010, 10:38 AM
I think Harden is a beast. I like Mayo also though.

bbcmillionaire
11-30-2010, 10:57 AM
they have both been underwhelming this year, for sure. Mayo is having a pretty bad year, and can't hit the broad side of a barn. To make matters worse, 9 of 10 of his attempts are long 2's, meaning he isn't getting to the line at all, to help his scoring efficiency. Mayo may be the odd man out in Memphis come contract time (Its either him or Gasol that has to go).
Harden came into a situation where he went to immediate role player, only asked to create when guys miss time with injury.
I think Mayo has more potential, he has a slightly better skillset. But in reality, these are two high lottery picks not living up to expecatations.

and to those comparing Mayo to Kobe or Ray Allen, are you serious? Mayo has regressed every season, and has now turned into a shooter who can't shoot. That isn't a good thing.

exactly why i said REALLY YOUNG Kobe, think 2nd season kobe, will he ever reach that level of greatness?? probably not, but hes good nonetheless

Caps1989
11-30-2010, 11:01 AM
I dont know. Does Cortland Finnegan and Delonte West look too similar to not be related?

http://www.blogcdn.com/nba.fanhouse.com/media/2008/11/delonte-west-180bkn-112608.jpg
http://www.iill.net/wp-content/uploads/images/cortland-finnegan.jpg

anyway a little off topic but yes, they are the same player due to Mayo's ability to warp time and space to play as Harden.

rhymeratic
11-30-2010, 11:01 AM
I think OKC missed the boat on drafting Harden....

Harden to me is like a solid role player.

Mayo to me is over-rated and really just a solid starter, nothing spectacular. Undersized, don't see anything resembling Kobe in his game. He'll never sniff an all-star game.

Hawkeye15
11-30-2010, 11:02 AM
exactly why i said REALLY YOUNG Kobe, think 2nd season kobe, will he ever reach that level of greatness?? probably not, but hes good nonetheless

they aren't comparable in the slightest is what I am saying. And Mayo was older his rookie season than Kobe was his 2nd year.
Mayo has shown no improvement in his short NBA tenure. I really think everyone needs to stop hyping him up.

Hawkeye15
11-30-2010, 11:03 AM
I think OKC missed the boat on drafting Harden....

Harden to me is like a solid role player.

Mayo to me is over-rated and really just a solid starter, nothing spectacular. Undersized, don't see anything resembling Kobe in his game. He'll never sniff an all-star game.

I don't even think Mayo starts anymore...

ttam68
11-30-2010, 11:07 AM
I thought they were opposites:

Mayo is a guy who can put up quick points, not always efficiently
Harden is a defensive, low volume role player

And both have been terrible of late, Kobe and Ray Ray? Really?

Meaze_Gibson
11-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Nah alot of people have been off at beginning of year. Mayo is who he is. He's gon shoot 3's at a 38 to 40% clip and play solid defense. He got the handle to get his shot off anytime but can't incorporate anybody else yet. Somewhere in between Ray allen or Jamal Crawford is his closest.

harden doesn't quite have the handle OJ has and is not as physical on d yet. But Harden is still young and that can change. He's more of a spot up whereas Oj is a scorer. Both are legit starters in my book tho

Hawkeye15
11-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Nah alot of people have been off at beginning of year. Mayo is who he is. He's gon shoot 3's at a 38 to 40% clip and play solid defense. He got the handle to get his shot off anytime but can't incorporate anybody else yet. Somewhere in between Ray allen or Jamal Crawford is his closest.

harden doesn't quite have the handle OJ has and is not as physical on d yet. But Harden is still young and that can change. He's more of a spot up whereas Oj is a scorer. Both are legit starters in my book tho

but here is the problem with Mayo, and guys, I am not bashing him here, just trying to point out how disappointing he has been compared to those drafted around him.
If Mayo has handles, why are 89% of his attempts long 2's? Why, if he can't buy a jumper, doesn't he use that athletic ability to get to the rim, get some free throws, and become more efficient? His PER is barely 11. The league average is 15. There is no way on earth he is anything close to Ray Allen. And he doesn't attack enough to be Crawford.

Like I said when he entered the league, Mayo's ceiling, to me, is Ben Gordon.

jeter4president
11-30-2010, 12:55 PM
No. Mayo is good, harden is average.

Meaze_Gibson
11-30-2010, 12:58 PM
but here is the problem with Mayo, and guys, I am not bashing him here, just trying to point out how disappointing he has been compared to those drafted around him.
If Mayo has handles, why are 89% of his attempts long 2's? Why, if he can't buy a jumper, doesn't he use that athletic ability to get to the rim, get some free throws, and become more efficient? His PER is barely 11. The league average is 15. There is no way on earth he is anything close to Ray Allen. And he doesn't attack enough to be Crawford.

But he hits em around the same clip as Granger, Durant, and Rich Hamilton. Lemme ask a question. Do you remember Ray Allen's first two years in the league? Because Mayo, low key, is on pace to become one of top 3 point shooters of all time if he continues this path all this without the legit coaching of carl and vet savvy of cassell.

Hawkeye15
11-30-2010, 01:03 PM
But he hits em around the same clip as Granger, Durant, and Rich Hamilton. Lemme ask a question. Do you remember Ray Allen's first two years in the league? Because Mayo, low key, is on pace to become one of top 3 point shooters of all time if he continues this path all this without the legit coaching of carl and vet savvy of cassell.

so the #3 pick, and most hyped high school player since LeBron, and 1st team all rookie, will become a sniper? So? Don't you want more out of a top 3 pick?

and Ray Allen was far better by year 3 than OJ Mayo is. Its not even close man.

Mayo is what, 23? I am not writing the kids career off. But he is entering a trend that doesn't look favorable to becoming a star at all. That is all I mean.

pebloemer
11-30-2010, 01:07 PM

I get what you are saying, seeing as Mayo has relegated his game to that of a jump shooter. But his athleticism and handles add to his potential. He hasn't been using his athleticism, but that doesn't mean he won't. If he ever decides to use his handles and athleticism, his ceiling will be higher than Ben Gordon, but based on the way he is currently playing, it is a good comparison.

I wonder if a change of scenary and a new coach could help get more from him. He is untapped potential at the moment, coming off the bench for Memphis.

Hawkeye15
11-30-2010, 01:09 PM
I get what you are saying, seeing as Mayo has relegated his game to that of a jump shooter. But his athleticism and handles add to his potential. He hasn't been using his athleticism, but that doesn't mean he won't. If he ever decides to use his handles and athleticism, his ceiling will be higher than Ben Gordon, but based on the way he is currently playing, it is a good comparison.

I wonder if a change of scenary and a new coach could help get more from him. He is untapped potential at the moment, coming off the bench for Memphis.

very good points. I just see the kid settling at this stage of his career. I hope things change, because I agree, he is capable of more

I just get a bit irked when he is compared to two of the best slashers/shooters of our generation.

Chronz
11-30-2010, 01:10 PM
How come people keep referring to Harden as a defender and not Mayo?

Meaze_Gibson
11-30-2010, 01:11 PM
so the #3 pick, and most hyped high school player since LeBron, and 1st team all rookie, will become a sniper? So? Don't you want more out of a top 3 pick?

and Ray Allen was far better by year 3 than OJ Mayo is. Its not even close man.

Mayo is what, 23? I am not writing the kids career off. But he is entering a trend that doesn't look favorable to becoming a star at all. That is all I mean.

lol No disrespect man But year 3 is only 20 games in. We don't know how he will pan out this year. Both Ray and OJ's rookie and second year is comparable and rookie year slides to mayo. He's not just a sniper to me because he also plays solid defense-better than what ray allen and ben g gave their first two years. I'm jus sayin. Ray allen and oj mayo where comparable in regards to age their first two seasons.

Hawkeye15
11-30-2010, 01:14 PM
How come people keep referring to Harden as a defender and not Mayo?

yeah I don't know

Hawkeye15
11-30-2010, 01:18 PM
lol No disrespect man But year 3 is only 20 games in. We don't know how he will pan out this year. Both Ray and OJ's rookie and second year is comparable and rookie year slides to mayo. He's not just a sniper to me because he also plays solid defense-better than what ray allen and ben g gave their first two years. I'm jus sayin. Ray allen and oj mayo where comparable in regards to age their first two seasons.

year 1 with Mayo and Allen are comparable. By year two, the seperation starts.
And yes, its only 17 or so games in. But unless Mayo totally changes offensive tactics, he is not anywhere near the style or output of Ray Allen

Meaze_Gibson
11-30-2010, 01:32 PM
year 1 with Mayo and Allen are comparable. By year two, the seperation starts.
And yes, its only 17 or so games in. But unless Mayo totally changes offensive tactics, he is not anywhere near the style or output of Ray Allen

Ray Allen shot better from free throw line, and had more assists and boards. Ray Allen also had more minutes tho. mayo shot better everywhere else than ray allen and plays better defense. With 2 more min i'm sure mayo can give 19, 4, and 4.

I'm not a fan of hype but dude is legit. I don't expect wade's or durants numbers to stay the same. In same way, i don't expect mayo to remain a 40 percent fg shooter. He's proven to be better.

XskwizitMC
11-30-2010, 01:43 PM
they do look exactly alike if thats what you mean lmfao at least in 2K

knickerbockerny
11-30-2010, 01:44 PM
They resemble a little bit, but OJ Mayo has the ability to be a star player and I think Harden has the ability to be a solid role player. The thing with OJ Mayo he is being fazed out a bit in Memphis so Gay can justify being paid so much money. Mayo is basically a casualty of circumstance. Plus Memphis rather give Xavier Henry the more minutes to increase his development, because Mayo might not be there in the near future.

Harden is in the perfect place for his game. OJ needs a change of scenery.