PDA

View Full Version : Is Russell Westbrook the best player on the Thunder?

kjoke
11-29-2010, 11:34 PM
It pretty early in the season still but i cant help but wonder if durant whose not having the type of season he had last year has dropped off and westbrook has become the best player on the Thunder?

LTBaByyy
11-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Is this for real?

kjoke
11-29-2010, 11:37 PM
why, look at thier stats and its pretty close. theres a auora around durant, hes a great player but i get this feeling that westbrook is become much more important and reliable. hes improved signifantly both as a scorer and a passer

Hawkeye15
no. Durant typically starts slow, and Russell is going to be a star, but there is now way he is on Durant's level.

Baller1
This season, yes. Better player overall, no.

Baller1
11-29-2010, 11:40 PM
Here's Darnell Mayberry's, Thunder reporter, observation on the situation:

“My only problem with Westbrook’s emergence has been the backseat Durant has had to take. It’s becoming more and more evident that as Westbrook dominates the ball, Durant is reduced to second fiddle. Something has to change there. On several occasions tonight, Durant was the third, and sometimes fourth, option. When Westbrook is probing, Durant is standing around. It takes Durant completely out of the game. And by the time Durant finally gets a touch, he’s so eager to do something that he rushes up an ill-advised attempt. It’s killing his percentages and destroying his rhythm.”

kjoke
11-29-2010, 11:41 PM

makes a lot of sense actually, but durant cant complain considering that yo guys are winning

Hustlenomics
11-29-2010, 11:42 PM
im pretty sure Kevin Durant didn't get traded

Baller1
11-29-2010, 11:43 PM
makes a lot of sense actually, but durant cant complain considering that yo guys are winning

He's not, to this point at least. I'm not too worried about it yet because I'm optimistic that they'll figure it out, but that's not a definitive idea, so we'll see.

bbblack40
11-29-2010, 11:44 PM
yes. he was also there best player when it counted in the playoffs last yr. i mean the reason they went 6games with la was not because durant bc artest pretty much made it hell for durant but westbrook was the key for them competing so tough.

LTBaByyy
11-29-2010, 11:45 PM
Bc Durant gets all the attention of the defense thats why Westbrook gets it easier

If Durant wasnt on this team you really think Westbrook would have the same stats???

If Westbrook wasnt on this team, Durant would have the same stats

Period.

checkit
11-29-2010, 11:46 PM

I love Mayberry's perspectives. I had this concern as well. ATM Westbrook is playing out of his mind. I hope Durant picks it up.

Ovratd1up
11-29-2010, 11:47 PM
Can you see Durant complaining because Westbrook is straight up dominating, much less to the media? :laugh2:

Anyway, they should be able to work it out seeing as they've built great chemistry in playing basically they're careers together, and they are both great players.

Also, it's not like 27-28/7 at TS% .550 is killing any team either.

Mplsman
11-29-2010, 11:51 PM
Durant is a superstar. Westbrook is not.

_KB24_
11-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Westbrook has been a Top 12 Player in the league this year, and he's only emerging. I've brought it up a couple times, but I see Westbrook getting some looming offers in the upcoming 2-3 years. I don't know if the Westbrook and Durant tandem is going to work out, but the Thunder may need to trade one of them.

Baller1
11-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Westbrook has been a Top 12 Player in the league this year, and he's only emerging. I've brought it up a couple times, but I see Westbrook getting some looming offers in the upcoming 2-3 years. I don't know if the Westbrook and Durant tandem is going to work out, but the Thunder may need to trade one of them.

What makes you think that?

Ty Fast
11-30-2010, 12:11 AM
no

EaglePride615
11-30-2010, 12:16 AM
is this a real question??

redsox0717
11-30-2010, 12:19 AM
I know it's early, but Durant has regressed this season, whereas Westbrook has gotten better. You could certainly make the argument that Westbrook has been the better player this year, but he is definitely not an overall better player than Durant.

DwayneMVPwade
11-30-2010, 12:20 AM
No, Durant is better. But Westbrook is probably considered the 3rd best pg in the league behind cp3 and d-will. Durant is the second best sf in the league behind lebron.

stawka
11-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Bc Durant gets all the attention of the defense thats why Westbrook gets it easier

If Durant wasnt on this team you really think Westbrook would have the same stats???

Period.

Did you see Westbrook pick the Celtics apart a couple of weeks back, while Durabt was sidelined?

I don't think Russ is the better player, but he is just as important. Not only on offense, but he plays great D from what I've seen - something we can't say about KD yet

Dol-Fan
11-30-2010, 12:33 AM
My fantasy team says yes :nod:

jackdawson
11-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Westbrook is the 4th best point guard behind CP3, Rondo, and D-Will. And this season he has been better than Durant without a doubt.

bbblack40
11-30-2010, 12:43 AM

Period.

wasnt durant out with an injury when they played boston? he still put up his same numbers, hell he put up even better numbers. and boston had their defense geared to stop him.

finalverse
11-30-2010, 12:46 AM
Funny how it had to be a heat fan bringing this upHeat fans are mad as hell lol

Baller1
11-30-2010, 12:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cTGE5crzyg

I'm sure Battier would like to make a case for Westbrook.

Raph12
11-30-2010, 12:47 AM
He's had a much better season, but I expect Durant to bounce back, not before Dwight wins MVP though. :p

bovice163
11-30-2010, 12:51 AM
Not the best, but the most versatile and important. I think when KD missed those two games, especially against the Celtics, Westy stepped it up and did his best KD imitation. He can create shots for others, plays sound defense, and can also score pretty easily. If you put KD in Westy's shoes for those two games, then it would have been a lot uglier.

finalverse
11-30-2010, 12:54 AM
Durant is the better player hands down. Teams have to cater their defense for Durant, not Westbrook. As an opposing team they are more likely to be scared of Durant than Westbrook, that says a lot. Westbrook is a solid #2 and there is nothing wrong with that. Only thing I wish he would do is tone down his celebrations a bit. A truely great player doesn't celebrate everytime he makes a play, they act like they've been there before and it's just business as usual.

LTBaByyy
11-30-2010, 12:57 AM
wasnt durant out with an injury when they played boston? he still put up his same numbers, hell he put up even better numbers. and boston had their defense geared to stop him.

One game really? You think he can do that 82 games

If you had to pick Durant or Westbrook for your team and you dont pick Durant you gotta be a d*mn fool

_KB24_
11-30-2010, 03:02 AM
What makes you think that?

Because Westbrook is slowly showing that he can run a team as the leader and be productive :eyebrow:

From the 5 Thunder games I have seen this year, Westbrook was clearly running the offense and Durant's game was taking too much of a back seat. I think they both will eventually need their space and Durant locked in and Westbrook already balling out of his mind, he will no doubt grab the attention of the rest of the league who will jump at the chance of grabbing an top tier PG.

nolin
11-30-2010, 03:16 AM
No, Durant is better. But Westbrook is probably considered the 3rd best pg in the league behind cp3 and d-will. Durant is the second best sf in the league behind lebron.

Lmfao i love all the hate for Rose because bulls fans act like hes the next coming of MJ or something. but to say westbrook is better than rose is just straight stupid. and i know your not a stupid person right?

bears88
11-30-2010, 03:21 AM
One thing that's for sure though is
Westbrook>Rose

I just had to lol

:facepalm: really why do you want to start a Westbrook VS Rose this is strictly about Westbrook and Durant which both of those players i love watching and are one of my favorites so don't turn this into a Westbrook Vs Rose you got to go off topic like that :facepalm:

Baller1
11-30-2010, 03:29 AM
Because Westbrook is slowly showing that he can run a team as the leader and be productive :eyebrow:

From the 5 Thunder games I have seen this year, Westbrook was clearly running the offense and Durant's game was taking too much of a back seat. I think they both will eventually need their space and Durant locked in and Westbrook already balling out of his mind, he will no doubt grab the attention of the rest of the league who will jump at the chance of grabbing an top tier PG.

I don't think they'll split up. They're best friends, and have spent their brief careers together. If it comes down to them both needing max contracts, I'm sure we will give it to them. Westbrook is too good to just let walk away.

bears88
11-30-2010, 03:34 AM
I don't think they'll split up. They're best friends, and have spent their brief careers together. If it comes down to them both needing max contracts, I'm sure we will give it to them. Westbrook is too good to just let walk away.

I think Westbrook fits this team so well I cant see him being with anther team. I like Westbrook as a thunder he and Durant got good chemistry with each other I think he will resign with them.

Baller1
11-30-2010, 03:43 AM
I think Westbrook fits this team so well I cant see him being with anther team. I like Westbrook as a thunder he and Durant got good chemistry with each other I think he will resign with them.

Yeah, I'm really hoping so. It would kill me to see either of those guys play on another team (unless us Sonics fans get our team back and they play for Seattle).

PrettyBoyJ
11-30-2010, 03:51 AM
Starting to sound like a kobe and shaq thing.. Durant seems to humble for that cuz he loves his teammates and if they succeed as a group he'll be happy.. but you cant help but wonder whats floating in the back of his mind

toovey107
11-30-2010, 04:06 AM
The Heat beating 72-10 :laugh2:

Raph12
11-30-2010, 04:07 AM
Yeah, I'm really hoping so. It would kill me to see either of those guys play on another team (unless us Sonics fans get our team back and they play for Seattle).

Nelson for Westbrook and Carter for Durant... Please say yes lol.

theSPECIALKID
11-30-2010, 04:11 AM
Nelson for Westbrook and Carter for Durant... Please say yes lol.

Throw in Dwight Howard and this is a good trade. :clap:

GoatMilk
11-30-2010, 04:29 AM
locking up westbrook. they better do it this offseason.
idk how they're going to do it. Russell is going to want the max the way he's going, OKC is a small market, idk how their owner is.
going to be interesting.......unless im completely off base

Raph12
11-30-2010, 04:32 AM
Throw in Dwight Howard and this is a good trade. :clap:

If I threw in Dwight, OKC would have to throw in the rest of their roster, Dwight could single-handedly make any team a contender.

Hawkeye15
11-30-2010, 10:33 AM
If I threw in Dwight, OKC would have to throw in the rest of their roster, Dwight could single-handedly make any team a contender.

if you want Durant, Dwight has to go in that trade homie

KnicksorBust
11-30-2010, 11:01 AM

Nice quick read. This is what always concerns me too... when a PG becomes more of a scorer than a passer. It's a bad sign. Westbrook has the tools (minus perimeter shooting but Rondo doesn't have that either) to be a PG for a championship team. He can get easy points in the lane, set up teammates, and plays good defense. Yet if he starts to try and be option 1B each night to Durant's 1A... that will be a recipe for another early playoff exit. Westbrook's game has a lot of flavor but Durant's stirs the drink.

Kingdre619
11-30-2010, 11:13 AM
It pretty early in the season still but i cant help but wonder if durant whose not having the type of season he had last year has dropped off and westbrook has become the best player on the Thunder?

for the moment, yes, but overall, durant will catch fire soon, and take his spot back

but this is great for the thunder as well as the league, they have a big 2 now, before it was jus durant, and westbrook was his sidekick

now they are almost on level ground

all they need as that 20/10 player in the post

or atleast get greg oden this summer,lol

Baller1
11-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Nice quick read. This is what always concerns me too... when a PG becomes more of a scorer than a passer. It's a bad sign. Westbrook has the tools (minus perimeter shooting but Rondo doesn't have that either) to be a PG for a championship team. He can get easy points in the lane, set up teammates, and plays good defense. Yet if he starts to try and be option 1B each night to Durant's 1A... that will be a recipe for another early playoff exit. Westbrook's game has a lot of flavor but Durant's stirs the drink.

Yeah, I'm just hoping that with Durant's (supposedly) great attitude and their close friendship will allow for a chemistry that doesn't hinder the organization.

magichatnumber9
11-30-2010, 12:19 PM
I understand that Westbrook can dominate, that is cool, but he is not his team shooting guard. He is suppose to be a point guard. Westbrook needs to set the tone on offense and defense by getting his team involved and only dominating when necessary, like when defenders are giving him space to cover the other players. it's a ebb flow type thing he must learn in order for the team to make a serious splash in the playoffs. He can do it if he can ween himself off the high of taking over games.

Raph12
11-30-2010, 01:52 PM
if you want Durant, Dwight has to go in that trade homie

I was kidding about the trade (Westbrook for Nelson and Durant for VC and you guys thought I was serious?)... If we traded them Dwight, it would have to be for Durant+Harden or something along those lines.

This is the potential MVP and DPOY we're talking about, doing it at a very high level on both ends.

devv83
11-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Westbrook playing better right now, Durant still the better player I think though

But Durant got overrated so much this off season it was disgusting

People were thinking he was gonna avg 33, 11 5 smh

Its gonna be alot of upset posters when Jan comes around and durant still shooting 40% from the field avg 4 turnovers a game.

Baller1
11-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Westbrook playing better right now, Durant still the better player I think though

But Durant got overrated so much this off season it was disgusting

People were thinking he was gonna avg 33, 11 5 smh

Its gonna be alot of upset posters when Jan comes around and durant still shooting 40% from the field avg 4 turnovers a game.

Well considering Durant is shooting 42% right now despite shooting ridiculously bad, I'm sure it's not going to regress even further. But good try.

HakeemTheDream
11-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Good to see Westbrook getting some love. He's a MVP candidate in my books, and so is Pau Gasol. It's ridiculous how the popularity of a player can overshadow how well his team mates play, it's like how everyone said Lebron's team mates suck and all of a sudden people are realizing Cavs are better than they thought. Now people are acting as if Durant had something to do with Westbrook destroying Rondo en route to a Durant-less win over the Celtics, or Westbrook is the reason why Durant is missing wide open 3's. Hush with that nonsense, if a player is balling he's balling simple as that.

dtmagnet
11-30-2010, 05:26 PM
No, but people need to stop calling him a Robin. This guy could easily be a number 1 option on a winning team.

HakeemTheDream
11-30-2010, 05:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/notebook/_/page/Awards-101130/nba-awards-watch

Westbrook #2, that's what I'm talking about. The only thing I disagree with on that list is no Pau Gasol. ESPN is ridiculous.

hotpotato1092
11-30-2010, 06:12 PM
A lot of people laughed at my when I said at the beginning of the season in a thread about sidekicks that Russell Westbrook was a star in his own right.

WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, Durant is the better player, but Russell Westbrook is a fantastic player and could be the best player on a good team, he's just not Kevin Durant.

the unknown
11-30-2010, 06:59 PM
with my title being sad.. if westbrook is your best player on your team.. you will never win a championship..

if durant is the bestplayer on your team.. you will win a championship..

Westbrook is playing similiar to a Jason kidd/steve francis type player.. great yes..

poleandreel
11-30-2010, 07:02 PM
with my title being sad.. if westbrook is your best player on your team.. you will never win a championship..

if durant is the bestplayer on your team.. you will win a championship..

Westbrook is playing similiar to a Jason kidd/steve francis type player.. great yes..

well by this logic, a team led by deron williams and derick rose would never win a championship either.

he is right up there with both of them

Carey
11-30-2010, 07:20 PM
I understand that Westbrook can dominate, that is cool, but he is not his team shooting guard. He is suppose to be a point guard. Westbrook needs to set the tone on offense and defense by getting his team involved and only dominating when necessary, like when defenders are giving him space to cover the other players. it's a ebb flow type thing he must learn in order for the team to make a serious splash in the playoffs. He can do it if he can ween himself off the high of taking over games.

He always starts games trying to get others involved, he averages 8.6 assists per, the 2nd half of games he's been needed to take over games from a scoring standpoint with KD's struggles.

Baller1
11-30-2010, 09:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/notebook/_/page/Awards-101130/nba-awards-watch

Westbrook #2, that's what I'm talking about. The only thing I disagree with on that list is no Pau Gasol. ESPN is ridiculous.

Hell yeah!

dtmagnet
11-30-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm curious if people finally agree that Westbrook is better than Rose? I believe he is.

hyb152
11-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Yes. I was just thinking this a few days ago. I have both players on my fantasy team. It seems Westbrook is outperforming Durrant in almost every category every game.

....And yes. Westbrook is better than Rose, and I'm a big fan of Rose.

drobe86
11-30-2010, 11:26 PM
These threads are hilarious. Is Westbrook a top 5 pg? Yes but Durant is top 3 in the NBA period lol......

Competition
12-01-2010, 12:12 AM
These threads are hilarious. Is Westbrook a top 5 pg? Yes but Durant is top 3 in the NBA period lol......

Since when did durant overtake wade, howard and chris paul. You lose creditbility by saying that there. For all his hype he hasn't even surpassed melo officially yet. Why he's consider better is because he does the scoring and playmaking while playing good defense but durant is only a scorer.

To the op yes i believe westbrook is there best player this season, if he keeps this til half the season then you better bet u can make that claim. I mean durant only played one great season and suddenly the dude is a top 3 player by this poster and many more.

Baller1
12-01-2010, 12:18 AM
Since when did durant overtake wade, howard and chris paul. You lose creditbility by saying that there. For all his hype he hasn't even surpassed melo officially yet. Why he's consider better is because he does the scoring and playmaking while playing good defense but durant is only a scorer.

To the op yes i believe westbrook is there best player this season, if he keeps this til half the season then you better bet u can make that claim. I mean durant only played one great season and suddenly the dude is a top 3 player by this poster and many more.

Since when is it not a good season for a second year player to put up 25 points with a respectable ts%?

Blazers#1Fan
12-01-2010, 12:35 AM

Durants top 5 Westbrook is top 5 PG

Cavs_Fan24
12-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Westbrook is the heart and soul of that thunder team. I've watched a lot of okc this year so far and also a little last season. Westbrook carries this team and without him the thunder are a borderline playoff team. Russell Westbrook isn't given the credit he deserves for why this thunder team is as good as they are. He is playing like the MVP.

justinnum1
12-01-2010, 01:34 AM
Durant is only amazing at scoring, Westbrook can score, assits and rebound. I'm actually more impressed with westbrook.

finalverse
12-01-2010, 01:38 AM
I don't know, if KD is off that team it would hurt them more than if RW is off that team.

Cavs_Fan24
12-01-2010, 06:38 AM
^not really. If I remember correctly okc won their games while durant was out of the lineup earlier this season. And one of those was a win against Boston.

I'm telling you, this team goes through westbrook.

Cavs_Fan24
12-01-2010, 06:38 AM
^not really. If I remember correctly okc won their games while durant was out of the lineup earlier this season. And one of those was a win against Boston.

Draco
12-01-2010, 10:26 AM

Boston also lost to the Raptors two days later. Their other win against the Bucks was with Bogut a non-factor on offense and Jennings was in his usual inefficient shooting form.

John Walls Era
12-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Durants the better player, but I read that Durant called him the leader of the team.

Baller1
12-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Boston also lost to the Raptors two days later. Their other win against the Bucks was with Bogut a non-factor on offense and Jennings was in his usual inefficient shooting form.

Nice excuses.

Bullsfan22
12-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Right now? No. Westbrook is slowly becoming the better overall player.

finalverse
12-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Ask 30 teams, who would they rather have Durant or Westbrook. When you get their answers, you'll have your answer to this thread.