PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Spurs so good?

JoeyBoy718
11-29-2010, 12:22 AM
I haven't been able to catch any Spurs games yet this season but I see they've been killing it. I was just wondering if anyone knows exactly why and how they are killing it. I know they've been aging and this year should be no different. I see Manu is having a solid, healthy season; Tony is playing like his usual self; Tim's stats are way down, mostly scoring, from when he was in his prime; Jefferson is doing okay, nothing extraordinary; an undersized Blair is starting at center and is doing okay; and no one on the bench is that amazing. So can anyone enlighten me? Thanks

tredigs
11-29-2010, 12:32 AM
I think it's because Manu's playing more/better than ever, and TP is back to 100%. Tim's still one of the best bigs in the league, and Richard Jefferson is finally starting to click.

Also, they're a 50+ win team... ever year. So while this start is better than normal, they're still going to be a contender or close to it so long as their big 3 are healthy.

tangent12
11-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Because they're getting ready to suck *** come playoff time.

drobe86
11-29-2010, 12:49 AM
1 word. Coaching

JoeyBoy718
11-29-2010, 12:54 AM

Because they have 4 championships? And LeBron, Bosh, Melo, Paul, Williams, Nash, Stoudemire, Durant combined have 0?

P.S. I'm not even a Spurs fan, but give them their due.

stawka
11-29-2010, 12:57 AM

Yeah I know. Duncan has always been a choker, Manu is overrated, TP is a scrub and Popovic... PFFFFT don't get me started on him

Are you serious or what?!

JermanJaysFan
11-29-2010, 01:02 AM
- They have a steady post presence on both ends in HOFer Tim Duncan
- They have excellent role-playing bigs to play off him in Bonner/Blair/McDyess who all bring something different
- Manu is back in form as a top 2 guard
- Tony Parker is healthy and, while this is the year of the PG, is doing very well and is having something like a career year, which is saying something.
- Richard Jefferson has nicely integrated himself into the offense

Certainly not least of all, they have the best coach in the league, Gregg Popovich who has now coached Parker for 10 years, Ginobili for 9, and Duncan for 14. There is something to say for keeping an incredibly talented and smart quartet of players+coach together for a decade.

krest213
11-29-2010, 01:03 AM
as a spurs fan
coaching( love Pop) best coach ever
Parker got deliver from Eva(literally)
we got younger and more Athletic.

if the big 3 remains healthy i can see us winning the 5th

DerekRE_3
11-29-2010, 01:07 AM
Hall of fame coach
Top PF to ever play
Healthy Manu/team
Revitalized Richard Jefferson
Role players

Raph12
11-29-2010, 01:15 AM
Health, chemistry and Manu starting...

B.JenningsMVP
11-29-2010, 01:22 AM
cuz of george hill x matt boner off the bench
that's like having a poor mans brandon roy x larry bird off the bench

Geargo Wallace
11-29-2010, 01:22 AM
it would be something else if the Spurs could win another ring

Geargo Wallace
11-29-2010, 01:23 AM

you mean dead broke right?

Baller1
11-29-2010, 01:23 AM
Healthy and Manu.

B.JenningsMVP
11-29-2010, 01:27 AM
you mean dead broke right?

naaa mayne.. it's like b.roy n l.bird are
SUPER HIGH CLASS

MIDDLE CLASS - n g.hill n m.boner are here if they took basketball steroids they would be the same class

Geargo Wallace
11-29-2010, 01:45 AM
naaa mayne.. it's like b.roy n l.bird are
SUPER HIGH CLASS

MIDDLE CLASS - n g.hill n m.boner are here if they took basketball steroids they would be the same class

Son ur just too much lol

Joshtd1
11-29-2010, 01:59 AM
Healthy for once at the start of the season. Last couple atleast one of our big 3 have been injured.

We've gotten more athletic as well.

RJ isn't playing like a girl and actually forcing teams to defend him which opens it up for the big 3. We have good shooter and floor spacing..our defense has been good as of late.

Goes back to us being healthy though.

Giraffes Rule
11-29-2010, 02:03 AM
Tony Parker is getting more assists than ever, and he's still scoring the way he always has.

Ginobili is healthy, and he's just ridiculous in the clutch. He tends to make some ill advised passes sometimes, but that's just Manu being Manu.

Jefferson is vastly improved this year. He can make the corner three like Bowen did back in the day, and he still has his athletic ability to finish at the basket as well. I think part of his increased production is a result of Tony Parker, after a year together I think they both have a better feel for what they can do.

I think those are the three biggest improvements so far. Splitter hasn't even gotten steady minutes yet either, so this team could get even better.

Kashmir13579
11-29-2010, 03:16 AM
pop

xabial
11-29-2010, 03:32 AM
With the First pick in the 1997 Draft the San Antonio Spurs select...

BkOriginalOne
11-29-2010, 03:50 AM
Health
RJ
Manu, Parker, Duncan - about 10 years in the same Uni
Greg Pop

Drewlius
11-29-2010, 03:52 AM
Manu & Tony are both actually healthy. For the past few years, one of them would be hobbled, get better, and then the other one would have an injury. Sure, there were surely games when both were on the court, but neither of them were truly in form at the same time in quite a while. This has allowed us to really push the ball, and with Timmy taking a back seat on offense, thus not forcing us to run everything through him, our fastbreak has been killer.

Mcdyess & Jefferson are both in their 2nd year in what is widely regarded as a very hard system to learn. They also have to feel like they are now a true part of the team, and are willing to take more risks on offense.

Our bench is a lot deeper than people give us credit for. Bonner is obviously great at stretching the floor, regardless of how terrible his defense is. George Hill has been somewhat inconsistent, but when he shows up, it makes us insanely tough to beat. Splitter is getting a little bit of run here and there, and has shown signs of solid defense, and is good in the pick & roll. Gary Neal is a workhouse, and has been solid from three down the stretch. Blair still has a ton of upside, and although he has been getting the starting nod, it's usually only for the first 5-6 minutes. He still makes a ton of mistakes on defense, and is much better against other short bangers than big men.

I personally think the defense needs a lot of work. But I'm happy with the way they are performing, and I think they have a very solid chance at making a deep championship run.

iggypop123
11-29-2010, 04:25 AM
they are healthier, even healthier than the lakers, and some games cant miss from 3.

Storch
11-29-2010, 04:33 AM
They've always been good, just been plagued with injuries.

D1JM
11-29-2010, 05:03 AM
Spurs are balling because of Parker. ****en longoria probably had his mind twisted about her cheating while she was in LA with her BFF Mario Lopez being with her 24/7

Law25
11-29-2010, 05:05 AM
Because as of late after every Lakers 3 year run the spurs come to spoil the fun, but this year that trend is done. Go Lakers three peat everyone else take the back seats.

CityofChaos
11-29-2010, 05:09 AM

I guess people in Oakland really are stupid...

sventhedog
11-29-2010, 06:46 AM
because tony parker is the man!

JayW_1023
11-29-2010, 09:56 AM
I think Manu is a big reason why. At 33, he is still playing as spryly as ever. He doesn't have to be the Spurs' only wing slasher anymore with RJ filling that role, and Hill off the bench. So that allows him to play more within the flow of the offense as a playmaker. Parker has been great in transition, and he doensn't have to do much else that pushing the ball with so many shooters around him. It has made him more efficient, because he takes fewer jumpers.

Duncans numbers may be unDuncan-like but he is still a presence out there. He is still dangerous on the block, but he is saving himself more to be fresher come postseason. Dice, Blair and BONNER! have been great filling the void, even while Splitter is still finding his groove. And I love rookie Gary Neals shooting. Since he already played alot in Europe, this is no ordinary rookie. He knows the pro game better than most rookies.

NetsPaint
11-29-2010, 10:48 AM
I could see it also being because they stick to the same main players and not trading veterans or not re-signing them for youth just to be young.

DenButsu
11-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Because they've got Manu, TP and TD.

Team*Chicago
11-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Flat tell'ya the truth the Spurs are beating up on the worse teams, had no back to back games and beating the good teams that had back to back games and are tired from the prevoius game they recently had while the Spurs are well rested, ready and more prepared to defeat them.

JayW_1023
11-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Flat tell'ya the truth the Spurs are beating up on the worse teams, had no back to back games and beating the good teams that had back to back games and are tired from the prevoius game they recently had while the Spurs are well rested, ready and more prepared to defeat them.

Beating a red hot Hornets team after being 17 down at halftime isn't legit?

JordansBulls
11-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Would be cool to see the Spurs in the finals this year. Good change for the Western Conference.

JayW_1023
11-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Would be cool to see the Spurs in the finals this year. Good change for the Western Conference.

Not much of a change however. I'm sure neutral spectators would rather see OKC in the finals ;)

Joshtd1
11-29-2010, 01:19 PM

Yes because the Hornets/Thunder/Magic/Bulls/Jazz/Phoenix are just the worst teams in the league huh.

I dont see what wrong with the Spurs beating teams that they are suppoed to beat either..should they just lose those games instead?

arkanian215
11-29-2010, 01:24 PM
RJ. He has changed his game over the summer. Not many guys do that this late in their careers. His game wasn't suited for the Spurs' pace or style but he worked on it and seems to have a better grasp of how to use his abilities in their system.

I remember everyone thinking why the heck did he opt out? And then again when the Spurs gave him a ton of money. I laughed when I saw the dollar amount. According to some stats, this is his most efficient season in his entire career.

Hawkeye15
11-29-2010, 01:26 PM
because Manu are TP are playing very well, Jefferson is having a bounce back season, their defense and outside shooting have been stellar, and they have one of the top 3 coaches in the modern era

arkanian215
11-29-2010, 01:38 PM

According to Hollinger's power rankings, the Spurs SOS (Average winning percentage of opponents played) is 13th right now. Their SOS L10 is 5th.

The Spurs have played against 5 teams on the back end of their opponent's back to back. Clippers twice, 76ers, Bulls, New Orleans (only loss out of all of these) and the Cavs. I think the Spurs would win the same amount of games even if those teams weren't playing back to backs. Does it make it easier that these teams play twice in two nights? Sure. But I expect them to beat most of them regardless of their opponent's situation.

MJ-BULLS
11-29-2010, 01:52 PM
they have a great future Hall of Famer in pop.
Manu is playing out of his mind.
Tony Parker is back, and healthy.
Tim Duncan isn't the same player he used to be, but still a effective big man that can play in the low post.

GunFactor187
11-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Great HC
Great Management
Consistancy, Consistancy, Consistancy

mikantsass
11-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Coaching, Health, Chemistry, Belief in a system

DubiousCustomer
11-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Because of Gary Neal.

blahblahyoutoo
11-29-2010, 02:39 PM
because the players are all relieved to find out that tony parker isn't banging their wives.

spurs21
11-29-2010, 02:52 PM
they were always this good i mean they did beat a pretty stacked Dallas Mavs team, its just that rj wasn't used to the style of gameplay that pop plays and now they are all healthy with a bunch of wise draft picks. Remember last year they were projected to be the top 3 teams with the addition of rj, mcdyess, blair and the progression of hill.

Patman
11-29-2010, 03:01 PM
They are all healthy and Manu and TP playing great to start the season. TD i think looks better as a help defender then last season (but i'm not a 100% on this). The roleplayers hit their shots. The core has been together a long time. Pop is a great coach. And honestly they were a 50 win team throughout the 2000's so it should not be that surprising.

And they still have room to grow their defense could be better and Blair doesn't look good, but should get better and Splitter looks promising but has to get used to the System and the NBA.

Hellcrooner
11-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Because theres no I in Team but there is in Tim.
They just play as one with no BS bout whos top dog, who eats first and who gets more shot, they just want to win, have the players to win, the depth to win and the coach to win.

TEAMS not players win rings thats what they preach.
Definetly out of the other 29 teams in the league, if someone has to beat our purple and gold ***** i hope its spurs, i coudl respect that.

spurs4#5
12-01-2010, 11:29 AM
spurs are so good because they knowhow to work as a team and have the greatest power forward ever and one of the best coaches ever....also you dont ever see them running their mouths like some teams and fans....(heat, lakers)

IndyRealist
12-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Because they've moved from centering their offense around Duncan to centering it around Manu, which allows Duncan to concentrate on defense. They're playing faster and have the 3rd best offense in the league, while still staying 9th on defense.

James Anderson was yet another good late draft pick.

DeJuan Blair in the the starting lineup allows Bonner to play off the bench against lesser big men who aren't accustomed to guarding the perimeter.

George Hill is a starting caliber PG coming off their bench.

Gary Neal is a sniper.

The Spurs are good because 1 through 9 they have very good players who buy into the system and know their roles. And all of that goes back to Popovich.

SanAntonioSpurs23
12-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Honestly health is the biggest reason, like someone else has said this is the first time in 3 years where all of the big three are healthy. A healthy Manu Ginobili is so important to this team. He is clutch and can make crucial plays on both ends of the floor. TP is also healthy which he wasn't all year last year.

RJ has also improved his game on both ends of the floor. Working with Pop over the summer really paid dividends. RJ understands his role and is attacking the basket and drawing fouls like he did in NJ.

Also you have to look at how the Spurs have quietly got younger and improved thier bench. James Anderson (although injured, has proven to be another solid draft pick). George Hill is playing well, Blair has shown some signs of improvement. Gary Neal is a surprise, he can shoot the long lights out, and he has even shown he has a solid mid range jumper. Then you have Tiago Splitter. He hasn't played much lately, but when he does get PT he rarely does things wrong. He is like a more offensive skilled Oberto. He sets awesome screens, he is excellent on P N R defense and offense. As the season moves on I fully expect him to be in the starting lineup.

Then you add Duncan, Bonner and Mcdyess (who is playing great ball) and the Spurs are a legit 11 players deep. Lakers are still the favorites, but this Spurs team if healthy will give them a run for thier money.

bovice163
12-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Chemistry, healthy roster, Manu starting, and great coaching pretty much sums it up.

Kingz4L
12-01-2010, 04:28 PM
I think most of their success comes from the stellar play from Manu and Jefferson...also their bench chemistry is at a all times high. Who is this Neal guy? He had like 15 yesterday..

Joshtd1
12-01-2010, 04:32 PM
I think most of their success comes from the stellar play from Manu and Jefferson...also their bench chemistry is at a all times high. Who is this Neal guy? He had like 15 yesterday..

20 PPG scorer in Europe, played college ball in the states. Pretty good shooter,but has shown he has a floater in his game.

smiddy012
12-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Theyre playing lights out, like theyre never out of a game no matter how many points theyre behind. They just turn it on in the second half - that is a combo of veteran starpower/leadership and coaching... not to mention the team is healthy, and theyve already had chemistry - theyve just added to it.

Giraffes Rule
12-01-2010, 07:25 PM
20 PPG scorer in Europe, played college ball in the states. Pretty good shooter,but has shown he has a floater in his game.

Also mediocre defensively. Can't forget about that.

AddiX
12-01-2010, 08:00 PM
The reason the SPurs are always good, is because everything you morons would do, they don't do.

They don't look for nothing but highlight players, problem players, players with high ceilings, and change there roster over on a yearly basis, they don't over-rate bums who don't know how to play there own position, and they don't bring in a bunch of players who suck at the things there position demands of them, and none of them have a EGO.

You young NBA fans could learn a lot watching how the Spurs play.

holocaust227
12-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Manuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Bruno
12-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Parkers resurgence, but mainly because of Ginobli.

Ginobli is playing the best basketball of his entire career. He is posting a PER of 25.8 through 17 games. That is higher than Bryants, (24.3) and significantly higher than Wades (20.5). Statistically speaking, Ginobli has been the best SG in the league through 17 games. He has a true shooting percentage of 65%! Ginobli has the third highest PER in the league, behind only Paul and Westbrook. He is also 2nd in win-shares per/48. He's accomplishing all of this with a usage % of 26.1.

He should be getting MVP consideration.

iCOOKiE MONSTER
12-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Is manu starting.?.?

Joshtd1
12-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Yes hes finally starting