PDA

View Full Version : When these players retire, it will mark the end of an NBA era...

DitchDat
11-28-2010, 01:11 PM
What players that are nearing the ends of their respective careers have had such an impact on the league, that their retirements will mark the end of an era?
When these players are left, the league will be for KD, LeBron, Wade, Dwight, Rose etc.

Feel free to add to the list:
Tim Duncan
Dirk Nowitkzi
Paul Pierce
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett
Shaquille O'Neal

black1605
11-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Nash, Kidd, Carter.

Hawkeye15
11-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Ray Allen

mjt20mik
11-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Billups, Jamison

Avenged
11-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Kobe and Duncan.. Talking about 2 of the best players in the 00's decade.

m26555
11-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Iverson (technically hasn't retired), McGrady.

DitchDat
11-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Billups, Jamison

rly? :confused:

knicksfan42
11-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Ray Allen
Steve Nash
Paul Pierce
Vince Carter
Kidd
McGrady

These guys may not be as good as some of the players you mentioned, but they were all the face of a franchise at one point. As for Vince Carter, best dunker of all time (as well as the previous statement).

iliketurtles24
11-28-2010, 01:37 PM
kobe, kg, ray allen, tim duncan, dirk ,etc

el_primo_nano
11-28-2010, 01:39 PM
that will be a sad day. Pau, Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal. Those were the guys that helped me love the game

mjt20mik
11-28-2010, 01:44 PM

Billups, yes. I remember all those great games he had with the Pistons in the playoffs. Jamison not so much I guess.

Geargo Wallace
11-28-2010, 01:47 PM
the Celtics' old guys + Kobe, Duncan, Dirk, Nash. Some all time greats but it still makes me miss the 90's and 80's players

AFlagRules
11-28-2010, 01:51 PM

lmao, my thought exactly...

The list looks pretty much done.

Baller1
11-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Such a great decade of basketball. I miss the green and gold... :(

millerandco
11-28-2010, 01:59 PM
ben wallace

DitchDat
11-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Billups, yes. I remember all those great games he had with the Pistons in the playoffs. Jamison not so much I guess.

I love Billups, don't get me wrong, but I don't think he was a dominant, era-defining guy. He was awesome for a couple of years with the Pistons, but a lot of players have had short-type of success.

Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant and Jason Kidd... those guys are in another class

Mishmin
11-28-2010, 02:07 PM
How bout old Grant Hill. Also Ginobli's crazy ***.

Bob Loblaw
11-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Mike James

CavsYanksDuke
11-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Yao Ming? lol

eugene
11-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Timmy
KG
Kidd
Ivy
Nash
Dirk
Chauncey
Shaq
Ray Ray

kingkobe
11-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Mike James

This

Storch
11-28-2010, 02:49 PM
What players that are nearing the ends of their respective careers have had such an impact on the league, that their retirements will mark the end of an era?
When these players are left, the league will be for KD, LeBron, Wade, Dwight, Rose etc.

Tim Duncan
Dirk Nowitkzi
Paul Pierce
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett
Shaquille O'Neal

You gotta add Ray Allen, Allen Iverson (semi-retired), Vince Carter, Jason Kidd, and Steve Nash

PurpleJesus
11-28-2010, 02:55 PM
you better believe that when people look back on this era, Derek Fisher and Lamar Odom will be remembered...much like how Kerr is remembered. Not stars, but a big part of multiple championships

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Mike James

no

the retiring of Mike James will mark the end of the NBA:sad2:

Storch
11-28-2010, 03:31 PM
you better believe that when people look back on this era, Derek Fisher and Lamar Odom will be remembered...much like how Kerr is remembered. Not stars, but a big part of multiple championships

Well, I don't think this thread is for that purpose. Because if it was, then we have to add a ton of players like Mike Bibby, Tony Parker, Robert Horry, Manu Ginobili, Chauncey Billups, Ben Wallace, Jermaine O'neal, Yao Ming etc. That's a completely different category.

Storch
11-28-2010, 03:31 PM
no

the retiring of Mike James will mark the end of the NBA:sad2:

This joke was funny a year ago. :pity:

barreleffact
11-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Shaq and Duncan mark the end of the dominany bigs. Kobe while a top 10 isnt a defining retirement to me as he was our replacement for Jordan but was not his own thrill ride until late in his career.

KG will signify the end of an era where players stayed in bad situations.

Lebron will hopefully be the last prima donna. I hope thats what his retirement will signify.

That is what I think of when I think end of an era. Not specifically a time period so much as the end of a definition of character or type of play

Edit: Iversons retirement was the end of me above the sport. I loved the guy for his passion and heart but sadly he will be known as much for "practice" as he will for going to the finals. Its a shame how his career is ending.

Becks2307
11-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Shaq and Duncan mark the end of the dominany bigs. Kobe while a top 10 isnt a defining retirement to me as he was our replacement for Jordan but was not his own thrill ride until late in his career.

KG will signify the end of an era where players stayed in bad situations.

Lebron will hopefully be the last prima donna. I hope thats what his retirement will signify.

That is what I think of when I think end of an era. Not specifically a time period so much as the end of a definition of character or type of play

Edit: Iversons retirement was the end of me above the sport. I loved the guy for his passion and heart but sadly he will be known as much for "practice" as he will for going to the finals. Its a shame how his career is ending.

lol you sound as if personality traits that future players will have will be non existent because of what happened in the past.

Believe me there will be many more 'me above the sport' players

barreleffact
11-28-2010, 04:34 PM
lol you sound as if personality traits that future players will have will be non existent because of what happened in the past.

Believe me there will be many more 'me above the sport' players

Very true, but at least for now players are getting checked more. ala terrence williams. Players get fined by their teams for messing up. Sure, Lebron still does whatever he wants(bumping his ocoach) but i think the league will change knowing AI was forced out, even if only slightly

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-28-2010, 04:40 PM
This joke was funny a year ago. :pity:

What joke???:confused:

sep11ie
11-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Some of y'alls choices make me say "huh"?

Jamison, T-Mac, Vince, Jermain O'Neal???

Ladies Man16
11-28-2010, 05:59 PM
jannero pargo

Mplsman
11-28-2010, 06:40 PM
It's going to be crazy when it happens, that is for sure.

smith&wesson
11-28-2010, 06:49 PM

Tim Duncan
Dirk Nowitkzi
Paul Pierce
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett
Shaquille O'Neal

steve nash
jason kidd
ray allen
vince carter
shawn marion
baron davis
mike bibby

Ty Fast
11-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Kobe and Duncan.. Talking about 2 of the best players in the 00's decade.

i think shaq should be in that group as well

Ty Fast
11-28-2010, 06:54 PM

t - mac aint that bad. 2 scoring titles and probably top 5 for point per game for the decade.

Crackadalic
11-28-2010, 06:58 PM
I remember watching these guys 10 years ago was only 10-11 years old they were so fun to watch now it seems like its about to be over and is entering in a era of point guards and wing players dominated the game wish the games were more physical instead of the whole touch foul bs we get now

DitchDat
11-29-2010, 03:57 AM
I remember watching these guys 10 years ago was only 10-11 years old they were so fun to watch now it seems like its about to be over and is entering in a era of point guards and wing players dominated the game wish the games were more physical instead of the whole touch foul bs we get now

co-sign

Sadds The Gr8
11-29-2010, 04:07 AM
I miss the late 90's and early-mid 2000's. **** the new superstars.

kikeyanez
11-29-2010, 04:10 AM
Phil jackson

LTBaByyy
11-29-2010, 04:28 AM
I just hope the new generation doesnt lose their athletic edge fast and not be as good as they are now or get injured cause their playing style bc their all slashers and athletic (a la vince carter shawn kemp tracy mcgrady steve francis grant hill gerald green stephon marbury allen iverson greg oden michael finley jerry stackhouse etc.)

Finesse players have long careers

Storch
11-29-2010, 04:37 AM

Perhaps you weren't a fan of basketball yet when these guys were actually ballers in the league? (excluding Jamison).

T-Mac was rivaled with Kobe back in the day and he was a true superstar.

Vince Carter was the fiercest dunker ever to live. He was good in the Raptors and Nets.

Jermaine O'neal was great in the Pacers, he was a true all-star. He played with Reggie Miller's Pacers, they were awesome.

ko8e24
11-29-2010, 04:53 AM
Some names not mentioned but have been in the league for a very very long time, some veteran bigs:

Kurt Thomas, Joe Smith, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Theo Ratliff, Juwan Howard, Tony Battie

asandhu23
11-29-2010, 05:33 AM
Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, LeBron, Kidd, VC, Iverson, Paul Pierce. i think thats about it.

As for me, i think Cohan selling Golden State Warriors was a significant end of a turrible era

ragee
11-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Ray Allen
Steve Nash
Paul Pierce
Vince Carter
Kidd
McGrady

These guys may not be as good as some of the players you mentioned, but they were all the face of a franchise at one point. As for Vince Carter, best dunker of all time (as well as the previous statement).

May not be as good? Kidd is one of the best PG there ever was... Scoring is overrated... This guy have done so much more other than scoring...

DitchDat
11-30-2010, 05:32 AM
Some names not mentioned but have been in the league for a very very long time, some veteran bigs:

Kurt Thomas, Joe Smith, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Theo Ratliff, Juwan Howard, Tony Battie

Agreed, but it's not like they're era-defining guys

Supreme LA
11-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Well, I don't think this thread is for that purpose. Because if it was, then we have to add a ton of players like Mike Bibby, Tony Parker, Robert Horry, Manu Ginobili, Chauncey Billups, Ben Wallace, Jermaine O'neal, Yao Ming etc. That's a completely different category.

Why not?? We're talking about players that defined an era and as great as some of the big superstars were, I can't imagine looking back at this era and not having Derek and Ginobli come to mind. They have to be included even if they were just role players because they were definitely among the best at what did and what they contributed to winning multiple championships. I usually try my best to not be a homer but I gotta say Derek is someone I think has branded himself as a key player for this era.

Supreme LA
11-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Perhaps you weren't a fan of basketball yet when these guys were actually ballers in the league? (excluding Jamison).

T-Mac was rivaled with Kobe back in the day and he was a true superstar.

Vince Carter was the fiercest dunker ever to live. He was good in the Raptors and Nets.

Jermaine O'neal was great in the Pacers, he was a true all-star. He played with Reggie Miller's Pacers, they were awesome.

Ya, for like 1 season. I don't understand how you consider Jermaine Oneal a era defining player and cast out Ginobli and Derek Fisher, both of whom have accompished a lot more than Jermaine has.

FlashMacker
11-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Why not?? We're talking about players that defined an era and as great as some of the big superstars were, I can't imagine looking back at this era and not having Derek and Ginobli come to mind. They have to be included even if they were just role players because they were definitely among the best at what did and what they contributed to winning multiple championships. I usually try my best to not be a homer but I gotta say Derek is someone I think has branded himself as a key player for this era.

Looking back on the era you gotta include Robert Horry too.

MacFitz92
11-30-2010, 10:15 AM
The players that made the era for me: Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, Garnett, Dirk, Kidd, Nash, Iverson.

DitchDat
11-30-2010, 06:26 PM
The players that made the era for me: Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, Garnett, Dirk, Kidd, Nash, Iverson.

sounds about right

the Jamison, Billups and JO nomination kinda throw me off :confused:

Lake_Show2416
11-30-2010, 07:00 PM
ya its pretty crazy seeing these players coming to the end of there careers

some goods times..... KOBE AND DUNCAN THE 2 BEST PLAYERS IN PAST 10 years

RaiderLakersA's
11-30-2010, 07:34 PM
When Duncan, Shaq, and Kobe are all retired, it will mean the end of an era in my opinion.

I'm not saying that there haven't been other great players. There have been plenty and some have come and gone already. But from the moment Duncan, Shaq and Kobe entered the league to the current date, their impact has created huge shockwaves that has spanned decades. In much the same way that you hear about the legendary Michael Jordan in the mouths of today's youth, 20 - 30 years from now kids will wonder about the mythic legends of Duncan, Shaq and Kobe. The kids will be in awe. And for those of use who got to watch these gentleman play, we'll watch the old highlight vids of their performances and recount the stories with childlike reverie and glee.

End of an era, indeed.