PDA

View Full Version : Ama're at least helping the Knicks, Joe Johnson is stinking it up!!!

DitchDat
11-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Man in the offeason I thought these two deals were some of the worst ones ever made, but at least I've come around on Ama're Stoudemire lately. While I don't think he is an elite player at all, he at least brings "it" for the Knicks. He plays like the alpha dog and is deservedly the biggest paid player on the team.

Joe Johnson, on the other hand, he is reaching that Rashard Lewis-territory. His shooting numbers are terrible, and he still isn't getting to the line. Good luck with that one, Atlanta !

To make this a thread: what players (over the years, not just this offeason) have fallen off immensely after cashing in on a fat contract?

NBAfan4life
11-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Baron Davis off the top.

xbrackattackx
11-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Eddie Curry

mudvayne387
11-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Man in the offeason I thought these two deals were some of the worst ones ever made, but at least I've come around on Ama're Stoudemire lately. While I don't think he is a good player at all, he at least brings "it" for the Knicks. He plays like the alpha dog and is deservedly the biggest paid player on the team.

Joe Johnson, on the other hand, he is reaching that Rashard Lewis-territory. His shooting numbers are terrible, and he still isn't getting to the line. Good luck with that one, Atlanta !

To make this a thread: what players (over the years, not just this offeason) have fallen off immensely after cashing in on a fat contract?

Please explain, you contradict yourself almost immediately. You don't think STAT is a good player at all ?

nycericanguy
11-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Man in the offeason I thought these two deals were some of the worst ones ever made, but at least I've come around on Ama're Stoudemire lately. While I don't think he is a good player at all, he at least brings "it" for the Knicks. He plays like the alpha dog and is deservedly the biggest paid player on the team.

I kinda stopped reading after that, he might have flaws in his game... but not a good player at all? :facepalm:

Cavs_Fan24
11-28-2010, 11:45 AM
He's still a top pf in the league. Not good at all? Cmon now. I know the guy is overpaid but show the man some respect.

Mr Grim
11-28-2010, 12:00 PM
I'd have to go with Elton Brand. Dude is almost invisible these days.

millerandco
11-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Eddie Curry and R "i do nothing" Lewis...i honestly can't believe the magic still have him on their roster he is pure garbage

Evolution23
11-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Chris Bosh and Wade

Sadds The Gr8
11-28-2010, 12:48 PM
he's stinkin up my fantasy roster which is even worse

TheGreenMonster
11-28-2010, 12:52 PM
I am surprised they didn't take this post down for saying something bad about a player! NO BAITING! WHHAAAAHHHHH!!! I am telling!:cry:

Boom.Boom
11-28-2010, 12:54 PM
hiyadet turkoglu.

DitchDat
11-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Please explain, you contradict yourself almost immediately. You don't think STAT is a good player at all ?

If I had a 100 million dollar to give to a player, it would not be Ama're Stoudemire. He is playing hard right now, and he is super-athletic and a rare physical specimen, but he doesn't know how to play defense and he is a soft rebounder. I know that he is a top PF in the league, but I also think he's dedicated to the spotlights and money more than he is to rounding his game. He gets things done on the court, but he is just no my kind of power forward.

Just my 2 cents, I don't expect people to think about this the same way at all. I recognize that he is playing well, but I would never make him the cornerstone of my franchise.

knicksfan42
11-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Michael Redd definitely, 5th highest paid player in the NBA, while he doesn't earn as much as Lewis, he doesn't play at all. When was the last regular season game he played?

DitchDat
11-28-2010, 01:04 PM

edited it ;) don't want to rub people the wrong way

mjt20mik
11-28-2010, 01:14 PM
hiyadet turkoglu.

This.

blahblahyoutoo
11-28-2010, 01:16 PM
joe johnson is NOT worthy of a max contract.
so glad that he resigned with Atlanta instead of coming to NY.

*Silver&Black*
11-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Was this made right after the sucky Joe Johnson's Hawks beat the Mighty Amare's Knicks? Too bad Joe's 7/10/7 game was not as great as Wade's 3 point epic either.

DitchDat
11-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Was this made right after the sucky Joe Johnson's Hawks beat the Mighty Amare's Knicks?

yeah right after JJ's fabulous 3-for-15 shooting annihilated the Knicks !

No, because JJ doesn't deserve 400 billion dollars. He's a streaky shooting guard who doesn't get to the line and is not a true first option/team leader.

*Silver&Black*
11-28-2010, 01:38 PM
yeah right after JJ's fabulous 3-for-15 shooting annihilated the Knicks !

No, because JJ doesn't deserve 400 billion dollars. He's a streaky shooting guard who doesn't get to the line and is not a true first option/team leader.

Yeah, and we won. Your point? But I don't listen to someone who says 400 billion dollars. Amare doesn't deserve it either. While Joe prob isn't the best player on our team, atleast we know we have good players to make up for that crappy contract.

DitchDat
11-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Yeah, and we won. Your point? But I don't listen to someone who says 400 billion dollars. Amare doesn't deserve it either. While Joe prob isn't the best player on our team, atleast we know we have good players to make up for that crappy contract.

So a guy like Josh Smith, who is making up for JJ's struggles, might get traded away because the Hawks decided to shower their inefficient "superstar" shooting guard in cash, so that they don't have enough room to re-sign Lord Joe Johnson's "supporting cast" ?

knicksfan42
Yeah, and we won. Your point? But I don't listen to someone who says 400 billion dollars. Amare doesn't deserve it either.

Amare is overpaid, no doubt, but not nearly as much as Joe Johnson.

blahblahyoutoo

lol, by year 3, you'll be begging anyone to take his bloated contract off your books because this team cannot get out of the first round with the current roster.

blahblahyoutoo
11-28-2010, 01:59 PM
Amare is overpaid, no doubt, but not nearly as much as Joe Johnson.

reminds me of the allan houston contract.
but at least houston can shoot.

*Silver&Black*
11-28-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm already wanting someone to take Joe's contract. I didn't even want the Hawks to re-sign him. What I don't get is why this was posted right after they beat the team that Joe is being compared to? Kind of a hater thing to me.

DitchDat
11-28-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm already wanting someone to take Joe's contract. I didn't even want the Hawks to re-sign him. What I don't get is why this was posted right after they beat the team that Joe is being compared to? Kind of a hater thing to me.

honestly, I had to look up JJ's stat line, I didn't even know the Hawks had played against the Knicks.

His contract is just so-bad it's not even funny. He doesn't deserve that kind of cash.

drobe86
11-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Joe Johnsons a great player. If you put him on a contender he'd be even better..

Kutchie03
11-28-2010, 02:27 PM
He's still a top pf in the league. Not good at all? Cmon now. I know the guy is overpaid but show the man some respect.

imo, here's the current top 5 pfs in the league
1. Pau
2. Dirk
3. Love
4. Griffin
5. Bosh
i don't even consider amare a top pf anymore, his lack of defense and rebounding hurts him when you have guys like love and griffin that enter the league and work their ***** off on both ends of the court

PHX2daDEATH
11-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Joe Johnson was the perfect 3rd option on that 04-05 Suns team.. the guy could shoot from anywhere on the floor..I guess 100 million clouds your shooting touch or something. The Hawks would of been better off letting Johnson walk ..go out and get a top notch PG to go along with Big Al and J-Smooth.....I dont watch any knicks games but Amare is getting 2.2 blocks a game and the knicks are the top shot blocking team in the league yet I still see him getting criticized for his Defense...is he getting all his block coming over from the weak side or what?

Crackadalic
11-28-2010, 03:26 PM
1. Pau
2. Dirk
3. Love
4. Griffin
5. Bosh
i don't even consider amare a top pf anymore, his lack of defense and rebounding hurts him when you have guys like love and griffin that enter the league and work their ***** off on both ends of the court

How can this guy be even consider top 5 if he cant even rebound more then 7 boards as the only big on the team? Haslem average more in less minutes i know amare isnt any better but come on and as much as i like griffin i cant consider him top 5 if his team only has 3 wins his stats is somewhat inflated

NYYCowboys
11-28-2010, 03:48 PM
If I had a 100 million dollar to give to a player, it would not be Ama're Stoudemire. He is playing hard right now, and he is super-athletic and a rare physical specimen, but he doesn't know how to play defense and he is a soft rebounder. I know that he is a top PF in the league, but I also think he's dedicated to the spotlights and money more than he is to rounding his game. He gets things done on the court, but he is just no my kind of power forward.

Just my 2 cents, I don't expect people to think about this the same way at all. I recognize that he is playing well, but I would never make him the cornerstone of my franchise.

Why because you are a Celtics fan and are nervous that in a couple years when your players are in a nursing home the Knicks will be the best team in that division?

DitchDat
11-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Why because you are a Celtics fan and are nervous that in a couple years when your players are in a nursing home the Knicks will be the best team in that division?

why always so personal? Jesus Christ you can't even state your opinion :confused:

To answer you, I wouldn't make him the cornerstone of my franchise because you obviously want to play to your main man's strenghts. No-defense, all-offense gets you nowhere championship-wise.

NYYCowboys
11-28-2010, 04:10 PM
why always so personal? Jesus Christ you can't even state your opinion :confused:

To answer you, I wouldn't make him the cornerstone of my franchise because you obviously want to play to your main man's strenghts. No-defense, all-offense gets you nowhere championship-wise.

It wasn't personal because I didn't attack YOU, just trash talking about your team...

As far as my opinion is concerned I think Amare is a top big man in the league, and with the right pieces around him he could be a top player on a good team. Obviously I know he's got his flaws, but you have to understand the Knicks haven't had a player of his caliber probably since Patrick Ewing was around. I didn't mind overpaying to get him. If he starts to set a trend for players wanting to play for the Knicks, and if Melo wants to sign with the Knicks because Amare is also on the team I think his contract will be justified.

Becks2307
11-28-2010, 05:16 PM
1. Pau
2. Dirk
3. Love
4. Griffin
5. Bosh

HAHAHAHAH lol

Kevin Love, Blake Griffin and Chris Bosh are NOT better than Amare Stoudemire.

Boom.Boom
11-28-2010, 05:25 PM

cant be too sure. dont sleep on nets,raps,sixers

Boom.Boom
11-28-2010, 05:26 PM
HAHAHAHAH lol

i think bosh is the all around better player.

pistonsfanomg
11-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Joe Johnson going through problems right now cuz he got that stripper pregnant

Its hard to play like that

Becks2307
11-28-2010, 05:34 PM
i think bosh is the all around better player.

If Bosh, Griffin or Love were on the Knicks now instead of Amare, we would be 3-15, not 9-9

Super.
11-28-2010, 05:42 PM
If Bosh, Griffin or Love were on the Knicks now instead of Amare, we would be 3-15, not 9-9

Bosh, no. Any of those other guys? yes.

A'Mare is a top 5 PF and anyone who thinks otherwise is a hater. And I'm a Celtic fan

Boom.Boom
11-28-2010, 05:46 PM

bosh would do about the same with the knicks. he won 40 games with the raptors last year despite injuries and his mind being on 2010.

love or griffin would lead the knicks to a 1-17 record.

Becks2307
11-28-2010, 05:48 PM
bosh would do about the same with the knicks. he won 40 games with the raptors last year despite injuries and his mind being on 2010.

love or griffin would lead the knicks to a 1-17 record.

i doubt it, bosh is used to losing. Amar'e is a more fiery player and has leadership qualities. He called the knicks out after we dropped 6 straight and we have won 5 in a row on the road since. Im sorry but bosh is soft and better suited as a 2nd option on a team.

Boom.Boom
11-28-2010, 06:01 PM
i doubt it, bosh is used to losing. Amar'e is a more fiery player and has leadership qualities. He called the knicks out after we dropped 6 straight and we have won 5 in a row on the road since. Im sorry but bosh is soft and better suited as a 2nd option on a team.

thats not the point. bosh won 47,41,33,40, with a bad supporting cast. and amare seems like he's about to do the same with the knicks. you said knicks would only have 3 wins if bosh replaced him.

xabial
11-28-2010, 06:20 PM
reminds me of the allan houston contract.
but at least houston can shoot.

I dont mean to sound like a homer but .... Amar'e Mid-Range Jumpshot is one of his deadliest offensive weapons.

And hes shooting .556% (5-9) From 3 Point Land So Far. Not too bad through 18 games of the season.

AI4MVP
11-28-2010, 06:27 PM
most overrated player in the league BY FAR. I honestly would take Crawford over him

NYsFinest
11-28-2010, 06:48 PM
most overrated player in the league BY FAR. I honestly would take Crawford over him

Not sure how averaging 24 pts 9 boards and 2 blocks per game in November makes him overrated.

NYYCowboys
11-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Not sure how averaging 24 pts 9 boards and 2 blocks per game in November makes him overrated.

I think he means Joe Johnson.

Tony_Starks
11-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Same Joe Johnson who damn near had a triple double last night?

(kanye shrug)

NYsFinest
11-28-2010, 06:58 PM
I think he means Joe Johnson.

haha, the whole crawford thing makes a lot more sense that way

Boom.Boom
11-28-2010, 07:00 PM

joe johnson not amare. theres a reason he refrenced crawford.

OA SLAY
11-28-2010, 07:03 PM

He has come back from 2 major knee surgeries, dont ever doubt this man son!

phoenix_bladen
11-28-2010, 07:13 PM
whomever doesn't think amare is top 5 is an idiot!

the guy is better than bosh he's a better leader and he is tougher not a softie like bosh is

put amare on the heat he's a much better fit much better finisher

the guy is only 28 he can definitely improve his D it's already getting better

i'm glad the knicks didn't sign JJ he's overpaid!! sure he's a good player but not worth 120!!!!!

other than lebron i don't even think the knicks should have gotten any other free agent

amare is a good fit

wade is a bum he's already like 29 and bosh is soft and proves how overrated that guy is

the knicks have cap room next summer to sign a free agent and they're already looking like a pretty decent team 1 more max would put them over the top !!

( hello MELO!!)

Crackadalic
11-28-2010, 07:18 PM
whomever doesn't think amare is top 5 is an idiot!

the guy is better than bosh he's a better leader and he is tougher not a softie like bosh is

put amare on the heat he's a much better fit much better finisher

the guy is only 28 he can definitely improve his D it's already getting better

i'm glad the knicks didn't sign JJ he's overpaid!! sure he's a good player but not worth 120!!!!!

other than lebron i don't even think the knicks should have gotten any other free agent

amare is a good fit

wade is a bum he's already like 29 and bosh is soft and proves how overrated that guy is

the knicks have cap room next summer to sign a free agent and they're already looking like a pretty decent team 1 more max would put them over the top !!

( hello MELO!!)

as a knick fan i have to say that is dumb to say dwade is a bum he just isnt accustomed to playing with a player with a similar skillset he is still a top 5 player in the league and amare is outplaying bosh regardless if one is a 1st option or 3rd option

nystandup
11-28-2010, 07:19 PM
smh at people bashing amare. i mean really? have you seen him play this year? dudes an absolute beast one on one and downlow. IMO hes better than I expected and he is a great leader on the knicks

blahblahyoutoo
11-28-2010, 07:34 PM
1. Pau
2. Dirk
3. Love
4. Griffin
5. Bosh

Bosh doesn't defend or rebound either, and yet you have him in the top 5?
heck, he couldn't even carry a decent team in the raptors to the playoffs in the weak east.

blahblahyoutoo
11-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Joe Johnsons a great player. If you put him on a contender he'd be even better..

$20M+ good?

NYsFinest
11-28-2010, 07:38 PM
He has come back from 2 major knee surgeries, dont ever doubt this man son!

And eye surgery that was supposed to leave him blind

drobe86
11-28-2010, 07:39 PM
$20M+ good?

Yes sir.... He's worth every penny. Idk what the hate on him is.... Dude can dominate games, bu ttheir supporting cast is poor....

Boom.Boom
11-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Yes sir.... He's worth every penny. Idk what the hate on him is.... Dude can dominate games, bu ttheir supporting cast is poor....

smith, horford, crawford, bibby, m williams,

wtf are u smoking ?

blahblahyoutoo
11-28-2010, 07:45 PM
smh at people bashing amare. i mean really? have you seen him play this year? dudes an absolute beast one on one and downlow. IMO hes better than I expected and he is a great leader on the knicks

amare's been good so far this season, not great.
offensively, we know he has the tools. he's also been excellent on help defense when the perimeter guys lose their assignments.

however, his rebounding is suspect and his turnovers are hurting the team. any defender who watches replays should know what amare wants to do 15 ft away facing the basket- dribble drive to his right, stop and flip it in.

i sorta agree with the other guy who said he would not build around amare, but the knicks really didn't have any other options. so i also agree with you when you say the leadership and other intangibles he brings to the team might make him worth his contract.

drobe86
11-28-2010, 08:13 PM
smith, horford, crawford, bibby, m williams,

wtf are u smoking ?

Bibby's a guy and a defensive liability. Marvin Williams is Terrible lol... The question is what are you smoking?

Boom.Boom
11-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Bibby's a guy and a defensive liability. Marvin Williams is Terrible lol... The question is what are you smoking?

what about hte other 2 ? their allstar talents

bibby and williams are good role players.

pass the dutch !!

Bornknick73
11-28-2010, 08:43 PM
If over rated is 37 pts and 15 rebounds ill take it. I think he had a 39 and 12 earlier this year as well. Hes almost up to averaging a double double which would be the first of his career. Yes ill take that.

That's Amar'e!!!

P.s. Ask Steve Nash how overated STAT is, Im sure youre opinions will differ tremendously. And the Opinion of a 2x NBA MVP is certainly worth more than any amatuer opinion found in these forums!!

Duncan = Donkey
11-28-2010, 08:48 PM
If over rated is 37 pts and 15 rebounds ill take it. I think he had a 39 and 12 earlier this year as well. Hes almost up to averaging a double double which would be the first of his career. Yes ill take that.

That's Amar'e!!!

P.s. Ask Steve Nash how overated STAT is, Im sure youre opinions will differ tremendously. And the Opinion of a 2x NBA MVP is certainly worth more than any amatuer opinion found in these forums!!
:confused:

He is only averaging 8.2 rebounds. Thats not close.

Boom.Boom
11-28-2010, 09:00 PM
[QUOTE=Bornknick73;15721568] [QUOTE]If over rated is 37 pts and 15 rebounds ill take it. I think he had a 39 and 12 earlier this year as well. Hes almost up to averaging a double double which would be the first of his career. Yes ill take that.

That's Amar'e!!!

:laugh2:

Gideon
11-28-2010, 09:19 PM
:confused:

He is only averaging 8.2 rebounds. Thats not close.

After today he is up to about 23.5pts and 9reb.

mgeise
11-28-2010, 10:02 PM
HAHAHAHAH lol

Exactly. Amare has his flaws, but Kevin Love is not a go-to option, Blake Griffin cannot be considered better this soon in his career, and Bosh isn't the dynamic scorer that Amare is while possessing similar deficiencies on the defensive end and on the boards. Dirk and Pau are the only two power forwards I would take over Amare, playing at their current levels. Amare is overpaid, but is playing as well as could have been expected of him in NY and has helped this team to be competitive every night.

Boom.Boom
11-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Exactly. Amare has his flaws, but Kevin Love is not a go-to option, Blake Griffin cannot be considered better this soon in his career, and Bosh isn't the dynamic scorer that Amare is while possessing similar deficiencies on the defensive end and on the boards. Dirk and Pau are the only two power forwards I would take over Amare, playing at their current levels. Amare is overpaid, but is playing as well as could have been expected of him in NY and has helped this team to be competitive every night.

lolwut ?

and bosh is a better rebounder.

mgeise
11-28-2010, 10:08 PM
lolwut ?

Amare is a better scorer than Bosh. He can take over a game athletically in ways that Bosh cannot.

And I'll agree with you that Bosh is a better rebounder, but it's really not a significant difference IMO.

Boom.Boom
11-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Amare is a better scorer than Bosh. He can take over a game athletically in ways that Bosh cannot.

And I'll agree with you that Bosh is a better rebounder, but it's really not a significant difference IMO.

I'll agree with you that amare is a better scorer, but it's really not a significant difference IMO

RayRay
11-29-2010, 12:19 AM
lolwut ?

lol Amare is 10x better than Bosh. Bosh is nothing special, he's finally being exposed now that he's not on a garbage team where he can pad his stats. He's not a good rebounder. He's just lengthy so he'll pull down 8-10 uncontested rebounds a game, but won't get the dirty ones. He's not a dynamic scorer either, mostly a jump shooter. His low post game is weak. The guy's a soft player all around. people are just now starting to realize it. Ill take Lamar Odom over Bosh. They're basically the same player but Odom is much more versatile offensively.

blahblahyoutoo
11-29-2010, 12:34 AM
lol Amare is 10x better than Bosh. Bosh is nothing special, he's finally being exposed now that he's not on a garbage team where he can pad his stats. He's not a good rebounder. He's just lengthy so he'll pull down 8-10 uncontested rebounds a game, but won't get the dirty ones. He's not a dynamic scorer either, mostly a jump shooter. His low post game is weak. The guy's a soft player all around. people are just now starting to realize it. Ill take Lamar Odom over Bosh. They're basically the same player but Odom is much more versatile offensively.

agreed.
i don't know why he got so much attention this past summer and got lumped in with the other "max contract" players in the same sentence.
a lot of other sportscasters also called him out, saying he's not superstar level.

and to be fair, i don't feel amare is either, but amare > bosh.

NYsFinest
11-29-2010, 02:13 AM
lolwut ?

Except Amare is averaging almost 2 rebounds and 1 block more than Bosh per game. The fact that Bosh is a 3rd option shouldn't be an excuse since the Heat are very thin up front and lack rebounders. Amare has put up his numbers on great teams his whole career and continues to do so, while Bosh got his on a bad team and suddenly his numbers dip on a better one. Amare also gets the kind of rebounds that Bosh couldn't dream off, he is much more of a force in the paint.

ChI_ShIzzLe
11-29-2010, 02:20 AM
Who cares, neither deserved the contract they got. It'll come back to bite both teams in the *** in a couple years.

*Silver&Black*
11-29-2010, 02:44 AM

Supporting cast sucks? Yeah, sure. I would take a Joe-less Hawks team over a Dirk-less Mavs team anyday. Heck, Jamal, Smith and Horford can take the team as far with or without JJ.

If you like JJ so much, give us expirings and picks and he is all yours. Mavs is prob the only team left who could/would trade for Joe.

But yes. When JJ is hot, he is the best player on the court. But the reason why he is never talked about with Kobe for top 2 SGs (besides being on a team mainstream media doesn't talk about), he gets cold. And when he is cold, worst player on the court. When Josh Smith is sucking it up, atleast he can fall back on his skills of defending and shot blocking. When JJ is cold, he just keeps chucking up shots and running down the shot clock dribbling around like he is MJ.

Slimsim
11-29-2010, 02:49 AM
Landry fields is a better rebounder than both Bosh and Amare

Meatmypet
11-29-2010, 03:13 AM

I found that funny. And it's only funny because it's true. Lol.

DitchDat
11-29-2010, 03:59 AM

so true

Boom.Boom
11-29-2010, 09:05 AM

couldnt help yourself could you.

Duncan = Donkey
11-29-2010, 07:59 PM
After today he is up to about 23.5pts and 9reb.

No he isn't. He's up to 8.6 rebounds.

DitchDat
11-30-2010, 05:34 AM
I honestly thought at the very start of the season that Ama're might average only 6 rebounds. I'm just happy his rebounding at least hasn't gone down even further