PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jeter reportedly asked for $150 million

giants73756
11-27-2010, 04:01 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5852653

Derek Jeter's agent Friday denied a New York newspaper report that his client is seeking a six-year deal for about $25 million annually to return to the Yankees.

"The recently rumored terms of our contract proposal are simply inaccurate,'' agent Casey Close said in an e-mail to ESPN.com. Close declined to provide further details on the state of his negotiations with the club.

The New York Daily News, citing "sources close to the Jeter/Close camp,'' said Jeter's starting point in negotiations was six years and $150 million, and added that the All-Star shortstop hasn't budged from that $25 million a year figure.

A subsequent Newsday report characterized the six-year, $150 million report as excessively high, but provided no specifics on what Jeter is asking for in talks.

More On The Yankees

Want to get the scoop on everything in pinstripes? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog
Jeter's talks with the Yankees took several twists and turns before the Thanksgiving holiday. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Tuesday that the team has made a "fair and appropriate" offer, and suggested it was time for Jeter to explore his value on the open market.

"We understand his contributions to the franchise and our offer has taken them into account," Cashman told ESPNNewYork.com earlier this week. "We've encouraged him to test the market and see if there's something he would prefer other than this. If he can, fine. That's the way it works."

Several outlets have reported that the Yankees have made a three-year, $45 million offer to Jeter, whose .270 batting average and .340 on-base percentage this season were both career lows. Jeter did, however, score 111 runs, make the American League All-Star team and win his fifth career Gold Glove in balloting by the league's managers and coaches.

On Tuesday, the Yankees declined to offer Jeter salary arbitration. If the Yankees had offered arbitration, Jeter would have had the option to return to New York in 2011 for a one-year salary likely in excess of $20 million. Since the Yankees declined to make the offer, they won't be entitled to draft pick compensation if Jeter signs with another club as a free agent.

The mood in talks appeared to grow testier after Close was quoted in Sunday's Daily News as saying he was "baffled" by the team's negotiating strategy.

"I was certainly surprised," Cashman said Tuesday in regards to Close's use of the word "baffled." "There's nothing baffling about our position. We have actually gone directly face-to-face with Casey and Derek and been very honest and direct. They know exactly where we sit."

ryanph30
11-27-2010, 04:04 AM
:speechless: or :puke:

Not sure which is more fitting?

cantstopthee
11-27-2010, 04:14 AM
i highly doubt this is real... even if it is the yankees wouldn't even take that seriously.. jeter would of played his las game if he wont budge

More-Than-Most
11-27-2010, 04:20 AM
If I were the Yankees I would laugh at him and tell him to move on... What a joke.

misterd
11-27-2010, 04:21 AM
Jeter's agent has denied this is true.

The NYT is now reporting a lower figure - 23-24m for 4-5 years. This is better, but stilll ridiculous. We'll see if this figure gets denied as well.

C-ross12
11-27-2010, 04:33 AM
Cashman apparently has a good feeling his offer is and will be the best. Jeter is old and declining.. He has no leverage. I would hesitate to guess the next best off hed get would be 2 or 3 years in the range of 20 - 30 mil. I'd offer him 2/14.

Mc Lovin
11-27-2010, 04:55 AM
He's not going to get anywhere near that. If the Yankees won't give him that after all he did for that franchise than he won't get it from any other team either. He'll probably get a 4 year deal at most for between $65 million and $75 million and that's even too much for a SS his age but, I think the Yanks will give him that because of what he means to that team and franchise.

jmtapia
11-27-2010, 05:19 AM
if jeter did asked for this then :puke: jeter.....if the media made this up then :puke: media

natepro
11-27-2010, 07:32 AM
God, this still makes me laugh. :laugh2:

cambovenzi
11-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Its pretty funny how every few days the # he is rumored to be asking for jumps way up.
next week 200M?

Matt-the-great
11-27-2010, 08:33 AM
that is the going rate for utility infielders

Kinsm
11-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Depending on what rumors are to be believed...it sounds like he wants 4 years at 25 mill per and the Yankees are offering 3 years at 15 mill per.

Which side will budge?

Mochalman
11-27-2010, 09:24 AM
yankees need to pull their offer and let him walk.

YEDN90
11-27-2010, 09:35 AM
^ Agreed.

Ron!n
11-27-2010, 09:41 AM
I'd let him and maybe Mo go if I were the Yanks. Way too much money to tie up in 2 players.

davg31
11-27-2010, 09:49 AM
I believe this epitomises the vagaries in the market even if this deal were to be false. However, there's no doubt that Jeter's agent is exaggerating his market value as it seems to be Jeter's final contract hence a generous commission package for Casey Close seems like a major factor.

As a Yankees fan I cannot see the team without Jeter but with the recent revelations (albeit some forming out of the discretions of desperate reporters aiming to look admirable amongst their peers) I may be conceding to the fact that other avenues should be explored.

todu82
11-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Jeter's a great player but at 36 he's not getting 150 million over 6 years.

Fred
11-27-2010, 10:30 AM
If this is true, then it is truly laughable....he is not a top 5 SS any longer, let alone a top 5 player in the league and thus, he should get paid more than them....

...and, while they won't do it, they should let him test the waters and see that he isn't getting paid by anyone with a 9 figure salary request....hell, $45m is a lot to request based on his declining stature....

...last, MO is the one with leverge...there are a bunch of teams that would pay him for a year or two of his closing ability....

sep11ie
11-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Think about it, Jeter is seeing the Yanks offer Lee 6/140, he saw Alex get 10/300, he saw them spend 400+ million this last off season, so he thinks he has earned this kind of offer from the Yankees. I doubt he thinks any other team would give him anything close to that so hes trying to break the bank with the team that has overpaid players for years.

Hustla23
11-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Think about it, Jeter is seeing the Yanks offer Lee 6/140, he saw Alex get 10/300, he saw them spend 400+ million this last off season, so he thinks he has earned this kind of offer from the Yankees. I doubt he thinks any other team would give him anything close to that so hes trying to break the bank with the team that has overpaid players for years.
It's too bad that contracts are based on what you will give a team and not what you have done for them. If it worked that way, Barry Bonds should be out there making 8 figures.

YEDN90
11-27-2010, 11:23 AM
I'd let him and maybe Mo go if I were the Yanks. Way too much money to tie up in 2 players.

:laugh2:

Let the best closer in the history of this game walk? Its not like he's washed up, as of right now he's still the best closer in baseball.

Kenny Powders
11-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Imagine if the Yankees told him to get lost. What do you think he would get on the open market. My guess would be 2 years at $8 mil/season. What is he trying to prove. This is not doing much for his image.

Kenny Powders
11-27-2010, 11:32 AM

Let the best closer in the history of this game walk? Its not like he's washed up, as of right now he's still the best closer in baseball.

Maybe top 5.

Soria
Soriano
Bell
Wilson
Bailey
Rivera

theslick1
11-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Maybe top 5.

Soria
Soriano
Bell
Wilson
Bailey
Rivera

Soria is the only one on that list who deserves to be mentioned in the same breath with Rivera.

dynasty7961
11-27-2010, 11:44 AM

I think a combination of both of them works well. lol

YEDN90
11-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Maybe top 5.

Soria
Soriano
Bell
Wilson
Bailey
Rivera

Maybe top 5? Thanks for the laugh.

His numbers are comparable with Soria.

His numbers are comparable with Soriano, who had an ERA just under 3 as a closer last year.

He has a better ERA, ERA+, WHIP, etc than Bell.

Like Bell, his numbers are just better than Wilson.

Bailey has had a great young career, lets see him keep it up.

Try again.

mdlr52192
11-27-2010, 12:01 PM
:laugh:

eXpLiiCt
11-27-2010, 12:08 PM

Kenny Powders
11-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Maybe top 5? Thanks for the laugh.

His numbers are comparable with Soria.

His numbers are comparable with Soriano, who had an ERA just under 3 as a closer last year.

He has a better ERA, ERA+, WHIP, etc than Bell.

Like Bell, his numbers are just better than Wilson.

Bailey has had a great young career, lets see him keep it up.

Try again.

Maybe you are blinded bu your Yankee bias. Its alright I understand.

I am also taking into account that Rivera is probably going to sign a two year contract. He is, obviously, not going to be the same pitcher in two years.

Out of the 5 guys i mentioned, I would take Bailey, Soria and Soriano over him in a heartbeat. I would think long and hard about Bell and Wilson as well.

Try again. See I can type that and attempt to look cool as well.

m26555
11-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Maybe top 5.

Soria
Soriano
Bell
Wilson
Bailey
Rivera
That is absolutely ridiculous.

Kenny Powders
11-27-2010, 12:52 PM
That is absolutely ridiculous.

How so? The guy is al,most 41 years old. He is not going to last forever. I am not doubting the fact that Rivera is probably the greatest closer ever, but at 41, things have to start breaking down soon, unless he is a freak of nature.

I am NOT comparing their respective careers, I am stating that those are the other players I would mention in the same breath as Rivera. The only reason I put Wilson there is because of the WS, I will admit that.

BTW the list is in no particular order, I guess I should of mentioned that. Being a top 5 closer in baseball at the age of 40 is nothing to scoff at.

Sandman
11-27-2010, 01:00 PM

I got a few more

:crazy: :laugh:

I heard the 3 year / 45 mill offer and I thought, damn thats a lot of coin Jeter is asking for... then I realized that was the YANKS offer.

Jeters out his mind.

terriblemente69
11-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Whatta joke :laugh:

TheRuckus
11-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Whether it's Jeter or the Yankees who cave, this is going to be hilarious for me since I dislike them both.

It's win-win.

NYKNYGNYY
11-27-2010, 01:44 PM
hes talking about legacy??? he just ruined his own...

raps14
11-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Is he out of his mind?

Super.
11-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Whether it's Jeter or the Yankees who cave, this is going to be hilarious for me since I dislike them both.

It's win-win.

This

papipapsmanny
11-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Jeter is such a prick, his ego is a creature of its own

LAcowBOMBER
11-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Maybe you are blinded bu your Yankee bias. Its alright I understand.

I am also taking into account that Rivera is probably going to sign a two year contract. He is, obviously, not going to be the same pitcher in two years.

Out of the 5 guys i mentioned, I would take Bailey, Soria and Soriano over him in a heartbeat. I would think long and hard about Bell and Wilson as well.

Try again. See I can type that and attempt to look cool as well.

I can just make unfounded statements too. He will be the same pitcher in 2 years. He has shown absolutely no signs of slowing down. He may not be the same pitcher in 2 years, but there is nothing tangible that you can point to make the claim that he will fall off in 2 years.

Kenny Powders
11-27-2010, 03:50 PM
I can just make unfounded statements too. He will be the same pitcher in 2 years. He has shown absolutely no signs of slowing down. He may not be the same pitcher in 2 years, but there is nothing tangible that you can point to make the claim that he will fall off in 2 years.

History states that he will drop off. Theres been three pitchers who've recored more than 20 saves in a season after the age of 40: Dennis Eckersley, Trevor Hoffman, and Hoyt Wilhelm. But your right, I should say that the chances are GREAT that he will not be as good in two years time. I do have history on my side.

Funny the Yankees only want to offer him one year.

bringinwood
11-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Someone a statement made a statement close to this...

He should play for the Yankees for 1 dollar a year...

He should have it in his contract that he takes control of his own merchandise sales and gets the difference in season tickets sales after he retires opposed to his last season as a Yankee...

He would make more in one season than he would in his entire 6 yr 150 MM contract...

It would be close to the Star Wars memorabilia craze... George Lucas didn't make a dime after he sold the rights of Star Wars but, they let him have the promotional rights to Star Wars memorabilia...

George Lucas is nearly a billionaire for that decision....

So, based on his on-field production, no he isn't worth 150MM over 6 yrs...

I've said that he is worth 150MM to the Yankees and he would be as a janitor or bat boy... It doesn't matter what he does on the field, he is still worth that much to the Yankees...

Public Enemy #1
11-27-2010, 04:53 PM
This is just a beautiful thing to read. :laugh: Jeter is going to end up with the Yanks either way, unless he is that pissed off and signs with another team just to spite them. Doubt it happens, he wants his money and will get a close deal to what he is asking for. Sadly, I don't feel any remorse for the Yankees having to pay him this absurd amount of money.

GA16Angels
11-27-2010, 04:57 PM
I hope Jeter realizes he has no leverage in these negotiations. No way anyone is going to pay for him more than the Yankees. They could probably offer him 10 MIL and that's still the highest offer he'll probably get.

theslick1
11-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Maybe you are blinded by your Yankee bias. Its alright I understand.

Maybe you are blinded by your Yankee hate. Its alright I understand.

Why do you say it is "obvious" he won't be the same pitcher? Year in and year out, he continues to put up the same numbers.

hoggin88
11-27-2010, 05:11 PM

Why do you say it is "obvious" he won't be the same pitcher? Year in and year out, he continues to put up the same numbers.

A person does have to admit, people were saying Rivera would slow down several years ago.

BigBlueCrew
11-27-2010, 05:14 PM
I think Derek Jeter should get 1 million for every time a Mets fan has heard

Derek Jeter? that guy's got an edge!! tiene un edge!!

In that case he has earned every last dollar outta that 150 mil contract

bringinwood
11-27-2010, 05:35 PM
A person does have to admit, people were saying Rivera would slow down several years ago.

They said after Kubel hit that grand slam off him last year that he was finished....

Look how that turned out...

I hate admitting this, the guy is still one of the top 5 closers in baseball...

misterd
11-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Someone a statement made a statement close to this...

He should play for the Yankees for 1 dollar a year...

He should have it in his contract that he takes control of his own merchandise sales and gets the difference in season tickets sales after he retires opposed to his last season as a Yankee...

He would make more in one season than he would in his entire 6 yr 150 MM contract...

It would be close to the Star Wars memorabilia craze... George Lucas didn't make a dime after he sold the rights of Star Wars but, they let him have the promotional rights to Star Wars memorabilia...

George Lucas is nearly a billionaire for that decision....

So, based on his on-field production, no he isn't worth 150MM over 6 yrs...

I've said that he is worth 150MM to the Yankees and he would be as a janitor or bat boy... It doesn't matter what he does on the field, he is still worth that much to the Yankees...

Problem #1: The Yankees haven't the authority to do that.

Problem #2: Most of the money from merchandise is diveded among all the teams. In that regard, Jeter isn't giving the Yankees anything more than he's giving the other 29 teams in baseball.

Problem #3: The exception to #2 is merchandise sold at Yankee Stadium itself. If the Yankees aren't profiting from that merchandise they won't sell it, though they may be willing to rent Jeter the floor space to hock his merchandise. Of course he'd also need to hire his own employees.

misterd
11-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Its pretty funny how every few days the # he is rumored to be asking for jumps way up.
next week 200M?

Until now there have been no reports on what Jeter was asking - just people bullshitting and guessing. $150 was the first "leaked" amount, which resulted in the $92-120m "counter leak".

misterd
11-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Think about it, Jeter is seeing the Yanks offer Lee 6/140, he saw Alex get 10/300, he saw them spend 400+ million this last off season, so he thinks he has earned this kind of offer from the Yankees.

And he got it. Ten years ago.

Throughout the history of baseball, there have only been 2 contracts given that were larger than Jeter's, and those were both for Alex Rodriguez. And while everyone, including the Steinbrenners, recognizes how horrible ARod's last contract is, there is still every reason to believe that a "fair" contract SHOULD have paid him more than Jeter.

Quite frankly, I think Jeter should be apologizing to Albert Pujols for making twice what he does.

Jeffy25
11-27-2010, 08:43 PM
i highly doubt this is real... even if it is the yankees wouldn't even take that seriously.. jeter would of played his las game if he wont budge

I'm with this, this can't be real.

It would be outlandish to say the least to demand such a contract, and surely Jeter and his agent know better.

I could see them demanding more years than 3 though.

Mike Oxlong
11-27-2010, 08:54 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=309204&id=2076

He is still out of his mind.

majestic
11-27-2010, 09:02 PM

yea cause the yankees care about money

Swishalicious
11-27-2010, 09:04 PM
yea cause the yankees care about money

who doesn't?

zambo4president
11-27-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm with this, this can't be real.

It would be outlandish to say the least to demand such a contract, and surely Jeter and his agent know better.

I could see them demanding more years than 3 though.

Explanation?

Mell413
11-27-2010, 09:15 PM
I have no problem with him asking for it. I'd laugh if the Yanks gave it to him. That would be a lot of money to give to someone who MIGHT not outwar Darwin Barney

majestic
11-27-2010, 09:17 PM
who doesn't?

i was being sarcastic.. yankees will give jeter whtever he wants..

Mike Oxlong
11-27-2010, 09:19 PM

Isn't that good for baseball?

MelanconMadness
11-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Sign Mariano, let Jeter go

Swishalicious
11-27-2010, 09:44 PM

Doesn't mean the Yankees don't care about money... they spend more than anyone else, but they also make more than anyone else. They wouldn't spend more than anyone else IF they couldn't make more than they spend. Otherwise, they'd be in bankruptcy

SouljahPhil...
11-27-2010, 09:44 PM
I agree...

LeoYankee
11-27-2010, 10:11 PM
I can't understand what exactly takes so long in signing Mo or Andy.

How hard can that be and why does Andy have to do the Farve dance each year?

I need some news dangit !!!

LeoYankee
11-27-2010, 10:13 PM
It's sad when I can't wait to read the MLB rumors each morning.

Ok. I'm done venting.

Ron!n
11-27-2010, 11:12 PM

Except 20 million is a crazy amount to pay for a closer.

DwayneMVPwade
11-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Is Jeter crazy. If jeter is asking for that much money, he might as wll retire because no gm will give him that kind of money

JetsMetsNG
11-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Coming from a mets fan who has never liked the yankees...(and this is only my opinion if the reports are true)I have always had respect for Jeter...until now. He's showing that he doesn't care about the integrity of the game at this point and wants a contract based on what he's already been paid for. The yankees make deals that are bad for baseball...and he's going to take full advantage of them for that. This is a very rare case in which I will side with the Yankees' front office. Jeter is being ridiculous and is going to bring negative press to a legacy that hasnt been tarnished. Maybe this won't be a big deal if the reports arent true or a deal is worked out quickly, but it's just a shame. This deal should have been worked out way before he became a free agent so that this negative publicity is prevented. I hope the Yankees front office holds strong for the sake of the game.

oak2455
11-28-2010, 12:56 AM
Coming from a mets fan who has never liked the yankees...(and this is only my opinion if the reports are true)I have always had respect for Jeter...until now. He's showing that he doesn't care about the integrity of the game at this point and wants a contract based on what he's already been paid for. The yankees make deals that are bad for baseball...and he's going to take full advantage of them for that. This is a very rare case in which I will side with the Yankees' front office. Jeter is being ridiculous and is going to bring negative press to a legacy that hasnt been tarnished. Maybe this won't be a big deal if the reports arent true or a deal is worked out quickly, but it's just a shame. This deal should have been worked out way before he became a free agent so that this negative publicity is prevented. I hope the Yankees front office holds strong for the sake of the game.
Really from a Mets fan:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

zambo4president
11-28-2010, 12:57 AM
Jeter's hardly worth $60 Million. He's ego trippin if he expects that much. I love Jeter, he's one of my all-time favorite's but he's gotta be realistic and do what's best for the team.

theslick1
11-28-2010, 01:01 AM

Oh, yeah, I admit that. But the guy keeps on doing the same thing year after year. He throws the same pitch inning after inning and guys still can't hit it.

MattyG
11-28-2010, 01:02 AM
-

theslick1
11-28-2010, 01:02 AM

Yeah it is. He's asking for 18M and will probably get something south of that. It's still a lot, but he's hard to replace and he knows it.

Jeffy25
11-28-2010, 02:25 AM
Explanation?

I can see Jeter asking for a retirement plan, I know if I was him, I would be.

He certainly isn't going to be getting any more pay raises.

Swishalicious
11-28-2010, 03:13 AM
I think Jeter should take the Yankees offer and stop playing games...

Know what would be really funny though... we are all hating on Jeter so much nowadays, it would be awesome if Jeter had this amazing comeback year that was MVP worthy... but too bad its not gonna happen :(

theproof
11-28-2010, 03:32 AM
Only with Yankees would you see a ridiculous scenario like this......

Kenny Powders
11-28-2010, 04:53 PM

Fair enough. But no matter the team I still think a 41 year old closer is a risky thing.

And I apologize for using "obvious", it was the wrong choice of words. All I am saying is that a 40 year old pitcher is a rare thing, I think its safe to assume he will start to wear down. But I've been wrong before.

misterd
11-28-2010, 07:38 PM

Which he is not asking for. He is also not asking for $18m as has been reported.

MelanconMadness
11-28-2010, 09:04 PM
Id rather give the best closer in the game 18M for 2 seasons than a middle of the pack SS 23M for 6 years

avrpatsfan
11-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Id rather give the best closer in the game 18M for 2 seasons than a middle of the pack SS 23M for 6 years
I agree. Jeter is a lot more replaceable than Mariano. Heck you could get Scutatro and you would get pretty much even performance. Mediocre short stops are pretty easy to find.

blahblahyoutoo
11-28-2010, 10:26 PM
losing more and more respect for jeter as these negotiations continue.

misterd
11-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Yeah it is. He's asking for 18M and will probably get something south of that. It's still a lot, but he's hard to replace and he knows it.

They have denied asking for 18m, though they did confirm 2 years.

misterd
11-28-2010, 10:41 PM
losing more and more respect for jeter as these negotiations continue.

The problem is they haven't continued. They've stalled for the last week, and all we've had is dueling press leaks.

PurpleJesus
11-28-2010, 10:55 PM
no way jeter signs anywhere else. No team is going to offer him anything close the Yankees will. Whats the value in the open market for a SS of his caliber? 5 million a year? Yanks blow that away.

RTL
11-28-2010, 11:48 PM
Keith Law has Jeter in his top ten free agents list:laugh:

theslick1
11-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Keith Law has Jeter in his top ten free agents list:laugh:

Probably based on what he thinks Jeter will get and not necessarily on his actual on field value.

Double_R
11-29-2010, 04:23 PM
I see the Yankees treating this situation with a "this is a business" attitude and being like Jeter we made you rich as can be, now take the 3 year highly inflated deal, or go test the market and come back after you realize that not one club will give you anything close. I think then Jeter comes back with some hostility, but signs the 3 year deal. Or if he doesn't I think it hurts his rep more than the Yanks.

Klivlend
11-29-2010, 04:41 PM
haha! what a douche. he would.

Algmuskrats
11-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Idk what to even say to this...

ShinobiNYC
11-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Btw let's not undervalue Jeter(hard for me to say, I also think he is overrated). no way in hell should he earn 15+ million/year...But he did have a great season in 2009 where he was 2nd in MVP...So those who say he is not even worth 5M if we are based on 2010 yeah sure but if u add in how he performed on 2009(even on defense) and his marketing value then no just no, he is worth more...Much more if u are the Yankees.

PurpleJesus
11-29-2010, 09:14 PM
^^^but if you are the yankees, every big name free agent is worth a lot more.

Rylinkus
11-29-2010, 11:01 PM
^^^but if you are the yankees, every big name free agent is worth a lot more.

At least with other free agents they're bidding against other teams that have competitive offers on the table. Jeter wouldn't sniff the offer on the table from any other team.

Kenny Powders
11-29-2010, 11:12 PM
At least with other free agents they're bidding against other teams that have competitive offers on the table. Jeter wouldn't sniff the offer on the table from any other team.

Thats the thing. All the Yankees have to do is wait this one out. There is no way anyone matches the 15 mil per that they are offering. I figured Jeter would've been smart enough to realize that.

theslick1
11-30-2010, 04:06 AM
I think Jeter figured he would win the PR battle and force the Yankees to pay him like A-Rod. It's not working.

cambovenzi
11-30-2010, 04:14 AM
I think Jeter figured he would win the PR battle and force the Yankees to pay him like A-Rod. It's not working.

I cant really say i blame him for trying. even if its ridiculous. he might squeak out several more million for himself.

Kashmir13579
11-30-2010, 04:37 AM
yankees need to pull their offer and let him walk.

^ Agreed.

absolutely... i mean, why not? he's only the face of the Yankees and New York sports. no big deal to let him walk. plus, its not like the Yankees have deep pockets in a league with no salary cap. totally with ya bros. they should either pay him bottom dollar or let him walk.

:facepalm:

Mike Oxlong
11-30-2010, 04:57 AM
absolutely... i mean, why not? he's only the face of the Yankees and New York sports. no big deal to let him walk. plus, its not like the Yankees have deep pockets in a league with no salary cap. totally with ya bros. they should either pay him bottom dollar or let him walk.

:facepalm:

You aren't even from New York, that's what's sad....

misterd
11-30-2010, 10:14 AM
I cant really say i blame him for trying. even if its ridiculous. he might squeak out several more million for himself.

Unfortunately for Jeter, his image is his most valuable commodity. While the odds are any tarnishing from contract negotiations will be temporary, he could certainly be doing a better job of not making himself look clueless and greedy.

theslick1
11-30-2010, 02:21 PM

I don't blame him either. It's a negotiation, maybe the last of his career. Get what you can.