PDA

View Full Version : are the raptors.....

Boom.Boom
11-26-2010, 09:30 AM
better than we thought or overachieving at this point ? i know its still early but they're playing well.

The_905
11-26-2010, 10:09 AM
:facepalm:

who cares..

JasonJohnHorn
11-26-2010, 10:24 AM
I realize they are .500 over the last ten games, but they are still only 6-9. At this point, I would say they are still bound for the lottery. And I would say that even bottom feeders like the 76ers and the Clippers are better than the Raptors.

Hellcrooner
11-26-2010, 10:35 AM
maybe they got rid of some crap that was holding them down?

Mile High Champ
11-26-2010, 10:35 AM
I realize they are .500 over the last ten games, but they are still only 6-9. At this point, I would say they are still bound for the lottery. And I would say that even bottom feeders like the 76ers and the Clippers are better than the Raptors.

I think you have not been paying attention to the league of late than. The 76ers were beaten down twice in the last week by the Raptors.

AFlagRules
11-26-2010, 10:42 AM
2 words. Andrea Bargnani. Nuff said.

Hellcrooner
11-26-2010, 10:47 AM
if they had a proper center alowing bargnani to slide to Pf wich is his real position they would make the Playoffs.
Hope they grab one this offseason in the draft or Fa.

Madness23
11-26-2010, 10:50 AM
if they had a proper center alowing bargnani to slide to Pf wich is his real position they would make the Playoffs.

what you call Reggie Evans then ? he is a rebounding machine !! he may not be a pure center but hell he is playing like one :D

Boom.Boom
11-26-2010, 11:05 AM

who cares..

obviously you do, since u took the time to post :facepalm:

Boom.Boom
11-26-2010, 11:06 AM

marc gasol maybe that would be awesome. that would be asweome for them.

pebloemer
11-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Probably better than the "basketball world" thought. They've certainly been playing better than I expected they would as a fan. They'll still have to maintain this level of energy and consistency most nights in order to scratch their way into the playoffs, but it is encouraging to see them winning off hard work, rather than taking anything for granted.

koreancabbage
11-26-2010, 11:31 AM
they beat the Magic and Celtics during this stretch. isn't it all that matters? =P means that Celtics and Magic are beatable by piss-poor teams like the Raptors lol

somewhere, a guy playing Proline is screaming for joy lol

Polandice
11-26-2010, 11:32 AM

The 76ers and the Clippers are better than the Raps??? What are you on drugs?
Two of the Raptors wins are against the 76ers.
They have beaten Orl and Bos (the top 2 teams in the East) and hung in there against Mia and LAL.

Sure this isn't the most talented team, but they are a quick, athletic, youthful bunch of players.

I picked them to be anywhere from 6-10 in the East and I still think that is where they are slated to finish.
If the energy and effort is there more nights than not then they will be a playoff team

torontosports10
11-26-2010, 11:41 AM
I thought we would suck, to be honest kinda hoped we would so we could draft Harrison Barnes.

But the team is full of young athletic talent and good long-range shooters. AB7 is showing why he was taken 1st overall, and now get the minutes and time to develop his defensive game. Reggie Evans is doing awesome at getting us rebounds on both sides of the ball.

Im not saying we are going to make the playoffs, or even finish close to .500, but we will not be a lay down team. The young guys work hard, have swagger and know this is their chance to grow as a team, not around 1 player on a team.

Toronto_Fan
11-26-2010, 11:46 AM
This year's squad has been a pleasure to watch.

Buncha young athletic kids that like to get up and down the court.
Jerryd Bayless will only help this cause. I really like his attitude. Seems like a good humble smart kid.

It will be interesting to see if BC's continuing experiament of meshing of the young athletic american players (Amir, Sonny, Demar, Dorsey, Bayless, etc.) with the older International players (Baragni, Jose, Peja, Kleiza, Barbosa) will flourish.

These 2 cliques on the team are clearly at different maturity levels (on and off the court for sure).

This team hinges on Bargani's improvement in the post, bottom line.
Some nights he's good, but other nights he looks so awkward and out of sync.

Time will tell.

pistonsfanomg
11-26-2010, 11:49 AM

who cares..
lol

DaoudS
11-26-2010, 11:52 AM
They are over achieving and it has been a pleasant surprise to see them not quit (minus the Wizards game). I am still expecting them to finish in the bottom five of the league, but there are many other bad teams in the East that could prevent them from doing that.

Tha Truth
11-26-2010, 12:34 PM
They are very entertaining to watch so far this year and they have been playing the games with a lot of effort. They have been in every game (except a couple). As a Raptors fan I have been pleased with this team so far.

MurderousPress
11-26-2010, 01:08 PM
This year's squad has been a pleasure to watch.

Buncha young athletic kids that like to get up and down the court.
Jerryd Bayless will only help this cause. I really like his attitude. Seems like a good humble smart kid.

It will be interesting to see if BC's continuing experiament of meshing of the young athletic american players (Amir, Sonny, Demar, Dorsey, Bayless, etc.) with the older International players (Baragni, Jose, Peja, Kleiza, Barbosa) will flourish.

These 2 cliques on the team are clearly at different maturity levels (on and off the court for sure).

This team hinges on Bargani's improvement in the post, bottom line.
Some nights he's good, but other nights he looks so awkward and out of sync.

Time will tell.

Not that it matters, but Bosa is from Brazil, which is in south America, not Europe.

In terms of BC's experiment, I'm not so sure this is what he is trying to achieve. I think he has realized that European players are valuable, but you still need gritty, athletic American players on your team. I say he will move Peja and maybe even Jose. Although I would love to keep Jose around and see what he can do with the right pieces, dude just needs to push the ball more.

td0tsfinest
11-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Not that it matters, but Bosa is from Brazil, which is in south America, not Europe.

Not that it matters, I don't think he mentioned Barbosa as a European, said International. :D

Anyways, this team has been fun. Minus the wizards game, the team has played with a lot of heart and determination all season long. They maybe overachieving but for a fan base who constantly read that their team will be the worst in the league, it's pleasantly nice to see that this team isn't. Raptors may not make the playoffs but I think they're far from being a bottom 5 team in the nba.

Wray77
11-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Hahaha and you no know the difference between "international" and "european" right?

MurderousPress
11-26-2010, 01:22 PM
I stand corrected, didn't mean to sound pompous or anything their. I must be overtired.

Sadds The Gr8
11-26-2010, 01:26 PM
The Raptors are too nasty...

RAPS 4 LYFE

MurderousPress
There*...dammit

SouthSideRookie
Besides the obvious top elite teams of the east, many of the middle to bottom teams are brutal. I honestly think that the Spain team would be a playoff team in the east.

tredigs
11-26-2010, 01:33 PM
It's too bad that Amir Johnson finds himself in foul trouble during the first 3 minutes he's in of every game, because his game oozes with potential. I really wish he'd figure that little situation of his out.

Hustlenomics
11-26-2010, 01:46 PM
since when was being under .500 a good thing

Boom.Boom
11-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Besides the obvious top elite teams of the east, many of the middle to bottom teams are brutal. I honestly think that the Spain team would be a playoff team in the east.

they'd be probably be one of the best teams in the league.

BluejaysFan08
11-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Yeah what are you saying Spain would dummy a lot of teams.

DaoudS
11-26-2010, 03:17 PM

they'd be probably be one of the best teams in the league.

quoted for truth! Rubio and the Gasol brothers alone would be enough be playoff team. You add on tremendous chemistry, solid fundamentals and amazing role players and you have a legit contender.

smith&wesson
11-26-2010, 03:34 PM

preferably marc gasol :o

but evans has been doing a great job. beasting on the boards. he is averaging like 12 a game right now
so bargs really has been playing out on the perimiter more and scoring. i dont know if thats enough
to get us in the play offs.

but the raps are on a 4 game win streak. lets see if we can make it five vs the cetlics tonight.
we beat them once they are probably out to hurt us tonight though lol

LanceUpperCut
11-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Were not great but it's funny how everyone thinks the loss of Bosh and Hedo makes us so much worse. With are young guys getting an extra year and all the additions like LK,Barbosa, healthy Reggie and a bigger role for Bargnani we could beat last years team 3 out of 4 times.

Kinglorious
11-26-2010, 04:15 PM

who cares..

I care. Dude, I'm ashamed to be from the same area code as you. Don't be so pessimistic, no good can come of it. :facepalm: @ you.

The_905
11-26-2010, 04:34 PM
A 6-9 Eastern Conference team is not NBA forum worthy and considering that 95% of the posts in the thread are from Raptors fans proves no one outside of Canada cares..

Kinglorious
11-26-2010, 04:43 PM
A 6-9 Eastern Conference team is not NBA forum worthy and considering that 95% of the posts in the thread are from Raptors fans proves no one outside of Canada cares..

Then enlighten me, fellow Canadian. Tell me why the thread starter has an avatar of the Lakers, and why its says California next to Location: ? :eyebrow:

LanceUpperCut
11-26-2010, 04:47 PM

But of course you had to take the time to jump in and say somthing stupid.:clap:

netsgiantsyanks
11-26-2010, 04:50 PM
I care. Dude, I'm ashamed to be from the same area code as you. Don't be so pessimistic, no good can come of it. :facepalm: @ you.

damn. i didnt know so many people lived in jurassic park these days. :rolleyes:

netsgiantsyanks
11-26-2010, 04:51 PM

im dying to know who you're a fan of.

Kinglorious
11-26-2010, 04:52 PM
damn. i didnt know so many people lived in jurassic park these days. :rolleyes:

Lol, we're still a thriving community.

Mayweather&NYK
11-26-2010, 05:16 PM
The knicks deserve a thread like this before tha raptors do...we are 8-8 winning 5 in a row....

tied for second longest win streak in the nba with the lakers
and 1.5 games out of the 4 seed in the eastern conference.....

with a MUCH HIGHER CEILING THAN THE RAPTORS!

DaoudS
11-26-2010, 05:18 PM
The knicks deserve a thread like this before tha raptors do...we are 8-8 winning 5 in a row....

No doubt, but the Raptors coming into the season were projected to be dead last in nearly every category. Where as the Knicks, were projected to be a playoff team. So Raptors have out performed their expectations, while the Knicks are on the path to achieving theirs.

Boom.Boom
11-26-2010, 05:20 PM

umm. no. knicks are doing what they're suppose to do. a barley above .500 basketball club.

i dont get the higher ceiling thing, unless you guys sign some free agents the knicks seem to be screwed for years to come, paying amare 100 mill and having no picks for a long time.

im just surprised cause everyone was saying raps were gonna be dead last, and have a new jers nets type season.

Mayweather&NYK
11-26-2010, 05:29 PM
umm. no. knicks are doing what they're suppose to do. a barley above .500 basketball club.

i dont get the higher ceiling thing, unless you guys sign some free agents the knicks seem to be screwed for years to come, paying amare 100 mill and having no picks for a long time.

im just surprised cause everyone was saying raps were gonna be dead last, and have a new jers nets type season.
esses

Fair enough... for now. With Kelenna Azibuike returning next week it should only better our standing in the conference, whereas the raptors are only 1 game off from being the 2nd worst team in the east. This is what i meant by we have a higher ceiling they are 6-9 followed by, 5-9, 5-10, 5-10, 5-10, and 3-12.... i think this thread is premature

dtmagnet
11-26-2010, 05:34 PM
If they keep overachieving, the East is weak enough that they could sneak into the playoffs. They also still have Peja's expiring and the Bosh TPE to use if they can get a good player for one of those.

xbrackattackx
11-26-2010, 05:36 PM

Fail.

Your Homerism is hanging out.

Dré
11-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Lol, come on guys, the Raps are currently boasting -1.33 efficiency diff, that's very telling of what they are (considering we're more than ten games in). They're looking like a 30+ win team, if they can get it to zero or above they can realistically start thinking about finishing at or above .500.

They're by no means good, but they're hardly an illusion. They look legit, I mean compare to GS or Phoenix (two teams right outside of .500) with worse differentials than the Raptors.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Milwaukee's not as bad as they've looked, at least if we look at efficiency differential.

Sly Guy
11-26-2010, 05:46 PM
If they keep overachieving, the East is weak enough that they could sneak into the playoffs. They also still have Peja's expiring and the Bosh TPE to use if they can get a good player for one of those.

won't happen. Regardless of record, this is still a rebuilding team. They aren't buyers come the trade deadline, they're looking for the long term, not a playoff run.

That being said, I think this thread is premature myself. I'm happy with what I'm seeing from my boys in red in both wins and losses, but a thread like this should be started if we're still flirting with .500 in january of later.

netsgiantsyanks
11-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Fail.

and its pretty big too

Mayweather&NYK
11-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Fail.

well thought out response....:eyebrow:
numbers dont lie....and no homerism doesn't play into it. Speaking of teams that have been less than mediocre in the yrs past, like the knicks and the raps for example.... and the prospect of grading teams overall performance up to date in terms of expectations, I honestly believe the Knicks are more deserving of a thread like this. We get no respect from majority of posters, we get no respect from espn, and other major sports outlets. When we signed Amare this summer he was judged as less than a consolation prize because of his "knee issues" and "lack of defensive ability" while currently the knicks are number 1 the in the league in shots blocked, last game Amare himself had 6. We draft in the 2nd round a rookie named Landry Fields who is top 5 if not top 3 in most rookie ceiling polls, still no respect. out of our 8 lossed 4 came by less than 5 points all to playoff teams and another one by blowing a 2nd half 21 point lead. So we could possibly be looking at a 5 game swing which would have our record potentially at 13-4, this is a team that has 10 new players still building chemistry together... not a young team with a couple yrs under their belt starting to gel. Still we get no respect, or not even credit for and up to date progress report. All in all, I am not bashing the raps.. I do believe they have a plethora of young potential, but being only 1 game off from the second worst record in the east, is not deserving of a thread like this.

my opinion...:)

Boom.Boom
11-26-2010, 06:16 PM
my reason for being surprised is cause their roster looks bad. it can be argued that the whole starting lineup of toronto shouldnt even be starting . maybe with the exception of bargnani.

DaoudS
11-26-2010, 06:23 PM
my reason for being surprised is cause their roster looks bad. it can be argued that the whole starting lineup of toronto shouldnt even be starting . maybe with the exception of bargnani.

yup, very hard to disagree with that statement. They are all heart right now - it remains to be seen how strong that heart when 70% of the season is over.

mjt20mik
11-26-2010, 06:42 PM

Ceiling this season yes. You guys do deserve some recognition for the winning streak your putting together. But it is more impressive for a team like the Raptors (who really don't have any all star caliber player) to be winning.

king4day
11-26-2010, 06:48 PM
6-9 overachieving?

BALLER R
11-26-2010, 06:54 PM
rough road trip to start the season and we are suppose to win under 30 games so looking at a 6-9 record after 15 games i would say we're on a good pace and we're improving

dtmagnet
11-26-2010, 06:57 PM
6-9 overachieving?

Considering they started like 1-8 or something, and everyone picked them to be bottom 3 in the league this year.

DaoudS
11-26-2010, 07:02 PM
6-9 overachieving?

Team started 2-9, so a four win streak including wins over Orlando in Orlando and over Boston with just 8 active players does hold some sort of moral victory.

Mayweather&NYK
11-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Ceiling this season yes. You guys do deserve some recognition for the winning streak your putting together. But it is more impressive for a team like the Raptors (who really don't have any all star caliber player) to be winning.

I know what you mean but, in the nba any team on any given night can win. I believe this would be thread worthy had the raptors cracked the top 8, or even .500, but the record as stands is 6 wins 9 LOSSES. (sorry for the emphasis) but in my opinion the raptors are performing as expected.... you still have Bargnani, you still have jose Calderon and Derozan.... you make it seem as though losing Hedo who was a non factor and Bosh... leaves you with no one. Barnani has the green light, which is what hes always wanted, and you have a young prospect in Derozan who every team would love to have and Calderon who is a starter PG in this league. The Raptors will win a few games but lose most, which is what the current record indicates.

Mayweather&NYK
11-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Team started 2-9, so a four win streak including wins over Orlando in Orlando and over Boston with just 8 active players does hold some sort of moral victory.

agreed. Great boost in team moral... but does that mean this team is better than expected? I would say no

HoopsMachine
11-26-2010, 07:05 PM
My expectation is still that they will be out of the playoffs, but they are playing well together, competing, and the young talent are stepping their game up. If they can grab a decent PG in the draft and sign//trade for a solid C (Gasol or Gortat) they will definitely be a playoff team next season.

DaoudS
11-26-2010, 07:05 PM
agreed. Great boost in team moral... but does that mean this team is better than expected? I would say no

I will agree to disagree on that. The team by no means is a playoff team in my books, but is certainly better than what I gave them credit for at the beginning of the season.

Mayweather&NYK
11-26-2010, 07:07 PM
My expectation is still that they will be out of the playoffs, but they are playing well together, competing, and the young talent are stepping their game up. If they can grab a decent PG in the draft and sign//trade for a solid C (Gasol or Gortat) they will definitely be a playoff team next season.

:clap:

I think this is as realistic as one can be. I believe you guys have a high chance to land Harrison Barnes or even Terrance Jones which would immediately put you guys back into NBA relevance the same way John Wall did for thie Wizards

Mayweather&NYK
11-26-2010, 07:11 PM
I will agree to disagree on that. The team by no means is a playoff team in my books, but is certainly better than what I gave them credit for at the beginning of the season.

I think the raps are overacheiving as much as the Rockets are underacheiving, but I could be wrong if they keep it up.

eXpLiiCt
11-26-2010, 07:20 PM
there 6-9 what the **** is wrong with you

JJ81
11-26-2010, 07:26 PM
I really hope the Raptors and the Cavs do better than Miami!

jetsforever
11-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Uh.... sadly they are not doing that great. Recently hasn't been too bad and hopefully they can keep it alive. But its not like they have been dominating teams.

They will continue to be mediocre and miss the playoffs. Sucks but they just are not that good. Even more sad is that they are probably the best team in all of Toronto sports

DaoudS
11-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Uh.... sadly they are not doing that great. Recently hasn't been too bad and hopefully they can keep it alive. But its not like they have been dominating teams.

They will continue to be mediocre and miss the playoffs. Sucks but they just are not that good. Even more sad is that they are probably the best team in all of Toronto sports

I grew up in NY so am a Yankee fan, but Blue Jays are looking like the best Toronto franchise.

IversonIsKrazy
11-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Chris Bosh is overrated, it's that simple. There not going to be one of the **** bottom teams, there going to be a team just missing the playoffs. Bosh had a lot of offense surrounding him, were young and athletic with nothing to lose, were winning 30+ games, and not finishing bottom 4 in East, that I can guarentee.

Raph12
11-26-2010, 09:06 PM
They just want to prove that they can lose respectively without Bosh, like they used to with him...

jon32
11-26-2010, 09:30 PM
they were great with bosh , they're not bad without him.

HoopsDrive
11-27-2010, 03:57 AM

Huh?

nstojic
11-27-2010, 04:00 AM

:laugh::clap:

as a raps fan, i'd argue that we were barely scratching the surface of 'good', with him.... but i guess everyone has their own definition of 'great'...

Geargo Wallace
11-27-2010, 04:21 AM
:laugh::clap:

as a raps fan, i'd argue that we were barely scratching the surface of 'good', with him.... but i guess everyone has their own definition of 'great'...

this.

todu82
11-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Yeah Toronto's been playing good as of late but I think they'd be a better team if Bosh was still there. Be interesting to see what Peja and Bayless do with the team.

Sly Guy
11-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Don't worry, we've got a tall task to remain relevant this year now that Reggie's broken his foot.

MackSnackWrap
11-27-2010, 12:15 PM
there doing ok... The win against boston was big but still a record of 6-10 isnt great. Reggie Evans injury isnt going to help.