PDA

View Full Version : Early season awards

bbcmillionaire
11-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Self explanitory. Name your award winners

MVP

Derrick rose/Chris Paul/rondo/Dwight Howard/pau gasol/
Yeah yeah, he picked rose. He's a homer, this is another Derrick rose thread. I know all the b.s. I'll hear for having rose as the early season MVP, but I will not defer to the to the masses of psd rose haters. I mean stats don't lie.
Actually any of the 5 players I named could win the MVP award(so far) and it wouldn't be absurd.

M.I.P(most improved player)
Beasly/Paul milsap/Noah/Shannon brown/Lamar odom

Beasly seems to be coming around as a threat, and I feel he deserves it at this point in the season. He was the 2nd overall pick and and got traded for a 2nd round pick. Again all these players have improved thier game enough to win this award, thus far. Also I believe darko millicic is a sixth canidate for the award.

Coach of the year
I got 1 clear cut canidate here, Monty williams. He literally came out of nowhere as a rookie coach and it seems he outcoaches many of the veteran coaches. Let's be honest, he's coaching a team full of castoffs(and a superstar in Paul) into a top team.

Defensive player of the year
Dwight/noah/rondo/westbrook/Josh smith
I got Dwight penciled in for this one, but you can't go wrong with any of these guys winning the award

Rookie of the year
Sorry wall fans but Blake griffin has been beasting so far. Now I don't condone the "greg oden"rule(if a rookie gets hurt for a whole season, he is eligable for rookie status next year) but Blake deserves the award but hey it's a long season

6th man of the year
Shannon brown/????????

Im sorry but he's the only person off the bench that seems right at the moment. Feel free to correct me on this one

Ok discuss, debate, make your case for the awards but these are mines

ko8e24
11-25-2010, 04:48 PM
MVP: Kobe Bryant

MIP/6th Man: Shannon Brown

Hawkeye15
11-25-2010, 04:51 PM
MVP- Paul. He is back and has his team right near the top. D12 right behind him.
MIP- Love. Leading the league in rebounding by a wide margin, and scoring 19 a game basically
COY- I will continue to say Jerry Sloan until the mofo gets what he deserves
DPOY- D12. Nobody has the effect on the floor that Dwight does
ROY- what's his name from the Clippers. The guy with the decent vertical
6th man- I really don't have an opinion on this one yet

kArSoN RyDaH
11-25-2010, 05:03 PM
MVP- Paul. He is back and has his team right near the top. D12 right behind him.
MIP- Love. Leading the league in rebounding by a wide margin, and scoring 19 a game basically

this pretty much.

although i will take Shannon Brown as 6th man of the year. He's carried the lakers bench when kobe goes out.

and ill say Dwight is a close 2nd for MVP with Kobe behind him.

Gators123
11-25-2010, 05:05 PM

Agree.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kobe wins MVP though.

Hawkeye15
11-25-2010, 05:16 PM
this pretty much.

although i will take Shannon Brown as 6th man of the year. He's carried the lakers bench when kobe goes out.

and ill say Dwight is a close 2nd for MVP with Kobe behind him.

Shannon Brown I have no issue with in the slightest. I just haven't paid enough attention to the 6th man race this year, so I don't have a selection right now

Hawkeye15
11-25-2010, 05:17 PM
I think I have been saying Jerry Sloan for COY for 15 years now haha.
Listen to me NBA!

kArSoN RyDaH
11-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Shannon Brown I have no issue with in the slightest. I just haven't paid enough attention to the 6th man race this year, so I don't have a selection right now

Neither have I. LOL! Just been watching Shannon do work. :p

Avenged
11-25-2010, 05:21 PM
MVP: CP3
MIP: Love
ROY: Griffin
6th man: Shannon??

The MVP and MIP race are really tight at the moment.

kArSoN RyDaH
11-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Listen to me NBA!

it's usually one of those coaches who takes his team from zero to hero type of awards. otherwise coaches like phil jackson, doc rivers, jerry sloan, george karl would win it every year.

edit: and popovich ;)

Hawkeye15
11-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Neither have I. LOL! Just been watching Shannon do work. :p

All I got is Corey Brewer. :hide:

m26555
11-25-2010, 05:25 PM
All I got is Corey Brewer. :hide:
Glen Davis and Jamal Crawford have been playing well.

Raph12
11-25-2010, 05:25 PM
MVP - Dwight - Most consistent of the top 5 candidates, he'll be putting up 22-12-2-1-3 all season while the Magic finish atop the East
MIP - Love/Millsap/Hibbert/McGee - All playing outstandingly, it will depend on who can maintain that high level of play
COY - SVG - When the Magic finish with the best record in the East, he'll get the recognition that he deserves
DPOY - Dwight - Continues to dominate teams on defense, leads the league in DRAT, DWS and team's DRAT
ROY - Wall - Griffin is definitely more exciting, but I can't look the other way on the Clipps' record
6th man - Odom - Playing at a high level and will go back to the bench after Bynum's return

kArSoN RyDaH
11-25-2010, 05:26 PM
MVP - Dwight - Most consistent of the top 5 candidate, he'll be putting up 22-12-2-1-3 all season while the Magic finish atop the EastMIP - Love/Millsap/Hibbert/McGee - All playing outstandingly, it will depend on who can maintain that high level of play
COY - SVG - When the Magic finish with the best record in the East, he'll get the recognition that he deserves
DPOY - Dwight - Continues to dominate teams on defense, leads the league in DRAT, DWS and team's DRAT
ROY - Wall - Griffin is definitely more exciting, but I can look the other way on the Clipps' record
6th man - Odom - Playing at a high level and will go back to the bench after Bynum's return

if that happens then i will have no problem giving him the MVP.

Hawkeye15
11-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Glen Davis and Jamal Crawford have been playing well.

oh, the usual suspects will show up for sure

Hawkeye15
11-25-2010, 05:28 PM
and nobody can possibly think I am serious about Corey Brewer...
The man is terrible

m26555
11-25-2010, 05:29 PM
and nobody can possibly think I am serious about Corey Brewer...
The man is terrible
Well, the 2.1 steals per game are certainly impressive. The 36% shooting? Not so much.

Avenged
11-25-2010, 05:32 PM
If Shannon continues his recent high level of play, he actually has a chance to get MIP or 6th man.. [maybe both? ;)]

Minimal
MVP - Chris Paul
MIP - Paul Millsap
COY - Monti Williams
DPOY - Josh Smith
ROY - Blake Griffin
6th man - Lamar Odom

Minimal
MVP - Chris Paul
MIP - Paul Millsap
COY - Monti Williams
DPOY - Josh Smith
ROY - Blake Griffin
6th man - Lamar Odom

Hawkeye15
11-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Well, the 2.1 steals per game are certainly impressive. The 36% shooting? Not so much.

with those 2.1 steals a game come missed assignments and bonehead plays. Last night, he went for a steal at midcourt on Manu, and completely missed, allowing Manu to gain steam and finish a 3 point play that brought the Spurs within 1 with a minute to go.
Brewer will make you jump out of your seat, then scratch your head, all within 30 seconds.

kingbrentg
11-25-2010, 05:36 PM
MVP - Chris Paul
MIP - Roy Hibbert, Kevin Love, Eric Gordon, Luis Scola, Derrick Rose. Hard to choose here so far.
COY - Greg Popovich
DPOY - Dwight Howard
ROY - Blake Griffin
6th man - Al Harrington, Ben Gordon, Wilson Chandler

Avenged
11-25-2010, 05:36 PM
How about Darko for defensive player of the year? :laugh2:

.. I'm being serious.. He's averaging more blocks per game than Dwight and blocking at a higher %. He really seems to have made an improvement this season.

Raph12
11-25-2010, 05:37 PM
if that happens then i will have no problem giving him the MVP.

Well I think that at some point Boston will go on a bad stretch like they did last year and Orlando will take em over. Keep in mind that the Magic finished 2nd in the league to only the Cavs last season (59-23)... What people haven't realized is that we're missing most of our shots, we're beating teams with our defense and mostly just Dwight's offense, when we start clicking, watch out.

Hawkeye15
11-25-2010, 05:37 PM
How about Darko for defensive player of the year? :laugh2:

.. I'm being serious.. He's averaging more blocks per game than Dwight and blocking at a higher %. He really seems to have made an improvement this season.

the Wolves will need to finish in the top half of team defense for that to happen. Currently they are 30th....

But yes, he has been awesome. He is a game changer on that end.

John Walls Era
11-25-2010, 05:39 PM
MVP: Rajon Rondo
MIP: Andrea Bargnani
ROY: Blake Griffin

kArSoN RyDaH
11-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Well I think that at some point Boston will go on a bad stretch like they did last year and Orlando will take em over. Keep in mind that the Magic finished 2nd in the league to only the Cavs last season (59-23)... What people haven't realized is that we're missing most of our shots, we're beating teams with our defense and mostly just Dwight's offense, when we start clicking, watch out.

yea but boston in a 7 game series is still as deadly as any team in the nba. i hope you guys start clicking so the east can absolutely just tear each other apart in the playoffs! LMAOOO! :p

kingbrentg
11-25-2010, 05:43 PM
with those 2.1 steals a game come missed assignments and bonehead plays. Last night, he went for a steal at midcourt on Manu, and completely missed, allowing Manu to gain steam and finish a 3 point play that brought the Spurs within 1 with a minute to go.
Brewer will make you jump out of your seat, then scratch your head, all within 30 seconds.

Sounds like James Johnson and Tyrus Thomas in the past for the Bulls. Except instead of head scratching, it's more like screaming, throwing ****, and calling them dumbasses.

Raph12
11-25-2010, 05:45 PM
yea but boston in a 7 game series is still as deadly as any team in the nba. i hope you guys start clicking so the east can absolutely just tear each other apart in the playoffs! LMAOOO! :p

Agreed, but that'll have no effect on the MVP choosing, Dirk was eliminated in the 1st round and still won it... Btw I hope Boston plays Atlanta, Chitown or Miami (2 of the 3) so that by the time the ECFs roll around they're too fatigued to keep up with us lol.

I hate how you guys can just cruise through the playoffs lol.

Hawkeye15
11-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Sounds like James Johnson and Tyrus Thomas in the past for the Bulls. Except instead of head scratching, it's more like screaming, throwing ****, and calling them dumbasses.

well, those guys take plays off because of an attitude problem. Brewer's main issue is his brain can't keep up with his body. He is constantly out of control. Like every second he is in

td0tsfinest
11-25-2010, 05:48 PM
I like Jason Terry for 6th man. He's shooting about 50% from the field, 40 from beyond the arc and dishing out about 5 APG. And Dallas is not doing so bad to start the season either.

kingbrentg
11-25-2010, 05:49 PM
well, those guys take plays off because of an attitude problem. Brewer's main issue is his brain can't keep up with his body. He is constantly out of control. Like every second he is in

That's how JJ always plays. He even admitted to playing in "overanxious mode". Just doesn't think a lot of plays through.

Iodine
11-25-2010, 05:51 PM
:pity: Roger Mason pities you all

millerandco
11-25-2010, 06:02 PM
MVP - CP3 or Rondo: Either at the moment could win. Truly leading their respective teams
MIP - KLove: Playing great ball
COY - Monty Williams: no one expected this
DPOY - D12: is scary around the rim
ROY - Griffin: Beasting it
6th man -Brown: who knew he could shoot?

JordansBulls
11-25-2010, 06:05 PM
MIP: Love
6th man: Shannon??

The MVP and MIP race are really tight at the moment.

Pretty much this.

kingbrentg
11-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Meh, Celtics have done fine without Rondo so far. He's a great talent and a great PG, but I don't think he's MVP caliber with that team around him.

Minimal
11-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Meh, Celtics have done fine without Rondo so far. He's a great talent and a great PG, but I don't think he's MVP caliber with that team around him.
Rose vs Rondo **** again? I wouldn't say Celtics are great without Rondo. They are 2-1 without him. And 2 games they won were against struggling teams NJ and Atlanta (L10=3-7). Heck they barely won against NJ.
Almost 15 APG? The guy is making history! Rondo is a big difference maker and deserves an MVP award.

kingbrentg
11-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Rose vs Rondo **** again? I wouldn't say Celtics are great without Rondo. They are 2-1 without him. And 2 games they won were against struggling teams NJ and Atlanta (L10=3-7). Heck they barely won against NJ.
Almost 15 APG? The guy is making history! Rondo is a big difference maker and deserves an MVP award.

Yep, because I mentioned Rose in my post? Awesome.

Avenged
11-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Pretty much this.

We're always agreeing.. :cool:

ManRam
11-25-2010, 06:50 PM
The only award i even feel remotely okay about predicting is Dwight for DPOY. It is seriously unreal how dominate he is. He's more dominant on defense thab aby other player is on offense by miles. It's scary. Turns Nelson Carter Lewis and Q into the best defense pretty much on hos own (SVG) helps too.

mjt20mik
11-25-2010, 06:53 PM
I really was skeptical on why people are giving 6th man to Brown. Then I realized how much he is doing for the little time he spends on the court. However, I still think Jason Terry deserves it, as his numbers are just spectacular (17 ppg 5 apg 2 spg).

Iodine
11-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Dwight>Life

Avenged
11-25-2010, 06:57 PM
I really was skeptical on why people are giving 6th man to Brown. Then I realized how much he is doing for the little time he spends on the court. However, I still think Jason Terry deserves it, as his numbers are just spectacular (17 ppg 5 apg 2 spg).

Yeah, Shannon has been great thus far.. But I do believe Shannon, as of right now, deserves it over Terry. Shannon has been doing everything better than Terry aside from assisting. Not to mention Terry has been playing 34 minutes per game :speechless: that's starter minutes right there compared to Shannon's 19.

pujolsdabomb5
11-25-2010, 06:59 PM
MIP: Kevin Love
D-Poy: D12
ROY: J-Wall (Blake Griffin is a beast though)
Coach of the year: Erik Spoelstra :facepalm:

ManRam
11-25-2010, 07:03 PM
I don't think minutes are something that should hurt terry. The fact that he does play so much.just means he ultimately does mean more for his team. I like Terry by a hair now.

I hope Bass keeps balling. He's got sixth man, or MDN in his DNA. He's not there yet though

Avenged
11-25-2010, 07:09 PM
I don't think minutes are something that should hurt terry. The fact that he does play so much.just means he ultimately does mean more for his team. I like Terry by a hair now.

I hope Bass keeps balling. He's got sixth man, or MDN in his DNA. He's not there yet though

Yes but playing 34 minutes per game shouldn't really be considered a 6th man. At least not in my opinion. He's playing more minutes than Kobe... more minutes than Dwight. These are 2 players superstars we're talking about here.. :laugh2:

BillyHoyle35
11-25-2010, 07:10 PM
blake griffen and john wall for co rookies of the year

D1JM
11-25-2010, 07:22 PM
MIP: Millsap
DPOY: D12
ROY: Wall
Coach of the year: Thibs or the Hornets coach
:facepalm: award: Turk

Hawkeye15
11-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Yes but playing 34 minutes per game shouldn't really be considered a 6th man. At least not in my opinion. He's playing more minutes than Kobe... more minutes than Dwight. These are 2 players superstars we're talking about here.. :laugh2:

Kevin McHale baby

knicksfan42
11-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Wilson Chandler for 6th man: 16 PPG, 6 RPG, 2 BPG.

Minimal
11-25-2010, 07:33 PM
All ur posts are ********. This is the truth!

MVP - Joel Anthony
MIP - Zydrunas Ilgauskas
COY - Erik ****ing Spoelstra
DPOY - Carlos Arroyo
ROY - Juwan Howard
6th man - Jamaal Magloire

alencp3
11-25-2010, 07:41 PM
MVP - Dwight - Most consistent of the top 5 candidates, he'll be putting up 22-12-2-1-3 all season while the Magic finish atop the East
MIP - Love/Millsap/Hibbert/McGee - All playing outstandingly, it will depend on who can maintain that high level of play
ROY - Wall - Griffin is definitely more exciting, but I can't look the other way on the Clipps' record
Its not MVP award, its ROY, team record has nothing to do with this award
Look at the past winners

Raph12
11-25-2010, 07:44 PM

MVP - Joel Anthony
MIP - Zydrunas Ilgauskas
DPOY - Carlos Arroyo
ROY - Juwan Howard

I get it, you're figuratively trying to say that Lebron and Wade won't win jack this season right?... ;)

*Superman*
11-25-2010, 07:50 PM

MVP - Joel Anthony
MIP - Zydrunas Ilgauskas
DPOY - Carlos Arroyo
ROY - Juwan Howard

I literally lol'd at this post. Hahah. Nicely done. I love Juwan Howard for ROY. :laugh2:

bbcmillionaire
11-25-2010, 08:07 PM
I literally lol'd at this post. Hahah. Nicely done. I love Juwan Howard for ROY. :laugh2:
so your trying to say juwan can't win the ROY award! >=( lmao

SouljahPhil...
11-25-2010, 08:27 PM
MVP- Paul
MIP- Beasley
Coach - Monty Williams
Rookie - Blake Griffin
Defensive player - Dwight
6th Man - Shannon

lvlheaded
11-25-2010, 08:58 PM
MIP: Beasley
COY: G-Pop
DPOY: Dwight
6th Man: Wilson Chandler

NBA Championship: NY Knicks
Finals MVP: Landry Fields

...Just kidding about that last part

justinnum1
11-25-2010, 09:01 PM
MVP- Paul
MIP- Beasley
Coach - Monty Williams
Rookie - Blake Griffin
Defensive player - Dwight
6th Man - Shannon

this

gfixer33
11-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Mot award miami heat[most overated team]
roy john wall

gbrl
11-25-2010, 10:53 PM
MVP- Paul
MIP- Love
COY - Monty Williams
ROY - Griffin
DPOY - Dwight
6th Man - Shannon

DA FRANCHISE
11-25-2010, 11:09 PM

Are u serious? D12 Is good dont get me wrong but MVP in this era?
Let's look at the facts the magic has had the same team for at least 3-4 years and has only one shot at the chip!! So no! He don't deserve it! But look at rose the man quote un quote suppose to not b able to shoot j's or 3's but he knocking them down, the bulls r with out their second best player and not to far behind the magic because rose, the man is purtting up 24-25 pts 8.9 ast
Those with out boozer on the floor so basically he having monster year and he's still still with out boozer wait untill he get back...it's gona b nasty pick and roll all day

DA FRANCHISE
11-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Let's look at the facts the magic has had the same team for at least 3-4 years and has only one shot at the chip!! So no! He don't deserve it! But look at rose the man quote un quote suppose to not b able to shoot j's or 3's but he knocking them down, the bulls r with out their second best player and not to far behind the magic because rose, the man is purtting up 24-25 pts 8.9 ast
Those with out boozer on the floor so basically he having monster year and he's still still with out boozer wait untill he get back...it's gona b nasty pick and roll all day

And god fobid they get melo then that south beach drama means nothing cause won't nobody c another ring NOBODY!!!!

goose15
11-25-2010, 11:25 PM
MVP- Paul
MIP- Beasley
COY- Pop
DPOY- Howard
ROY- Griffin
6th man- W. Chandler

sargon21
11-25-2010, 11:41 PM
MVP- Paul/Dwight/Rose
MIP- Beasley
COY- Monty
DPOY- Dwight
ROY- Griffin
6th Man- Terry

PurpleJesus
11-26-2010, 12:31 AM
how about Pau Gasol for MVP (even though he isnt the mvp on his team)
i cant really think of anyone more deserving for MIP other than Love except maybe his teammate Beasley
COY popovich best record in league, has also adapted his lineup to a more guard oriented team with Duncan aging
DPOY is obviously Dwight
ROY is going to come down to the wire, but Blake is the current front runner
6th man maybe to Maggete if the Bucks find a way into the playoffs

Raph12
11-26-2010, 12:47 AM

So let me get this straight, you think that Rose is more deserving of the MVP award than Dwight?... Okay then... NEXT!!!

Korman12
11-26-2010, 12:59 AM
MVP: Pau Gasol or Chris Paul
DPY: Dwight, cause why not.
ROY: Blake Griffin and it's not even close.
Coach of the Year: Monty Williams or Popovich
6th Man: No idea.
MIP: Beasley

ewing
11-26-2010, 01:17 AM
Listen to me NBA!

Its a shame. We may never see a coach have the longitivy and sucess in one place like Sloan again. He's a intitution, its definately time the league realized it

ewing
11-26-2010, 01:25 AM
If Shannon continues his recent high level of play, he actually has a chance to get MIP or 6th man.. [maybe both? ;)]

He'd need to do a lot more then what he's doing now for me to think Kevin Love isn't MIP although some of it is b/c Rambis should be up for most improved coach for finally giving the Kid 30+ mins. a night

Angel2Maverick
11-26-2010, 01:26 AM
MVP: D-Will, CP3
MIP: Beasly, Hibbert
COY: POP, Monty Williams
ROY: Blake Griffin
DPOY: Dwight
6th Man: W.Chandler, J.Terry, Shannon Brown, Odom

Oefarmy2005
11-26-2010, 02:05 AM
MVP- Rose. He is an amazing scorer who also distributes the ball well. Untill Boozer comes back, he has less to work with than most other MVP candidates and that's why he gets a nod from me
MIP- Love or Beasley. I am not going to be surprised if either of those two takes the award this year since they have both been good so far.
COY- Pops. He is doing an a mazing job with his two best players on the worng side of 30 and an aging roster overall. The Spurs are a surprise team for me so far.
DPOY- Rondo. Dwight is another obvious choice, but pound for pound Rondo is just a more amazing defender.
ROY- Wall. Griffing has been incredible, but Wall is more dominant at the PG position than Rose was his first year, and that's very hard to acomplish.
6th man- Shanon Brown looks like he is about ready to step into the starting role somewhere.