PDA

View Full Version : derrick rose-thoughts from non-chicago fans

dabulls22
11-24-2010, 11:50 PM
I am a lifelong bulls fan and I wanted to know what fans around the league think of derrick rose...overall as a point guard.

Hearing bulls fans and announcers (im talking to you stacy king) gush about derrick rose and constantly compare him to jordan and other superstars has me questioning what people see that I do not. He is amazingly fast and can score, but is not the greatest finisher and doesnt seem to have the "court vision" of other great point guards such as nash, williams, paul, kidd.

I had to ask this question after watching the lakers/bulls game last night. On two occasions last night the announcers gave credit to derrick rose for missing two layups, both in which noah tipped in on the follow up, by saying he basically scored those points by breaking down the defense and allowing noah to score. Although on paper it appeared he had a good game, but if you watched it he played one good quarter (3rd quarter) and yet all the media and fans in Chicago say this game cemented him as an elite player. I think its a little early to make that judgement and based on what Ive seen from chicago this year, Noah has been our most consistent and dominant player.

Any thoughts on this from around the nba would be appreciated. Even thoughts on the bulls/lakers game, for those who watched it.

John Walls Era
11-24-2010, 11:56 PM
Sit back and enjoy... I think hes great, but I've been a fan since Memphis (not top 5 though).

effen5
11-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Strong post to join date ratio

PLAYERS FAN
11-24-2010, 11:58 PM
killah

rabueed
11-24-2010, 11:58 PM
I don't watch the Bulls regularly, but i do like them as a team. I'm a Laker fan.

Regarding Rose, people expecting him to be elite (as in top 10) shouldn't hold their breath. He may get there soon, but I wouldn't rank him in that level at any point during this season. If you were expecting Rose to be similar to CP3 or DWill, don't expect that either. He may end up developing the pass-first mentality, but he was drafted with the mindset that he can score in bunches. At the moment, what the Bulls need the most anyway is scoring, so no problems there.

I'm judging my opinion based on what I've seen of clips and the Lakers-Bulls game recently. And I'm not saying Rose is a bad player. He's fantastic. But to claim him elite, I wouldn't go that far just yet. I say he isn't at that level now, but he has the potential to be, so who knows how his career progresses.

EDIT: Plus, you have to remember. Announcers and fans alike tend to hold their star players (and actually players in general) in higher regard than non-fans do. It's what we do. I think Pau Gasol is the best Euro to play the game, others disagree with me (and they have good arguments). I think Kobe is easily top 5 to ever play the game, and that's complete homerism.

drobe86
11-25-2010, 12:07 AM
I think Derrick Rose is supremely talented, but highly overrated amongst Bulls fans. There were bulls fans saying that he was better than Dwade and outrageous crap like that. He's a minor upgrade over Beasley and certainly in the 2nd tier of pgs, but he's nowhere near Dwill, Paul, or Nash in 2010. He's along the 2nd tier with B Jennings, Steph Curry, Rondo, etc....

Cano4prez
11-25-2010, 12:10 AM
Great player but often overrated

whitemamba33
11-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Winning is everything.

ManRam
11-25-2010, 12:13 AM
My thoughts are: do bulls fans take a sworn oath to convince the world that Rose is a god at all times? I've seriously never seen a fan base shamelessly promote their player so much.

I like his game a lot...and I'd probably like it more if everyone didnt try to force me to crown him all the time.proove7 PG...but in no way a flawless player. He's still got a lot to prove.

albertc86
11-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Honestly, I underrated him. I never gave him the credit he deserves but I'm starting to see his potential. If he develops a better jumpshot, watch out.

Super.
11-25-2010, 12:18 AM
He's good, but not a top 5 PG. Period

SchyGuy11
11-25-2010, 12:18 AM
I think Derrick Rose is supremely talented, but highly overrated amongst Bulls fans. There were bulls fans saying that he was better than Dwade and outrageous crap like that. He's a minor upgrade over Beasley and certainly in the 2nd tier of pgs, but he's nowhere near Dwill, Paul, or Nash in 2010. He's along the 2nd tier with B Jennings, Steph Curry, Rondo, etc....

ignorant

checkit
11-25-2010, 12:20 AM
My thoughts are: do bulls fans take a sworn oath to convince the world that Rose is a god at all times? I've seriously never seen a fan base shamelessly promote their player so much.

I like his game a lot...and I'd probably like it more if everyone didnt try to force me to crown him all the time.proove7 PG...but in no way a flawless player. He's still got a lot to prove.

my thoughts exactly

dabulls22
11-25-2010, 12:20 AM

Completely agree, I feel like our fanbase is brainwashed. I am not a derrick rose hater, I actually love watching him play and progress, but this overpraise feels forced and unnecessary.

kozelkid
11-25-2010, 12:22 AM

It mainly comes with stupid comments like these.

He's good, but not a top 5 PG. Period

metsbulls1025
11-25-2010, 12:24 AM

You defend Lebron all the time. Doesn't he get thrown down your throat about 10 times more than Rose does?

SteveNash
11-25-2010, 12:27 AM
It mainly comes with stupid comments like these.

You think Rose is top 5 PG good? :laugh2:

kozelkid
11-25-2010, 12:28 AM
You think Rose is top 5 PG good? :laugh2:

Yup and so do most unbias fans. Cp3 and Deron are clearly better. Followed by Rose/Rondo/Westbrook (all in the same level).

finalverse
11-25-2010, 12:31 AM
He is the most physically imposing point guard in the league. I'm talking speed, height, power and just physicality. He is bascially like a new breed.

SteveNash
11-25-2010, 12:31 AM
Yup and so do most unbias fans. Cp3 and Deron are clearly better. Followed by Rose/Rondo/Westbrook (all in the same level).

I'm the most unbiased as they come, Rose isn't close to being a top 5 PG.

kozelkid
11-25-2010, 12:35 AM

:laugh:
You are the genius who thought Orlando wouldn't make the ECF last year. You lost all your credibility long, long ago.
You wanna talk unbias? Rose has the 5th highest PER of pgs. There's top 5. Now run along.
Or do you wanna add to that sig?

ManRam
You defend Lebron all the time. Doesn't he get thrown down your throat about 10 times more than Rose does?

Both situations are cases of fan bases who are blinded by either immense love or immense hate...both are cases of bias. I compensate for it I guess.

I tend to defend LeBron more than I'm naturally inclined to because the hate he gets doesn't even come close to what he deserves...so I over-defend him in my pointless attempt to balance things out. Same with Rose; the more I constantly here from Bull fans how amazing he is...the more I get turned off to him.

I dont feel that the hate is as much of an attempt to force an opinion on me as the Rose stuff is. :shrug:

Hustlenomics

^
and he's more of a shooting guard to me it's just that chicago doesnt have good ball handlers but yea i liked him since memphis dude got skill

to say he's not even CLOSE to being top 5 is crazy

northsider
Worse then getting Rose shoved down peoples throats is the same tired *** posters who come in to talk **** about him like this was a thread started by someone who knows how hated he is on here. I don't know why you guys acknowledge these threads if they bother you so much.

whitemamba33
11-25-2010, 12:37 AM
He went for 30-8-5 last night against the Lakers.

/thread. Go home and make love to your wives.

kozelkid
11-25-2010, 12:37 AM
Both situations are cases of fan bases who are blinded by either immense love or immense hate...both are cases of bias. I compensate for it I guess.

I tend to defend LeBron more than I'm naturally inclined to because the hate he gets doesn't even come close to what he deserves...so I over-defend him in my pointless attempt to balance things out. Same with Rose; the more I constantly here from Bull fans how amazing he is...the more I get turned off to him.

I dont feel that the hate is as much of an attempt to force an opinion on me as the Rose stuff is. :shrug:

You are aware there are plenty of people who hate him as well...

ManRam
11-25-2010, 12:38 AM
You are the genius who thought Orlando wouldn't make the ECF last year. You lost all your credibility long, long ago.
You wanna talk unbias? Rose has the 5th highest PER of pgs. There's top 5. Now run along.

Haha. Steve, how do you feel about Dwight now? Still the immense hate? You dont have to answer that here, it's off topic

BoSox47
11-25-2010, 12:38 AM
This Season so far

1. chris paul
2. rondo
3. d-rose
4. westbrooke
5.d-will despite the 43% fg%

Hustlenomics
11-25-2010, 12:39 AM
He went for 30-8-5 last night against the Lakers.

/thread. Go home and make love to your wives.

who won that game?

ManRam
11-25-2010, 12:42 AM
You are aware there are plenty of people who hate him as well...

Yes. And I'm aware of the reasons...the same reasons why constant Rose talk annoys me.

Like I said...hate is something I feel less inclined to care about. Everyone hates for stupid reasons...it's part of sports. Being told all the time that someone is great and reminded all the time is just more annoying to me. Thats why I'm more turned off to Rose than I should be. Ifs for reasons I find more obnoxious.

RocketPower2010
11-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Reminds me of when Stevie Franchise first came out and everyone was wooing and wahing over a 6'4 guard dunking on everybody. The rest of the game was...ugh, let's just say hard to watch for a Rockets fan.

Chacarron
11-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Definitely in the top 6 PG discussion. I always liked him but hearing his name being tossed around as if he were Jordan from Bulls fans got annoying last year.

kozelkid
11-25-2010, 12:45 AM
Reminds me of when Stevie Franchise first came out and everyone was wooing and wahing over a 6'4 guard dunking on everybody. The rest of the game was...ugh, let's just say hard to watch for a Rockets fan.

Athletically I agree. But the difference in attitude makes a world of difference. And the stats show that. More efficient scorer and more willing passer.

Definitely in the top 6 PG discussion. I always liked him but hearing his name being tossed around as if he were Jordan from Bulls fans got annoying last year.

I'm sure alot of it has to do with the fact that we haven't had a star player since MJ himself. Has tons of people excited.

Yes. And I'm aware of the reasons...the same reasons why constant Rose talk annoys me.

Like I said...hate is something I feel less inclined to care about. Everyone hates for stupid reasons...it's part of sports. Being told all the time that someone is great and reminded all the time is just more annoying to me. Thats why I'm more turned off to Rose than I should be. Ifs for reasons I find more obnoxious.

Fair enough.

whitemamba33
11-25-2010, 01:00 AM
who won that game?

The defending champs.

I hope your pont isn't that Rose isn't a top 5 pg because he wasn't able to beat the Lakers by himself.

I HOPE.

He got Kobe's respect...he CERTAINLY got mine.

kozelkid
11-25-2010, 01:07 AM
The defending champs.

I hope your pont isn't that Rose isn't a top 5 pg because he wasn't able to beat the Lakers by himself.

I HOPE.

Just a wild guess, is Wade>you the guy you are referring to in your sig?

hugepatsfan
11-25-2010, 01:10 AM
I am a lifelong bulls fan and I wanted to know what fans around the league think of derrick rose...overall as a point guard.

Hearing bulls fans and announcers (im talking to you stacy king) gush about derrick rose and constantly compare him to jordan and other superstars has me questioning what people see that I do not. He is amazingly fast and can score, but is not the greatest finisher and doesnt seem to have the "court vision" of other great point guards such as nash, williams, paul, kidd.

I had to ask this question after watching the lakers/bulls game last night. On two occasions last night the announcers gave credit to derrick rose for missing two layups, both in which noah tipped in on the follow up, by saying he basically scored those points by breaking down the defense and allowing noah to score. Although on paper it appeared he had a good game, but if you watched it he played one good quarter (3rd quarter) and yet all the media and fans in Chicago say this game cemented him as an elite player. I think its a little early to make that judgement and based on what Ive seen from chicago this year, Noah has been our most consistent and dominant player.

Any thoughts on this from around the nba would be appreciated. Even thoughts on the bulls/lakers game, for those who watched it.

I storngly suggest that you refrain from posting this in the Bulls forum.

Hustlenomics
11-25-2010, 01:11 AM
The defending champs.

I HOPE.

donno are you trying to say he's top 5 because he put up good stats in a loss?:eyebrow:

JB0B0
11-25-2010, 01:17 AM
People like to discredit him because he can score. Just because other point guards lack his explosiveness, doesn't mean he should be passive. He's more of a Dwyane Wade-type player. In my opinion, his offensive game is better than Wade's but Rose is still lacking on the defensive end, which is why Wade is still the better player.

Sir Buckets
11-25-2010, 01:20 AM
30/8/5 against the defending champs

35/7/12 the next night. 55 minutes after playing 40.

Anyone hating on him at this point is just an unhappy, uneducated neanderthal.

No bad attitude.

Says all the right things.

Humble.

Wake up sheeple.

chi-townlove1
11-25-2010, 01:24 AM

noones forcing you to crown him... you should be able to see how talented the kid is without us telling you.. not overrated whatsoever, and has proven so much more than majority of superstars, in such a small amount of time.

dabulls22
11-25-2010, 01:26 AM
30/8/5 against the defending champs

35/7/12 the next night. 55 minutes after playing 40.

Anyone hating on him at this point is just an unhappy, uneducated neanderthal.

No bad attitude.

Says all the right things.

Humble.

Wake up sheeple.

How many shots did he take tonight?

SteveNash
11-25-2010, 01:27 AM

My folly was thinking Boston wouldn't slip down to 4th. I maintained the entire time that Orlando wouldn't beat Boston/Cleveland and I knew Atlanta didn't have a chance as they had a terrible matchup against Orlando.

PER is crap or do you really think that Shannon Brown is the 6th best PG in the league? Do you think Amir Johnson and Tyrus Thomas are better than Noah?

Haha. Steve, how do you feel about Dwight now? Still the immense hate? You dont have to answer that here, it's off topic

Never hated Dwight, I just pointed out his weaknesses.

I'm sure alot of it has to do with the fact that we haven't had a star player since MJ himself. Has tons of people excited.

Look at the bright side, at least Rose is better than Jay Will who the Bulls also tried to hype.

Nicolasvon
11-25-2010, 01:31 AM
People like to discredit him because he can score. Just because other point guards lack his explosiveness, doesn't mean he should be passive. He's more of a Dwyane Wade-type player. In my opinion, his offensive game is better than Wade's but Rose is still lacking on the defensive end, which is why Wade is still the better player.

As a Bulls fan I have to agree with this line of thought. The only true weakness in his game is his D IMO, but if he becomes an upper tier diffender then watch out.

Sir Buckets
How many shots did he take tonight?More like how many shots did he have to take.

I don't care what some stats say. Show me all the stats you want. It doesn't matter. I know what I see. Derrick Rose does whatever it takes to win the ****ing game. He's one of the best players in the league.

Team*Chicago
Some of you guys are right he's not a top 5 PG. He's a top 3 PG and only Chris Paul and Deron Williams are better than Derrick Rose no body else is not better than Derrick Rose not no overrated Rajon Rondo, Steve Nash and Westbrook.

ChI_ShIzzLe
11-25-2010, 01:32 AM

33..thats a lot but when you don't have Boozer & Gibson, he had no other choice.

Draco
11-25-2010, 01:36 AM
33..thats a lot but when you don't have Boozer & Gibson, he had no other choice.

yes and the game went into doubt overtime...

More-Than-Most
Some of you guys are right he's not a top 5 PG. He's a top 3 PG and only Chris Paul and Deron Williams are better than Derrick Rose no body else is not better than Derrick Rose not no overrated Rajon Rondo, Steve Nash and Westbrook.

I would put him top 5... Only because my top 3 are Paul/Williams/Nash.... Rondo/Rose would be next tier or somewhere around there in that discussion.

ChiSox219
It's been great this year, many opposing fans have started to give Rose credit.

Around PSD he's incredibly overexposed, there are a lot of Bulls fans here, some young, some just desperate for the team to be decent again. I understand people hate him for this reason.

Whitemamba33 give Rose credit, a few Knicks fans (Bulls rival) gave props to Rose after we played earlier this year, Boston fans doing the same, etc.

Just nice to see, makes those idiots who say Rose is "not even close to a top 5 PG" easier to ignore.

MGB
11-25-2010, 01:37 AM

and he shot just under 50% while bringing his team back from a +20 point deficit... he also played good defense, grabbed 12 boards, and 7 dimes.

ok he shot like 42%... still he hit 2 ft to tie the game with very little time left and made numerous crucial shots.

MJ-BULLS
11-25-2010, 01:37 AM
It's been great this year, many opposing fans have started to give Rose credit.

Around PSD he's incredibly overexposed, there are a lot of Bulls fans here, some young, some just desperate for the team to be decent again. I understand people hate him for this reason.

Whitemamba33 give Rose credit, a few Knicks fans (Bulls rival) gave props to Rose after we played earlier this year, Boston fans doing the same, etc.

Just nice to see, makes those idiots who say Rose is "not even close to a top 5 PG" easier to ignore.

this.

dabulls22
11-25-2010, 01:38 AM

wow, i literally was about to say that exact same comment. even deng shot 27. I only caught the overtime, but noah was a stud in ot

chicago lulz
11-25-2010, 01:39 AM
I feel that moderators should regulate threads better. As in, LEARN HOW TO USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION AND BUMP THAT THREAD, INSTEAD OF CREATING A NEW ONE.

This question as been asked countless, countless, countless, countless, countless, countless, countless, countless, countless, countless, countless, countless, countless, countless, countless times.

And it always ends up the same.
1. People give their opinions on Rose (some just trying to bait).
2. As soon as a negative comment lurks around, Bulls fan jump all over it, sometimes sounding super biased or idiotic.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until another thread is made.

ChI_ShIzzLe
11-25-2010, 01:40 AM
I would put him top 5... Only because my top 3 are Paul/Williams/Nash.... Rondo/Rose would be next tier or somewhere around there in that discussion.

He's playing like a top 5 PLAYER so far...better than Lebron & Wade.