View Full Version : H.Thabeet

iCOOKiE MONSTER
11-23-2010, 10:19 PM
What happened to this guy, he was good at
U.Conn. He got size and talent. Is it because he
Doesn't get enough minutes?

CityofChaos
11-23-2010, 10:21 PM
He stepped foot in the NBA where the competition is at a higher level than college ball...

Plus, he can't really do anything besides block shots

BALLER71
11-23-2010, 10:25 PM
He has size and no talent. I was a fan of him coming out of college but the guy is too raw

ShockerArt
11-23-2010, 10:25 PM
He stepped foot in the NBA where the competition is at a higher level than college ball...

Plus, he can't really do anything besides block shots

^^This ... and he wasn't really that good in college. I thought that was a terrible draft pick at the time, and I haven't seen anything to make me think otherwise. DeJuan Blair man-handling him in college should have tipped everyone off.

redsox0717
11-23-2010, 10:26 PM
He was good in college because he could just camp in the paint. The three-second rule has made in obsolete.

iCOOKiE MONSTER
11-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks guys for the update

Jays Claw
11-23-2010, 10:38 PM
He's probably the most incomplete player in the league. His size, length and poor offensive skillset just wont cut it. Especially when you're competing for minutes with Gasol, Randolph and Arthur.

iCOOKiE MONSTER
11-23-2010, 10:38 PM
How can you be gifted with that height, but can't do
Anything about it. He needs to hit the weights

iCOOKiE MONSTER
11-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Imagine D.Howard 7'3!!!

kmo429
11-23-2010, 10:47 PM
I personally loved him in colege and thought he'd be an allstar... but so so far he just looks to be a flat out bust.

ChaseHamels
11-23-2010, 10:54 PM
He had 7 inches on Blair and DeJaun made him look straight up silly MANY times in the big east, dude is a bust.

IAmKira
11-23-2010, 11:04 PM
apparently people on this thread just flat out throw out stuff like "hes a bust" n wat not. Wtf dont u guys ever watch games? Pretty sure people went over this when they drafted him that hes too raw in offense and hes a 3 year project. WAT YEAR IS IT?

MrfadeawayJB
11-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Thabeet gets his opportunities, take it from somone who watches every grizz game...he cant catch the ball and lacks any offensive fluidity...defense is ok, but all we need from his is like 10 points off the bench with 8-10 reb., and 1-2 blocked shots...and we cant even get that

He may be packaged with mayo in a future trade

PurpleJesus
11-23-2010, 11:14 PM
I thought this guy was gonna be mutumbo 2.0

The Jokemaker
11-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Thabeet is still extremely raw but I think he can turn into a good player in this league. People forget how late he actually started playing basketball. Not to mention he doesn't get a ton of minutes as is. I could see him peaking as a Camby/Mutombo type.

SeoulBeatz
11-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Thabeet is still extremely raw but I think he can turn into a good player in this league. People forget how late he actually started playing basketball. Not to mention he doesn't get a ton of minutes as is. I could see him peaking as a Camby/Mutombo type.

all i can think of is how good the grizz would be if they picked ANYONE after him.

Even if a Stephen Curry - Mayo- Gay backcourt wouldnt work, still better than nothing, and that is essentially what Thabeet has given them

I think if he works at it he could be a poor mans camby with no jumper and less rebounding.

markbutter
11-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Is he a bust?

Well, look at it this way: I think any GM in the league for the same price (regardless of what that price is) would rather have Milicic than Thabeet. So, is he a bust as the #2 pick? Depends on what your definition of Milicic is.

bal_ravens
11-23-2010, 11:51 PM
I still say give it time. He would be good on a team that has the time and patience to rebuild. I dont think he will ever be a star, but a guy that can average you 8 rebounds and 2 blocks. Now i don't really watch the Grizz play too often, but I think if he can just form into a shot blocker who can focus more-so on defense, getting rebounds and blocks, staying out of foul trouble and such, like a Marcus Camby type player, that is all they would need.

iCOOKiE MONSTER
11-24-2010, 12:20 AM
It's kinda hard to find a great center
these days

iCOOKiE MONSTER
11-24-2010, 12:23 AM
Their usually a bust, hitting injury, or plain suks

mzgrizz
11-24-2010, 12:24 AM
I think you can't teach body habitus. He flat out doesn't have enough of a wide body to stay competitive. Maybe some serious gym work/weights would bring more success. He has had some good stretches of minutes lately, but the bigger boys just muscle him away. How do you teach wide shoulders?????

iCOOKiE MONSTER
11-24-2010, 12:40 AM
I think you can't teach body habitus. He flat out doesn't have enough of a wide body to stay competitive. Maybe some serious gym work/weights would bring more success. He has had some good stretches of minutes lately, but the bigger boys just muscle him away. How do you teach wide shoulders?????

Just time it right, gotta have confidence.
He looks scared

marvILLous
11-24-2010, 12:49 AM
wish i could see what he could do with the raptors.. sharing a front court with bargnani he'd be bound to get some rebounds and blocks..

SluggeR
11-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Went to the wrong team. Hard to develop when your burn is soooo limited.

SMH!
11-24-2010, 01:09 AM

true

iCOOKiE MONSTER
11-24-2010, 01:32 AM

True,
What happened when the grizzlies send him to
the D-leauge???
Was he even good there???

JasonJohnHorn
11-24-2010, 09:05 AM
He was drafted based on potential, and with the understanding that he would be a project player much as Dwight Howard was drafted. Everybody knew that in 04 Oakafor was more NBA ready than Howard, but everybody also knew that Howard had way more potential in the long run. Hence Oakafor wins ROY and Howard has established himself as the best C in the league in the years to follow.

Thabeet is certainly not coming along as nicely as the Griz had hoped, but they also have NBA ready players in the front court in Gasol and Randolph, and since the Griz have a legi shot of making the playoffs, they want to play the best they got, rather than take the time to develop a big guy.

You send Thabeet to detroit, or Toronto, or NY or Sac, or maybe even Philly or Miami, and this guy would be getting enough minutes to really see what he's made out of.

Right now he hasnt been given the chance to grow, but the Griz heard a lot of offers for him last year from what I read online (which isnt always reliable) and they insisted on keeping him. I'm sure if they put him on the trading block they'd get calls from just about every team in the league.

So far he IS a bust, but there have been other guys who were picked high who were considered busts that came along a little later (Pervis Ellison, Kevin McHale took a few years to really develop into an All-Star player, Chauncey Billups, and Joe Johnson- who was traded by Boston in his rookie season).

Like Kwambe Brown, Darko, and Eddy Curry, there will be teams that will take a chance on Thabeet and give him a chance to play when and if Memphis will give up on him, but the fact remains that he has a unique and potentially dominating set of physical gifts, and the kid does have work ethic. If you have those two, the rest usually falls into place. That said, at this point in his career, he is clearly not coming along as well as many hoped, and it is fair to call his on court impact a disapointment at this point in his career.

Mochalman
11-24-2010, 09:24 AM
i'd take him on the spurs next to duncan

ignorance=bliss
11-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Thabeet gets his opportunities, take it from somone who watches every grizz game...he cant catch the ball and lacks any offensive fluidity...defense is ok, but all we need from his is like 10 points off the bench with 8-10 reb., and 1-2 blocked shots...and we cant even get that

He may be packaged with mayo in a future trade

Ooh really, think there is anyway the Bucks would be able to swing a trade? I've wanted OJ Mayo on this team since his junior year in HS.