PDA

View Full Version : Best "International"? Really?

JasonJohnHorn
11-23-2010, 05:46 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/news/story?id=5818794&addata=2009_insdr_mod_nba_xxx_xxx&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d5818794%26addata% 3d2009_insdr_mod_nba_xxx_xxx

ESPN is have the above talk about the best international. But they quickly narrow the field so that talk can be about Dirk and Gasol. How is that? By saying that if the player plays college ball in the US then they are not 'international' players. Hakeem was born and rasied in Africa. As was Mutumbo. And Tim Duncan is from the Virgin Islands. Is there a reason ESPN started this conversation, then elminated all of the black athletes that would clearly be at the top of the conversation? And what more they dont even mention Yao? Vlade, Sabonis and Drazen, yes, but Yao? No. I'm pretty sure Yao counts as international and is worth at least a mention in the conversation.

You dont have to be white and from europe to be an international player.

To ESPN: :facepalm:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-23-2010, 05:52 PM
we are not allowed to post insider's stuff you know:eyebrow:

Il Mago 7
11-23-2010, 05:55 PM
C'mon No Mention Of Andrea Bargnani?

cardinals1226
11-23-2010, 05:56 PM
I love how everything is about race. The race card never gets old.

masTOR_shake1
11-23-2010, 06:14 PM
how about steve nash?

JasonJohnHorn
11-23-2010, 06:24 PM
we are not allowed to post insider's stuff you know:eyebrow:

I didnt actually know that :-(

JasonJohnHorn
11-23-2010, 06:25 PM
how about steve nash?

I think they also had a stipulation that Canada counted as one American state, so Nash and bill Wennington were both out of the running.

Rentzias
11-23-2010, 06:39 PM
I think it's a valid elimination. You can't just base it on where you were born.

Example: I was born in Asia, late 70s early 80s, where our game was revolved around quickness, shooting, and whatever "acrobatic" moves we could bring in. I moved to the U.S. right as my teens started, and was exposed to a different style of ball (incorporating fancy stuff into effective moves, i.e. crossovers, behind-the-back or no look passes; working on shot form, fundamentals), and therefore raised in that style of ball, and organized play. I returned to Asia in the mid and late 2000s with my cousins (also raised in style in the US) and our style of play, both individually and as a team were significantly different from people we played against over there.

Long rant short, Dirk and Pau entered the NBA directly from a European experience, whereas Olajuwon (Houston), Mutombo (Georgetown) and Duncan (Wake Forest) all received their ball education in the U.S.

There are things patently European (see: Manu Ginobili's "Euro Step") that came from players who came from a Euro team directly into the NBA system. So take, Ben Gordon (born in England, moved right away to the US) and Ricky Rubio, and only one of those should qualify as an "international."

LA_Raiders
11-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Gasol is the man!

John Walls Era
11-23-2010, 08:17 PM
ESPN is a joke anyways.

smith&wesson
11-23-2010, 08:25 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/news/story?id=5818794&addata=2009_insdr_mod_nba_xxx_xxx&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d5818794%26addata% 3d2009_insdr_mod_nba_xxx_xxx

ESPN is have the above talk about the best international. But they quickly narrow the field so that talk can be about Dirk and Gasol. How is that? By saying that if the player plays college ball in the US then they are not 'international' players. Hakeem was born and rasied in Africa. As was Mutumbo. And Tim Duncan is from the Virgin Islands. Is there a reason ESPN started this conversation, then elminated all of the black athletes that would clearly be at the top of the conversation? And what more they dont even mention Yao? Vlade, Sabonis and Drazen, yes, but Yao? No. I'm pretty sure Yao counts as international and is worth at least a mention in the conversation.

You dont have to be white and from europe to be an international player.

To ESPN: :facepalm:

hmm...
duncan and hakeem the dream are def hall of famers, but perhaps they are talking about who are the best international players right now ?? im not sure im just guessing here.

John Walls Era
11-23-2010, 08:27 PM
these idiots probably meant to say Europeans.

Rafer17
11-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Gasol is the best non-american player right now anyways...its not even close

I dont see why it matters to be honest.

el_primo_nano
11-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Pau, Parker, Kukoc, Drazen Petrovic, Manu

John Walls Era
11-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Gasol is the best non-american player right now anyways...its not even close

I dont see why it matters to be honest.

Dirk isn't close.... ha

Hawkeye15
11-23-2010, 09:11 PM
pay sites can not be posted. Trust me, I had no clue either until I had a thread shut down.