PDA

View Full Version : Yankees offer Lee six years.....

oak2455
11-23-2010, 01:56 PM
-- Yahoo! Sports, citing an industry source, reports the Yankees have offered free-agent SP Cliff Lee a six-year, $140 million contract but that Lee is holding out for a seventh year. Neither side would confirm the numbers to Yahoo!'s Tim Brown. The $23.3 million average cited in Brown's report is slightly higher than the $23 million per season that the Yankees gave SP CC Sabathia in the 2008 offseason (in a seven-year agreement), and the $22.9 million that the Mets gave SP Johan Santana in 2008 (in a six-year pact). Many people expect Lee to eventually sign with the Yankees, but the Rangers have signaled they will try to keep Lee and match the Yankees' offers.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/feed/2010-11/baseball-free-agency/story/hot-stove-tracker-yankees-reportedly-offer-140-million-to-cliff-lee#ixzz1685SKR00

Thats a lot of cash I'm guessing the Yanks are still mad about not getting him via trade and then Rangers CEO saying stuff about the Yanks:eyebrow:

CityofTreez
11-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Six years of misery for Mrs. UnbeLEEvable

oak2455
11-23-2010, 02:01 PM

True thats funny.....

Lou Holtz Lisp
11-23-2010, 02:03 PM
^^Yea I'm sure she'll be hating New York after her husband is pulling in over 20 million a year. Get real, the Yankee fans will treat her great if Lee signs with them.

ManRam
11-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Ugh...

C'mon Texas. Don't let the people down!

oak2455
11-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Ugh...

C'mon Texas. Don't let the people down!

wonder where this goes whats the final contract..........

MelanconMadness
11-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Theres no way the Rangers can compete with an offer like that

fadedmario
11-23-2010, 02:16 PM
holy ****. yanks dont **** around

CityofTreez
11-23-2010, 02:20 PM
^^Yea I'm sure she'll be hating New York after her husband is pulling in over 20 million a year. Get real, the Yankee fans will treat her great if Lee signs with them.

how cute

papipapsmanny
11-23-2010, 02:22 PM
wow if i were the rangers i wouldnt offer that, way too many years.

4 year deal for lee at the most, and that is pushing it

The A Team
11-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Keep in mind, the Rangers don't need to match the Yankees dollar for dollar to equal the offer thanks to friendly tax law in Texas as well as a lower cost of living. The Rangers can get away with offering many million less while still functionally putting the same offer on the table.

bagwell368
11-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Keep in mind, the Rangers don't need to match the Yankees dollar for dollar to equal the offer thanks to friendly tax law in Texas as well as a lower cost of living. The Rangers can get away with offering many million less while still functionally putting the same offer on the table.

So, Rangers get him for 6 @ $23M per vs. 6 @ $25M Yankee offer?

That might be true, but many agents and players like to keep score and the taxes and COLA is noise at that sort of cash flow. I think it goes more to quality of life/wifey then any tax issues.

C-ross12
11-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Good luck at the backend of that puppy.

jmoney85
11-23-2010, 02:35 PM

yes but he will earn much more in endorsements

NateyB24
11-23-2010, 02:35 PM

Why should she care? She doesn't have to go to the games while her Husband is getting payed.

sexicano31
11-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Good, i hope the yankees sign him to a long term deal and bog the roster down with more unmovable contracts to aging players. Sounds good to me

x_notorious
11-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Yankees have so much money...giving out huge contracts is like clockwork.

10 years/$275M (2008-17) for A-Rod
7 years/$161M (2009-15) for CC
8 years/$180M (2009-16) for Tex
5 years/$82.5M (2009-13) for Burnett

And they still are working on Jeter, Mo and Lee.

oak2455
11-23-2010, 02:43 PM

The Rangers dont have as much cash as people think.....That TV deal which doesnt kick in until 2015 was a big proponent in everyones thinking...Also Ive heard they still have money issues..as do other teams but more than others...we shall see shortly, I'm sure..

oak2455
11-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Good, i hope the yankees sign him to a long term deal and bog the roster down with more unmovable contracts to aging players. Sounds good to me

Because its hurt them before? Thats a silly statement....There is a list of players that have been paid big and under performed..

detroitfans#1
11-23-2010, 02:50 PM
way to buy another ring Yankees! hope this blows up in their face just like Burnett did!

oak2455
11-23-2010, 02:53 PM
way to buy another ring Yankees! hope this blows up in their face just like Burnett did!

VMart 4 yrs 50 million thats pretty expensive deal for a DH , Like Arod:D

Gigantes4Life
11-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Cliff Lee is a god. The Yankees do not deserve a being of such magnitude.

CityofTreez
11-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Why should she care? She doesn't have to go to the games while her Husband is getting payed.

it was a joke

Bo Sox Fan
11-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Lee will be trash after about the 3rd year of the contract, Texas is better off just signing Brandon Webb and letting the Yankees continue to raise the price on themselves just to make sure they get Cliff Lee over the next highest bidder... in no one.

oak2455
11-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Cliff Lee is a god. The Yankees do not deserve a being of such magnitude.

:laugh:

Young2Kinsler
11-23-2010, 02:59 PM

Exactly. I'll take my 2 picks and move on. I have been generous all offseason saying that I could HANDLE giving him 5 years, but would really like him more at 4. 6 is a deal breaker for me. I have no interest in giving that kind of contract out.

With our payroll set to expand 30-50 million over the next 2-3 years, a deep farm, and excellent scouting, I have full faith we can compete again without Lee.

I'm not saying Lee can't be good after 3-4 years, but I don't want to be the ones to find out for that kind of money.

Young2Kinsler
11-23-2010, 03:00 PM
The Rangers dont have as much cash as people think.....That TV deal which doesnt kick in until 2015 was a big proponent in everyones thinking...Also Ive heard they still have money issues..as do other teams but more than others...we shall see shortly, I'm sure..

The Rangers have no cash problems. Yes that TV deal is a delay thing, but they got bonuses and incentives up front.

MelanconMadness
11-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Lee will be trash after about the 3rd year of the contract, Texas is better off just signing Brandon Webb and letting the Yankees continue to raise the price on themselves just to make sure they get Cliff Lee over the next highest bidder... in no one.

What people forget is that Cliff Lee has almost 1000 less innings on his arm than Roy Halladay. Also Cliff Lee is a Pettitte type pitcher who will probably be able to pitch until his late 30s, early 40s

Eagles4Lyfe
11-23-2010, 03:10 PM
yess typical yankees haha, goes hand in hand with our RH hitting lineup:p..Do it please lee sign everyones on your tip for now get paid, get laid and then enjoy probably not seeing the world series again:p
Then sign jeter do a humangous contract too

YEDN90
11-23-2010, 03:11 PM

They won a WS the first year they had him..lol

I hate the signing though.

papipapsmanny
11-23-2010, 03:19 PM
What people forget is that Cliff Lee has almost 1000 less innings on his arm than Roy Halladay. Also Cliff Lee is a Pettitte type pitcher who will probably be able to pitch until his late 30s, early 40s

that is pure speculation on ur part

More-Than-Most
11-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Kept telling people he would get 6 or 7 years over 20 mill a year and some yankees fans made fun of me and other fans in general saying he would not get a contract that big... Well guess what... Suck on that :D

More-Than-Most
11-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Also I know he is great but there is no way he should get 6 years... If I were the Rangers I would use that money and fill multiple holes instead of taking a risk that big.

MelanconMadness
11-23-2010, 03:29 PM

What that he has close to 1000 less innings? Or that his pitching technique is extremely similar to Pettittes?

detroitfans#1
11-23-2010, 03:29 PM
They won a WS the first year they had him..lol

I hate the signing though.

they did but Burnett has s**t the bed since n i dont see Lee having seven more good years in him. way to big of a contract.

Jeffy25
11-23-2010, 03:30 PM

for once I agree with you.

But losing Lee will hurt the Rangers greatly.

That is a gross over payment that the Yankees would surely regret within a few years.

MelanconMadness
11-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Exactly. I'll take my 2 picks and move on. I have been generous all offseason saying that I could HANDLE giving him 5 years, but would really like him more at 4. 6 is a deal breaker for me. I have no interest in giving that kind of contract out.

With our payroll set to expand 30-50 million over the next 2-3 years, a deep farm, and excellent scouting, I have full faith we can compete again without Lee.

I'm not saying Lee can't be good after 3-4 years, but I don't want to be the ones to find out for that kind of money.

Of course you guys can compete without Lee, you guys were in first place before you even got him.

Young2Kinsler
11-23-2010, 03:32 PM
1. People are acting like this is a done deal....it's a report about an offer, and it says Lee is holding out for a 7th year.

2. Losing Lee will not hurt us that bad. With new management, we will find a way to shore up the rotation.

Dol-Fan
11-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Good lord...I hate the Yankees.

Madness23
11-23-2010, 03:41 PM
and yet again, this league proves how messy it is !!!!! the best free agents will always go to the yanks, i mean they have the bucks, what would you do if you were a top free agent ? i hate the Yankees but hell i will play in the 4th base if they offer me 1 mil !!!!

detroitfans#1
11-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Good lord...I hate the Yankees.

i cant stand them either:mad: imo who ever signs there is like a prostitute just chasing money n like selling your soul to the devil! LOL:facepalm:

Nymfan87
11-23-2010, 03:54 PM
I hope Cliff Lee makes the Yankees shell out something like 7 years/$175 million for him. The back end of that deal+the back end of the A-Rod deal together will be a huge burden on the payroll. And who knows how CC Sabathia will be at the end of his deal, or Teix.

Swishalicious
11-23-2010, 04:02 PM

Consider that Lee will make more $$ from endorsements from signing in NY.

But wow, thats a lot to offer Cliff Lee. Way too much IMO. I don't think he's worth that much, but oh well, can't stop the yankees once they've made of their mind.

All I know is that if ticket prices go up like parking did, then Cliff Lee better pitch a perfect game next season.

Part of me hopes that the Rangers sign Cliff Lee, match the yankees offer, and then the Rangers will be disappointed when Lee falls apart due to injury.

detroitfans#1
11-23-2010, 04:03 PM
and yet again, this league proves how messy it is !!!!! the best free agents will always go to the yanks, i mean they have the bucks, what would you do if you were a top free agent ? i hate the Yankees but hell i will play in the 4th base if they offer me 1 mil !!!!

your absolutely right about the league being messy. if the league went to a salary cap who would the Yanks be to keep?? not even half of their guys.

Swishalicious
11-23-2010, 04:03 PM
they did but Burnett has s**t the bed since n i dont see Lee having seven more good years in him. way to big of a contract.

Agreed

pistonsfanomg
11-23-2010, 04:06 PM
sweet jesus

oak2455
11-23-2010, 04:08 PM
I hope Cliff Lee makes the Yankees shell out something like 7 years/$175 million for him. The back end of that deal+the back end of the A-Rod deal together will be a huge burden on the payroll. And who knows how CC Sabathia will be at the end of his deal, or Teix.

and who knows and who knows......a lot of what ifs I may say.....maybe I win the lotto or the sun never comes out again.... I think they have survived worse IMO.....Carl Pavano....Kei Igawa( minor league superstar)....should I keep going? Kevin Brown still more...lol... we can do this all day. Way too much for Lee or anyone else Jeter 3 yrs 45 million Rivera 2 yrs 32 million or whatever too much cash spending I'll probably see most games on my couch

Swishalicious
11-23-2010, 04:12 PM

Well... he is right that Cliff Lee doesn't have a lot of wear and tear due to innings pitched.

And he is right that Lee is like Pettitte in the way he is a crafty lefty.... his delivery is what makes him successful, not the velocity on his fastball.

But you are right that Lee pitching into his late 30s is speculation.... cause there is no way of knowing that

jason17
11-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Man I hate the Yanks so bad it isn't funny any more. The Nats might of not been a team for Cliff Lee but the Yankees already have a solid pitching rotation and just won the world series a year ago man. First Texeria now Cliff Lee the ****......

DodgerB24
11-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Holy ****.

nycsports2
11-23-2010, 04:19 PM
sweet les get it!!!

avrpatsfan
11-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Man I hate the Yanks so bad it isn't funny any more. The Nats might of not been a team for Cliff Lee but the Yankees already have a solid pitching rotation and just won the world series a year ago man. First Texeria now Cliff Lee the ****......
The Yankees rotation is ****.

Rangerchick
11-23-2010, 04:26 PM
1. People are acting like this is a done deal....it's a report about an offer, and it says Lee is holding out for a 7th year.

2. Losing Lee will not hurt us that bad. With new management, we will find a way to shore up the rotation.

Move Feliz into the rotation already. He's being wasted as a closer and has more potential than Holland/Hunter/Kirkman. I'd say he has at least #3 potential. The closer spot will be easy to fill: re-sign FF and we don't lose draft picks, or sign Soriano/Rauch/Putz etc. (and we do), or let Ogando and Scheppers and Fabio Castillo etc. fight it out for the spot and whoever loses can be a setup guy to go along with Lowe, Oliver, and O'Day.

jmoney85
11-23-2010, 04:28 PM
The Yankees rotation is ****.

coming from a boston fan

oo the irony

Swishalicious
11-23-2010, 04:32 PM
coming from a boston fan

oo the irony

Yeah... Beckett, Lackey, and Matsuzaka are sad excuses for bragging rights over the yankees. Lester and Buchholz are amazing, have to give him that.... but if Pettitte comes back I don't see how Boston has a better rotation... assuming the Yankees sign Cliff Lee.

Dogdeity11
11-23-2010, 04:33 PM
I think it's safe to say that most fans who aren't Yankee fans hate the Yankees. But you have to hate them for the right reasons. Not because they spend heavy and attract the best FA's. That's baseball kids. Until the business end of the game is adjusted, you can't hate any organization for capitalizing on it. What do you expect them to do...not spend their money on the best players? Not make their team as good as it can be?
The jealousy is just immature. And I especially hate to see it from fellow Tigers fans too. Man up and respect the game if you celebrate the Old English D!
Besides, there are plenty of other reasons to hate the Yankees!

Rangerchick
11-23-2010, 04:40 PM
I think it's safe to say that most fans who aren't Yankee fans hate the Yankees. But you have to hate them for the right reasons. Not because they spend heavy and attract the best FA's. That's baseball kids. Until the business end of the game is adjusted, you can't hate any organization for capitalizing on it. What do you expect them to do...not spend their money on the best players? Not make their team as good as it can be?
The jealousy is just immature. And I especially hate to see it from fellow Tigers fans too. Man up and respect the game if you celebrate the Old English D!
Besides, there are plenty of other reasons to hate the Yankees!

How true. Instead of whining, build a team that can beat the Yankees. In '08 and '10 AL teams other than the Yanks went to the WS so it can be done.

airronijordan
11-23-2010, 04:41 PM
wow I can just imagine the dynamic duo of Cliff Lee and CC =)

Let the next Yankee dynasty begin =)

I dont see how anybody will compete with that offer

The_Franchise13
11-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Ahhh Yankees, for better or worse it's a source of drama.

They want their man, chances are they are going to get him. Doesn't mean they are guaranteed anything. Lee could very well get beat twice in the World Series again, hell, he could get beat twice in the ALDS.

Fair that the Yankees can keep their players and sign shiny new toys? Nope.

Fair that they put themselves in that position. Yep.

The_Franchise13
11-23-2010, 04:46 PM
wow I can just imagine the dynamic duo of Cliff Lee and CC =)

Let the next Yankee dynasty begin =)

I dont see how anybody will compete with that offer

Uhhh let's not get too hasty there, heh. = P

The Yankees may have another dynasty on their hands, but it won't solely because of Lee.

Oakland, San Francisco, Philly, Toronto and Boston still have a case for best rotation in the bigs even with CC and Lee.

As for the offer? No one can compete with it. Nor should anyone compete with it.

Cursed Rangers
11-23-2010, 04:46 PM
How true. Instead of whining, build a team that can beat the Yankees. In '08 and '10 AL teams other than the Yanks went to the WS so it can be done.

Come post in the Rangers forum when you get a chance.

Jahari Kavi
11-23-2010, 04:50 PM
as yankees fan I find it funny when people worry about paying a guy too much at the "back end" of a deal.....get it done....let's win 2 or 3 titles with Lee, CC, Andy, whoever and worry about the "back end" when it gets here......even when that time does get here we will go and get other talent if needed......

Eagles4Lyfe
11-23-2010, 04:53 PM
i hope somone ups the offer so yankees offer way more

Cursed Rangers
11-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Here is what baseball has become:

The low level teams work like crazy to build a farm team. Hope they catch lightening in a bottle and have a couple good years, before they have to tear it down and start all over again.

If the low level team has only one or two pure stars they trade that star to a mid level team. The mid level team empties their farm in order to have one or two years of having a shot at winning the title.

2 or 3 years after a player has been in the league, everyone knows where he is going to sign when he is a FA.

I am a die hard Rangers fan, and there are already a ton of people stating that Elvis Andrus will be the next Yankees shortstop. That is just crazy that someone can even consider that at this point of his career.

I am not complaining/whining, just stating the facts. I actually love seeing the Yankees lose a playoff round. Something about taking down a team with that type of payroll, makes the victories against them that much sweeter.

Signing Lee to a 7 year deal makes zero sense for any team, regardless if it the Yankees, Rangers, or anyone else. He was injured on and off all throughout 2010. To think he is going to be worth a mega contract in 6 -7 years is a stretch.

miller74
11-23-2010, 04:56 PM

So true, as a blue jay fan, watching fans, media, and former GM JP Riccardi, do nothing about whine about it, im so sick of hearing it as an excuse. Minnesota Twins are the model franchise for teams than cannot be big spenders.

11-23-2010, 04:58 PM
One Red Sox fan in this thread already predicted Lee will be washed up after three seasons. My predictions from the FA thread are spot on and Lee has not signed anything yet.

Bo Sox Fan
11-23-2010, 05:05 PM

Enter Theo Epstein and the Boston Red Sox.

Swishalicious
11-23-2010, 05:06 PM

The current offer is ridiculous enough as it is...

I hope a team tries to be smart and tries to drive up the price and actually end up with Lee... that would be great =D

Swishalicious
11-23-2010, 05:09 PM

Your avatar would look real funny if Adrian Gonzalez was traded to another team this offseason... sadly he is likely to end up in Boston. Know what's even sadder than that though... last year I knew a Boston Red Sox fan that BOUGHT a custom Teixeira red sox jersey. Then the Yankees stole him away last minute.... biggest waste of $$ ever

11-23-2010, 05:10 PM

Red Sox are not going to drive up anything past 140/6. What are they going to do? Offer 150/6 with the potential that Lee takes it and the Yankees do not counter?

The_Franchise13
11-23-2010, 05:19 PM
The current offer is ridiculous enough as it is...

I hope a team tries to be smart and tries to drive up the price and actually end up with Lee... that would be great =D

Dodgers?! For 7/200! Price of McCourt's mansions right? LOL.

You still haven't sent the Giants a congratulatory gift basket. It better contain Swisher, possibly Gardner =P.

Madness23
11-23-2010, 05:20 PM
this is laughable !!! Lee could become a majority owner of the Pirates or the Royals !!! what a mess, MLB has become

Bo Sox Fan
11-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Red Sox are not going to drive up anything past 140/6. What are they going to do? Offer 150/6 with the potential that Lee takes it and the Yankees do not counter?

Not that we need him... but we can afford it with V-Mart, Beltre, Lowell, Lugo (2010) Drew, Scutaro, Ortiz, Cameron (2011) all coming off the books!

I will say there is about a .001% chance Lee ends up in Boston, but if he did that would be a great problem to have putting him at the top of the rotation with Lester, Bucholz and a healthy Beckett, Lackey and Matsuzaka (no World Baseball Classic this offseason to worry about)

But I would rather take Adrian Gonzalez at the trade deadline and give him the Texeira money that has been collecting cob-webs in the bank account for the past 2 seasons over Cliff Lee any day.

11-23-2010, 05:21 PM

You still haven't sent the Giants a congratulatory gift basket. It better contain Swisher, possibly Gardner =P.

Giants only get that gift basket if Lee signs with the Yankees. The basket contains Kei Igawa.

The_Franchise13
11-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Giants only get that gift basket if Lee signs with the Yankees. The basket contains Kei Igawa.

Keep it.

If he doesn't sign with the Yankees...

Can I interest you in another lefty? Zito, Barry. Send you a gift basket full of cheese and various meats that are bound to pop up in malls across America with him!

Super.
11-23-2010, 05:28 PM

Cool, then we get Lee. Say hello to the greatest rotation ever.

Lee
Buchholz
Lester
Becket
Lackey/Dice-K

Yankees Suck
11-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Since the Yanks will land Lee I hope they overpay more than they expect to. It is funny the Yanks will spend ungodly amounts of money to land free agents. Once it is time to bring their captain back they then become frugal with their millions.

Rylinkus
11-23-2010, 05:33 PM
A 3 year / 45 million dollar offer to a 36 year old SS is being frugal?

11-23-2010, 05:34 PM

Lee
Buchholz
Lester
Becket
Lackey/Dice-K

I'm pretty sure the Red Sox plans don't call for signing a pitcher for $25 mill per season for the next 6 years. A-Gon is something they are a lot more interested in. They can't have both you know, they are not the Yankees. :p

dtmagnet
11-23-2010, 05:34 PM
I think he's got 2 to 3 years left of being an ace, then you'll end up with 3 or 4 years of AJ Burnett to the extreme.

Yankees Suck
11-23-2010, 05:37 PM
A 3 year / 45 million dollar offer to a 36 year old SS is being frugal?

The Yanks will spend countless amounts of money on A-roid into his 40's.

YEDN90
11-23-2010, 05:43 PM
The Yanks will spend countless amounts of money on A-roid into his 40's.

Arod is still grossly better at the plate and plays better D than Jeter.

Not that it excuses his contract, it doesn't, but he's by far a better player.

theslick1
11-23-2010, 05:52 PM
I think he's got 2 to 3 years left of being an ace, then you'll end up with 3 or 4 years of AJ Burnett to the extreme.

More likely 2-3 years of being an ace and 3-4 years of being an old Greg Maddux. Lee is nothing like Burnett.

Swishalicious
11-23-2010, 05:58 PM

Haha, nah I sent the gift basket the week after the Giants won... it was filled with cash considerations... yankees suck at giving gifts, all that money and no thought :\

Swisher and Garnder!! But they are two of my favorites!! Will you settle for Damaso Marte? Hard throwing lefty with absolutely NO control? And he won't be healthy till the all-star break? Or maybe a washed up shortstop that has yet to sign, but will be overpaid, whether its $20 million a year or $15 million a year.

The Jokemaker
11-23-2010, 06:04 PM
As a Yankees fan I'm not completely sold on a 6 year deal however I think he's the kind of pitcher that can still be effective 4-5 years down the line. He'll be grossly overpaid but thats the price you pay of free agency.

MelanconMadness
11-23-2010, 06:21 PM

Thats only if he goes to the Yankees right? If he goes elsewhere, hes still going to be a god for 4-5 years right?

mystro810
11-23-2010, 06:21 PM

Lee
Buchholz
Lester
Becket
Lackey/Dice-K

man, talk about an expensive #5 starter. that about 180 million the Red Sox threw at Lackey and Dice K. Sucks to have to fill out those checks

mystro810
11-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Thats only if he goes to the Yankees right? If he goes elsewhere, hes still going to be a god for 4-5 years right?

:clap:

Mike Oxlong
11-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Payroll for the Yankees if the Jeter, Rivera, Lee signings go down as planned? Anyone got a estimate on that?

Skizzik
11-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Payroll for the Yankees if the Jeter, Rivera, Lee signings go down as planned? Anyone got a estimate on that?

Let's just say it's so much, that the Yankees might as well buy the Royals too so they can use them as an extra farm system and just continuously send top draft picks to the Yankees. They'd probably save money that way.

Mike Oxlong
11-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Let's just say it's so much, that the Yankees might as well buy the Royals too so they can use them as an extra farm system and just continuously send top draft picks to the Yankees. They'd probably save money that way.

Jeffy, where are you to tell me this is good for baseball?

J-Loco
11-23-2010, 06:51 PM
LOL cue the salary cap band wagon clowns again! If this is true it is almost a sure thing that Lee will be a Yankee I don't care how you spin it. The only way Texas matches this offer is if they decide to let several of their key players to walk in the next year or two. They don't have the capital or the fan base to support this kind of spending.

Jeffy25
11-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Enough of this crap, god.

I won't have another post in this thread, you guys are ridiculous.

Jeffy, where are you to tell me this is good for baseball?

There are certainly other pitchers that would benefit from this contract, enforcing owners to spend more.

Jays Claw
11-23-2010, 06:57 PM

Agreed. Texas should just take their 2 compensation picks and move on. I wouldn't be willing to give a 32-year-old that big of contract. Although he'll most likely pitch out of his mind the first 2-3 years. And as for the Rangers, they'll still be in contention. They've got a newly expanded payroll and are easily the best team in their division. Not to mention their up-and-coming prospects.

Jeffy25
11-23-2010, 06:59 PM

seeing how it lowers for Jeter, Rivera will probably get close to the same that he did get, and Lee is getting the money that dropped off from Vazquez and Pettitte.

It's actually dropping, or is on pace to.

Melo15
11-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Not sure I get the Yankees strategy here. If I were them I would just offer more money per year over a 4 year period. It's obvious that they are going to have to overpay to be able to get Lee to leave Texas to come to New York but this deal is just crazy. They would end up with Lee, C.C., Teixeira and A-Rod at the back end of their contracts eating up like half their payroll. I don't know if I buy this report.

SouljahPhil...
11-23-2010, 07:11 PM
I hope we stick to 5 years and increase the salary per year...

SouljahPhil...
11-23-2010, 07:12 PM
oh and btw here is the last part of the statement..can someone post it in the 1st page..

An industry source told Yahoo's Tim Brown yesterday that the Yankees offered Cliff Lee "nearly $140MM over six years, but Lee continues to hold out for a seventh year." Brown does not appear to have full confidence in the source, as the item was placed low in the column and he notes that he was unable to confirm the offer with the Yankees or Lee's agent. We found the link via Joe Pawlikowski of River Ave. Blues, who has a good take on the rumor.

Cursed Rangers
11-23-2010, 07:14 PM
this is laughable !!! Lee could become a majority owner of the Pirates or the Royals !!! what a mess, MLB has become

I agree 110%. The contracts that are being signed these days are what some franchises sold for not too long ago. It is getting out of control.

The_Franchise13
11-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Haha, nah I sent the gift basket the week after the Giants won... it was filled with cash considerations... yankees suck at giving gifts, all that money and no thought :\

Swisher and Garnder!! But they are two of my favorites!! Will you settle for Damaso Marte? Hard throwing lefty with absolutely NO control? And he won't be healthy till the all-star break? Or maybe a washed up shortstop that has yet to sign, but will be overpaid, whether its $20 million a year or $15 million a year.

Bolded: What do you call all those HRs to the Rangers? :shush:

How'd I know this topic was going to change to LOLSALARYCAP the moment it was posted?

hugepatsfan
11-23-2010, 08:14 PM
seeing how it lowers for Jeter, Rivera will probably get close to the same that he did get, and Lee is getting the money that dropped off from Vazquez and Pettitte.

It's actually dropping, or is on pace to.

Yup. And when the contractual parasite that is Jorge Posada is up next year, 13 mil comes off. And we already have a catcher relacement in the farm. I think the Yankees are going to be down to 180 mil in payroll by the next 3-5 years. Still high, but I think Cash is different than the Boss. He isn't a 230 mil payroll type of guy IMO.

11-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Yup. And when the contractual parasite that is Jorge Posada is up next year, 13 mil comes off. And we already have a catcher relacement in the farm. I think the Yankees are going to be down to 180 mil in payroll by the next 3-5 years. Still high, but I think Cash is different than the Boss. He isn't a 230 mil payroll type of guy IMO.

I miss The Boss. If he was still around Jeter would have his 5/100 contract, Mo would have 2/36 and he would have backed the Brinks trucks onto Lee's driveway with 7/161. :D

The Jokemaker
11-23-2010, 08:18 PM
People who are complaining about a salary cap: this move will result in the Yankees heavily overpaying for an old pitcher later on and limit their flexibility.

And all the blame doesn't rely on the Yankees for increasing salaries.

Johan, Kevin Brown, Zito, original Arod deal, Beltran. All those deals were given by teams NOT named the Yankees and thus helped drive up the market. Salaries are going up in the NFL too, want to blame that on the Cowboys? Get real folks.

quade36
11-23-2010, 08:38 PM
People who are complaining about a salary cap: this move will result in the Yankees heavily overpaying for an old pitcher later on and limit their flexibility.

And all the blame doesn't rely on the Yankees for increasing salaries.

Johan, Kevin Brown, Zito, original Arod deal, Beltran. All those deals were given by teams NOT named the Yankees and thus helped drive up the market. Salaries are going up in the NFL too, want to blame that on the Cowboys? Get real folks.

Bold statement when the yankees have the 4 highest paid players in baseball now. If they land Lee, they'll have the top 5. Lets not sugar coat this. Teams like the yankees overpaying for even the relief pitchers drives up salaries for other teams. (See Kyle Farnsworth) One team SHOULD NOT have the top 5 salaries in baseball when there are 30 teams in the league.

But hey, if you think that is cool and makes this game a better game somehow, all the power to you. Enjoy watching the game get more watered down. Also, if you have the viewpoint that this is okay you should be a promoter of decreasing the number of teams in baseball.

Jeffy25
11-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Bold statement when the yankees have the 4 highest paid players in baseball now.

Tex, C.C, and A-Rod make 4?

And Albert is probably about to be up there.

Trying not to post, but I just keep seeing casual baseball fans making stupid comments.

I can't help it, sorry.

ShinobiNYC
11-23-2010, 09:16 PM
And like I guessed this ended up being a false rumour...The Yankees are yet to make an offer to Lee and his agent.

The Jokemaker
11-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Fact is I'd rather see teams like the Yankees in sports than teams like the Marlins and Pirates who you have to tie their arms to make them finally spend money on players. And having the highest payroll in the league has yet to equal championships every year so there's no real argument to make.

Yeah the Yankees had the 4 highest out of the top 5 salaries in baseball. Another way to spin that is they had 5 out of the top 25.

And here are those 5 players: Arod, CC, Jeter, Tex, then 20th is Burnett.

Now, are ANY of those guys the absolute best at their position? Answer is no. Many would say Longoria is now the better 3b than Arod. There are a few other pitchers out there some would say are better than CC. Jeter has faded considerably and is definitely outshined at SS by other players in the league. Tex is one of the better 1b in the league but Pujols, Votto, and A-Gonzalez are in that argument as well. And Burnett well, no team in the league wants that guy.

So what's the point? The Yankees are overpaying for players who many would say aren't the best at their position. If they had 20 out of the top 25 highest salaries and every one was the best at their position, then yeah that's insane. But that's not the case. At all.

Now with all this "Oh the Yankees are driving up salaries for everybody in the league" nonsense. Let's REALLY think about this. Did the Yankees make the Mets severely overpay for Krod? I guess that was Rivera's fault? Oh and that Vernon Wells contract, that's because of the Matsui contract. The Benoit deal? Clearly the result of the Farnsworth contract. Oh and don't forget Martinez and Buck's deals are all because of Posada. Does that make any sense? The Yankees aren't setting the market and making everything more expensive for every poor little team in the league. This is the result of the current needs of teams in the league, other team's contracts given out, inflation, and just the natural progression of things. To say the Yankees are the sole reason for the rise in contracts is preposterous.

Swishalicious
11-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Fact is I'd rather see teams like the Yankees in sports than teams like the Marlins and Pirates who you have to tie their arms to make them finally spend money on players. And having the highest payroll in the league has yet to equal championships every year so there's no real argument to make.

Yeah the Yankees had the 4 highest out of the top 5 salaries in baseball. Another way to spin that is they had 5 out of the top 25.

Now, are ANY of those guys the absolute best at their position? Answer is no. Many would say Longoria is now the better 3b than Arod. There are a few other pitchers out there some would say are better than CC. Jeter has faded considerably and is definitely outshined at SS by other players in the league. Tex is one of the better 1b in the league but Pujols, Votto, and A-Gonzalez are in that argument as well. And Burnett well, no team in the league wants that guy.

So what's the point? The Yankees are overpaying for players who many would say aren't the best at their position. If they had 20 out of the top 25 highest salaries and every one was the best at their position, then yeah that's insane. But that's not the case. At all.

Now with all this "Oh the Yankees are driving up salaries for everybody in the league" nonsense. Let's REALLY think about this. Did the Yankees make the Mets severely overpay for Krod? I guess that was Rivera's fault? Oh and that Vernon Wells contract, that's because of the Matsui contract. The Benoit deal? Clearly the result of the Farnsworth contract. Oh and don't forget Martinez and Buck's deals are all because of Posada. Does that make any sense? The Yankees aren't setting the market and making everything more expensive for every poor little team in the league. This is the result of the current needs of teams in the league, other team's contracts given out, inflation, and just the natural progression of things. To say the Yankees are the sole reason for the rise in contracts is preposterous.

It's okay dude, don't worry about it. There are just yankee haters out there and you cannot say or prove anything to them. They are simply jealous of the yankee success and they rationalize it with excuses... even if the yankees didnt spend the most $$/give large contracts... wouldn't matter, they'd find SOMETHING to use.

So at the end, just enjoy the benefits of being a yankee fan and dont let haters get to you.... instead think that they are so obsessed with the yankee success, that its actually sad... since their team doesn't have much going on, they spend their time finding ways to discredit yankee success

xabial
11-23-2010, 11:18 PM

Im a Yankee Fan, and now i know what it feels like to be spoiled. Six years is WAY too much... (Just Look all Pitchers who earn 100M in contracts MINUS CC.) They ALL Turned BAD. The first one that comes to my head is Barry Zito.
(Not comparing Lee to Zito, Just his position in the FA Market was similar to Zito).. Lee's signing really looks good on paper but if you an educated fan you know how terrible contracts can really cripple franchises EVEN the Yankees. Do you know how much your paying Him and for SIX Years? Really hope this is a BS Rumor..

i hope i reached my point across before this turns into a salary cap debate.

nithanyo
11-24-2010, 01:13 AM

had the yankees not spent so much teams like the marlins and pirates can afford to be players in the free agent market

Pride
11-24-2010, 02:11 AM
had the yankees not spent so much teams like the marlins and pirates can afford to be players in the free agent market

Marlins and Pirates can spend if they want, they just choose not to. They don't have to go after a superstar. Just a bunch of decent guys would be enough.

theslick1
11-24-2010, 04:10 AM

Let me see if I have it right. If the Yankees hadn't bought CC Sabathia, Teixeira, and Burnett, then the Marlins and Pirates could afford to be "players in the free agent market"? How exactly would that have worked?

The Yankees don't buy those guys, less luxury tax money goes to the Marlins and Pirates, and the Marlins and Pirates magically end up with more money to spend on free agents?

Jeffy25
11-24-2010, 04:23 AM

Not true, again.

Jesus.

They don't all of a sudden have more money, or an owner that is willing to spend more just because the Yankees spend less.

Tone091
11-24-2010, 10:31 AM
I smell a Barry Zito or Kevin Brown!!!

SouljahPhil...
11-24-2010, 10:47 AM
jeffy I love you more..lol

SouljahPhil...
11-24-2010, 10:47 AM
jealous much?????

yankswin27
11-24-2010, 12:23 PM
I love how everybody compares Cliff Lee to Barry Zito/Kevin Brown on a long-term deal. First off, Zito has always been a soft-thrower, walks a lot of batters and has never been a strikeout artist. Cliff Lee is the complete opposite, at least he is actually deserving of the money that Zito got. Lee is one of those pitchers that can pitch until he is 40 years old and still be effective, kind of like Andy Pettitte. The reason why is because is has pinpoint control, he WILL NOT walk any batters. He also racks up a lot of strikeouts. Even when he gets older and his K/9 numbers drop, the control will always be there for him, that's what seperates him from Zito or any of the other pitchers in recent history who have gotten ridiculous contracts. Mike Hampton is a joke, Kevin Brown always has been a joke, I can go on and on really. All in all, Cliff Lee deserves the money that is coming his way.

papipapsmanny
11-24-2010, 12:56 PM
I highly doubt he he will have a sub 2.00 BB/9 going forward especially in the AL East if he ends up there

i really think the questions wouldnt be there as much if he didn't have such a weird and questionable career path

Swishalicious
11-24-2010, 02:26 PM
I highly doubt he he will have a sub 2.00 BB/9 going forward especially in the AL East if he ends up there

i really think the questions wouldnt be there as much if he didn't have such a weird and questionable career path

I don't think he can sustain a sub 2 BB/9 either... just doesn't seem possible, especially after a couple of homers leave yankee stadium to the porch in right... (assuming yankees can sign him of course).

But I actually LIKE his career path. His struggles made him go back to the minors and reinvent himself... and if he can reinvent himself, then I think he is going to be able to do it again if necessary.... kinda reminds me of Roy Halladay... or Mussina in his last year of his career.

Jeffy25
11-24-2010, 03:50 PM
jeffy I love you more..lol

:)

Thank you good sir

11-24-2010, 05:06 PM

What? I'm not sure how this makes sense.

metsgiants5710
11-24-2010, 06:06 PM
i hope the yanks are enjoying six years from now when they are paying a washed up arod 28 mil a 38 lee 23 mil tex and sabathia will be going down hill i would not match that if i was texas no one over 30 deserves more than 5 and at 32 id give him 4 max

11-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Bitter Mets fan. What a surprise.

levignjw
11-24-2010, 06:14 PM

And way too much $$$. The Yankees can have him.

NYYCowboys
11-24-2010, 06:15 PM
i hope the yanks are enjoying six years from now when they are paying a washed up arod 28 mil a 38 lee 23 mil tex and sabathia will be going down hill i would not match that if i was texas no one over 30 deserves more than 5 and at 32 id give him 4 max

Yeah and I hope the Mets are enjoying six years from now when they're still irrelevant.

MelanconMadness
11-24-2010, 06:30 PM

Beltran
Bay
Santana

The_Franchise13
11-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Players get vastly more overrated when they become Yankees. Duh.

AddiX
11-24-2010, 06:43 PM
I love how people keep saying how we over pay.

You guys don't realize that the Yankees don't operate or think anything like your bush league organization.

Yankees strive for greatness every year. A full rebuilding process will never happen here. We don't end a season thinking, hey at least our young guys are coming along. We say "****, we didn't get a ring."

This is a team built by Legends. When you think of great players, and great historical teams, you always think of Yankees.

How is it we overpay yet make a profit every year? It's because when you think about the Yankees and the overall picture, The Yankee's = Greatness.

papipapsmanny
11-24-2010, 07:17 PM
I love how people keep saying how we over pay.

You guys don't realize that the Yankees don't operate or think anything like your bush league organization.

Yankees strive for greatness every year. A full rebuilding process will never happen here. We don't end a season thinking, hey at least our young guys are coming along. We say "****, we didn't get a ring."

This is a team built by Legends. When you think of great players, and great historical teams, you always think of Yankees.

How is it we overpay yet make a profit every year? It's because when you think about the Yankees and the overall picture, The Yankee's = Greatness.

Or its because you have rich *** owners who are completely reckless with their money......

Their strategy right now makes it so they would probably win a WS 1 every 10 years.... not all that bad, but def not worth what they pay (And you don't have to remind me about the Sox and 86 years because I could give a ****, because well I wasn't alive then and it has nothing to do with future success.

Since around 01-02 they have been handing out such absurd contracts, and it netted them one WS. They have aging players so their is a very short window to have a WS team, good enough to get in the playoffs but when they run into a team that is better they will lose (obviously), and 09 they were the best and won (obviously)

But this next round of signings looks like a potential dagger.

The yankees will not be able to rid themselves of CC, Tex, Arod, Jeter (when he resigns, and Lee (If he signs)

2013 the youngest dude would be like 33 or 34, and still in most cases have 3 or 4 years left on their deal. That sounds terrible, and these players will decline its the way of baseball life unless ur like a ted williams type.

Player depreciate just the way it is.

Even if the Yanks signed Lee I do not think they would be that much better, especially considering pettite leaving and core aging into their mid and late 30s.

The yankees better hope their Farm turns hype into substance, because their best prospect is basically a DH

Every team has old players but the yanks have a lot of em, and the one thing they always seem to neglect is their bullpen, which always holds them down (bar 09 when they had a very good one)

Jeffy25
11-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Or its because you have rich *** owners who are completely reckless with their money......

I stopped reading here, mainly because of how ridiculous this statement is.

If they are so reckless, then what the **** is everyone else *****ing about here? It's because they are tooo good, right?

How can you guys complain they are too good, and then in the next post how reckless and irresponsible they are with their money?

AddiX
11-24-2010, 07:56 PM

Their strategy right now makes it so they would probably win a WS 1 every 10 years.... not all that bad, but def not worth what they pay (And you don't have to remind me about the Sox and 86 years because I could give a ****, because well I wasn't alive then and it has nothing to do with future success.

Since around 01-02 they have been handing out such absurd contracts, and it netted them one WS. They have aging players so their is a very short window to have a WS team, good enough to get in the playoffs but when they run into a team that is better they will lose (obviously), and 09 they were the best and won (obviously)

But this next round of signings looks like a potential dagger.

The yankees will not be able to rid themselves of CC, Tex, Arod, Jeter (when he resigns, and Lee (If he signs)

2013 the youngest dude would be like 33 or 34, and still in most cases have 3 or 4 years left on their deal. That sounds terrible, and these players will decline its the way of baseball life unless ur like a ted williams type.

Player depreciate just the way it is.

Even if the Yanks signed Lee I do not think they would be that much better, especially considering pettite leaving and core aging into their mid and late 30s.

The yankees better hope their Farm turns hype into substance, because their best prospect is basically a DH

Every team has old players but the yanks have a lot of em, and the one thing they always seem to neglect is their bullpen, which always holds them down (bar 09 when they had a very good one)

All this coming from a Red Sox fan? Take a look in the mirror bud, you guys spend a lot yourselves and your only rings were won by a older team.

For whatever reason you guys decided to get cheap yet your ticket prices are damn near close to ours.

If anything, you guys are getting ripped off. Yankee fans expect to get better when we don't win. And don't act like Sox fans weren't pissed when we outbid them for a lot of the players we have now.

pasquale
11-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Dumb Yankees. I will enjoy reminding you NY fools the next six years . Cliff comes with his own chiropractor. Wait till the AL East batters get through with him .

papipapsmanny
11-24-2010, 08:47 PM
I stopped reading here, mainly because of how ridiculous this statement is.

If they are so reckless, then what the **** is everyone else *****ing about here? It's because they are tooo good, right?

How can you guys complain they are too good, and then in the next post how reckless and irresponsible they are with their money?

when did I post they were too good? Your point has no substance. I mean one WS in the last 10 seasons in "too good".

Or the fact if the Sox stayed somewhat healthy they would have been right there with them... so they are too good?

They are not very fiscally responsible, but luckily for them they can afford it..... for now (who knows what happens with George's money)

You can be rich and be very reckless with money and then down the road lose ur *** (Lehman Brothers), but I don't see the yanks getting so reckless that they commit fraud, so that would never happen.

But you clearly are mixed up, signing Arod to that contract was reckless, so was signing CC (In terms of production on the field, when we were even futher down the road in their career.

yankeefan54
11-24-2010, 08:49 PM
when did I post they were too good? Your point has no substance. I mean one WS in the last 10 seasons in "too good".

Or the fact if the Sox stayed somewhat healthy they would have been right there with them... so they are too good?

They are not very fiscally responsible, but luckily for them they can afford it..... for now (who knows what happens with George's money)

You can be rich and be very reckless with money and then down the road lose ur *** (Lehman Brothers), but I don't see the yanks getting so reckless that they commit fraud, so that would never happen.

But you clearly are mixed up, signing Arod to that contract was reckless, so was signing CC (In terms of production on the field, when we were even futher down the road in their career.

How was CCs reckless and arod yes crazy but he was/is a great player albert pujols will get more than him so will that make the cardinals reckless or ablert a bad signing

11-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Stupid Yankees ownership/front office. How dare they try and spend the money they earned on improving their team and doing whatever they can within MLB rules to win a championship. They should be ashamed of themselves for not holding back and thinking of other teams. They should be thinking about their competition and allow them to have a chance at some free agents. Who cares if baseball is a competitive sport and every teams goal in MLB is to win a championship. Their fans are even worse for not condemning the Yankees and protesting for them to change their ways. We all know if other teams spent like the Yankees their fanbase would protest and plead for them to stop spending.

:rolleyes:

papipapsmanny
11-24-2010, 09:12 PM
All this coming from a Red Sox fan? Take a look in the mirror bud, you guys spend a lot yourselves and your only rings were won by a older team.

For whatever reason you guys decided to get cheap yet your ticket prices are damn near close to ours.

If anything, you guys are getting ripped off. Yankee fans expect to get better when we don't win. And don't act like Sox fans weren't pissed when we outbid them for a lot of the players we have now.

What?? Like I said the yanks have windows to win, The Redsox had a short time period to win an WS (03-04), If they didn't win it in 04, they would have had to wait until 07, because Martinez started entering his mid 30s, schilling was almost done, and millar and mueller, and nixon did not have many productive years left.

07 was completely different, and not an old team at all.

For main contributers the oldest members were manny (35), Schilling (40) who we were lucky to have him managed to do as well as he did. Lowell (33) last year of players prime, and Tek (35) his last somewhat productive year of his career.

Plus They were all coming to the end of their contracts, Lowell was an FA (stupidly resigned him to 3 years), manny had 08 and then it was up to the soc whether to keep him or not, schilling an FA, and same with Tek.

The only 2 older guys under contract for at least 3 years after 07, were both 31 (Lugo, and Drew), Drew's contract was fine, and you saw what happened to Lugo (and he was only making 9 million per year, and was virtually unmovable, but he did suck so...) but remember they were 31.

Now lets look at the yankees a year from now at the end of the 2011 season. Ill assume jeter gets a 3-4 year deal and they sign lee to a 5-6 year deal.

Arod- will be 36 with 6 years left on his contract

Jeter- will be 37 with 2-3 years left on his contract

Tex- Will be 31 with 5 years left (not terrible, but still bad taking 22 mil per year)

CC- Will be 31 with 4 years left, not terrible in years but huge risk with the money he is making, and his weight.

Lee- Will be 33 with 4-5 years left on his contract makinf 20 mill plus:puke::puke:

Burnett- will be 34 with 2 years left on his contract:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

This and the fact that Rivera, Pettite, and Posada will most likely will be all done with their career, really makes you wonder when the yanks will win if they do not win within the next 2 years, and should make the yanks a bit weary of going after jeter and Lee.

Plus unless they want a 250 million dollar payroll it will make it difficult to get anymore star FAs

papipapsmanny
11-24-2010, 09:14 PM
How was CCs reckless and arod yes crazy but he was/is a great player albert pujols will get more than him so will that make the cardinals reckless or ablert a bad signing

CC was too many years, it could work out, but such a huge risk, his knees could go out anytime, or start having continuous knee problems

papipapsmanny
11-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Stupid Yankees ownership/front office. How dare they try and spend the money they earned on improving their team and doing whatever they can within MLB rules to win a championship. They should be ashamed of themselves for not holding back and thinking of other teams. They should be thinking about their competition and allow them to have a chance at some free agents. Who cares if baseball is a competitive sport and every teams goal in MLB is to win a championship. Their fans are even worse for not condemning the Yankees and protesting for them to change their ways. We all know if other teams spent like the Yankees their fanbase would protest and plead for them to stop spending.

:rolleyes:

Are you really that ignorant to believe that the yankees are the only ones who spend as much money that they possible can. Like to actually think the yanks are the only ones who don't save all the money they possibly can in order to make the owner more money? you have a clear cut competitive advantage over the rest of the league, just like the Angels, Dodgers, Mets, Red Sox, and the bigger market teams have one over what is left of the league.

Difference between you and me is that Ill admit it, instead of making statements that the Sox are just willing to spend more money (no they just have and make more money, which has more to do with their markets than the product on the field, even though that is still important.

The marlins can put a great product on the field and they still won't see much in terms of attendance (see 2003)

11-24-2010, 09:19 PM
I find it interesting that Red Sox fans always seem so concerned with what the Yankees are doing but Yankees fans hardly care what the Red Sox are doing. Whats with the obsession?

11-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Are you really that ignorant to believe that the yankees are the only ones who spend as much money that they possible can. Like to actually think the yanks are the only ones who don't save all the money they possibly can in order to make the owner more money? you have a clear cut competitive advantage over the rest of the league, just like the Angels, Dodgers, Mets, Red Sox, and the bigger market teams have one over what is left of the league.

Difference between you and me is that Ill admit it, instead of making statements that the Sox are just willing to spend more money (no they just have and make more money, which has more to do with their markets than the product on the field, even though that is still important.

The marlins can put a great product on the field and they still won't see much in terms of attendance (see 2003)

I never denied the Yankees have a competitive advantage, nice way of pulling something out of your ***. The Yankees play in the largest city of any MLB team and have a huge fanbase. However who cares if they have a competitive advantage. They are not doing anything that is breaking MLB rules, they are competing within the rules given to them and every other team.

papipapsmanny
11-24-2010, 09:27 PM
uh oh the trash talking has started? ehh im not going to say anything, but ill say ur line for you "but the yanks have 27 Rings, even though it has no relevance to anything or the production on the field, or future/current success, or who is better than who, I still find it as a valid, logical, and mature argument".

Im voicing my opinion, I pay attention to what the yanks, and rays do now because well they are the main competition. Like in football i pay attention to what the teams in the NFC East do because I am a skins fan, etc.

papipapsmanny
11-24-2010, 09:30 PM
I never denied the Yankees have a competitive advantage, nice way of pulling something out of your ***. The Yankees play in the largest city of any MLB team and have a huge fanbase. However who cares if they have a competitive advantage. They are not doing anything that is breaking MLB rules, they are competing within the rules given to them and every other team.

I don't care all that much, but you made it sound like the yankees just happen to spend more money because they have an excellent business model, and deny a competitive advantage (because a lot of yankees fans did that in the yankees buy their rings thread)

papipapsmanny
11-24-2010, 09:31 PM
And perhaps I should not general 1903, with the 27 rings argument, u could very easily not be like that.

11-24-2010, 09:33 PM
uh oh the trash talking has started? ehh im not going to say anything, but ill say ur line for you "but the yanks have 27 Rings, even though it has no relevance to anything or the production on the field, or future/current success, or who is better than who, I still find it as a valid, logical, and mature argument".

Im voicing my opinion, I pay attention to what the yanks, and rays do now because well they are the main competition. Like in football i pay attention to what the teams in the NFC East do because I am a skins fan, etc.

:laugh: @ "trash talking." Translation = What he said was true and I don't have anything better to say. Bottom line is the Yankees compete fairly with the rules outlined by MLB.

papipapsmanny
11-24-2010, 09:51 PM
:laugh: @ "trash talking." Translation = What he said was true and I don't have anything better to say. Bottom line is the Yankees compete fairly with the rules outlined by MLB.

Really.... I mean Really??

And no one is denying ur 2nd point, but u have to take both sides of that. Marlins winning the WS 2 years in a row would be 10 times more impressive then the yanks winning 2 in a row. That is just the way it will be.

So yankees fans should not get all mad when people say they overpay or that their WS is a little less meaningful then if another team won it because both are true. Doesn't mean u all should not feel awesome when they do win them, but the marlins or Nats winning it would just be incredible for everyone to see. Watching the Marlins in 03 was an awesome thing to see, that team was really built up through the draft. 04 sox was incredible to see because of their history, 07 was not as memorable or important as 04, nor would it be if they win with a monster payroll in 2011

Jeffy25
11-25-2010, 01:15 AM

The why the **** do you care what the Yankees spend? If they only win once every 10 years, why do you care?

Hell you are a Red Sox fan, your team is just as bad.

If they spend so recklessly, then why the **** do you care? It doesn't effect you in Boston, so let it go, leave it alone.

Halopower31
11-25-2010, 01:25 AM
Angels get him for 5yr 110mil

SouljahPhil...
11-25-2010, 01:45 AM
Angels get him for 5yr 110mil

lee won't settle for that..

sexicano31
11-25-2010, 02:03 AM
Because its hurt them before? Thats a silly statement....There is a list of players that have been paid big and under performed..

Seeing as how 3 of them will have been the core of the starting rotation, starting SS, starting 1b, starting 3b yes it could hurt them. You cant put them ALL at DH everyday

oak2455
11-25-2010, 02:11 AM
Seeing as how 3 of them will have been the core of the starting rotation, starting SS, starting 1b, starting 3b yes it could hurt them. You cant put them ALL at DH everyday

ss moves to 3rd Arod becomes DH Tex is still young but its ok to hate:D

sexicano31
11-25-2010, 02:14 AM
ss moves to 3rd Arod becomes DH Tex is still young but its ok to hate:D

Yes, because im talking about NOW. Like i said, FUTURE, lets say 3-4 years. Ok, ok jeter MIGHT be gone but theres no guarantee. And what happens then? You have an old tex, old arod, old swisher and granderson, posada will be gone, CC will be well aged, burnett as well, and the same with arod. What are you going to do then? Plug guys in from the farm? Im not hating, im being realistic. Clear your head of the homerism please

boomheadshot45
11-25-2010, 02:14 AM
lee won't settle for that..
And there's no need for the Angels to pursue a SP. The Angel's SP is their strength. They need offense. And they'll pursue Beltre and Crawford.

oak2455
11-25-2010, 02:23 AM
Yes, because im talking about NOW. Like i said, FUTURE, lets say 3-4 years. Ok, ok jeter MIGHT be gone but theres no guarantee. And what happens then? You have an old tex, old arod, old swisher and granderson, posada will be gone, CC will be well aged, burnett as well, and the same with arod. What are you going to do then? Plug guys in from the farm? Im not hating, im being realistic. Clear your head of the homerism please
dude everyone gets old just like this conversation old btw how has this effected the Yanks over the last 15 yrs????

oak2455
11-25-2010, 02:24 AM
This is a Cliff Lee thread right??

papipapsmanny
11-25-2010, 02:28 AM
The why the **** do you care what the Yankees spend? If they only win once every 10 years, why do you care?

Hell you are a Red Sox fan, your team is just as bad.

If they spend so recklessly, then why the **** do you care? It doesn't effect you in Boston, so let it go, leave it alone.

What the **** u care that I care?

Do I care, or did i make an opinion then defend that opinion with arguments/evidence

Swishalicious
11-25-2010, 02:55 AM
welcome come to our b2cshop website:( http://www.b2cjersey.us )

everybody!sorry bother your time a min,we are serious and professional jersey supplier,we can offer NFL,NHL,MLB,NBA jerser,the NFL jersey 18usd each,the NHL jersey 38USD each.MLB jersey 18usd each,NAB jersey 18usd each.we have many jerseys of other players, so please contact us for more information if you are interested in .

1) More pictures available on our website ( http://www.b2cjersey.us )

2) Many colors available .
3) Perfect quality, small order accepted .
4) 100% safe door to door delivery, within 5 - 7 days air express for small orders .

5) We have lots of jerseys in stock

6) Letters and number are sewn on b2cshop body, 100% embroidery

7) Size: .48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 60

8) Delivery by UPS, DHL, EMS door to door

9) Delivery in 5 - 7 days

NFL,NBA,MLB all are 18usd!!!!

The jerseys in stock may be updated everyday !
come on,join us!

( http://www.b2cjersey.us )

Guys, guys, guys....

let's stop this endless bickering and join together and hate this idiot together =D

DodgerB24
11-25-2010, 03:05 AM
Guys, guys, guys....

let's stop this endless bickering and join together and hate this idiot together =D

Sounds good! :cheers:

Mr Haha
11-25-2010, 03:35 AM
I find it interesting that Red Sox fans always seem so concerned with what the Yankees are doing but Yankees fans hardly care what the Red Sox are doing. Whats with the obsession?

I agree. It's really strange. Obsessive. You'd think a couple titles would have calmed it down a bit.

Jeffy25
11-25-2010, 03:53 AM
What the **** u care that I care?

Do I care, or did i make an opinion then defend that opinion with arguments/evidence

No, you are just *****ing about how much money they spend on their team.

Your Red Sox do it too

papipapsmanny
11-25-2010, 04:39 AM
No, you are just *****ing about how much money they spend on their team.

Your Red Sox do it too

No im not at all, and i already stated that the Sox have a competitive advantage and all that.

Apparently you never picked up on reading comprehension because your making **** up and then *****ing about it.

SouljahPhil...
11-25-2010, 04:55 AM

Everybody gets old...I don't get your point at all..Posada will surely be gone as early as next year...Arod would DH in the last 3 or 4 years of his contract.. Tex is signed until 2016 so he will be our 1st baseman until that contract runs out.. CC has an opt out clause after next year but doubt he opts out..AJ Burnett is sign until 2013, 3 years left on his contract and be our 5th or 4th starter depending on who we sign..As for swisher his contract is until 2012 with a club option for that year which will be surely exercise..Granderson is a year later with club option for 2013... So if those 2 outfielders suck we won't exercise their options and sign a younger FA to replace them... OF can easily be replace..

For the next 3 years the old players I see that would be with our team are Arod,tex,Jete,CC,Burnett ANd Lee if we sign him..Arod and tex could still produce good offensive nos until like 2013 or 2014.. CC and Lee would be a very good duo in the next 3 or 4 years.. AJ will always be inconsistent but I'm glad he is only sign for 3 more year and be a 5th starter..Jete.,well his past legacy is the one who would give him this new contract..(which I hate because its obvious he his declining,hope its only for 3 years) of course all this would be pending injuries..

quade36
11-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Its funny. Yankee fans get so defensive when someone claims their team spends a lot of money. My previous posts was in response to a yankee fan saying that the yankees don't drive up salaries, but other teams do. I pointed out that the top paid players are all on the yankees.

Look get off your high horses and realize that there are 30 teams, I repeat 30 teams in the MLB. Last year only one team had a salary of over 200 million. Only 8 teams had a salary of over 100 million. That being said the average yankee player salary is still almost 3 million dollars more then any other team. (Of course the red sox being second) The yankees DO drive up salaries. Sure other teams have big contracts, but you can almost say those are outliers. Lets look at the Mets. They have Santana, Beltran, and K-rod. 3 very high played players. Yet their average salary per player is 5.1 mil.

Bottom line, there is no way a yankee fan and everyone else can see eye to eye. Fans of the 25 or 26 other teams believe in a salary cap and salary min. That means teams like the Marlins can't get away with their crap either. This works for football. It works for basketball. It works for Hockey. But for some stupid reason it doesn't for baseball????

julioluisveve
11-25-2010, 11:38 AM

True. That's what happened with Juan "Igor" Gonzalez. The Yankees offered him more millions, but he chose Texas for the reasons you mentioned + he didn't want to play in New York. Thank God for that!

SouljahPhil...
11-25-2010, 11:57 AM
And there's no need for the Angels to pursue a SP. The Angel's SP is their strength. They need offense. And they'll pursue Beltre and Crawford.

I know..i was replying to a poster...

TheGiantYankee
11-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Typical Yankees, as far as I know no team has offered Cliff Lee anything..bidding against themselves because they simply do not care.

Jeffy25
11-27-2010, 08:37 PM
No im not at all, and i already stated that the Sox have a competitive advantage and all that.

Apparently you never picked up on reading comprehension because your making **** up and then *****ing about it.

I'm making **** up?!

I don't hate the Yankees for spending money, you do.

Your argument is that they spend a lot of money and will be stuck with aged players who are overpaid....yup, they will.

How is it an advantage to over pay for the declines of so many players?

In one sentence you are complaining that they get to spend too much money, in the next sentence you are basically laughing at the organization for over spending for players decline.

You sound like a bad Red Sox fan, just pissed off at the Yankees in general, always looking for something new to complain about. I bet you would ***** about every move they make.

1hardcore
12-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Once again the Yanks buying their wins ....their championships :D

Swishalicious
12-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Once again the Yanks buying their wins ....their championships :D

Jealous much? Nothing in baseball is guaranteed, anything can happen. Do the Yankees have a better chance, of course! But hey, there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of the cards you've been dealt. Don't hate, more power to them =D

CostanzaNumba0
12-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Its funny. Yankee fans get so defensive when someone claims their team spends a lot of money. My previous posts was in response to a yankee fan saying that the yankees don't drive up salaries, but other teams do. I pointed out that the top paid players are all on the yankees.

Look get off your high horses and realize that there are 30 teams, I repeat 30 teams in the MLB. Last year only one team had a salary of over 200 million. Only 8 teams had a salary of over 100 million. That being said the average yankee player salary is still almost 3 million dollars more then any other team. (Of course the red sox being second) The yankees DO drive up salaries. Sure other teams have big contracts, but you can almost say those are outliers. Lets look at the Mets. They have Santana, Beltran, and K-rod. 3 very high played players. Yet their average salary per player is 5.1 mil.

Bottom line, there is no way a yankee fan and everyone else can see eye to eye. Fans of the 25 or 26 other teams believe in a salary cap and salary min. That means teams like the Marlins can't get away with their crap either. This works for football. It works for basketball. It works for Hockey . But for some stupid reason it doesn't for baseball????

Yeah the NBA and NHL are doing reallllll well compared to baseball :facepalm:

oak2455
12-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Yeah the NBA and NHL are doing reallllll well compared to baseball :facepalm:

arent they? NBA lockout and NHL really?

My Sports rankings

NFL 1a
MLB 1b

NBA Distant 3rd

NHL who really cares

Gunzito22
12-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Your argument is that they spend a lot of money and will be stuck with aged players who are overpaid....yup, they will.

How is it an advantage to over pay for the declines of so many players?

the truth is the Yankees overpay for a player and spend alot of money for their decline years in order to have them in their prime. its basically a credit card . You overpay tomorrow in order to play with your new toy today.

but by the way.... EVERY TEAM DOES! For every A-Rod or Cliff Lee (maybe) under contract in New York, there is a Todd Helton in Colorado, or a David Ortiz in Boston (nothing against Ortiz, but he is making $13M to hit 29HR's and leave his glove at home?? You have to admit that his true value is closer to Matsui's $6M or Vlad's $9M).

The Jokemaker
12-01-2010, 04:07 PM
the truth is the Yankees overpay for a player and spend alot of money for their decline years in order to have them in their prime. its basically a credit card . You overpay tomorrow in order to play with your new toy today.

but by the way.... EVERY TEAM DOES! For every A-Rod or Cliff Lee (maybe) under contract in New York, there is a Todd Helton in Colorado, or a David Ortiz in Boston (nothing against Ortiz, but he is making $13M to hit 29HR's and leave his glove at home?? You have to admit that his true value is closer to Matsui's $6M or Vlad's $9M).

Exactly. But no one remembers those contracts, it's the Yankees fault for paying players that makes the Rockies overspend on Helton. If the Yankees didn't overspend on players in the 40s, players today would be getting salaries around 100k.

The Yankees are not the SOLE reason for why contracts have increased in sports. It's due to the current market, current needs from teams, revenues, and to an extent previous contracts. But not ALL of those previous contracts are from the Yankees. The Yankees weren't even the first to have a 100 million dollar contract in baseball, that honor goes to the LA Dodgers. And the largest contract given (at least for a while) was by the Rangers for Arod. Other teams spend and "set the market", not just the Yankees.