PDA

View Full Version : NBPA Exec "99% sure of a lockout" next summer

TopsyTurvy
11-22-2010, 10:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5840275

NBA players' association executive director Billy Hunter said Monday he is "99 percent sure" there will be a lockout next summer.

"I think it's highly probable that there will be a lockout and that's what I'm preparing for because I don't see anything else right now," Hunter said.

"I think the message has to be driven home to I guess that hawkish group of owners that if they're inclined, if they want to lock us out -- because we're not going to strike -- if they want to lock us out and they want to pull the roof down on themselves, then hey, have at it," Hunter said.

Both Hunter and Stern have said progress must be made by February's All-Star break to reduce fears of the first work stoppage since 1998. Hunter isn't sure it'll come by then, saying he's "waiting for some sign, some movement from the owners that they want to reach a reasonable deal.

"Right now they're being unreasonable and I can't tell you when reason's going to set in," he said.

The tennis match continues...

John Walls Era
11-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Don't mean to be a nerd, but how did they get the 99%?

TopsyTurvy
11-22-2010, 10:32 PM

Rhetoric. ;)

gbpackers12
11-22-2010, 10:32 PM
No Football or Basketball? :suicide:

bulldog312
11-22-2010, 10:35 PM

Probably just trying to send a message through the media that the players are prepared for this and won't cave in. I don't take much out of comments like this, because that is usually the intended goal. I'm not saying their won't be a lock out, just that these comments don't influence my thoughts.

John Walls Era
11-22-2010, 10:40 PM
No Football or Basketball? :suicide:

always boring hockey

Mike Oxlong
11-22-2010, 10:45 PM
I hope there is a lockout for eternity.

BaustinSali08
11-22-2010, 10:46 PM
always boring hockey

Might be a good way for Soccer, like the MLS and European game, to gain popularity since nothing else will be on in the Winter.

LAKERMANIA
11-22-2010, 10:52 PM
So no NBA or NFL in 2012? The Mayans were right..

kswissdaf
11-22-2010, 10:52 PM
These problems always get fixed, I wouldn't sweat it

goblazers7
11-22-2010, 10:57 PM
They need to realize that the fans are the ones that are most important

avrpatsfan
11-22-2010, 10:58 PM
If there isn't football and basketball next season I might have to follow soccer. They better fix this ****.

gattaca
11-22-2010, 11:09 PM

lol

Gators123
11-22-2010, 11:40 PM
always boring hockey

Unless your a fan of the Red Wings! :D

torontosports10
11-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Time for the NHL to shine ;)

kgjfan243
11-22-2010, 11:48 PM
wow what am I supposed to watch this time of year, hockey??? Please don't make it come to this.

The Jokemaker
11-23-2010, 01:51 AM
i hope there is then Lebron someone opts out of his deal and signs with another team then all the Miami fans hate him too.

It'd be funny to watch at least.

I really don't think a lockout will happen, too much lost revenue in TV, attendance, etc. All talk.

bringbackfredex
11-23-2010, 02:00 AM
wow what am I supposed to watch this time of year, hockey??? Please don't make it come to this.

NHL >>>>>>>>>> NBA

If you want to watch real basketball next year, watch college. I don't even care if theres a lockout, the NBA sucks.

clutchski
11-23-2010, 02:34 AM
always boring hockey
Thank God there's hockey.

ElMarroAfamado
11-23-2010, 03:00 AM
haha there are people defending Hockey?
Hockey is a joke i dont know how people can take a league serious that just stopped playing for a year and came back like if nothing ever happened....
The NBA better not do this because they will become a joke too.....

pistonsfanomg
11-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Good Riddance

pistonsfanomg
11-23-2010, 10:56 AM
nhl >>>>>>>>>> nba

if you want to watch real basketball next year, watch college. I don't even care if theres a lockout, the nba sucks.

x2

ttam68
11-23-2010, 11:19 AM

Post of the month

xbrackattackx
11-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Lame, greed ruins everything.

jiggin
11-23-2010, 12:40 PM
if this happens I am dumping my season tickets.

overpaid, arrogant, self centered, money hungry douche bags who get to PLAY a game, not only for a living but for a DREAM life, getting the hottest women, the best clothes, huge houses and more...and all they want is MORE MORE MORE and will do it at the cost of their extremely loyal fan base that makes everything above possible?

F-U.

Southsideheat
11-23-2010, 12:43 PM
sure they'll be a lockout, but for how long? A week, month, year? Nobody knows.

Hunter48MVP
11-23-2010, 12:45 PM
NO Basketball!!!:faint:

mjt20mik
11-23-2010, 12:58 PM
if this happens I am dumping my season tickets.

overpaid, arrogant, self centered, money hungry douche bags who get to PLAY a game, not only for a living but for a DREAM life, getting the hottest women, the best clothes, huge houses and more...and all they want is MORE MORE MORE and will do it at the cost of their extremely loyal fan base that makes everything above possible?

F-U.

This. I know a couple of people who are professionals (CAs / Engineers) and they are making roughly 100 - 150 in this recession. These spoiled players are making in the millions to put a ball in a hoop, and they want more. I'm sorry, but I really hope they slash salaries.

ackar
11-23-2010, 01:12 PM
This. I know a couple of people who are professionals (CAs / Engineers) and they are making roughly 100 - 150 in this recession. These spoiled players are making in the millions to put a ball in a hoop, and they want more. I'm sorry, but I really hope they slash salaries.

Yet you guys forget the owners are making way more than they pay the players. That is why both ownership in NFL and NBA do not want to disclose their book keeping methods etc.

It is greed all around and please I am not going to cry for you CAs / Engineers that make between 100 - 150k you know the unemployment rate is almost 15% so they should thanks their lucky stars I know I do even though work can be a chore.

levignjw
11-23-2010, 01:28 PM
NHL >>>>>>>>>> NBA

If you want to watch real basketball next year, watch college. I don't even care if theres a lockout, the NBA sucks.

Amen bretheren.

Da Knicks
11-23-2010, 01:29 PM
The government needs to get into this, what next people are gonna pay attention more to whats going on in politics. Yeah we know why sports where built in the first place! I for one take satisfaction in my knicks and get away from the crap we live in, we could have it worse, so I wont complain too much.

levignjw
11-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Hockey is a joke i dont know how people can take a league serious that just stopped playing for a year and came back like if nothing ever happened....

Yea you're right......people should love to watch a bunch of overrpaid, prima donnas go out and play absolutely no defense and basically conduct a jump shooting contest. No thank you, the NBA is a ****ing joke.

SundaeBest
11-23-2010, 01:35 PM
always boring hockey

Double suicide?

JasonJohnHorn
11-23-2010, 01:37 PM
They need to realize that the fans are the ones that are most important

This is an excellent point, and one both the OWNERS and the players need to heed.

I like the NBA, but if it shut down, another basketball league would open up, and I would watch that.

Lets just get all the millionaires to sit down and realize how much money they have to share before the both stop taking money from the fans who are more than happy to turn it over to them.

Not taking sides on it, just saying both parties need to put their heads on straight and realize who they both need to make happy.

alencp3
11-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Might be a good way for Soccer, like the MLS and European game, to gain popularity since nothing else will be on in the Winter.

:)

NYKalltheway
11-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Does that mean that PSD will lockout as well?

sep11ie
11-23-2010, 05:05 PM
The Rockets beat everyone to it and locked themselves out early.

pebloemer
11-23-2010, 05:24 PM

Because it's not like the NBA has never gone through a lockout before...:rolleyes:

See 1998. I believe there are a couple other lockouts further back in NBA history as well.

I'm not sure sure what the whole "hockey" vs. "basketball" banter is contributing to this thread at all. The only correlation to the thread is that the NHL lockout showed how bad it can get for the fans if the players and league can't find middle ground.

I definitely don't want to endure a missing season, or even a shortened season for that matter. Hopefully it all gets worked out before we start missing games...

ClipperfanKevin
11-23-2010, 05:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5840275

The tennis match continues...

How exactly is billionaires fighting for change from millionaires a tennis match?

BillyHoyle35
11-23-2010, 06:46 PM

this is excellent :clap:

Bramaca
11-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Yet you guys forget the owners are making way more than they pay the players. That is why both ownership in NFL and NBA do not want to disclose their book keeping methods etc.

It is greed all around and please I am not going to cry for you CAs / Engineers that make between 100 - 150k you know the unemployment rate is almost 15% so they should thanks their lucky stars I know I do even though work can be a chore.

Some probably are, some are probably making a slight profit, and some are likely losing money each year. But even if the owners are making more money then the players, so what? Where do you work where you make more money then the owner of the business?

number1nykfan25
11-23-2010, 09:03 PM
baseballs chance to make a move at the nba and nfl if they get lockedout. I dont just see why they cant keep the system as is. I think Stern has done great things for the nba in his time but i think a lockout might hurt his rep a bit.

smith&wesson
11-23-2010, 09:34 PM
I fully suport the players. yes they are over paid. but we pay to see them and i rather the money go to them then the owners. i never paid a dime to watch mark cuban. i pay to watch dirk. thats the most simple way i can put it.

gbpackers12
11-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Does that mean that PSD will lockout as well?

Yes.

Delrayhc
11-23-2010, 10:05 PM
I fully suport the players. yes they are over paid. but we pay to see them and i rather the money go to them then the owners. i never paid a dime to watch mark cuban. i pay to watch dirk. thats the most simple way i can put it.

Agreed , plus the owners are making their money off of the players backs.

Bigbadmoffo
11-23-2010, 10:18 PM
always boring hockey

Hockey is not Boring!! It's football and basketball mix in one. You got skillfull playing like basketball and hitting fighting and grit like football.

BobTheAutomator
11-23-2010, 10:29 PM

Agreed , plus the owners are making their money off of the players backs.

I couldn't agree less. The owners take a business risk by buying an NBA team. They use their own money, often borrow vast sums of money to fund these operations and for that risk they should be rewarded. The owners can take a LOSS, no one else can say that. I would argue that in the NBA there is a greater propensity for this than in other major sports outside of the big teams. The NBA has made part of their business plan being successful in smaller markets and when the economy is down, you are rebuilding, your team doesn't perform the way you thought it would on paper people don't show up. You still need to pay the players, your staff, service your debt, etc. I don't doubt many owners do not turn a profit, but they are usually successful business people who realized the risk they chose to make with their money and they should reap the reward when it pans out.