PDA

View Full Version : The Best Role Players of the last 30 years...

bringinwood
11-22-2010, 08:15 PM
These guys won't lead a team in scoring or assists...

They aren't stars, but are key in the road to a championship...

Who are the best role players of the last 30 years ???

Here is my list to kick things off...

5.) Charles Oakley - The former 1st rounder is widely considered one of the better players to have never won a title... He reputation for being a hard-nosed defender, tenacious defender, and no nonsense personality earned him league wide praise... Had it not been for his departure from the Jordan era bulls, he would have won multiple titles...

4.) Bruce Bowen - One of the toughest perimeter defenders in history... His accolades as a 5x all defense 1st teamer and 3x all defense 2nd teamer are second to his 3 titles with the Spurs... Not the most talented, but one of the grittiest players in history...

3.) Derrick Fisher - A 5 time NBA champion with the Lakers... Fisher is one of the most clutch shooters in NBA history... His famous 0.4 second shot is widely considered one of the greatest in history...

2.) Dennis Rodman - The 5 time champion is often overshadowed by his colorful antics... His reputation as one of the toughest defenders in basketball was 2nd only to his rebounding... A two time defensive player of the year, Rodman was also a 7x all defense 1st teamer... A true role player if there ever was one...

1.) Robert Horry - Mr. Bigshot as he has been known throughout his career, is a 7x NBA champion... He won titles with the Rockets, Spurs, and Lakers... One of three NBA players in history to win consecutive titles with different teams, Horry set records for steals in a finals game with 7 and three pointers in a quarter with 5... He has hit several memorable shots over the course of his career that won or helped win series deep in playoff runs...

Anyone got a list or a take on my list ???

DerekRE_3
11-22-2010, 08:22 PM
I'd take Rodman over Horry, but that's me.

Hawkeye15
11-22-2010, 08:24 PM
pretty good list dude. I thought Horry and Rodman the second I saw the thread title

Kevj77
11-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Are Oakley and Rodman role players? At the very least I don't think Rodman was a role player, he is borderline HOFer. Steve Kerr or Michael Cooper could make that list.

Gators123
11-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Tayshaun Prince

bringinwood
11-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Are Oakley and Rodman role players? At the very least I don't think Rodman was a role player, he is borderline HOFer. Steve Kerr or Michael Cooper could make that list.

Depends on what your definition of " role player " is...

Rodman and Oakley had very specific roles on their respective teams, rebounding and defense...

Rodman is a borderline HOF as a role player which is impressive...

Guys like Jordan, Magic, Bird, LeBron, Wade, Kobe and others had or have multiple roles on their teams...

Jordan was a perennial all defense 1st team... He could block shots, rebound, steal the ball, and score with anyone in history...

It wasn't like Rodman was scoring 20 a game... He was the ultimate role player...

jimbobjarree
11-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Jeff Hornacek

tcav701
11-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Ben Wallace

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 08:38 PM
udonis haslem

TrueFan420
11-22-2010, 08:39 PM
o and shane battier

Gators123
11-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Ben Wallace

Not a role player.

KnicksorBust
11-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Rodman was so damn good that I don't put him in the "role player" category but the rest of your list is fantastic.

tcav701
11-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Not a role player.

How was Rodman a role player and Wallace wasn't?

Gators123
11-22-2010, 08:44 PM
How was Rodman a role player and Wallace wasn't?

Rodman wasn't a Role Player IMO.

dtmagnet
11-22-2010, 08:52 PM
That's a great list but a name that came to me as well is Ben Wallace.

Geargo Wallace
11-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Rodman > Horry

levignjw
11-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Allen Iverson ;-)

Khalifa21
11-22-2010, 08:57 PM
First thought for me was Rodman and Horry, so it's a good list in my eyes.

tredigs
11-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Rodman? No. He was an amazing defender, and possibly the best rebounder in NBA history. I like the post, and do understand the argument for him being a role player being that his specific "role" was to rebound and defend (though he was actually an important piece to their offense as well given his hard screens and offensive boards), but he was simply too big of a cog to be considered just that.

A good rule of thumb is that any time somebody is top 3 all time in one of the most important facets of the game, and has a HUGE impact in EVERY game, it becomes disrespectful to consider them a role player. Do we consider offensive juggernauts who do nothing on D (many of them actually hurting their team) a role player? No, of course not. Should be no different for defensive/rebounding juggernauts.

numba1CHANGsta
11-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Bowen
Fisher
Horry
Rodman
Harper
Cooper
Kerr
Posey
Odom
B. Scott

All of these players were crucial to most of those championship teams from the past 30 years and they all have won multiple rings.

Kevj77
11-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Rodman just doesn't seem like a role player to me. He was much more then a role player.

7x first team defense
7x NBA leading rebounder
2x DPOY
2x all star

KnicksorBust
11-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Do we consider offensive juggernauts who do nothing on D (many of them actually hurting their team) a role player?

Question for the room:
Vinnie Johnson - Role Player? I say add him to the list.

3's set u free
11-22-2010, 10:06 PM
A true roll player is not asked to have a significant impact on games night in and night out. So guys like Ben Wallace, Rodman, Bruce Bowen, etc. do not count. All these guys were counted on night in and night out, which means they are not simply roll players.

Roll players typically are not starters, and they wont have a big impact every game. Guys like Horry, Mario Elie, Fisher (although a starter, they expect absolutely nothing of him except big shots), James Posey, Steve Kerr, etc are all great roll players.

They are guys that if werent on the team, you wouldnt notice much of an impact, however they have come through in big moments which have won games.

fadedmario
11-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Bill Laimbeer (baddest white boy ever)

JermanJaysFan
11-22-2010, 10:17 PM
A true roll player is not asked to have a significant impact on games night in and night out. So guys like Ben Wallace, Rodman, Bruce Bowen, etc. do not count. All these guys were counted on night in and night out, which means they are not simply roll players.

Roll players typically are not starters, and they wont have a big impact every game. Guys like Horry, Mario Elie, Fisher (although a starter, they expect absolutely nothing of him except big shots), James Posey, Steve Kerr, etc are all great roll players.

They are guys that if werent on the team, you wouldnt notice much of an impact, however they have come through in big moments which have won games.

While your post may be right in reference to roll players, it certainly isn't in reference to role players. In my mind, Rodman, Bowen etc. all count.

bulldog312
11-22-2010, 10:22 PM
In my mind, role players are guys that you don't ask to score on most nights. That doesn't mean they can't be decent scorers, but they aren't guys that get plays run for them. Their points usually come off of put backs, or finishing off a play created by someone else, whether it be a dunk or a kick out 3. So all of the guys listed I believe are role players. And I think the list is pretty good.

3's set u free
11-22-2010, 10:50 PM
While your post may be right in reference to roll players, it certainly isn't in reference to role players. In my mind, Rodman, Bowen etc. all count.

So your main argument is I didn't spell role correctly therefore in your mind those other guys count..... Great point!!!

kblo247
11-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Bowen
Fisher
Horry
Rodman
Harper
Cooper
Kerr
Posey
Odom
B. Scott

All of these players were crucial to most of those championship teams from the past 30 years and they all have won multiple rings.

Lacks Rick Fox, Toni Kukoc, Kenny "The True Jet" Smith, Horace Grant, and Bruce Bowen off the top of my head

BullsFan_1
11-23-2010, 01:38 AM
Ben Wallace was the first to come to mind as well.

It really depends on what your definition of a role player is. Technically, every player has a role on a team...so anyone could be a "role player".