PDA

View Full Version : Say it aint so..Is A.I broke?

spreadeagle
11-22-2010, 03:40 PM
The sad sideshow that Allen Iverson has become came into our living rooms Sunday, with NBA TV broadcasting Iverson’s most recent game with the Besiktas Cola Turka Black Eagles. The result was limited minutes with and two points.

The whole thing leaves you wondering why. Why he couldn’t fit in with an NBA team? Why no team was willing to take another risk on him (although watching him play and seeing his attitude last year, you kind of get it)? Why he decided to go to Turkey in the first place?

The last question may have been answered by a fantastic piece written by the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Kate Fagan, who flew to Turkey to find out that not that many people in Turkey care about Allen Iverson. She ads this tidbit.

The 76ers’ former all-everything guard is broke – by all accounts except his own – and playing here in Istanbul for a number of reasons, none of which is to become an ambassador for Turkey’s solid, but often overlooked, professional league.

Iverson has made about $154 million in salary during his NBA career, plus he had multimillion dollar endorsement deals. He will make $4 million for two seasons in Turkey. It is certainly not impossible that he is broke, just sad.

But that is kind of how you end up here, at this point in the story. The odd and sad end of one of basketball’s most interesting and unique careers.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/22/why-turkey-apparently-allen-iverson-needed-the-money/

ShakeN'Bake
11-22-2010, 03:42 PM
That's a lot of money to spend. Hopefully he will do better with his 4 million this time around.

GodsSon
11-22-2010, 03:42 PM
I believe it

Gators123
11-22-2010, 03:44 PM
That's what happens when you have a gambling problem.

jiggin
11-22-2010, 03:48 PM
wow, assume much? what is the saying about assuming?

I sure am glad people don't look at me and my life under a microscope, always wanting to find a problem to point out to others.

He got limited minutes and it was his first game in a european style of basketball playing with a bunch of teammates who have played together for a while.

why did people think he was going to blow the doors off in the game? why did anyone think the coach would use him above or even at regular minute levels?

I think people are being WAY to crazy with their expectations.

DaBUU
11-22-2010, 03:55 PM
too bad he couldnt accept coming off the bench for 15-20 mins a game. hed still be useful for a bunch of teams

Geargo Wallace
11-22-2010, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't be surprised but I doubt that he is broke. The man just wants to play and be the focal point once again.

Antipod
11-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Broke? HAHA )))
Let`s say he had 100 mil, now he`s left like what, 2-3 mil? Gimi 1 mil and i would love to call myself broke xD

Giaps
11-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Sounds like a boat load of speculation.

alchemist0123
11-22-2010, 04:27 PM
i was just thinking about the same thing cuz iverson has pride and for him to go abroad to earn 4mil, something is just not right. but i guess a man's got to do what he's got do to earn a living right.

jimbobjarree
11-22-2010, 04:51 PM
would be mightily impressive if he is broke

SteveNash
11-22-2010, 05:27 PM
too bad he couldnt accept coming off the bench for 15-20 mins a game. hed still be useful for a bunch of teams

Which ones?

Rentzias
11-22-2010, 05:33 PM
would be mightily impressive if he is broke

Not too impressive. It happens more frequently than you think.

whitemamba33
11-22-2010, 05:35 PM
The guy is underperforming in Turkey.

Why are we even still talking about him?

He is the definition of "washed up".

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-22-2010, 05:46 PM
lol some chick assuming he's broke?

fadedmario
11-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Good

bringinwood
11-22-2010, 05:54 PM
To say he " made " 154 MM is a little over stated to make the story look better...

The normal taxation rate of incomes over 300,000 is about 50 %... It varies year to year, but when you consider state and federal taxes combined, it usually adds up to about that...

So, that would mean he blew through 77 MM dollars...

With him playing in Turkey and having the issues he's had in the past, I wouldn't be suprised...

However, without solid confirmation, it's a little premature to speculate that he is, in fact, broke...

What we consider broke is a little different... He could have a ton of liquidable assets such as property, stocks, and bonds...

I doubt he is in the same boat as Jason Caffey or Antoine Walker...

netsgiantsyanks
11-22-2010, 05:55 PM
^^this guy really does hate ai with a passion huh?

Blazers#1Fan
11-22-2010, 05:59 PM
MC HAMMER spent like 30 million in a 1-3year span iverson could easily have spent 100-300 million in a 10 year span he aint broke but he aint a 100millionaire anymore thats what rich people call broke lol

can somebody tell iverson gambling is for people who have no money trying to get money not people who have alot of money why would you gamble to win 4-200 thousand when you have that amount +plus in the bank?

Draco
11-22-2010, 06:01 PM
A fool and his money...

Kashmir13579
11-22-2010, 06:03 PM
figuratively and literally

checkit
11-22-2010, 06:29 PM
sounds like speculation

ChaseHamels
11-22-2010, 06:53 PM
A few years back I was sitting next to a guy who sold cars at a Mercedes dealership outside Philly and the guy told me AI had FOURTEEN different leased Mercedes for him and his "crew"...

You'd be surprised how fast it can go..

bringinwood
11-22-2010, 07:05 PM
A few years back I was sitting next to a guy who sold cars at a Mercedes dealership outside Philly and the guy told me AI had FOURTEEN different leased Mercedes for him and his "crew"...

You'd be surprised how fast it can go..

It's funny how fast money can go when you don't budget properly...

Colin Cowherd ( whatever your opinion is of him as a sportscaster ) made some pretty interesting points in regards to athletes and their money...

Say you get a contract for 10 MM over two years...

5MM of that is automatically going to the government...

You have 5MM left... Some buy million dollar houses... Alright, so you have 4MM left...

Add in the Bentley, retirement house, lavish dinners, child support, and expenditures for your family and friends...

It's gone in a year...

You bought your house over market value... The Bentley lost 1/2 it's value once it left the lot and your retirement house is over value as well...

So, you go into debt... You're spending money you haven't earned yet...
Add in the drug and gambling addictions alot of athletes, who have 6 months off at a time, develop and it's no wonder they are broke in a couple of seasons...

kgjfan243
11-22-2010, 07:16 PM
how the mighty have fallen

AddiX
11-22-2010, 07:18 PM
This dude is loving practice now...

ChaseHamels
11-22-2010, 07:21 PM
It's funny how fast money can go when you don't budget properly...

Colin Cowherd ( whatever your opinion is of him as a sportscaster ) made some pretty interesting points in regards to athletes and their money...

Say you get a contract for 10 MM over two years...

5MM of that is automatically going to the government...

You have 5MM left... Some buy million dollar houses... Alright, so you have 4MM left...

Add in the Bentley, retirement house, lavish dinners, child support, and expenditures for your family and friends...

It's gone in a year...

You bought your house over market value... The Bentley lost 1/2 it's value once it left the lot and your retirement house is over value as well...

So, you go into debt... You're spending money you haven't earned yet...
Add in the drug and gambling addictions alot of athletes, who have 6 months off at a time, develop and it's no wonder they are broke in a couple of seasons...

Well of course, none of these guys should EVER be broke again if they invest properly... but its tough to tell that to the twenty year old that comes from nothing.

C-Dub
11-22-2010, 07:35 PM
hater thread

ChaseHamels
11-22-2010, 07:39 PM
hater thread

whatever that means.:rolleyes:

KeithLBC
11-22-2010, 08:48 PM
wow, assume much? what is the saying about assuming?

I sure am glad people don't look at me and my life under a microscope, always wanting to find a problem to point out to others.

He got limited minutes and it was his first game in a european style of basketball playing with a bunch of teammates who have played together for a while.

why did people think he was going to blow the doors off in the game? why did anyone think the coach would use him above or even at regular minute levels?

I think people are being WAY to crazy with their expectations.

Why are you assuming he has anything left in the tank? Maybe at this point, that's the best effort he can put forth. Maybe the reason he didn't catch on with an NBA team is because he's washed up?

The reason people are surprised that he laid an egg is because they still think of him as being relevant. Why else would ESPN have televised a game played in another country that has NOTHING to do with the NBA?

When everyone realizes he's just a side show at this point, he'll stop getting publicity and he'll go away.

I'm not sure why everyone gets on Brett Favre about not wanting to retire so much but they give AI a "pass".

Chi-Town Sports
11-22-2010, 09:24 PM
hater thread
This, how can you believe some random sports writer? Maybe he loves the game, or it has been in his life all his life, things like that are not easy to walk away from.

smith&wesson
11-22-2010, 09:26 PM
so theres no real indication that he is broke. its all just an assumption ? that is a terrible article.

leave A.I alone, the guy just wants to play who cares where he plays or how good he does. if his ego was soo big in the first place he wouldnt be playing down there. and if he needed money soo bad he could just do commercials.

and dont say he cant because iverson is still a name that recognized any where in north america and he was really broke he could find a gig.

he wants to play ball, thats his gig let him do his thing.

didnt any one ever chear for this guy ? why kill a hero because he is old and past his prime. who cares.

Hustlenomics
11-22-2010, 11:10 PM
lol @ him spending 100 + million dollars ..haters these days

Gators123
11-22-2010, 11:21 PM
lol @ him spending 100 + million dollars ..haters these days

:confused:

Do you think its not possible to spend 100 million dollars?

Hustlenomics
11-22-2010, 11:40 PM
:confused:

Do you think its not possible to spend 100 million dollars?

ha a pistons fan..won't even bother

Jewelz0376
11-23-2010, 12:30 AM
He just signed a 4 million dollar contract...but he's "broke" :rolleyes:..yea ok

I'd love to be that kind of "broke"