PDA

View Full Version : Kid dies after fall from luxury suite at Lakers game

asandhu23
11-22-2010, 01:27 PM
LOS ANGELES(AP) -- A toddler has died after falling 50 feet from a luxury suite at the Los Angeles Lakers game against the Golden State Warriors in the Staples Center arena.

Police Sgt. Frank Alvelais says early Monday that the boy, believed to be 2 or 3 years old, was taken to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, where he died. The boy's name hasn't been released.

The boy fell from the third level top tier of the luxury suites several minutes after the Lakers beat the Warriors 117-89 on Sunday night.

Witnesses told the Los Angeles Times the boy was moving his arms, legs and head before paramedics took him out of arena on a stretcher.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/11/22/lakers-tragedy/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

DLeeicious
11-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Saw that, so sad :(

More-Than-Most
11-22-2010, 01:34 PM
I was just about to post this as well... This is why I never sit right next to the barrier things... even in baseball... I am extremely scared that something like this would happen. This is so sad.

*Superman*
11-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Yeah. Horrible.

I've always been scared of the upper bowl just in case that ever happened.

ShakeN'Bake
11-22-2010, 01:43 PM
How exactly did his parents let this happen?

Teeboy1487
11-22-2010, 01:44 PM
I saw this earlier. Man, this is a tragedy. RIP and my condolences to the young toddler's family.

ShakeN'Bake
11-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Seriously, how bad of parents do you have to be to let your kid fall out of a luxury box, that's ridiculous.

More-Than-Most
11-22-2010, 01:47 PM

Agreed... I wont even let my Nephew stand on my couch because i am scared he will fall and hit his head... Not sure how they could let him anywhere near it. Really really sad thing to happen that should have been prevented in my opinion.

SouthSideRookie
11-22-2010, 01:49 PM

This is exactly what I ask myself everytime I hear of a tragedy like this. I will never understand how some parents can be so irresposible or really careless.

avrpatsfan
11-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Wow this is awful. It would be nice if there was a way to prevent deaths like this.

Public Enemy #1
11-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Just terrible. I feel bad for the family. :(

ShakeN'Bake
11-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Wow this is awful. It would be nice if there was a way to prevent deaths like this.

There is. Whoever was with the child should have been watching him properly. there is absolutely no reason this should have happened.

Storch
11-22-2010, 02:02 PM
What kind of parents would bring a 2 year old to a Laker game??? Idiots.

ShakeN'Bake
11-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Its not necessary, but I hope the Lakers do something nice for the memory of this kid.

ManRam
11-22-2010, 02:04 PM
I don't think you can blame the parents for taking him to a sporting event, especially when they had luxury box seats.

This is terrible news. So sad. I can't imagine what it would have been like to witness that. Wow.

Sadds The Gr8
11-22-2010, 02:05 PM

exactly...nothing good could happen since the kid most likely wouldn't watch the game, and won't even know what's going on. Only something bad could happen...find a babysitter or something.

jiggin
11-22-2010, 02:05 PM
wow...basketball seems so small and so insignificant when you read something like this.

ShakeN'Bake
11-22-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't think you can blame the parents for taking him to a sporting event, especially when they had luxury box seats.

This is terrible news. So sad. I can't imagine what it would have been like to witness that. Wow.

I don't blame them for taking their kid to a game. I blame them for not watching their kid properly.

jiggin
11-22-2010, 02:08 PM

lots of people...and that isn't the issue. Paying attention to what your child is doing is the issue.

I took my 3 year old (when he was 3) to MANY games...but HE comes first and most of the time we end up leaving sometime around half time.

By the way, my son loves it. Especially the time out and in between quarters "shows" they put on. :)

Rego247
11-22-2010, 02:15 PM
i dont mean to judge the parents, but how could they let something like this happen?

D1JM
11-22-2010, 02:26 PM
i dont mean to judge the parents, but how could they let something like this happen?

You take your eye off a toddler and they are already sticking something in their mouth or trying to climb something. Kids aren't for everyone because they require alot of attention.

lowdown32
11-22-2010, 02:45 PM
i feel sorry for those parents

checkit
11-22-2010, 02:46 PM
This is so sad. It could have been prevented.

xbrackattackx
11-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Everyone saying "Who takes a 2-3 year old to a game" Why not?.I loved going to games as a kid, And I wasn't stupid enough to get near a edge..It's not their fault the Lakers "Luxury Boxes" Aren't safe. I smell a lawsuit. I hate that a kid died and it's a tragedy but it does not mean they were bad parents.

CB29
11-22-2010, 02:51 PM
man it must be hell for those parents right now... i hope the lakers can do some kind of tribute for the kid... but just terrible to hear stuff like this

kblo247
11-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Everyone saying "Who takes a 2-3 year old to a game" Why not?.I loved going to games as a kid, And I wasn't stupid enough to get near a edge..It's not their fault the Lakers "Luxury Boxes" Aren't safe. I smell a lawsuit. I hate that a kid died and it's a tragedy but it does not mean they were bad parents.

First off it is Staples luxury boxes, not the Lakers or Clippers. Secondly the glass barrier goes up to the thigh of most adults/teens when standing.

The fact is the parents, guardians, siblings, or whomever took him should have watched the kid intently at that height and around that many people. According to some talk on ESPN Radio the poor kid was standing on his chair and leaning over the barricade to take pictures.

Why would you give a kid a camera or allow him to stand on his chair to try and take pictures as a responsible adult, guardian, whatever? They should have known better and took them themselves and not let the kid stand on a chair by the glass barricade since that increases the likelihood that an older person, let alone a toddler who lacks physical strength to brace himself could fall and possibly hurt or sadly kill themselves.

It is just sad that a kid lost his life because someone who is meant to take care of him was to inattentive and didn't have their priorities in order.

SpeeMN
11-22-2010, 02:57 PM
It is nobody's fault other than:

The Architect who designed the fencing
or
The Engineer who neglected proper safety precautions
but
The Lakers will be paying for this

StriveGreatness
11-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Terrible parents. How in the hell do you let that happen?

kylem4711
11-22-2010, 03:02 PM
stupid thing is the parents will probably try and sue. dumb parents

ShakeN'Bake
11-22-2010, 03:02 PM

or
but

Are you serious? Its completely whoever took him to the game's fault. Pay attention to your freaking kid.

Baller1
11-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Awful to hear.

But I really do want to know what exactly the parents were doing.

ManRam
11-22-2010, 03:04 PM
I really don't feel comfortable assigning blame in a situation like this so quickly. First off, none of us know what happened besides the fact that the kid fell. Secondly, a 2-year-old just died; why do people feel a need to assign blame right away, rather than recognizing the tragedy and showing compassion? I don't get why that's become the norm; blame, blame, blame and blame some more.

My prayers go out to the family and friends. Terrible news.

More-Than-Most
11-22-2010, 03:08 PM

Can you remember when you were 2???? Because a vast majority of people in general cant... How do you know what your judgment at the age of 2 was??? A child's judgment in general at the age of 1-5 is curiosity to everything and in no way shape or form should be put in a situation to where something like this could happen.

Also I am pretty sure the Lakers Luxury Boxes are safe and similar to other teams in the league and are they in no way liable unless where they were sitting caved in or something to that magnitude... Its the parents here... It has to be... There is no excuse for a child to be in that type of situation.

kblo247
11-22-2010, 03:10 PM
I really don't feel comfortable assigning blame in a situation like this so quickly. First off, none of us know what happened besides the fact that the kid fell. Secondly, a 2-year-old just died; why do people feel a need to assign blame right away, rather than recognizing the tragedy and showing compassion? I don't get why that's become the norm; blame, blame, blame and blame some more.

I can't speak for others, but I am sad for the kid and overly pissed at the parents for not doing their job and protecting the kid.

If the report that they let the kid stand on a char and lean over the barrier to take pics is true, then I can't help but blame them and feel like they need their ***** whooped.

Reyes6
11-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Soooo any video?

CHANGO
11-22-2010, 03:14 PM
wow...basketball seems so small and so insignificant when you read something like this.

This x1000

My condolences to the family.

Will they give the last goodbye to the child in the Bulls-Lakers game?

ShakeN'Bake
11-22-2010, 03:14 PM
I can't speak for others, but I am sad for the kid and overly pissed at the parents for not doing their job and protecting the kid.

If the report that they let the kid stand on a char and lean over the barrier to take pics is true, then I can't help but blame them and feel like they need their ***** whooped.

This is exactly how I feel.

Hey look at that we agreed twice in one day.

Da Knicks
11-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Man this is so sad, feel bad for the parents or whoever was responsible for the kid.

More-Than-Most
11-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Feel bad for the kid and the people that witnessed it... It was said that it happened after the game... If that's true hopefully not to many people witnessed this live because that is something you never forget.

SugeKnight
11-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Soooo any video?

:pity: why would you want to see a video of the boy dieing?

Sadds The Gr8
11-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Can you remember when you were 2???? Because a vast majority of people in general cant... How do you know what your judgment at the age of 2 was??? A child's judgment in general at the age of 1-5 is curiosity to everything and in no way shape or form should be put in a situation to where something like this could happen.

exactly my point. alot of people think it's unnecessary to bring young kids to sporting events. If the child is old enough to speak, and actually enjoy the entertainment, then ok. But a 2 year old going is pointless because they don't even know what's going on...no good comes out of it. My brother never brought his kids to a sporting event when they were that young. Parents should get babysitters when they go to these events. I'd say a proper age would be 4-5, where kids will actually know what's going on, and are old enough to enjoy the moment. taking a kid to a sporting event at 2 is pointless.

John Walls Era
11-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Did they even stop the game for this?

Sadds The Gr8
11-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Did they even stop the game for this?

it was after the game wasn't it?

EDIT:

The boy fell from the third level top tier of the luxury suites several minutes after the Lakers beat the Warriors 117-89 on Sunday night.

Gators123
11-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Soooo any video?

I feel sorry for you.

Awful story.

SchyGuy11
11-22-2010, 03:53 PM
tragic, i don't get how parents could let this happen?

John Walls Era
11-22-2010, 03:53 PM
it was after the game wasn't it?

EDIT:

My bad. Didn't really read it, I just saw it this morning.

I hope they stopped the celebrating at least. Also where were the parents?

scottie
11-22-2010, 03:56 PM
My heart goes out to the parents of this young child who has died. This is a very sad situation and I wish this never happened.

levignjw
11-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Soooo any video?

Really?

asandhu23
11-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Awful to hear.

But I really do want to know what exactly the parents were doing.

they were making the beast with two backs.

metsfaninSTL
11-22-2010, 04:02 PM
thats horrible

jetsforever
11-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Tragic. RIP.

Someone said he was trying to take some pictures and he fell. So sad. :(

a4anthony
11-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Soooo any video?

Are you serious? What kind of person are you, do you really want to see a small child die? Or anyone for that matter.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Zefflin
11-22-2010, 04:13 PM
I would never let my child get away from me at a Laker game, jesus...it's a shame. Kid died on the way to the hospital, tragic ****.

Jahari Kavi
11-22-2010, 04:14 PM

exactly.....

J_M_B
11-22-2010, 04:16 PM
That horrible. I can't imagine what that family is going through right now. My condolences go out to the toddler's love ones.

AddiX
11-22-2010, 04:18 PM
They were trying to take a picture of it against a railing or some ****, and the baby fell.

I wonder if charges will be pressed.

kikeyanez
11-22-2010, 04:21 PM
everytime i go to the games and i look up,in the back of my mind i always tell my self one day a little kid is goin to fall and that day came, how sad.. they shouldint allow kids under 10 years of age to sit that high,they should only be allowed to be seated in the lower levels just my opinion,thats why i never take my kids to the game cuase i fear one day this mite happen

Sixerlover
11-22-2010, 04:30 PM
pray for that family.

rasajr23
11-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Look guys its a tragedy when any parent has to bury their children. The guilt that they have will be something most of us can never understand. Eric Claptons kid also fell but it was off of a building from the 53rd floor. Its sad but the truth is anything can happen in a blink of an eye with kids. To say why was the kid at the game? Cmon bro seriously If I had a kid I would want him there as well. As far as the guy that said "So...Any video?"....lol... I actually thought the same thing... Not so we can watch it but so that the authorities could see what really happened that night. Some of you guys are too quick to bash comments and you may not even know where the guys is coming from.

knicksfan42
11-22-2010, 04:44 PM

Right, but you can blame the parents for allowing the child to fall out of the luxury box.

SNYmets86
11-22-2010, 04:46 PM
R.i.p young one... damnn

jackdawson
11-22-2010, 04:47 PM
How sad :( This shows how careless the parents were:facepalm:

Hustla23
11-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Can they finally raise the damn height of the bars/railings?

Those things go up to your waist, max.

It shouldn't be so damn low that you can literally just trip and fall over one of them.

They should be up to the bottom of one's chest, at the minimum.

ShadyTip
11-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Wish it was the parents

king4day
11-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Really sad. With all the drunks at these games, I'm surprised we don't hear more stories like this.

RamsfOOl
11-22-2010, 06:01 PM
This is rediculously upsetting. Wow.

adidas2307
11-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Rest in piece little guy.
This is 100% the parent's fault and anyone even slightly feeling it isn't, is terribly wrong.

dtmagnet
11-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Man that is tragic, God be with the family.

Bruno
11-22-2010, 06:49 PM
I've been in those suits before. The glass railing seems pretty low when you're standing next to it. The kid, since he was two must have literally crawled over it. His parents should have been watching him, nobody should have let him walk in the seating area by himself, what a tragedy.

macc
11-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Yes the parents should be accountable for not watching their child properly but at the same time, if a 2 yr old can get to an area where they can fall 50 ft then you have to put some blame on the stadium itself. I understand not everything can be child proof but at those heights it should be child proof for a 2 yr old.

Kevj77
11-22-2010, 07:21 PM

or
but
The Lakers will be paying for thisWhy would they pay for it? They don't own Staples. What was his parents doing when he fell?

Really sad.

el_primo_nano
11-22-2010, 07:42 PM
oh my goodness so tragic

abe_froman
11-22-2010, 08:26 PM

or
but

how? the box met every safety code ,and this is the first time its ever happened.think of all the thousands of people(yes including some toodlers)that have been in that box at some point since the opening of staples.and this is the first time its happened.its not anyone's fault,it wasnt a failure of design,if everyone except just one walk away safely.its tragic yes,but it really was a one in a million shot...just unlucky for him and his family that he was that one.

dnewguy
11-22-2010, 08:27 PM
sad story

Gram
11-22-2010, 08:27 PM
he got aborted. onto the next one..

That's a pretty *** ked up thing to say man.

Mplsman
11-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Damn that's terrible.

junion
11-22-2010, 08:38 PM
i think it's fine to take your kid to a sporting event or anywhere (unless of course it's a bar or something), but wherever you take them, just don't take your eye off of them.

how can people say "how can you take your 2-year-old to a game?"? things like this can happen anywhere: disneyland, hotels, etc. what the real problem was that the parents or whoever was taking care of the kid didn't watch him enough.

i think i read in the article (or one of them) that they're treating it as a child-abuse issue. the parents were looking at the camera to see the pictures they took - instead of watching their kid.

that sucks, and no matter who you blame, the fact is that the kid is dead, and that's the worse part.

albertc86
11-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Unbelievable. That's exactly what I'm asking. If the arena is built to code then how long was that kid unsupervised for him to fall over like that?

masTOR_shake1
11-22-2010, 10:04 PM
****. such a shame, r.i.p kid. :(

Hunter48MVP
11-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Sad day for the Toddler's family. My prayers go out to the family.

SA5195
11-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Terrible news :(

xabial
11-22-2010, 10:12 PM
sucks..

StriveGreatness
11-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Alright now that the dick thread got closed...back to serious news and thread.

Very sad. But how did the parents lose sight of their 2 year old kid? Sad. Sad. Sad.

truplayer199
11-22-2010, 10:36 PM
This is so sad. R.I.P little one. Whoever say it is not the parents fault is seriously mistaken. I'm a parent myself and whatever happens to my child on my watch is definitely my fault.

Raph12
11-23-2010, 12:55 AM
That's sad, Staple's center should have a moment of silence before the next game for him...

BaustinSali08
11-23-2010, 01:02 AM
They need to definitely look at fan safety for all sports stadiums. I mean I know it's hard to fall from your seat but accidents do happen and I feel this one could have been prevented. RIP!

slyone_nyc
11-23-2010, 01:17 AM
i cant recall where, but i read the kid was taking pictures. this is really sad news, my condolences to the toddlers family :( . i have been in the luxury suites in madison square garden and the barriers are very low there as well, i didn't sit in the 1st row because that made me uncomfortable, the barriers are knee to thigh high... seems very unsafe and don't take this the wrong way, but im surprised something like this hasn't happened before in those suites... very dangerous, imo...

RollinDeep
11-23-2010, 01:23 AM
Heights like that with low barriers make me nervous. Hopefully all event centers like this are adjusted to compensate for those times kids get lost so that we're talking about a lost kid being found instead of a lost kid falling off. Parent's are ultimately responsible, but a safeguard should be implemented.

ChI_ShIzzLe
11-23-2010, 01:26 AM
I don't know how the parents are gonna live with this the rest of their lives knowing that they could've prevented their child from dying if they only were a little more attentive. Sad.

skiflyer
11-23-2010, 01:57 AM
I've taken all 3 of my children to Laker games since they were born and they are all very knowledgeable Laker fans now. One thing that never happened was they were NEVER left alone or close to stairs or anywhere they could fall, let alone a sky box with an open front.

The news said the parents were looking for the child when they found out he fell. Seems like they were not paying attention to him. My guess is that he probably saw the purple and gold streamers at the buzzer and tried to reach out without realizing he would fall. Two year olds just see the glitter not the danger, that's the parents job. The parents were looking at digital photo's when the young boy fell.

The glass rails are on top of concrete and about waist high on an adult. The building is in compliance with city codes, Department of Building and Safety spokesman David Lara said.

Building regulations require guardrails that are at least 26 inches high in front of seats, he said. Guardrails in front of stairs must be 42 inches high.

I have said a few prayers for young Lucas Tang! God Bless Him!

Kashmir13579
11-23-2010, 04:43 AM
****ed up

Wade>You
05-02-2012, 10:27 PM
What a tragedy. Hopefully something gets done about this so it doesn't happen in the future.

ryang
05-02-2012, 11:52 PM
anybody who talks about the death of a child would get slapt if I met them.. I would turn you into a female..

JC_
05-03-2012, 12:00 AM
:( that's messed up.

DODGERS&LAKERS
05-03-2012, 12:03 AM
This is old and it got bumped by an idiot

beasted86
05-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Soooo any video?

I love these "Pics or it didn't happen" type of lames on PSD.

Only on the internet.

Cfrey
05-03-2012, 01:15 AM
I thought this was jason kidd for a second

anyway, sad. rip

gotoHcarolina52
05-03-2012, 01:26 AM
I thought this was jason kidd for a second

anyway, sad. rip

I'm not going to lie, I lol'ed for a little bit. :hide:

PurpleJesus
05-03-2012, 01:39 AM
this thread is 2 years old...

Teeboy1487
05-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Who would bump this? Just plain idiotic.

MJ-BULLS
05-03-2012, 02:27 AM
please lets not bump old threads.